Dennis Morgan was born in Blanford, Hampden county, Massachusetts, in 1801, a son of Simeon and Elizabeth (Sewell) Morgan, of the same state. His father was a native of Wales, and a farmer by occupation. He followed his son to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he died at the age of seventy-four. In 1832 Dennis Morgan came to Sullivan township, Tioga county, where he bought a farm of 100 acres, which he cleared and improved. He married Betsy Black,
a native of Massachusetts, born in 1801. She bore him three daughters and one son, named as follows: Laura Ann, wife of Elliot Rose; Jane E., who married Russell B. Rose; Maryett, who married D.D. Miller, and Fordyce S. Mr. Morgan and wife were members of the Baptist church, and died in that faith. He took a deep interest in church work and acted as clerk for many years. In politics he was a Whig. He was captain of a local militia company, and was a man of soldiery bearing.
Noah Rumsey, Sr., was born in Fairfield, Connecticut, March 20,1768, and was a son of Isaac Rumsey. His grandfather, Joseph Rumsey, was a son of Robert Rumsey, a grandson of William Rumsey, and a great-grandson of Robert Rumsey, Sr., who settled in Connecticut in 1645. Noah grew to man-hood in his native county, and married Susannah Cudworth, who bore him a family of twelve children, eleven of whom grew to maturity, as follow: Mr. Sally Austin, Aaron, Noah, Mrs. Deziah Grandy, Leander D., Orlando S., Jesse C., Mrs. Olivia DeWitt, Joseph, Ameda and Abigail, all of whom are dead. Mr. Rumsey came from Hubbardton, Vermont, to Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania , in 1807. He built the first grist-mill in this section of the county, on the site of Mainesburg, which he operated for a few years and then sold it. He was a Jeffersonian Democrat, but took no active interest in public affairs. He died May 19, 1839, and his wife died twelve or fifteen years later, leaving numerous descendants.
Aaron Rumsey, oldest son of Noah Rumsey, Sr., was born in Hubbardton, Vermont, April 7, 1803,and was four years old when his parents settled in Sullivan township, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, assisting his parents in clearing the farm and enduring the hardships of pioneer life. On April 27,1837, he married Orilla Fairchild, a native of Connecticut, born August 15,1815, to which union were born the following children: Adelaide, deceased wife of Lewis B. Lucas; Jesse, of Sullivan township; Adalena, wife of Capt. Homer J. Ripley; Adaline M. who lives with her mother on the old homestead; Ameda S., wife of Volney Ripley; Martha M., deceased ; Emery J. and Daniel F., both residents of Sullivan; Julia Ann, wife of Roswell P. Ripley, and Fremont, deceased. Mr. Rumsey was prominent in the early militia, in which he held the rank of major. He was a staunch Republican, in politics and filled several local offices. During his early manhood he followed lumbering as an occupation, and was one of the prosperous farmers and leading citizens of his township. He died July 11, 1886.
Emery J. Rumsey was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, July 14, 1852, and is the second youngest son of Aaron Rumsey, and grandson of Noah Rumsey, Sr. After completing a common school course, he spent two terms in the State Normal School at Mansfield. He then engaged in clerking in the only general store in Mainesburg at the time, which he followed one year, and then removed to the farm upon he has since lived, located three miles east of Mainesburg. On December 17, 1879, he married Ella Reynolds, a daughter of Thomas Reynolds, of Sullivan township. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Mainesburg, and he is connected with Mainesburg Grange . Mr. Rumsey is an unswerving Republican, and firmly believes in the principals of that party, especially the doctrine of high protection for American industries.
Noah Rumsey, Jr., was born in Hubbardton, Vermont, August 4, 1805, and was but two years old when his parents settled in Sullivan township, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood assisting his parents in the home duties and undergoing the trials and hard ships to pioneer days. On February 20, 1834, he married Sally A. Gitchell, of Sullivan township, who became the mother of twelve children, viz: Mrs. Mary Miller, Charles M., Mrs. Olivia Jones, deceased ;Joseph B., and David N., the last deceased; Mrs. Elizabeth Lovell, Aaron L., Mrs. Rosina D. Bardwell, Elmina, deceased; Eli G. and two that died in infancy. Like his father, he was a staunch Democrat, and both he and his wife were members of the Cherry Flats Baptist church. Mr. Rumsey died November 24, 1859, and his wife March 21, 1887, aged seventy- four years.
Charles M. Rumsey, eldest son of Noah Rumsey, Jr., was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, July 30, 1837,and was reared upon the homestead farm. On November 1, 1861, he enlisted in Company C, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry. At Lebanon, Virginia, May 5, 1862, his horse was shot from under him, and in falling broke several of his ribs. He was so severely injured that he was confined to the hospital three months, and never fully recovered. During his confinement in the hospital he was taken prisoner, but was paroled the following day. Upon leaving the hospital he was on detached duty, as clerk to the division commissary, and was finally discharged from the service November 1,1864. Returning to his home in Sullivan township, he resumed farming, which occupation he has followed up to the present . Mr. Rumsey was married March 27,1866, to Matilda A. Gifford, a daughter of William Gifford, of Richmond township. Three children were born to this union, one of whom died in infancy, the others being as follows: Clark, born January 9, 1871, married Daisy Levalley, of Covington, November 16, 1892, and had one child, Matilda, and died February 18, 1894; and Ralph, born February 9, 1873, who died March 4, 1874. Mrs. Rumsey died May 30, 1884, and he was again married February 17, 1886, to Angeline Ely, a daughter of Frederick and Sally Ely, of Charleston township. Mr. Rumsey is an ardent Democrat, and served as county commissioner one term. He also filled the offices of supervisor ,constable and collector of his township. He and family are members of the Disciples church, of Mainesburg, and he is connected with Mansfield Post, No.48, G.A.R., and Sullivan Grange, No. 84,P.of H.
John Maine was born in Scipio, New York, November 29,1779, and came to Tioga county ,Pennsylvania, in early manhood, locating in Lawrence township. About 1825 he settled near the site of Mainesburg, which village was named in his honor. He was a miller by trade, and always followed that business or farming. On December 25,1808, he married Nancy Spencer, a daughter of Uriah Spencer, to which union were born fourteen children, viz: Alexander, Horace S., Mrs. Celia Rose, Samuel, Harriet, Uriah E., a resident of Missouri; Mrs. Deborah Phelps, Andrew J., George D., Mrs. Fannie A. Green, Edwin R., Mrs. Sarah Richards, a resident of Nelson, Tioga county; Eleanor M., and Charles R. Of this large family only three are living, Uriah E., Edwin R. and Mrs. Sarah Richards. Mr. Maine was a Democrat in early manhood, subsequently joined the Free Soil Party, and later entered the Republican ranks, Both he and wife were members of the Baptist church, and he was also connected with the Masonic order. Mr. Maine died December 17, 1857, and his wife , September 21, 1873.
George D. Maine, physician and surgeon, sixth son of John and Nancy Maine, was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, July 24, 1826.He attended the district schools in boyhood, was a student at the old Troy Academy, and afterwards entered the Medical Department of the University of Buffalo, from which institution he graduated in the class of 1860. He commenced practice at Austinville, and one year later located in Mainesburg, Tioga county, where he continued in the active duties of his profession for thirty-six years. When the call for troops came, Dr. Maine enlisted in the One Hundred and Ninety-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served as assistant surgeon of that regiment until mustered out, in August, 1865, when he resumed his practice at Mainesburg. Dr. Maine married Jane E. Gregory, of Elmira, New York and reared two daughters both married: Mrs. Kate M. Holcomb, and Mrs. Grace D. Cudworth. Mrs. Maine died in Philadelphia, January 2, 1896, where she had gone for the purpose of having an operation performed . In politics, Dr. Maine was a staunch Republican, and firm in the support of the principles and measures of that party. He also belonged to the I.O.O.F. for many years. But his principle attention was devoted to his professional duties, in which he was very successful. Through the passing years he won the confidence and esteem of the community, both as a physician and a citizen, and was recognized as a man of high honor and strict integrity. He died at his home in Mainesburg, May 19, 1897.
Alvin B. Austin was born in Chenango county, New York, in 1800, and followed the occupation of farmer and mason. In 1820 he came to Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, locating at what is now Mainesburg. On January 8, 1824 he married Sally D. Rumsey, a daughter of Noah Rumsey, Sr., a pioneer of Sullivan . Seven children were born to this marriage, viz: Mrs. Ameda Shelton, deceased; Aaron , who resides in Nevada; Luther, a resident of Bradford, county; Leander R. deceased; Daniel B., who lives in California; Joseph B., deceased; and Jesse W., a resident of Mainesburg. Mr. Austin and family were adherents of the Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics he was first a Whig and afterwards a Republican. Mrs. Austin died March 11, 1878, and her husband, December 21, 1881.
Leander R. Austin was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, on the site of the Mainesburg church, June 28, 1831, and was the third son of Alvin B. and Sally D. Austin. With the exception of a short period that he clerked for his uncle, L.D. Rumsey, in a store , he followed agriculture until 1876, when he embarked in merchandising at Mainesburg, in partnership with Baldwin Parkhurst. In 1880 they dissolved partnership, and in 1882 he purchased H. E. Bartlett’s dry goods and grocery store, which he sold to R. W. Rose in 1884. On June 26, 1884, he bought the drug store of Dr. I.N. Wright, and converting it into a grocery and hardware store, he formed a partnership with Capt. Homer J. Ripley. In 1886 he sold his interest to Capt. Ripley, and in 1888 he entered the employ of the Keystone View Company as salesman, in which capacity he acted until 1890 when he became a partner in the business and so continued until his death, October 9, 1893. Mr. Austin was twice married. His first marriage occurred in 1857, to Rebecca Brown, of Covington, who died in 1876. On February 20, 1878, he married Mittie E., a daughter of P.P. Smith, of Sullivan township, who bore him one daughter, Ethel L., born February 10, 1892. L. Emery Austin, third son of Jesse W. Austin , became a member of the family of Leander R. and Mittie E. Austin April 10, 1880, and March 5, 1890, he married Miss Minnie Rumsey. They have one daughter, Leah Graice, born August 1, 1895. Mr. Austin was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church of Mainesburg, and also of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F.
Joshua Smith came from Tompkins county, New York, to Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1824. Shortly before, he married Lydia Clark, of the first-named State and county, and they came to Sullivan township together and commenced pioneer life in Tioga county. Seven children were born to them in this county, named as follows: Dennis, deceased ; Philetus P., Ephraim C., Burinthia, who was scalded to death; Joshua, who was burned to death in a coal fire when an infant; Mrs. Olive Squires, and Mrs. Diantha Watkins. Mrs. Smith died in 1840, and he was again married in 1842, to Diadama Roblyer, who became the mother of one daughter, Lydia , since deceased. Mr. Smith was an ardent Republican and both he and his wife were members of Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church. He died in 1859, and his wife, December 1, 1846.
Philetus P. Smith was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, January 13, 1825, and is the eldest living child of Joshua and Lydia Smith. He obtained a good common school education, and subsequently taught for fifteen years in Sullivan township, during the winter seasons, with the exception of one term in Rutland. In the summer months he followed farming, and since giving up teaching he has made farming his occupation. He married Roxie E. Scouten, of Sullivan township, and is the father of eight children, viz: Mrs. Elizabeth Rumsey, Mrs. Frankie Leiby, Mrs. Mittie E. Austin, Mrs. Florrie E. Maynard, Mrs. Jennie Bartlett, Mrs. Vinie L. Smith, H.P., and one that died in early youth. Mr. Smith is an active Prohibitionist, has been a school director for twenty-four years, and has also filled the office of township auditor. He and family are members of Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church, in which he has been a class leader, steward and trustee for about twenty-five years. Some years ago he was a member of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F. Mr. Smith is recognized as one of the intelligent and progressive farmers of his native township.
Arad Smith came from New York state to Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1824, bringing with him his young wife to share the hardships and trials of pioneer life. He was married in Mew York, in April 1822, to Margery Ganoung, who became the mother of six children, as follows: Charles G., Mrs. Phoebe Palmer, Levi, deceased: Mrs. Sally Chandler, deceased; Albert, and Mrs. Louisa Nash, deceased. Mr. Smith fsettled in the midst of the primitive forest, erected a log cabin, and went to work bravely to make for himself and family a home, in which undertaking he was successful. In politics, he was a Jeffersonian Democrat, and in religion, a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Elk Run. He did not believe in secret societies , consequently never became a member of any of them. Mr. Smith died in Mansfield, November 4, 1889, surviving his wife more than seven years, her death occurring January 1, 1882.
Charles G. Smith, eldest child of Arad Smith, was born in New York state, May 4, 1823, and was in his second year when his parents settled in Sullivan township, Tioga county. Here he grew to manhood, inured to the hardships of pioneer days, and has made farming his life vocation. In September, 1843, he married Sallie Chandler, of Sullivan township, to which union were born four children, viz: Mrs. Margery Richmond, Byron C., Mrs. Julia Tanner, deceased, and Fred I., who is now studying for the ministry. Mrs. Smith died April 9, 1872, and he again married October 8, 1873, to Emeline Brundage, who died April 7, 1879. Mr. Smith’s third marriage occurred November 19, 1879, with Rosilla Perry, a daughter of Marvin Perry. Her father was a son of Jonathan Perry, and married Laura Gaylord, of Vermont, who bore ham a family of six children. Marvin Perry died February 25, 1862, aged sixty-one years, and his wife October 17, 1873.Mr. Smith and wife are members of Elk Run Methodist Episcopal church, and in politics he is a Prohibitionist. He is also connected with the East Sullivan Grange, No. 821, P. of H. Mr. Smith began his business life comparatively poor, but to-day one of the prosperous citizens of the township.
Jacob Hulslander came from Tompkins county, New York , to Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, about 1831. He was married in Tompkins county, in May, 1805, to Elizabeth Bell, who bore him a family of ten children, viz: John, Isaac, David, Peter, William, Ezekiel, Jacob, Mrs. William Sweet, Mrs. Eliza Stewart and Maria, all of whom are dead except William, who lives in Steuben county, New York. Mr. Hulslander was soldier in the war of 1812, while his father served in the Revolution. In politics, he was a life-long Democrat, and in religion faith, a Presbyterian. He died upon his farm in Sullivan township, in May , 1849. His wife survived him until June 1853.
Peter Hulslander, fourth son of Jacob Hulslander, was born in Orange county, New York, April 17, 1813, and came with his parents to Sullivan township, Tioga county when about eighteen years of age. He was born and reared on a farm and made farming his life vocation. On October 16, 1834, he married Amanda Soper, a daughter of Roger Soper, of Bradford county, Pennsylvania. Ten children were born to this union, as follows: Elijah, a resident of Bradford county; William, deceased; Mrs. Mary Benedict, of East Charleston; Mrs. Ellen Benedict, of Bradford county; Prof. George F., of Boston; C.B., of Sullivan township; Mrs. Melinda Furgeson, of Liberty township; Winfield S., who lives in Scranton; Mrs. Charlotte Robbins and Mrs. Emma Colegrove, of Detroit, Michigan. William, George F. and C.B. were soldiers in the Union army during the Rebellion. Mr. Hulslander was first a Whig and later a Republican. He died in March, 1891, his wife having preceded him, February 6, 1886.
C.B. Hulslander was born on the old homestead in Sullivan township, Tioga county, June 19, 1847, and is a son of Peter Hulslander. In August, 1864, when but seventeen years of age , he enlisted in Company A. Two Hundred and Seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served in the battles of Fort Steadman, Petersburg, and several other minor engagements. He was honorably discharged in June, 1865. Mr. Hulslander was married November 21, 1869, to Janette Ferguson, a daughter of Uriah Ferguson , of Bradford county. Nine children were born to this marriage, viz: Fred and Eva, both deceased; Nellie, Thomas, Harry, Vera, Fannie, Burt and Morton. In politics, Mr. Hulslander is a Republican, and is a member of Roseville Post, No. 616, G.A.R.
Joshua Shaw was born in Abington, Massachusetts, in 1764, there grew to manhood and married Sarah Hawes, of the same place. In 1810 he came on foot to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in company with Noah Nash, and purchased 106 acres of land from Elijah Clark, located in Tioga valley, between Lamb’s Creek and Mansfield. Returning to his native State, he brought his family to his new home in Tioga county in 1811, and began the life of a pioneer. He was a carpenter, but followed farming the greater portion of his life. To Joshua and Sarah Shaw , were born seven children, viz: Mrs. Rhoda Burley, subsequently Barnes; Mrs. Sallie Ripley, Vardis, Mrs. Polly Cleveland, Rodney C., Deborah and Daniel M., all of whom are dead. The family were adherents of the Baptist church, and Mr. Shaw was one of the organizers of that society in Sullivan township, the first services being held at the house of Peleg Doud, eight miles distant, wither they traveled through the forest on horseback. In politics, Mr. Shaw was an enthusiastic Whig. He died May 24, 1842, aged seventy-eight years, His wife survived him eight years , dying May 13, 1850, in the eighty-third year of her age.
Daniel M. Shaw was born in Massachusetts, in 1808, and came with his parents to Tioga county, Pennsylvania, when about three years old. He grew to manhood upon the homestead farm, assisting his parents in the home duties, and attending at intervals the pioneer schools of the neighborhood. On January 22, 1835, he married Jane Seaman, a daughter of Gardner and Mercy Seaman, of Bradford county. She was born in that county December 8, 1811,and became the mother of eleven children, one of whom died in infancy. The others were named as follows: Charles Milton, Bryon M., who enlisted in 1861, in Company B, One Hundred and First Pennsylvania Volunteers, and died in the rebel prison at Florence, South Carolina, in 1865; Claudia and Flavius J., both deceased; Freeman, a resident of Sullivan township; S.G., who lives in Bradford county; Martha A., widow of R.H. Brodrick, and mother of two children, C. Ray and Robert M.; Mary, deceased; Mrs. Sarah M. Hagar., of Richmond township, and Mortimer, deceased; After Mr. Shaw’s marriage, he purchased ninety-acres of land in Sullivan township, to which he subsequently added until he owned 235 acres of as fine land as lays in Sullivan township. He was originally a Whig , but cast his fortunes with the Republican party in 1856, and remained so until his death. He served for many years as a school director , and was one of the useful citizens of the community. He was a member of the Universalist church, of Mansfield, and also of the Good Templars’ society, of Mainesburg. He died April30, 1884.His widow resides upon the homestead, now the property of her son, Freeman, and Mrs. Martha A. Brodrick, and at the ripe old age of eighty-five years, confidently await the call to eternal life.
Freeman Shaw was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, November 28, 1843, and is a son of Daniel M. and Jane Shaw. After completing a common school course, he settled down to work upon his father’s farm, and has since devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits. He makes a specialty of dairying, and is one of the most successful and substantial citizens of the township. In politics, he is an active worker in the Republican party, but refuses to accept or hold office of any kind. He is a member of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F.; also of Mainesburg Grange, No. 84, P. of H., and is one of the enterprising farmers of his native township.
Charles Milton Shaw, eldest son of Daniel M. and Jane Shaw, born in Richmond township, Tioga county, July 24, 1836, and was reared to manhood upon his father’s farm. In 1855 he started on a trip west, by way of the Great Lakes, and located in Marquette county, Wisconsin. He remained in that section of the country three years, and then returned home, via the Mississippi and Ohio rivers to Pittsburg, and thence overland. He settled down to farming, which occupation he has since followed. He now makes a specialty of dairying, having at all times from fifteen to twenty head of cattle on his farm. On December 29, 1859, Mr. Shaw married Melissa R. Mabie, a daughter of Levi Mabie, of Sullivan township. Her father was a captain in the Seventh New York regiment in the war of 1812. Eight children were born to this union, viz: Nettie R., born April 23, 1861, who married S.A. Smith, of Middlebury, November 22, 1882, and has two children, Maude E. and Ralph M.; Bertha A., born April 10,1863 , who married Fred Bryan, January 1, 1884, and has one child, Ross E.; Charles M., born February 22, 1866, who married Ada Dewey, June 8, 1887, and has one child, Mabel; Elmer M., born May 14, 1870, who married Florence Tiers, June 17, 1891, and has two children , Archie N. and Oscar; Archie E., born November 15, 1872. and died January 15, 1881; Nellie E., born July 11, 1876, and died January 5, 1881; Leon G., born November 7, 1880 and Homer R., October 28, 1883. Mr. Shaw and family attend the Universalist church, and in politics, he is a staunch Republican. He is a charter member and one of the oldest living Past Grands of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F., and is Worthy Master of Sullivan Grange, No. 84, P. of H., to which Mrs. Shaw also belongs.
Northrop Smith was born in Fairfield county, Connecticut , May 4, 1819, and was a son of Rufus and Eunice (Wilson) Smith, early settlers of Sullivan township, Tioga county. The Smith genealogy runs as follows : John Smith came from England and settled in Ridgefield, Connecticut. His sons were Ebenezer, Samuel and Thomas. The children of the last mentioned were Jonah, Hannah, Jabesh, Gideon, Isaac, Thomas and David. Deacon Thomas Smith, son Thomas was the father of Gideon, who married Sarah Benedict, and died February 7, 1799. Their son Elijah, born December 29, 1735, married Elizabeth Benedict, and reared seven children, viz: Elizabeth, Elijah, Elnathan, Timothy, Isaiah, Phoebe , and Matthew. The last was born October 20, 1775, and married Abigail Benedict, who became the mother of seven children, viz: Samuel B., Rufus, Polly, Phoebe A., Northrop, Timothy and Nancy. Rufus was born May 10, 1799, married Eunice Wilson, and reared the following children: Northrop, Sarah, Abigail, Thomas , Amanda, Solomon, Elizabeth, Nancy, Mary A., Timothy, Matthew and Rube. Rufus was for many years a justice of the peace in Sullivan township, Tioga county. Northrop Smith came to this county with his parents and became a prosperous farmer and merchant. He was twice married. His first wife was Hannah J. Roblyer. His second wife was Sally A. Roblyer, a daughter of Hiram Roblyer. She was born July 29, 1822, in Warwick, New York, and id the mother of nine children, viz: Lorena and Diadama, both deceased; Mary E., Clarence A., Augusta, deceased; R. Bell, Joseph N., Augustus B., and Mark S. Of these, Mary E.,R. Bell, Joseph N. and Augustus B. are physicians. In religion, Mr. Smith was a Methodist, and in politics , a Republican. He served several terms as justice of the peace, and dies on the old homestead in Sullivan township.
Clarence A. Smith, eldest son of Northrop Smith, was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, December 7, 1852, and there obtained a common school education, He followed farming in Sullivan until 1880 , when he engaged in manufacturing of lumber, at Elk Run, Tioga county, in which business he still continues. He is a mechanic and also a millwright by occupation. Mr. Smith was married November 28,1875, to Edith Smith, a daughter of A.G. Smith, and has six children, viz: Louis N., Fred, Dana, Atchsee Marie, Helena and Joseph. In politics, Mr. Smith is a Republican, has filled a number of local offices, and takes an active part in public affairs. He and his family are connected with the Methodist Episcopal church at Elk Run.
Joseph R. Bradford came from Bristol, Rhode Island, to Smithfield, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, in 1822, and three years later removed to Columbia, Bradford county ,where he remained until 1830, when he settled in Rutland township, Tioga county, Tioga county. Subsequently returning to Columbia, he lived there until 1836, when he located in Sullivan township. He passed the remaining years of his life upon his farm in that town-ship, dying in June, 1867. In May, 1822, Mr. Bradford married Mary Monroe, of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, who bore him four children, viz: Levi D., deceased; Mrs. Mary A. Smith, Daniel, a resident of Bradford county, and Leonard J., a physician of Sullivan township. Mrs. Bradford died in February 1842, and her husband remarried April 16, 1844, to Mary Merrill, of Bradford county , who became the mother of two children: Mrs. Harriet E. Ashley, deceased; and William H., who lives at Wayne, Nebraska. The mother died in June, 1855, and Mr. Bradford subsequently married Harriet Gaylord, of Covington, Tioga county, who is now a resident of Wellsboro. In politics, he was first a Whig and later a Republican. In religion, he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Leonard J. Bradford, physician and surgeon, was born in Rutland township, Tioga county, October 12, 1833. After obtaining a common school education, he attended Troy Academy, and later entered Hahnemann Medical Institute, of Philadelphia. In November , 1862 , he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Seventy-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, and wad detailed to service in the Hospital Corps, because of his knowledge of medicine. He was discharged in June,1863, and then entered Penn Medical College, Philadelphia, from which he graduated in 1865. The same year he located in practice in Austinville, remaining there two years, and came to Sullivan township, Tioga county in 1867, where he has since been engaged in the active duties of his profession. On September 1, 1875, Dr. Bradford married Alice I. Dartt, of East Charleston, Tioga county , and has five children, named as follows: Bayard G., Carl M., Leonard J., Joseph D., and Chauncey, all of whom are living. In politics , the Doctor is an unswerving Republican, and has served as school director several terms. He is a member of Trojan Lodge, No. 306, F. & A. M., of Troy, also of the I.O.O.F., and both he and his family are connected with the Methodist Episcopal church of Elk Run. Dr. Bradford enjoys quite a lucrative practice , to which he devotes his principal attention, but is also owner of one of the finest dairy farms in the county.
Marcus Strange was born in Freetown, Massachusetts, December 24, 1798, and was a son of Capt. Charles Strange. His grandfather, John Strange, Jr., was a son of John Strange, Sr., a grandson of Lot Strange, and a great-grandson of James Strange, who came from Wales to Portsmouth, Rhode Island, in 1694, and the following year married Alice Sherman, of that place. Marcus was reared in his native county, and in 1828 married Hannah Burt, of Berkeley, Massachusetts, who bore him nine children, as follows: Esther, deceased; Mrs. Joanna Adams, deceased; Marcus, a resident of Bradford county; Charles, deceased; Ezekiel, of Bradford county; Mrs. Hannah Richmond, of Mansfield; Joseph, of Sullivan township; Mrs. Julia Rockwell, of Burlington, and Mrs. Ellen Burley, who resides in Bradford county. In 1838 Mr. Strange and family located in Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where he purchased the farm now owned by his son Joseph. Here he spent the remaining years of his life, dying November 27, 1889. Mr. Strange was a Democrat in politics, and in religion a member of the Baptist church.
Joseph Strange was born on the homestead farm in Sullivan township, Tioga county, January 3, 1841,and is the fourth son of Marcus Strange. He attended the public schools of his district during his boyhood years, and the n settled down to farming, which business he has followed up to the present. He makes a specialty of dairying, and keeps about twenty-five head of cows. He owns a fine farm in Gary’s valley, and takes great pride in keeping it in the highest state of cultivation. In politics Mr. Strange is a Democrat, and is recognized as one of the substantial farmers of his township.
Charles H. Strange, second son of Marcus and Hannah Strange, was born in Freetown, Massachusetts, March 9, 1835, and was about three years old when his parents came to Tioga county. He grew to manhood upon his father’s farm in Sullivan township, attending the district schools until he was sixteen years of age, after which he devoted his whole attention to farm work, which became his life vocation. Mr. Strange was married to Marietta Cooley, a daughter of Norman Cooley, of Springfield, Bradford county, November 24, 1864. Seven children were the fruits of this union, named as follows: Nellie D., born December 13,1865 and died February 13, 1882;Mary E., born June 20,1869, who married M.F. Rose, of Mansfield, August 6, 188; Joseph n., born February 18,1871, who married Jane Rose, October 17,1893; Charles H., born July 13,1873;John C., May 28,5875; Laura E., October 28,1881, and Julia H., October 12,1883. Mr. Strange was a member of the State Road Baptist church, also a Worth y Past Master of Sullivan Grange, P. of H. In politics , a staunch Republican, he served as justice of the peace for ten years, and held several other minor offices. He died February 11,1892. His widow is living on the old homestead in Sullivan township.
Charles H. Strange, second son of Charles Strange, was born July 13,1873, on the homestead farm in Sullivan township. After completing a common school education in his native township, he attended the State Normal School at Mansfield, and later the Elmira Business College, since which time he has devoted his attention to farming. He is an enthusiastic Republican; a member of the State Road Baptist church, and is connected with the Mainesburg Lodge, No.754, I.O.O.F.
Bateman Monroe was born in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, March 2,1815, and from the age of thirteen until he was twenty-five, followed the occupation of market gardener in Newport, Rhode Island. When twenty-five years old he left Rhode Island and came to Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, and settled upon his present farm in 1840. At the time the land was covered with forest, but to-day it is one of the finest farms in Sullivan township, made so through the energy and untiring industry of Mr. Monroe. He has been married four times. In December, 1836 he married Hannah Dyer, of Newport, Rhode Island, who lived but ten months, dying in October , 1837, In December,1838, he married Jane Lay, of Columbia county, New York, who became the mother of one daughter, now Mrs. Charlotte J. Besley, of Bradford county. Mrs. Monroe died March 18, 1863, and July 30th following , he married Susan Besley, of Troy, Bradford county, who survived until October 26,1885. Mr. Monroe was again married September 20,1886, to Eliza Ayers, a daughter of Abijah Ayers, of Mansfield, Tioga county. She died July 3,1896. In politics Mr. Monroe was a Democrat until 1856, when he became a Republican, since which time he has been an active supporter of that party. He has served about thirty years as a school director, and about twenty years as supervisor. He is now the only living charter member of Troy Protestant Episcopal church, and has been junior warden of that body many years. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and is Worthy Past Master of East Sullivan Grange, No. 821,P.of H., and was a charter member of Grange No. 84, of Sullivan township. During the Rebellion he was very active and prominent in raising money for the boys in blue, and did all in his power to assist the government throughout those dark days of civil strife. Mr. Monroe is one of the oldest citizens of Sullivan township and boasts of fact that he owes no man a dollar. He is recognized as a man of strict honesty and integrity, and is respected by the people of his adopted home.
Charles Smith came from Tompkins county, New York, about 1840, and settled near Mainesburg, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, purchasing a farm upon which he lived until his death, in October, 1885, aged eighty-six years. On September 10,1822, he married Elizabeth Thomas, of Tompkins county, New York, to which union were born ten children, five of whom are living, viz: Thomas and Isaac, both deceased; Jackson, Charles, deceased; George, Mrs. Mary Rumsey, Jonathan, William, Jason and James, the last two deceased. The mother died in November, 1876, aged sixty-seven years. Mr. Smith was a Democrat until 1856, when he supported Fremont for the presidency, and ever after was an earnest Republican. He held various offices in the township at different periods, and both he and family were adherents of the Methodist Episcopal church.
George Smith , fifth son of Charles and Elizabeth Smith, was born in Jackson, New York, December 29, 1832, and was in his eighth year when his parents located in Sullivan township, Tioga county. He attended the districts schools of his township for about two months in each year until he was fourteen years old, when he went to work on the farm. He was married March 1, 1852, to Mary Tiers, a daughter of Zopher Tiers, of Sullivan township, and has four daughters, viz: Josephine wife of C.H. DeWitt; Martha wife of J.H. DeWitt; Mrs. Lydia Case, of Troy, Bradford county, and Mrs. Ida Squires. In politics, Mr. Smith is a Democrat, and the family attend the Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church. He is a Worthy Past Master , of the East Sullivan Grange, No. 821, P. of H., and is a striking example of what industry and energy can accomplish when properly directed. Commencing life a poor boy, he is to-day the owner of four well- improved farms, and is recognized as one of the substantial citizens of the township.
Caleb H. DeWitt was born in New Jersey, in 1820, obtained but a limited education, and was put to work on the farm in early boyhood. After attaining manhood, he met and married Mary Alberts, a daughter of Peter Alberts, of Monroe county, to which union were born five sons, viz: Joseph H., W. F., John W., Calvin H., and Horace C., deceased. The family came from Monroe county to Bradford county, staying there about one year , and then removed to Sullivan township, Tioga county, in 1859, where the parents resided until death, the father dying in October, 1880, and the mother May 31,1894. They were members of Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. DeWitt was a Democrat, but always voted for the man he thought best fitted for the office.
Calvin H. DeWitt, fourth son of Caleb H. DeWitt, was born in Monroe county, Pennsylvania, October 29,1853, and was in his sixth year when his parents located in Sullivan township, Tioga county. He attended the common schools, and continued to work upon the homestead farm until 1873, in which year entered a store at Troy, Bradford county, where he remained about eighteen months. He then returned to the farm, and followed farming until 1890, when he was elected county commissioner, in which office he served three years. During his term the jail, Court house , and poor farm buildings were remodeled and fitted up with modern conveniences. On November 20,1873,Mr. DeWitt married Josephine Smith, a daughter of George Smith of Sullivan township, who borne him six children, viz: Fannie, George, Charles, Jennie, Ethel, and Josie. The family are adherents of the Mainesburg Methodist Episcopal church. In politics, Mr. DeWitt is a Democrat, and is also a member of the K. of P., of Wellsboro. He is one of the enterprising citizens of the county, and is held in high esteem by his friends and neighbors.
James Lay, youngest son of Edward Lay was born in Sylvania, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, February 22,1837.He obtained a meagre education, and became a apprentice in the tinning establishment of Tabor, Young & Company, at Tioga, Tioga county in 1854. After serving a full term, he began working as a journeyman, which he followed a short time. On August 23,1857, he married Hannah Ruggles, of Sullivan township, Tioga county, and located at what is now known as Gray’s valley. Three children have been born to this union, all of whom are living, Viz: Orrin E., George L., and William G. Mr. Lay is a staunch Republican, and has served as treasurer of his township for a number of years. He and family are members of the Free Will Baptist church, to which he is a liberal contributor. He is a Past Grand in Sylvan Lodge, No. 926, I.O.O.F., of Sylvania; is Worthy Past Grand in Sylvania Grange No. 821, and is also a member of the E.A.U. of Sylvania.
Orrin E. Lay, eldest son of James Lay, was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, September 25,1858, and was reared upon the homestead farm. After completing a common school education, he engaged in farming, which business he has followed up to the present. On November 2,1887, he married Emma C. Squires, a daughter of Lafayette Squires, of Sullivan township, and has three children: Sarah E., Mary H., and Esther L. Mr. Lay is an ardent Republican, and is also a member of Sylvan Lodge, No. 926, I.O.O.F., of Sylvania, and of East Sullivan Grange, No. 821, Patrons of Husbandry. Through one of the younger farmers of the township, Mr. Lay stands high among his neighbors as a man of energy and public spirit.
George E. Stauffer was born in Frederick county, Virginia, July 30,1834, and when he was about six months old his parents moved to Frederick county, Maryland. There he resided until the fall of 1854, when he went to Waynesborough, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, and two years later located in Troy, Bradford county, where he was employed in a hotel some three years. On June 1,1859, he moved to Sullivan township, Tioga county, where he was married February 7,1863, to Alice M. Dewey, a daughter of Sanford and Lorena Dewey. Mrs. Stauffer was born April 19,1848, and became the mother of five children, as follows: Hamilton S., Mack E., Maggie L., born December 12,1873, married Merton G. Rorabaugh, fireman on the Fall Brook railroad, who died December 12,1893, and his widow resides in Mainesburg, engaged in the millinery business; John G. and Grace J., twins, born December 1,1876, the former a farm living in Mainesburg, and the latter deceased. . Mr. Stauffer moved to Mainesburg April 1,1864, in which place he carried on blacksmithing until a short time before his death. During the first year of the war he served in Company C, Second Maryland Cavalry, as blacksmith, and afterwards with Falkner’s Brigade. He was captured at Frederick City, Maryland, in June,1862, but was paroled in September and returned home. Mr. Stauffer was a member of the Disciples church of Mainesburg. In September, 1857, he joined Madison Lodge No. 466, I.O.O.F., of Pottstown; was one of the charter members of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, of the same society, and at the of his death was one of the oldest living Past Grands of said lodge. In politics, he was a Democrat up to a recent date, but, during later years, he acted with the Prohibition party. He served in the school and council for many years.
Hamilton S. Stauffer, eldest son of George E. and Alice M. Stauffer, was born in Mainesburg, Tioga county, September 11, 1868. He attended the common school in boyhood and learned the blacksmith’s trade with his father. For a time he was a brakeman on the Fall Brook railroad, but not liking that calling he returned to his trade and worked with his father and brother, Mack E., in Mainesburg. Though formerly a Democrat, he is now a Prohibitionist. He has been a member of the Democratic central committee, and has served as inspector of election four years. Mr. Stauffer is a member of the Disciples church; is a Past Grand in Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F., and is also a member of Illion Encampment, No. 235, of Sylvania. He has represented his lodge in the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania, and, has always taken a deep interest in the I.O.O.F. society.
Mack E. Stauffer, son of George E. and Alice M. Stauffer, was born in Mainesburg , Tioga county, March 11, 1871, and was educated in the common schools. In the fall of 1890 he went to Ellsworth county, Kansas, and worked on a cattle ranch. In the winter of 1893 he returned to Mainesburg, entered his father’s shop and learned the blacksmith’s trade which he follows. On February 3,1892, he married in Kansas , to Laura M. Kuntz. They have one child, Gordon E.
James Lucas came from Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to Richmond township, Tioga county, in 1856, and settled on the farm where he passed the remaining years of his life. In 1821 he married Phoebe Bishop, of Tompkins county, New York, who bore him nine children, as follows: Uriah, Mrs. Millicent Daney, Mrs. Jane Greno, James , Mrs. Nancy Grandy, Furman, L.B., Mrs. Susan Clark, and Theodosia Strong. Mrs. Grandy , Furman, and L.B. are the only survivors. Mr. Lucas was a carpenter, and in pursuit of that calling and in farming he secured a competence. Originally a Democrat, he became a Republican prior to the war, and voted that ticket until his death. He was a member of the Masonic order, affiliating with lodge at Troy. Mr. Lucas died August died August 14, 1859, and his wife, February 15, 1876.
L.B. Lucas, son of James and Phoebe Lucas, was born in Wells township, Bradford county, May 1,1837, When seventeen years of age he went to learn the blacksmith’s trade with Van Loon, of Mainesburg, Pennsylvania. In 1858 he located at Daggett Hollow, where he remained over two years, and then returned to the old homestead, following agriculture in summer and his trade in winter. In 1885 he started a shop in Mainesburg, where he has since devoted his entire attention to his trade. In March, 1861, he married Adelaide Rumsey, of Sullivan township, to which union were born five children, viz: Carrie and Malcolm, both deceased; Mrs. Minnie Reynolds, H.G. and J.C. The mother died September 5,1870. Mr. Lucas was again married October 22,1871, to Lois Tice, of Tioga county, who has borne him three children, viz: Eva Clark, L.D. and Henry. In politics, Mr. Lucas is a Prohibitionist, and has served in the council of Mainesburg, and also as school director. He is a Past Grand of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F., and is also connected with Sylvania Encampment. Both he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal church of Mainesburg.
Rev. James A. James was born at Swansea, Wales, April 25,1860, and is a son of James James. His parents died in Wales, and he has two sisters and one brother who resides there. In his boyhood he attended the public school and Amminford Academy, and later entered Arnold College, at Swansea, from which institution he graduated in the spring of 1884. He then attended Haverford West Baptist Seminary, graduating in the spring of 1888,and was shortly afterwards ordained pastor of Pisgah church, at which place he remained until the fall of 1889, when he resigned this charge and made a tour of the principal cities of England .In the spring of 1890 he crossed the Atlantic to Philadelphia, arriving in that city about the middle of May. In 1891 he took charge of the Baptist church at Jeryn, Lackawanna county, Pennsylvania, remaining there until the fall of 1893, when he reigned to accept a call from the State Road Baptist church, in Sullivan township, Tioga county, of which society he has since been pastor. The church has prospered greatly under his administration, adding sixty-nine converts to its membership, and now numbers 164 members. Mr. James is a member of Mainesburg Lodge, No. 754, I.O.O.F., and in politics, he is an unswerving Republican.
John A. Knipple, physician and surgeon , [SRGP 88422] was born in Bedford county, Pennsylvania, August 22, 1840, there attended the public schools in boyhood and later entered the Parish Medical College, of Philadelphia , graduating from that institution in 1860. He practiced in Altoona and vicinity until January , 1893, when he located in Mainesburg, Tioga county, where he continued his professional duties until his removal to Bellwood, Blair county, in the spring of 1897. On September 6,1861, he enlisted in Company A, Eighty-fourth Pennsylvania Volunteers, and was discharged because of disability, in February, 1863. He re-enlisted February 23,1864, in Battery L, Third Heavy Artillery, and received his final discharge November 9,1865. He participated in the following battles: Bath, Blue Gap, Romney, Harper Ferry, Cumberland Mountains, Winchester, Fredericksburg, Port Royal, Cross Keys, Mechanicsville, Peach Orchard, Cedar Mountain, Haymarket, Second Bull Run, and Fairfax Court House. On December 25,1860, he married Martha Benton, a daughter of Jonathan Benton, of Bedford county, to which union were born seven children, viz: Jacob, Catherine, Deceased; Grant, William, Frederick, Harvey E., Deceased, and Julianetta. He married for his second wife Nancy J. Wertz, a daughter of William Wertz, of Loop, Blair county, to which union were born four children, viz: James Garfield, Ella R., Deceased; Grace and David. Mrs. Knipple died April 18,1890. Dr. Knipple belongs to the Mennonite church, and is an ardent Prohibitionist, giving that party his support at all times. He is a member of Mansfield Post, No. 48, G.A.R.
Jesse Smith was one of the first settlers of Rutland township, Tioga county, coming from Delaware county, New York, in the year 1808. He was compelled to cut his way through unbroken forest for several miles, as there were few settlers in this section of Tioga county at that early day. He brought with him his young wife, Annes, daughter of William Werden, of Delaware county, New York, and together they shared the trials and hardships of a pioneer life. They were the parents of twelve children, seven of whom are now living, viz: Morris, Mrs. Margaret Ashley, who resides in Minnesota; John, Tristam, William, George W., a resident of Missouri, and Warren. The deceased are Isaac, Mrs. Dolly Ann Wood, Leviza, Silas, and Jesse. Mr. Smith and wife were consistent members of Rutland Hill Methodist Episcopal church, of which he was a class leader and trustee for forty-five years. The first Methodist services in Tioga county were held in the double -log house of Jesse Smith in the year 1813. The preacher came from Springfield, Bradford county, and afterwards held services at Lamb’s Creek and Wellsboro, making a circuit of the three charges. In early manhood , Mr. Smith was an ardent Democrat , later changed to a Whig, and when the Republican party was formed he cast his fortunes with that organization. Mr. Smith died May 25,1871, aged eighty-six years, nine months, and fifteen days. His wife died January 25,1874, aged eighty-five years, two months and nine days.
Morris Smith, second son and eldest living child of Jesse and Annes Smith, was born in Rutland township, Tioga county, April 12,1809, and is the oldest living inhabitant born within the confines of the township. He has always followed agriculture, with the exception of a short period that he was engaged with his brother John in carpenter’s business. On February 3,1832, Mr. Smith married Matilda Gaylord, a daughter of Elijah Gaylord, to which union were born two children, viz: Erastus, deceased, and Sanford, who has charge of his father’s farm. Mrs. Smith died June 16,1872, and he again married December 10,1872, to Emeline Black, a daughter of John Black, of Steuben county, New York. He and his wife are adherents of the Rutland Hill Methodist Episcopal church, of which Mr. Smith has been a trustee for about forty years. In early manhood he was a Democrat, but became a Whig with his father, and is at present a firm believer in the principles of the Republican party. At different times he has refuse to accept offices tendered him, believing he could serve his party better as a private citizen.
William Smith, fifth son of Jesse Smith, was born in Rutland township, Tioga county, October 3,1818, grew to manhood in his native township, and has always followed farming. On August 20, 1843,he married Dorothy Allen, to which union were born four children, named as follows: Mrs. Alzima Wood, Mrs. Susan Wilson, Jesse and Mrs. Elizabeth Wheeler. Mrs. Smith died about 1855, and on March 1,1859, he married Eliza A. Loomis, a daughter of John Loomis. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of Rutland Hill Methodist Episcopal church. He is a Jacksonian Democrat, an ardent supporter of the principles of his party, and is one of the progressive citizens of his native township.
Reynolds Sixbee was born in Jefferson, Wisconsin, in the year 1819, and about 1840 came east and settled in Bradford county, Pennsylvania. He found employment with Major Daggett, whose daughter, Hannah, he married in 1841, and with his wife came on a sled to Rutland township, Tioga county, settling in the midst of an unbroken forest. He erected a cabin and began clearing the place now known as the Sixbee farm. In those days game was very abundant, and it was a common thing for him to go out and shoot a deer or two before breakfast. He had for playmates for his children five tame deer, two old ones and three fawns, and he very frequently used these deer for the purpose of trapping wild ones. In later years, Mr. Sixbee worked at blacksmithing and lumbering in connection with his farm duties. Of his seven children, two died in infancy, and five are living, viz: Mrs. Emma Horton, of South Creek, New York; Mrs. Sadie Horton, of Mansfield; Mrs. Della Lebarron; Floyd, and Mrs. Belle McConnell, of Rutland township. Mrs. Sixbee died February 11,1893, and her husband October 2,1895. In religion, he was a Methodist, and in politics an earnest Republican. He was one of the substantial citizens of Rutland township, and enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his neighbors.
Ulysses Chamberlain was born in Vermont, came to Tioga county in the year 1850, and purchased the farm on which his widow now resides, in Rutland township. He was for a short time engaged in lumbering in Cameron county, but the greater part of his life was passed upon his farm. In 1852 he married Charlotte Benson, a daughter of John Benson. Ten children were born to this union, nine of whom are living, viz: George, Thomas, John, Edward, David, Floyd, Charles, Nathan, and Frederick. Mr. Chamberlain was a Jacksonian Democrat, and a staunch supporter of Democratic principles. Through not a member of any church, he was a diligent student of the Bible to the day of his death.
Floyd Chamberlain, sixth son of Ulysses Chamberlain was born in Rutland township, Tioga county, March 22, 1862. He attended the common schools in boyhood, and later took charge of the homestead, which is now one of the finest farms in Rutland township. Like his father, Mr. Chamberlain is a staunch Democrat, but has firmly refused to accept office, though frequently tendered him. He is on of the leading citizens of Rutland, and stands high in the community where his whole life has been passed.
Laben L. Rockwell came from Bradford county, Pennsylvania, to Rutland township, Tioga county, in 1853, and bought a farm on what is known as Pumpkin Hill, where the remaining years of his life were spent. He was married in Bradford county, January 15,1821, to Mary Elliott, who bore him three children, viz: Philander, Mrs. Clarinda Harkness and Mrs. Lavina Doud. Mrs. Rockwell died September 14,1828, and he was again married July 16,1829, to Betsy Newell, of Troy, Bradford county. Two children were the fruits of this union, viz: Mrs. Mary Webster, and Sarah, deceased. On September 18,1833, the mother died, and Mr. Rockwell subsequently married Nancy Wilson, a daughter of George Wilson, and sister of Judge S.F. Wilson, of Wellsboro. Five children were born to this marriage, viz: Catherine and Rebecca, both deceased; Aletta, wife of Lafayette Gray; Almira, deceased, and Lascelle, of Columbia, Bradford county. Mr. Rockwell died on his farm in Rutland township, December 24, 1854. His widow survived him until January 19,1891. He was a staunch Republican, and the family were members of the Baptist church, in which faith he lived and died.
J. Mack Sweeley, son of David Sweeley, was born in Susquehanna township, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1852. He obtained a limited education in the common schools, and was reared on a farm. On February 25,1873, he married Emma Knoor, a daughter of Dr. Knoor, of Clinton county. Ten children have been born to this union, named as follows: Leonard, Nellie, Maude, Theresa, Ellen, Rose, Mable, Elsie, J. Mack, and one that died in infancy. The family are adherents of the Baptist church at Roseville. Mr. Sweeley is a member of Job’s Corners Grange, No. 1110, Patrons of Husbandry, and is also the charter Sir Knight Commander of Rutland Tent, No.87, K.O.T.M. Locating in Rutland township, Tioga county, in 1879, he has since been engaged in farming, and now makes a specialty of dairying, keeping at all times over forty head of cattle. In politics, Mr. Sweeley is an ardent Republican, and takes a deep interest in the success of his party.
Benjamin A. Harris, son of Levi B. Harris, was born in LeRoy, Bradford county, Pennsylvania, February 27,1852. He attended the common schools of his native place until 1866, when his parents removed to Warrensville, Pennsylvania. In 1868 he returned to LeRoy, where he learned the milling trade with his uncle, Amos Harris. In 1879 he came Rutland township, Tioga county, and in 1890 purchased the farm on which he now resides. He makes a specialty of dairying, sheep raising, and lumbering, and in the last four years he has manufactured and disposed of over 2,500,000 shingles. On November 11, 1879, Mr. Harris married Rosetta E. Colby, a daughter of James W. Colby, and has had one daughter , Nettie May, born December 17, 1880, and died January 27,1884. Mr. Harris is an ardent Republican, in politics, and is a charter member of Rutland Tent, No.87, K.O.T.M.
Rev. John C. Crowther was born in Dutchess county, New York, November 24, 1859, son of Joseph and Hannah Crowther. He received a common school education. When about seventeen years of age, he commenced evangelistic work, and continued in the same for about fifteen years, in and about New York. He took work in the Methodist Episcopal Conference, Elmira district, and was assigned to Millerton, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in which place he had gratifying success. He was next assigned to the circuit compromising the Methodist Episcopal churches at Roseville, Rutland Hill and Lawrence Corners, all within the boundaries of Tioga county. During his pastorate the church at Roseville has nearly doubled its membership, gaining 140 converts in the past two years. Mr. Crowther has also erected a neat parsonage and barn at Roseville, and both spiritually and materially his charge is to-day in a flourishing condition. On August 2,1882, he was married at Seymour, Connecticut, to Hattie E. Hickox, a daughter of Samuel Hickox, and a grand-daughter of Rev. Samuel Hickox, who preached the first sermon in the Methodist Episcopal church at Waterbury, Connecticut. Two children blessed this union, Fannie May, and Charles L., the latter deceased. After being an invalid for eleven years, Mrs. Crowther died February 9,1895. Mr. Crowther was again married February 11,1896, to Lena Walters, a daughter of John Walters. of Mansfield.
Hiram Johns was born in Sullivan township, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, in 1832. His father, Seely Johns, came from Massachusetts to Sullivan township, Tioga county about 1826, and spent the remaining years of his life in the county. He had a family of nine children, as follows: Sanford, James, and Hiram, both deceased; Sylvia, wife of W.A. Rockwell; William, Moses and Seely, all of whom dead; John B., a resident of Missouri, and Charles, who lives in Mansfield, Tioga county. Hiram Johns married Theresa Morehouse, a daughter of T.W. and A.M. Morehouse of Jersey City, New Jersey, to which union was born one son, Thomas W. During the war period, Mr. Johns was superintendent of schools of Tioga county. He later removed to Larned, Kansas, where he practiced law until his death.
Thomas W. Johns was born in Williamsport, Lycoming county, Pennsylvania, June 27,1869, and is the only child of Hiram Johns. He obtained a good common school education, and afterwards attended Alfred University. He then went to Larned, Kansas, where he studied law with his father, and was admitted to the bar in April, 1893. For a short time he practiced at Hutchinson, Kansas, and returned to Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in July, 1893. In April, 1894, he removed to Rutland township, Tioga county, and has since resided on a farm. Mr. Johns is a strong man of enterprise and public spirit. He makes the growing of poultry and fruit a specialty, and devotes his attention to agricultural pursuits.
Collins W. Soper was a native of Bradford county, Pennsylvania, where his parents were among the early settlers. His mother, during a trip to Elmira on horseback, was pursued and driven into a deserted house by a pack of wolves, and kept there all one bitter cold night. Soon after daybreak the following morning help arrived and she was enabled to proceed on her journey, not much the worse for of her adventure, except for nearly frozen. This incident illustrates the trials and hardships of pioneer life. When quite young, Collin W. attended school at Southport, New York, intending to enter a profession, but before he had completed his studies he was called home by his father to take charge of the farm. Mr. Soper possessed a natural tact for acquiring and saving, was very successful, and divided among his sons over 500 acres of land. He married Didamia Harris, a native of Vermont, and reared five sons, viz: Elwyn, Walter, Ward B., Llewellyn and Morton. Mr. Soper was a staunch Democrat, filled several township offices at different periods, and served one term as county commissioner of Bradford county. He died December 22,1893, aged seventy-six years. His wife survived him until September 25,1895.
Ward B. Soper was born in Bradford county, Pennsylvania, about 100 rods east of where he now lives, April 16, 1852, and is the third son of Collin W. Soper. He attended the district schools in boyhood , and later engaged in farming, working at the mason’s and painter’s trades at intervals. On December 1,1880, he married Isadora Sharpe, a daughter of Lewis Sharpe, of Orange county, New York, and has two adopted children, Laura May and Clara Belle, daughters of John B. Clark. Mr. Soper and his wife attend the Baptist church of Roseville, and, like his father , he is an ardent Democrat. He has never held an office or belonged to any secret organization, and is one of the progressive farmers of the township.
|Part One||Part Two||Part Three|