Tioga Township and Borough — Lawrence Township and Lawrenceville Borough — Jackson Township.
Garret Miller was the first white settler of what is now Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. In 1793 he came from Orange county, New York, cutting a road through the unbroken forest, up Seely creek from Newtown, now a part of Elmira, to a point near the State line, a short distance north of the site of Millerton, where he erected a rude log cabin. Our authority for placing the date of his settlement as 1793, is an inscription on the headstone of his son, Capt. Samuel Miller, in Millerton cemetery, who died in 1850, which says the latter "Resided here for 57 years." Mr. Miller and wife, Mary, were the parents of six sons and five daughters, named as follows: Samuel, Joshua, Garret, Nathan, James, George, Patience, Sally, Betsey, Peggy and Mary. Soon after coming to this county they removed to a tract farther south, building their second cabin on the site of Millerton. Here Mr. Miller followed farming up to his death, May 2, 1824. His wife died nine days later. The family were the first settlers on the site of the village of Millerton, which was named in honor of the pioneer.
James Miller, was born in Jackson township, Tioga county, a son of Garret Miller. He was reared amidst the scenes of pioneer life, and married Rebecca Kinner, who became the mother of twelve children, viz: Hector L., Mary E., Henry F., Lydia, Julia, J. H., Benjamin, Amanda, Celestia, Susan, J. B., and Warren. Politically, Mr. Miller was a Democrat, and served as a justice of the peace for many years. He was a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, which he assisted in organizing in Jackson township.
William Garrison, a son of Justus and Phoebe (Barber) Garrison, was born November 8, 1808, and was one of the early settlers of Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, coming here a single man in 1833, where he later purchased a farm of 166 acres, and passed the remainder of his life in that township. He commenced in early manhood working at farm labor for $8.00 a month, by which means he saved sufficient to make his first payment on his land. Through the passing years he accumulated considerable property in Jackson and Rutland townships, and was one of the prosperous farmers of the county. His wife, Harriet, was a daughter of Foster Updyke, of Jackson township, and bore him the following children: Nelson W., a farmer of Jackson township; Foster, a farmer of Sullivan township; Angeline, wife of E. D. Shepard, of Mansfield; Ransom E., deceased; William H., ex-county commissioner; Louisa, wife of William B. Ripley, of Richmond township; Nancy H., deceased; Chester, a resident of Jackson township; Reuben, a farmer of Jackson, and Ansall E., a resident of Rutland township. Mr. Garrison died upon his farm in Jackson township, in October, 1875. His wife survived until December, 1893.
William H. Garrison was born upon the homestead farm in Jackson township, Tioga county, May 11, 1843, and is a son of William Garrison. He was reared in his native township, there attended the public schools, and later entered the State Normal School at Mansfield. On September 10, 1862, he enlisted in Company D, Sixteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, and participated in the battles of Gettysburg, Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and other engagements, serving until the close of the war. He was discharged June 17, 1865, returned home and resumed work upon his father’s farm. He has since devoted his principal attention to agriculture, and is one of the leading farmers of his native township. Mr. Garrison was married January 3, 1869, to Amelia N. Sturdevant, a daughter of William B. Sturdevant, of Jackson township, to which union have been born four children, three of whom survive, viz: Freeman C., who married Ada, daughter of Henry French, of Bradford county, has one child, Cecil, and lives upon his father’s farm in Jackson; Alta L., and W. Ernest. Mrs. Garrison is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. Garrison is an ardent Republican, and has filled the offices of supervisor of Jackson township three years, assessor ten years, school director six years, and treasurer for two years. In the autumn of 1893 he was elected a county commissioner, which office he filled until the close of 1896. Mr. Garrison is a member of Seely Creek Lodge, I. O. O. F.; Charles W. Deming Post, G. A. R.; the Union Veteran Legion, and the Patrons of Husbandry, in all of which he takes an active interest.
Stephen Morrill, Sr., was a native of Maine, where he followed the carpenter’s trade until late in life. He then removed to Madison county, New York, and about 1833 came to Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he passed the remainder of his life. He was a veteran of the Revolution, and reared a family of eight children, as follows: Stephen, Asa, Jane, Mary, Bertha, Hiram, Jefferson and William, all of whom are dead.
Stephen Morrill, Jr., oldest son of Stephen Morrill, Sr., was born in Maine, September 28, 1796, and there grew to maturity. He served in the War of 1812. About 1824 he married Sophronia Frost, a daughter of Asa and Mary Frost, who bore him two children, George J. and Sophronia, both of whom are dead. Mrs. Morrill died about 1829, and he was again married to Sophronia Jackson, to which union were born ten children, as follows: Mary Ann, wife of Charles Hamilton, of Elmira; A. Jackson, of Chemung county, New York; Margaretta A., wife of W. R. Boyd, of Eddieville, Iowa; Lot W., of Jackson township; Jane, deceased; Josephine, wife of A. R. Ballard, of Denver, Colorado; Sophronia, wife of W. C. Mahurin, of Boston; William E., deceased; Orville B., and Charles S. About 1833 Mr. Morrill came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and located on the farm in Jackson township now owned by his son, Lot W., cutting the first stick of timber on the place. Here he lived and reared his large family, giving them such educational advantages as the country then afforded. He became quite a prosperous farmer and accumulated considerable property, which enabled him to live a quiet, retired life in his declining years. Mr. Morrill was a Jacksonian Democrat, but never sought or would accept public office. During his business life he followed merchandising for a time, and also owned and ran a boat on the Erie canal. He died in 1881, one of the respected pioneers of the community, and is kindly remembered by the older citizens of the township.
Lot W. Morrill, a son of Stephen and Sophronia (Jackson) Morrill, and grandson of Stephen Morrill, Sr., was born in Jackson township, Tioga county, in 1837, in an old log house on the Smith farm, familiarly known as the "Smith House." He was reared a farmer, attended the district schools in boyhood, and remained at home until twenty-five years of age. On December 31, 1861, he married Eliza U. Smith, a daughter of Herman Smith, of Southport, Chemung county, New York, and finally located on his present homestead, where he had spent his boyhood days. Mr. and Mrs. Morrill have an adopted son, Frank D., who is now a student at the Mansfield State Normal School, where he has won the confidence and respect of the faculty by his earnest, studious habits. They have also educated and fitted for a useful life Howard C. Morrill, who is station agent at Cedar Creek, but previously was a commercial traveler for a New York house. Mr. Morrill is a practical temperance man, an earnest worker in the cause, and a member of the Grand Lodge, I. O. G. T. In connection with agriculture, he also carried on a crate factory, and several other enterprises claimed a part of his attention. He is recognized as one of the progressive citizens of the township.
James Friends came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in the twenties, and located near Lawrenceville, where he engaged in lumbering and farming. The country was then principally covered by the primitive forest, and he endured the usual privations and hardships of pioneer life. About 1836 he removed to Jackson township, and located on a farm still owned by his son, S. R. Here he spent the remaining years of his life, dying in 1880, and left a family of eight children to mourn his loss. In early life he was identified with the Democratic party, but on the organization of the Republican party he became one of its active supporters. Mr. Friends was a man of marked integrity, his word being always regarded as good as his bond.
S. R. Friends was born in Steuben county, New York, in 1825, a son of James Friends, and came with his parents to Tioga county in early childhood. His boyhood was passed in Lawrenceville and Jackson township, and he remained at home until after his majority. He was then married to Mary Hogancamp, a daughter of Thomas Hogencamp, of Herkimer county, New York, and located on the farm near where he now lives. He settled in the woods, and was compelled to clear and improve his land, erect buildings, and make for himself a home in the wilderness. When the road was laid out through his farm, he assisted the surveyors to run the line, and supplied them with corn bread for food, the only kind he possessed at that time. He began life with two cows and a team of horses, but by hard and constant labor and strict attention to his affairs, he has accumulated a handsome property, and is now one of the substantial farmers of the township. He has reared a family of six sons and two daughters, all of whom are a credit to their parents. Mrs. Friends died February 10, 1896. Industry, honesty, morality and temperance have been the guiding principles of Mr. Friends’ life. He early united with the Baptist church, but later joined the Reformed Baptist church, in which he now fills the offices of deacon and chairman. He has contributed liberally towards the erection of the present church building, and is one of the leading members of the society. In politics, he is an ardent Republican, and a stanch supporter of the principles and measures of that party. He is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry.
Reuben Mann was born in Vermont. He came to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, when his son, John H., was about four years old, and located on the farm where the latter now lives. Here he was engaged in farming and lumbering until his death. His wife died April 2, 1886. Both he and wife were earnest Christians and active workers in the church. Mr. Mann was scrupulously honest in all his dealings, and was respected by the people of his township. Mr. and Mrs. Mann were the parents of the following children: John H., of Jackson township; Jane, widow of Chauncey Mills, of Wisconsin; Mrs. Jeanetts Cobban, deceased; Laura, wife of Albert Matthews, of Wisconsin; Jerome, deceased; Boardman, of Jackson township, and May, deceased.
John H. Mann, eldest son of Reuben Mann, was born in Dummerston, Vermont, March 5, 1836, and remained at home until his marriage, August 14, 1865, to Clara Friends, a daughter of George and Phoebe (Edsall) Friends. He purchased a part of the old homestead, on which he has since resided, and is now recognized as one of the substantial and enterprising farmers of the township. To Mr. and Mrs. Mann have been born two children, both of whom are dead. In politics, he is an adherent of the Republican party, but has never aspired to nor held office. Charitable and kind to the poor and needy, Mr. Mann is highly esteemed in the community. He is now enjoying the fruits of many years of industry and good management, and is regarded as one of the well-to-do citizens of the township.
Henry Trowbridge was born on the banks of the Kennebec river, at Clinton, Kennebec county, Maine, June 29, 1824, and there grew to manhood. In 1846 he came to Elmira, New York, where he was employed in running circular saws. While there he sent to Boston, at an expense of five dollars, and helped to purchase a steam railroad whistle, which he attached to a boiler at Hendy Hollow, near Elmira, completing the job at about four o’clock in the morning. When he pulled the valve, and the strange, startling sound aroused the people from their slumbers, they came to the mill in a hurry to learn what the trouble was, and were agreeably surprised to find themselves in no danger. In 1849 he married Sarah Jane Hunter, a native of Connecticut, and purchased the farm at Trowbridge, Jackson township, Tioga county, where he lived for forty-seven years. He was the first person in that vicinity to receive a deed for his property. In 1850 Mr. Trowbridge returned to Maine and brought out his father and three sisters to share his home in Tioga county. To Mr. and Mrs. Trowbridge were born ten children, five sons and five daughters, six of whom are living, viz: Henry O., Sarah A., Loren E., deceased; Roanna A., Fannie A., George E. and Samuel E.,, both deceased; Georgiana, Lemuel A., and Hannah Ettie, deceased. Mr. Trowbridge always took an active interest in educational matters, and was also a firm supporter of the government during the dark days of civil strife, sending a substitute to the army to assist in defending the flag. When the railroad was built through Jackson township, he deeded to the company a site for a station, as well as the right of way through his land, and in his honor the station was named Trowbridge. A postoffice was also established there bearing the same title, the only one in the United States of that name. When the question of dividing Tioga county was being agitated, Mr. Trowbridge was largely instrumental in defeating the scheme, securing 201 signers in opposition to it. He served as school director for nine years, and although not active in politics, always fulfilled the duties of a good citizen. He was kind and charitable to the poor and needy, and while enjoying the fruits of his early industry, he also enjoyed the confidence and esteem of the community up to his death, June 10, 1896.
Richard J. Stilwell was born in Rutland township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1831, a son of Clark Stilwell. His father was a native of Tomkins county, New York, and located at Daggett’s Mills, where he engaged in lumbering, and later purchased a farm which he cleared and improved. He married Mary Searles, who had seven children: Marvin, Richard J., Sarah L., Herman C., Mary, Electus C. and Selina. He reared this large family, and died in 1878. Richard J. grew to manhood in his native township, obtaining a limited education in the common schools of the district. In 1854 he married Laura A. Everett, a daughter of William and Laura Everett, early settlers of the county. When Mr. Everett and his wife first located in the dense forest, it was customary for his wife to carry a horn to notify her husband in case of being lost. she also often punched the burning log heap at night to make it blaze brightly, for the purpose of driving away the howling wolves that surrounded their lonely cabin. Mr. Everett was a manufacturer of shingles, also cleared up a farm, and aided in cutting a road through the forest from Millerton. After his marriage, Mr. Stilwell located near his father’s home, in Rutland township, but in 1856 purchased his present farm, on which he has since resided. Mr. and Mrs. Stilwell are the parents of nine children, three sons and six daughters, viz: Emerson, Mary E., William, Frank, Elnore, Lena, Bell, Jessie and Anna L. The parents and most of the children are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. Stilwell is an active member of the Republican party, and has filled the office of township clerk for several terms. By industry and judicious management he ahs become one of the substantial citizens of the township, and is surrounded by the usual comforts which a successful life affords.
George M. Hurd was born in Knoxville, Iowa, April 8, 1858, a son of Elijah S. and Nancy (Benson) Hurd, of Sullivan county, New York. His father was a son of Solomon Hurd, a hotel keeper of Warsaw, New York, and removed to Marion county, Iowa, in 1820. He was the first brick manufacturer of that State and demonstrated the fact that bricks could be made from the common clay of the soil of Iowa. Elijah S. Hurd was an honored and respected citizen of the State, and one of its representative men. In early life a Whig, he was identified with the Republican party from its formation, took a prominent part in the political history of the Territory of Iowa, and was one of the delegates that assisted in framing the state constitution. An ardent Abolitionist, his home was a station on the Underground Railroad, where many a fugitive slave was assisted in their flight for liberty. Mr. Hurd filled many offices, among others those of state senator and lieutenant governor of Iowa. He died in 1878, and his wife, in 1888. They reared four sons and three daughters. George M. was the second son and received his primary education in the schools of his native town. He later attended Central University, and graduated at Epworth Seminary in 1882. Becoming interested in the life insurance business, he organized a company at Dubuque, Iowa, in 1883, to do business in Iowa and Minnesota. He was a director in and manager of the company and resided in Dubuque one year. Removing to Minneapolis he organized the Citizens Mutual Life Insurance Company in 1885, which is yet doing business, and was an officer in the company until 1889. In that year he became interested in the American Building and Loan Association, of Minneapolis, with which he was identified for two years, when he disposed of his stock and removed to Chicago. Here he bought an interest in the American Investment Company of that city, of which he was elected treasurer, but at the end of one year he sold out and settled in Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Purchasing the old Everett homestead in Jackson township, he has since so improved it as to make it one of the model farms in the county. In the autumn on 1891 he went to California, where he became interested in the Pacific States Savings and Loan Company. After an absence of one year he returned to his home, and in May, 1893, organized the Elmira Mutual Building and Loan Association, which has since done a large business in this locality. He was a director in and manager of this company up to 1895 when he resigned and became connected with the Guarantee Savings, Loan and Investment Company, of Washington, D. C. Mr. Hurd was married August 14, 1884, to Mary E. Stilwell, a daughter of Richard J. Stilwell, of Jackson township, Tioga county. Five children have been born to this union, viz: Walter E., Jerome S., George Ralph, Victor Hugo and Mary E.
Putnam C. Sisson, a son of Theodore H. and Nancy A. (Eggleston) Sisson, of Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, was born in that township on November 13, 1852. He attended the common schools of his neighborhood, and lived with his parents until after his majority. On May 22, 1883, he married Carrie E. Rockwell, a daughter of Philander W. and Salina S. (Palmer) Rockwell, of Covington township, and located on a part of a tract of land which his father had purchased, and has cleared and improved the same. He has since given his attention to general farming, in which he has been fairly successful, with the exception of four years that he was engaged in the lumber business at Williamsport, where he removed in the spring of 1889. Mr. and Mrs. Sisson are the parents of two children, Ivan R. and Lina E. They are members of the Disciples church, of Williamsport, and take an active part in church and Sunday-school work at Jackson Summit, where they now reside. They were formerly connected with Jackson Summit Lodge, I. O. G. T., which has since passed out of existence. In politics, Mr. Sisson is a Republican. He was a member of Seely Creek Lodge, I. O. O. F., and later a charter member of Jackson Summit Lodge, of the same society. He is also connected with Mitchell’s Mills Grange, No. 912, P. of H., in all of which societies he takes an active interest.
Alfred B. Hazen was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, March 11, 1837, a son of James R. and Roxy Ann (Reed) Hazen. When he was about seven years old his parents removed to Tioga county, New York, where he grew to manhood, receiving a common school education. He subsequently engaged in the manufacture of lumber in that county, which business he continued until the breaking out of the war. On November 1, 1855, he married Rachel A. Leonard, a daughter of Robert Leonard, of Tioga county, New York, who has borne him two children, viz: William H., born June 7, 1856, and died April 19, 1865, and Stella A., born October 8, 1858, now the wife of Henry Friends, of Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania. Mr. Hazen enlisted in Company G, Fifth New York Cavalry, December 23, 1861, and served with the Army of the Potomac and in the Shenandoah valley. He was wounded in the leg at Brandy Station, in June, 1862, and in the right arm at Spottslyvania, May 12, 1864. He was in hospital on account of these wounds about one month after each occurred. He participated in all of the battles in which his regiment was engaged up to the close of the war, and was discharged at York, Pennsylvania, May 24, 1865. Returning to his home in Tioga county, New York, he removed in the spring of 1866 to Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he had purchased a farm the previous autumn, on which his son-in-law, Henry Friends, now lives. Mr. Hazen cleared and improved this property, and now makes his home with his daughter, Mrs. Friends, whose husband has charge of the farm. Mrs. Hazen died December 24, 1888. Mr. Hazen is a Republican, and has filled the office of township supervisor. He is a member of Millerton Lodge, No. 935, I. O. O. F., of Millerton, and of Jackson Encampment, No. 31, I. O. O. F., of Daggetts. He is also connected with Charles W. Deming Post, No. 476, G. A. R., of Millerton; with Mitchell’s Mills Grange, No. 912, and Pomona Grange, No. 30, of Wellsboro.
Benjamin O. Wheeler was born in Jackson township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, May 31, 1825, but went to Caton township, Steuben county, New York, in youth, and lived there until 1874. He then returned to Jackson township, and settled on the farm still owned by his son, Marion H. He followed farming as a life vocation. On November 8, 1846, he married Armeda, a daughter of William and Hannah (Kelly) Strock, then residents of Orange county, New York, but later of Caton. Three children were born to this union, as follows: Amanda M., who died at the age of fourteen; Marion H. and Jason C, both residents of Jackson township. Mr. Wheeler and wife were originally members of the Free Baptist church, but in their later years became Adventists. He died February 14, 1878, and his wife, September 12, 1894.
Marion H. Wheeler, eldest son of Benjamin O. Wheeler, was born in Caton township, Steuben county, New York, October 26, 1851. He attended the common schools of his district, and lived with his parents on the farm until after his majority. On September 10, 1873, he married Mrs. Esther Millard, widow of William Millard, and daughter of William and Hannah (Hudson) Rathbun, of Collinsville, Connecticut. She was the mother of two children by her first marriage, viz: Ida A. deceased, and Effie A., who lives at home. There has been no issue by her present marriage. In 1874 Mr. Wheeler moved to an unimproved farm in Jackson township, Tioga county, belonging to his wife, where they have since lived. He has cleared and improved the land, erected substantial building, and brought the farm under general cultivation. Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler are members of Mitchell’s Mills Grange, No. 912, P. of H., of which he has been a trustee two years, during which time the present Garnge Hall property was purchased.
Harry T. Graves, editor of the Millerton Advocate, was born at Covington, Tioga county, March 26, 1847, and is the eldest son of Thomas Graves. He was educated in the common schools of his native town and assisted his father in the hotel business at Covington during his boyhood days. In October, 1862, he enlisted in Battery G. Third Pennsylvania Artillery, and re-enlisted April 2, 1864 in accordance with the general order so allowing, in Company E, One Hundred and Eighty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, then being organized. He was wounded at Fort Darling, May 16, 1864, but participated with his regiment in the battles of Cold Harbor, Siege of Petersburg, Mine Explosion, Fair Oaks, Fort Harrison, Chapin’s Farm and other engagements, and was discharged at Lynchburg, Virginia, November 13, 1865, with the rank of sergeant, his term of enlistment having expired and the war ended. Mr. Graves opened a job printing office in Blossburg in 1868, and January 1, 1870, issued the first number of the Blossburg Register, his brother, Fred, now editor of the Tioga Argus, being connected with him in its publication after the first three issues, under the firm name of Graves Brothers. The office was destroyed by fire in 1873, but within three weeks the paper was again issued with new material. He remained in the Register office until the fall of 1876, when he sold out and removed to Covington. In October, 1877, he resurrected the Millerton Advocate. There was no material of any value in the office, and his first issue was printed at Tioga. He put in a newspaper and job press, and for nearly twenty years has issued the Advocate regularly and enjoys a good circulation. Mr. Graves is a member of Deming Post, No. 476, G. A. R., in which he filled the position of commander four successive terms from date of charter; is also a member of Wellsboro Encampment, No. 105, U. V. L., and Millerton Lodge, No. 935, I. O. O. F. On December 23, 1871, he married Maggie A. Doud, of Covington, who died January 15, 1890. Three children were born to this union. The eldest, Nellie, died in August, 1890; Harry D., died February 9, 1894, and Fritz K. survives. Mr. Graves is an ardent Democrat, and one of the well-known newspaper men of Tioga county.
Daniel N. Lucy was born at Big Flats, Chemung county, New York, in 1865, and attended the public schools of his native place. At the age of seventeen he began working at the trade of a painter and finisher of hard woods, which business he followed in Elmira, New York, for a period of eight years. He then located in Millerton, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he conducted a general store for a few years, and then resumed his former business. Mr. Lucy became a member of Millerton Lodge, No. 935, I. O. O. F., in 1893, has passed through the several chairs, and is now chief officer of the lodge. In all matters pertaining to the order he takes a deep interest, and is one of the working members of the society. In politics, he is a Republican.
James R. Sheldon was born in Sussex county, New Jersey, July
3, 1845, a son of Charles and Mary Ann (Roloson) Sheldon, natives of New
Jersey, and of Holland descent. His father was a blacksmith in early life
and later a farmer. In 1864 the family located at Aspinwall Corners, Bradford
county, Pennsylvania, where the mother died. The father died in Elmira.
They were the parents of six children, viz: James R., George, William,
Ellen, Martha A., and Laura Ann. The subject of this sketch was educated
in New Jersey, and has devoted his principal attention to farming. He purchased
a farm of 130 acres in Jackson township, which he cleared and improved,
but now resides in Millerton. Mr. Sheldon is interested in the Keystone
Suspension Fence, which he manufactures and sells principally in Tioga
county. He claims it is one of the best, cheapest and most satisfactory
fences in the market. Mr. Sheldon was married in Troy, Bradford county,
to Helen M. Soper, a daughter of George W. Soper. They are the parents
of three children, named as follows: Grace B., wife of Charles Satterlee;
Walton C., and Leah M. In April, 1865, Mr. Sheldon enlisted in the Union
army, but was soon after honorably discharged on account of sickness. In
politics, he is a Democrat, and takes an active interest in public affairs.
He is one of the well-known business men of the community in which he lives.