Chapter 46 - Rutland Township.
Organization-Boundaries- Physical Features-Streams- Iron ore- Population-Early Settlers-Mills and other Enterprises-Schools-Physicians and Justices-Churches and Cemeteries- Roseville Borough
Rutland township was organized in February, 1828 and was taken from the townships of Sullivan and Jackson. It is bounded on the north by Jackson township and on the east by Bradford county, on the south by Sullivan and Richmond townships and on the west by Richmond and Tioga townships. The surface of the township is some what rougher than that of Sullivan, and there is a much larger amount of uncleared and untilled land, covered as a rule, with hard wood timber, the pine and hemlock, except on a few isolated tracts, having disappeared years ago. Mill Creek, the principal stream, rises in the edge of Bradford County and pursues a westerly course, a little south of the center of the township. The drainage from the north and from the south is toward this stream. Its principal branches on the north are North Creek, Bailey Creek and Hibbard Run. On the south the principal branch is Elk run and its tributaries. The township, as a whole may be classed as one of the upland townships of the county, hill summits rising to 1,800 feet above tidewater, the mean level being about 1,500 feet. Iron Ore of a fair quality is found in various parts of the township, that on the land of J. M, Hall, near Roseville, being the largest and best. During the time the furnace at Mansfield was in operation, quantities of this ore were hauled overland to it. For several years past Mr. Hall has utilized the ore in the manufacture of mineral paint, for sale and shipment. During the earlier years of the township’s history lumbering was the principal industry. Since the clearing away of the pine and hemlock timber, the people have devoted themselves to the cultivation of the soil, and are fast making the township one of the leading farming townships of the county. The township has grown healthfully since its organization. In 1840 it contained 692 inhabitants; in 1870,-1,157; in 1880, including Roseville borough, 1,249,and in 1890,-1,071.
One of the very earliest settlers of the township was William Rose, who came from Rutland county, Vermont, in 1806, and settled on the site of Roseville. In 1808 Jesse Smith came from Delaware county, New York, and settled in what is known as "Smith Hollow." In 1812 there were also residing in the township the following named taxables: John Benson, who settled on the Bradford county line; Ebenezer and W. D. Bacon, on the farm afterwards owned by George T. Longwell; Richard, Judah and Noah Gifford, near Roseville, on Brier Hill, and Cornelius and Andrew Sharp, just east of Roseville, on what was afterwards known as the John Hall place. Solomon Goff came in 1815 and settled north of Roseville. The first assessment after the organization of the township was taken in 1829.It showed the following taxables: Steward Austin ,Who lived near the Van Ness school house; John Argetsinger, one mile southeast of Roseville; Isaac Benson, at the mouth of Painter run; Ephraim Bryant, Bethuel Bentley on Mill Creek, below Roseville; Halsey Burton, at Burton’s Corners, southeast of Roseville; Jacob Benson, on Pumpkin Hill; Caleb and Silas Burrell, west of Roseville; Sylvester Benson, in the Oldroyd neighborhood; Johnson Brewer, three miles northeast of Roseville; Peter Backer, at Roseville; W. D. Bacon, in the southern part of the township; Sylvanus Benson, on Mill Creek, above Roseville; William M. and Jabez Coxey, near Roseville; David and Asa Crippen, two miles south of Roseville, on Brier Hill; Sydney, Cornelius, Samuel and Joseph Clark, at Burton’s Corners; Harris Corey, two miles east of Roseville; John Crippen, south of Roseville; James Dann and James Dann, Jr., on Brier Hill; John B. Dann near Roseville; Nathan Gifford, on Brier Hill; Nathan Goodwin, on Mill Creek, four miles below Roseville, at " Patchogue ;" Gardner Gould on Pumpkin Hill; Justus Garretson in the northeastern part of the township; Hosea, William W. and John R Howland, southeast of Roseville; Baldwin Hazwell on Mill Creek, below Roseville; David Huntley, in the eastern part of the township; Calvin W. Handmer, on the John Hall farm; Benjamin Lawrence, at Lawrence’s Corners; Nathan and Sylvester Newberry, on Pumpkin Hill; Lucinda Newberry on the Hugh Argetsinger farm; Elisha Nash in the southern part of the township; Levi Osgood, in the northeastern part of the township; Richard Pemberton, a mile below Roseville; David Prutsman in the north eastern part of the township; Erastus and Levi Rose , in Roseville; Virgil Rose, at Burton’s Corners; Samuel, D. B. and John Reynolds, in the southern part of the township; Isaac and I.S. Smith, in Smith Hollow; Jefferson Sherman, near Roseville; Robert Searles, on Pumpkin Hill; John Snyder, on the Patrick Longwell place above Roseville; Silas Smith, near Smith’s Hollow; John, Tunis and Albert Slingerland, near the center of the township; Ira and Daniel Walters, William, John, Henry and Abram Updyke and Jonathan and Solomon Wood, on Pumpkin Hill, and James Rosell, near Jobs Corners. Of the foregoing, a few remained in the but a short time. Some moved into Sullivan, Ward and other townships, while others became pioneers in the new states farther west. The majority, however, cleared the lands settled upon, and spent the remainder of their of their lives in the township. In many instances the original homesteads are occupied by their descendants.
Mills and other Enterprises
In 1822 or 1823 William Rose erected a distillery at Roseville, which he operated eight or ten years. In 1825 Sylvanus Benson, Hosea Howland and Barrett Clark, each had one -third interest in a saw- mill on Mill Creek, in the eastern part of the township. About 1836 Sylvester Bailey, erected a saw-mill on Elk run near the Sullivan township line. This he operated until his death about 1852. In This, as in other townships, mills were rapidly established after 1835, and changes of ownership were frequent. Sites for mills were selected on Mill creek, both above and below Roseville, and also on Elk run in the western part of the township. The later mills were usually operated by steam. For the past ten or fifteen years portable steam-mills have for the most part replaced the stationary mills. The timber supply, while not abundant, is yet sufficient to permit the cutting of a few million feet each year. Among the more prominent of the early mill owners and lumbermen were Bethuel Bentley, Frederick Cruttenden, Josephus Clark, William Killgore, Ebenezer Dunning, Charles Clayton, Josiah Brown, E.W., W. and Royal Rose, Timothy and Nelson Brace, Alfred McClure, Peter Sechrist, Daggett & Sixbee, Isaac L. Wells, Rodney R. Niles and others. Among the mill owners of more recent years were: A.M. Moorehouse, Frank G. Hall, Edgar M. Brace and Burton Schrader. A grist mill was erected in the early thirties on Mill Creek, a short distance above Roseville. It was operated for a few years by Rufus Daggett and Lyman Gibson; then by Lyman, Allen and William Gibson; from 1838 to 1840 by Allen Gibson; in 1841-42 by Samuel C. Gibson; then for two years by Charles I. & E. Brown. Then followed a number of changes of ownership until 1868, when the property passed into the hands of O. C. & B. Schrader. In 1871 O. C. Schrader became owner. In 1873 Burton Schrader acquired the property, adding a saw-mill in 1880. In 1894 the property passed into the possession of Ross & Williams, of Mansfield, and is now owned by Charles S. Ross of that place. In 1863 Myron Mills erected a tannery in Roseville, which he operated for several years, when the enterprise was discontinued. A mill for the purpose of converting iron ore into mineral paint has been operated for several years past by J. M. Hall, just east of Roseville borough. Mr. Hall has a large deposit of iron ore on his place.
The first school was established in the township before 1830,on Mill Creek. Like all early schools, it was a log building and was supported by subscription. Early schools were also established at Roseville and in the Bentley neighborhood. After the adoption of the public school system, the township was divided into districts. At the present time there are twelve schools in the township and one in Roseville borough. The average number of months taught, is six in the township and seven in the borough.
Physicians and Justices
Dr. Ezra Wood began practice in the township as early as 1822 and continued until his death in 1829. Francis H. White began practice in 1832. About 1837 he moved from the township, returning, however and resuming his practice in 1850. He continued in the active duties of his profession to within a few years of his death. He died in 1885, having attained the remarkable age of 106 years. Sanford Roblyer, Dr. Harrison, Abel Humphrey and Ralph Shepard practiced in the township from 1838 to 1840; David S. Roblyer, from 1841to 1843; Orson Gregory, 1843 and 1844, and D. N. Hunt, 1844 to 1846. Joel Rose began practice in 1846 and continued for over twenty years. Dr. John M. Barden, a son of Dr. William M. Barden, the pioneer homeopathic physician of the county was admitted to practice in 1862, and located in Roseville. Here he continued to practiced until 1881, when he removed to Mansfield, returning to Roseville in 1895. In 1875 Dr. Benjamin Moody located in Roseville, and practiced there until 1877,when he moved to Mansfield. In 1882, O. S. Nye, one of the present resident physicians, began to practice in Roseville.
The following named persons have served as justices of the peace since the organization of the township: Joseph Clark, 1835; Clark Stilwell, 1835; Jefferson Sherman, 1840; John W. Frost, 1840; Erastus Rose, 1843;re-elected, 1850;1855; Bethuel Bentley, 1845;Charles Sherman,1848; Schuyler Horton, 1853; re-elected 1858; Daniel Watson, 1860; re-elected, 1865, 1870, 1875; Henry Oldroyd, 1863; re-elected, 1868; J.D. Longwell, 1873; Jefferson Prutsman, 1876; re-elected 1881, 1886, 1891; D.S. Horton, 1876; Reynolds Sixbee, 1881; re-elected 1886; David Conable, 1891;George Tanner, 1893; and G. J. Cook, 1897.
Churches and Cemeteries.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of North Sullivan and South Rutland was organized in 1841, and is familiarly known as the Mansfield church. A church building was erected in 1842, and the society incorporated. Among those who have served as pastors of this church were Revs. Ira Smith, Joseph Pearsall, Charles L Brown, Mr. Wallace, Mr. Black, Charles Wright, Jonas Dodge, J. K. Tuthill, S. Alden, Enoch H. Cranmer, William Hosmer, .R. L. Stilwell, John P. Kent, Elisha Sweet; C.
L. F. Howe, Nathan S. Clark, M. H. Shurtleff, Amos Mansfield, George Wilkinson, Isaac Everett, S. G. Rhinevault, Charles M. Adams, J. O. Benham, A. D. Edgar, E. D. Rose, E. J. Hermans, D. W. C. Huntington, C C. Wilbur, M. S. Kymer J. H. Ross, Wesley Cochran, M. T. Wheeler, Paul Smith, Mr. Briggs, A. S. Darling, John Vankirk, S. A. Chubbuck, C. B. Rowley, E. D. Rawson, G. W. Moxey, R. E. Ballard, H. D. Barber, George Warburton, Paul Smith, M. E. Rockwell. Edward Riley, Charles Hillman, and J. C. Crowther, the present pastor who took charge in October, 1894.
The Second Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1860 with ten members, and a church erected in 1865, at Lawrence’s Corners, near Mill Creek, below Roseville. This church has had the same pastors as the " Mansfield Church."
The Third Methodist Episcopal Church of Rutland is the church at Roseville . It was incorporated in 1870 and a building erected, which was destroyed in the fire of July 8, 1890. A new building and a parsonage have since been erected. This church has been served by the same pastors as the " Mansfield Church."
Bailey Creek Baptist Church was organized April 13, 1859, with nineteen members, as follows: Rev Benjamin Oviatt, Timothy Brace, Temperance Brace, R. Brace, D. Havens, Julia A. Longwell, Henrietta Kingsley, G. W. Kingsley, Freeman Harris, Mrs. F. Harris, F. Ingersoll, I. Rickey, Anna Rickey, Nelson Brace, Aaron Squires, and wife, and Benjamin Fralic and wife. The following named persons have served the church as pastors: Rev. Benjamin Oviatt, 1859; Samuel Grinnell, 1860; J. Gray, 1861-1862; M. Rockwell, 1864-67; G. P. Watrous, 1870-72; C. H. Crowl, 1873-74; M. Rockwell,1875-76; C. P. Mott, 1877; M. Rockwell, 1878-80; Samuel Early, 1881-83; C. B. Smith, 1884; R. D. Hays, 1885-86; S. D. Merrick, 1887; J. A. Klucker, 1889;G. P. Watrous, 1891; C. H. Crowl, 1892-93; L. L. Grover, 1894; This church now numbers forty - five members. A church building was erected on Elk Run, a short distance above its junction with Mill Creek in 1871, at a cost of $2,280, and a hall and sheds costing $600 added in 1882. There are fifty-six pupils and teachers in the Sunday-School, of which N. C. Brace is superintendent.
The Rutland Baptist Church was organized in Roseville, August 20, 1872, with fourteen members as follows: John M. Barden, Hannah H. Barden, Myron Mills, Mary J. Mills, D. W. Havens, Mrs. Louisa Havens, Leroy D. Pierce, Mrs. S. M. Pierce, Mrs. Polly Wood, Philander D. Rockwell, William Worden, Mrs. Caroline Worden, Mrs. Mary Baker and Mrs. Louisa Soper. Rev. R. Corbett the first pastor , served during 1872. His successors have been as follows: Revs. C. W. Crowl,1873-74; F. Purvis, 1875; M. Rockwell, 1876-83; C. B. Smith,1884; R. D Hays 1885-87; Franklin Pierce, 1888; J. A. Klucker, 1889; G. P. Watrous 1891-92;C. H. Crowl, 1893-95; and S. G. Brundage, who took charge in March, 1896. A neat and attractive church building, costing $2,000, was dedicated December 10, 1873.The church now has forty- eight members. In the Sunday-School of which Joel Clark is the superintendent are fifty-five pupils and teachers. Both church and school are constantly growing. Cemeteries and neighborhood burying grounds are to be found in various parts of the township. The old burying ground at Roseville is on a knoll on Mill Creek. The newer cemetery, near the Baptist church, is regularly laid out and well cared for. In the southeastern part of the township, near the Sherman school, is another old burying ground. In the Bentley graveyard, below Roseville, is found a modest tombstone, bearing the following inscription:
A soldier of the Revolution.
Born in Connecticut in 1761.
Died in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, May 19, 1839
This stone was erected to his memory by J. M. Wattles, of Bradford county, as a mark of filial affection and gratitude.
Mr. Wattles was an early settler in the township, in which he resided for several years previous to his death.
Roseville is situated on Mill creek, a short distance east and south of the center of the township. It was named in honor of William Rose, who settled on its site in 1806. and who was for many years its leading citizen. It is one of the smaller boroughs of the county, and is a purely rural village, being in the midst of a good agricultural section. The first tavern keeper was William Rose Jr., who began business in a little house that stood on the vacant lot south of the Longwell residence. A building was afterwards erected on the site of the present Roseville Hotel. About 1850 William Rose Jr., was succeeded by Royal Rose, who continued in business until his death in November, 1865. He was succeeded by D. W. Hibbard, who kept the house for a number of years. He had a number of successors. The hotel was destroyed by fire in July, 1890, being then the property of F. C. Avery. It was rebuilt and is now run by him. The Backer House was erected about 1849 by Peter Backer. He kept it for a number of years. It has had numerous landlords. It is not now run as a hotel.
A post office , called Rutland ,was established in the township in 1828. Bethuel Bentley was the first postmaster and kept the office in his dwelling, about a mile and a half below Roseville, on Mill creek. He held the office until 1840, when William Rose Jr., was appointed and the office permanently located at Roseville. The succeeding postmasters have been Royal Rose, H. B. Hibbard, E. R. Backer, appointed in 1866; C. B. Hanyen, appointed in 1881; Daniel Watson appointed in 1885;E. E. Wood, appointed in 1889, and J. F. Wilcox, appointed June 17, 1893. The office was made a money - order office April 7, 1892.
A store was opened in Roseville about 1837, Royal Rose, who continued in business until 1852, when the enterprise was conducted for two years by E. and R. Rose and A. Hall. J. B. and P.S. Drake were merchants in 1852,and Byron Clark in 1853. Strait & Austin began business, as merchants, in 1860, and were succeeded in 1863 by Charles L. Strait, who continued in business over twenty years. In 1867 Capt. E. R. Backer embarked in business and was succeeded in 1874 by Myron Mills. About 1881 Mr. Mills removed to Mansfield. The present merchants are C. B. Hanyen, who had been in business in Roseville since 1881, and H. L. Blood, who began business in 1886.Roseville was incorporated as a borough February 3, 1876,the first officers being as follows: S. S. Johns, burgess; G. W. Sherman, Myron Mills, L. C. Benson, C. L. Strait, John M. Barden and Daniel Watson, councilmen; Daniel Watson and J. D. Longwell, Justices of the peace; Josephus Stout, constable; D. W. Hibbard, street commissioner, and Warren Rose, assessor. The office of burgess has since been held by the following- named persons: S. S. Johns, 1877; L. D. Pierce, 1879; E. Crapser,1880-81; Alanson Rose, 1882; S. Rose 1883; O. B. Burlew, 1884; John Teneyck, 1885; H. H. Van Ockin,1886;Alexander Rose, 1887; G. W. Soper, 1888; A. C. Young, 1888-89;John Teneyck, 1890; O. S. Nye, 1891-92; L. Rose, 1893; H. H, Van Ockin, 1894; J. D. Longwell, 1895; Frank Argetsinger, 1896, and J. F. Wilcox, 1897.
The justice of Roseville have been as follows: J.D. Longwell, 1878; Daniel Watson, 1880; Charles W. Kelley, 1883; re-elected in 1888 and 1893; . B. Hanyen, 1885; re-elected in 1890; and Josephus Stout, 1895.
The first secret society in Roseville was Adelphic Lodge, No. 268, I. O. O. F., originally organized in Tioga, October 8, 1847, and removed to Roseville April 2,1857, where it flourished and became the parent of Seely Creek Lodge, at Daggetts, and of the lodges at Austinville and Aspinwall, in Bradford county. The hall building of this lodge destroyed in the fire of July 8, 1890, soon after which the charter was surrendered and it passed out of existence. The existing societies in Roseville are Capt. E. R. Backer Post, No. 616, G, A. R., organized September 6, 1892, and which has now twenty- three members; and Rutland Tent No. 87, K. O. T. M., which was organized September 30, 1895. It now numbers seventeen members.
July 8, 1890, the borough was visited by a destructive fire, which swept
out of existence twenty- three building, including one hotel, the Methodist
church, C. B. Hanyen’s store, and a number of private residences and barns.
The loss in property exceeded $50,000. The church and the hotel and a number
of the residences, including the Methodist parsonage, have since been rebuilt.
The borough now contains a post office, a hotel, two general stores, Two
churches, a public school building, two blacksmith shops, etc.