|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 firstname.lastname@example.org|
By - Sylvia Wilson - First published 1981, reprinted with permission of Sylvia Wilson
Note from Joyce - Since this was written 26 years ago, other farms have achieved Century Farm Status. Others that are on this listing, have been sold away from the family. If you know of more or can give up-to-date status of any of these, please notify Joyce so your comments can be added to the bottom of this page. Please reference this page by URL when you write.
At right - Overview of Besley Farm from 1960s Newspaper photo - Troy Gazette Register
The Bradford County Historical Society instituted a Century Farm Award in 1949. Leo Wilt, Director of the organization at that time, adopted the idea conceived by Dr. Ladd, Dean of the College of Agriculture of Cornell University in 1935. The requirement was that a Century Farmer must own, operate and reside on a farm which for a century or more has been continuously operated by his family. The certificate issued to the applicant is worthy of being framed and preserved for future generations.
At one time the Census Bureau of Agriculture considered a 'farm' as a property of three acres or more producing no less than $150 worth of garden, poultry, eggs or other bounty of the soil per year. Under this yardstick, countless country homes of city workers who tilled gardens and tended henhouses for their own nourishment were classified as farms.
Today, ten acres or more of land yielding at least $500 a year in farm product sales or on a property of ten acres or more used for family purposes, can be classified as a farm. Calling farms by their correct names may be a small thing but it is encouraging to the dirt farmer who sees farming as a lost trend in a mechanized age.
According to Stevenson Whitcomb Fletcher, known historian: "For more than a century, from 1725 until 1840, Pennsylvania was foremost among the colonies and states in the production of food. Her preeminence in agriculture during the formative years of the nation was due not only to the varied agricultural genius of the several nationalities that comprised her population but also to a rich heritage of land. Pennsylvania was the "bread-basket of the nation" because much of her soil was fertile and because her farmers were traditionally wise in the lore of land."
By 1790, two hundred families were settled in Bradford County. Before the close of the century, settlements in the valley were numerous. These pioneers were not only from the New England States, brought to the area by promises of a Garden of Eden by the Susquehanna Company but were also composed of many soldiers in Sullivan's army who when passing through the valley were impressed with the beauty of the area and had returned to settle in with their families.
The following information is intended to secure the list of century farmers who have responded to the request by the Bradford County Historical Society to list their farm and receive a Century Farm Certificate Award.
The names of the recipients can afford an invaluable source of genealogical information to families who are seeking roots in Bradford County as well as the historical media contained in some of the stories shared within each application.
1775 The Stalford Farm in Wyalusing Township. The Moravian Church had an Indian mission village below Wyalusing from 1765 to 1772. One of the Indian villagers was Job Chillaway who was left in charge when the village was abandoned in 1772. Being a smart Indian, he then secured a patent from the Penns for 652 acres of land which covered the former Moravian village. In May of 1775 he sold this tract to Henry Pawling of Montgomery County. His sons Benjamin, Jesse and William occupied the land in 1776. At the outbreak of the Revolution, they sided with the British and were given commissions in Johnson's Royal Greens. They never returned to their home.
About 1786, Henry Pawling's daughter Elizabeth married Joseph Stalford and he deeded the land to her upon his death. The Stalfords' moved to their new lands in the spring of 1792. Joseph built a log house and lived in it until 1796 when he erected a two story frame dwelling. The lumber for it was floated down the river from the mill at Shepards Creek above Tioga Point. In this home, two generations of Stalfords lived but it was destroyed by fire in 1851. At the death of Joseph Stalford in 1801, the land passed to the oldest son Benjamin. At his death in 1841, the farm passed to his oldest son Levi P. He was a man of prominence, being Associate Judge of the county and filling many local offices. Upon his death in 1881, the farm passed to his son Harmon P. and then to his son Charles B. who now operates it. Thus five generations of Stalfords have occupied the land of Job Chillaway, the "Friendly Indian."
1786 Kendale Farm Inc. in Wyalusing Township. Thomas Lewis purchased land in Merryall, Wyalusing Township and took title to it in 1788 from a Connecticut title and in 1806 from Pennsylvania title. In 1810 the second owner was Justis Lewis, the great-great grandfather of Edward P. Kennedy. In 1874, the third owner was Mary Lewis, Grandmother of Edward P. Kennedy and she was followed by the fourth owner, William B. Kennedy in 1917, father of Edward Kennedy. In 1933, Edward Kennedy became the fifth owner. Upon his death in 1978, his widow inherited the farm and with the help of her family continues to operate under the name Kendale Farm, Inc.
1789 Jonas Ingham II purchased land in Wyalusing under a Connecticut title. In 1809, his son John became the second owner, in 1857 his son Charles K. Ingham the third owner, in 1877 Edward C., the son of Charles was the fourth owner and in 1922 Charles E. Ingham, son of Edward was the fifth owner. A story attached to the application for a Century Farm Award applied for by Charles E. states the following: "As Mr. Robinson, a well-known surveyor was tracing the Dundee Manor line against the wishes of the people, Mr. Ingham, fearing real mischief, suggested that someone break the compass, which was done. Four men were arrested and taken to Philadelphia. Mr. Ingham went with them, taking all the blame. They were all dismissed and sent home without paying the costs."
1789 The Cranmer Farm in Monroe Borough & Township. "Samuel Cranmer came from New Jersey and settled here. His father, Modiah came and lived with him. Both are buried in Cole's Cemetery. Samuel's wife planted mustard in her garden to use in food. It spread rapidly and is still a nuisance on the farm. It has been pulled out by each generation then down to the great-great-great-grandson. Sarah, Samuel's wife, was visiting and coming home, broke off a locust for a cane. When she got home, she stuck it in the ground by her back door. She threw waste water on it and it grew. One day she saw that it was growing crooked so she broke the top out of it. Today it is a tall straight tree standing on the East side of the barn."
"Ashbel, son of Samuel married Mary Hastings Griggs who came here by ox cart from Connecticut. The division of the Cranmer farm happened when Samuel, who owned the flat and hill between Towanda creek to the Planter's family, divided the farm between his two sons, Ashbel L. and Enoch H. Ashbel. He moved to a town lot when his son Bernard A. was married. Ashbel sold horses to the County Commissioners to haul stone to build the County jail. April 16, 1836, Gov. Joseph Ritner, granted a charter to the Monroeton Methodist Church. Two of the trustees were Ashbel L. and Enoch H. Cranmer. Later, Enoch was presiding elder. The post is now called, District Superintendent. Bernard A. Cranmer was awarded a 75 year Sunday School medal for his faithful attendance."
"Bernard A. Cranmer was born and lived all his life on the farm. He died Sept. 4, 1942 at the age of 104 and one half years in the same room in which he was born. Bernard and Albert bought the first drop reaper in use in this section. First in use for gathering grain were sickle, scythe, cradle, drop reaper, twine binder, combine and corn husker. Fences were made of stone, rail, wire and now are electric."
"Bernard furnished a hickory log from his side hill for the log cabin inside the Towanda Historical Building. (Now 21 Main Street). In later years he cut and sawed virgin timber. Trees on the hill were pine, oak, hickory and dogwood. There was no maple, birch, beech and hemlock but the hemlock has come in now. Trees along the creek were butternut, buttenball, maple and willow. Locust was planted. Maple syrup and sugar were made from the hard maple trees."
"Animals on the hill were deer which were quite plentiful; red fox were also numerous. Pheasants, gray and black squirrels abounded and along the creek red squirrels and woodchucks were found. Quail and woodcock were on the hill along the creek. All kinds of both large and small birds were on the hill and along the creek. Flowers found on the hill were both true and false Solomon seal, pink moccasin, mountain pinks, trailing arbutus and a green jack-in-the-pulpit, yellow dog tooth violets, cardinal spike and forget-me-nots. There was a swamp on the hill. The view from the hill followed for miles around. The water on the farm came from good springs on the hill and still furnishes water for the house."
"The fish were suckers, bullheads, mullets, sunfish, ripple chubs and eels. There was a good swimming hole. Black and garter snakes were on this side of the creek but there were no poisonous ones. Bernard A. Cranmer raised no tobacco but grew wheat, corn, oats, buckwheat, rye, millet and potatoes. The animals raised on the farm were sheep, cows, oxen, horses, pigs, chickens and tame rabbits."
"Harley A. Cranmer, son of Bernard, remembers when the Barclay Railroad, later the S. & N. Y. was built along the foot of the hill and cut into the farm dividing it into two parts. During WW@, the rails were sold for scrap iron & a road route was built. The State line and Sullivan R.R., later Lehigh Valley was built on the other side of the farm and is still used to haul coal from the Bernice mine and freight to the stations between Towanda and Bernice."
The foregoing information appeared with the application for the Cranmer Century Farm Award.
1792 The Justus Gaylord farm in Wyalusing was a result of his return to the area after passing through when he was on the march with General Sullivan. He was impressed with the area and in 1785 returned to Wyalusing. In 1792 he purchased 900 acres of land and when his family married, he gave each a parcel of land. Ludlow Gaylord was one of the recipients. The date is not known. Ludlow Gaylord left his land to John L. Gaylord who was his son and the grandfather of Julia S. Friery from whom she inherited the land in 1958.
1794 Dan Russell, an Orwell pioneer, left Connecticut in the Spring of 1794 and with his wife and infant daughter settled in Sheshequin. He purchased land in the present Orwell township and began clearing it. He made his headquarters in Sheshequin and using a path of blazed trees, made his way to the new farm with enough provisions for a week or ten days. After a year, he had cleared enough for a crop and erected his cabin. He drove in a pair of cattle with a sled and his family to begin their life in the new home.
By prodigious effort, Dan Russell made his farm one of the best on the stage route from Towanda to Montrose. His daughter Lydia, born in 1798 was the first child to be born in the township. Dan Russell died in 1831 at the age of 81 years.
The farm descended to his son Nathaniel, then to his grandson Stephen, then to his great grandson William and finally to the great-great-grandson, Cleveland W. who is now occupying and operating the farm.
1794 Amasa Welles from Colchester, Connecticut came with his father to the Wyoming Valley and in 1774 settled in Wyalusing township. The father, James Welles was killed at the battle of Wyoming in 1778 and the mother fled to Connecticut. In 1794 the son Amasa came back to the Susquehanna and in 1794 settled along the Wyalusing Creek in Camptown. Here, he lived until 1817 when he moved to LeRaysville leaving the farm to his son Elijah. In 1846, Elijah divided the farm into three parts for his three sons. One part came to Calvin who passed it to his son Myron. Myron left it to his brother-in-law Leslie Barns. It is now owned and operated by Leland Barns, son of Leslie and Callie Camp Barns. The farm was called Manor Dundee.
1794 Elijah Towner was born in Connecticut, son of a veteran of the French Indian War. Elijah served in the Revolution under Arnold. After his discharge, he took a wife and moved to the new lands in Columbia County, New York. When he heard about the rich lands along the Susquehanna, he left in 1793 with his son Enoch to investigate. Arriving at General Simon Spalding's in Sheshequin, he left Enoch to work for the General and returned to Columbia County for the family. When he returned in 1794, Elijah brought the family across the Hudson and through the Catskills to the Susquehanna. Here he built a flat boat for the household goods but a partial capsizing lost much of the family's belongings. For the first year the little family lived in Sheshequin and then Elijah purchased 400 acres of land under Connecticut title over in what is now Rome township. His title proved to be worthless and he had to make a fresh start. He cleared 100 acres and put up a distillery which he operated for several years. In 1806 he traded his land to James LeRay for 300 acres on what is now known as Towner Hill. Here he settled and died in 1840. The farm passed to Enoch, his son, then to his grandson Alvin, on to Almerin a great grandson and is presently owned and operated by Howard W. Towner, a great-great-grandson.
1797 Major John Taylor purchased land in Wyalusing. He and his wife Deborah Buck had 17 children of whom only ten reached maturity. When John died in 1855, the farm passed on to his tenth son, Bascom. In 1865, Bascom built the present farm house using the stone chimney from the original old house built by Major John Taylor which contained three fireplaces. Upon Bascom's death, the farm passed on to his son Justus V. and then to Justus V. Jr. and finally to Justus and Kenneth whose children are the sixth generation to occupy the farm called Taylor Terrace.
1804 William J. Eaton with his brother Abel, came to Springfield Township to an area known today as Leona. They came from Massachusetts and purchased or leased lands in three tracts from the Drinker Estate of Philadelphia, probably on time payments since a deed was not given until the payments were completed in 1858. After William's death, the farm passed to his son Theodorus, then to his grandson Almond H. and finally to his great grandson Dick Eaton who still resides on the family farm. In the 1868 Atlas the farm was called Oakhill View.
1804 William Harkness, a Revolutionary soldier, came to Springfield Township from Massachusetts in 1804 and Purchased 300 acres of land. He passed part of this land on to his son James and then to his grandson Stephen D. Stephen D. Harkness was sent to the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1878 and in 1881 served as Treasurer of Bradford County and as Associate Judge for five years. Following his death, the farm passed on to his son Edson D. who served as County Commissioner from 1906 until 1909. The farm passed on to his daughter Neva Huntington, wife of Wayne L. Huntington.
Dick Eaton, whose family arrived in Leona, Springfield Township in 1804, relates that his people became aware of the Harkness family's presence in the wilderness of the area when their cow wandered down to the William Eaton homesite. This was a distance of about six miles.
1805 Reuben Shumway, a soldier of the Revolution, came from Steuben County, New York to Bradford County in 1801. He first settled in Wyalusing but came to Tuscarora township in 1805.The original warrant from the Commonwealth was for 412 acres.
Reuben was one of the guards who watched over Major Andre until he was hung. There is an interesting story which has been handed down concerning him. He was placed as a picket at a point where several soldiers preceding him had been shot. Reuben said to the officer of the guards, "You will hear my gun before morning." That night, an Indian covered with a hog skin, cautiously approached the sentry, a gun cracked, and a dead Indian was found the next morning.
At Reuben's death, the Shumhurst Farm passed to his son Cyrus, then descended to Reuben's grandson William and finally to Gerald Shumway, who now owns and operates the farm.
1805 Jesse Barnes was born in Blanford, Massachusetts, the son of Jesse Barnes, a Revolutionary soldier. He came to Orwell Township in 1805 and purchased a 150 acre tract of land which he cleared and improved. At the age of 43, he was killed while helping to raise the Horton Sawmill in Allis Hollow. His son Jesse Jr. came into the possession of the farm and raised a family of six children. Later in life he practiced medicine extensively as a country doctor until his death in 1881 when his son, Ernest succeeded to the homestead and is the present owner.
1806 Oliver Gates was born in Preston, Connecticut on Sept. 18, 1757. At the outbreak of the Revolution he enlisted in one of the Connecticut regiments and served in General Sullivan's division. After seven months service, he was discharged and then enlisted in the Navy. He served on the Oliver Cromwell which captured several British ships. After the war, he bought land from the Connecticut company and came to Springfield Township in 1806. He and his family suffered many hardships and privations in their new home. There was a wife and seven children to car for. At one time, Gates was working at Tioga Point to gain some money since the provisions of the family at home had given out. For two weeks, all they had to eat was blackberries and milk and to get the milk and to get the berries, Mrs. Gates had to walk a mile, early in the morning, before the children were awake. Oliver Gates died in 1834 and the farm descended to his son, Oliver. It then passed on to his grandson William and is now owned by the great-great grandson Charles E. descended from the first Oliver Gates.
1806 The Elijah Towner farm application of Ulster, Rome Township, states only that he purchased the land in 1806 which passed to his son Enoch, to his son Alvin S. and on to Alvin's son Howard W. and finally to the fifth owner, son of Howard W. Sr. to Howard Towner Jr.
1807 Abner W. Ormsby came from Becket, Massachusetts to Smithfield in 1807. He purchased from the Bingham estate and improved his land where he died at an advanced age. The Homestead passed to his son, Levi D. and then to his granddaughter Mertie Forrest Beach. The farm is presently owned by the great-great-grandson, John E. Beach.
1807 Henry Card owned land near Narragansett on a point of land extending into the ocean. One cold year his was the only corn in Rhode Island to ripen and he sold the entire crop at a good seed corn price and used the money to come to Pennsylvania to establish a homestead. Henry Card had five sons and eight daughters (2 wives). He tried to give each son a farm and each daughter $300 when married. The present farm consists of the farms of George M. and Henry Bowen, (sons) with small parcels of Joseph's and some of the daughters. Thomas did not have a farm but a house in the Borough of Sylvania and about seven acres of land now in the farm located on Porter Road in Troy Township called 'Morningside Farm' presently owned by Owen Arthur Clark and the daughter of Wendell Card, Marie Card Clark, great-great-granddaughter of Henry Card.
1807 John Wilber, a soldier of the Revolution was born in Rhode Island on October 18, 1760. He had married Abigail Johnson of Rhode Island. In 1807, his son Reuben had settled in Troy Township and in 1809, his father John, joined him. They had 300 acres which had been purchased under Connecticut title and they had to repurchase it from Pennsylvania at $4.00 an acre. John Wilber, the father, died in 1846 and his daughter Abigail married Jacob Kenyon of Troy Township. Reuben Wilber enlisted in the War of 1812 and was made first lieutenant and paymaster and at the close of the war he returned to his farm in Troy, Bradford County. In 1824 he was elected county sheriff and six years later was sent to the state legislature. In 1845, he was appointed an associate judge of Bradford County. There were two associates with the presiding judge. Wilber served four years. He was also a presidential elector in the Democratic ticket and cast the district vote for James Buchanan. He also filled other state positions. Reuben Wilber died in 1881 and upon his death the farm was purchased by his nephew Joab Kenyon who operated it until 1920. The farm then passed on to Joab Kenyon Mahood, a great-great nephew of Reuben Wilber. It was called Kenacres. Joab K. Mahood became the executive secretary of the Pennsylvania State Grange. He still resides at Kenacres.
1810 The original property was owned by Daniel Heverly, the first in Overton Township in 1810. His son, Daniel 2nd, eventually took over his land and the property later passed on down to Daniel the 3rd. The daughter of Daniel the 3rd was the mother of Mr. Messersmith who had married George N. Messersmith. Their son, George Harold is the present owner. He was born Aug. 31, 1899. In 1820, Daniel Heverly 1st, deeded part of his land to his son-in-law, Leonard Streevy (or Streby). His wife was Betsy Heverly, daughter of Daniel Heverly 1st. In 1827, Leonard Streevy sold his property to his son Isaac. Isaac died in 1880 and the property went to his son Edward. Edward was married to Mary Christman and following Edward's death, Mr. Messersmith bought the property from her. The date was April 1935. Clement F. Heverly, historian and author of histories of Bradford County was the brother of Mr. Messersmith's mother.
1812 The Stevens family came from England. Three brothers settled in Massachusetts. One of the sons, Asa, left Massachusetts in 1772 and came to the Connecticut settlements at Wyoming. When the Wilkes-Barre Company was formed to protect the valley from the Indians, Asa Stevens was made a Lieutenant. In 1777 he was one of the force which came to Sheshequin in search of Tories where the first blood of the Revolution was shed in Bradford County. He marched out with his company at the battle of Wyoming in 1779 and was among those slain. His family fled to Connecticut and remained there until the end of the war when they returned to Wyoming. Asa Stevens' second son Jonathan enlisted at 17 in a Connecticut regiment and served nearly three years. After discharge, he learned the trade of a tailor and was married in 1785. He moved up the river to Wyoming County and plied his trade as well as working a small farm. Feeling that the opportunities were better up the river, he moved to Wyalusing in 1805 where he engaged in keeping a store and tavern. Seven years later he purchased a farm in Standing Stone where he spent the balance of his life. He died on June 12, 1850.
Jonathan Stevens was a man of superior ability. He was appointed deputy surveyor for the county of Luzerne in 1793 and as such surveyed many of the first land grants in this part of the state. In 1800 he was commissioned a justice of the peace. In 1811 he was elected to the state legislature. In May, 1818, he was appointed an associate judge of Bradford County and held that office for 23 years. He was noted for his splendid judgment and strict integrity.
Upon his death, his farm was divided into two parts and left to his two sons Simon and Asa. Asa took the southeastern part. On his death in 1879 it passed to his son Charles S. who is operating it now. He has a son, Nelson P., so the farm will continue in the Nelson family for some years. It is interesting to note that the sons of the Stevens family have held the office of Justice of the Peace in Standing Stone for over 150 years in combination.
1812 The William Evens farm in Ridgebury was purchased in 1812 by him and in sequence the second owner was his son Peter followed by his son Jerome and Jerome Sr.'s son to Jerome Jr. There is no further information on the application for a century farm award.
1812 David Lindley came from Vermont to Bradford County in 1812 where he visited relatives at Alba and walked over the county to select the land he wanted. He finally decided upon a location along the present main road (Route 414) between Canton and Towanda. He purchased from Zephenia who had patented a tract in 1796. Lindley built his home on a knoll and for years it was known as "Ashknoll Farms." He kept some sheep and found it necessary to build a cabin in which to protect them from the wolves who prowled the area at night. Lindley opened a road from Canton to Ralston and drove the first wagon over it. He died in 1831. The farm descended to his son Joseph and then to his grandson Sheldon H. Lindley. Sheldon was a county commissioner for two terms. Then "Ashknoll" descended to the great grandson, D. Thomas and finally to the great-great grandson Robert L. Lindley who was the present owner (at the time of the application). The farm and home have since gone out of the family. The home was built in 1848 and sheltered five generations of Lindley's.
1813 Harry Ackley purchased land in Tuscarora Township and cleared it from the virgin forest. He was an Associate Judge of Bradford County from 1851-1856. Upon his death in 1864, the farm passed to his son Demmon and then to his daughter Angie E. Browning and then to her son Earl A. Browning. The farm is called Spruce Valley Farm.
1813 Joseph Wills purchased land in the Troy Township in 1813 which was purchased under Pennsylvania title. It passed to his son-in-law William Phillips in 1844 and in 1899 to his son-in-law James O. Cowl and from there to James' daughter Mary C. Dunbar in 1947. The farm was known as "Winsome Hill."
1813 Set Gates purchased land in Springfield Township in 1813.
In 1864 following his death, the farm passed to son Horatio R. Gates. Following
the death of Horatio in 1906, the third owner was his son George W. Gates.
When George died in 1950, his daughter Edith married Elbert Hoyt and she
and her husband still maintain the family farm.
|1813 Oliver Besley, a French Huguenot emigrated with his family
to New York State. In 1812, he moved to Bradford County and settled near
Austinville in Columbia Township. He first purchased 53 acres from one
of the large landowners, Miers Fisher. He later added to his holdings and
in 1816 had 207 acres with a house, a horse and 3 cows, giving him the
second largest valuation in the township. Here he raised 8 children and
died in 1844.
The farm passed to his son John W. who died in 1856. The next owners were his sons Oliver, John and Gabe C. When the third brother Gabe and the last to die in 1939, Gabe's son, Donald V. received the farm and is the present owner. Donald V. Besley's wife, Lucille, is the great granddaughter of Reuben Case, one of the pioneer settlers of Troy Township.
August 2008 - Dick Besley, son of Donald and Lucille, stands in front of the house built 1875 by his grandparents. Photo by Joyce M. Tice
1814 Roger and Lovissa Alger came from Connecticut to Orwell about 1814. They had an opportunity to purchase land on the Wysox flats but did not think the soil was fertile. Their title was from the Connecticut company so they had to re-purchase from Pennsylvania owners.
Roger Alger, like many of the other Connecticut settlers had a trade. He was a cooper and while he was not engaged in farm work, made molasses barrels, fish tubs and butter firkins. His son John Wesley inherited the farm. He was also a cooper. His wife Minerva spun and wove the flax grown on their farm into linen and for many years she was postmistress with the post office in their home.
John Orestes Alger was the son of John Wesley and the third owner of the farm. He served as a blacksmith in the Civil War. The fourth owner was Effie Alger Cummings, a great granddaughter. Sheltervale Farm is now occupied and operated by Ferris T. Alger, a great-grandson of Roger Alger.
1814 Stephen Wilcox came to Smithfield from Connecticut and cleared a patch of land and built a log house. He then returned to Connecticut to get his wife. The farm descended to his son Eliott Wilcox, his widow, T.E. Wilcox and then to his son Lea and his sisters Hazel and Roxie. Roxie appears to have inherited the farm next and finally Gilbert Wilcox was the final listed owner. The informant, Ida P. Coeyman is now deceased and there is no further information concerning the farm.
1816 Alvin Whitney came to Bradford County with his father Elisha in 1816 and purchased land in Wysox Township, Rome. Upon his death it passed to his daughter Emily Whitney Rice and then to her son David S. Rice. No further information was available on their application.
1817 Major John Taylor purchased land in Wyalusing, Tuscarora
Township in 1817. Upon his death Aholiab, his son, who came to the area
in 1821, inherited the farm. John M., Aholiab's son, received the farm
on the death of his father in 1849. John died in 1902 and his son James
H. received the farm. Then in 1935, the wife of James, Blinnie Black Taylor
received the farm when James died in 1939. Her daughter, Marion H. then
inherited the farm and upon her death, the fate of the farm is unknown.
In a message dated 12/25/2009 5:19:13 PM writes:
Update: Upon her death, Marion H. willed the farm to her sister's family (Marrietta Flynn) in 1971. The Flynn family sold the farm to John Homet Howard Sr., his wife-Harriet Taylor Howard (Marion and Marrietta's sister) and two sons-John Homet Howard Jr. and Charles F. Howard. In 1993 Raymond and Susan (Howard) Brigham purchased the farm. Susan is the great granddaughter of James Taylor. By today's standards, it is still an operating farm.
Thank you, Susan H. Brigham, Wyalusing, PA
1818 Moses Calkins born in Connecticut was a Revolutionary soldier. He came to West Burlington township in 1795 and settled along Sugar Creek. His son Joel purchased a farm in Troy township in 1818 which passed upon his death to his son Aden, then to his son Layton F., on to his son Ezra A., and his son Thomas A. and finally to his son Layton J. Calkins who is now deceased as of 1980. His wife Nellie and sons continue to operate the farm.
1818 William Samuel Hutchinson came from Vermont with his wife and five children to Pike township in 1818. After much trouble over land titles, he purchased 94 acres from Vincent LeRay in 1828. The farm passed following his death to his son William and then to the Grandson William J. who was followed by a great-grandson Howard A. and finally to the great-great-grandson Jasper W. who is the present owner.
1819 John Ford purchased his land in 1819 in Tuscarora Township. Upon his death, it passed to his daughter Frances A. Culver and her husband Oliver then on to their son Mylert S. followed by a grandson Samuel L. and on to the present owner, great-great-grandson John C. Culver.
1822 Nathan Newman 1st, purchased land in Warren Township September 25, 1822. When he died in 1891, his son Anson inherited the property until his death in 1908 when Nathan 2nd received it. When he died in 1929, Keith #1, his son, received the property and in 1951, Keith #2 inherited the farm with his wife Mary.
1823 Samuel Wood was a descendant in the fifth generation from William Wood who came from England with the Puritans and settled at Concord, Massachusetts. He was born January 26, 1761 at Westminister, Massachusetts. His father having died in 1777, he moved to Vermont to live with a man named Derby. Samuel enlisted with the Minute Men during Burgoyne's invasion of Canada. In 1780 he was serving with Arnold at West Point. In September while on a scouting expedition with twelve men, they came upon three "Cow Boys" who plundered both sides. They had a prisoner on horseback with a pass from General Arnold when stopped. The man declared himself to be a British officer. Suspicious, they searched him and found papers in his boots which led them to believe him to be a spy. The sergeant in charge of the scouting squad took the prisoner and taking one of the stirrup straps buckled the prisoner's wrist giving the end to Samuel Wood, detailing him as the personal guard. The men were ordered to put their firelocks in order and to kill the prisoner on the slightest attempt to escape. He was taken to Col. Jameson who immediately reported to the General. He was tried, condemned as a spy and sentenced to be hung. He was the Major John Andre, adjutant-general of the British Army.
Samuel Wood married in 1786 and settled in Halifax, Vermont. But the rocky soil of New England yielded too little so he decided to seek more fertile lands. In 1809, with his three sons, he came to John Shepard who was a land owner living above Athens. He contracted for 360 acres of land in Smithfield township. The agreement called for 166 and two thirds bushel of wheat to be delivered to Shepard by the last day of February, 1810 and a like amount in 1811 and 1812. One hundred and seventeen dollars in interest was to be paid in two years and a like amount in three and four years. The original agreement is still in possession of the Wood family.
Samuel left his three sons in Smithfield to start work on the new farm while he returned to Vermont for the family. He returned with them in the fall and found that the boys had cleared four acres and planted enough wheat to give them bread for the winter. The next year thirty acres were cleared. Their fist log house was replaced by a frame structure in 1823 and in 1859 by a brick house. The bricks were made on the farm. The Wood farm was occupied until the fourth generation by a member of the family. The Wood family in sequence were Samuel, Abraham, Willard A., A. Welles Wood to Ernest W. Wood. Ernest is now deceased.
1824 Daniel Durand left New York State with his family in 1824 for the new land in Pennsylvania he had purchased from Amelia DuPont who had bought a part of the great LeRay tract. With his wife and six children and the household goods in one wagon while he walked beside it, they arrived in Camptown. They lived here for three years while he built a cabin on his land now the present Herrick Township. They moved to this place in 1827. The Durand home became a religious center for he was a Baptist. He organized the first church in Herrick. His eleven year old son Daniel was drowned in the camp's pond and was the first death in the township. The first school in the township opened in 1836 with twenty pupils of whom the Durand family had seven.
Herrick Hill Farms passed to the son Silas on the death of Daniel Durand and then to a nephew Horace W. Durand, on to his son Melvin H. and now owned and operated by Melvin's son Alfred M. Durand.
1824 Frederick Williams purchased his farm in 1824 in Smithfield township and it was deeded to his daughter Mahala Williams Wheeler following his death. Mahala's daughter Laura Wheeler Kitchen inherited the farm from her mother. The farm is located on the 1843 Atlas map of Smithfield Township.
1825 Albert Brainard came from Connecticut to purchase land in Warren Township. It was passed to his son Albert David and then on to his grandson Jesse. The farm was called Orchardvale.
1825 Aaron P. Allen was a New Englander who first came to the Wyoming Valley and then to Bradford County about 1825. He purchased land in the Burlington Township, cleared it and built his log cabin. Later he engaged in lumbering and foremost in clearing the forests. His son Henry H. Allen, one of eleven children was born in the log cabin home. As a young man he enlisted during the Civil War and was wounded in the arm which resulted in amputation at the elbow. On this farm he raised eight children. The succession was from Aaron to Henry H. and then Glenn G. Allen who is the present owner.
1826 The Wilcox family in New Albany Borough consists of Sheffield and his sons Thomas, Rowland, Freeman and Sheffield Jr. who came into Albany Township in 1803. They had to cut a road through the virgin wilderness. The journey from the village of Monroe was completed on ox sleds and they crossed the creek eleven times.
The present farm was purchased in 1826 from Ephriam Ladd. It passed on to the son Wells and then to his son Boyd W. From Boyd W. it went to his son Leon who is the great-grandson of the original owner. The farm has been known as Maple Slide.
1827 Phineas Antisdel and his wife Dorcas came from Otsego County, New York, town of Middlefield, making the trip with oxen and sled. Their son William was seven years old at the time. They raised a large family and on March 6, 1851, they had the farm paid for and deeded to them. The farm was located in West Warren. The farm in succession went to William in 1851, their son, and then to a grandson, John in 1900 and then to a great grandson, Louis William Antisdel in 1951.
1827 The Rightmire farm in Ridgebury Township was first purchased by Nicholas Parcel in 1827 and passed on to his son George. George's daughter, Ellen, married George Rightmire and the farm was inherited by James G. Rightmire following the death of his parents. The name of the farm is Maple Grove in the village of Bentley Creek.
1828 Uriah S. Brown came to Orwell from New York State in 1828. At his death, the farm passed to his son George W., then to his grandson Oscar M. and finally to his great grandson William T. Brown.
1829 Nathan L. Brown came from Connecticut to the new lands in Pennsylvania. He purchased a farm in what is now Albany Township from Joseph Priestly Company, son of the famous scientist who had made his home in Northumberland. Brown named his farm Glenbrook because it resembled his former home in Connecticut. Upon his death, it passed to his son Charles A. and then to his grandson and granddaughter Louis H. and Blanche Brown. On September 23, 1966 William L. and Thelma P. Diltz purchased the farm from Blanche Brown. Della Thurston Brown and Louis H. Brown were related by the fact that Della and Louis H. were first cousins having the same grandmother, Ella O'Neil Deltz. When Della Brown owned the farm, her son rode his horse to the pond for water. When he did not return, Lou, his brother went to look for him and found him dead from a blow on the head. It is believed that something frightened the horse throwing the rider who landed hitting his head on a rock. The boy's father William Deltz swore that he would never have another horse on the farm and resorted to oxen to till the soil. The farm was named "Ox Yoke Farm" as a result, replacing the name of Glenbrook.
1830 Davis Dimock Black purchased the land in 1830 located in Laceyville. Davis operated the farm until 1866 when his son John H. Black bought and operated the farm until 1893 when he rented it to Edith Black Woolsey, granddaughter of David Dimock Black. She and her husband, Myron Woolsey worked the farm until 1895 when D. N. Warner bought it and farmed the land until 1914. His son Charles Warner worked the land until 1925 when it was purchased by Davis Smales and his wife who was the great granddaughter of Davis Dimock Black. The farm is called "Maplewood Farm".
1830 Christopher Child, a citizen of Warren, Rhode Island, purchased a tract of land in 1830 located in Smithfield Township. Here, he cleared the land and set out an orchard. Upon his death, the Child farm passed on to his son Christopher Junior. It then went to his granddaughters Pricilla, Harriett and Henrietta successively then finally to the great granddaughter Frances Bradford Howland who is the present owner.
1832 The Raymond C. Thomas farm in Troy is listed as the Reuben Rowley purchase in 1832. Reuben Rowley came to Troy in that year from Vermont after serving in Captain Thomas Lee's Company commanded by Colonel Seth Warner. He had made sergeant and later served with a detachment of Captain Eben Allen in the company of Stephen Calkins. He had acquired a knowledge of medicine and practiced as a doctor in Troy until he was too old to do so. He died at the age of 94 and is buried in the Alba cemetery. His brother-in-law Jacob Thomas took over the land and was followed by a third owner, W. Alonzo Thomas, son of Jacob. The fourth owner, Mary N. Thomas, niece by marriage followed and the fifth and present owner, Raymond C. Thomas, son of Mary, continues to operate the farm located on Route 14 just outside of the town of Troy. A century farm sign designates it as a historical farm site.
1832 The Brown farm in Ulster, Smithfield Township, had as its first owner in 1832, Champlen Brown. Following his death, his son Waterman received the farm and he was followed by Waterman's son Herbert W. Brown.
1832 The Noble Family farm in Wells Township, Coreyland, R.D. Gillett was originally purchased by Alanzo C. Noble in 1832. He cleared the land and established what is now a registered Jersey cattle farm which has continued into the present day. George Noble followed his father Alanzo and Alanzo the 2nd was followed by La Vere W. Noble and his son Tom.
1833 The Thomas P. Wolcott purchase in 1833 of land in Springfield Township remained in the family following his death, going to his son Pearsal Wolcott and then to Pearsal's son George E.
1835 Matthias Hollenback, a Connecticut settler in Wyoming, purchased land in 1835 located in Wyalusing Township. Under a patent from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. He became an Associate Judge in Luzerne County, serving for forty years. His son-in-law, Charles Fisher Wells was the first prothonotary of Bradford County, appointed by the Governor. When Charles died, the farm passed on to his son George and in 1945 the farm was purchased by the Welles Mill Company which was owned by the grandsons of George H. Welles. The farm is known as the Wellco Farm.
1835 Orrin P. Kingsley purchased land in Smithfield Township in 1835 and following his death (no dates given) the farm passed to his son F.D.A. Kingsley and then to his daughter-in-law Julia T. Kingsley. The farm was called Maple Lane Farm.
1836 David Fanning purchased his property in Springfield Township in 1836 from "Bank Land of North America." The title was defective and the land had to be repurchased. When David died, his son Melvin D. Fanning received the land and he was followed by a grandson, Lloyd M. Fanning. The farm was known as the Fanning Homestead.
1837 Daniel Loomis came from Connecticut to Troy Township in 1837 and purchased the farm from Joseph Kingsbury who was an agent for the great Landowner of Eastern Bradford County, James LeRay. Kingsbury made some purchases for himself in the township of Troy. When Daniel Loomis died, his farm passed to his son Ezra and then on to the grandson Lucien and finally to the great-grandson, A. Reid Loomis.
1837 The Ballards were pioneers in West Burlington. Four Ballard families came from Massachusetts in the 1790's. One, a cousin, Thomas Ballard, came from Massachusetts in 1800 and settled in West Burlington where he raised his family of four boys and three girls. He died at the ripe age of 95. His son, John V., purchased a farm in Troy Township in September of 1837 and upon his death, the farm passed to his son Job and then to his son, Ben. Ben served as a County Commissioner and also worked the farm with his son, Leon, on equal shares. Following Ben's death, Leon continued as owner-operator until his retirement when he passed the farm to his daughter Marilyn and her husband Richard Packard.
1837 James Warren came to Canton township in 1837 and purchased a farm from Gordon Mason of Monroe Township. He built a house, a part of which is still standing and upon his death, the farm passed to his son William H., and then to his grandson Norman E. Warren. It is known as the Old Homestead Farm. James Warren was a blacksmith and hand wrought nails are still evident in the buildings.
1838 The William Fitzwater land purchase occurred in 1838 in the township of Canton. In 1860, an uncle, Samuel received the farm when William died. His brother, William took over following William's death in 1866. Samuel's son Rollie V. inherited the farm in 1893 and when Rollie died in 1832, the farm went to his wife who turned it over to her son, Ewvin L. in 1934. The farm is located in Beech Flats.
1838 Alfred Helme Strong purchased land in Springfield Township in 1838. The first frame house stood up near the site of the present house and was pulled on log rollers to the present location about 600 feet from where it originally stood. Following a fire which destroyed the second story, it was rebuilt and became the present tenant house.
In 1865 a typhoid epidemic hit the area and Mrs. Alfred Strong, formerly Delphine Hosley, went down to the tenant house to help care for the sick family there. She brought the germ into her home and on December 28, 1865, her son died followed by a daughter, Hattie in January and the same day her husband and another son, Norman succumbed to the disease. Edward Carpenter Strong, the only son left, took over the farm. He had been discharged from the 132nd Regiment of Pennsylvania Co. "B" on a "Surgeon's Certificate" on February 7, 1863. His name is among those from Pennsylvania on the marker in Gettysburg. On November 21, 1867, Miss Jane Elizabeth Adams and Edward Carpenter Strong were united in marriage at the Springfield Baptist Church.
The three living children of Edward Carpenter Strong who inherited the Estate of E. C. Strong were: Mary Delphine Sargeant, Harriette Louise Strong Wilson and Jennie Adams Strong. Dwight Sargeant, a husband of Mary and his family lived on the farm for quite a few years and ran a very skillful operation. Tenants came in various agreements but the cows remained as a constant source of income for the three sisters. Miss Jennie Strong, remained on the farm all of her life and retired from teaching in the East Smithfield High School. In 1960, Edward Strong Wilson and Eleanor Sargeant Grace, his first cousin were part owners of the farm by virtue of inheritance through their mutual mothers, Mary Sargeant and Harriette Wilson. Because Edward had always spent a great deal of his growing up years at the farm, he wanted to keep it in the family and bought out the interest of his first cousin Eleanor Grace. The farm is presently known as the Edward Strong Wilson Century Farm.
1839 Daniel Andrus, a p[physician, purchased a farm in Smithfield Township in 1839. It passed to his son, Wayland, then to his grandson Roym and then to a great-grandson, Henry L. Andrus who was a fifth generation in the Andrus name.
1840 Jeremiah Barnes came to Herrick in 1840 and purchased land. In 1880, following his death, his farm passed on to his son Philetus, Philetus willed the place to his daughter Pauline B. Whipple. The farm was called "Pleasant Home."
1843 Julius Gorham came to Orwell Township and purchased land in 1843, buying some of the great tract owned by James LeRay. His son, Wilbur Gorham inherited the land followed by a grandson Reese. Beatrice Gorham Chaffee, granddaughter of the first owner now owns the farm known as "Twin Spruce."
1843 J. Howard Alderson came from England to Pike Township and purchased a farm in 1843. In 1846, he built a stone farmhouse and following his death, the farm passed on to his grandson Elliott then finally to his great-grandson J. Howard Alderson.
1844 Alexander Ennis of Scotch descent purchased his farm located in Standing Stone Township from Amelia E. Dupont in 1844. She owned large tracts of land in Bradford County. When Alexander died, his farm passed to his son Asa S. Ennis and then on to his grandson Arthur S. Ennis. The farm was called "Hurricane Hill."
1844 The history of this farm is tied with another pioneer of Wyalusing who also set up a Century Farm. Thomas Brown who was at the Wyoming battle, came to Wyalusing in 1783. His son Benjamin married Rachel Birney, the widow of Joseph Stalford, Junior. Joseph's daughter, Catherine Pawling, married Joseph Baker. In 1844, they deeded the farm to Benjamin Brown. He passed it to his son Frank E. and Frank passed it to his son J. Lacey Brown who now operates it with his son-in-law, Robert Wiggins.
1844 The Pomeroy Farm was purchased in 1844 from the trustees of the Henry Drinker brokers, the Philadelphia merchant who owned some 25,000 acres of land in western Bradford County. Here Isaac N. Pomeroy built his home. At his death, he passed it on to his son Ebenezer and then to his grandson Charles. It then went to his great-grandson John and from there to a great-great-granddaughter, Sophia Pomeroy Case.
1844 Jonathan A. Bowen purchased his farm in Warren Centre December 4, 1844. When he died, his wife Mary continued the operation and upon her death, her daughter Agnes S. and her husband Guy B. Cummings continued to work the farm. When they died, their grandson, Cordis P. Cummings continued to work the family farm.
1845 Hugh Templeton purchased his farm in 1845 in the Township of Smithfield. He had come to America from Scotland. When he died the farm went to his son Robert and then to Roberts son, H. P. Templeton.
1845 Amariah N. Harris was one of the later generations of Connecticut emigrants who came to Bradford County in 1845 and picked a farm along Buck Creek in Smithfield Township. The farm passed to Joel N., a son and then to Guy E. Harris, a grandson.
1845 Seth Nicholas purchased his farm in Warren Township on Cadis Road. His son Alburn and his wife Lydia inherited the farm in 1864. Their son, Abram B. Nicholas got the farm in 1921 and Abram's sister, Mahala N. Dimon inherited the farm in 1925. Her sister Mary Brister received it in 1933 and her son, Aubrey Brister took over the farm in 1942.
1845 Perry Newell purchased his land in Canton Township in 1845. He had served in both the Mexican and the Civil Wars. His widow sold the farm to his brother Charles in 1882, that same year. In 1945, Dorothy and Marjorie inherited the farm when their father, Charles died. In 1947, Dorothy's husband Donald Spencer purchased her sister's share and continued to operate the farm which was known as the Locust Poultry Farm, a name given to the farm when Charles was actively engaged in raising prize poultry for show and shipped poultry to several large cities. Perry Newell, original settler on the family farm, died in the house presently occupied by Dorothy Newell Spencer and her husband Donald.
1847 Samuel Overpeck purchased his land in Herrick Township, Rummerfield in 1847. He arrived in the area with his three brothers and all four had purchased adjoining land. John Overpeck's farm passed on to his daughter Libbie and then to his grandson, John Overpeck.
1847 William Hillis purchased his farm in 1847 located in Rumerfield. He died in 1880 and the farm went to a nephew, Richard S. Hillis. In 1921, Richard's wife, Kate, inherited the farm and in 1947 Lena, daughter of Kate and her husband, Andrew Marsh, received it following her mother's death.
1847 John A. Keene came to Standing Stone Township and purchased this farm from Congressman E. Reed Myer in 1847. At his death, the farm passed to the son John Jr. and then to the granddaughter Mabel Keene Gatz and her husband Malcolm Gatz.
1850 Samuel Farwell purchased land in Smithfield Township in 1850 in the town of Milan. His daughter Sabrina Gerould inherited the farm and her daughter, Jane Gerould Ballentine received it following her death.
1851 The Jewell Hill Farm was purchased in 1851 by the Rev. Silas Barner, an active Methodist minister. In 1855, he became pastor of the Rome Church and a clergyman minister. Upon his death, the farm passed to his daughter, Mary Barner Jewell, then to the granddaughter Frances Jewell LaBarre and lastly to the great-grandson Charles F. LaBarre.
1852 Alfred Riggs bought a farm in Smithfield Township in 1852. His son William Lee Riggs received it when he died and the daughter of William, Laura Riggs Wakely inherited it upon the death of her father.
1852 Ephriam Boardman came from Connecticut to Windham Township in 1852 and purchased a farm. He died without having made a will and the farm was purchased by his sons Abel and Henry. It was then passed to Abel's son Henry D. and on to his son Erwin W. Finally Donald, great-great grandson of Ephriam Boardman received the farm. He enlarged it by various purchases now totaling 380 acres. He operates it as a dairy farm.
1852 William Norconk or Norkonk, purchased a farm in New Albany, Wilmot Township in 1852. The farm in succession went to Jesse, son of William, in 1833, then to Charles, son of Jesse in 1927 on to Raymond, son of Charles in 1955. William Norconk deeded land to the Wilmot Township for a school in 1860 and also gave land for a cemetery known as the Norconk Cemetery in 1869.
1852 Charles S. Homet, son of Charles Homet Sr., one of the three residents of the French refugee town of Azilum who remained in Bradford County purchased land in Wyalusing in 1852, cleared it and erected his home. He cleared the original forest to begin a farm operation which he passed on to his grandson Donald J. Heath. The farm was called "Mountain Range."
1852 Charles F. Wells purchased land in Granville in 1852 which was deeded to Lorenzo Swain that same year. The descent of the farm was to his son L. Delmar Swain in 1903, to his wife Carafilia Swain in 1970 and that same year to Myers G. Swain, father of David M. Swain who inherited the farm in 1978. The farm is called "Swamont Farms."
1853 John Miller purchased his farm from Oscar Decker in Ridgebury Township and built a log house. He passed it on to his son Moses and then to his grandson Ellsworth Bly.
1853 George W. Elliott purchased a farm in Herrick Township, Wyalusing, in 1853 from Burton and Rowena S. Kingsbury. In 1864 following his death, the farm went to his son, E. J. Elliott and in 1916, his son, G. Mark received it. In 1958, Mark's daughter Helen and her husband Bernard E. Harned inherited the farm.
1853 Orin A. Burnham purchased land in Ridgebury in 1853. Otis R. Burnham, his son was the second owner and his son Earl and his daughter, Mrs. Ralph Merriam shared ownership following the death of Otis. The name of the farm is "Bur-Mer."
1854 Milton Elijah Seymour purchased a farm in Springfield Township in 1854. The son of Milton inherited the farm in 1898 and his daughter and her husband, Herbert and Ardena Tyler received it in 1954. It was an original parcel of the Bingham Estate.
1855 Rolison Green purchased his farm in Warren Township in 1855. It then passed on to his son Englebert and then to his grandson William, finally to his nephew Rulison Green.
1855 Joseph Elsbree purchased his farm in 1855 in Windham Township, borderline of Nichols, New York. His wife inherited the farm in 1890 and in 1908, their son Martin took it over. Martin's daughter Marie and her husband Grant became the owners in 1920 and Marie, Grant's widow is the present owner.
1856 The father of Luther C. Van Horn came to Bradford County and purchased the farm in Granville Township. It passed on to his daughter Ella Van Horn Harris and then to her daughter Mary Harris Ayres.
1856 Albin Wanzo purchased his farm in Windham Township in 1856. It passed to his son Charley Wanzo in 1910 and on to his son Fred E. Wanzo in 1945. The farm was originally purchased from Frederick Jakway under a Pennsylvania title.
1856 Caleb and Nancy Case purchased a farm in Troy Township in 1856. Their son-in-law and daughter Charles and Wrexie Greeno inherited the farm following their death and it was passed on to Caleb and Gladys Greeno, son and daughter-in-law. Shirley Kinsman, daughter of Caleb and Gladys Greeno with her husband Milford, continue to operate the farm which is located on Pisgah Road, out of East Troy.
1857 C. B. Clark sold the farm to Sanford Allen in New Albany, Terry Township, in 1857. The farm has remained in the Allen family, presently owned by B. C. Allen.
1858 Joseph Smith purchased land in Wysox in 1858. The farm was willed to his son, Charles R. and in 1892 Stephen, Joseph Smith's son and his wife took possession. Sophia, a half sister to Stephen and her husband, W. Sherman Barnes, became the owners in 1898 and in 1923, the son of Sophia and W. Sherman Barnes, Howard and his wife Helen, inherited the farm. Finally, in 1959, Howard's son, H. Sherman Barnes and his wife S. Ann, became the owners of the farm which is called "Barnes' Acres."
1859 Morris Learn purchased his farm in 1859 located in Laceyville, Tuscarora Township. Five generations have lived on the homestead namely: Morris Learn, his son, Nathan, Nathan's son Albert, Albert's son Charles and Charles' son Clifton and Eugene, all Learns.
1859 George Campbell purchased his farm in Athens from James Mustart. He died in 1902 and his son Peter continued the farming operation. In 1961, his grandson, Robert D. Campbell took over and in 1966 applied for and received a Century Farm Award. The original farm was purchased under a Pennsylvania title.
1860 The first owner of the Burke farm in Wilmot Township Sugar Run is unknown but in 1860, James and Anna Burke were the owners listed until 1906 when their son John and his wife Gertrude became the residents. In 1955, their son Harold and his wife Helen inherited the farm.
1860 Joshua Kilmer purchased land in Asylum Township in 1860. In 1895 his grandson George W. Kilmer received the farm by descent and that same year a second cousin, J. Noble Kilmer purchased the farm from him. In 1919, his son Lloyd W. Kilmer inherited the farm which is known as the "Kilmer Ridge Farm."
1863 William Bruce Bresee in Sheshequin Township, Ulster received a century farm award in 1979. The application submitted noted that the first owner of his farm was Silas Gore but no date of that purchase was known. By descent, the second owner was his great-great grandfather, Darwin Tryon Gillette in 1882. In 1884, Allan Day Gillette, a great grandfather was in possession and he was followed in 1923 by William's father, Chester J. Bresee until 1957 when William Bruce Bresee took over the farm and has continued to operate it successfully with his wife Jane McClure Bresee.
1864 Hezekiah Wilcox purchased his farm in LeRoy Township, Canton, in 1864. The farm passed to his daughter-in-law Joanna E. Wilcox in 1876 and from her to her children. Earl Wilcox, grandson of Joanna and his wife Hattie, inherited the farm in 1924. In 1964, the sons of Earl, Duane and George purchased the farm and are continuing their operation on what is called the "Five Brooks Farm."
1865 John Hickey is listed as the first owner of a farm in Warren Township in 1865. The second owner was Michael Hickey, father of the third owner, Charles F. Hickey.
1866 Wayland B. Andrus is noted as the first owner of his farm in Smithfield Township, Ulster in 1866. He was followed by his brother Roy S. Andrus in 1909. His son Fred L. Andrus, took over in 1914 and in 1946, his son, Henry L. Andrus inherited the family farm.
1866 Luther C. Van Horn purchased his farm in Granville Township, Granville Summit in 1866. It passed to his son Edgar D. Van Horn in 1910 at which time his son-in-law Henry W. Saxton with his wife Cora V. became the owners. In 1943, the son of Henry W. and Cora V. inherited the farm which passed to their son and his wife, Ernest E. and Lillian H. in 1971. Ernest and Lillian's son turned the farm over to their son Stanley C. and his wife Kay K. in 1971. The name of the farm is "Saxhilla."
1866 The first owner of the Fisk family farm in Wilmot Township, R.D., Wyalusing, was Hannah Fisk in 1866. The second owner is listed as Elijah Fisk in 1912, known as a great uncle and son of Hannah. George L. Fisk, another son of Hannah apparently shared ownership followed by Inez Gazley Fisk, wife of George. In 1939, Adrian T. and Beatrice W. Fisk, a nephew was the fifth owner and finally Bradley and Florence H. Fisk, Adrian's brother, became the owner in 1944. The farm is known as the "Fisk Hurst Farm."
1867 David W. Ford is listed as the first owner of the Ford farm in Orwell Township, Rome. The second owner was his son, Ira W. Ford in 1883. In 1928 Claude W. Ford, his son, inherited the farm until 1964 when the son of Claude, Lloyd W. Ford, inherited the farm. The information that the first purchase by David W. Ford was from the Warren Frisbie Estate. The farm name is "Maple Row."
1868 David Slingerland purchased his farm from Andrus and Lucy Case in 1868 located in Troy Township, Troy, just off of the present Route #14. The second owner of the farm was his son, Ray C. Slingerland, in 1905 and in 1931, Robert Slingerland and his wife Mildred have continued the operation of the farm until the present time.
1869 In 1869, Elisha Knights received a Judicial Deed for 120 acres of land lying south of Troy on the road to Alba from Delos Rockwell who was the guardian for a minor child, Hubbard Williams, son of Johnson Williams, deceased. By descent, the farm went successively to Elisha Knights, Harvey Knights, Fred Knights, Meade Knights to his son, Mason Alan Knights.
1872 In 1872, Louis Vought bought a farm in Wysox Township from the heirs and administrators of the Jesse Smith Estate. He and his wife Elizabeth passed the farm to Georgia Vought Barner, their daughter and son-in-law, Harry Barner, in 1922. The farm then went to the third owner, the granddaughter of Georgia and Harry, Margaret and Maurice Gillette in 1961.
1873 Cyrus G. Wheaton purchased his farm from H. L. Knapp in Windham Township in 1873. In succession, the owners followed as his son Martin L. Wheaton in 1884, his grandson Cyrus G. Wheaton in 1901 and in 1955, his great-grandson Walter G. Wheaton.
1873 F. H. Hagerman purchased about 500 acres in Asylum Township from John LaPorte and sold approximately half to Peter W. Morey in 1873. P. W. Morey constructed the main buildings of the original farmstead in 1873-1875. The house and barn are still in use. The daughter and son of P. W. Morey, Anna and Eugene, inherited the farm in 1912. They were followed by Eugene's sister Augusta and her husband Elliston M. Miller. Their son Peter Morey Miller and his wife Mary T. took over the farm in 1947 and were followed by the present owners, Lynn A. and Bonnie A. Miller in 1972. The farm is called "Royal Haven."
1874 The Michael Sullivan farm in Albany Township, New Albany, began its history when Michael purchased the homestead from James Sullivan and his wife in 1874. James passed the farm to his son James in 1923, and James passed the farm on to his son Patrick E. in 1957.
1874 A. P. Allen purchased a large tract of land in 1874 in Burlington Township from the Edward Overton tract. He built a log cabin and raised a family. He gave a piece of land to each of his sons who in turn helped him to clear the land. His wife was once the doctor of the community (no name given) and travelled from home to home. The descent of ownership was Henry W. Allen, until 1910, Glenn G. Allen in 1958 when Albert and Louise Woleslagle (an Allen daughter) took over the farm with her husband.
1875 Charles J. Eastabrook located in Orwell Township in 1875. His grandson C. B. and Nettie L. Estabrook were the second owners from 1920 until 1962 when the farm was taken over by B. Develle and Gladys Estabrook. The name of the farm is "South Side."
1875 Jefferson Warner purchased his farm in Wells Township, Gillett, in 1875 from A. M. Dunning. It passed to his son Harry and his wife Maude in 1960 and then to their son Jeff and Lynda Warner. The name of the farm is "Warnerdell."
1876 The Dewing farm actually goes back further than 1876 as the family history notes that Edward C. Dewing, born in Salisbury, Connecticut in 1801, married Susan Coburn in Warrenham, Pa. in 1834. He purchased the farm possibly in 1834 in Warren Township, Warren Center about this time and sold it to his brother George F. Dewing in 1876 and George's son inherited it in 1929. Then in 1951, his son, became the present owner. The listed deeds start at 1876.
1876 John R. and Jane W. Upham in Pike Township, LeRaysville, had an interesting application for their Century Farm Award as follows: "My great-great-grandfather came from Wales and purchased the farm from a man named Drinkwater, probably about 1845. His name was John Thomas and apparently he left the farm to his wife who in turn passed it on to their daughter. She was married to my great grandfather who was born in Rome, Pennsylvania in 1837. He served in the Civil War and at its close returned to the farm in LeRaysville where he lived for the rest of his life.
Tri-Counties Page 16183
|The History Center on Main Street, 83 N. Main Street, Mansfield PA 16933 email@example.com|