|Mansfield PA and Richmond Township in Tioga County PA
Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
||1890 Address by Simon B. Elliott
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
|We now have a local history museum in Mansfield representing the area
in and near Mansfield including Sullivan, Rutland, Covington and more
Visit the History Center
on Main Street at 83 North Main Street. We also have a locaton
at 61 North Main Street.
Regular hours are noon to 3 T, W Th or by appointment.
Also visit us on Facebook
|Article: 1890 Address
|Mansfield Borough, Tioga County PA
|Article by Chester P. Bailey
|Postcard form Joyce's Collection
Joyce's Search Tip - November 2008
||Do You Know that you can search just the
articles on the site by using the Articles button in the Partitioned
search engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page?
Delivered at the State Normal School
February 19, 1890
By Hon. Simon B. Elliott
In the year 1854, Mansfield might well have been, and probably was,
considered the least important of all the villages located in the valley
of the Tioga. Its chances for future prosperity could in no sense be looked
upon as promising. It was but little above the dignity of a hamlet.
There were two small stores, two small hotels, two churches and its
educational institution consisted of a two story frame building, now standing
near the corner just below, with only one room finished and occupied, and
that in the first story. In this was kept the village school. There were
but few painted buildings—probably not exceeding twenty—in an area enclosed
by a circle two miles in diameter. The only brick structures consisted
of the basement of the old tannery and the dwelling house on Main Street
in the southern part of town, then known as the Benjamin Gitchell house.
There were no manufactories except the tannery and a small sawmill adjacent,
the latter long since gone. They were both run by the fitful waters of
Corey Creek. Another old sawmill and also a woolen mill stood on the bank
of the river just west of where no stands the fine and large Borough Graded
School building; but neither of them were then or ever afterwards in operation.
The sawmill soon went to utter decay and the woolen mill was, some ten
or eleven years later on, moved to a point near the railroad depot where
it has ever since been used as a planing mill and sash and door factory.
It was in contemplation, however, to erect a blast furnace, a fact which
was afterwards accomplished. There was certainly nothing, except the furnace
enterprise, to make the place more prominent and conspicuous or that gave
it more promise of future prosperity than attaches itself now, and always
has, to the average small country town in a reasonably long settled region.
It is true it was favorably situated at the confluence of two streams,
Corey Creek and the Tioga River, but not more so than Canoe Camp, two and
a half miles above at the mouth of Canoe Camp Creek.
The population could not have exceeded 250 to 300 souls, it as great
as that; nor could the assessed evaluation of property, in what is now
the limits of the borough, have exceeded $20,000. It only reached the sum
of $26,000 in the year 1858. The village was incorporated as a Borough,
but with less area than now, February 17th, 1857.
||First Added to the Site on 19DEC 2002
By Joyce M. Tice
You are the
visitor since the counter was installed on 19 DEC 2002