|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 email@example.com|
RICHMOND TOWNSHIP AND MANSFIELD.
By Andrew Sherwood.
Part Two (See also Part One & Part Three & Biographies
OTHER SETTLED BETWEEN 1820 AND 1830 may be mentioned as follows:
In 1820 Thomas Dyer, father of Judge Dyer, settled on the Rev. D. P. Maryatt farm (now the Vedder place), about one mile above Canoe Camp; Robert Searle, father of Henry Searle, settled on the Schusler farm adjoining, where he afterward built a mill; while Sumner Willson, who came from Massachusetts, settled on the Hovey place, also adjoining, and near the town line. He married Martha Harkness, by who he had eight children, including Sumner jr., John, Alpheus, Thomas and Daniel-some of our leading citizens.
THE SHERWOOD FAMILY.--Daniel Sherwood, a son of John Sherwood, was born in Connecticut, October 23rd 1774. He was of English ancestry, his forefathers having occupied the estate in Nottinghamshire, England, known as "Sherwood Forest," of Robin Hood celebrity. When he was a young man he went to Cortland county, N.Y., which for many years he represented with distinction in the State Legislature at a time when railroads were unknown, and when it was necessary to make the journey to Albany on horseback. In 1830 he, with several of his sons, removed to Tioga county, Pa., to engage in the lumber business, which they carried on until 1839, in a mill built by them about a mile below the Lamb's Creek river bridge. They then removed to Mansfield, where, in 1840, he was mainly instrumental in founding the Baptist church, of which he was deacon until he died, which event occurred on the 7th of April 1859, when he was in his 85th year, at which he still possessed remarkable strength and vigor. His wife's maiden name was Anna Stevens, and she was a daughter of John Stevens. They were married March 30th 1800, and had nine children, including Rev. Abijah, Hon. Daniel L., Hiram Mason and Albert.
Rev. Abijah Sherwood was born at Marathon, N.Y., in 1801, and was in his 80th year at the time of his death, which took place at Mansfield in 1880. His first wife was Anna Hinman, and his second Maria Page. When a young man he felt called of God to preach the gospel. There were no theological seminaries then, and instead of science, and nature, and literature, it was fashionable to preach the gospel in its simplicity. This he endeavored to do. He was ordained at Centre Lisle, N.Y., and preached there, and at Maine and Union Corners, in the same State; while he was active in the organization of the Baptist church at Mansfield, and was for about 20 years pastor of it at a time when $100 was thought to be amply sufficient for a minister's salary, and when ministers as well as laymen were tillers of the soil. Yet it was well exemplified in his case that "godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come."
Hon. Daniel Lee Sherwood was born at Marathon, N.Y., December 5th 1809, and married Caroline Sharpe, by whom he has had eleven children. He came into Tioga county in 1830, and to Mansfield in 1839, where he remained until 1869, when he removed to Northumberland, Pa. In 1842, and again in 1843, he was elected to represent the counties of Tioga and Potter in the State Legislature. He was then successively elected to the Senate in 1844, 1845 and 1846, from the counties of Tioga and Bradford. In 1846 he was chosen speaker, and so well had Senator Sherwood now come to be known that he was prominently mentioned as a candidate for governor. More recently he has served four years (1877-1880), as representative from Northumberland county. The following is an extract from an article in one of the Philadelphia dailies: "A hale, vigorous man is Daniel Lee Sherwood, one of the two members of the House of Representatives from Northumberland county, although in his seventieth year. He is the oldest living member of the Legislature. He possesses a splendid physique, six feet one inch in height, a robust, athletic frame, and a face indicating great force of character, power and strength of intellect, joined to a most kindly, amiable disposition. Northumberland county may well be proud in having for its representative and advocate in the present Assembly one every way so worthy, experienced and completely reliable."
Hiram Mason Sherwood was born at Marathon, N.Y., August 3rd 1815, and married Electa Faulkner, daughter of David Faulkner. He with his father and brothers, came to Tioga county penniless. He now resides on his farm near Mansfield, whither he went in 1852.
Albert Sherwood was born at Marathon, N.Y., August 27th 1817, and married Julia A. Clark (born September 7th 1826), daughter of Justus B. Clark, of Mansfield, by whom he has had four children, three of whom are living, the eldest having been drowned when two years of age, in the Tioga River. Sherwood street, one of the most pleasant in Mansfield, is named for Albert Sherwood, who formerly owned the land there.
DAVID DORSETT was born March 2nd 1784, and Catherine his wife March 31st 1782. They were married January 29th 1806, and had eight children, of whom Hickman and Philetus, of Mansfield, are two. They came here from Peekskill, N.Y., in June 1830, and made the first clearing on Lamb's Creek, and were the first settlers there. Mr. Dorsett died May 7th 1845, aged 61, and his wife March 10th 1870, in her 88th year. Hickman Dorsett killed a bear on the 28th of June 1847--the last one killed in this vicinity.
THE FRALIC FAMILY.--Michael Fralic was born August 18th 1802, in Unadilla, N.Y. He came to Lamb's Creek from Marathon, N.Y., in 1831, and married Angelina Lamb (deceased August 9th 1877, aged 64, daughter of Daniel Lamb), a most excellent woman and noble mother, who adorned her life with every Christian virtue, and by whom he had four children, viz. Jerusha (deceased), Rachel, Daniel and Henry.
Daniel and Henry Fralic, known as Fralic Brothers, built a saw-mill at Lamb's Creek in 1866, which was damaged by high water in 1869, and rebuilt in 1870, since which time it has been the most successful steam mill in the Tioga Valley. A very large quantity of lumber is annually manufactured at this mill, giving employment to a number of men and largely benefiting the surrounding country. A planing-mill, lath-mill, etc., are run in connection with the saw-mill.
REV. ASA DONALDSON.--Here is a name that ought to be written in letters of gold. As a missionary, and as the first settled minister of the gospel in Mansfield, as well as a man of spotless character, his name shines with a pure lustre. Unlike some others it seems to have been without a blemish, and every way worthy to head the long list of God's servants who have been settled in Mansfield. True, the Methodist Kimball had been through here on horseback long before, but when it is asked "Who was the first settled preacher in Mansfield?" be it known that the name was Asa Donaldson. And right well did he fulfill his mission and honor his calling, so that now, after the lapse of more than forty years, his name still lives and his memory is revered. He held the first stated services and organized the first church in Mansfield, leaving behind him and influence for good, so that it has been well said of Mr. and Mrs. Donaldson, "they were rare Christian people."
Rev. Asa Donaldson was born in Massachusetts, September 4th 1788, and went to Otsego county, N.Y., when he was 17 years old. On the 10th of September 1812 he married Delia Allen, by whom he raised a family of eight sons and three daughters, of whom Mary, the youngest, is Mrs. Brewster Guernsey, of Blossburg. The other two daughters were Emeline (Mrs. Peter B. Guernsey) and Amelia (Mrs. Homer I. Stacey). The sons were Lucius Allen, Rev. John Watts, Rev. Charles Backus, Dana Dwight, Dr. Henry Chapman, Alfred Ely, Erasmus Joel Hawes, and Soreno Edwards. All became Christians in childhood. Three--Lucius A., Charles B., and Dana D.--have died. Two--Charles B. and John W.--were ministers of the gospel; the other six were deacons or ruling elders of the church. Concerning Mrs. Donaldson it is the unanimous verdict that she was one of the noblest of women, and that she had a peculiarly happy faculty of governing her children, such as is possessed by few women indeed. Her husband depended much upon her opinion of what he had prepared for the pulpit, usually submitting to her hearing his manuscripts, going over them as she plied her needle by the fireside or rested from unnumbered cares at the close of a busy day. She died July 4th 1862, aged 70 years.
Mr. Donaldson was licensed to preach the gospel when was 23, and ordained when he was 25. In 1832 he left Guilford, N.Y., where he had preached twelve years, and came to this county, in company with Rev. E. D. Wells, now of Lawrenceville. In 1833, with Wells and Rev. Moses Ordway, he held a protracted meeting in a barn in Tioga village, and organized a Congregational church. He lived on the "Allen farm," since owned by Albert Sherwood, until he left Mansfield, in 1837. He left on account of his health, which had failed, and in 1839 went west, residing at Dover, Malden, and Como, Ill., and afterward at Chariton, Iowa, where he and his wife, comfortable and happy, spent their last days. He died on the 2nd of February 1876, in his 88th year, and was buried by the side of his wife in Malden, Ill.
When Mr. Donaldson assumed the mission at Mansfield meetings were held in the old school-house, which stood near the railroad bridge on Wellsboro street, in front of Asa Mann's saw-mill, where they were filing the saws during the hour of worship. After awhile a building was fitted for a chapel on Main street, at the corner of Sherwood, and opposite the place where the Baptist church now stands. In this building he organized the first church in Mansfield, July 5th 1832, account of which will be found farther on.
DEACON LORIN BUTTS was born October 28th 1796, in Connecticut, and died at Mansfield, August 16th 1874, aged 78 years. He married Miss Harriet Hyde, by whom he had several children, of whom D. J. Butts, of Mansfield, one of our foremost citizens, is one. He came here in 1832. It has been well said of Mr. Butts that he was interested in religious, educational and social advancement.
JAMES R. WILSON was born about 1807, at Burlington, N.J., and graduated at Princeton. His wife's name was Margaret Smith. He came here about the year 1838, from Philadelphia, where he had practiced law, and was elected president of the railroad, which office he held for several years. "President Wilson," as he was familiarly called, was a most kind and generous man, possessing many singular and fine traits of character. He brought with him the culture, wealth and refinement of the eastern cities; and his death, which occurred on the 24th of December 1871, was lamented by all his neighbors. He lived on the Asa Mann estate, about a mile below the village, and was one of the best citizens Mansfield ever had.
CAPTAIN EZRA DAVIS came here in 1838, from Vermont. He was born October 18th 1794, and was 63 years old when he died. He married Betsey Walker, by whom he had thirteen children, but of whom Warren Davis, of Mansfield, is one. He built in 1840 the tannery occupied by Kingsley & Son.
OTHER COMERS FROM 1830 TO 1840.--In 1831 Lewis Cruttenden and Tobias and Philip Lent settled on Lamb's Creek and Thomas Jerald on Corey Creek. Mr. Jerald is in his 83rd year. Oliver Elliott came into the township in 1835 and staid until 1851. In 1867 he returned to Mansfield, where he is now a prominent merchant. He was born in 1805, and is the father of V. A., O. V. and J. A. Elliott. In 1837 Apollos Pitts came to Mansfield from Sullivan. He was born in 1810, married Phebe Mudge, and is the father of Captain Aaron M. and Daniel H. Pitts, prominent merchants and business men of Mansfield at present. In 1839 Joseph Walker and R. P. Buttles came. Walker settled on the Wellsboro road in 1845, and was the first settler on that road within three miles of Mansfield. Other comers were Russell Watson, in 1833; Abram Shuart, in 1838; and Amos Bixby, in 1839. The latter built the paint-mill in 1855, and died in 1862.
DR. JOSEPH P. MORRIS, son of Isaac W. Morris, was born in Philadelphia, in 1809. In 1835 he went to Blossburg, when there were but three families there, and helped to open the mines and build the railroad, in which enterprises he was largely interested. He first came to Mansfield in 1842, remaining here four years, or until 1846, when he went to reside in Wellsboro. In 1854 he returned to Mansfield, where he has lived ever since. He had purchased his property here in 1842, of James R. Wilson, for $12,000. Mr. Wilson had bought it at sheriff sale in 1839 for $6,300. It was the Asa Mann property, which included nearly all the ground now occupied by Mansfield, and we give these figures to show the difference in valuation effected in the short space of forty years. Surely Mansfield has had a wonderful growth, only surpassed by some of the western villages; and to this growth the subject of this sketch has contributed not a little, having been an active participant in the place. He gave the site of six acres for the Mansfield Classical Seminary and the lot for the Episcopal church, and has given largely in many other directions. As a friend and benefactor of the school on the hillside, of which our people are so proud, Dr. Morris stands among the foremost. He gave largely for its establishment, and has been a trustee and corresponding secretary almost from the beginning.
Dr. Morris was married in 1836 to the amiable Miss Sarah E., daughter of Samuel W. Morris, of Wellsboro. Their children have been: Alfred W. (deceased), Catherine (Mrs. C. F. Swan) and James Wilson Morris. Mrs. Morris was born in 1815, and is well known as one of the most dignified and accomplished women every residing in Mansfield. Both Mr. and Mrs. Morris are enjoying a serene old age in their beautiful home-the "Wren's Nest"-on an elevation overlooking the village from the west.
COLONEL JOSEPH S. HOARD.--This gentleman, who once figured so prominently in Mansfield affairs, was born in 1818, and in 1841 was married to Laura M. Robbins, by whom he had six children. He came in 1844 to Mansfield, which was then described as the most dilapidated town in the State. For many years he sold goods with Lyman Beach. In 1854 he with others devised the plan to inaugurate the Mansfield Classical Seminary. It is to his great and lasting credit when we say that he was probably the first man to suggest a school. For his part in this enterprise the reader is referred to the history of the normal school. At its building he gave much time to its supervision and the collecting of funds for its benefit. In 1855 he with others engaged in the building of the Mansfield Iron Works, of which he was secretary and treasurer several years. In 1861 he was engaged in organizing a company for the war, which was Company B of the 101st Pennsylvania volunteers, and of which he was elected captain. At the organization of the regiment he was elected major, and afterward promoted to be lieutenant colonel, and was acting colonel at the battle of Fair Oaks. He was in the battles of Chickahominy, Williamsburgh, Seven Pines and Fair Oaks, at the latter of which he was reported killed, as many will remember. Losing his health, he resigned and went to Tarrytown, N.Y., thence to Vineland, N.J., and afterward to Chicago, Ill., and Red Wing, Minn. He died recently, aged 64, in Florida, whither he had gone for the benefit of his health.
GEORGE W. KING was born at Bennington, Vermont, in 1790, and came into Pennsylvania in 1842. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and at the battle of Lundy's Lane received a wound from the effects of which he never fully recovered. During the latter part of his life he was a zealous member of the Baptist church, and was noted far and wide for this faithfulness. "Father King" was never absent from the prayer meetings. Even yet we seem to see the gleam of his lantern from the vestibule windows, where he used ever to place it, and which always seemed to beckon and say, "Come in." Father King died in 1867.
MART KING, son of George W., was born in Washington county, N.Y., in 1825, and in 1845 came to Mansfield, where he worked at blacksmithing two years and carpentering five years. In 1852 he went on the railroad, remaining until 1858. He then engaged in the produce trade until 1869, when he built a factory and went to manufacturing bedsteads. His factory, which was a model one and first-class in every particular, was burned, with all its splendid and costly machinery, December 24th 1870. It was rebuilt in the spring of 1871, and has since been devoted to the manufacture of bedsteads and extension tables as a speciality, with a general line of furniture made from our native timber. It is probably the largest wood-making establishment in the county, employing a large number of men, and turning out thousands of dollars' worth of furniture every year. There is run in connection with it a large steam laundry and Mr. King has at times nearly 40 persons on his pay-roll. He is a self-made man, having once been at the bottom round of the ladder, and is now among our very first business men. He is president of the Smythe Park Association, has been largely instrumental in making the Tioga county agricultural, mechanical, and industrial fair, which is annually held in the park, such a great success.
LYMAN BEACH, a son of Rev. Lyman Beach, was born in Wallingford, Conn., November 13th 1813, and came to Mansfield from Earlville, N.Y., in 1845. He married Lucinda Clark, daughter of J. B. Clark, November 9th 1852, and by her he has had seven children, as well as six by a former wife. He was a partner in the mercantile business with J. S. Hoard for thirteen years, and for many years justice of the peace. His brother Rev. Whiting Beach, a well known and much respected Methodist minister, has also been a resident of this place many years.
THE ELLIOTT FAMILY.--L. H. Elliott was born at Ancram, N.Y., June 4th 1794, and married Mary Wright, of Sheshequin, Pa., September 9th 1821. He came to Mansfield in 1847, where he died on the 12th of April 1872, aged 78. He attained considerable celebrity as a newspaper correspondence during the latter part of his life.
Hon. Charles V. Elliott, a son of the above, was born at Sheshequin, Pa., March 27th 1824. He was educated as a physician at the medical college in Geneva, N.Y., and since coming to Mansfield, in 1847, has been known and recognized as one of the most prominent and successful physicians in the county. He was postmaster here from 1860 until 1872. In 1867 he built his drug store, which is said to have been the first brick store erected in the county. In 1876 he was elected a representative in the State Legislature for two years, and was elected for a second term in 1878. His record there was, we believe, exceptionally good, and perhaps the county has had few if any better representatives than Dr. Elliott. He is a trustee of the normal school, and has been burgess of the village. His first wife was Eliza Graves, his second Julia Holden, by each of whom he has had one child. He owns a fine plot overlooking the village, and the views from his windows include a charming stretch of the river valley to the south, with the mountains in the distance. Dr. Elliott ranks among our most substantial citizens.
Hon. Simon B. Elliott, also a son of L. H. Elliott, was born in 1830. He was one of the very first citizens Mansfield ever had, and as a friend and supporter of the normal school, and every other laudable enterprise, as well as a man of progressive and liberal views, had few equals indeed. He also came here in 1847, and in 1860 was elected a representative in the State Legislature, where he made a first-class officer. He proved an able man in this capacity, as he has in every other, serving his constituents faithfully and well. He was architect of the normal school buildings, and has been president of the board of trustees, trustee for the State, etc. No man, aside from Professor Allen, has done as much for this institution as Mr. Elliott. Perhaps it would never have pulled through in its darkest days had it not been for the hard work and enthusiasm of this man. He left here in 1871, since which time he has been engaged in railroad and mining enterprises for the various companies operating in this county. His departure was a severe loss to Mansfield. While here he married Harriet, daughter of Phineas Clark, by whom he has had two children. Before closing this sketch, all too brief, we wish to say that credit should be given to Mr. Elliott for the major part, and that which is most valuable, in the history of the normal school, which will be found in this work.
FROM 1849 TO 1850 the following besides those elsewhere mentioned took up their abode here:
Benjamin M. Bailey came in 1840, and was for many years a dealer in general merchandise. He died in Elmira in 1876, aged 60 years. Levi Cooper, cousin to J. Fenimore Cooper, came in 1841 from Princeton, N.J. His wife was Rachel Myers, by whom he had three children. He built a saw-mill on Lamb's Creek in 1847. He was born in 1795 and died in 1866. Orville M. Patchen came with his father, Vine D., in 1842, from Guilford, N.Y. Edwin Pratt came with his father, Robert H., in 1842, from Broome county, N.Y. Robert is now 91 years old. Oliver H. Phelps came in 1843, and built a hotel in 1850, which he kept until he died, in 1863, at the age of 77. He was postmaster four years, during Buchanan's administration. George Slingerland came in 1844, Joseph Whipple in 1845, James M. Ramsdell in 1846, Deacon John Drew in 1847, and James Hoard, John Voorhees, William Powers and John Kiley in 1849.
WILLIAM HOLLANDS was born at Lewis, Sussex county, England, in 1812, and came from there in 1850 to Mansfield, where he has ever since been engaged in the harness business, having become one of Mansfield's most valuable and respected citizens. Mr. Hollands has been foremost in every good work, and has greatly aided in the up-building of the normal school and the Episcopal church, but it is as a Sunday-school worker that he stands pre-eminent, having been 54 years a Sunday-school superintendent-30 years of the time in Mansfield. He married Charlotte Cruttenden, by whom he has had twelve children.
E. L. SPERRY was born at Gates, N.Y., March 7th 1829, and came here in 1851. He lived on the farm formerly owned by William Pickel, who was the first settler one what is now known as Pickel Hill. Mr. Sperry has been secretary of the normal board of trustees many years, and was for eight years a school teacher, and always one of our best citizens. His father-in-law, John Baynes, also came from Gates, in 1832.
WILLIAM M. BARDEN, M. D., was born at Benton, N.Y., February 14th 1812, and was educated at the medical college in Geneva, N.Y. He came to Mansfield in 1852, where he introduced the homoeopathic practice, and where he has ever since resided, enjoying the confidence and esteem of the people. At the time of his coming there were fifteen allopathic physicians within a radius of nine miles, and the opposition to homoeopathy was pretty strong. His first year's practice amounted to but $46, and $32 of this he never received. But there were better times in store for Dr. Barden, who through his skill and untiring energy soon established for himself an enviable reputation, securing at the same time a large practice. For his success in establishing a new theory, against such odds, he certainly deserves great credit. He has been faithful in his attention to the sick in every condition of life. He is the father of Dr. John Barden, of Mansfield, and Dr. Oliver Barden, of Tioga-both first-class physicians.
ROSS & WILLIAMS.--Andrew J. Ross was born in Pike, Bradford county, Pa., February 23rd 1827, and came to Mansfield in 1855. Philip Williams was born in Troy, Pa., in 1826, and came here in 1837. In 1855 these gentlemen formed a copartnership, and they have ever since been known as our most prominent business men, engaging largely in nearly every branch of business, and wielding a controlling influence in the monetary affairs of the village and surrounding country. On the 24th of May 1872 they commenced banking business, which is still continued. Mr. Ross died August 18th 1875, and his son, C. S. Ross, has succeeded to his father's business. Mr. Williams has been for many years treasurer of the normal school.
CLARK W. BAILEY was born in 1806, and came to Mansfield from Charleston township in 1857. He purchased the grist-mill since known as the Mansfield Mills, which was built by Terrence Smythe about the year 1850. In 1860 Mr. Bailey built a steam saw-mill, since known as Bailey's Mills, which he sold to his sons, T. H. & J. W. Bailey, in 1866, and which contained the first circular saw ever seen in these parts. This mill was burned in 1877, and a new one erected in its place. He also had a foundry, and was for many years actively engaged in business transactions. He was a prominent member of the Methodist church, and an earnest worker in building the seminary, and in every enterprise calculated to build up the place. He married a daughter of Rev. Gaylord Judd, and raised a large family, of whom Thomas H. Bailey, our present excellent and honorable burgess, is one. Mr. Bailey died in 1881, aged 75 years.
PROFESSOR CHARLES H. VERRILL was born in Dorchester, Mass., May 29th 1837. In 1858 he entered Bowdoin College, and graduated in the class of 1862. He taught district school during vacation and paid his own expenses. In 1865 he received the degree of Master of Arts from Bowdoin College, and in 1881 the degree of Doctor of Philosophy from Lafayette College. In September 1865 he was appointed professor of mathematics in the State normal school, and held the place four years, when, in 1869, he was appointed acting principal. Professor Streit was principal at this time, but his health was such that he could not perform the duties of the office, and upon his decease a little later, during the fall term, Professor Verrill was elected principal. He remained such for four years, or until 1873, when he resigned and left Mansfield for two years, one year being occupied at Homer (N.Y.) Academy, and one year in teachers' institutes in New York and Pennsylvania. In 1875 he was again appointed principal of the State normal school, this time holding the office for two years, or until 1877, when he became principal of Delaware Literary Institute, a position which he still holds. He was thus connected with the normal school in all ten years, four years as professor of mathematics and six years as principal-a longer time than any other professor has been connected with the school. He gave instruction to every class but one graduating between the years 1865 and 1878, having the classes of '74 and '78 in their junior years. He was one of the very best principals and teachers the normal school ever had, and Mansfield was honored by his presence. There are few better educators in the United States at the present time than Charles H. Verrill.
OTHER COMERS during the period between 1850 and 1870 were: L. Cummings, Augustus Cass, and Henry Huested, in 1850; Elias Miller, in 1851; Lewis Hammond, in 1852; Charles Hammond, in 1854; William Day and Asa Cleveland, in 1855; also William Adams, who was justice of the 20 years, and father of John W. Adams, an attorney and counselor at law, admitted to the bar in 1867; also, during the same years, Henry Allen, another attorney, who was admitted to the bar in 1850, and who came from East Smithfield, Pa. Mr. Allen was Mansfield's first burgess, having been elected in 1857. Elias Frost came here in 1857, and Delos Hubbard and John C. Howe in 1859. Truman Graves came in 1860, Robert Crossley in 1862, Zimri Allen in 1863, R. R. Kingsley in 1865, F. A. Stewart and Thomas Goodall in 1866, Rev. J. S. Palmer, Asa Bullock, R. E. Olney and N. Kingsley in 1867, Dr. A. J. Cole in 1868, and M. M. Spoor in 1869.
GENERAL HISTORICAL SUMMARY.
The events of interest transpiring between 1800 and 1810 may be summed up as follows:
The shooting of Edward Gobin, which happened about the year 1802.
The building of the first saw-mill, in 1803, and the first grist-mill, in 1805 or 1806, by Elihu Marvin. Previous to this the early settlers took their rye (which was their principal bread) on horseback to Williamsport, and it took four days to go to mill. In those days candles were made from deer's tallow, and most of the meat eaten was venison.
The coming of Asa Mann, the founder of Mansfield, in 1804, and the keeping of the first hotel and store by him.
The building of the first Spencer grist-mill, some time prior to 1810, by Amos Spencer.
The building of the first frame house, about the year 1810, by Peter Kelts.
The building of the first frame barn, in 1810, by Elijah Clark.
Dr. Cannon, the first physician, came in 1813 and staid two years, living in one of the Kelts houses, north from the present depot.
In 1822 Dr. Pliny Power located at Canoe Camp. He was the second physician, and remained there several years.
In 1822 the first post-office was established at Canoe Camp, with Amos Spencer as postmaster. A few years later it was removed to Mansfield, and Asa Mann appointed postmaster. He kept the office until his departure for the west, in 1839.
In 1824 Richmond township was formed from Covington. In the same year a tannery was erected by Chandler Mann, and a woolen factory by Almon Allen and Solon Richards. Excepting saw-mills these were the first manufacturing establishments.
In the same year Dr. Dexter Parkhurst located at Mansfield, near the entrance to Smythe Park. He was the third physician. His brother, Joel Parkhurst, now of Elkland, lived with him in 1825, and kept a few goods for sale, which he had spread on a table in an upper room. Benjamin Peterson also came at this time and lived with Parkhurst.
In 1826 Jerusha Lamb, widow of Gad Lamb, organized the first Sunday-school in Richmond township, at her own house. This shall be told as a memorial of her when this page is moth-eaten and yellow with age.
In 1826 Daniel Holden built the first store in Mansfield. Previous to this, in 1824, he built the house afterward occupied by Clint Holden, and which is the oldest house now standing in Mansfield borough. Afterward Asa Mann and William B. Mann, his son, kept a store where the post-office now stands. The same building was next occupied as a store by Almon Allen; then (in 1833) by Loren Fenton, and later by R. W. Washburn; Isaac Hall next kept a store on the ground where S. J. Shepard now keeps, in a building afterward occupied by B. M. Bailey.
In 1829 Captain Samuel Hunt came to Mansfield, where he kept a hotel until his death, in 1851. He built the hotel now occupied by R. K. Brundage. He was born in 1789, and was the father of Albinus Hunt (deceased), Mrs. Alden Allen (deceased), Mrs. Gurdon Fuller and Mrs. L. Cummings.
Samuel Goodall also settled in the township in 1829, having come from England. He married a daughter of Peter Whittaker.
In 1830 Daniel Sherwood & Sons built a saw-mill below Lamb's Creek.
In 1833 Loren Fenton was a merchant in Mansfield. In May of this year there was a great flood in the Tioga River, which swept away large quantities of lumber belonging to him and others.
In 1837 six "arks" were built in the river at Mansfield by C. N. Sykes, Samuel Sykes and Christian Charles, which were loaded with coal brought from Blossburg, and then taken down the river to Painted Post. This was while the river ran to the east of what is now the park. Asa Mann also built a boat, and took it down the river for use on Seneca Lake.
That Mansfield in 1830-1840 was a genuine border town, but little better than Leadville, may be judged by one of many similar occurrences. One night some of the foremost women took Oliver Whittaker's gate off the hinges, and, dragging him and others from their beds, placed them upon it and gave them a free ride, one after another, to Captain Sam Hunt's bar, where the ladies poured a bottle of whiskey on their heads instead of down their throats, and then paid the bill of several dollars.
There was a militia company at this time, with Chandler Mann as captain. All were Jackson Democrats. At a training they had a grove of hickories planted along Wellsboro street north of the tavern, where the Pitts block now stands. One of these trees was found to be a bitternut, whereupon it was riddled with balls from their muskets until there was little left of it but slivers.
E. W. Hazard lived in Mansfield about this time. He was the first regular lawyer.
Mansfield was on the great stage route from Williamsport to Lawrenceville, owned by John Magee, who used to run four-horse coaches. John C. Bennett, now of Covington, was a driver on this route from Covington to Lawrenceville.
Ben Gitchell, who had been sheriff in 1834, built in 1841 the first brick house in town, which was afterward owned by Mat. Swan, and is still standing on the flat in the south part of the village.
In 1842 and 1843 Hon. Daniel L. Sherwood, of Mansfield, was elected a representative in the State Legislature from the counties of Tioga and Potter. In 1844, 1845 and 1846 he was elected to the Senate from the counties of Tioga and Bradford, and was chosen speaker in 1846.
In 1845, 1846 and 1847 a number of canal boats were built at Mansfield and taken down the river for use on the Erie Canal, together with some other boats known as "lakers," for use on Seneca Lake. They were built by Edward Faulkner and Amos Bixby, and by Gurdon Fuller and John Holden.
In July 1850 there occurred a great flood in the Tioga River.
In 1855 the furnace was built by Charles F. Swan for the Mansfield Iron Company. Since then many thousands of tons of ore have been manufactured into iron at this furnace.
On the 13th of February 1857 Mansfield was incorporated a borough, and on the 27th of March following the first officers were elected, as follows: Burgess, Henry Allen; council, P. Gaylord, L. H. Elliott, J. M. Cassells, H. Davis, M. Kelley; justices, Lyman Beach, William Adams; constable, Alvin Gaylord.
In 1860 Hon. S. B. Elliott was elected a representative in the State Legislature.
In the spring of 1865 there was a great flood in the Tioga River.
In 1865 F. M. Spencer began his photograph business in Mansfield, which is now the oldest in the county.
In November 1865 Rev. D. P. Maryatt and family left Mansfield for the west. They had been in the township and village since about the year 1850, and were among the very best families ever residing here.
In 1869 On. Daniel L. Sherwood left Mansfield for Northumberland, Pa., after having resided here for 30 years.
In 1870, April 18th, 19th and 20th, there was a great flood in the Tioga River, and much damage done to property.
In 1870 a law was passed by the State Legislature prohibiting the sale of intoxicating liquors within two miles of the State normal school.
In 1870, December 24th, Mart King's factory burned.
In 1871 the Ross & Williams block was erected, at the southeast corner of Main and Sullivan streets.
In 1872, April 7th, the new Methodist church was dedicated.
In 1873 Robert Crossley started a green-house, which he still keeps up.
In 1873 the Pitts block was erected, at the southwest corner of Main and Wellsboro streets, by D. H. and A. M. Pitts.
In 1874, September 1st, the new normal school building was dedicated. It stands 150 feet north and the same distance east of the old building.
In 1875, January 14th, the boundaries of Mansfield borough were enlarged.
In 1875 a colony was organized in Mansfield by Rev. H. S. Parkhurst, to settle on Hood River, Oregon. November 12th 1875 Mr. Parkhurst died at Ogden City, Utah, while en route with his colony for Oregon.
In 1876, and again in 1878, Dr. Elliott was elected a representative in the State Legislature.
In 1878 the Allen block was erected, at the northeast corner of Main and Sullivan streets, by Professor Allen.
In 1879 Smythe Park was opened to the public, and the first Tioga county agricultural, mechanical and industrial fair held upon the grounds.
In 1880 Edward Doane & Co. commenced running a sash and blind factory, which is still in operation.
In 1880 the population of Mansfield was 1,615, and the population of Richmond was 1,559.
In 1881 the new graded school-house was built.
In 1882, September 27th, 28th and 29th, the Tioga county agricultural, mechanical and industrial fair was held in Smythe Park. It was a great success, over ten thousand people visiting the grounds during the second day, while the display in all departments was very fine-better than ever before.
In 1882 a new steam grist-mill and wood-working factory was erected on Main street, near Corey Creek, by the New Era Manufacturing Company, which is composed of Albert Sherwood, L. L. Flower, Clark B. Sherwood and Andrew Sherwood. A new depot was built by the railroad company; new residences, some of them the finest in the county, are going up in every direction. The State normal school, soldiers' orphan school, graded school and business college are in full operation, and Mansfield is booming.
one of the attractions of Mansfield, was opened in July 1879. Here is annually held the Tioga county agricultural, mechanical, and industrial fair-the largest and most successful fair in northern Pennsylvania-while the place has already become a great resort for excursionists from all the surrounding town and villages. It was long known as "the island," the river having formerly run around it to the east, between it and the railroad. Nature has done much for this beautiful park, and with a little assistance at the hand of man it will shortly become a grand adjunct to Mansfield. Ten thousand dollars have already been expended, not including cost of ground. There have been erected a main building, a ladies' building, dining hall, office, hardware building, band stand, and 300 horse and cattle stalls, with walks and drives. The officers of the Park Association are: Mart King, president; J. A. Elliott; vice-president; C. S. Ross, secretary; Philip Williams, treasurer; Burt Schrader, D. J. Butts, L. F. Allen, T. H. Bailey, and B. Moody, trustees.
JOURNALISM AT MANSFIELD.
In 1856 the first newspaper was started in Mansfield, with I. M. Ruckman as editor. He was succeeded in the editorial chair by Hon. S. B. Elliott, and afterward by J. S. Hoard. The paper was at first called The Balance, but afterward the Mansfield Express, and was printed in the basement of the old Methodist church. The type and fixtures were subsequently sold and taken to Kansas, and during the anti-slavery agitation were pitched into the Missouri River.
In 1872 the Valley Enterprise was brought to Mansfield from Lawrenceville.
During the same year the name was changed to the Mansfield Advertiser,
under which name it is still published. The editors have been H. C. Mills,
V. A. Elliott, O. D. Goodenough, D. A. Farnham, Pratt & Goodenough,
and W. A. Rowland.
1. I desire that the credit shall be given to my friend Mr. Elliott for the greater and more valuable part of this history (nearly all of it in fact), which is taken from an important address delivered by him on the 7th of January 1868, and to which I have simply added enough to give a complete outline history down to the present time.--A.S.]
2. These sketches were not written by Mr. Sherwood, the author of the foregoing history of Richmond and Mansfield.
|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 firstname.lastname@example.org|