|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 email@example.com|
|Mansfield PA and Richmond Township in Tioga County PA|
Location and Surroundings-Early Settlers and Enterprises-Borough Organization and Officials-Fire Department-Postmasters, Physicians and Lawyers-Hotels-Public Schools-Mansfield Classical Seminary-The Mansfield State Normal School-The Soldiers’ Orphan Home-Business Colleges-Later Industries and Enterprises-Newspapers-Churches and Cemeteries-Societies.
The borough of Mansfield is situated east of the geographical center of Richmond township. Its area embraces a little more than two square miles, lies principally on the east side of the Tioga river, and is traversed throughout its entire length by the Tioga railroad. Corey creek enters the borough from the east, north of the center, flows northwest , and empties into the Tioga river near the northwest corner of the borough area. Though somewhat broken north of Corey creek, and along the sides of the river valley, the borough site is , as a whole ,comparatively level, and id well drained and healthful. The altitude, railroad level, is 1,140 feet above the sea. The population, in 1890, was 1,762.
The site of the borough is one of the most beautiful spots in the Tioga valley. The boldness and ruggedness of the hills, on either side of the narrow gap through which the river flows into Tioga township, are here toned down to gentler slopes, permitting them to be cultivated, from base to summit, and giving to the scene a varied beauty that attracts and enchants the beholder. The valley, for miles up and down the river, and the uplands, that stretch away on either side, abound in well-cultivated farms, and are dotted with sightly farm homes, the abodes of thrift, comfort and culture, while the borough itself, with its well-built business center, its sightly normal school buildings, and its many handsome private residences, gives outward evidences of progress and prosperity.
Early Settlers and Enterprises.
Benjamin Corey, the first white man to settle within the borough limits, came early in 1797, and lived, with his wife and children, in a hut on the east side of the Tioga river, west of the present railroad bridge over Corey creek, which stream was named after him. In the fall he built a log house, Daniel and Harry Lamb, then living at Lamb’s Creek, assisting at the raising. Corey’s wife died, and he took her remains in a canoe to the mouth of the Cowanesque, and buried them. He soon afterwards removed to Angelica, New York. Henry Daniels, a surveyor, and Edward Gobin, a deputy surveyor, under the Pennsylvania title, came about 1802 and occupied the Corey cabin. One morning, as Gobin opened the door of the cabin, he was shot through the back and hips, by some one concealed behind a pine stump, on the opposite side of the river. It was supposed that the bullet was intended for Daniels, and that the shooting was done by a Connecticut claimant. A surgeon, brought by Harry Lamb, from Newtown, now Elmira, New York dressed Gobin’s wound. He recovered and afterwards moved to Northumberland county. The first persons, however, to permanently settle within the borough limits, were John, Peter and Jacob Kelts, who, with their father, came from the Mohawk valley, New York, in 1804 or 1805, and occupied the Corey cabin. Jacob was afterwards kicked by a horse and killed. John married Abigail Button, and built a house on a knoll, southwest of the present cemetery. Here, in 1814, Sobrine Kelts, who resides just south of the borough limits, was born. He id the oldest living person born in the borough. Peter, who was a carpenter, built a frame house, the first one here, about 1810 or 1812. It stood near the site afterwards occupied by the Mart King factory. He married Sally, a daughter of Major Elijah Putnam, January 1, 1818, and became a resident of Covington township. Ebenezer Burley, a revolutionary soldier, came in 1808, and settled north of Corey creek, east of the Williamson road. Dr. Stillman Cannon the first physician came in 813, remained two years. and lived in one of the Kelts’ houses. Alpheus Button came in 1815 and built a house near the entrance to Smythe Park. Daniel Holden, the pioneer merchant, came from Albany, New York, 1819, and located in Canoe Camp. In 1820 he removed to Mansfield, and settled on 200 acres of land, now forming a portion of the properties of D.H. Pitts and P.V. Van Ness. In 1822 he began merchandising in a small way. In 1824 he erected the residence, on the west side of Main street, now occupied by P. V. Van Ness. It is the oldest building in the borough. In 1826 he built, across road from his residence, the first store in Mansfield. Here he carried on business until his death, September4,1830. His son, John A. Holden, born in 1821,is the oldest person born in, and now a resident of the borough. In 1822 Almon Allen, a son of Lieut. Jacob Allen, then residing in the township, came here from Cummington, Massachusetts. His brother-in-law, Solon Richards, came about the same time. In 1824 they built a woolen factory, near the northwest corner of Smythe Park, which they afterwards sold to Isaac Drake, who, with his sons, John and Peter, carried on for many years. It was twice destroyed by fire. This factory ceased operations before 1860, and the building , since removed, is now occupied by the planing-mill, sash and door factory, of Edward Doane & company. About the year 1824, Asa Mann, a native of Rhode Island, Who, as early as 1804, had settled in the township, below the borough, purchased from John and Peter Kelts 200 acres of land, the greater part of which is now occupied by the borough business center. In the same year, he cleared some thirty acres of this land, which soon became known as “Mann’s Field.” A year or two later, when he laid out his land in town lots, this name attached itself to the village, which with the passing years, has become the prosperous and progressive borough of to-day. Mr. Mann built a distillery on the site afterwards occupied by the Spencer photograph gallery, and about 1830 erected a saw-mill near the old woolen-mill. A house built in 1827 or 1828, on the southwest corner of Main and Wellsboro streets, by Barrett Clark, was for a time, by Asa Mann, as a hotel, previous to its purchase by Col. Samuel Hunt, in 1828. Asa Mann and his son, William B. Mann, had a store from 1832 or 1833 to 1839, on the site of the building now occupied by Rose Brothers. In the last-named year Asa Mann removed to Peru, Illinois, where he died July 8,1843, aged sixty-one years. About 1824, also , Chandler Mann came here from Otsego county, New York, and built a tannery-said to have been the first in the country- on the west side of Main street, near Corey creek. Hezekiah Gaylord, a native of Connecticut, came in 1822 and located at Kellytown. In 1824 he moved to Mansfield. De. Dexter Parkhurst is credited with coming the same year. In 1825 his brother, Joel Parkhurst, afterwards a prominent business man of Elkland, came from New Hampshire, and kept a few goods for sale in an upper room of the doctor’s house. He remained but a few months. Benjamin Peterson, the first representative of the Negro race here, came about the same time and lived with Dr. Parkhurst. Col. Samuel Hunt came from Lebanon, Madison county, New York, in 1828, and opened a hotel in the building, on the corner of Main and Wellsboro streets, erected by Barrett Clark. He became well known and popular landlord. His daughter, Mrs. Gordon Fuller, who was born in 1820, is now a resident of Mansfield. Oliver Whittaker, who had previously conducted a store for Daniel Holden, in Sylvania, came in 1831, and lived in a house on the northeast corner of Main and Wellsboro streets. Lorin Butts came from Lawrenceville in 1833, and settled in the southern part of the borough, on the place where his daughter , Miss Byrissa B. Butts, now resides. Rodney C. Shaw, a son of Joshua Shaw, a pioneer settler at Lamb’s Creek, moved here in 1835.His widow, born in 1808, the oldest person living in the borough, occupies the old home at the northern end of Main street. Apollos Pitts, Father of D. H., John F. and the late Aaron M. Pitts, came here from Sullivan township in 1837, and became prominent as a merchant. The late Philip Williams, of the banking house of Ross & Williams, came the same year. Capt. Ezra Davis settled here in 1838, and in 1840 built the brick tannery, now carried on by C.S. Kingsley. Abram Shuart, the blacksmith, also came in 1838. E.W. Hazard, the first lawyer, and Benjamin M. Bailey, afterwards prominent as a merchant located here in 1840. Benjamin Gitchell, who had previously lived in Charleston township, and had served as sheriff of the county, built the first brick house here in 1841. It is still standing on the west side of South Main street.
In 1842 Dr. Joseph P. Morris, a man destined to do much for the progress and prosperity of Mansfield, came here from Blossburg, having previously purchased from James R. Wilson, for 12,000, 1,100 acres of land- the Asa Mann property. After residing here until 1846, Dr. Morris removed to Wellsboro, where he remained until 1852, when he returned to Mansfield, and in 1857, had the greater part of his land, lying east of the river, plotted into town lots. Oliver H. Phelps came here in 1843, and in 1850 built a hotel, on the west side of Main street, south of Corey creek. Amos Bixby came in 1844, and 1845, with Edward Faulkner, Gordon Fuller and John A. Holden, built a number of canal boats for use on the Erie canal. Joseph S. Hoard came in 1844, and Lyman Beach, with whom he was for a number of years associated in business , in 1845. Mart King, who for several years carried on a furniture factory, came from Washington county, New York in 1845.L.H. Elliott and his sons, Dr. Charles V. and Simon B. Elliott, came in 1847-48; William Hollands, the harness maker , in 1850; Dr. William M. Barden, the first homeopathic physician, 1852; Henry Allen, the well known lawyer, and the first burgess, in 1854; A.J. Ross, one of the founders of the banking house of Ross & Williams, in 1855,and Clark W. Bailey, for many years identified with the milling and mercantile business of the borough, in 1857. The foregoing names are those of the men most prominently identified with the history of Mansfield previous to its incorporation as a borough. To them belongs the credit of its early up-building. They changed the site on which it stands from a dense wilderness to a thrifty and progressive village , and paved the way for the greater achievements of more recent years. All, except a few, who came in the later decades, have passed away, leaving behind them a record of honesty, integrity, sobriety and untiring industry. Mansfield , the village of yesterday, the borough of to-day, stands as a lasting monument to their memory, and is a fitting testimonial to their earnest, honorable and useful lives.
Borough Organization and Officials.
On November 28,1856, a petition was filed in the court of Quarter sessions of Tioga county, asking for the incorporation of Mansfield as a borough, and defining its proposed boundaries. The petition was favorably acted upon , and an election ordered to take place March 27,1857, at the house of O.H. Phelps. At this election the following-named persons were chosen as the first officers of the borough: Henry Allen, burgess; P. Gaylord, L.H. Elliott, J.M. Cassels, H. Davis and M. Kelly, councilmen. The first meeting of the council was held April 3, 1857, and S.B. Elliott elected secretary, and H. Davis, treasurer, of the borough. Following are the names of those who have filled the office of burgess since 1857: John A. Holden, 1858; S.B. Elliott, 1859; Mart King, 1860-61;A.J. Ross, 1862;Philip Williams, 1863; Mart King, 1864;1864; W.D. Lang,1865;Henry Allen, 1866; J.T. Streit, 1867; H.B. Middaugh,1868;W. Hollands, 1869-70; H.B. Middaugh, 1871; J.S. Murdough,1872-73;Mart King, 1874-75; D.H.Pitts,1876; C.H. Verrill, 1877; W. Hollands, 1878; D.H. Pitts, 1879;E. Blackwell, 1880; C.V. Elliott, M.D.,1881; T.H. Bailey, 1886-87-88-89; H.E. Metcalf,1890-91; C.S. Kingsley,1892; W.D. Husted, 1893; J.M. Barden, M.D., 1894; F.E. Van Keuren, 1895-96, and J.S. Shepard, elected in 1897.
The office of justice of the peace has been filled by the following-named persons: William Adams, 1862; re-elected 1872,1877,1890; Lyman Beach, Jr., 1862; re-elected 1867; Edward R. Webster, 1867; J.W. Wilhelm, 1872; O.D. Goodenough, 1876; B.R. Bailey, 1880; re-elected 1890, 1895; N.A. Elliott, 1882; Mart King, 1885; F.W. Clark,1886; S.G. Rhinevault, 1887; J.A. Moody,1891; re-elected, 1896.
The Mansfield Hook and Ladder Company, No.1, was organized December 27, 1880, and was chartered December 24, 1883. It is officered as follows: Frank W. Clark, president; W.A. Rowland, Vice-president; W.D. Husted, treasurer; J. A. Elliott, secretary; Charles S. Ross, Foreman; and M.S. French and TH. Bailey, assistant foreman.
A.M. Pitts Hose Company, No. 2, was organized July 22,1893, with the following officers: Frank Lawrence, president; Eugene Hall, vice-president; Herbert Griggs, foreman; Arthur Brown, assistant foreman; D.L. Miller, second assistant foreman; Jerome Mann, secretary; Mort Johnson, assistant secretary; Clarence Kohler, treasurer; Fred Gaige, Eugene Hall and Warren Baynes, trustees.
Allen Hose Company, No. 3, was organized August 1, 1893, with the following officers: Ray Longbothum, president; George H. Weeks, vice-president; John Shaw, secretary; W.A. McClausland, treasurer; N. Leon Buck, foreman; E.M. Dorsett, first assistant and Burt J. Bixby, second assistant foreman. Each of these companies is handsomely uniformed, and is made up of an active, enthusiastic and efficient membership. The department is under the command of Judson Elliott, fire chief of the borough.
Postmasters, Physicians and Lawyers.
A post office was established at Canoe Camp in 1822. The first postmaster was Amos Spencer. A few years later it was removed to Mansfield, and Asa Mann appointed postmaster. He held the office until 1839. It has been a difficult matter to secure names of his successors in the order of their service. The following , however, is believed to be an approximately correct list: Simeon F. Utter, Oliver Whittaker, Philemon Doud, Apollos Pitts, Benjamin Bailey, Michael Colville, O.H. Phelps, Mrs. Mary Ruckman, Dr. C.V. Elliot, V.R. Pratt, M.L. Clark, Col. N.A. Elliot, J.A. Elliott and the present incumbent; John L Cummings, appointed August 16,1894.
The first physician to locate in Mansfield was Dr. Stillman Cannon, who came in 1813. Dr. Dexter Parkhurst came in 1824, and had an office near the entrance to Smythe Park. He remained until 1830, and then removed to Mainesburg . Dr. Harmon Whitehead located here about 1832. Dr. H.G. Smythe was here as early as 1838. Dr. C.V. Elliott came in 1847; Dr. William M. Barden, the pioneer homeopathist, in 1852, and practiced till his death, September30,1884; Dr. J.A. Cole, in 1868, and remained a number of years. Dr. John M. Barden, son of Dr. William M. Barden, practiced here from 1881 to 1895, when he removed to Roseville. The profession is now represented by Dr. Benjamin Moody, Dr. Wentworth D. Vedder, Dr. Fred D. Elliot and Dr. Frederick Green Wood. The profession of dentistry is represented by Oramel Newell.
The first Lawyer to locate in Mansfield was E.W. Hazard, who was here before 1840. Henry Allen came in 1854, and practiced till his death, in 1888. William Adams moved from Tioga township in 1855, and practiced law and served as justice of the peace over forty years. S. B. Elliott was admitted but did not practice. J.H. Handy was here a short time. A.J. Webster came in 1870 and remained three or four years. J,C. Horton came later remaining two years. B.J. Cosky came in 1890 and remained until 1894. Douglas H. Griffin came from Canton in April, 1895, and formed a partnership with Leon S. Channell, which continued until Mr. Griffins death, from accidental shooting, in October,1895. The present members of the bar of this borough, are Frank W. Clark, admitted to practice February 5, 1866; John W. Adams, admitted in November, 1867, and Leon S. Channell, admitted June 3,1893.
About 1827 Barrett Clark erected a building on the northeast corner of Main and Wellsboro streets, in which Asa Mann kept hotel for a short time. In 1828 Capt. Samuel Hunt, who came from Madison county, New York , bought the property and carried on the hotel for a number of years. The house was burned in 1849, Aaron Ingalls being the landlord at that time In the following year the house now occupied by B.R. Baily as a farm implement warehouse , was built for a hotel by Capt. Samuel Hunt and Gurdon Fuller, who kept it for several years. In 1850 Oliver W. Phelps erected a hotel building on the west side of Main street, south of Corey Creek , in which he kept hotel until his death in 1863. The building now known as the Hotel French was originally a private residence. When first used for hotel purposes it was known as the Fuller House. It has had many landlords. In December, 1896, the property was purchased by M.S. French, for several years landlord of the Allen House, and was remodeled and occupied by him in the spring of 1897. A brick building on Sherwood street , near the railroad , originally a private residence, was transformed into a hotel about 1877, with P.V. Clark as landlord, and was known as the Grand Central Hotel. The Allen House, used for several years after its erection for the Soldiers’ Orphan School, is now owned by Thomas H Bailey, ex-county commissioner, who purchased it of Mrs. Jane M. Allen in December, 1896. In April, 1897, Mr. Bailey took charge of the hotel and is the present landlord.
During the winter of 1821-22, a school was taught by Susanna Allen, a daughter of Lieut. Jacob Allen, in the dwelling house of John Kelts. This was the first school within the borough limits. Between 1822 and 1826, her sister Philena Allen, taught in a house, built in 1815 for a dwelling by Alpheus Button, near the entrance to Smythe Park. In 1826 a plank school house was built, a few rods south of Wellsboro street, on land now embraced in the right of way of the railroad. The first school was taught here during the winter of 1827-28, by W.C. Ripley. In 1838, after the taking effect of the public school law, a two story frame building was erected on southeast corner of Academy and Wellsboro streets, and used for school purposes until 1881, when the present graded school building was erected. The old building is now used as a dwelling. The new building, including grounds, furniture, etc., cost over $13,000. It is a handsome brick edifice, beautifully located south of Wellsboro street, near the river. The school is now practically conducted as a department of the State Normal School, the grades below the High School being carried on as a model school of that institution.
Mansfield Classical Seminary
To the late Col. Joseph S. Hoard belongs the credit of first suggesting the establishment in Mansfield of an institution of learning of a higher grade than the average country academy. It was made in May or June, 1854, to Dr. Joseph P. Morris, Rev. H.N. Seaver, Alvin Gaylord and a few others. The first to give encouragement was Dr. Morris, who joined Colonel Hoard in creating a sentiment in favor of the proposed school. The matter was brought before the quarterly conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, July 9,1854, during a camp-meeting held at L.D. Seeley’s farm, in Sullivan township, where the friends of the enterprise gathered in Col. R.C. Shaw’s tent. The conference not being prepared to act , a meeting was appointed for the following Monday in the Methodist Episcopal church in Mansfield. At this meeting it was resolved to hold a public meeting in the same church July 26,1854. This meeting was an enthusiastic one. The nature of the enterprise was explained , and a paper presented for signatures, proposing the formation of a stock company with shares at $50 each. There was a stipulation that the school should be under the patronage of the East Genesee Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, but in no sense , was it to be a church or sectarian school. The principal was, however, to be a member of that church. A committee, consisting of Colonel Hoard, Rev. William Manning, Alvin Gaylord, R.C. Shaw, Hon. D.L. Sherwood, Lyman Beach, Jr., and other was appointed to solicit subscriptions. On August 8,1854, the subscriptions having reached $5,000, a committee was appointed to present the claims of the enterprise to the Genesee Conference. This was done, and the conference appointed five commissioners, with discretionary powers to investigate and decide whether support should be pledged. In the meantime, citizens of Wellsboro concluded that such an institution would be a good thing for their village. The result was a warm contest between the two places. The commissioners, however decided in favor of Mansfield.
A charter was secured for the “ Mansfield Classical Seminary,” the first meeting under it held December 1,1854, and the following officers and trustees elected: Col. J.S. Hoard, president; Dr. C.V. Elliott and R.P. Buttles, vice-presidents; Dr. Joseph P. Morris, recording secretary; B.M. Bailey and S.B. Elliott, corresponding secretaries; Lyman Beach, Jr., treasurer; William M. Johnson, librarian, and Rev. William Manning, T.L. Baldwin, G.R. Wilson, Rev. A. Sherwood, Rev. Richard Videon, Joseph Hubbell, Lyman Reynolds, Hon. D.L. Sherwood, Dr. Joseph P. Morris, William K. Kimball, J.B. Clark, B.M. Bailey and Lyman Beach, Jr., trustees.
At the first meeting of the trustees, held February 15,1855, a plan for a brick building, four stories high, 100 feet front, with two wings , each seventy-eight feet high, was adopted, and the building erected under the supervision of Col. J.S. Hoard, Hon. D.L. Sherwood and Amos Bixby. April 17,1856, the board elected Rev. J.E. and Mrs. H.L. Jaques, principal and preceptress, at a combined salary of $900 per annum. The seminary was formally opened January 7,1857, with 105 students. The building when finished and furnished represented an outlay of nearly $20,000 with an indebtedness of $6,000.
The second term of school began April 16,1857, with 150 students. Six days later the building burned to the ground, the fire occurring about 10 o’clock in the morning. It was insured for $12,000. The night following the fire, the friends and promoters of the institution held a meeting, resolved to rebuild, and subscribed $4,000.Work was at once begun, and by September 1,the greater portion of the first story of the south building was erected. The panic of that year, the refusal of one insurance company to pay, and the collapse of another, rendered the trustees unable to meet payments. Work was suspended and a long struggle with financial difficulties ensued. Finally, an enthusiasm, born of despair took possession of the people, even to women and children, and at a picnic held August 20,1858, over $,000 was subscribed, the subscriptions being payable in labor, board , grain, provisions, sewing, lumber, cattle, everything merchantable, in sums from twenty-five cents to $100.
August 25,1858, the trustees resolved to proceed with the building, but to incur no indebtedness. P.M. Clark, William Hollands and S.B. Elliott were appointed a building committee. Work was begun and carried forward under many difficulties. Through incomplete, the institution was re-opened November 23,1859, with thirty students. Rev. James Landreth was principal and Miss Julia A. Hosmer perceptress.
In November, 1859, S.B. Elliott was elected president. Professor Landreth resigned in July,1860, and was succeeded by Rev. William B. Holt, with Prof. E. Wildman, assistant. At the annual election all but four of the old officers were retired and a new building committee elected. Rev. N. Fellows was chosen president, and Rev. R.A. Drake, treasurer. January 19, 1861, Mr. Drake was appointed general agent and manager, and all assets, subscriptions and debts were assigned to him. Troublous times followed, and the friends of the institution had a struggle to keep it from falling into the sheriff’s hands. They finally succeeded. Professor Holt resigned April 4,1861, and was succeeded by Professor Wildman. At the annual election in November, the old officers were for the most part, restored. Rev. W. Cochran was elected president, and Professor Wildman, treasurer. Mr. Drake resigned as manager. At the time Mr. Drake , Rev. Richard Videan and J.C. Howe-who had been misled and nearly ruined, financially- held a number of judgments against the institution, which they had purchased, and repeated attempts were made to sell it at sheriff’s sale. In the face of these obstacles, the work of completing the building was carried on by the trustees.
In the meantime a proposition to make the institution a State Normal School had been discussed, and during the winter of 1861-62, S.B. Elliott, who was in the state legislature, worked zealously with that in view. July 2,1862, the trustees, by unanimous vote, made application to the State to have the institution changed to a State Normal School.. December 11, 1862, the examiners appointed by the governor, and by Dr. Burroughs, superintendent of common schools met at Mansfield, and after examination reported favorably, and on December 12, the Mansfield Classical Seminary passed out of existence and was succeeded by the State Normal School of the Fifth district, being the third in the State to be recognized, Millersville and Edinboro preceding it.
The Mansfield State Normal School.
The change of the Mansfield Classical Seminary to a State Normal School
did not immediately relieve its financial embarrassment, and “sheriff’s
racks could e seen approaching it from all directions.” January 20,1864,through
the efforts of Rev. W. Cochran, William Hollands, Dr. Joseph P. Morris
and S.B. Elliot, Hon. John Magee generously loaned the institution $6,500,
and on January 1,1867, made the trustees a New Year’s present of $3,332.50,
the unpaid balance of that amount. The first legislative appropriation,
made in the winter of 1863, amounted to $5,000, since which time the State
has dealt generously with the institution. Rev. W.D. Taylor was elected
principal March 19,1863, and held the position until July 13,1864, when
he was succeeded by Prof. Fordyce A. Allen, elected for five years. Under
Professor Allen’s administration the school prospered. He and the president,
S.B. Elliott, who had succeeded Rev. W. Cochran, devoted themselves to
its up building and to the work of placing it on a firm financial basis.
February 16,1869, Professor Allen resigned, and on May 20,1869, Prof. J.T.
Streit was chosen to succeed him. He died November 13,1869,and January
7, 1870, Prof. Charles H. Verrill was elected principal. He was succeeded
in September, 1873, by Prof. J.N. Fradenburgh, who served until September,1875,
when Professor Verrill was again elected .In September, 1877, Prof. Fordyce
A. Allen was again made principal, and in November, Prof. John H. French,
LL.D., was elected associate principal. He resigned September 6, 1878.
Professor Allen died February 11, 1880, and Prof. J.C. Doane filled out
the remainder of the school year. In September, 1880, Prof. D.C. Thomas
was elected principal. He resigned February 1,1892, to take effecy at the
close of the school year, and was succeeded by Prof. Samuel H. Albro, the
present principal, who is assisted by a faculty of able and experienced
educators. After the change to a State Normal School, the work of completing
the unfinished buildings was pushed forward. Since then old buildings have
been remodeled and new ones erected, until the institution is one of the
best in the State in respect to the character and extent of its buildings.
The buildings recently completed and those in contemplation will place
it, so far as architecture and appropriate equipment can do so, in the
very front rank of the normal schools of the country. The seminary building,
accepted by the State, was the main portion of the present South Hall,
a brick structure 150x50 feet, and four stories high. It was remodeled
and enlarged in 1889. In this building are the gentlemen’s dormitories,
six recitation rooms and the text book library. The North Hall is 270x100
feet, and 5 stories high, and cost $150,000. It contains the office of
the principal, an elegant dining room, finished in oak, with a seating
capacity of 500, the kitchen, bakery, etc., dormitories, for the ladies,
reception rooms, suits of rooms for the art department, and the Normal
School of Music. The Normal School of Music, which is in charge of Hamlin
E Cogswell, has grown to be an important department of the institution,
and has a special faculty devoted to vocal and instrumental instruction.
Two stories of an “L,” projecting from the northeast corner of the North
Hall, are set apart as an infirmary, and are furnished with every appliance
for the sick. The Alumni Hall-named for the Alumni Association- is located
midway between the North and South Halls. It is 117x54 feet, and three
stories high. It contains the model school rooms, recitation rooms, the
society rooms, and a concert hall, which occupies one entire story. It
was completed in 1886, at a cost of $25,000. The bell which swings in its
tower, which cost $550, was given by the Alumni Association in June, 1886.
All the buildings named are of brick, and the style of architecture is
sightly and attractive. The gymnasium is a frame building, 130x50 feet,
situated in the rear of the South Hall. It contains a large drill hall,
a library and reading room, one for the military company, one for cabinet
specimens and a ladies’ dressing room. It was erected in 1888, at a cost
of $7,000. The grounds embraced ten acres, and are beautifully laid out
in lawns, and covered with a great variety of forest trees. In 1895 the
value of grounds, buildings, furniture , library, etc., amounted to a total
of $305,000.The State aid to 1895 amounted to $245,000, making a total
, with stock and subscription of $268,050. The management of the institution
is confided to a board of trustees, eighteen in number, twelve of whom
represent the stockholders and six the State. Four of the former and two
of the latter are elected each year. Those representing the stockholders
are J.C. Howe, Charles S. Rose, Joseph S. Hoard and Volney Ripley, whose
terms of office expire in 1899; A.M. Spencer, J.A. Elliott, Dr. John M.
Barden and H.F. Kingsley, whose terms expire in1898, and D.H. Pitts, Dr.
W.D. Vedder, E.L. Sperry and F.E. Van Keuren, whose term expires in 1897.
Representing the State-Benton E. James, Montrose; Lee Brooks, Canto; whose
terms of office expire in 1899; Hon. H.B. Packer, Wellsboro, and Dr. F.G.
Elliot, Mansfield, whose term expire in 1897. The honorary trustees are
Hon. S.B. Elliott, Hon. C.V. Elliott, Peter Van Ness and Albert Sherwood.
The officers of the board are, D.H. Pitts, president; J.A. Elliott, secretary
and Edward h. Ross, treasurer. The Alumni Association of the State Normal
School of Mansfield was chartered February 11, 1871.Its object is “to encourage
and foster among the graduates of the State Normal School,” “the spirit
of friendship and self-improvement by an annual re-union.” The present
officers are, W.W. Allen, president; C.J. Beach, vice-president; Jennie
Farrer Avery, secretary; Joseph S. Hoard, treasurer , and F.M. Allen, Anna
Peck Capell, Maud Gates, Mary L. Shaw and Lucy Ransom Longstreet, executive
Soldiers’ Orphan Home
This institution was founded by Prof. F.A. Allen, who opened it October 1, 1867, having previously made application to the superintendent of Soldiers’ orphans for twenty-five boys and twenty-five girls. The school was first kept in an old store building, but later larger and better buildings were secured, one of them being the present Allen House. The attendance the first year was sixty-three pupils. Each year witnessed an increase, until there were over 200 pupils in the school. In 1872 a farm of 150 acres near the borough was purchased ,in order to give employment and instruction to the boys. After Professor Allen’s death, in 1880, his widow carried on the school, assisted by Vine R. Pratt, who had been connected with it almost from the beginning. In 1890 the school was moved to Hartford, and J. Miller Clark, of Mansfield, appointed superintendent.
The Mansfield Business College was opened in the spring of 1882, the officers being Rev. J.T. Brownell, president; C.S. Ross, secretary; E.D. Westbrook, principal of penmanship department; C.V. Ireton, principal of department of phonography. In 1886 T.P. Jones succeeded to the management. He was succeeded by J.N. Smoot, who carried it on until 1894 when it was discontinued.
The Allen Business College was opened in May, 1882, by F.M. Allen, who carried it on for two years, when he became connected with the Williamsport Commercial College and discontinued his school here.[Note from JMT - Apparently this reopened as we have postcards form 1908 and 1909 from the school]
Later Industries and Enterprises
The Mansfield Tannery, the oldest manufacturing enterprise in the borough, was established in 1840, by Capt. Ezra Davis. In the fall of 1865 Ralph R. Kingsley acquired a half interest in it, and in 1868 became sole owner. He associated with him his son, C.S. Kingsley, and the firm continued as R.R. Kingsley & son until the father’s death, December 26,1893, since which time C.S. Kingsley has carried on the business. It is devoted to the tanning of upper leather, has the capacity of 80 to 100 sides per day, and gives work to ten employees.
The Sun Milling Company- the principal proprietary interest being in Charles S. Ross- operates the roller grist-mill in the western part of the borough. This mill was established as a water-power, buhr-mill, in 1850, by Terrence Smythe. In 1857 it was purchased by Clark W. Bailey, and operated by himself, his sons, T.H. and J.W. Bailey, and lesees, until 1890, when it passed into the hands of the Sun Milling Company. It is now a full roller-mill, has a capacity of seventy-five barrels a day, and is devoted to merchant and custom work. Water and steam power are both used. A.W. Stephenson is manager, and H.B. Breon, superintendent.
The Tioga Iron Works, for many years Mansfield’s most important manufacturing enterprise, was established in 1854, by a company with $50,000 capital, consisting of John F. Donaldson, Dr. Joseph P. Morris, S.F. Wilson and William Bache, for the purpose of manufacturing pig iron from ore obtainable three miles west of the borough. The furnace was erected by Charles F. Swan. The plant afterwards became the property of Schaaber & Johnston, of Reading, who operated it until about 1870, when it was shut down. In 1885 Col. N.A. Elliott was appointed the agent of the owners to dispose of the plant and real estate, which he has since sold.
Bailey’s Steam Saw-Mill was erected in 1860 by Clark W. Bailey. In it was used the first circular saw in this section. In 1866 Mr. Bailey sold it to his sons, T.H. and J.W. Bailey. It was burned in 1877 and rebuilt and burned again in 1889, and not rebuilt.
Edward Doane & Company have ,since 1881, operated a planing-mill, sash and door factory in the old woolen-factory building near the depot. This enterprise was started in 1868 by S.B. Elliott, with whom M.L. Clark was afterwards associated
Mart King’s Furniture Factory was built in 1869, on the west side of the railroad, northwest from the depot, by Matt King. It was first devoted to the manufacture of bedsteads. On December 24,1870, it was destroyed by fire, rebuilt in the following spring, and general line of furniture manufactured. July 4, 1884, it was again destroyed by fire, but was not rebuilt. At this time Mr. King was operating, in connection with it, a steam laundry, which was doing a large business.
The Banking House of Ross &Williams was established May 24, 1872, by Andrew J. Ross and Philip Williams. Mr. Ross remained the senior partner until his death, August 18,1875. In the summer of 1878, having become of age, his oldest son, Charles S. Ross, who had previously been employed as a clerk, entered the partnership as the representative of his father’s interest. Mr. Williams died in July, 1894, and Mr. Ross carried on the business until January 1,1895, as surviving partner, when he became sole proprietor. The use of the old name is continued. This bank is ably and conservatively managed and is regarded as one of the strongest and soundest financial institutions in this section of the State.
Smythe Park situated near the central part of the borough, on what was formally known as the “Island,” contains twenty-five acres of land. It was opened in July, 1879, and named after Dr. H.G. Smythe. It is owned and managed by the Smythe Park Association, incorporated , the officers of which are as follows: C.S. Rose, president; D.J. Butts, vice-president; J.A. Elliott, secretary, and W.D. Husted, treasurer. Here is held annually the Mansfield agricultural, mechanical and industrial fair. The park is also used for picnics, ball games, bicycle races, etc. Except during the fair or other special occasions, when an admission is charged, this park is open to the public.
The New Era Mills, on Main street near Corey creek , were erected in 1882 by the New Era Manufacturing Company, composed of Albert Sherwood, L.L. Flower, Clark B. Sherwood and Andrew Sherwood. The plant, which originally consisted of a four-run steam grist-mill and a clothes pin factory, cost $12,000. The clothes pin factory has been discontinued. Since July, 1893, the grist-mill has been operated by Strait & Kingsley. It is devoted to merchant and custom milling.
The Ross Cigar Company, composed of C.S. and E.H. Ross, is the successor of the Voorhees Cigar Company, established in Mansfield May 1, 1884. The present company has owned the factory since May 1,1889. About sixty hands are employed and 10,000 cigars a day manufactured. The principal brands are the “Supreme Court” and the “Sidman.“ The factory is located on the east side of Main street, south of Wellsboro street.
The Mansfield Opera House Company (Limited),proprietors of the Mansfield Opera House, was incorporated November 19,1888, the incorporators being the members of the Mansfield Hook and Ladder Company. The first officers were Frank E. Van Keuren, president; A.E. Backer, secretary; C.S. Ross, treasurer, and Frank E. Van Keuren, C.S. Ross, A.E. Backer, H.E. Metcalf and John Van Osten, managers. The opera house is a handsome two-story brick, on the north side of Wellsboro street, east of Main street. The borough building, also, a two-story brick, in which are located the borough offices and the fire department, adjoins it on the west.
The Mansfield Foundry and Machine Shops, on South Main street, were established in 1890 by Moore & Hanson, who were succeeded in 1892 by Moore & Tomlinson. The plant is devoted to the manufacture of agricultural implements and to general repairing.
The Paisley Woolen Company, capital $40,000 was organized September 21,1892, with the following officers: Alexander McLachlan, president and superintendent ; Charles S. Ross, secretary; Philip Williams, treasurer. The plant, which comprises the latest improved machinery, occupies a building 150x50, with an engine room 100x25 feet, in the southern part of the borough, and is devoted to the manufacture of shawls.
The Mansfield Board of Trade was incorporated April 8,1892, with the following officers: H.F. Kingsley, president; Dr. J.M. Barden, first vice-president; F.W. Clark, second vice-president; W.D. Husted, secretary; M.L. Clark, treasurer, and P. Williams, D.H. Pitts and D.J. Butts, trustees. There were 123 charter members. The object of the association is “ the promotion of the prosperity of Mansfield, and the advancement of its business interest.”
The Mansfield Wood Novelty Works was organized June 13,1892, with a capital of $20,000. The officers were as follows: M.L. Clark, president; C.S. Ross, secretary; P. Williams, treasurer, and C.S. Ross, H. E. Metcalf, D.H. Pitts, M.L. Clark and C.S. Kingsley, directors. The plant is located a short distance south of Corey creek, on the east side of the railroad, and is devoted to the manufacture of a miscellaneous list of articles out of native woods. When run to its fullest capacity it employs about fifty men. L.W. Obourn is the superintendent.
The Mansfield Building and Loan Association was chartered May 23,1893, with an authorized capital of $1,000,000. The officers were as follows: F.E. Van Keuren, president; J.A. Elliott, Secretary; W.W. Allen, treasurer, and F.E. Van Keuren, M.E. Gillett, T.W. Judge, J.S. Hoard, O.B. Smith, E.A. Spencer, M.H. Shepard, S.E. Coles, and T.F. Rolason, directors. Its object is to promote the building interest of the borough.
The Mansfield Water Company, of which J.A. Elliott is the superintendent , was organized in 1893. The stockholders are non-residents, the principal ones being ex-Lieutenant-Governor Watres and Hon. Lemuel Ammerman, of Scranton. Gravity system is used, the source of supply being Seeley creek, in the northwest part of the township.
The Mansfield Chair Company was organized in October, 1893, by A.H. and C.F. Laasch, with a capital of $5,000. The shop, two in number, are situated near the railroad, east end of the Novelty Works. Ten men are employed in the manufacture of chairs, tables, sofas and furniture.
In 1856 I.M. Riuckman started a paper in Mansfield called The Balance. This name was subsequently changed to the Mansfield Express. About 1857 the plant was removed to Kansas, and during the anti-slavery agitation was thrown into the Missouri river. Among the editors in Mansfield were S.B. Elliott, and Col. J.S. Hoard. In 1872 The Valley Enterprise was removed from Lawrenceville to Mansfield, by H.C. Mills, who was succeeded as editor by V.A. Elliott. It was purchased by O.D. Goodenough, who on January 21, 1875, changed its name to the Mansfield Advertiser. He was succeeded by D.A. Farnham, Pratt & Goodenough and W.A. Rowland, from whom, on May 6, 1885, Frank E. Van Keuren purchased it. In the following July, Sheridan E. Coles became a partner, and the paper has since been published by them under the firm name of Van Keuren & Coles. It is a home-print, eight-column folio, devoted to local interests, is well edited and has a good circulation.
Churches and Cemeteries.
The First Presbyterian Church of Richmond was organized July5, 1832, at the house of Rev. Asa Donaldson, by the Rev. David Higgins and the Rev. Elisha D. Wells, a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Bath. The names of the original members are as follows: Amariah Robbins, Joel Harkness, Joseph Thompson, John Backer, John W. Donaldson, Timothy Orvis, John Kelley, Mary Cooley, Hannah Kelly, Thanks Webster, Delia Donaldson, Emily Sexton, Anna Finks, Roxalana Brown, and Rachel Orvis. The minutes of the meeting are signed by Rev. Asa Donaldson, who had previously conducted meetings in the old school house on Wellsboro street, and was instrumental in bringing about the organization of the church, the early membership of which included all the persons of the Presbyterian faith in Richmond, Tioga and Sullivan township. The election of ruling elders was deferred until April 9, 1834, when Amariah Robbins and Holly Seely were chosen. The first session met at Tioga May 17,1834, when Catherine M. Wickman, Miss Betsey Mather, Miss Abigail Presten, Jonas B. Shurliff and wife and Mrs. Martha Graves were admitted to membership and constituted a branch of the church in Richmond. Mr. Donaldson, the pastor, severed his connection with the church in 1837, and moved to Illinois. On August 3, 1839, John Kelly and Joseph Robbins were chosen ruling elders. The meeting of the session on February 10,1841, was presided over by Rev. P.H. Fowler. The last entry in the minutes book was made June 27,1857, and notes the election of Lorin Butts as ruling elder, to fill a vacancy caused by the death of Amariah Robbins. This church purchased and worshiped in a building -erected for a wagon shop by a man named Hilton, on the southeast corner of Main and Sherwood streets-and about three acres of land. The present Baptist church stands on part of this land. The church, as an active body, passed out of existence in the early fifties.
The First Baptist Church of Mansfield was first organized as a branch of the Sullivan Baptist Church april 10,1840, by members of the Baptist faith residing in Mansfield and vicinity. The members of this branch were Deacon Daniel Sherwood and Anna, his wife ;Hon. D.L. Sherwood and Maria, his wife; E.P. Clark and Fanny, his wife; Oliver Elliott, Thomas Jerald, Martha Utter and Lorena Ripley, together with Rev. Abijah Sherwood and Maria his wife. On April 1, 1843, the above named members organized an independent Baptist church to be known as the Baptist church of Mansfield. Rev. Abijah Sherwood served as pastor until 1860, with the exception of the years 1852 and 1853, when Rev. G.W. Stone filled the pulpit, and 1853 and 1854 when it was filled by Rev. W.P. Maryatt. The succeeding pastors have been as follows: Revs. N.L. Reynolds, 1860-66; G.P. Watrous, 1866-67 and 1869-73; J. W. Henry, 1867-68; J.E. Bell, 1874-75; H. Bray, 1875-78; J.M. Righter, 1878-81; S. Early, 1881-83; A.W.H. Hodder, 1884; F.H. Cooper, 1885; H.S. Quillen, 1891; Charles DeWoody, 1892, and F.W. Reynolds, the present pastor, who took charge in April, 1893. The church was incorporated March 28,1873.The church building, erected in 1848-49, on the northeast corner of Main and Sherwood streets, was replaced in 1888 by the present brick edifice, at a cost of $7,000.
The First Methodist Episcopal Churchof Mansfield was formally organized February 20,1845. At an early day itinerant preachers of this denomination visited the settlers in the Tioga valley , and held meetings in dwellings, barns and the open air. They were ardent, earnest and oftentimes eloquent evangelists, and upon the occasion of their visits the people came many miles to hear them. These occasional services were held in Mansfield until 1841, after which services were held at stated times. February10,1845, a petition was presented to the conference, signed by S.F. Utter, H.G. Martin, P. Doud, Elijah Clark, Russell Davis, Alvin Gaylord, R.C. Shaw, Isaiah Seelye and P. M. Clark, asking to be incorporated as the First Methodist Episcopal church of Mansfield. This petition was granted on the 20th of the same month. The first trustees of the church were Elijah Clark, Simeon F. Utter, Phineas M. Clark, Rodney C. Shaw, Alvin Gaylord, John Cochran and Marvin Perry. The names of the pastors who have served this church are as follows: Revs. I. Smith, 1841;E.H. Cranmer, 1841-42;R.M. Reach,and M. Scott,1843; J. Ashworth and S. Nichols, 1844; E. Pinder, 1845; R.L. Stillwell, 1846-47;O. Trowbridge, 1848-49; W.C. Mattison, 1850;A. H. Shurtiff, 1851; W. Manning, 1852-53; L.L. Rogers, 1854-55; J.R. Jaques, 1856; H.N. Seavers, 1857;R.L. Stillwell, 1858-59; R.A. Drake and W. Beach, 1869; R.A. Drake and W. Cochran,1861; W. Cochran, 1862; W.M. Haskell, 1863-64; H. Lamkin, 1865-67; H.T. Giles, W. Beach, L. Beach and L.D. Watson, 1868; W.D. Taylor, 1869-71; J.T. Canfield, 1872;H.S. Parkhurst, 1873-74; G.C. Jones, 1875-76; H.Vosburgh, 1877; H.C. Moyer, 1878-80; J.T. Brownell,1881-82; D.W. Smith, 1883-84; W.A. Ely, 1884-86; W.S.H. Hermans, 1886-89; David Keppel, 1889-92; A.N. Damon, 1892-93; E.J. Rosengrant, 1894-97.
The first services were held in a building erected for a wagon shop, at the corner of Main and Sherwood streets, opposite the Baptist church, and afterwards in the old school building at the corner of Wellsboro and Academy street. In 1849 the building on the corner of Main and Elmira streets, now used by the Universalist congregation, was erected at a cost of $1,600. April 17,1872, the present building, on the northwest corner of Wellsboro and Academy streets, was dedicated. It is of brick, has a seating capacity of six hundred, cost $16,000, and is one of the finest church edifices in the county. In May, 1895,the E.P. Clark homestead, adjoining the church on the north , was purchased and remodeled for a parsonage, at a cost of $2,500. The church now numbers 538 members. There are 200 pupils and teachers in the Sunday-school, of which F.M. Allen is the superintendent. The young people of this church are members of the Epworth League, Chapter No.1083, of which George L. Strait is president.
St. James’ Protestant Episcopal Churchoriginated in a Sunday-school started by William Holland in March, 1865, of which Mrs. James R. Wilson, Mrs. Joseph P. Morris and others were active members. Mr. Hollands acted as lay reader until April, 1866, when Rev. N. Barrows became rector, after which services were held regularly in the Baptist church, which had been rented for that purpose. A church was organized, of which William Hollands and Charlotte, his wife; Mrs. Sarah E. Morris, James R. Wilson and Margaret his wife; Robert Crossley and Mary, his wife; Frederick Hart, Josephine and Irene Stewart, were members. A charter of incorporation was obtained May 30,1867. The necessary funds for a building were secured, the cornerstone laid September 12, 1868,Bishop Stevens, and the building completed and opened for worship December 21,1870, the cost , including bell and organ, being $7,500. It is located on the south west corner of Wellsboro and St, James streets. On April 24, 1871, the church was dedicated by Bishop Stevens, the officers at the time being James R. Wilson, senior warden; William Hollands, junior warden; R. Crossley, A.J. Rodd, F.A. Stuart, F. A. Allen, and J.P. Morris, vestry men. The lot on which the church stands was a gift of Dr. and Mrs. Joseph P. Morris; the bell, weighing 1,140 pounds and costing $500.00, and a fine pipe organ costing $800.00, were presented by Charles E. Smith , of Philadelphia, and many valuble tokens were received from Mrs. Edgar of New York; Mrs. Margaret Wilson, Mrs. Sarah E. Morris, Mrs. Vesta King, Mr. and Mrs.F.A. Allen and others. Rev. N. Barrows, the first rector, served from 1866 to 1875. His successors have been Revs. William Marshall, 1875-80; F.P. Fugett, 1880; B.F. Brown, 1881-84; Karcher, 1885-87; J.B. Blanchard, 1888; William DuHamel, 1890; F.S. Hipkins, 1892-94. Rev. Francis McFetrich took charge in November, 1895, and remained until March, 1897.
The Presbyterian Church of Mansfieldwas organized April 29, 1870, by Rev. Dr. J.D. Mitchell, Rev. C. Otis Thatcher and Hon. H. W. Williams, a committee appointed by the Presbytery of Wellsboro, at Tioga.. The names of the original members of the church are as follows: Charles H. Verrill, William Hutchinson, Mrs. Fidelia Hutchenson, Mrs. Harriet N.Hunt, Miss Nettie H. Hunt, Miss Emma R. Hunt, Ralph R. Kingsley, Mrs. Sarah Kingsley, Mrs. Eliza Kingsley, Miss Caroline M Kingsley, Mrs. Lottie R. Hoyt, Mrs. C.E. Elliott, Charles Thompson, Mrs. James Hoard, Mrs. Mary E. Spencer and Mrs. Lavina Reynolds. Charles H. Verrill and William Hutchinson were elected ruling elders. AT this meeting Mr. and Mrs. O.V. Elliott, Miss Emma A. Elliott and Miss Lelia S. Coles were admitted to membership on profession of faith. Rev. Joseph A. Rosseel, the first pastor, served until 1875. His successors have been as follows: Revs. S. C. McElroy, 1875-76; George D. Meigs, 1876-82; William F. Carter, 1882-85; George N. Rogers, supply ,1885; J.B. Woodward,1888-90; W.T. Schofield, D.D., supply from November, 1892, to April, 1893, and Rev. Charles E. Hoyt, who served from January, 1894, to October, 1896. The church building, located on the north side of Wellsboro street, east of Main, was erected in 1875, at a cost , with the lot, of $2,800. It was enlarged in 1894 at a cost of $1,000. The church numbers eighty members. In the Sunday-school are ninety pupils and teachers. Prof. W.R. Longstreet was superintendent from 1886 to 1895. John P Bates is the present superintendent.
The Universalist Church was organized in 1880, its members consisting of Rev. J.S. Palmer and family; P.S. Ripley, Dr. J.A. Cole, Freeman Shaw, Mr. and Mrs. Strait and Mrs. Laura Kohler. Miss Emma Bailey served this church as pastor for ten years. Rev. J.S. Palmer became pastor in January, 1895.The old Methodist Episcopal church building at the corner of Main and Elmira streets was purchased by this society in 1882, and has been used as its house of worship. The Sunday-school numbers twenty-five pupils. Frank Howe is the superintendent.
A Roman Catholic Sunday-School was organized in 1887, and is under the charge of the pastor of the church at Blossburg. John Gibson is the president. There is an average attendance of fifty pupils, who meet in a hall over D.H. Pitts’ store on Main street.
Hope Cemetery, situated west of Main street, on a hill north of Corey creek, has been a burial place since the earlier years of Mansfield’s history. Here rest the remains of many of the pioneers of the borough and the township, a number of those originally interred in private burial grounds. having been removed hither in more recent years. The old burial plot is now owned by the borough, and the vacant lots, or those that may became vacant by removals, are free. The additions made during later years are owned by Andrew Sherwood and Mrs. Jane M. Allen, from whose land they were taken.
Oakwood Cemetery Company, capital $5,000, was organized August 11, 1890, owns a cemetery plot of eleven acres in the northeastern part of the borough. The officers of the cemetery are as follows: D.H. Pitts president; O. Newell, vice-president; J.S. Hoard, secretary; C.S. Ross, treasurer; D.H. Pitts, J.S. Hoard and C.S, Ross, directors.
Friendship Lodge, No 247, F. & A.Y.M., was organized July 1, 1850, with the following officers and charter members: Josiah N. Wright, W.M.; Lorin Butts, S.W.; Thomas Mantor, J.W., and James Husted, Ambrose Millard, Daniel Lamb, John Lownsbery and Lorin Lamb. The lodge met in a building an the corner of Main and Sherwood streets. March 1,1852, the lodge moved to Covington and continued there until October 29,1860, when it returned to Mansfield and met in the building now occupied by Shepard’s store. On January 3,1887, the charter was surrendered to the Grand Lodge Pennsylvania, and on April 27, of the same year, a new charter was secured and the lodge reorganized with Dr. Wentworth D. Vedder, W.M.; Charles S. Ross, S.W.; Elmer R. Backer, J.W.; Burr R. Bailey, T., and Frank E. Van Keuren, S., and Isaac Squires, Northrup Smith, John S. Murdough , Benjamin Jones and Clement T. Paine, members. The lodge met in a hall over H.F. Kingsley’s store, until April, 1895, when it moved into a new hall in the Reese & Farrer building on Wellsboro street, which had been fitted up at a cost of $800.00. The living past masters of this lodge are as follows: A.M. Spencer, John S. Murdough, Jerome F. Kingsley, Wentworth D. Vedder, M.D., Frank E. Van Keuren, Homer F. Kingsley, Frank H. Cooper, Milton R. Goodall and Clarence H. Horton.
Mansfield Lodge, No.526, I.O.O.F., was instituted February 8,1889, with the following officers and charter members: Sheridan E. Coles, N.G.; W.H. Milo, V.G.; B.J. Costley, S.; M.R. Goodall, A.S.; J.M. Barden, T.; A.W. Gillet, R.S.N.G.; David Palmer, L.S.N.G..;C. H. Lawrence, W J. Devoe, C.;F.L. Graves, R.S.S.; Volney Ripley, L.S.S.; L. Goldmeyer, O.G.; Eugene Doane, I.G.; H.E. Metcalf, R.S.V.G.; Benjamin Moody, L.S.V.G., and Frank Kohler, L.A. Brewster, S. Clark Peake, W.B. Jerald, Edward Doane, sitting P.N.G., I.P. Lownsbery, F.M. Gillett, Bryon Bartlett, John F. Pitts, G.E. Goodrich, J.H. Geer and G.W. Davis. The lodge numbers sixty members.
General Mansfield Post,No. 48, G.A.R., was organized August 14,1875. The officers and members were as follows: A.M. Pitts, C.; O.D. Goodenough, S.V.C.; C.S. Kingsley, J.V.C.; F.M. Shaw, O.; P.V. Clark, O.D.; F.M. Spencer, O..G..; M..D. Bailey, A.; H.H. Lamb, S.M.; M.A. Cass, Q.S.; A.J. Brown, I.G.; E.S. Keen, O.G.; and M.L. Clark, C.S.Kingsley, Henry Gaylord, John Kiley, H.B. Shaw, W.H. Matt, J.S. Palmer. Since the organization 188 members have been mustered in. The commanders have been as follows: A.M. Pitts, O.D. Goodenough, H.H. Lamb, H.C. Bailey, M.L. Clark, A.J. Brown, C.S. Kingsley, C.H. Ramsdell, H.H. Horton, Edward Doane, F.M. Shaw, O.T. Haight, H.B. Shaw, Dr. Benjamin Moody, M.R. Goodall and W.B. Hall. The post has a handsomely furnished hall in the Allen building.
General Mansfield Corps, No.6, W.R.C., was organized March 3,1890, with the following officers and members: Esther M. Doane, P.; Frances E. Peterson, S.V.P.; Martha E. Shaw, J.V.P.; Jennie L. Kingsley, S.; Celia C. Shaw, T.; Elizabeth Howe, C.; Alice M. Ingalls, C.; Mina M. Parker, A.S.; May J. Pitts, G.; Ruby A. Daily, G.; and Adelia L. Moody, Rene Dalton, Jennie Welch. This corps now numbers thirty members.
The Mansfield Club was organized January 14,1896, with the following officers: Edward H. Ross, P.; John P.Breidinger, V.P.; Leon S. Channell, S., and Wilmot D. Husted, T. This club, which is a social organization, has handsomely furnished rooms in the opera house block. Its membership is made up of the representative business and professional men of Mansfield.
Tioga Valley Grange, No. 918, P. of H., was organized February 16,1890 with thirty-one charter members. The first officers were J.F.Pitts, M.; J.E. Rose, O.; Byron Bartlett, L.; Edwin Allen, S.; C.H. Horton, A.S.; W.W. Inscho, C.; W.B. Jerald, T.; Byron J. Costley, Sec.; S. McConnell, G.K.; Mary E. Bartlett, C.; Julia E. Sturdivant, F.; Estelle Clark, P.; Nettie Allen, L.A.S. The present membership of the lodge is ninety-six, and it embraces many of the leading farmers of Richmond township. The meeting place is Allen’s hall, in Mansfield.
Among the other societies in the borough are Fidelity Union, No. 332,
E.A.U., organized June 11,1881; The Knights of Sobriety, Fidelity and Integrity,
organized June 5,1894, and Alladin Tent, No. 220, K.O.T.M., organized in
the summer of 1895.