Front Row: Phil Inman, Ben Inman, Dick Inman, Scott Furman,
1833-1983 South Creek Sesquicentennial
Reprinted on Tri-Counties site with permission of June SMITH Mickley
ReTyped by Paul Newell
GILLETT GRANGE NO. 884
The Gillett Grange organized in 1897. They received their Charter on June 1, 1889. Charter members included:
Mr. and Mrs. William Gordon, Mr. and Mrs. Amos Parsons, Mr. and Mrs. John F. Gillette, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Relyea, W.H. Pettingill, Mrs. J. Montayne, A Farminger, J. Sterling, J.C. Marcellus, E.C. Parsons.
GILLETT GRANGE DRAMATIC CLUB
The dramatic club presented dramas at the Gillett Grange Hall. During
the year 1921 they presented a play entitled "The Old Oaken Bucket" on
Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. The cast of characters included:
|Reuben Hardacre – a square, honest old farmer||Horton Berry|
|Tom – his son, a chip off the old block||Erwin Cooper|
|Arthur Ames – true blue||Kenneth Dunning|
|Mark Hayward – a wolf in sheep’s clothing||Doris Vandermark|
|Jake Tompkins – in love with Teddy "not wisely but too well"||Charles Vandermark|
|Mr. G. Willikens – a neighbor||Sam Craig|
|Ezry Babb – postmaster who reads the postals||M.K. Holcomb|
|Rev. William Mason – the peacemaker||Ray Wood|
|Martha Hardacre – Reuben’s wife loved by everyone||Pearl Youmans|
|Lizzie Lawrence – the light of Uncle Reuben’s eyes||Grace Smith|
|Emily Lawrence – (otherwise known as Teddy)||Helen Holcomb|
|Sapphira Scriggins – the village gossip||Bernice Berry|
|Mrs. G. Willikins – very proper but not charitable||Dora Harkness|
|Miry Jones – the village belle||Ruth Berry|
Admission: 15 and 25 cents. Reserved seats: 35 cents plus War Tax.
Fassett Grange – actors in a play performed at the Grange Hall. Earl and Mayme Congdon, Edna Congdon, Albert and Grace Cuyle, Harry and Josephine Jenkins, Bill Goodwin, Clair Shoemaker.
FASSETT GRANGE NO. 1567
Patrons of Husbandry, Formed March 11, 1913
Reuben and Eunice Barnhart, H. Frazier & Ethel Berk, Timothy & Maude Birney, William & Mayme Congdon, Neil Costello, Belle Coursen, Floyd Golden, George Golden, John Golden, C.D. Johnson, Lester Judson, May Judson, Ethel Keller, C. Fred Moore, Walter Oldroyd, August Pautz, Olen & __ Ross, Oscar & Ruby Rothwell, Grace Sawdry, Frank & __ Shirner, George & Mary Strong, Jesse Strong, Lizzie Suffern, Mrs. Samuel (Ida) Thompson, Leon Toby, David Watson, Alexander D. & Frances Yeomans.
GILLETT CEMETERY ASSOCIATION
Incorporated – April 6, 1892
J.S. Ameigh, Willis Andrews, G.W. Ayers, James Balmer, G.H. Berry, Chas. Blodgett, David Chase, C.W. Crane, F.C. Collins, G. Collins, Jasper Collins, A. Davey, G.H. Dunham, D.F. Dunning, G.O. Furman, J.F. Gillette, S.J. Gordon, W.A. Grover, J.M. Gustin, F.L. Harkness, G.R. Jenkins, C.F. Kiersted, David King, F.N. Leishear, J.H. Mason, G.D. McIntire, Henry Patterson, C.O. Pitt, N. Reed, Wm. Relyea, Hiram Sample, Chas. Terwilliger, G.O. Turk, J.E. Turk, S. Watson, J.T. Wortaindyke.
Trustees the first year were:
Dr. C.F. Kiersted of South Creek Township, James Balmer of South Creek Township and G.W. Ayers of Wells Township.
MASONIC LODGE F. & A. M.
Free and Accepted Masons No. 306 – members meet at Troy. Members of the South Creek Area:
Edward Ballard (past Master), Richard Berry, Lynn Freeman, Richard Freeman, Charles French, Donald Harkness, Matt Harkness, LeRoy Heib, Donald Holcomb, Hugh Kane, J. Sydney Kane, Sr., *Harry Kerrick, Gary Maynard, Lynn Maynard, Charles Oldroyd, Dennis Oldroyd, Forrest Oldroyd, George Oldroyd, Walter Oldroyd, Oliver Owens, Marvin Roberts, Tom Root, *Raymond Smith, *Raymond Smith, Jr., Neil Teribury, *Leon Toby, Benjamin Vandermark, *Doris Vandermark, Ralph Verdolini (past Master), Wayne Ward.
NORTHERN TIER NO. 930
Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF)
The local IOOF was organized on February 12, 1876. Charter members were:
J.L. Ameigh, Gideon T. Andrus, J.H. Awad, James Balmer, James Burnham, S.E. Carman, F.C. Chauncey, Charles Cran, Ira Crane, Peter J. Dean, William George, George Jenkins, Charles F. Kiersted, J.W. Kline, V.C. Leonard, C. Fred Moore, John L. Pitt, Samuel L. Thompson, D.N. Turk, George O. Turk, George K. Suffern, P. Wortendyke.
The first officers were:
V.C. Leonard………..A. Secretary
John L. Pitt………….….Treasurer
LADY GILLETT REBEKAH LODGE
Due to the efforts of Ora and Matthew Holcomb, Lady Gillett Rebekah Lodge was instituted on December 7, 1921 by District Deputy Laura Williams of Canton Lodge. That evening 28 persons signed the charter, two were taken by transfer from another Lodge and twelve were initiated.
Names of the charter members were:
Elizabeth Ayers, Florence Balmer, Bernice Berry, Nettie Berry, Ruth Berry, Josephine Blodgett, Inez S. Carman, Belle M. Coursen, Charles Dewey, Harriett Dunning, Jane Gordon, Helen Holcomb, Ora L. Holcomb, Helen Porter, Maude French, Martha Forrest, Daisy Newell, Berdina Porter, Mabel Strong; Horton Berry, Jesse Carmon, Charles F. French, Merton S. Gordon, Matthew H. Holcomb, Isaac Kiersted, Clarence E. Newell, Leon B. Toby.
Two members were accepted by transfer, those being Ora Kerrick and Ethel Harkness. Those initiated the same evening were:
Vernon E. Ameigh, Virginia Ameigh, Florence DeWitt, Dora Harkness, Harry Kerrick, Blanche Lewis, Fred Lewis, Raymond Smith, Grace Smith, Louise Tears, Pearl Youmans, Densy Ward.
In the beginning meetings were held upstairs in the old Grange Hall and were there until January 1929 when they moved into the Old Town Hall in front of the present truck stop. Then the Odd Fellows (IOOF) bought the land where Neil’s Station is now and built a new hall. They met there until the Odd Fellows could no longer maintain the upkeep of the building and it was sold to Don Holcomb in April of 1941 for a garage. They then moved upstairs over the old Strong and French store and were there until September 9, 1963 when the store was sold and they had to move. They moved back to the old Grange Hall (now the Lion’s Club Building) and were there until the building was sold. On October 25, 1971 they moved into the church annex. They were there until the new Township Building was completed and in June of 1974 they moved into that building and were there until the Lodge consolidated with the Golden Star Rebekah Lodge No. 462 of Troy in September of 1980.
During those years, three members were honored for 50 years of service in their Lodge: Ora Kerrick, Maude French and Grace Smith. Six 40 year members were: Josephine Blodgett, Helen Cease, Mabel Strong, Marie Heath, Bernice Kilgore, and Charlotte Pettingill. They were honored by having two District Deputy Presidents from their Lodge: Charlotte Pettingill in 1948-49 and Florence Peet in 1960-61. On November 9, 1976 the Lodge was presented a bi-centennial flag in memory of Charlotte Pettingill’s mother, Myrtle Millard, who had been a very faithful worker in the lodge.
In the early history of the county, whiskey was deemed a cure for all ills. The man who built a distillery was regarded as a public benefactor in furnishing a market for grain and cheapening a necessary article of consumption. It was considered no offense against good morals to make sell or use liquor. Deacons in the church owned and operated distilleries. Ministers and church members indulged in the strong drink often to intoxication. Old and young, men and women all imbibed.
Good men saw the evil and began to find means to avert the danger. The "Washington Movement" was inaugurated and swept across the continent revolutionizing public sentiment and reforming public morals; teaching sobriety and seeking to lead men to abstain from intoxicating drinks. In 1829 there was a general awakening on the subject in Bradford County. Lecturers visited nearly every locality. Temperance societies were organized in many small towns.
For nearly twenty years the Washingtonians were the only temperance societies in the country. They were succeeded by the "Sons of Temperance" whose membership was confined to males above 20 years of age. After them came the Independent Order of Good Templars which was a firmer organization. In 1854 there were 67 lodges in the county and in 1877 Bradford claimed the honor of being the banner county in the world for Good Templarism. A few years later every lodge in the county had passed away.
In 1877 what was known as the "Murphy Movement" began in various parts of the county and great numbers signed the pledge. Meetings were held in small towns in school houses, churches and public halls. The pledge cards, signed and read: "With malice toward none and charity for all, I the undersigned do pledge my word and honor, God helping me, to abstain from all intoxicating liquors as a beverage, and that I will by all honorable means encourage others to abstain."
The Temperance Society of South Creek was renewed in August of 1915 with an address by Lee Hertel on his lawn. Officers at the time were Arthur Chase, President; Lee Hertel, Vice President; William Thompson, Secretary; and William Goodwin, Treasurer.
WOMENS CHRISTIAN TEMPERANCE UNION
In the 1880’s a Womens Christian Temperance Union was organized in Bradford Co., the purpose being to band together for the protection of the home, the abolition of liquor traffic, and the triumph of Christ’s Golden Rule in custom and in law.
Just when the Gillett W.C.T.U. was formed is not known. We do know that in 1935 there was a Loyal Temperance Union which included children six to twelve years of age. There was also a group known as the T.L.B. (the meaning of the initials are unknown) which probably was like the W.R.R. we have today. These include babies up to six years of age and are known as White Ribbon Recruits.
Down through the years, many women from South Creek Township were union members. At one time, Bessie Ameigh collected the dues. In 1957, the Bradford Co. union president asked a group from Berrytown who were members of the Wetona Union to join with Gillett to make it a more workable union.
GILLETT BASEBALL TEAM
The team played through 1920. The diamonds were located at the Gillett school, Babe Yeomans field, and Stephen Lewis's field. They played teams from Bentley Creek and Columbia Cross Rds., among others. One time, they played the Reformatory inmates and beat them 1-0.
Players were: Isaac Kiersted - manager, Sam Craig - pitcher, Lester Newell - coach and short stop, Mark Ayers - right field, Clifford Newell - left field, Dana Andrus - roving, Henry Sawyer - roving, Jesse Strong - catcher, Bert Blodgett - first base, Don Holcomb - second base, Lee Richard - third base, Sherman Thomas - center field.
V.F.W. POST NO. 5655
ROARING RUN MEMORIAL
Charter organized June 10, 1969 with its first meeting held at the South Creek firehouse. Later meetings were held at the South Creek Rod and Gun Club.
- 37 Charter Members -
Harold Ayers, Carrol Bailey, Richard R. Bailey, John C. Close, Jr., Richard M. Comfort, Ulysses R. Culver, *Earlest Dean, *Harold Dean, James W. Demster, William L. Gordon, Menzo D. Halsey, William L. Hansell, Norman L. Harkness, Wayne Harkness, Gary J. Hulslander, Nickola R. Jannett, William Jones, Jr., Hugh C. Kane, Wayner A. Ketchum – First Commander, Charles A. Kilpatrick, William C. Lyon, *Marcus L. MacKinster, Donald R. May, Harry S. Maynard, Lynn D. Maynard, Cecil L. Morgan, Donald E. Mosher, Carl M. Oldroyd, George E. Oldroyd, Oliver H. Owens, *Clyde E. Quinn, Jr., Raymond L. Roy, Howard T. Spencer, Benjamin C. Vandermark, Kenneth R. Walker, Martin H. Wilcox, John C. Wintermute.
(Other members – Paul Bryington, Arthur Culver and Dr. Leon Pepper)
South Creek Lions Club
Orson Bailey, Edward Ballard, Richard Berry, Edward Forcier, William Gordon, Donald T. Holcomb, Matthew K. Holcomb, Earl Kennedy, Alton Kingsley, Carl M. Oldroyd, Millard H. Sterling, Paul Sterling, Franklin A. Tillinghast, Fred Tillinghast, Benjamin C. Vandermark.
Officers – 1977 (their 24th anniversary)
|1st Vice President||LaRue Avery|
|2nd Vice President||Elwin Fitzwater|
|3rd Vice President||Neil Teribury|
Llewellyn Ameigh, Dave Austin, LaRue Avery, Richard Berry, Llewellyn Brown, John Chambers, Arthur Culver, John Earley, Ron Finnerty, Elwin Fitzwater, Lynn Freeman, Dick Freeman, Tom, Freeman, Richard Hall, Wendall Harkness, Donald Holcomb, Jerry Kennedy, Jim Kerr, Larry Keug, Ronald Leonard, Gerald May, Lester Maynard, Lynn Maynard, Gerald Morgan, Harmon Morgan, Max Morgan, Milo Morgan, Leo Newell, Carl Oldroyd, Dennis Oldroyd, Walter Oldroyd, Oliver Owens, Doug Phillips, Carl Reeser, David Saunders, Keith Seymour, Richard Shoff, Sr., Charles Silvernail, Richard Smith, Stanley Sterling, Steve Sterling, Paul Sterling, Don Stickley, Neil Teribury, Franklin Tillinghast, Benjamin Vandermark, Gary Webster, Richard Wood, Elmer Young.
HISTORY OF THE SOUTH CREEK LION’S CLUB
The local club was founded in the fall of 1951. The first organization meeting was held in the home of Lion Ben Vandermark, with members of the Troy Lion’s Club. From then on, for a number of years, they met in various places until they began meeting in the present building several years ago. The club was chartered in April of 1952 at a supper held in the Gillett Baptist Church with fifteen members. During the next twenty-five years membership grew from twenty-five to fifty.
The club sponsors numerous projects and activities. Little League Baseball for local children has been sponsored for over twenty five years. The club maintains its own park. At one time the club sponsored local Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. Projects like Eye Research; Leader Dogs for the Blind; Beacon-Lodge; Northeast Eye Bank; Hearing Conservation for the Deaf are a few of the Lions’ parent organization projects.
The local Lions have contributed much to the community service. They give to needy families at Christmas and donate to fire victims. They sent children to Philadelphia for possible eye transplant examinations. They sponsored a blind Boy Scout’s trip to the Blind Olympics in Colorado.
Service project finances come from many projects that in themselves benefit our community. Chicken barbeques, dances, broom sales, raffles, fish fries, suppers, and rummage sales are all put on by the Lions and their ladies. The women play an important role in the success of the organization.
November 20, 1982 marked the thirtieth anniversary of the local club. Noted at that time were recent activities. Over the past five years they sent a year-old boy to South Carolina for a leg operation. A benefit dance raised $400.00 for the boy. Donations to the Little League and maintenance of the park continued. Over the past two years donations were given to the Exchange Student Program, for a lady to have eye surgery, for a member’s son who had a long term illness, to the local church for needy families and the new Baptismal, and to the Troy Hospital for blood pressure machines.
Other activities included furnishing sickroom equipment on loan, conducting auctions to raise money and improvements on the building that now houses the club. The club is a very versatile service organization that has greatly enhanced the community.
South Creek Rod and Gun Club
The first South Creek Rod and Gun Club was formed sometime in 1933 or 1934. It lay dormant from 1938 until January 31, 1954 when it was re-activated with John Earley as President; Robert Tillinghast, Sr., Vice President; Elwyn Wrisley, Secretary and Norman Robbins, Treasurer.
At first, meetings were held in homes or at the Fassett Grange Hall. They purchased ¾ of an acre of land on the Roaring Run Road from Earl and Patricia Walker. They later acquired 14 more acres of land.
On July 10, 1956, with John Earley as Chairman, a big membership drive and donation program was put on to obtain money to erect their own clubhouse. In 1960 they had a busy year under the leadership of President John Earley; Vice President Raymond Smith; Treasurer Paul Kempfer; Secretary Florence Peet and Trustee Merton Harkness. In May of that year, a new pheasant park was erected on the Elwin Wrisley property by some of the members. In June they received 250 pheasants from the State. The last of August most of these were released. Ninety-six hen pheasants were held over for release in the spring.
In October of 1960 a chicken barbeque banquet was held in the Gillett Church Annex for the Pennsylvania State Foxhunters who had held their field trial at Fassett. On September 4th, under the management of Robert Tillinghast, Sr. and George Wilson, Sr., the annual horseshoe pitching tournament was held on the club grounds. On November 6th, a trap trophy shoot was held. The three trophies were won by Robert Tillinghast, Jr., 1st; Clayton Mallory, 2nd; and Wayne Campbell 3rd. The trap team consisting of Elwood Mallory, Robert Tillinghast, Sr., Dale Tillinghast and Merton Harkness competed at Troy and Ridgebury Rod and Gun Club trap teams. South Creek came in 1st, beating Troy by just a few birds. On December 4th first prize at the rifle trophy shoot was won by Lynn Congdon, Jr., second prize was taken home by Harry Benny. Also in December they held their annual Buck Pool. Phil Leonard took 1st prize by entering the largest rack. Clayton Mallory took 2nd prize and lady member Virginia Early took 3rd prize.
During the year a number of bench rest shoots were held. That year the club joined the National Bench Rest Association. Four meets were scheduled for the club grounds at South Creek, one being the Pennsylvania State Meet. Many picnics were held that year with monthly meetings following. A number of improvements were made to the clubhouse and grounds. The fish committee got five streams approved for fish and South Creek was stocked.
Officers for the year of 1962 were President Jerry Arnold; Vice President Paul Kempfer; Treasurer Elwin Wrisley; Trustee Jim Earley and Secretary Rosamond Tillinghast.
Jerry Arnold broke the world’s record in 100 and 200 yard shooting at one of the scheduled bench shoots. Paul Kempfer was the Eastern Regional Champion at Dryden, N.Y. 615 trout were stocked in the following streams: Carman Run, South Branch of Seeley Creek, South Creek, Bucks Creek and Roaring Run. 234 ringnecks were released. 50 new chairs were purchased and the club’s note was paid off at the bank. Flood lights were installed on the grounds and numerous other improvements were made.
On November 19, 1961 the trap trophy shoot was won by Robert Tillinghast, Jr. and he got to keep the club trophy as his name had been on it three times. The open trophy was won by Robert Tillinghast, Sr. The December 3rd rifle shoot resulted in a tie between Jerry Arnold and Robert Tillinghast, Jr. Jerry won in the shoot-off and chose the open trophy.
Six Rod and Gun clubs – Painted Post, Canton, Lamb’s Creek, Roseville, Troy and South Creek competed in a trap shoot held at Alparon Park. South Creek came in 1st with Lamb’s Creek 2nd and Troy 3rd. South Creek was represented by Elwood Mallory, Clayton Mallory, Robert Tillinghast, Sr., Robert Tillinghast, Jr., and Dale Tillinghast.
First place in the buck pool that year was won by LaRue Smith of Pine City with a 9-point buck. Robert Tillinghast took 2nd place and Mary Jane Arnold won 3rd. The Rod and Gun Club is now mostly rifle shooting. On August 7-10, 1969 the National Varmit Rifle Championship Shoot was held. Among the 166 competitors was Warren Page who write for Field and Stream magazine. Mike Walker and Jim Steckle of Remington Arms and Ed Shillen of Shillen Guns, Dallas, Texas were there and the Hart Brothers of Hart Barrels, Inc., just to mention a few of the shooters. Some 18 or 20 states were represented at this shoot.
The National Bench Rest Rifle Association president was present to award the trophies for this match. This match had the best turnout of shooters of any national match being held. The Pennsylvania State Bench Rest Shoot was also held at the Rod and Gun Club with a very large attendance.
AMEIGH VALLEY IRREGULARS
Black Powder Shooters Club
The organization began in October 1979. Charter members were:
Arlene Barnes, Joseph Barnes, Morton Barnes, Sherman Barnes, Roger Burris, Wayne Earley, Dean Gordon, Emery Knapp, Eleanor Lee, Lester Lee, Walter Lee, Carl Meisner, Joyce Meisner, James Muth, Dennis Packard, Leatrice Packard, Robert Packard, Rodney Rockwell, Thomas A. Steves, Curt Voorhees, Frank Zemanak.
There seems to be no record of the Girl Scouts prior to the early 1960’s. At that time, Myrna Welch and Pat Root became leaders of the older Girl Scouts while Mae Clink and Shelva Cole became leaders of the Brownies. After 1963, Joyce Hall, Peggy Brown, and Joyce Berry assumed leadership of the Junior and Senior Girl Scouts. Meetings were held after school in the former parsonage where Mr. And Mrs. William Vargson, Sr. now live.
The Boy Scouts were sponsored by the Gillett Baptist Church and started under the direction of Rev. J. Sydney Kane, Sr. in 1926. Meetings were held in the church annex. The first members included Burdette Passmore, Edgar Congdon, Walter Woodhouse, Eugene Saunders, Glen Lewis, Dave Faulkner, and Raymond Smith, Jr.
SOUTH CREEK’S FIRST EAGLE SCOUT
Peter Forcier was the first Boy Scout in the area to become an Eagle Scout. The ceremonies were at Gillett Baptist Church on April 9, 1957. He was a member of Explorer Post No. 85, sponsored by the South Creek Lions Club. He was the son of the Explorer Advisor, Raymond Forcier, and his wife, of Gillett. The post, six months old, consisted of twelve local youths. Nine other scouts received awards during the ceremony. Chester Jelliff, Sam Heath, Gene Benson, and Tom Freeman received their Life Scout Badges. Alfred Wilkes, Glenn Craig, Dennis Woodward, James Kennedy, and John Darrow were given their Star Scout Badges. Simultaneously, three members of Troop 85, Boy Scouts, were awarded Star Scout Badges. These were: George Gurnsey, Norman Robbins, and Lynn Lewis. The troop had twenty members, was also sponsored by the Lions Club, and the scoutmaster was Alan Kingsley. The troop was three years old at the time.
GILLETT 4H DAIRY CLUB
This organization was founded in 1948 by Hugh Berry and Dana Harkness assumed leadership in 1953. Their purpose is to improve the quality of raising cattle. The club tours the area farm with the county agent to rate the farm animals. Each member is responsible for raising his or her own calf.
SOUTH CREEK AMBULANCE ASSOCIATION
The South Creek Ambulance Association started in 1978.
Paul Bryington, Debbie Colavita – EMT, Bill Congdon – Helper, Darlene Houston – EMT, Arlene Jones, Dale Kress, Linda Lathrop – EMT, Max Lathrop – EMT, Linda Leonard – EMT, Rex Maynard, Virginia Maynard, Carolynn Mickley – EMT, Celeste Mickley – EMT, Clair Mickley – EMT, Darryl Mickley, Helen Mickley – EMT, Bob Poulin, David Rockwell, Howard Stone II, Robert West – EMT, Frances Whitesell – EMT.
Jim Ameigh, Sharon Ameigh – EMT, Joann Avery – RN, Laura Balmer – RN, Peggy Brown – RN, Al Colavita, Steve Culver, Jim Earley, Dick Ellis, Anna Leonard, Bob Silvernail, Shirley Teribury, Neil Teribury, Jack Tice, Fred Tongue, Jr., Ralph Verdolini.
South Creek Ambulance
SOUTH CREEK VOLUNTEER FIRE CO.
After four meetings the South Creek Volunteer Fire Company took form on October 7, 1962 at a meeting held at the Fassett Grange Hall. It was attended by about 25 local men. Officers were elected and information on legal formalities necessary to the venture were instituted. The name South Creek Volunteer Fire Co., Inc. was chosen. Charter members were:
Llewellyn Ameigh, Byron Ames, *Gerald Arnold, *LaRue Avery, *Orson Bailey, Kenneth Boston, Lloyd Chase, John Curren, *John B. Earley, John J. Earley, Earl J. Foster, Andrew Gee, Sr., Andrew Gee, Jr., *Kenneth Gleason, *Lyman Gleason, Gerald Grantier, Samuel Heath, Jr., Donald Hicks, Donald Holcomb, Elwood Jackson, William Jones, *Arthur Kempfer, Paul Kempfer, *Cola Maynard, Lynn Maynard, Rexford Maynard, Richard Maynard, Clair H. Mickley, Cleon Mickley, Charles Miller, *Lewis Rhoades, Charles Roberts, Charles T. Root, Charles Silvernail, Robert Silvernail, Franklin Tillinghast, Robert Tillinghast, Sr., *Lewis Tillinghast, Harold Wagner, Jr., Allen Weed, *George Williams.
The first fire station was housed in a double garage belonging to William Jones. South Creek’s first truck was obtained October 8, 1962. It was a 600 gallon 1946 Chevrolet tanker donated by Bailey and Hanson Fuel Oil Distributors of Fassett, Pa. It was equipped with 50 feet of 2½ inch and 500 feet of 1½ inch 100% Dacron hose and a 275 GPM Gorman Rupp portable pump.
The Ladies Auxiliary was also formed in 1962. They held many money-raising activities to help the firemen get started. The Auxiliary is still an active part of the Fire Co.
In February 1963 a 375 GPM 1938 Diamond T Pumper was purchased by the firemen from Erin, N.Y. for the sum of $250.00. South Creek’s first fire was a chimney fire at Lyman Shaw’s house across the street from the fire station. On Ash Wednesday, February 12, 1964, the Fire Station and some equipment were destroyed in a $20,000 fire.
In April 1964 a 1958 Chevrolet truck was purchased and a tank that could hold 1100 gallons of water was donated by Bailey and Hanson Fuel Oil Distributors. The volunteers set about preparing this truck for service. In July 1964 ground was broken for the new fire station. Land for the new station was purchased from Alex Yeomans and the volunteers set about clearing the land for the building near where the old excelsior factory had stood. A 1935 Ford 500 GPM pumper was purchased from the Ulster Fire Dept. in August of 1964. Dedication ceremonies were held on December 6, 1964 for the new building. Work continued to progress and in 1968 a 1948 Chevrolet pumper was purchased from the Justus, Pa. Volunteer Fire Co.
Many improvements were added to the new building. The Ladies Auxiliary along with the firemen painted the dining hall and purchased tables and chairs. A new larger stove was added to the kitchen and stainless cooking utensils were purchased. Dinners were held once a month for the public by the ladies and each Mother’s Day the men put on the dinner.
In 1971 the firemen purchased a 1963 Ford C700 truck from Curtis Wholesale Co. of Elmira, N.Y. A 1500 gallon capacity tank was purchased separately and the volunteers assembled and refinished the truck. By November of that year the fire company had a beautiful white 1500 gallon capacity tanker for use to answer fire calls and it was entered in many parades. In 1973 the South Creek Volunteer Fire Co. had 76 members listed on the rolls. Their equipment included two tanker trucks, two pumper trucks, and the 1938 Diamond T pumper. They were host for the N.Y. – Penn Volunteer Fireman’s Association Convention that year.
The next ten years saw them acquire tanker 1 in 1974, tanker 2 in 1973, and build a brush wagon in 1974. Brush wagon 2 in 1975 was borrowed from the Pa. Dept. of Forest and Waters. Engine 1 was purchased in 1980. Engine 2 was not yet in service in 1982. They again hosted the N.Y. – Penn Convention that year. A large addition was added to the building in 1981 and 1982. The communication room was renovated in 1980. In 1982 a Rescue Van was built from a bread truck donated by Stroehmann Bros., Station 2 was added in 1979 to house the equipment. The Fire Company is currently in the process of purchasing more land from Alex Yeomans for the purpose of adding on to Station 1 (Fassett) so all equipment can be under cover.
Gold Card Life Members are:
Llewellyn Ameigh, William Congdon, *John B. Earley, John J. Earley, Earl J. Foster, Andrew Gee, Jr., Andrew Gee, Sr., William Jones, Clair H. Mickley, *Lewis Rhoades, Charles T. Root, Charles R. Root, Robert Silvernail, Franklin Tillinghast, Fred Tongue, Jr., Harold Warner, Jr., Alex Yeomans.
Deceased Members 1972-73:
William Beechey, Sr., Louis Tillinghast.
South Creek Fire Station I.