|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 email@example.com|
From Right, a sliver of the Church of Christ, Rose Store, and Grange on South Side of (Now Rte. 6) street looking east.
Chapter 47 - Sullivan Township
Organization--Original Area and Present Boundaries-- Soil and Products--Streams--Deprivation of Name--Population--Early Settlers--Business Enterprises--Schools--Physicians and Justices--Churches--Cemeteries--Secret Societies--Borough of Mainesburg--Villages and Post offices.
Sullivan Township was organized in February, 1816 and was taken from Covington township. It embraced within its original boundaries the larger part of the township of Rutland, and all of the townships of Union and Ward. As at present constituted it an area averaging six and a half miles from east to west, by seven miles from north and south and contains about forty-five square miles. It is bounded on the north by Rutland township; east by Bradford county; south by Ward township, and west by Covington and Richmond townships. The mean elevation above tidewater is about 1,400 feet. The general surface, except along the southern border, is undulating. The soil is productive and well adapted to the cereal grains, meadow grasses, orchard fruits and tobacco. In proportion to its area, Sullivan township is the richest and best agricultural township in the county. Very little of its land is uncultivated, and its farmers are thrifty, prosperous and progressive. It is well watered, and its creek valleys are the sites of some of the finest farms in the township. Elk Run rises near the southeast corner and flows northwest through the central part of the township, receiving a number of smaller branches. Corey creek rises south of the center of the township, and pursues a northwest course to Mainesburg, west of which it passes into Richmond township. Canoe Camp creek pursues a westward course through the southwestern part of the township. Among the early settlers were a number of Revolutionary soldiers, who had seen service under Gen. John Sullivan, who in the summer of 1779, led an expedition against Indians in the Genesee valley. When the township was organized, these early settlers named it " Sullivan," in honor of their old commander. Its growth in population and wealth has been steady and progressive. In 1840 it led in population, having 1,378 inhabitants. In 1870 it had 1,637 inhabitants; in 1880, 1,345, and in 1890, 1,211. The decrease in population, during recent years, has been due to the suspension of lumbering operations, owing to the exhaustion of the timber supply. Sullivan is now a strictly agricultural township, and as such is rich and prosperous.
The settlement of the township began about 1803, in which year Samuel Reynolds came from Vermont and settled on the farm until recently occupied by his son, the late Thomas Reynolds, on the State road. David Palmer, a native of Oneida county, New York, settled in the eastern part of the township, where he and his brother Stephen pre-empted and purchased nearly 1,000 acres of land, the greater portion of which is still owned by their descendants. His brother Stephen Palmer came later and settled beside him. James Gray who came in 1805 from Otsego county, New York, settled in the Northeastern part of the township, in what has seen know as Gray’s Valley. He was a Revolutionary soldier and served seven years in the Continental army, and was discharged with the rank of captain. Noah Rumsey Sr. came from Vermont in 1807 and settled on the site of Mainesburg. A few years later he sold out to Jonathan L. Spencer, and located on Rumsey Hill, as did also his brothers, Smith and Jeremiah Rumsey, each of whom left numerous descendants in Sullivan township. Russell Rose, an officer in the Revolution, on Washington’s staff, came from Connecticut in 1807,ans settled in the northeast corner of what is now Ward township. A few years later he removed to Sullivan township and located on the State Road, about half a mile west of the State Road Baptist Church. A number of his descendants still reside in this neighborhood. Mrs. Rebecca Packard, a daughter of Russell Rose, and for many years past a resident of Covington township, was born in Norfolk township, Litchfield county, Connecticut, October, 1896. Notwithstanding her great age, she is still bright and active.
After the opening up of the State road through the township in 1808, settlers began to flock in. It has been difficult to ascertain the exact year of the coming of each one, and resort has been had to the assessment list of 1812 to determine who were the tax-paying residents of the township in that year. It is safe to assume that nearly all of those whose names appear on that list were here as early as 1810, and some a year or two earlier. In addition to those already given, following names appear: Isaac Baker, who settled in" Gray’s Valley;" Simeon Briggs on the State road; Griffin and Constant Bailey at Chandlerburg; Paul and Apollos Cudworth, on Rumsey Hill; Peleg Doud, southeast of Mainesburg; Aaron Gitchell and Eli Gitchell, a Baptist preacher and Levi Gitchell , on Rumsey Hill; Allen Lane and Benjamin and Henry Lawrence in the eastern part of the township; William Ludington, on the Isaac Squire farm; Ira Mudge on the State Road; Hanover Pitts near the Richmond township line. Jesse Orvis, on the State Road; Thomas Rexford and Gardner Seaman in the eastern part of the township; Jesse Smith near the Rutland township line, and Elijah and Nathaniel Welch, on the State road, in the eastern part of the township. The following additional names appear on the assessment list of 1817, the first assessment made after the township was organized: John Andrews, Ananias Baker, Simeon Briggs, Jr.; Thomas R. Corey, who settled on the State road; James Cudworth, who settled in the western and David Crippen, who settled in the north eastern part of the township; Jacob Collins, who settled near Mainesburg; Josiah Dewey, who came in 1813, and settled on the State road; John Ellis, who came in 1815, and settled in Mainesburg; David Fellows, who also settled in the Mainesburg neighborhood. John and Silas Gray, David Jones, Timothy Knowlton, who settled in the southwestern part of the township; John King who settled in the eastern part of the township; Allen Lane, Jr., Lemuel Lane, John Ludington, Reuben Merritt, Joseph and Timothy Orvis, Jonathan Partridge, who settled below Chandlerburg; Clement and David Paine , Smith Rumsey, Elisha Rush, John Simpkins, Lyman Spencer, Nathan Welch, Jr., Roswell and Abial Webster, Zebedee Woodward, Noah West, Joan Watson, Ephraim S. Marsh, Joseph Ford, Lyman Rumsey, Samuel Hardin, Robert Potter, Daniel James, Levi Fox and Isaac Benson.
A grist- mill was erected in Mainesburg about 1809, Noah Rumsey, Sr. Two or three years later he sold it to Jonathan L. Spencer. In 1824 he sold his lands and mill and other personal property to John Maine, a pioneer in Lawrence township, who also bought the lands and personal property of Lyman Spencer. Mr. Maine operated the mill until 1841, when he sold it to Solon Richards, Who ran it a number of years, and sold it to R. K. Brundage, and he in turn to Philemon Doud, who torn down the old mill and erected a steam mill on it site. N. E. Calkins succeeded Doud as owner of the property, which finally passed into the hands of Hiram Horton, who leased it to Aaron Austin. On April 17, 1894, the mill was destroyed by fire and has not been rebuilt. In 1831 Sylvester Bailey erected a water-power grist-mill in Bailey Hollow, near Chandlerburg. About 1840 he sold it to Moses Crawford, who operated it for a number of years. It shut down about twenty years ago, O.W. Palmer being the owner at the time. In 1819 John Gray erected a saw-mill at Gray’s Valley, on Elk Run. He operated it until 1832. It had a number of owners. In 1838 Albert Dewey erected a saw-mill in the eastern part of the township, which he and George Dewey operated for a number of years. William Young, another early mill owner, built a mill about 1832 below Mainesburg, on Corey creek, near the Richmond township line. In 1844 Valorus O. Spencer erected a mill above Mainesburg. Other early mill owners and lumbermen were: Steven Palmer, who ran a mill in the eastern part of the township; Peleg Doud, who erected one on the South Fork of Cory creek, on what is now the George Ross farm, and Sylvester Bailey, who erected one in Bailey Hollow. All these mills were run by water power, the flutter-wheel being the one generally used. They have passed out of existence, except the mill near the State road, now operated by Edward Dewey.
In 1820 Lyman and Orange Spencer were operating a distillery near Mainesburg. It afterwards became the property of John Maine, who ran it a few years, and then discontinued the business. In 1828 John Packard erected a tannery in Mainesburg. It was afterwards moved over the hill, north of the village. He conducted it until his death in 1842, when it shut down. In 1832Solon Richards established a woolen factory in Mainesburg, which he sold in 1838 to Philemon Doud. It was discontinued about 1845. J.B. Strong erected a wagon shop in Mainesburg in the early fifties.(1850) It was afterwards carried on by Lorenzo Doud. It is over thirty years since it ceased operation. The building was afterward transformed into a skating rink and is now used as a public hall.
The existing manufacturing enterprises are the Mainesburg Co-operative Creamery Company; the East Sullivan Co-operative Creamery Company, whose creamery is located in Gray’s Valley, and the West Sullivan Co-operative Creamery Company, whose creamery is located on the Mansfield and Roseville road near the Richmond township line. These creameries have all been established since 1890. During the season they manufacture about 350 pounds of butter a day each. The patrons pay three cents a pound for churning and receive back the skim milk. A cheese factory, on the S. K. Longwell place, is not now in operation.
The first store in the township was started in 1816 by John Gray, in Gray’s Valley. A few years later Timothy and Joseph Orvis , opened a store on King’s Hill , south of the State Road. Both these stores were carried on in log buildings. Some time after this Alvin Ames opened a store in a frame building on Ames Hill. In 1832 John M. Fox opened the first store in Mainesburg. He was afterwards associated in business with A. C. Witter, the firm being Fox & Witter. Mr. Fox was in business about forty years. Among the later merchants were John Robinson, P. W. Doud, E. A. Fish, L. D. Rumsey and William Strong. There are now two general stores in Mainesburg, one conducted by J. W. Dewitt & Son, and the other by J. N. Strange. In 1851 Northrup Smith and H.L. Roblyer opened a store in Chandlerburg. Mr. Roblyer retired in 1857, and Mr. Smith carried on the business for a number of years afterward, Thomas Wood opened a grocery store here and carried it on for six or eight years. October 1, 1888, S. L. Wood opened a general store which he still carries on. It is now the only store in the place. Soon after embarking in business in Mainesburg, John M. Fox opened a hotel in a building still standing, east of the Grange Hall. Here he kept the hotel for more than twenty years. In 1847 Leander D. Rumsey Built the house now known as " Hotel Thayer." He was succeeded as land lord by J. B. Strong. Daniel James kept here during the war, his successors being Peleg Doud and R. K. Brundage. O. B. Thayer, the present landlord, purchased the property in 1886. The Mainesburg House has been kept for a number of years by A. M. Haight. It was erected for a private residence.
The first school house in the township was a log structure, erected near Allen Lane’s. It was a subscription, as were all the early schools of the county. Another early school, known as the Divan school was erected in Gray’s Valley. The Ramsdale and Rumsey Hill school houses were all built during the subscription school period. As the township became settled other schools were started. After the adoption of the common law in 1835, regular school districts were formed, which were sub-divided as population increased. The first school house in Mainesburg was on the site of the building now occupied as an office by Dr. J. A. Knipple. In 1896 there were fifteen schools in the township, and one in Mainesburg, in which seventeen teachers were employed. The schools are well sustained, good teachers are employed and fair salaries paid.
Physicians and Justices
About 1830 Dr. Dexter Parkhurst, who had previously practiced in Mansfield, located in Mainesburg, where he continued to practice until his death in 1866. Harry Lyman located in Mainesburg about the same time, but made a brief stay. Levi Rose began practice about 1835 and continued for a number of years. David A. Roblyer began practice about 1845 and continued until about 1850. Dr. George D. Maine, a son of John Maine, graduated from the medical department of the University of Buffalo in 1856, and a year later located in Mainesburg, where he has continued to practice to the present time. Leonard J. Bradford, a native of the township, graduated from Penn Medical College in 1865, practiced two years at Austinville, and in 1867 located near Sullivan post office, where he has continued to practice until the present time. Dr. John A. Knipple, a graduate of Parish Medical College, has practiced in Mainesburg since 1893.
The following-named persons have served as Justices of the Peace since the township was organized: Eli Gitchell, 1819; John Cochran, 1822; Ebenezer Ripley, 1822; John Marvin, 1825; re-elected, 1835; John Gray, 1825; Ephraim B. Gerould, 1826; James C. Turner, 1828; Thomas Dyer, 1828; Thomas Putnam, 1828; John Shaffer, 1829; Rufus Smith, 1831; Daniel N. Hunt, 1832; Lanson Miller, 1834; Solon Richards, 1835;
William Hill,1835;Alfred Ripley,1836; re-elected 1840; Evan Harris, 1837; Edwin Dyer, 1838; Isaac Drake, 1838; Philemon Doud, 1840; Leander D. Rumsey, 1841; Calvin C. Green, 1845; James Gray, 1845; Isaac S. Rumsey, 1848; re-elected, 1853; Thomas Reynolds, 1850; Henry B. Card, 1855; re-elected 1860; E. A. Fish, 1858; Isaac Squire, 1860;re-elected , 1872,1877,1882; Northrup Smith, 1862; re-elected 1867,1887,1892; N.A. Taylor, 1865; re-elected 1870; B.I. Rew, 1873; Nathan Smith, 1878; Charles Strange, 1882; re-elected, 1888; W. J. Squire and Loren Dodge, 1893.
The Old School Baptist Church of Sullivan was organized about the year 1816, at the residence of Peleg Doud, near Mainesburg. The first minister of this denomination to preach in the township was Rev. Mr. Power. He was soon joined by Rev. Nehemiah Hobart Ripley, who came into the county in 1815, and settled in Richmond township, and their efforts resulted in the organization of a church. Meetings were held in dwellings and school houses. A great many of the early settlers were members of this church, which maintained its organization for a number of years. Owing to deaths, removals, and the absorption of its membership by the regular Baptist churches of East Sullivan, and the State road, it became too weak to maintain itself and passed out of existence. Among the ministers who preached to this church was Rev. Eli Gitchell, an early settler on Rumsey Hill.
The Free Will Baptist Church of Sullivan was the outgrowth of meetings begun in the autumn of 1830, in the Rumsey Hill school house, by Rev. James H. Lamphere, who organized a church in the following spring. On April 3, 1866, the society was incorporated. During recent years it maintained no regular pastor.
The East Sullivan Baptist Church was organized May18, 1836. In June 1835, the first regular appointments for Baptist preaching were made by Samuel Bullock, of Bradford county, assisted by Elder Elisha Rich. In October following, those who had attended these services organized themselves into a body, called the Sullivan Baptist Christian Conference. May 18, 1836, a council met and formally organized the church, with a membership of twenty-seven persons, as follows: P. Baker, Samuel Bullock, A. Crandall, John Ludington, Peleg Doud, R. Webster, H. Austin, Philemon Doud, James Gray, Jr., William Squire, Noah O. Gray, Aurilla Baker, Lucinda Reynolds, Elizabeth Bullock, Sarah Crandall, Eunice Ludington, Betsy Webster, Louisa Doud, L. Webster, Louisa Squire Mary Hill, Sally Burman, Almira Hill, Caroline Chapman, Isabella Gray, Lucy Reynolds and Louisa Gray. Rev. Elisha Rich was the first pastor. His successors were Revs. Packer, D. M. Root, Myron Rockwell, J. P. Burnam, S. Grinnell,1851;C. Beebe, 1852-56; S. Grinnell,1857-59; M. Rockwell, 1860-63; G. P. Watrus,1865; C. A. Stone,1867; no pastor, 1868 to 1872; M. Rockwell, 1872;F. Purvis,1875. After 1875 the church had no pastor and in 1888 it became extinct. The church at Mansfield, organized April 10, 1840, was a branch of this society, as was also the Sullivan State Road Baptist church, organized in June, 1856. A branch of this church was also organized at the Van Ness school house, in Rutland township, December 14, 1839. A Sunday-School was organized about 1843 and regularly sustained until 1870. The first church edifice in the township was erected by this society in 1842. In May, 1855, the church numbered 111 members. The last baptism occurred in August, 1867.
The Sullivan State Road Baptist Church was organized July 8, 1856, in L. L. Smith’s barn. The preliminary steps were taken at a conference which met at the Ramsdale school house May 3, 1856, and which was presided over by Rev. C. Beebe, moderator. Upon the formal organization of the church the following named persons became members: J.Fletcher, D. D. Miller, Betsy Rumsey, A. Hart, R. B. Rose, O. D. Rumsey, D. Fletcher, Mary E. Miller, Cornish Mudge, Daniel Rose, M. V. Mudge, F. S. Morgan, Floyd Ashley, E. S. Rose, Allen Webster, L. A. Rose, Adeline Smith, T. C. Webster, Sarah Fletcher, Clarissa A. Rose, W. L. Miller, G. W. Doud, S.S. Webster, Anna C. Miller, L. A Rockwell, N. N. Rumsey, Betsy Morgan, Susannah Welch, Christiana Ayers, L. Jane Ashley, Jane E. Rose, Oliver Rumsey, Alonzo S. Chapel and E. J. Lewis. Rev. C. Beebe, the first pastor, served during 1856. His successors have been as follows: Revs. S. Grinnell, 1857; M. Rockwell, 1858-63; G. P. Watrous, 1865-68; M. Rockwell,1870-72; J. A. Baskwell, 1873; M. Rockwell, 1875; Henry Bray, 1876-77; Ross Ward, 1878-80; Samuel Early, 1881; S. F. Mathews, 1882;A. Tilden,1883-85; E. J. Lewis, 1886; A.J. Adams, 1887; G. H. Trapp, 1889-90;B. T. Davies, 1891, and J. A. James, the present pastor, who took charge in May,1893. In 1857 the society erected a frame church building on the south side of the State road, two miles and a half southeast of Mainesburg. This has since been repaired as needed. The church has 164 members. There are seventy pupils and teachers in the Sunday School, of which E. B. Roberts of Mainesburg is the superintendent. This is one of the strong and prosperous churches of the county.
The Methodist Episcopal Church of Mainesburg was organized in 1841, and incorporated June 14, 1842, the first trustees being Solon Richards, John Fox, Lyman Reynolds, James A. Fellows, Ebenezer Burley, Joshua Smith and James Pitts. As early as 1808, Rev. Joseph Mitchell, a Methodist Episcopal minister, while on a visit to his brother, Ensign Mitchell, preached at his home. He afterwards preached at the log school house near Allen Lane’s known as Dewey school house. About 1810 Capt. Thomas Lewis, an exhorter of the same church, commenced holding meetings in the Diven school house. These he kept up for several years. His efforts were followed by those of Rev. Mr. Warner, who organized a Methodist Episcopal class. The church was organized in 1841, after a great revival conducted by Revs. Robert T. Hancock and Charles L. Brown. The new church was placed in the Troy charge, remaining until 1854, and was served by the following ministers: J. Dodge, 1843: Charles Wright, 1844; M. Carlton, 1845; Ira Smith, 1846; William Hosmer, 1847; Nathan Fellows, 1848;A.C. Huntley, 1849-50; E. Sweet, 1851; M. H. Shurtleff,1852;and C. Nash and E.S. Rosa, 1853.In 1854 Troy circuit was divided and the Mainesburg appointments also included the State road, Sylvania and Rutland churches. The pastors of the Mainesburg church have been Revs. F. Kent, 1854-55; Daniel Clark, 1855-57; John Powell, 1857-58; James H. Ross, 1858-60;P. T. Christian, 1860-61; E. Colson, 1861-63; R. Mackwood, 1863-66; C.L.F. Howe, 1866-68;S. G. Rhinevault, 1868-71; Isaac Everitt, 1871-74;D.E. Blaine, 1874-76; Harvey Lamkin, 1876-79; E.E. Morris, 1879-82; J. L. King, 1882-85; George Fosbinder,1885-86; T.H. King, 1886-88; C.M. Adams, 1888-91; F. M. Warner, 1891-93;H.B. Troxel,1893-94; H.E.Hineman, 1894-95; H.E. Hyde,1895-97. In 1842 a neat frame building was erected as a house of worship, It was used until 1875 when the present church was built. It is of brick, with stained glass windows, slated roof, a fine tower and spire, and cost, with interior furnishing,$13,000. It is one of the finest churches in the county.
The State Road Methodist Episcopal Class, as at present organized, is a revival of a class organized about fifty years ago. In 1860 the membership was as follows: Thomas Reynolds, leader; Mary Reynolds, Anson Palmer, Gardner Hagar, Lydia E. Hagar, VanBuren Reynolds, Celestia Reynolds, George Fletcher, John D. Rumsey, Valvasa A. Rumsey, Deborah Ramsdale, Ellen Smith, Amanda Welch, Margaretta Orvis, Almeda Welch, Rosina Smith, Riley Fletcher, Alfred Wheeler, Adaline Wheeler, Isaac W. Smith, Loreta Smith, Lyman Soper, Nancy Soper, Moses Soper, Ann Soper, Levi M. Rumsey, Sophia Rumsey, Almeda Fletcher, Louisa Rumsey, Easton Beardsley, Louisa Palmer, Fanny Smith, Rachel Gafford, Eliza Orvis, Lovisa S. Lewis, Charity Baldwin, John E. Hart and James Lyon. This class first met in the Ramsdale school house. In 1861 the place of meeting was changed to the Union church, then recently erected. After maintaining its organization for a number of years the class went down. It has been recently revived and is now in a florishing condition. There are twenty-five members. A Union Sunday School with an average attendant of thirty-five pupils, is maintained, of which Lyman Reynolds is the superintendent . This class is a branch of the church at Mainesburg.
The Elk Run Methodist Episcopal Church was incorporated February 2, 1864. This church was the outgrowth of a Methodist class, organized some years previous at Chandlerburg, which was formally organized into a church a short time before the incorporation of the society. In 1861 the class consisted of the following named members: Lyman Reynolds, C.G. Smith, Sarah Smith, Amos Mudge, Lucy A. Mudge, Rachel Styres, Caroline Squire, Arad Smith, Margey Smith, Alexander C. Smith, M.A. Smith, Dolly Smith, Hosea Squire, and Irene Squire. In the summer of 1864 a neat frame house of worship, costing $1,200 was erected. This society now has eighty members. There are sixty pupils and teachers in the Sunday School of which B.C. Smith is the superintendent. This church has been in Mainesburg charge since its organization, and has had the same pastors as the church in Mainesburg. The Church of Christ of Mainesburg was organized in January, 1876, and incorporated in January 7, 1879. The names of the original members are as follows: James E. Brown, Lucy Brown, Lovina Love, John Harvey, Clara Harvey, Anna Doyen, Nellie Doyen, Loretta A. Ford, Myrtle Ford, Flora Love, William E. Dewey, Alice M. Stauffer, Ada E.Clarey, Della Reynolds, Demon Dewey, Emaretta Rumsey, Margaret Lovell, Phoebe Ashley, Sanford Dewey, and Lovena H. Dewey. Rev. I/ R. Spencer was the first pastor. He served two years. The names of the succeeding pastors is as follows: Revs. M.S.Blair,1879-80; A.D. Finch,1880-81; Cyrus Hurlbut,1883; C. Brown, 1883;J.M. Calhoun,1884-85;R.F. DeWitt, 1886;Charles McGennis, 1887; M.T. Manus, 1889; M.C. Frick, 1890. Since 1890 the church has been without a pastor, and regular services have not been maintained. A church edifice, costing $2,100 was erected in 1879. This society was, at one time, a strong and vigorous organization, but death removals and withdrawals have greatly reduced its membership.
The Central Union Church or Congregation on the State Road is the name of a corporation chartered February 17, 1860, the incorporators being Thomas Reynolds, Eleazer Orvis, B.I. Rew, Reuben Nash and Roswell Webster. In 1861 it erected a house of worship, known as the Union Church, on the north side of the State Road, in the eastern part of the township. This house has been used from time to time by the Methodists, Christians, Baptists and other denominations for the purpose of holding religious services. It is now the meeting place of the State Road Methodist Episcopal class. Services are held regularly by the pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Mainesburg.
The Doud Burying Ground, on the Peleg Doud place, was one of the earliest burial places in the township. Members of the Doud family were the first to be interred here.
The State Road Cemetery, opposite the State Road Baptist church, embraces about two acres of ground, and is enclosed by a neat iron fence. Interments were begun here about 1820.The remains of early settlers of the eastern and southern portion of the township lie buried here. A number of bodies were removed from early family burying grounds and re-interred here. The newer graves are marked by handsome marble and granite monuments.
Gray’s Valley Cemetery, near the old East Sullivan Baptist church building, contain the graves of many of the early settlers in the eastern part of the township. It is neatly fenced and well cared for.
The Mainesburg Cemetery is situated on elevated ground in the northwestern part of the borough. This cemetery contains about two acres and was opened about 1863. It is inclosed with a good fence and the graves are well cared for. The cemetery has a number of very handsome marble and granite monuments. It is the burial place for the borough and vicinity.
The secret societies now existing in Sullivan township and Mainesburg have large memberships and are prosperous. The Odd Fellows are represented by Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, which was organized March 15, 1871. It meets in Mainesburg and has forty-two members, among whom are many of the leading citizens of the borough and township. Sullivan Grange, No. 84, and the East Sullivan Grange, No. 821, represents the Patrons of Husbandry . The former was organized in February, 1873, meets in Mainesburg, and has a large membership. The latter was organized April 9, 1887. It meets at the residence of Isaac Squires, near Gray’ Valley, and numbers fifty-three members.
Washington Camp, No. 637, P.O.S. of A., was organized March4, 1892,in Mainesburg. It now numbers seventy-eight members and is one of the strongest camps in the county.
Borough of Mainesburg
The borough of Mainesburg is situated on Corey creek, in the western part of the township, midway between its southern and northern boundaries. It was named in honor of John Maine and was organized as a borough in March, 1859. It is on the stage route between Mansfield, in Richmond township, and Troy, Bradford county. Though one of the smaller boroughs of the county, and away from the railroad, it is a trading point of considerable importance, being in the midst of a fine agricultural section. Its schools, its churches and its secret and beneficiary societies are all well attended and maintained, and its people keep in touch with the progress of the day. Its manufacturing and business interest have been some what crippled during recent years by fires, and by the disappearance of timber and the consequent cessation of lumbering operations. The township around it, now being a purely agricultural one, the dependence of the borough for trade is confined to its own citizens and the farmers of the vicinity. The early settlement of the borough is given elsewhere in this chapter, as is also an account of the establishment of its early manufacturing and business enterprises. The Mainesburg Postoffice was established between 1825 and 1830. John Maine, the first postmaster, held the office until about 1845. His successors have been John M. Fox, Baldwin Parkhurst, Homer J. Ripley, James Cudworth, W.P. Rose, M.F. Rose, and J. H. DeWitt, the present incumbent, who was appointed in July, 1895. Since Mainesburg was organized as a borough, the following named persons have filled the office of burgess: James Fox,1859; Joseph Ellis, 1860; R.K. Brundage, 1861; A. Peters, 1865; P.E. Kniffen, 1866; J.B. Strong, 1867; J.B. Cudworth, 1868; N.E. Calkins, 1869; S.S. Rumsey, 1870; L.B. Austin, 1871;J.B. Strong, 1872 and 1873; R.G. Shelton, 1874, 1875, 1876 and 1877; T.O. Doud, 1879,1880, and 1881; J.B. Cudworth, 1882; J.B. Strong, 1883; J.N. Harvey, 1884; Lloyd Squires, 1885 and 1886; R.H. Doud, 1887; C.E. Whiting, 1888; Lloyd Squires, 1889; J.W. DeWitt, 1890; W.L. Welch, 1891 to 1893; J. Austin, 1894 to 1896, and H.E. Bartlett, elected in 1897. The Justices of the peace have been: Isaac S. Rumsey, 1859;R.K. Brundage, 1863; E.A. Fish, 1864; O.F. Richards, 1866; Augustus Redfield, 1868; D.R. Doud, 1869; L.M. Rumsey 1870; A.M. Haight, 1875; re-elected, 1881,1886,1895; J.S. Woodburn, 1880; re-elected 1885, 1890; W.A. Rumsey, 1891; E.R. Maine 1896.
Villages and Postoffices.
Sullivan postoffice was established in 1822. Henry Rew, the first postmaster, held the office until 1828. His successor, James B. Dewey, served over twenty years, and his successor, Uriah B. Welch, ten years. C.W. Palmer, the present postmaster, was appointed April 9, 1863. Each postmaster has transacted the business of the office at his residence. The office is situated in the eastern part of the township.
Gray’s Valley Postoffice was established over sixty years ago. John Gray, the first postmaster, served a number of years and was succeeded by Marcus Strange, who died in 1852. His successor, James Gray, held the office until his death in 1860, when Mrs. Hannah Strange, was appointed. Her son Joseph Strange, succeeded her, and served until, 1883, when the office was discontinued.
Elk Run Postoffice was established about 1854. The first postmaster
was Northrop Smith. His successors have been Cyrus Davenport, C.A. Smith
and S.L. Wood, the present incumbent, who was appointed October 1, 1888.
Mr. Wood also carries on a general store.