History of Tioga County, Pennsylvania
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Duncan Township, - Antrim
By John L. Sexton Jr.
Duncan Township was formed from the townships of Delmar, Charleston and Morris, and simmer 1873. Nearly all the land in Duncan is owned by the Fall Brook Coal Co., and a population is chiefly confined to the village of Antrim, where is the only Post Office. Duncan is bounded on the north by the townships of Delmar and Charleston, on that east by Bloss and Morris, on the south by Morris, and on the west by Morris and Delmar. The history of the Township is principally confined to that of Antrim.
First Inhabitants and Enterprises
In May 1866 Thomas Farrer and John Smith, employees of the Fall Brook Coal Co. Commenced investigations for coal in the mountain wilderness which then was to be found south and west of Wellsboro. They were men experienced in cold formations, and good with men. A Cary their provisions with them, and erected temporary cabins beside old logs or under the trees of the forest. Their examinations continued during the year, and a fixed upon a point where they were quite sure coal could be found in paying quantities. Arrangements were made by Duncan S. Magee and Humphries Brewer for the land, and so well satisfied with the reports of Farrer and Smith that they caused Benjamin J. Franklin, assisted by James Hoffman, Wilbur Patrick, John George Smith, and Isaac Bosworth, to build in the wilderness, on the mountain near Wilson Creek, a more substantial rendezvous for the explorers, consisting of a rude log house
In December 1867 Titus Drainsfield and family moved into the house or shanty recently erected for the explorers, and Thomas Gaffney,, now mining superintendent at Antrim, located at the foot of the mountain. A rude blacksmiths shop had been erected in 1867, were the tools of the explorers were kept in order, and the shop was afterward occupied by Salomon Rosenkrans and wife, the tools having been removed. These were the pioneers in the place. A road was Scott's out north to the settlements in Charleston Township, and the rough as places and swamps corduroyed with poles and laws.
Hannah coal had been found to such an extent during the year 1867 that it was determined to erect other buildings, and a charter having been obtained for the Wellsboro and Lawrenceville Railroad, a preliminary survey was commenced September 23rd, 1867 by A. Hardt, civil engineer, by H. Brewer, of Fall Brook.
Hannah during the year 1868 explorations were continued with success by Thomas Farrer and his party. During that year the place was visited by Duncan S. Magee prior to his departure for Europe, accompanied by honorable Daniel E. Howell, of Bath, New York; General George J. Mcgee, John Lang and Charles Crawford, of Watkins, New York; Honorable Charles C. B. Walker and A. H. Gorton, of Corning, New York; John Magee Jr., S. S. Ellsworth, of Penn Yan; Anton Hardt, John Smith and R. F. Cummings of Fall Brook. The object of the visit was to mark the progress of explorations and also to christen the new village. The party assembled at one of the many famous Springs in the vicinity, and while thus convened Duncan S. Magee dipped a glass water from the crystal fountain, and pronounced, "ANTRIM - the native land of the Magee's." All present responded to the sentiment, and after due ceremony, usual off on such occasions, the name was duly recorded. Antrim is a county in the northeast of Ireland, where the parent of the late John Magee was born; they emigrated to this State and settled in 1784 at Easton, or the late John Magee was born September 3rd, 1794.
Duncan S. Magee died in the spring of 1869, and the business of the Fall Brook Coal Co. Devolved General George J. Magee. Under His Direction Mr. Hardt completed
the survey and location of the Lawrenceville and Wellsboro Railroad, and Thomas Farrer commenced the erection of a steam sawmill at Antrim, the contract for building at being lacked to
Ira P. Newhall. The contract for building the railroad was let to General James Ward and Co. of Towanda, Pennsylvania, who commenced the work May 12, 1870, under the general supervision of Anton Hardt, chief engineer, who located his office at first and Tioga, and was assisted by Frederick Wells and Frederick S. Barrows. Thus the construction on the railroad and the building of the town were Cary on simultaneously. During 1870 Thomas Gaffney had put in drift No. 1 at Antrim, but not much progress could be made in building without the age of a sawmill. The mill was completed early in 1871 and was one of the finest in the County, being complete in all of its appliances. The boiler were drawn on sleighs from Tioga a distance of about 30 miles.
Mr. Magee would not be old more than was necessary for lumbering town until he became satisfied that the coal was to be found insufficient quantities to warrant further outlay. He felt safe in the work of constructing a railroad from Lawrenceville to Wellsboro for capitalists were ready to take stock in the enterprise, and the freight and passenger receipts would be a guarantee of success. The mill would be a paying investment for lumbering purposes, situated as it was in the midst of a forest of pine, hemlock, Cherry and hardwood timber, and therefore the erection of buildings for time was limited to a numbering basis. On the first day of January 1871 there were 10 dwellings in Antrim, three of them log buildings. Thomas Farrer moved his family from fall Brook to Antrim followed in November of the same year, located in a building erected for a supply store, and began his duties as a paymaster and store agent. In January 1872 David Cooper, Master Carpenter came to Antrim and took charge of the erection of tenements a and schutes. Isaac S. Marshall, who had acted as chief clerk in the Fall Brook Coal Company's story at Fall Brook, about this time came in relieved Mr. Hinman of the mercantile department, enabling him to the vote his whole time to the duties out paymaster, etc.
In May 1872 the railroad was completed to Wellsboro, and on the 28 day of October of the same year Engine No. 1,Joseph Boyle engineer and John Wilson conductor of, maybe its appearance at Antrim. Mr. Cooper has master mechanic had erected 75 dwellings (explorations for cold having proved satisfactory), a set of coal schutes to, with a shed from the mouth of the drift to them, 900 feet long.
In July 1872 the steam sawmill was burned. The company immediately ordered one of Blandy Brothers portable mills, and such diligence was exercised that in less than six weeks from the time of the fire it was in running order, making lumber at the rate of 8000 feet per day of ten hours. This accident happened, the reader will perceive, before the railroad was completed to land from, and consequently the machinery had to the hauled over rough roads from Wellsboro. George Bartlett, then in charge of the lumber department, with the assistance of three ox-teams and 20 men succeeded in getting the machinery to Antrim.
During the ear 1872 the product of the mine was 11, 366 tons.
The first hotel in Antrim was kept by D. D. Holliday. And was succeeded by Andrew K. Fletcher, the present genial landlord.
Township Organization and Officers.
In December 1873 the township of Duncan was organized Thomas Gaffney and E. A. Tremain were appointed by the court to hold the first election for township officers. At the election, which was held Feb. 17,1874, the following officers were chosen: Supervisors, Thomas Gaffney, E. H. Tremain, Justices, Isaac S. Marshall; Constable W.W. Lownsberry; assessor, William E. Butts; school directors - David Cooper for six years, A. Lake six years, Dr. E. George, four years, W. P. Thomas two years, Joseph Murray two years; Treasurer, John Hinman; auditors - Thomas Farrer one year, George W Rice two years, Charles G. Hinman three years; town clerk, William W. Forrest; Judge of election, Jeremiah Austin; inspectors, Charles Prothero, D. D. holiday.
On the officers and 1881 - to were as follows Thomas Gaffney, James Ketcham, justice of the peace, David W. Jenkins; town clerk, James Gaffney; assessor, Samuel Heron; school directors-Thomas Gaffney, William E. Webster, Patrick Lynch, John Carpenter, William Young, Charles Burgess, ; Judge of elections, W.E. Webster; Inspectors, John F. Sullivan, David W. Jenkins, Auditors, A.K. Fletcher, A.J. Pollock; constable, George English.
The vote for township officers in February 1882 was reported as follows in the Wellsboro Agitator.
Supervisors-Thomas Gaffney, 96; James Ketcham sen, 96. Justice of the Peace-James W. Donaldson,96. Constable-George English,84;Richard Campbell, 35; Peter Rogers, 1. School director-Thomas Gaffney, 61; I.N. Grinnell 61. Assessor-Samuel Heron,96. Assistant assessors-A. Lake,96;George Makin,96. Treasurer-William Howell, Jr., 96. Town Clerk-James Gaffney,94. Judge of election-I.N. Grinnell,94; William W. Forrest, 96. Auditors- A.K. Fletcher, 96; A.C. Roland, 96.
That township of Duncan having not been fully organized until the election in February 1874, no action had been taken for the erection of school houses in Antrim up to that date; but the company had transformed a tenement house into a temporary school building. Miss Ella Cooper and Miss Mary Hinman had taught a term or two with marked success. Theodore P. Whiting and wife were employed for several terms with like success; and night school for the benefits of those who were compelled to work during the daytime were also in operation. During the year 1880 a large commodious school building was erected at Antrim, with three rooms, capable of accommodating about 300 scholars. J. F. Sullivan was the principal teacher, but he has lately resigned, and Miss Addie Reese is now preceptress, assisted by Miss Kate Conway and William Walker. In addition to this large and well planned house there is a school kept six months or more each year north of Antrim (taught by Miss Nancy Little), to accommodate pupils in the area so that township of Duncan is now well provided with common school facilities.
At the dedication of the new school house at Antrim, in the summer of 1880, addresses were made by Rev. Dr. Breck, of Wellsboro, Miss Sarah I. Lewis, County Superintendent of schools, William Howell Jr., Thomas Gaffney, D. W. Jenkins and professor J. F. Sullivan. The school board at that time of erection of this building consisted of Patrick Lynch (President), Thomas Gaffney (Secretary), William Howell Jr. (treasurer), D. W. Jenkins, Cornelius Deneen and John Mellin.
The Antrim Churches
Trinity church-service was
held in the school house at Antrim July 24th 1872, by Rev. Charles
Breck, D. D., rector of St. Paul's church Wellsboro. Persons favorable
to the organization of an Episcopal Church in Antrim were invited to remain
after the service for a business meeting. Dr. Breck called the meeting
to order and John Hinman was elected Secretary. It was resolve to organize
a church and its name was determined upon. The number of vestrymen was
limited to seven, and the following name gentlemen were elected: John Hinman,
David Cooper, Thomas Gaffney, Joseph Jackson, James Nugent, Jerry Austin,
and Benjamin Dobbs. Rev. Dr. Breck, John Hinman and Thomas Gaffney were
appointed a committee to draft a charter of incorporation and submit it
to the court of Common Pleas of the county for approval. Lay readings was
kept by John Hinman, and sermons were read by Isaac S. Marshall and Dr.
E. George for quite sometime, the services being held in the paymasters
office. On the 26 of April 1873 John Magee Jr. died and in his will it
was directed that the sum of $50,000 the expended by his executors in directing
five Episcopal Church is. In consonance with his wishes, in July 1880,
the cornerstone of Trinity church, Antrim, was laid, and edifice was completed
during the summer of 1881. It was built of the Antrim sandstone, at a cost
of about $13,000 and is one of the most substantial church edifices in
northern Pennsylvania. It is of fine architectural design, and is a monument
to the generosity and Christian benevolence of John McGee Jr. connected
with a church is a Sunday school with 90 scholars and ten teachers, and
a library of 100 volumes. The rector is Rev. Charles Breck, of Wellsboro;
wardens, William Howell Jr. and Thomas Gaffney; vestrymen, Dr. E. G. Drake,
Samuel Heron, Joseph Lodge and D. M. Edwards.
A. Baptist Church was organized at Antrim Feb. 20, 1873. The pastor was Rev. G. P. Watrous; Deacon Ira N. Grinnell; clerk, George W. Rice. The pastor had been a missionary six years and Burmah, and was next located an Canton, Pennsylvania. On the fourth of June of 1873 the church was recognized, and on the 20th of August of the same year admitted to the Tioga County Baptist association. At the meeting for its recognition Rev. E. L. Millis, of Blossburg, was moderator, and professor A. C. Winters, of Wellsboro, clerk. The charge to the pastor was delivered by Rev. N. L Reynolds, of Wellsboro. Rev. Roger Thomas is now the pastor. The membership is 31. The deacons are Ira Grinnell and David Jenkins; church clerk, Ira Grinnell.
The church holds its service in the school house, in a room fitted up
on for the purpose, and is raising funds to erect a church edifice.
Connected with the church is a Sunday school with 65 scholars, under the charge of William Walker.
Methodist Episcopal Church -in a class of about 20 was organized in April 1874, and Edward Finch was chosen leader. Occasional services were held for time in school house No. 2 at Antrim. The society has no church edifice.
Catholic Church-in the early history of Antrim monthly meetings were held by Fathers Wynne N. McDermott of Blossburg, which finely resulted in the erection of a church edifice in 1877, David Cooper doing the work. Services are held there regularly by Rev. J. C. McDermott, Wellsboro. Connected with the church is a Sunday school. There is also a branch of the C. T. A. S. which maintains a good temperaments influence and Antrim. The society was organized in 1874.
The Welch congregational Church- was organized in 1876, with about 18 members. In the fall of 1877 building committee, consisting of Richard Howell, John W. Williams, David R. Evans, David Jones and John Jenkins, commence the erection of a church edifice. It was completed in 1878 and cost $1104.46 of which the Fall Brook Coal Co. donated half. The society has no stated minister at present. Rev. F. T. Evans, of Blossburg occasionally officiate. Area is a day Sunday school connected with the church, with Richard Howell Superintendent.
The working men's benevolent association - is about the same in its operations and management as the Friendly Society of Arnot and Fall Brook. It was organized in June 1876 with Thomas Gaffney as president. William Logan vice president, Titus Drainsfield Treasurer, Charles Turner Secretary, And Caffa Blaise and Nicholas John visiting committee. The society has paid quite large sums to its sick members and is a commendable organization, managed with care and fidelity. On it now has about $225 in the treasury. Its present officers are: George Coumbs, president; George English, vice president; Joseph LaPoint, treasurer; William Maundar, Secretary; visiting committee, Philip Gilbert, John Western and James Western.
Duncan Lodge, No. 968, I.0.0. F. on was instituted December 23rd, 1879, with, Thomas Gaffney N G., Isaac Cook VG, George Makin recording secretary, David Nickol assistant secretary, and William Young Treasurer. The Lodge room is in the new hall, and is neatly furnished. July 4th 1880 the order had a celebration and a procession. D. D. G. M. George T. Losey delivered and address upon the occasion. In August 1881 a hall was dedicated By Grand Master Wright, and a public address was mad by Past Grand Sire J. B. Nicholson. The lodge is in a prosperous condition, numbering 80 members.
The past grand are William Young, Thomas Gaffney, John E. Evans, Isaac Cook, George Counbe and George Makin.
The present officers are: James Brownlee, NG: James Gaffney, VG; William
Young, recording secretary; Richard James, assistant secretary, Thomas
Antrim Cornet Band - like all the mining towns Antrim has had several band organizations, which have from time to time been recognized. The present band consist of E. G. Drake (President), W. W. Forrest (Secretary), R. W. Jones (leader), J. W. Evans, Robert Evans, James Lloyd, David Turnbull, C. J. Sullivan, F. E. Wheeler, Simon Keating, Thomas Keating and E. A. Owens. This organization was formed during the year 1881, and many of its members are old musicians and belonged to a former band. They have a room for practice, and the music and instruments are good.
Antrim Lyceum- a lyceum was organized in December 1870, and fine rooms were assigned it in the new hall. Its first officers were: Thomas Gaffney, president; Francis Floyd, vice president; directors, William Howell Jr., Dr. E. G. Drake, A. K. Fletcher; treasure, Samuel Heron; secretary, John F. Sullivan. It is at present not inactive operation, but it is expected to revise its work.
Antrim's Present Business Status
ntrim is the youngest mining town in Tioga County, yet the capacity of the minds A. is 1500 tons per day of ten hours. It is not, however, altogether in this capacity of production that Antrim has won the name of the model mining town, but on account of the facilities or mining, stores, churches, halls, school houses, markets, hotels, offices, etc. It is laid out regularly in streets and circling the brow of the mountain, and a large number of the dwellings and stores, offices, halls, school houses and churches are looking newly fresh, and in fine contrast with a surrounding forest. It has the appearance of having been made to order by some skillful artist or architect, and placed in the mountain retreat prepared for its reception. For a child of only about 12 years of eight-year present a remarkably matured and perfect look. It is annually visited by thousands from a long the line of the Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim, and Syracuse, Geneva and Corning railroads, who are attracted by the scenery along these roads. The view of the lake from Geneva to Watkins, the wonderful and romantic glen storerooms Watkins, the ride over the mountains to Corning, the Valley of the Tioga and Crooked Creek to Wellsboro, the ascent through Delmar and Charleston to the summit, 1853 feet above tied, and the descent to Antrim are features in one of the most interesting days travel that those in search of recreation can take.
The first store was a portion of the building now occupied as a station. In the year 1873 the company commenced the erection of one of the largest stores in northern Pennsylvania, four-story high, with a sales room 25 by 80 feet, with fine bay windows and glass front; the building also containing four storerooms, furnace room and coal cellar, tailor shop, clothing room, shoemaker's shop, sleeping rooms for clerks, etc., etc. it is supplied with registers and elevators, and on the whole it is a model of convenience and taste. Mr. Marshall remained as store agent for the company until September 1880, when all O. Pattison, of Watkins, who had been in the employee of the company (with a vacancy of only a few years) send 1859, succeeded him; he is the present manager of the mercantile department, assistant by William Forrest, A. J. Pollock, John Curran, A. C. Roland, Daniel J. Kennedy, John Lynch, and Patrick Curran. Among the early clerks in the store were W. W. Forrest, Henry Reimer, Andrew K. Fletcher, John Heron and Charles G. Hinman.
The managers and paymaster's office in a fine building of wood, containing burglar and fire proof vaults for the preservation of valuable walks and papers. It was erected in 1873. The first paymaster was John Hinman, assisted by Charles G. Hinman and Richard McNair. The present paymaster is William Howell Jr., assistant by Samuel Heron and James W. Donaldson. The manager, Thomas Farrer, also has an office in the same building.
The first draft Master was Thomas Gaffney, assisted afterward by a Joseph Lodge.
The first weighmaster was Charles Hoff. The weighmaster now are D. M. Edwards and Frank Burgess.
The official city and an about the mines are: Thomas Farrer, manager; James Ketcham, outside Foreman, assisted by W. E. Webster; Thomas Gaffney, mining Superintendent; drift masters, James Gaffney and Charles Burgess.
The resident engineer was Graham McFarlane, afterward manager for the Buffalo coal Co. at Claremont, McKean County, in which the estate of John McGee was largely interested.
The station agent and telegraph operator Uri Barkley. L. J. Stothoff was the first station agent and William E. Butts the first telegraph operator. Mr. Stothoff was accident like E. old by the cars between Antrim and Wellsboro February 15th, 1877. He had been down to Wellsboro, and on the return, in assisting the train man in coupling cars, was thrown up on the track and run over. He was a young man of good business qualities and his death was sincerely warned by a large circle of friends. He was about 22 years of age and unmarried. He was a brother-in-law of general George Magee.
The company has recently moved its tin shop from Fallbrook to Antrim, and Noah F. Marvin is in charge of it.
The market is in charge M L. Klock. Among others who have kept it were Bailey and Dumeaux, and J. M. daily.
The blacksmiths are Elijah Dimmock S. P. Dimmock, Samuel Strong, John Kane and Edward Strong; Master Carpenter, Max Lehberg. At the Car Shops, James Heatley and Are Richard James; John Barber Engineer and George Dixon Fireman of Locomotives No. 11; Conductor, John Wilson; train men, S. D. Moore, DeWitt Van Order, Hudson Peer, S. E. Moore and John Brew; engineer of mind locomotives "Scotia," F. E. Wheeler; of the "Hibernia," Oliver White; resident physician, Dr. E. G. Drake.
"Good and Fateful Service."
Many of the employees of the Fall Book Coal Co. at Antrim and on the line of the railroad have been working for the company from 10220 or more, and their lives form and important to item in the history of the place.
Anton Hardt, general superintendent for the Fall Brook Coal Co., was born Indiana, Austria, March 27th, 1839, and graduated from the IR Polytechnic Institute in that city and the IR school of Mines in Leoben, Styria he was appointed by the Austrian governmental assistant teacher at the school and 1860, where he remained two years, when he resigned to fail the more practical position of mining engineer at the coal mines of Prevali, Carinthia. And 1863 he was offered and accepted the position of mining engineer and superintendent at the extensive coal mines Sagor, Carniola. This he resigned in June 1865. A great financial crisis which swept overall street of an 1865 made it difficult for him to octane a suitable position in his own country, and not wish in to remain idle he decided to emigrate to the United States. He landed in New York September 29th, 1865, and soon found employment on the Philadelphia and Erie Railroad at Williamsport, under John A. Wilson, chief engineer. December 2nd, 1866 he married Miss Alvina Koch, Williamsport. He remained in the employee of the Philadelphia and Erie Railroad Company until September 1867, when H. Brewer, manager For the Fall Brook Coal Company , engaged him to take charge of the survey for the Wellsboro and Lawrenceville railroad. After Mr. Brewers death Mr. Hardt succeeded him as mining engineer at Fall Brook and was chief engineer of the Wellsboro and Lawrenceville railroad. The construction of that railroad he superintendended from 1870 to 1873, at the time doing all the engineering work at Fall Brook and Antrim. in the fall of 1875 he was elected chief engineer of the Syracuse, Geneva and Corning Railroad, which was completed under his supervision in November 1877. He is now chief engineer of all the Railroad owned an operated by The Fall Brook Coal Company, and general superintendent of their mines; also a director of the Morris Run Coal Co.. He has published numerous articles on geology and civil and mining engineering and German journals and the Scientific American, Railroad Gazette and other papers. He resides at Wellsboro.
Thomas Farrer, a native of England and manager for the Fall Brook Coal Co. at Antrim, is about 66 years of age, and has been consecutively employed by Duncan S. Magee and the Fall Brook Coal Co. for about 28 years. He was employed by Mr. McGee during his coal operations at Blossburg and on the exploring expedition To Fall Brook, and continued in that capacity until 1866, when he was then to explore the lands were on Antrim now stands. Mr. Farrer by study and observation has become a good geologist, particularly in branch which treats of the cold measures.
O. Pattison, the manager of the store, and are the service of the Fall Brook Coal Co. about 21 years ago As a Clerk in the Store at Fall Brook, and was subsequently promoted bookkeeper in the cashier's office at Fall Brook, and in 1862 transferred to the main office at Watkins, where he remained a number of years as chief bookkeeper. His business call him to Lock Haven, Clinton County, Pennsylvania, where he remained a few years. He then returned to Watkins, and was employed in the office as before until September 1880, when he was transferred to Antrim to take charge of the mercantile department of the Fall Brook Coal Co. at that place. Mr. Pattison is a thorough and accurate businessman, about 42 years of age.
William Howell Jr., is a native Of Bath, Steuben County New York he entered the office, Fall brook Coal Co. at Corning a number of years ago, adds bookkeeper, where he remain until about eight years ago when he was transferred to Antrim was made paymaster for the company at that place, which very responsible position he still retains. Mr. Howell is a thorough scholar, a gentleman of fine business qualifications and an exemplary churchman. He is a young man in the crime of life.
Samuel Heron, son of the late James Heron, manager at Fall Brook is a young man about 26 years of age. He was educated in Mansfield And Fall Brook. About nine years ago he was employed in the office of the Fall Brook Coal Company At Fall Brook, and the next year was transferred to the company's office at Antrim, where he still remains, a careful, accurate and reliable accountant.
James W. Donaldson is a native of Wellsboro and a son of John F. Donaldson, deceased, who for nearly 38 years was prothonotary of Tioga County. Mr. Donaldson Waters for a number of years employed in the office with his father, and was subsequently clerk to the County commissioners. About three years ago he was employed by The Fall Brook Coal Co. at Antrim, and he is now in the paymasters office. Mr. Donaldson is a ready and neat penman and a good bookkeeper.
William W. Forrest, clerk in the Fall Brook Coal Companies store at Antrim, was first employed in the store at Fall Brook, about 13 years ago, and was transferred to Antrim to assist John Hindman in 1871. He has since been employed in the store, and he is the senior clerk.
Andrew J. Pollock, a clerk in the store at Antrim, commenced working in the mines at fall Brook began 1862. In 1865 he was employed as a clerk in the store at fall Brook, and remain they are in that capacity until transferred to Antrim to about three years ago. Mr. Pollock has therefore been an employee of the company 20 consecutive years, and is esteemed as one of the "old hands."
John Curran, a clerk in a store, has been any employee of the company in various capacities on for the past ten years.
A. C. Roland has been a clerk in the store about two years. He is a
competent young man.
Thomas Gaffney, Superintendent of the mines at Antrim For the Fall Brook Coal Company, was more in the county of Surrey, England, in May 1829, and educated in the common schools of that county. In 1849 he came to America and was employed by the PA Coal Co. at Pittston Luzerne County, in this state. He remained with that company two years, and then watch employed at Pittsburgh for a time by the Ormsby coal Co.. Subsequently he was employed By the Monitor Iron Works Co. at Danville, Inc. H. to in the mining of iron ore. He remain at Danville nine years. Sept. 16th 1862, 20 years ago, he went to work for the Fall Brook Coal Co at fall Brook, working in the exploration corps. He remained at fall Brook, continuously working for the company, and when explorations were commenced in 1867 at Antrim was transferred to Place, moving his family they are on the 22nd out December of that year. Mr. Gaffney had the immediate charge of the mining operations, and has since performed that service. During the 20 years yet been employed by the Fall Brook Coal Company he has discharged every duty with Fidelity and care. He has an intelligent an active member of society, filling honorable civil positions. He was appointed by the court of common pleas of Tioga County one of the first supervisors of the township of Duncan when it was organized, and also a commissioner to hold the first election and poll the first vote. He has been supervisor since the township was organized. For many years he was an honored member of Morris Run Lodge of Odd Fellows, and he was one of the charter members of Duncan Lodge, No. 968, located at Antrim, and was its first noble grand. He was married May 13th, 1852 to Ms. Sarah Sperring of Pittston, Pennsylvania. They have raised a respectable family of children, giving them good facilities for acquiring an English and musical education. Mr. Gaffney is a genial and social and companionable gentleman, and well versed in the practical duties out his position.
John Forrest was more in Airdrie, Scotland, in 1807, and was educated in the common schools of that country. For many ears he was employed in a clerical capacity by William Baird Co., at the air iron Works at Gartesherrie, Scotland. He came to America in 1846 and was employed for two years in the rolling mill of Murdoch, Leavitt and Co., Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. And 1848 he went to New York and was foreman for D W. Wetmore. He remained in New York and Brooklyn until 1864, when he went to Fall Brook and was employed by the company as weighmaster at the drift number 2 and subsequently at the drift No. 3, which position he held for 13 consecutive years. In 1877 he was transferred to Antrim to perform a like duty, in which position he remained until a few months since. He manipulated the weights and registered the amount about 17 years For the Fall Brook Coal Company, making millions of figures and using a reams of paper. He was married in Scotland to Miss Ann Wright in 1844, Vital He Had Four Children - Sarah, Wife of Ralph Street, of New York City; Janet, Wife of R. F. Cummings; John, for Many Years Bookkeeper for the Fall Brook Coal Company and its first cashier at Claremont McKean County, but now a promising member of the McKean County bar; and William W., senior clerk in the Fall Brook Coal Company's store at Antrim. Mr. Forrest is an old gentleman of varied and extensive information, and possesses a rare taste for polite and scientific literature. He has a vein of Scotch humor in his composition, and few men have a keener perception that he. He is in hit 75th year and is enjoying a needed rest from his long lights of industry.
David J. Davis was born in Swansea, South Wales, October 5th, 1820, and was educated at a school four miles from his native town. He was early apprenticed to a butcher by the name of William Morgan, with whom he remained seven years. He came to America in 1851, and, after working in various places, in 1860 went to work for the company and old drift No. 1,Fall Brook. In 1863 he was appointed assistant to William Griffiths in drift No. 3, in which position he remained nearly 10 years, discharging his duties with promptness to an accuracy. He Remained at Fall Brook, pursuing various locations for the company, until 1878, when he was transferred to Antrim to assume the duties of general watch men at the schutes, office, store, mill and elsewhere were valuable property is located. He was married September 21st 18406 to Catherine Davis, daughter of William Edward Davis, keeper of the "Lord Nelson Inn", Merthyr Tydvil, South Wales. During his 22 years of consecutive service For the Fall Brook Coal Co. he has never betrayed the trust confided to him. Among the thousands that have been employed by the company during those years we believe no one has been more faithful and conscientious then he. Of an unassuming nature, non-but his most intimate friends are aware of the extent on his useful impractical knowledge. He is a great reader, a close observer and a man of refined and cultivated tastes.
Thomas McMahon, one of "old hands," was born in Ireland, in 1830, came to America in 1859, and went to work for the Fall Brook Coal Co. on the construction of the railroad from Blossburg to Fall Brook. He has since been continuously in the companies employ a period of nearly 23 years. He is sometimes called "Rush" McMahon, on account of the word "rush" being a favorite expression of hits when he was rushing the work on the schutes and dumping coal. He has not always taken the best care of himself; but his endurance, willingness and ability to work have been remarkable. He assisted in the construction of the Y near Horseheads, New York, For the Fall Brook Coal Company, and helped lay the iron on the trestle at Watkins, New York. For many years he was Foreman of the gang of dumpers At Fall Brook, and remain they are until he was transferred to Antrim a few years since. He is a genial and witty son of the Emerald Isle and bids fair to live long to "rush" the work.
Charles Prothero, and other of the "old hands," was born in Monmouthshire, Wales, in August 1819, and engaged in mining in that country at a very early age. He came to America in 1848, and located at Danville, Pennsylvania. And 1856 he went to Blossburg and was employed by Duncan S. Magee, and afterward worked for the Magee's at Fall Brook. For time he Morgan Morris Run, Indian 1872 returned to the "old company," as he styles it, any Antrim. Mr. Prothero has been twice married, first in 1840s by in his native town to Sarah Cook, by whom he had one child. She dying, he was married in 1855 to Ann Maria England, by whom he had six children. Mr. Prothero has always been regarded as one of the most steady and reliable minors, and is quiet in genial manners have always made him friends. He was a charter member of Morris Run Lodge of Odd Fellows, and for many years has been an honored member of that fraternity.
David M. Edwards, weighmaster at Antrim, was born in Caermarthenshire, South Wales, in January 1843. He was educated in his native town and in the city of London, and served several years ended attorneys opposite in London. He came to America in 1870. After remaining Canada two years he came to Antrim early in 1873, and was employed in the exploring corps. Then he was transferred to the schutes, and in Feb. 1876 was promoted to be weighmaster, which position he now fills. In March 1875, he was married to Miss Margaret Brophy, called London, Ontario. Mr. Edwards is attentive to his duty and gives general satisfaction in the very delicate and responsible position he occupies.
Andrew J. Fletcher is a native of Bradford County, Pennsylvania. In 1861 he went to work for the Fall Brook Coal Company At Fall Brook, under the immediate supervision of the late Charles N. Cranmer to The period he was then about 17 years of age. The war coming on here listed in the DS and New York Regiment (engineers), and served to the close of the war, when he returned to Fall Brook and was again employed by the company. When and some was founded he when they are an engaged in various pursuits, being weighmaster, clerk in the store, and finally proprietor of the Antrim Hotel . It is 20 years or more since he commenced work for the company, and he has been about the mines at Fall Brook and Antrim ever since, except the time spent in the Army.
Thomas Burton was born in Kilbourne, Yorkshire England, Aug. 20 if 1836. He was educated in the schools of his native town and was raised as a farmer. He came to America in 1863 and went to work for the Fall Brook or Company At Fall Brook, doing general work until six years ago, when he was selected as boss dispatcher above the mines. He was transferred to Antrim in 1877. He has continuously been in the employee of the Fall Brook Coal Co. since 1863, excepting eight months spent visiting friends in England. He was a member of the Fall Brook Lodge of Odd Fellows a Number of Years, and a Charter Member of Duncan Lodge Antrim. By industry an economy he has gained a considerable property.
John Wilson, conductor on the Cowanesque and Antrim Railroad from Antrim to Wellsboro, has been consecutive to the employed By the Fall Brook Coal Co. for the past 20 years. He commenced on trains running from Corning to Somerville, three miles above of Blossburg, in 1862. He has also run on the Erie and Northern Central Railroads, and ran the first train over the wrote from Wellsboro to Antrim, Oct. 281872. He is a careful and painstaking railroad man obliged in and courteous, and faithful in the performance of his duty. His wife was the daughter of the late Captain Thomas Murray of Corning.
John Barber, engineer on locomotive No. 11 running from Wellsboro to Antrim, he is an old employee of the company, having been in their service about 20 years.
James Ketcham, the outside foreman of the lumber and team department,
is a gentleman well fitted for the position. He has had a long experience
in the lumber business, and is a careful, energetic and thorough foreman.
He is practically acquainted with all the details of the work under his
charge. He is 60 years of a wide active and a good judgment, and is a careful
Joseph Lodge was born in England, December 2nd 1835, and was brought up on a farm. He came to a marrow cry in 1863, and worked for the Fall Book Coal Company at Fall Brook two years and then at Morris Run several years. From Morris Run he went to the Arnot mines, and into Liberty. In 1870 went to Antrim, and remained therefore sometime; returned to Arnot for six months, and then came back to Antrim, where he has since remained. After his return to Antrim he worked in the mines about a month, and was transferred to the schutes as inspector of coal. He was married in England, in 1858, To Miss Ann Parkin, of Yorkshire. He has been an Odd Fellow in good standing since 1856. He is a honest and conscientious man, and discharges his duties impartially.
Ira N. Grinnell has been a resident of Antrim since 1872. He was born in Harpersfield, Delaware County, New York May 31st 1838. Learn the trade or Carpenter, and pursued that calling until the fall of 1873, when he went to work in the mines and was promoted to the position of Foreman of drift No. 2. He has been twice married. He is a member of the Duncan Lodge of Odd Fellows, and a consistent member of the Baptist church and Deacon of the same period
Charles Burgess was born in Troy , Bradford County, Pennsylvania, July 15th 1854, and attended the Troy academy. January 1st 1873 he went to work for the Fall Brook Coal Company at Antrim. In the fall of 1876 he was within charge of the new chutes.