ORGANIZATIONS—REDUCTIONS OF AREA—BOUNDARIES—DRAINAGE—PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICE—POPULATION—THE PIONEERS—MILLS AND OTHER ENTERPRISES—SCHOOLS—JUSTICES OF THE PEACE—CHURCHES—CEMETERIES—SOCIETIES—VILLAGES AND POSTOFFICES
CHARLESTON township was organized in December, 1820, and was taken from Delmar. It orginally embraced the greater portion of the area of Duncan township, which was organized in December, 1873, and was taken from it, Delmar and Morris townships. In February, 1883, all that portion of its area lying east of Duncan was added to Bloss township. It is now about five and one-third miles from east to west, by ten and one-third miles from north to south, and contains about fifty-five square miles. Its boundaries are Middlebury on the north; Richmond, Covington and Bloss, on the east; Bloss and Duncan, on the south, and Delmar and Wellsboro on the west.
The drainage of the township is toward all points of the compass, the streams having their sources in marshy upland areas—with one or two exceptions—near the center of the township. Charleston Creek, one of the principle streams, rises in Duncan township, pursues a winding course, first toward the northeast and then toward the northwest, through the southwestern part of the township, and enters Wellsboro’s limits north of the State Road. Its valley is traversed by the Wellsboro and Antrim railroad, constructed in 1872, Catlin Hollow Run rises northeast of Cherry Flats and pursues a northwest course to the northwest corner of the township, when it passes into Middlebury township. It is fed by a number of small branches. Hill’s Creek rises near Whitneyville and flows north into Middlebury township. Elk Run rises near the southeast corner of the township, pursues a northerly course to Cherry Flats, when it turns east into Covington township. Babb’s Creek rises in the Welsh settlement, southwest of Cherry Flats, and flows southeast into Duncan township. From the different courses of these streams it will be seen that the township forms a watershed between the Tioga River on the east, Babb’s Creek on the south, Marsh Creek on the west, and Crooked Creek on the north. The general surface is, therefore, considerable elevated, the average of the uplands being 1,600 to 1,800 feet above sea level. Though mostly upland, the township, except in the southern part, is not rough. Much of its upland area is comparatively level, and the slopes into the valleys gentle enough to permit hill-top, hill-side and valley to be cultivated. Many of the finest farms in the county are in this township, which has enjoyed a constant and progressive growth. In 1840 it had 1,010 inhabitants; in 1870, 2,014; in 1880, 2,193, and in 1890, 1,889. The falling off in the latter year was due to the loss of territory added to Bloss township in 1883.
Isaiah Washburne, a native of Connecticut, came into the county before 1805 and cleared the land that now forms a part of the site of Cherry Flats. This land lies on both sides of the line between Charleston and Covington townships. A few years later he sold his clearing to Levi Elliott, who with his brother, Nathaniel, became early settlers on the village site. Timothy Culver, who, it is said, came as early as 1805, settled near Cherry Flats, and gave it its name, from a small flat, forming its site, which was then covered by a thick growth of cherry trees. Aaron Gillett was another early settler on the village site, removing from the mouth of Mill Creek, Tioga township, where he had located in 1798. He remained at Cherry Flats until 1811, when he removed to Richmond township and settled permanently at Canoe Camp.
Caleb Austin, who came about 1806, located on what is now the county poor farm, near where State Road crosses the western line of the township, and enters Wellsboro. This road was opened from Towanda, Bradford County, via Covington and Cherry Flats, to Wellsboro, in 1808. Its completion greatly forwarded the early settlement of the township.
Peter Shumway came from Massachusetts in 1805, remained a year near Mansfield, and then settled on Shumway Hill, where his grandson, W. P. Shumway, still resides. He was a Revolutionary soldier, and his great-grandson, Peter E. Shumway, of Wellsboro, has in his possession a discharge signed by George Washington, showing that his ancestor was a "soldier in the Fourth Massachusetts Regiment," and that he "faithfully served the United States six years and three months." It also recites that " the above Peter Shumway has been honored by the Badge of Merit for six years’ faithful service." This is surely a priceless heirloom.
Israel Greenleaf, a Revolutionary soldier, came at the same time as Peter Shumway and located north of him. He afterwards removed to Wellsboro and became an early hotel keeper there.
Roswell Bailey, a native of Vermont, came into the county about 1802 and located in Tioga township. About 1810 he removed to what is now known as the Dartt settlement, in Charleston township, and there became a pioneer settler. Here he engaged in farming and lumbering until his death. The tombstone over his grave in the Dartt settlement cemetery bears the following inscription: Rozel Bailey, Killed by the upsetting of his wagon, Oct. 24, 1840."
At the time of his death he was engaged in hauling heavy castings for his sawmill. The team ran away, while going down hill, upsetting the wagon and crushing him under its load. His sister, Betsey, came into the county with him, and in 1812 became the wife of John Lawrence. On February 11, 1891, being then a resident of Mansfield, she celebrated the one hundredth anniversary of her birth, and lived nearly a year longer.
Nathan Niles, Jr., a son of Nathan Niles, a pioneer of Tioga township, located on the State Road, near the Delmar line, before 1810. In 1811 Col. Justice Dartt, a Revolutionary soldier, and a colonel in the Vermont militia after the Revolution, came into the township and founded what is still known as the Dartt Settlement. Thomas Prentiss, who settled near the Shumway Hill, and Elijah Starkweather, who settled at the foot of that hill, were all in the township before 1812, in which year Sylvester Bailey and David Greenleaf, "single freemen", were residents of the township.
The assessment list of 1816 for Delmar township, which then embraced Charleston, contains the names of the following taxables, residing within the limits of the latter township: Caleb Austin, Roswell Bailey, Justus Dartt, Sr., Justus Dartt, Jr., David Henry, who settled on the State Road; James Henry, James J. Porter, who located in the Dartt settlement; Andrew Wetmore, who settled on Wetmore Hill, near the Delmar line, and Oliver Willard, who located on the State Road. For the year 1818 the names of Calvin Brown, Daniel Parker, Leonard and John Porter, Moses Wheeler, Asahel Wetmore and Sleeman Shumway appear. Jesse, William and Nelson Catlin, who came about 1818, settled northwest of the Dartt settlement on Catlin Hollow run.
In 1819 Joel Culver was living near Cherry Flats; Gideon Dewey and John Daily in the Dartt Settlement; Daniel Dennison in Catlin Hollow; Orlando Willard, Isaac Wheeler and Calvin, Eli and Benjamin Gitchell, on the State Road. The names of Frederick Hiltbold, Thomas Sampson, who settled at Cherry Flats, and Vine Segers, who settled near the Shumway Hill, appear on the list of 1820.
The foregoing embraces the names of the principal settlers of the township up to its organization. Many of their descendants occupy the old homesteads, and take high rank among the thrifty, prosperous and intelligent farmers of the county.
The oldest living citizens of the township are Holman Morgan, born November 17, 1801 and Edward McInroy, born December 15, 1801. Mr. McInroy has resided in Catlin Hollow since 1837, and Mr. Morgan has been a resident of the county since 1844. He now resides in East Charleston. Miss Hannah A. Wilson, who died at her home in the township, September 12, 1896, was born near the Young school house in 1814, and was a daughter of Daniel Wilson, who settled there about 1812.
MILLS AND OTHER ENTERPRISES
The pioneer sawmill of the township appears to have been the one erected by Justus Dartt, between 1816 and 1818, in the Dartt settlement. This mill was built on Catlin Hollow run, and was operated by Mr. Dartt until 1829 or 1830. About 1819 Timothy Culver and Oliver Willard established a carding machine near Cherry Flats, and ran it two or three years. In 1830 or 1831 Elmer Bacon, father of Dr.M. L. Bacon of Wellsboro, and Benjamin Gitchell erected a sawmill on Charleston Creek, below Round Top. In 1837 Rm. Bacon became sole owner and operated the mill until 1846. About 1831 Roswell Bailey erected a sawmill on Catlin Hollow run in the Dartt settlement. Mr. Bailey continued as a lumberman and mill operator until his death, heretofore referred to, October 24, 1840.
In 1827 Dr. Jacob Schieffelin purchased several thousand acres of land in the northern part of the township, on Hill’s Creek. Here he settled in 1828, and in 1830 he erected a sawmill, which he ran about ten years. From this time forward mills were established rapidly in various parts of the township, and changes of ownership were frequent. Among those whose names appear on the earlier assessment lists of the township as mill owners or operators were: Philemon Culver, 1831; Watrous Seely, 1834; Erastus Smith, 1835-36; Wilson W. Bailey, 1837; R. W. Bailey, 1838-42; Asahel Culver, 1837-39; Joseph Bacchus, 1840-50; Richard I. Moon, 1838-42; Erastus Smith, 1840-47; David Smith, 1841-47; George Spratt, 1841-43; James
Borst 1842-48; William Dennison, 1843; Levi Aaron and Levi H. Elliott, 1843-48; David Morgan, 1843; Chester Partridge, 1843; and many others, among whom were Cyrus Wright and Dexter Catlin, who erected a mill on Catlin Hollow run between 1845 and 1850. In the latter it was owned and operated by Cyrus Catlin. About 1849 or 1850 Philemon Culver erected a grist mill on Charleston Creek, near the present county farm. It was operated by him for a number of years and subsequently by Robert Brundage, Bailey & Wright, Burton Shrader and S. L. Herrington. It was destroyed by fire about 1886 and was not rebuilt.
These early sawmills and their successors have all passed away, the forests which fed them having been cleared off years ago, and the land on which they stood reduced to cultivation. The transformation was wrought slowly but effectively, and represents, in the hundreds of attractive homes that dot the hills and vales of the township; the highly cultivated farms that surround them; the schools and churches that have been established, and the rural villages that have grown up with the passing years, the patient industry and intelligent effort of four generations of an earnest, frugal and hard working yeomanry.
The early schools of Charleston, like those of other townships of the county, were maintained by subscription, and before the settlers were numerous enough in any one neighborhood to erect a school house, were taught in private dwellings. The earliest schools were established in the Dartt settlement and at Cherry Flats, the school buildings being log structures, replaced later by frame buildings. Perhaps no other township in the county has paid more attention to education or can boast better public school buildings than Charleston. Its school districts are small, and the pupils have shorter distances to travel than in other townships. Good teachers—usually graduates of the State Normal School at Mansfield—are employed, and fair salaries paid. There are at present twenty schools in the township, in which school is maintained six months in the year.
JUSTICES OF THE PEACE
The following named persons have served as justices of the peace for Charleston township; Benajah H. Ives, 1825; Jacob Babb, 1826; Chauncey Alford, 1827; David Ellis, 1830; Joseph Aiken, 1832; John R. Ray, 1833; John F. Donaldson, 1834; Daniel Holiday, Jr. 1835; Simeon Houghton, 1836; Levi I. Nichols, 1836; Alanson E. Niles, 1840; Carlisle Atherton, 1840; Joel Culver; 1844; Isaiah Wilson, 1845; John Gibson, 1850; James Kelly, 1851; re-elected 1856; Holman Morgan, 1856; re-elected 1861, 1878, 1883 and 1888; Charles Close, 1861; re-elected 1866; George W. Avery, 1866; Thomas D. Elliott, 1869; D. A. Evans, 1871; D. P. Benedict, 1873; Ira Johnston, 1882; William R. Jones, 1887; re-elected 1892 and 1897; and C. H. Scouten, 1893.
The Charleston Baptist Church was at first a branch of the Middlebury Baptist society and was formed as such August 26, 1843. On November 3, 1843, a conference to organize a separate church met and the church was formally organized April 30, 1844, with the following named members: Almira Catlin, Mary Wilkinson, Hannah Tipple, Lewis Bacon, Clarissa Mudge, Henry Bailey, Betsy Bailey, Isaac Wheeler, Amy Ann Wheeler, Mathilda Dartt, David Lewis, Jane Hart, Maria F. Marvin and Robert Burley. At the time this church was organized, Rev. J.T. Coffin was pastor of the Middlebury church, and the new church fell under his care. His successors have been: Revs. Samuel Bullock, Elder Burman, C. Beebe, 1851; Levi Stone, 1855-59; J. Ingerick, 1860-62; P. Reynolds, 1863-65; C. A. Stone, 1867-68; M. Rockwell, 1873; N. L. Reynolds, 1875; D. T. VanDoren, 1877-81; V. P. Mather, 1882-84; H. M. Wofe, Jr., 1886-88; W. H. Porter, 1890-94; B. M. Posten, 1895-96, and Will E. Braisted, who took charge June1, 1895. The early meetings were held in the school house. About 1854 the Baptists and Methodists joined in the building of a new church, in the Dartt settlement and also in Catlin Hollow. Within the past twenty years, the Dartt settlement church has become the property of the Baptists and the Catlin Hollow church of the Methodists. The Charleston Baptist Church has now about 140 members. A Sunday school with a total membership of eighty is maintained, of which Oris Smith is superintendent.
The Old School Baptist Church, the pioneer church of Cherry Flats, was organized sometime during the forties by Elder Eli Gitchell, who preached for the society over twenty years. Among the original members were Levi, Oliver and Levi H. Elliott, Norman Rockwell and members of the Ely, Wheeler and other families. When the present Baptist church building was erected this society owned a one-fourth interest in it, and held services every fourth Sunday. After a few years their membership began to be absorbed by the Regular Baptist church and soon dwindled away until the society passed out of existence.
The Regular Baptist Church of Cherry Flats was organized June 3, 1854, with the following membership: Oliver Elliott, Isaac Wheeler, Amy Ann Wheeler, Clarissa Mudge, Jane Hart, William West, Caroline A. West, C. Whittemore, Rachel Whittemore, Edwin Whittemore, Julia A. Whittemore, Julia A. Macumber, Eveline S. Culver, Ann Johnson, Levi Stone, Juliana Stone, Albert Stone, Emma A. Stone, Noah Wheeler, Thomas D. Elliott, Josephine Gillett, Mariah Gillett, Rachel Davis, Nancy B. Mudge, Eliza Wheeler, Beluvia Fenton, May Whittemore, Alvira Bacon, Isaac E. Rumsey, Jacob Johnson and Margaret Teese. The names of the pastors who have served this church are as follows: Revs. Levi Stone, 1855-57; M. Rockwell, 1858-59; Philander Reynolds, 1862-65; C. A. Stone, 1867-69; M. Rockwell, 1873; F. Purvis, 1874; D. T. VanDoran, 1877-81; V. P. Mather, 1882-82; H. M. Wolf, Jr., 1886-88; W. H. Porter, 1890-92; James Jones, 1893-95; T. C. Davis, 1895-96. This church as no pastor at present. A frame church building was erected in 1855, during the pastorate of Rev. Levi Stone. It is still in use, having been kept in good repair. The church now numbers seventy-three members. There are sixty-two pupils in the Sunday school, the superintendent of which is Mrs. Emma Brown. P. P. Bliss, afterwards famous as a singer and an evangelist, became a member of this church September 8, 1855.
The Regular Baptist Church of East Charleston was organized in 1862. It was admitted to the Tioga Baptist Association in 1867 and incorporated June 1, 1867. The following names were signed to the petition: Rev. C. A. Stone, pastor; Chester Partridge and D. P. Benedict, deacons; Thomas D. Elliott, L. H. Robbins, Jeremiah Dockstader, John J. Niel and Charles D. Ferry. Mr. Stone continued as pastor until 1870, when for three years there was no pastor. Mr. Rockwell was pastor in 1873, after which time the church seems to have died out.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Catlin Hollow was organized about 1850. Among the early members were Cyrus Catlin and his wife, Joel Catlin and wife, Edward McInroy and Dexter Catlin and wife. On September 15, 1854, the "Methodist and Baptist Union House, Catlin Hollow, Charleston Township," was incorporated, the incorporators being Henry Bailey, president; Dexter P. Catlin, secretary; Edward McInroy, treasurer, and Cyrus Catlin and Joel Catlin, wardens. The incorporators erected a house of worship in Catlin Hollow, which was used by the Methodists and Baptists up to about 1880, when the building and grounds became the property of the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Catlin Hollow, which was incorporated May 14, 1881, the incorporators being George Borden, Wesley Saxbury and James Boyce. The building was then thoroughly repaired and refurnished. This church was for a number of years in the Wellsboro charge, and between 1855 and 1860 in the Charleston charge, and has since been served by pastors of the church in East Charleston. It has a large membership and maintains a well attended Sunday school.
The First Methodist Episcopal Church of Charleston was the outgrowth of a class, the early members of which belonged to the church in Catlin Hollow. The society was incorporated February 13, 1857, the incorporators being Chauncey Dartt, Joseph Wilcox, Marcus Benedict, Harvey Adams and Alonzo Whitney. This church was constituted a separate charge before 1860, since which year it has been served by the following pastors: Revs. R. L. Stillwell, 1861; C. L. F. Howe, 1862; J. Shaw, 1863; C. Weeks, 1864-66; W. Statham, 1867; G. S. Transue, 1871-93; H. C. Moyer, `874; G. W. Howland, 1875-76; J. V. Lowell, 1877; M. S. Kymer, 1878-79; Charles N. Patterson, 1881-82; G. W. Howland, 1883-84; A. G. Cole, 1885-86; J. J. Owen, 1887-88; A. W. Decker, 1889-91; F. A. Peterson, 1892-95, and Rev. W. L. Clough, the present pastor, who came in 1896. Meetings were held in the school house and in the Union church in the Dartt settlement until 1877, when the present house of worship was erected. The pastors of this church also serve the churches in Catlin Hollow and Cherry Flats.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Round Top was organized in 1863. Up to 1886 it was in the Wellsboro charge and was served by the pastors of the Wellsboro church. In 1886 it was made a separate charge and the pulpit supplied by appointment of the presiding elder until 1892, when Rev. L. A. Davis became pastor. He served until October, 1895, when Rev. Cornelius Dillenbeck, the present pastor, took charge. The early meetings were held in the school house on Shumway Hill and later in Coolidge Hollow. In 1891 a neat frame church building was erected, costing $2,000. The church now numbers ninety-five members. A Sunday school of 118 pupils is maintained. In the summer of 1896 a parsonage, costing $700, was purchased.
Mt. Zion Wesleyan Methodist Church was organized about 1846, the early meetings being held in school houses. In 1861 a church building costing $1,000 was erected at Round Top. Among the ministers who have served this church have been Revs. Mr. Chapman, Stephen A. Leonard, Francis Strang, Elijah Peak, Seth Clark, John Haverly, Warren Whitmore, Holman Morgan and Samuel Mills. The present pastor is Rev. Caradoc Jones, who is also the pastor at the county poor house. This church maintains a good Sunday school.
The Welsh Congregation and Society of Charleston was organized in 1840. An application for a charter was filed in the court of quarter sessions, Wellsboro, February 20, 1849, but the charter was not granted until November 18, 1856. The original petitioners were David W. Rees, David Edwards, William Bowen, David Morris and John Morris. A small chapel was erected about 1850 and used as a place of worship until 1867, when a church building, costing $1,500, was erected on the farm of David Bowen. Among the ministers who served this church as pastors were the following: Revs. John Davis, Richard Jones, Evan Davis Philip Peregrine, J. F. Calkins, Henry Harris, F. Tilo Evans, James Evans, Abram Jones and Caradock Jones, who took charge in November, 1895. The present membership of the church is fifty, with about the same number in the Sunday school, which is in charge of Fred Evans, superintendent.
The First Christian Church of Charleston was incorporated in 1872, the following named persons being the charter trustees: Joel Culver, Alonzo Kimball, Ephriam Hart, Alanson Thompson and Jeremiah Klock. A church building was erected on the State Road, a short distance east of the county farm. Services were maintained regularly for several years. Lately, however, the society has so decreased in membership that no pastor has been employed, and no services held. A Sunday school is, however, still maintained.
The cemeteries of Charleston, owning to its large area, are numerous. Most of them were originally family graveyards which later became places of public burial. Among the earliest of these may be mentioned the cemetery adjoining the Baptist church at Cherry Flats, where members of the Elliott and other early families lie buried; the old graveyard on the Caleb Austin place, now a part of the county farm; the old burial ground in the Dartt settlement, and the cemetery near the Methodist Episcopal church in Catlin Hollow. The incorporated cemeteries are the Shumway Hill cemetery, the East Charleston cemetery and the new cemetery in the Dartt settlement. The first was incorporated December 12, 1868; the second April 18, 1876 and the last April 11, 1881.
The secret and benevolent societies of the township are confined to the Patrons of Husbandry and the Knights of the Maccabees, the different lodges of which have large memberships and are well attended. Charleston Valley Grange, No. 54, P. of H., is one of the oldest granges in the county. It was organized December 20, 1873, and now numbers 116 members. It meets at Round Top, in a hall building erected for its use in 1886-87 by a stock company. Aurora Grange, No. 874, P. of H., was organized March 8, 1889. It meets in the Packard building at Cherry Flats, and has nearly sixty members. Union Grange, No. 1107, P. of H., was organized March 6, 1891, with thirty-four members. In 1892 it erected a hall building in Catlin Hollow, at a cost of $800. It is prosperous and its membership is rapidly increasing. East Charleston Tent, No. 88, K. O. T. M., was organized November 17, 1893. It now has about fifty members and meets in the hall over Waldo Spear’s store in East Charleston, which is also the meeting place of East Charleston Hive, No. 88, L. O. T. M. Catlin Hollow Tent, K. O. T. M., was organized March 7, 1896, with eighteen members. It meets in the Grange hall in Catlin Hollow.
VILLAGES AND POSTOFFICES
Cherry Flats is situated on the State Road, near the headwaters of Elk Run, and was named by Timothy Culver, from a small flat forming part of its site, once covered with a thick growth of wild cherry. The line dividing Charleston from Covington township runs through it from north to south, a few feet east of A. J. Richards’ store. The early settlement of the place has already been given. A postoffice was established here about 1845. Norman Rockwell, the first postmaster, held the office until 1856, when Col. N. A. Elliott was appointed. His successors have been Abraham Johnson, Irving Harkness, G. S. Parsons, L. M. Rose, appointed in September 1889; Albert F. Packard, April 1892, and John C. Secor, the present incumbant, July 23, 1893. A daily mail is received be stage from Wellsboro. The first merchant was Oliver Elliott, who opened a general store in 1850, and continued in business until 1868, when he removed to Mansfield. The second store was opened in 1850 by Col. N. A. Elliott. Simeon F. Utter, William Adams, Norman Rockwell, J. W. Elliott and G. S. Parsons were among the earlier merchants. There are now two general stores in the place, one of which is kept by A. F. Packard and the other by A. J. Richards. Col.. N. A. Elliott opened a hotel in 1851. In 1858 he sold it to Christopher Williams, who kept it until it burned down in 1861. It has had no successor. There are three churches in the village. The Baptist church, which is the oldest, is in Charleston township; The Methodist Episcopal and the Second Adventist across the line in Covington. The Cherry Flats Cheese Factory was established in May, 1893, by F. E. Zimmer, of East Charleston. Its patrons are residents of the eastern part of Charleston and western part of Covington townships. The average annual output is 70,000 pounds.
Whitneyville, or East Charleston post office, is situated in the northeastern part of the township, within a mile of the Richmond township line. One of the earliest settlers here was Asa G. Churchill, whose name with that of John Churchill appears on the assessment list of 1823. The name of Lemuel Churchill appears two years later. Tyrus Rice, another early settler in this neighborhood appears on the assessment list of 1838. The village, however, owes its existence to, and takes its name from Alonzo Whitney and Capt. Nelson Whitney, who settled on its site in 1848. The father pursued farming until his death, May 1, 1881. The son, Capt. Nelson Whitney, devoted himself to farming until 1858, when he opened a general store, and soon did a business of about $20,000 a year. He also became interested in the East Charleston Cheese Factory and other enterprises. Among those who have succeeded him as merchants in the village have been Holman Morgan, John Kohler, and others. Waldo Spear, the present merchant, has been in business since 1883. A post office was established here about forty years ago, the first postmaster being Alonzo Whitney. Among his successors have been Elias Tipple, Miss Carrie Stone and Waldo Spear, the present incumbent, who came in 1883. A daily mail is received by stage from Mansfield. A carding machine and steam saw mill were established by Capt. Nelson Whitney.
The East Charleston Cheese Factory was established in 1863 by a stock company. It has been operated for several years past by F. E. Zimmer, who also operates factories in Cherry Flats and Canoe Camp.
The Dartt Settlement is situated on Catlin Hollow Run, north of the center of the township. The pioneer settler where was Col. Justus Dartt, heretofore mentioned. He was the first postmaster of the office which was established there nearly three-quarters of a century ago. He continued to hold the office until his death. His successors have been Cyrus Dartt, John W. Bailey, James G. Dartt and C. E. Bean, the present incumbent. Mr. James G. Dartt, who held the office for many years, received a check for three cents, being the balance due him by the government upon final settlement. It is said to have been the smallest check ever cashed in the county. The first school in the township was taught, and the first saw mill erected in the township was built here. The Union church, erected here about 1857 by the Methodist and Baptists, was one of the first houses of worship in the township. It is now owned by the Baptists. In the old cemetery lie the remains of Col. Justus Dartt and Roswell Bailey, as well as of other early settlers.
The Welsh Settlement is the name given to a section of the township southwest of Cherry Flats, in which a number of Welshmen and their families settled between 1840 and 1850. The earlier ones to locate were Thomas Evans, Lewis Lewis, Miles Harris, David G. Edwards, David Morris, Rees Morris, David Reese, John Jones and John E. Jones. Soon after coming they established a church in which worship has been regularly maintained to the present time. The members of this settlement enjoy a reputation for industry, thrift and honesty, and are among the most prosperous and successful tillers of the soil in the township.
Round Top is the name of a village on Charleston Creek in the southwestern part of the township. It derives its name from the peculiar shape of the roof of the first school house, which was known as the "Round Top School House." A post office was established here in1872, the first postmaster being Samuel Morgan. His successors have been George Rabb, Charles Close, Mrs. Jane Close and E. G. Close, the present incumbent, who took charge November 29, 1889. In 1872 Samuel Morgan opened the first store in the village. He sold it, in 1873, to Charles Close. After Mr. Close’s death, in 1883, his widow carried on the business. In 1888 her son, E. G. Close, became proprietor. The Wellsboro and Antrim railroad, completed in 1872, passes through the village, in which there are now two churches, a grange hall, a public school building and a cheese factory, besides a number of private residences. The Round Top Cheese Factory was established in 865 by a stock company. It was operated by Charles Close from 1870 until his death in 1883, and by his widow until 1888, since which time it has been run by E. G. Close. It has an annual output of 60,000 pounds of cheese.
Hill’s Creek is the name of a settlement on Hill’s Creek
near the northern line of the township. The pioneer here was Dr. Jacob
Schieffelin. In 1827 he purchased a large body of land in this section
of the township, on which he located in 1828. In1830 he build a saw mill
and for a number of years thereafter was a leading lumberman. In 1863 Solomon
Bennett and Ira Newhall erected a steam saw mill here, and soon afterward
sold it to Luther Bennett and George P. Card. Among the early settlers
in this part of the township were Chauncey Ferry, Charles Ferry Sr., Chester
Partridge, Tilden Cruttenden, Virgil Sweet, Marcus Benedict, John Sampson,
Capt. William Hill, whose name the creek bears, Thomas Kelly, James Roach,
James Abernathy and Elisha Keeney.