|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 email@example.com|
Chapter XLV. Jackson Township.
Organization- Origin of Name-Original Area-Present Boundaries-Physical Features-Streams-Altitude-Population-Pioneer Settlement-Early Milling Enterprises-Schools-Physicians, Lawyers, and Justices- Churches and Cemeteries-Societies-Villages and Post offices.
Jackson Township was created in September, 1815, from territory previously embraced in Tioga township, and was named in honor of Andrew Jackson, the hero of the battle of New Orleans, and subsequently president of the United States. As originally constituted it embraced about one-half of the present township of Rutland, which was created in 1828. It is the northeastern township of the county, and is bounded on the north by New York State, on the east by Bradford county, on the south by Rutland township, and on the west by Tioga and Lawrence townships. It is nearly square, averaging about seven miles and a quarter from east to west by six and a quarter from north to south, and contains about forty-five square miles. The surface is rugged, the hills in some places being step and high. The soil is fairly fertile , the upland as well as valley area being well cultivated and productive. The principal streams are Seely and Hammond creeks. The former drains the southeastern part of the township, lowing northeast through Job’s Corners and Daggetts, and passing into Bradford county about a mile and a half southeast of Millerton. Hammond creek rises in the southern part of the township, and flows almost due north to Trowbridge. Here it turns and pursues a northeast course through Millerton to the Bradford county line, about a mile south of the New York state line. Alder Brook , a branch of Hammond creek flows southeast , and drains the northwestern part of the township. Bear creek, another branch flows from the south and drains a portion of the eastern part of the township. Holiday run, which rises southeast of Maple Ridge, and flows northwest into Tioga and Lawrence townships, drains the southwestern part of the township. The mean elevation above tidewater is about 1,600 feet.
The settlement of the township began in 1793, and it has grown steadily and faithfully. In 1840 it had 1,123 inhabitants; in 1870, 1,531; in 1880, 1,824, and 1890, 1,704.
Pioneer Settlement.[Mostly men only - Women not included - Sorry]
Garret Miller, was the pioneer settler of the township. He came from Orange county, New York, and the date of his coming is fixed by the following inscription from the tombstone which marks the grave of his son, Capt, Samuel Miller, in the cemetery at Millerton:
Capt. Samuel Miller. Pioneer of this town. Resided here for 57 years. Died September 26, 1850. Aged 71 years, 4 Months.
The Napoleon of hunters; the kind, affectionate relative and the generous friend.
According to this inscription Garret Miller and his family came into the township as early as 1793. A clearing was first made north of Millerton, near the New York state line, but they soon afterward moved down into the valley and settled permanently on Hammond creek, on the site of Millerton. The names of Garret Miller and Samuel Miller appear in the census returns of the county for 1800,the age of the former being given as forty-two and that of the latter as twenty-two. The township at the time of their settlement was a trackless wilderness, and they were compelled to cut a road through the forest from Newton--now Elmira-- to their new home. They belonged to a hardy and vigorous stock, and their descendants are among the leading citizens and business men of the township.
The next settlement was made in 1797 by Reuben Daggett, who brought his family from his native state--New Hampshire--and settled on Seely creek, near the Bradford county line, in the southeastern part of the township. The place is still known as Daggett’s Mills. Here he and his sons, Rufus, Reuben and Seth, erected the first grist-mill and the first saw-mill in the township.
In 1812 the following named persons were residents of the township: Enos Curtis, who settled in the eastern part; Jonathan Corey, Sr., Jonathan Corey, Jr., Hiram Corey and John Corey, near Jackson Summit; Reuben Daggett, Jr., Rufus Daggett and Seth Daggett, who settled at Daggett” Mills. Daniel Lafferty, who settled at Job’s Corners; Garret Miller, Sr., Samuel Miller, Garret Miller ,Jr., and Joshua Miller, who settled at Millerton; David Nichols, who settled at Maple Ridge; James and Jesse Seely, who settled on Seely creek, and Andrew Sharp. David and Clement Paine were also in the township in 1812.
The foregoing were the pioneer families of the township. After 1812 Jackson settled rapidly, the assessment list of 1816 showing forty taxable. In 1818 the number had increased to fifty-nine. Owing to the entire township being heavily timbered with pine, its land were cleared slowly, the settlers preferring to await the advent of saw-mills to convert the forests into lumber. These soon came and lumbering became, and for half a century remained, the leading industry of the township.
Early Milling Enterprises.
Jackson township early became the scene of important and extensive lumbering operations. From 1815 until after 1850 the work of converting its immense forests of pine into lumber was pushed forward with all the vigor and energy at the command of those who had their capital invested in mills and in timber lands. Before the advent of the railroad into the township, logs and lumber were hauled to Elmira. In the early days these were rafted down the Chemung river and the North branch of the Susquehanna to Philadelphia and other lumber markets. Saw-mills were numerous and changes of ownership, frequent, showing that the business, while promising large profits, often involved those who engaged in it in serious loss. As the timber disappeared the mills shut down, until there is only one of the old mills--the Mitchell mill on Alder brook-- in operation.
The pioneer grist-mill in the township was the Daggett mill, erected on Seely creek, about a mile below the present village of Daggetts. It first appears on the assessment list in 1817, and is assessed to Reuben Daggett, Jr. It was a water-mill, and was operated until 1820 by Reuben Daggett, Jr., from which time until his death in 1835 it was carried on by Rufus Daggett. His widow, Hannah Daggett, retained control of the property until 1849, when it passed into the possession of William Daggett. He rebuilt and operated it until 1853, when the firm became Daggett & Sixbee, who ran it for a number of years. The mill is now the property of George W. Eighmey. It has three run of stone and the roller process, and has a capacity of 200 barrels of flour a day. Steam and water power are both used. About 1843 James Mill erected a water-power grist -mill on Hammond creek at Millerton. In 1845 and 1846 it was operated by Strock & Buchanan. It was afterward carried on by Mr. Miller for a number of years.
The first saw-mill in the township appears on the assessment list of 1817, assessed to Seth Daggett, for many years a prominent and leading lumberman. He operated this and other mills until 1843, when he removed to Tioga. This is the only saw-mill appearing on the assessment list of the township until 1831, when the names of Seth Daggett, Ezra Houghton, James Miller , Joshua G. Spencer and Foster Updyke are given as owners of saw-mills. All these mills, except that of James Miller, which was at Millerton, appears to have been in operation on Seely creek. The Foster Updyke mill was between Daggett’s Mills and Job’s Corners and was operated by him until his death about 1847. It then became the property of Warren Wells, and afterward had other owners. In 1832 Boynton & Dalrymple began operations in the township and had three mills on Hammond creek. In 1834 they were operating five mills in various parts of the township. The hard times of 1837 appear to have caught them, as after that year their names are not on the assessment list. The mill established by James Miller at Millerton appears to have been conducted successfully for a number of years. Among the other early mills owners and operators were Aaron Gaylord, Thomas & Sayre, Irvin Clark, Norman Wells A. C. Bush, William S. Valleau, Henry Johnston, Richard Jones, Jedidiah and Thomas Luce, Amos Kelly, Richard Updyke, George Weyborn, Abraham Minear, John Mitchell, Nathan Boynton, Clark Stilwell, Samuel Buchanan, William B. Keyes, S. L. Parmeter, Thomas Shear, Oliver B. Cook, Aaron Chidister, Samuel Rexford, who erected the first steam saw-mill in the township in 1846, and who at one time owned six mills; William R. Sherford and Albert Mitchell. The only mill now in operation, except portable mills, is the Mitchell on Alder brook, established in 1835, and now owned by George Mitchell.
A tannery was established in 1831 at Daggett’s Mills by John G. Hubbell. In 1838 Hiram B. Roberts became proprietor. He died in 1842, and his widow, Phoebe Roberts, carried on the enterprise until 1844, when Seth Roberts took charge and operated it until 1849.
A log school house was erected at Daggett’s Mills about 1820. Here Miller Vaughn, who came into the township as early as 1817, taught. Among the other early teachers were Bethuel Goff, Daniel Leonard, and Jane Buchanan. The early schools were supported by subscription. After the adoption of the public school law of 1835, the township was sub-divided into school districts and substantial school buildings erected. The township has now fourteen schools in which instruction in the English branches is given on an average of eight months in the year. Capable and efficient teachers are employed and good wages paid.
Physicians, Lawyers and Justices.
As early as 1823, and for several years thereafter, Dr. Ezra Wood, an early settler in Rutland township, practiced in that and Jackson townships. Hiram B. Roberts, who came into Jackson township about 1830, and settled at Daggett’s Mills, was the first resident physician. He appears to have practiced but a short time, and to have devoted himself to other enterprises rather than to medicine. Dr. Lewis Darling, an early resident physician of Lawrenceville, extended his practice into the township. Ralph D. Shepherd practiced from 1841 to 1843 at Daggett’s Mills. D. N. Hunt practiced in the township from 1845 to 1850. Dr. Nathaniel Smith, who is still in active practice, located in Millerton in 1847. Erastus D. Yule came into the township in 1853 and practiced several years. Charles Voorhees located at Daggett’s Mills in 1856, and practiced there until his death, when he was succeeded by his son, Sherman Voorhees, who is still in practice .Frank Smith, a son of Dr. Nathaniel Smith, has been practice in Millerton since 1871.
Samuel E. Kirkendall, the only lawyer in the township, has been in practice in Millerton since 1873.
The following named persons have served as justices of the peace of the township: Seth Daggett, 1824; Hosea Howland, 1829; Theodore Larrison, 1832; Clark Stilwell, 1836; Charles Tillinghast, 1840; Allen Gibson, 1840; Joshua G. Spencer, 1841; John W. Stowell, 1845; re-elected, 1850; Malachi Murdough, 1846;William B. Keyes, 1851; Nathaniel Smith, 1855; re-elected1865; Orrin D. Bly, 1855; re-elected 1864,1873,1879; O. B. Wells, 1860; Hector L. Miller, 1860; M. K. Retan, 1868; D. B. Lain, 1870; E. C. Stilwell, 1875; re-elected, 1880; L. C. Retan, 1880;re-elected 1885,1890; W. G. Shieve, 1885; C. H. Shieve, 1889; re-elected, 1894; John E. Barnes, 1894; J. D. Garrison, 1895.
Churches and Cemeteries.
The First Jackson Baptist Church was organized in 1841.The names of the early members are as follows: E. T. Wood, Jacob Bryan, A. B. Bryan, Chester Updyke, Steven Wood, A. G. Garrison, W. S. McIntyre, Johnson Brewer, William Garrison, Reuben Updyke, Elijah Moore, John Sedinger, Samuel Grinnell, Albert Shorter, D. B. Harvey, S. Updyke, Spencer Wood, Jedidiah Rice and wife, Myron Mills, Hiram B. Bryan, Sarah Updyke, Samantha Brewer, Harriet Garrison, Mercy Spencer, Rachel Parmeter, Fanny Crandall, Emeline Johnson, Polly Wood, Olive Osgood, Emeline Baker, Ann Bryan, Elizabeth Moore, Sarah Parmeter, Harriet Updyke, Phebe A. Updyke, Nancy J. Webster, Louisa Shieve, Mercy Grinnell, Mary Roe, Mary Ann Johnson, Harriet Van Hart, Phoebe A. Wells, and Angeline Shepherd. Meeting were held in Foster Updyke’s house until 1847. The first pastor, Rev. Samuel Grinnell, served ten years. His successor, Rev. Myron Rockwell, served until 1854, since which the church has had the following pastors: Revs. C. Beebe, 1855; Samuel Grinnell, 1856; C. Beebe, 1857-58; L. Stone, 1860-63; M. Rochwell,1864-68; M. Rockwell, 1870; Levi Stone, 1872; C. H. Crowl, 1873; M. Rockwell, 1875-77; L. D. Ayers, 1880; C. B. Smith, 1884; R. D. Hayes, 1885-86; J. A. Klucker, 1889; G. P. Watrous, 1891-93; F. Wilson, 1894; M. H. Dunham, 1895; W. H. Porter, 1896; The present church building was erected at Job’s Corners about 1870. The church now has twenty-eight members. There are fifty-five teachers and pupils in the Sunday-school, of which J. E. Sedinger is the superintendent.
The West Jackson Baptist Church was organized November 4, 1841. The following named persons constituted the original membership: Samuel Bullock, Dean Hudson, James Friends, Horatio Bisbee, Augustus Bisbee, Sylvanus Hudson, George Friends, Polly Friends, Lucinda Beeman, Elizabeth M. L. Bullock, Hannah Hudson, and Jane Hudson. At the time the church organized Samuel Bullock was ordained a minister and became the first pastor, remaining until August 27, 1843. His successors have been Revs. Stephen Tobey, 1843-46; Samuel Grinnell, 1847-48Stephen Tobey, 1849-53;Samuel Grinnell, 1855; Stephen Tobey, 1857; D. P. Maryott, 1858; W. B. Jones, 1859;E. A. Hadley, 1860; L. Stone, 1861-65; M. Rockwell, 1866-71; F. Purvis, 1875;C. P. Mott,1877; L. D. Ayers, 1879-81; S. W. Cole, 1882-83; C. B. Smith, 1884; R. D. Hayes, 1887-88; G. P .Watrous, 1892-93;M. H. Dunham, 1895; W. H. Porter, 1896. In 1876 a frame church building was erected at a cost of $1,600. Previous to its erection the society worshipped in the Mann school house. The church is situated on the Alder Brook road, near the residence of S. R. Friends. The society now numbers thirty-eight members. There are sixty teachers and pupils in the Sunday-school, of which Jay Friends is the superintendent.
Jackson Summit Baptist Church was organized in the spring of 1884, with L. R. Sheldon, Helen N. Sheldon, W. L. Hazen, Mrs. W. L. Hazen, P. F. Wilson, Susan Wilson, Jay Wilson, Minnie Hazen, Fannie Hazen, Grant Whipple, K. T. Davis, Edgar Crumb, Emma Crumb, Lot Morrill and Emma Walker. The names of the pastors of this church are as follows: Revs. C. B. Smith,1884; L. D. Ayers, 1885; A. Ward, 1886; G. P. Watrous,1892-93;M. H. Dunham, 1895; W. H. Porter, 1896; This society built a neat frame house of worship costing $750, in 1892. There are forty-four members connected with this church; also two Sunday-school, one at Jackson Summit and one at the Thomas school house, with a total membership of 115 teachers and pupils.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Millerton was organized in 1848, by Rev. William Haskell, with the following members: Hezekiah Dunham, Anna Dunham, Hector L. Miller, Polly Kelley, Elizabeth Kelley, George Miller, Hannah Miller, George Prutsman and Betsy Prutsman. The first pastor was Rev. William M. Haskell. His successors have been: Revs. Harvey Lamkin, W. H. Knapp, Thomas J. O. Wooden, Mr. Coolbaugh, Mr. Ford, John Alabaster, A. J. Blanchard, A. Ensign, N. B. Congdon, H. B. Troxell, Paul Smith, E. C. White, Henry Meeker, J. C. Crowther, Charles L. Shergus and W. W. Hunt, the present pastor, who took charge in October, 1896. A frame church building was erected in 1851-53, during the pastorate of Rev. W. H. Knapp, and a parsonage during the pastorate of Rev. A. J. Blanchard. There are now eighty members in this church. In the Sunday-school there are 100 teachers and pupils. The superintendent is S. J. Kirkendall. Walter Messing is president of the Epworth League. The church at Jackson Center and the class at Kelly Hill are in this charge. The members of a Methodist Episcopal church formerly existed at Mitchell’s Mill joined with this church a few years ago, the society at Mitchell’s Mills going out of existence.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Daggett’s Mills was organized nearly fifty years ago, and a house of worship, costing $1,500, built in 1854. It has belonged to the Genesee and Troy conference. It has, during recent years been served by pastors assigned to neighboring churches in Bradford county. The present pastor is Rev. S. W. Eaton.
The Methodist Church of Jackson Center is the outgrowth of a class organized there over thirty years ago. A house of worship was erected in 1871. This church now numbers 110 members and maintains a good Sunday-school. It is in the Millerton charge and has been by the pastors of the Millerton Church.
Cemeteries in which repose the remains of the pioneer settlers of Jackson, are to be found at Millerton, Daggetts, Job’s Corners and Mitchell’s Mills, Jackson Center and other places in the township. Those at Millerton, Daggetts, Job’s Corners and Mitchell’s Mills are large, well laid out and well cared for. In the cemetery at Millerton lie the remains of Garret Miller and his wife, his son, Capt. Samuel Miller, and other members of this pioneer family. The Curren cemetery, in the northern part of the township, is also another old burying ground.
The secret societies of Jackson represent nearly all the leading orders. Seely Creek Lodge, No. 641, I. O. O. F., was organized July 24, 1868, with twenty-two members. It meets at Daggetts, where it owns a commodious and well-furnished hall building, erected in 1876-77, at a cost of $2,000. This lodge now numbers fifty-six members. Jackson Encampment, No. 31, I. O. O. F., which meets in this hall, was organized December 11, 1895, with forty members. Mechanic’ Union, No. 254, E. A. U., which also meets in the same hall, was organized March 2, 1881, with twenty members. Millerton Lodge, No. 935, I. O. O. F., was organized March 18, 1876. It now numbers forty-two members and meets in Union Hall, Millerton. This hall was erected in 1895 by a stock company. Jackson Summit Lodge has recently been merged with this lodge, thus giving it increase of membership and of strength. Corp. Charles W. Deming Post, No. 476, G. A. R., and Corp. Charles W. Deming Corps, No. 102, W. R. C., also meet in Union Hall. The former was organized March 25, 1885, and has now fifty members. The latter was organized March 21, 1896, with sixteen members. Mitchell’s Mills Grange, No 912, P. of H., was organized January 31, 1890. It meets at Mitchell’s Mills. The hall owned by this society was originally the Alder Run Methodist Episcopal church building. After being purchased by the grange it was repaired and furnished , and now is one of the best grange halls in the county. The society numbers 224 members in good standing, and is prosperous. Job’s Corners Grange, No. 1110, P. of H., was organized May 29, 1894, in the fall of which year it erected a hall building at Job’s Corners, costing $1,200. It is a strong and prosperous society, having now about 100 members, embracing the representative farmers of that section of the county.
Villages and Post Offices.
Daggetts, originally known as Daggett’s Mills, and later as Spencerville, Dallasville, then again as Daggett’s Mills, and lastly as Daggetts, is the oldest village in the township. It grew around the saw-mills established on Seely creek near the village site. At one time it was a place of considerable importance and the largest village in the township. With the cessation of lumbering, due to the giving out of the timber supply, it lost much of its business prestige. The first post office in the township was established here nearly seventy years ago. Seth Daggett, the first postmaster, was succeeded in 1837 by Joshua G. Spencer. In 1841 Lewis Daggett was appointed. He held until 1843, when he removed to Tioga. His successors have been; Richmond Jones, Orrin B. Wells, John Joslyn, W. H. Ferguson, D. B. Lain, W. E. Compton, and D. H. Scott, who was appointed July 1, 1894.
A tavern was opened here in about 1834 by Joshua G. Spencer. Among his successors as landlords of this hostelry were Andrew Murdough, Albert Jones, S.S. Roberts, James Clinton, Jacob Corzett, A. Minear, Gates Bird, and others. The last landlord in the village, Samuel Reynolds, occupies the building erected as a hotel about thirty years ago. He is also the oldest inhabitant, being a son of Samuel S. Reynolds, a blacksmith, who settled there in 1823.
The first store was opened at Daggett’s Mills in 1834 by Richmond Jones. Among other early merchants were Hiram B. Roberts, who began business in 1836; Wells & Pierce, who opened a store about 1838; Daggett, Jones & Keyes, Jones & Keyes, and Seth S. Roberts. The present merchants are D. H. Scott, who is also postmaster, and H. F. Sweazey.
Millerton, first known as Hammond Creek, then as Millertown, and since 1878 as Millerton, is situated on Hammond creek, near the Bradford county line, and is the largest village in the township. The first settler here was Garret Miller, who came into the township in 1793.The village growth began about 1840, with the establishment of the first store by James Miller. In 1844 Hector L. Miller and Jesse B. Kinner were the merchants here. In 1857 Mathew Retan embarked in business, continuing until about 1867. The present merchants are Miller & Miller and Jesse B. Miller. A hotel was opened about 1848 by James Miller, who kept it until 1867. The present hotel building was erected in 1876 by Oliver Hamilton. W. W. Quackenbush, who has had a number of successors, was the first landlord.
The Millerton Advocate was established April 26, 1877, by A. C. Lumbard & Son. In October of the same year it was purchased by Harry T. Graves, who has since successfully conducted it. The Advocate is devoted to local matters, and receives a large advertising patronage from Elmira, New York.
A post office, called Hammond Creek, was established here in 1857. M. K. Retan, the first postmaster, held the office until 1867, when J. H. Miller, the present incumbent, was appointed. The name of the office was first changed to Millertown, and in 1878 to Millerton. The village is a station on the Tioga branch of the “Erie,” contains a church, a public school building, a public hall, two general stores, a drug store, a printing office, etc., and is the principal business point in the township.
Job’s Corners, situated on Seely creek, near the southeast corner of the township, was named for James Job, who settled there about 1832. James K. Burgess, the first merchant, opened a store there in 1853. N. W. Garrison was also an early merchant. The present merchant is G. A. Cornwall. Besides the store, the village contain a church, grange hall, blacksmith shop, etc. A post office was established here in July, 1887. John E. Westbrook, the first postmaster held the office until February 4, 1890, when he was succeeded by G. A. Cornwall, the present incumbent.
Mitchell’s Mills is the name of a small settlement on Alder Brook, which has grown up around the old Mitchell saw-mill, besides which it contains a church, a grange hall and a blacksmith shop.
Maple Ridge was the name of a post office, established about 1857, in the western part of the township. Isaac Spencer was the postmaster here for a number of years. The office was discontinued after building of the Tioga branch of the “Erie” through the township in 1876.
Jackson Center is situated south of the township. It contains a church building and a store. C. H. Johnson, the merchant, is also the postmaster. The post office, which is named Pipe Line, was established in 1894. The mail is conveyed overland from Trowbridge.
Trowbridge, near the center of the township, is the name of a railroad station and post office on the Tioga branch of the “Erie.” It was established shortly after the building of the railroad, and was named in honor of the late Henry Trowbridge, the first settler there, who gave the railroad company a site for a station and a right of way through his land. It is said to enjoy the distinction of being the only post office of the name in the United States. Mr. Trowbridge’s son, Henry O. Trowbridge, the first postmaster, held the office until August 22, 1895, when his brother, Lemuel A. Trowbridge, was appointed.
Jackson Summit, in the western part of the township, is the name of
a station and post office on the branch of the “Erie.” A post office was
established here in 1877. The postmasters have been H. J. Tobey, E. C.
Pedrick and Mrs. A. Heermans, who was appointed in July, 1889. This place
contains a church, school house, blacksmith shop, and two stores, the latter
kept by D. B. Lain and Mrs. A. Heermans.