A.D. Hinkley & Co., Merchant
Atlas of South Creek, Bradford County
BOUGHTON, D. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 2
BRAGA, H.G. – mfgr. all kinds of cooper ware, South Creek
BALMER, J. – farmer, dairyman & mfgr. of lumber, State Line
COE, C.E. – propt. public house, Main St., South Creek
COLE, J.H. – physician, Main St., South Creek
CHASE, J. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 4
DUNHAM, Geo., Jr. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 2
DUNHAM, Geo., Sr. – farmer and dairyman, State Line
DUNHAM, J.E. – farmer, State Line
DUNNING, D.F. – custom miller and dealer in lumber, shingles & grain, Dist. No. 3
DRAKE, J.H. – propt. of Crystal Springs Trout Ponds, State Line
FASSETT, S.M. – farmer and dairyman, State Line
FERRIS, J.J. – mfgr. of lumber, shingles, lath, etc., State Line
FULLER, Alanson – farmer and carpenter, Dist. No. 5
GILLETT, John F. – mfgr. and dealer in lumber, also farmer and dairyman, Main St., South Creek
GORDON, J. – mfgr. of lumber, shingles, lath, etc., Dist. No. 3
HAKES, L.F. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 4
HAMMOND, A. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 3
HUMPHREY, G.E. – miller and merchant, Dist. No. 3
INGERSOLL, N.S. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 3
KLINE, Margaret T. – Dist. No. 6
MASON, James – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 5
MOORE, W.H. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 4
PETTINGILL, S.B. – postmaster and dealer in dry goods, groceries, etc. Main St., South Creek
PITT, J.T. – propt. of "South Creek Center House"; also farmer and dairyman, cor. Main and R.R. Sts.
REED, N. – farmer and dairyman, State line
SMITH, Seymour – supervisor N.C.R.W. Res. 62 College Ave., Elmira, N.Y.
THOMPSON, S.L. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 4
THOMPSON, A.H. – farmer and dairyman, Dist. No. 3
VAN WERT, John A. – farmer and carpenter and joiner, Dist. No. 1
WATKINS, S. & S.S. – farmers and dairymen, also agts. for the "Union Mowing Machine," Dist No. 2
YOUNG, J.E. – mfgr. of boots and shoes, South Creek
YOUNG, J.M. – postmaster and asst. Int. Rev. Assessor, also dealer in dry goods, groceries, patent medicines, boots, shoes, hardware, crockery, etc., State Line
1900 BRADFORD CO. DIRECTORY
AMEIGH, George M. – (Gillett) blacksmith
BALMER, James – (Fassett) R3, Agent McCormick Harvesting Machine Co. and Champion Road Machine & Stone Crusher, farmer (60 acres)
BERRY, Wm. H. – (Gillett) piano tuner, Main St.
BOUGHTON, Sidney A. – (Bentley Creek) R37, repairer of bicycles and light machinery, dealer in and repairer of watches, clocks and jewelry
BRYAN, David W. – (Gillett) blacksmith, wagonmaker, Railroad St.
BRYAN, George – (Gillett) R35, Blacksmith, Railroad St.
CHASE, Alice S. – (Gillett) R35, carpet and rug weaver
CHASE, John H. – (Gillett) R26½, grower of and dealer in choice strawberry plants and strawberries
CHECKERVILLE SKIMMING STATION – (Bentley Creek) R36 A.E. Allyn and D.P. Stephens props.
COREY, Harry B. – (Gillett) lawyer, head Broadway St.
CROSSETT, Arthur W. – (Fassett) R4, carriage and wagonmaker and carriage painter
FERGUSON, Cora M. – (Fassett) R4, dressmaker
DEWEY BROS. (Charles P. & Elmer O.) – (Gillett) – dealers in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, hardware, agents for Deering Harvesting Machinery, wagons, plows, harrows, harnesses, etc. Main St., cor. Broadway
DUNNING, David F. – (Gillett) R31, station agent, Northern Central Railroad dealer in coal, fertilizers
DUNNING, GRIST MILL – (Gillett) R27, Giles F. Viele, prop.
GEE, Richard S. – (Fassett) R4, (Kenyon & Gee) blacksmith
GILLETT HOUSE, – (Gillett) Frank L. Harkness, Main cor. Railroad
GOLDSMITH, Edward – (Fassett) R3, tobacco grower
GORDON, Seeley – (Gillett) R27, tobacco grower (2 acres)
GORDON, William – (Gillett) R28, tobacco grower (1½ acres)
HALL, Judd V. – (Gillett) photographer, dealer in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes and bicycle sundries, agent Osborne Harvesting Machinery and farm implements; jewelry repairing a specialty, Main St.
HUNT BROTHERS, (Fred H. and Harry) – (Fassett) R1, contractors and builders
JENKINS, George R. – (Gillett) carpenter and builder, Glen St.
KENYON, Adelbert L. – (Fassett) R5, (Kenyon & Gee) blacksmith
KENYON & GEE – (Fassett) R4, general blacksmithing, carriage making and repairing
KIERSTED, Isaac – (Gillett) carpenter and builder, Glen St.
LEWIS, James R. – (Gillett) off R30, apiarist, 60 colonies, breeder Durham cattle
MESSING, Andrew – (Fassett) R4, manager Magnolia Stock Farm for Thomas S. Flood of Elmira
MOORE, Charles E. – (Gillett) sawyer, Main St.
MOORE, Charles F. – (Gillett) prop. portable saw mill, employs 8 men, cuts 10,000 ft. per day, h & l, Main St.
PARSONS, Amos W. – (Gillett) R16, apiarist, 30 colonies, breeder Durham cattle
PASSMORE, John E. – (Gillett) dealer in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, wholesale dealer in and shipper of hay and straw, agent for harrows, plows and horse rakes, Main St.
PITT, Wm. S. – (Gillett) prop. livery, Main St.
ROBY, Clyde D. – (Gillett) wagon maker, Main St.
SAWDEY, Fred – (Gillett) R27, peddler
SCOTT, Hiram W. – (Fassett) R4, mason
SMITH, Fred S. – (Fassett) R4, general merchant
STRONG, George W. – (Fassett) R4, general merchant
SWARTWOOD, Frank W. – (Bentley Creek) R22, assessor, auctioneer, farmer 93A
VAN WERT, John A. – (Fassett) R4, carpenter and builder
VERNIER, John W. – (Gillett) R29, carpenter and builder
VIELE, Giles F. – (Gillett) R27, prop. Dunning Grist Mill
WESTERN BRADFORD CREAMERY – (Gillett) W.J. Wilson, Pres., Amos Parsons, Secy.; John Passmore, Treas.; mfgrs. creamery butter, Main St.
WHEELER Willis M. – (Gillett) general blacksmith, horse shoeing a specialty, Main St.
WILSON, Mary E. – (Gillett) R26, dressmaker
1907 BRADFORD COUNTY DIRECTORY
ABER, Lee – (Gillett) prop. Gillett House
AVERY, M.E. – (Gillett) coal dealer
AYERS, George W. – (Gillett) dealer general mdse.
BAKER, Orville G. – (Gillett) rfd 56, blacksmith
BOUGHTON, Blanche – (Gillett) milliner
BRYAN, David W. – (Gillett) blacksmith
COREY, Harry B. – (Gillett) attorney at law
CREAMERY, D.R. STEPHENS CO. – Floyd D. Tracy, buttermaker
DEWEY BROS., CHARLES P. & ELMER O. – general merchants, agents Deering Mchry.
DEWEY, Charles P. – (Towanda) Register and Recorder of Bradford Co.
DEWEY, Elmer O. – (Gillett) merchant, postmaster
DEWEY, Frank – (Gillett) carpenter, farms Ridgebury Twp.
DRAKE, William – (Col. X Rds.) rfd 60, buttermaker
DUNNING, Lou B. – (Gillett) rfd 58, carpenter
FORREST, Martha – (Gillett) dressmaker
GARNIER, Wm. H. – (Gillett) blacksmith (bds. Dave Bryan)
HALL, Judd V. – (Gillett) painter
HARKNESS, O.E. – (Gillett) carpenter
JENKINS, George – (Gillett) carpenter
KIERSTED, Isaac – (Gillett) carpenter
MAHAFFEY, Isaac J. – (Gillett) Justice of Peace
PASSMORE, John A. – (Gillett) merchant
PASSMORE, John E. (Passmore & Son)
PASSMORE, William H. – (Gillett) carpenter and painter
PERRY, C.H. – (Fassett) blacksmith
PHILBRICK, Clarence E. – (Fassett) glass cutter
PITT, Merton C. – (Gillett) coal dealer
SAWDEY, Fred – (Gillett) rfd 58, agent for Bliss Native Herbs
SHIRNER, Frank – (Fassett) poultry dealer
STRONG, George W. (Fassett) merchant, postmaster
TRACY, Floyd – (Gillett) buttermaker (bds. Geo. Jenkins)
TUNICLIFF, Sevelon – (Gillett) blacksmith
TUNICLIFF, Seward – (Gillett) blacksmith
VIELE, Giles – (Gillett) rfd 58, miller, o mill & lot
MAY 14, 1915 South Creek Township
COURSEN, Belle M. – feed
CARMON, J.A. – general merchandise
DRAKE, W.F. – general merchandise
DEWEY, C.P. – general merchandise
PASSMORE, J.E. & SON – general merchandise
PITT, M.C. – coal
STRONG, G.W. (to 1926) – general merchandise
Fassett Business Then and Now
Louie’s Sharpall – tool sharpening – Operated by William Louis Johnson. Began 1982.
Earley’s Diner – 1952-1953. Owned and opoerated by John and Virginia Earley. It was sold to Walt and Mabel Mitchell in 1955. Tom Watts ran a grocerette there in the 1970’s.
George Brougham – was born in Lopez, Pa. and was an artist and painter of landscapes, portraits of dogs and game birds. He favored water colors, although he used oil paintings upon request. Mr. Brougham learned to draw at a very early age. After World War I he studied at the University of Montpellier in France. Later he took an ICS Fine Arts Course. He then became interested in drawing cartoons and studied under the famous cartoonist Eugene (Zim) Zimmerman.
He was chief tool designer at Remington Rand in Elmira for many years. He moved from Elmira to Gillett. He had a house built in Fassett and moved there about 1935. He married first Adele Bellows, and after her death he married Nellie Wilcox Schrader of LeRoy. She is also well-known in the area as a writer of children’s stories, some of which have been professionally published.
Mr. Brougham signed his paintings with the pen name of George DeBrougham. His works have been displayed at many exhibits including Mansfield State College, (now Mansfield University of Pennsylvania), Arnot Art Gallery, Elmira, N.Y., Bucknell University, Pa. and Everhart Museum. He once painted a portrait of Jacqueline Kennedy which he gave to Robert Kennedy after John Kennedy’s assassination. Mr. Brougham was also a very talented photographer.
Glady’s Raplee – did Tole-painting and had a shop in her home which is the former Lawrence and Henrietta Bailey home. 1967-1975.
Philo Fassett Home today.
Philo Fassett Home – was a half-way house. In 1832 Mr. Fassett added a barroom to his house and opened it as a hotel. He continued on in that business for over 30 years. It was a stage coach stop and livery stable where drivers changed teams. It was later owned by Thomas Flood, an Elmira druggist and managed by Andrew Messing (1900). He raised carriage and race horses under the name of Magnolia Stock Farm. He sold and shipped one horse to England for $20,000. The Magnolia Race Track was located across the road from the hotel. The property is now owed by Alex Yeomans.
C.H. Perry – operated a blacksmith shop in Fassett in 1907.
Paul Balmer, Sr. – purchased land where Leon Updike lived in 1978 and made a used car lot. Later Paul bought and moved his business to the former Hall Motor Co. in Troy. Paul Balmer, Jr. and his brother Eugene now operate G. & S. Used Cars there since 1981.
Albert Golden – moved to Fassett from his parents’ home on the Mott Town Road in Gillett where LeRoy Heib later lived. Albert and his wife Barbara opened a garage and Atlantic Gas Station in 1949 and continued until 1965.
State Line (Fassett) Station – Built by Isaac J. Mahaffey and owned and operated by George W. and Mary Mason Strong in 1891. It burned to the ground and was rebuilt before 1906. They ran the store and station for 40 years before the property was sold to Lewis and Fannie Benson of Columbia Cross Roads in April of 1926. An article was written in the Star Gazette in 1937 regarding the Bensons and their care and treatment of accident victims near their home in Fassett. Many motorists failed to negotiate the old curve on the bridge near the railroad tracks. (The old bridge was put in in 1915). After acquiring bloodstains on their carpets, they carried water outside to wash blood off the victims first. They administered first aid and called a doctor when necessary. Mrs. Benson always kept a good supply of first aid items on hand. They were often awakened in the middle of the night by the sound of another accident. These averaged about 100 annually before the road was straightened in 1950. The cars often went into the creek which was about 12 feet deep. Fannie was Justice of the peace for over 20 years, and was organist in the Fassett Baptist church for many years. Lewis Benson was an apiarist and State Bee Inspector for several years.
Emerson and Laura Wilcox purchased the building in April of 1948 and Lew and Fannie moved into the present home of Howard and Doris Stone. Samuel and Mildred Kerrick operated the store for a time and Norman Robbins bought it in 1958. The present owners, Rex and Virginia Maynard purchased the building in 1959 and ran a grocery store for a time before converting the rooms into living quarters.
Fassett Station 1907.
Left to right: Mrs. Mason, Josephine Strong, George Strong (in doorway), Marge Strong, Bessie Strong, Jim Bromley (holding child), Frazier Berk, Clair Johnson, (boy holding Grit bag unidentified), last boy possibly Jesse Strong.
Emerson Wilcox – had a watch and clock repair service in his home in the 1940’s and 50’s. Emerson and his wife Laura bought the Fassett Railroad Station in April of 1948 and began his business there. Later they purchased the home where Mike and Glenda Tillinghast live and continued his business there.
Owen’s Rancho Grocery and Luncheonette – built before the Civil War by Isaac J. Mahaffey. T. M. Young has a store and post office there in 1869. C. Fred Moore operated a store and workshop there (he was also an inventor) after Thomas B. Moore had it in 1900. It was later owned by Alexander Yeomans. His son Alex (Babe) Yeomans operated the store a few years. Other operators were Laura Beach Holmes and Elizabeth Facemyer, Patsy and Florence Golden, Ted and Freda Tillinghast, John and Mae Golden, Robert and Jeanne Tillinghast, Jr. (1960-1961). Lastly it was purchased by Oliver (Pete) and Cora Mae Owens in 1966 who operated a store and lunch counter. They added the larger restaurant in 1970. Across the street was a restaurant operated by Cora Bell. It was later "Ma Sheet’s Diner" and was run by Hazel Sheets from about 1952 until 1970. Oliver and Cora purchased the filling station in 1971. Robert Poulin operated it for a time. It is presently operated by Mr. Owens.
Beechey’s Greenhouse – owned and operated by William and Ada Kempfer Beechey. They began their business after they purchased the present home of Charles and Laura Miller from Dr. H.O. Kingsley about 1935. Later they bought the present home of Orley and Doris Ford and continued the business from about 1946 until 1972.
Red’s Tire Sales – began in 1966 – owned and operated by Charles "Red" Silvernail.
Bailey’s Fuel Oil and Kerosene Trucking and Delivery – operated by Orson Bailey and later became Bailey and Hassen as his wife Agnes’ brother went into business with him. The building was built by L.H. Benson, and Oliver Pelham operated a garage there. Donald T. Holcomb bought and ran the garage from 1931-1941 when he bought the I.O.O.F. Hall in Gillett and started a garage there.
Willard Porter Barber Shop – was across the street in 1933 where Earl Foster lives. The post office was located there for a time. Bob Bachman later ran a snack and ice cream shop nights after school and one weekends in the late 1940’s. The building is no longer there.
Shedden Brothers Auto Sales and Body Repair – owned and operated by Duane Shedden, Jr. and his brother Ronald opened in 1969 and continues now.
Peet’s Hardware – operated in the home of Charles and Florence Peet from 1954-1960.
Shedden’s Wholesale – owned and operated by Dick and Joan Shedden – began in October of 1968 and was Shedden’s Antiques and Home Furnishings until recently when they gradually phased out their line of antiques and added lines of new merchandise. The present barn was built in the early 1920’s. They held dances there for a time. John and Belle Coursen lived there in the 1930’s. They ran a dairy farm and sold bottled milk and ice cream in what was later the garden shed. (Recently moved down back of Sheddens.) Leon Toby carried on the business with Belle after John Coursen died. Ray "Pete" and Merle Shedden carried on the farm after 1942. He was a cattle dealer. Their son Dick is also an auctioneer, having begun this occupation in 1961 after his brother Duane Sr., also an auctioneer, passed away.
Warter’s Pro Shop – owned and operated by Lowell Warters since 1975. Located on Doty Hill Road. He carries bowling equipment, trophies and plaques.
South Creek Volunteer Fire Company – erected in 1964 on land formally owned by Alexander Yeomans. It is formally the site of an excelsior factory operated by Harry and Gurnsey Myers beginning about 1922. It was operated by steam at first.
Lyncon Tool Company – located on Roaring Run Road. Owned and operated by Lynn Congdon, Jr. beginning in 1966.
Clair Jones Used Cars – located on the Roaring Run Road began in 1967 and continues now.
Ma’s Old Fashioned Bottling Co. – owned and operated by Frank Tillinghast and Walter Sparrow, was located on the Roaring Run Road in back of the former Saunders place, presently the home of Robert Tillinghast, Jr.. Bottling equipment was purchased in Pittsburgh, Pa. and moved here in the Spring of 1957. It was set up that summer and by the Fall of that year was in full operation. In the Spring of 1958 Mr. Sparrow sold out his interest to Mr. Tillinghast and moved to Brooklyn, N.Y.. Frank Tillinghast’s company serviced Bradford and Tioga Counties in Pa. and Steuben, Schuyler, and Chemung Counties in N.Y.. In 1962, due to taking over full operation of the family farm, and not being able to get adequate help, Frank sold the bottling equipment to Dr. Anson Lewis, Pine City, N.Y.; who moved it to Caton Ave., Elmira, N.Y.. It was operated at that location until it was finally closed several years later.
Roaring Run Saw Mill – owned and operated by Thomas Nicholson began in 1982 and continues now.
J.C. Kingsland Blacksmith – J.C. Kingsland owned and operated a blacksmith shop near the Sate Line in Fassett from 1873 until 1886 when he moved to Gillett where he continued his trade until about 1891 when he converted his shop into a lecture room where he could explain the habits and temperaments of horses. He could also tell how to handle and properly shoe a horse. He was born July 1, 1854 in Windham Twp. and married Mary Darmsted of Steuben Co., N.Y. in 1877. They were parents of six children.
BusinessES Then and Now IN GILLETT
Berry’s – Hugh and Rena Berry built a roller skating rink across the road from their house. They built it from wood from an old tannery in Troy. They officially opened in 1927. Dances were held there for a few years at first. They built a 55’ x 100’ swimming pool for the public which opened in 1928. Many people also took swimming lessons there. The skating rink and swimming pool both closed in 1956. Hugh and Rena then converted the skating rink into a home before 1970.
Kingsley’s Hatchery – was started by Alton and Helena Close Kingsley in 1936 when they converted a cow barn into a poultry house. They started by raising turkeys. They started hatching chicks for sale about 1937. Alton died in 1959 and the farm was taken over their son Allen and his wife Kathryn (Saxton) Kingsley. They later moved to Penn Yan, N.Y. It was under the management of John C. and Marge Close for several years until they moved to Wellsboro.
In 1970 Kingsley’s had 30,000 laying hens and produced 14,000 eggs daily. They had eleven full-time employees and four part-time employees. The business closed on October 25, 1975. The farm was purchased by Curt and Josephine Sterling about 1977. Mr. Sterling’s parents, Arthur and Josephine Petty Sterling, also live in an apartment in the house.
The chicken coop located about two miles south of Gillett on Route 14 was destroyed by fire on February 7, 1978. A large poultry house across the road (RT. 14) had been destroyed by fire on December 30, 1974.
Kingsley’s was originally owned by S.L. Thompson and later was the home of Heman Lewis. His son, Stephen, was the father of Stephen Lewis who now lives in the former John F. Gillett home.
Swatsworth’s – Stanley Swatsworth operated a Texaco Service Station at his home from 1957-1960. His garage was on the site of the one-room Dunning School. The home was formally owned by Russell Grinnel.
Dunning Station – Northern Central Railroad Shipping Point – The "Half-Way" House was the Dunning home occupied by Eben Dunning who came from Cayuga Co., N.Y. in 1837 and was carried on by Francis L. Dunning. The house contained a large ballroom upstairs where dances were held. It was also a stage stop. Louden Dunning, son of Francis, helped build the Panama Canal. Jesse and Inez (Furman) Carmon ran a Rotary Gas Station there after cars were common. They also had a barroom and lunch room. Jesse had a feed mill at Dunning Station for several years around 1913. Paul and Bertie Dunning lived there for three years and discontinued the bar. They had a small grocery store. Winifred Robbins, a school teacher, inherited the property which was purchased by Kenneth Dunning in 1947. Roy and Florence (Dunning) May lived there until their deaths. LaRue and Dora Ann (May) Avery made it into an apartment house for a few years and in August 19, 1981 they moved back into the house. Janice Dean Stevens’ home was once a way-station and stage stop and horses were changed there. Seeley Gordon lived there at one time.
Ken’s Garage – operated by Ken Stevens from 1974-1982. The home was formally owned by Seeley Gordon, Bill Gordon, and later, Manning Dean. It was a stage stop prior to 1854.
Electra Service – a T.V. service which started in November 1982; leased from Robert and Linda Bump who opened the B and L Second Hand Store there in April 1980. The building was built for Danny and Nancy Thomas who owned and operated Gillett T.V. about 1971-1976.
Byron Ames – had a blacksmith shop at his home where Tom and Sharon Steves live now. He did horse-shoeing there and also at people’s homes.
Ed Chapman – contractor and porcelain repair service.
Tom Steves – ran Tom’s Bottled Gas from his home beginning in June 1965. Dick and Marge Pellor bought the business in April 1971. The home was formally owned by Byron and Bertha Batterson Ames.
William Goldsmith – had a small grocery store located near the home of Frank and Julia Palmer.
Viele’s Grist Mill – was the former Dunning Gristmill located one mil south of Gillett. Mr. Giles Viele had owned a large mill in Troy just this side of where Rts. 6 and 14 merge, where Calkins Trailer Sales was located a few years ago. He purchased the land here from Eben Dunning in 1887 and became proprietor of the mill. His daughter Bessie married Budd Faulkner and his daughter Julia Boyd Viele married Francis Palmer and lived there until 1974. She was 94 years old when she died. Oliver and Cora Owens purchased the home later.
Fred Sawdey – had an ice cream store where John and Ethel Strong live.
Anthony Spears – had a blacksmith shop on Hattie Dunning’s lot. Louden and Hattie Dunning lived where Mr. And Mrs. Daryl Barnes live now. Lou built that house. Curt and Josephine Petty Sterling lived there later; also Reedy and Pearl Hicks. Oliver and Cora Owens also lived there. Eleanor DePaulo lived there when the front part of it burned in 1979.
Dave’s Garage – David Saunders owns and operates a garage and body shop. He sold Snapper garden tractors and the Rupp cycles and snowmobiles. He opened his business in 1969 and continues now.
Jim Impy – had a blacksmith shop about 1910 where LaRue and Elizabeth Saunders live now. Harry and Julia Thompson lived there until 1923. The Saunders moved there in the fall of 1923.
Albert and Josephine Blodgett – ran a hot dog and pop stand at the foot of Saunder’s Hill. They also sold ice cream. Later Lawrence and Margaret Saunders Carney ran a Tydol Gas Station there in the early 1930’s.
John Lewis – ran a milk delivery service with a horse and wagon. Previous owners of the Lewis house were Mert Loomis, father of Lucy Loomis Passmore and Leda Loomis, wife of John Lewis.
The Gillett Development Corporation – began in January of 1960 with 21 stockholders who bought a parcel of land with the purpose of building new homes. Several houses were built on the southern outskirts of Gillett. Black-topped roads connect the homes with the highway. They donated the playground and ball field to the township. They disbanded October 28, 1974.
The first officers were: President Don Holcomb; Vice President, Lynn Freeman; Secretary, Carl Oldroyd; Corresponding Secretary, Wayne Harkness; Treasurer Allan Kingsley.
Lynn Freeman – had Gillett Prefabricated Buildings and Trusses from 1959-1967 in the Lewis barn.
Ben Youman’s Watch Repair – Benjamin and Verne Youmans ran a clock and watch repair shop. They also ran a cider mill at their home in the early 1920’s. Doris Vandermark purchased the Youman home in 1926 and continued the cider mill. Ben and Pearl Youmans and his brother Verne moved to the present home of Jessie Morgenstern.
Willis Wheeler – had a blacksmith shop near Ben Youman’s home. Ivan Tunnicliff was also a blacksmith and helped him. Byron Ames also helped.
Elston’s Store – 1911 – owned by Mr. Hall. Operated by Mr. Elston. Earl and Dora Harkness ran it later. The store was later moved across the street and used for Passmore’s Post office.
William Ayers – ran a store formally owned by Ryans. It burned in 1904. Will was the father of Thomas Ayers and grandfather of Harold Ayers. It was located between Leaman Smith’s apartments and Norman Harkness’ store.
Taylor’s Body Shop – operated by John Taylor from 1978 to present.
Eva Griswold’s Milliner Shop – building was located on the lot where Ben and June Vandermark live now. Was once (1869) store and post office of Philander Pettingill. Later a novelty shop run by Bob Wilson. Eva also had an ice cream parlor with chairs and tables. She was in business in 1923. According to the 1869 Bradford County Atlas and Map this space was occupied by William S. Pitt. He was engaged in the general merchandise business and carried a line of goods of all descriptions adapted to a country trade in 1870. He was proprietor of a livery in 1900.
Bea’s Bargain Shop – built by Clyde and Bea Quinn from lumber from the old Dunning Schoolhouse. The house was occupied later by Charles Warren next to the Gillett Grange Hall. She was in business in the 1960’s.
Harkness’s Store – was the location of Passmore’s Store. In 1884 it was listed as Passmore and Parsons at the time they established themselves in business. It was later owned by Henry S. and Alice D. Patterson and sold on November 27, 1887 to John E. and Olive Passmore. They were dealers in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes; wholesale dealers in and shippers of hay and straw; agents of harrows, plows and horse rakes (1900 Bradford County Directory). In 1907 Mr. Passmore’s Store was "Passmore and Son" and his son, John A., had gone into business with his father.
The land was conveyed from John E. and Olive (Patterson) Passmore on July 2, 1919 to Earl C. Harkness. Charles Roberts operated the store for a year or so. In 1947 under ownership of Wayne and Winifred Harkness, they joined the Red and White Food Stores and continued through most of 1960. Samuel and Winifred (Wheeler) Kerrick rented the store from August of 1960 until his death in May of 1961.
Norman and Shirley (Holcomb) Harkness purchased the store in 1961 and remained in the grocery business until they closed the store in 1969. The post office was housed in the Passmore Store for many years. Olive Harkness was postmaster for many years.
A barber from Elmira Heights had a barber shop in the southwestern corner of the store for a year or so. Otto Morgan was a barber there until 1962 when Ed Vermilya ran the shop until 1977.
Will Ayres’s Store.
Norman Harkness – and his son Don Harkness are now in the contracting, building, and remodeling business.
Empire State Dairy Plant – built in 1917 by Matt Holcomb. The adjoining building and pond built in 1912. Sheffield Farms bought the plant in 1920. Dairymen’s League took it over 1923 to 1926. They tore the building down. It was located up by the railroad tracks in Gillett.
Empire State Dairy Plant.
Wendall Harkness & Tom Furman, Contractors – specializing in building stairways etc. Operate off of Thompson Hill Road.
Neil’s Service Station – site of the Gillett (South Creek Center House) Hotel owned and operated by John F. Gillette. Proprietor 1869 was J.L. Pitt F.L. Harkness was proprietor in 1900. In 1907 Lee Aber ran it. Heman Lewis owned the hotel when it burned in 1912. Earl and Dora Harkness operated it. The IOOF built a building there later and Don Holcomb bought it in 1941 for a garage (Holcomb Service Station) . In 1947 he added the new part and was in business until Neil Teribury bought it in May of 1967 and it became Neil’s Service Station. He sells Chevron Gas at present and also a line of camper equipment.
Helen’s Kut’n Kurl – owned and operated by Helen Holcomb Berry 1944-July 1970. She taught beauty culture for five years after that.
Woody’s Country Store – opened in the last part of June 1970 in the former Strong & French’s building under the proprietorship of Forrest and his wife Jeanne Craig Oldroyd. The store at its present location was built between April and June 1974 by Woody and his father, Carl Oldroyd, with the help of townspeople William Vargson, Jr., Eric Ameigh, and Joseph Ames. The store expanded in 1983 with excavation being done in March by Tom Root Construction Co. and the main building constructed by Milo Morgan in mid-March and April. The interior was finished by Ralph Verdolini in early May, 1983, doubling the original size of the store and taking on the characteristics of a small super market. Plans for the immediate future are the removal of the residence adjoining the southeast corner and for an enlarged parking lot. Woody formally ran Woody’s Egg Service 1968-1970.
Phyl-Carlo Motel and Retirement Center – land for the Phyl-Carlo Motel was purchased from Raymond and Grace Smith by Carl and Phyllis Oldroyd in 1950. The motel was built in 1951 and opened in 1952. It was redecorated in 1976. Annually improved, it is presently under expansion. Recently licensed as a retirement center, it caters to elderly guests and transitory visitors. Carl and Phyllis maintain its operation.
Phyl-Carlo Restaurant – started in the front of the Phyl-Carlo Motel as a 24 foot square building. It opened for business on April 4, 1959. As business grew the building was moved across the road onto its present site purchased from Bert Congdon by Carl and Phyllis Oldroyd, and LaRue and Dora Ann Avery, for another restaurant, the A & O, the Avery’s having decided against the joint venture. The move took place in June of 1961 under Carl’s direction with the help of townsmen, Harry Chamberlain, and two D6 bulldozers. Carl then added a 16x24 dining room and a 20x40 living quarter.
Over the years other additions were made including a 16x24 game room in 1962 and Kelly’s Kreme Kone, a 16x20 addition in 1972. Today, however, the Phyl-Carlo building is all restaurant and serves capacity crowds on holidays. The idea of the salad bar was adopted by Carl and Phyllis after seeing their first salad bar in 1970; it was an instant success.
When the restaurant first opened, the seating capacity was 22. Today it is 100. It is now managed by Phyllis and Carl’s son Kelly and his wife Cindy Oldroyd.
Western Bradford Creamery – located on house north of where Colie and Mae Maynard lived on Main Street. Was in full operation in 1912. Richard Winslow was proprietor. It was later Lou Wood’s Garage and Bill Rozelle’s Blacksmith Shop.
Western Bradford Creamery.
Layton Maynard – had a meat market near the creamery. It was a slaughter house, meat cutting and sales. He peddled meat in the area with a horse and meat wagon.
Lynn Maynard’s Wheel Horse and Snapper Comet Sales and Service – April 1, 1968 to December 31, 1974. He sold Fireview Wood Stoves from 1977 to 1981.
Harmon Morgan – Contractor and Lawn and Garden Equipment Sales – from 1978. Fireview Stoves from 1981.
Milo Morgan – Home Improvements – 1981 to present.
Max Morgan’s Barber Shop – opened for business in 1970; currently in business.
Ralph Roberts Appliance Store – owned and operated by Ralph B. H. Roberts. Located on the corner of Glen and Main Streets. Was in business from 1944-1966. The store is now being remodelled into an apartment by his son Marvin Roberts.
Bob’s Motorcycle Repair Service – operated by Robert Szczech from 1976 to present.
Phyl-Carlo Trailer Park – started in 1973.
Frank Pitt – had an ice cream parlor located near Terrell and Phyllis Ames’ garden at one time.
Oldroyd’s Truck Stop – owned and operated by George Oldroyd – began in 1952 with a 24’ x 32’ building and two gas pumps. He later expanded to 40’ x 72’ building in 1962. First sold Esso gasoline and later the name changed to Exxon. His sons, Dennis and Chuck, later helped with the business. The station closed on May 1, 1976. It was taken over by Freeman Steel 1975-1978. Maynard Congdon of Mosherville operated the station from 1979-1981. Don Spencer operated it from fall of 1982 and it again closed on May 31, 1983.
Oldroyd Plumbing and Heating Service – was started by Chuck Oldroyd in 1982.
First Bank of Troy – Gillett Branch broke ground in May of 1970 and the branch opened its doors on August 17, 1970 for the convenience of South Creek area residents.
Strong & French’s Store – General Merchandise – built 1898 by Charles Dewey and Elmer O. Dewey; opening under the name of Dewey Bros. They began the mercantile business March 4, 1889. Charles Dewey bought out his brother in 1911. Both Dewey brothers were successful business men. Mr. Dewey sold his store and business to his sons-in-law Jesse M. Strong and Charles F. French on March 4, 1921. They changed the name to Strong and French. Mr. Strong died in August 1944 and his wife Mabel took over his share of the business. They continued on in the business until they retired in September of 1963. John and Eleanor Goodell of Ridgebury carried on the business until September of 1964 when the contents of the store were sold at auction.
Forrest "Woody" and Jeanne Oldroyd opened a store in the same building on July 30, 1970 where they remained until 1974 when they built their own store a little south of there.
On June 30, 1975 Clarabelle Decker and Edith Kane went into partnership as "Ye Ole Wagon Wheel Antiques". Edith retired from the business in 1976 and LaRue and Clarabelle bought the old store. They continued under Clara’s Antiques until August of 1982 when their son David opened "Dave’s Sporting Goods" which still remains.
There was a saw mill down back of Strong and French’s run by John F. Gillette.
Strong and French’s Store.
Arlene Sterling’s Leather Crafts – are artistically created leather goods. Among other items, Arlene hand crafts wallets, belts, holsters, gun cases, and art objects. She maintains an outlet in Dave’s Sporting Goods.
T.B. Sanatorium – operated by an Elmira physician around 1900 and located up behind Strong and French’s Store at the intersection of Monkey Run Road and Hi-Run Road.
Red and White Grocery Store – operated by Wallace and Nora Bennett. Nora was a daughter of Dave and Helena Shelton Bryan. Located on the corner of Route 14 and Monkey Run Road. It was later a Fabric Shop operated by Hazel Green and Audrey Root.
North End Garage – built by Lynn Congdon, Sr. Lynn made his own cement blocks. Completed in 1927, Lynn operated it along with Ray Douglas until Ray went to California. Hugh "Carlie" Kane took it over in 1958 and built the Laundromat and Car Wash in 1966. His wife, Edith, ran a beauty shop in one part of the structure called the "Fleur De Lis" from 1936 for several years. In 1968 she and Helen Matthews ran the "Ye Ole Wagon Wheel Antique and Gift Shop" until 1975 when she went into partnership with Clarabelle Decker. Edith retired in 1976.
Dave W. Bryan’s Blacksmith Shop – was sold in the early 1900’s and bought back in 1915 from S. Tunnicliff. Lynn Congdon Sr. began his garage there in 1920. Dave used to post large circus advertisements on a nearby shed whenever the circus can to town. He died in 1938. Lewis and Hazel Dix remodeled the shop into apartments. They also developed the Gillett Trailer Court. Later the Power’s purchased it and presently run the court.
Ivan and Leon Tunnicliff’s Blacksmith Shop – once stood where the township building now stands.
Chase’s Cabins and Service Station – tourist camp and gas station was owned by John Chase and operated as a Shell station by him. Cabins were in operation during the 1930’s. Later Leslie and Genevieve Smith purchased the premises.
Tom Root Construction Company – is owned and operated by Tom Root and began in May of 1972. Work consists of basic excavation along with backhoeing, bulldozing, and soil conservation work.
Stone Villa – Gift and Hobby Shop – was operated by Harry and Blanche Towner out of their home from 1964 to 1973.
Dave Bryan’s Blacksmith Shop. Standing in front – Ray Douglas and Lynn Congdon, Sr.
The Thorndike – ceramic studio, started Aug. 7, 1968. Operated by Audrey Root in the post office building.
Lewis Chicken Ranch Restaurant – former home of John F. Gillette. John Harkness lived there for 40 years. Later owned and operated by Stephen and Harriet Kingsley Lewis. Opened in 1946. It was closed from 1952-1958. It re-opened in 1959 and closed again in 1966. They served to capacity crowds on holidays.
Lewis Skating Rink Building – built in 1948 by Stephen Lewis and Bill Gordon on land now owned by Charles Root. It was open 2 winters. They had music in the building to skate by.