Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Canton's Veterans of Foreign
Wars, Canton, Bradford County PA
|Article - Veterans of Foreign Wars in Canton
|Township: Canton Borough, Bradford County
|Photo by Joyce M. Tice
|Article by Eleanor Keagle submitted by Don
VETERANS OF FOREIGN WARS
Joyce's Search Tip - November 2008
|Do You Know that you can search just the
articles on the site by using the Articles button in the Partitioned
search engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page?
Following several preliminary organization meetings, the first regular
meeting of Canton Lodge No. 714, Veterans of Foreign Wars was held on May
12, 1921, with Commander William McIntosh presiding. In addition to Commander
McIntosh, the following officers were elected: Joseph D. Campbell, Adjutant;
Patrick Morrissey, Quartermaster; Maynard Jenkins, Patriotic Instructor;
Harry Russell, Post Historian.
There were about 36 members, all veterans of the first World War
except John Leishman, who had served in the Spanish-American War. The second
Thursday of the month was selected for the regular meeting night. A special
meeting was held May 26, 1921, at which time men were selected to go to
the Alba and Leroy cemeteries on May 30. All members were requested to
appear in full uniform on Memorial Day, and 26 were present and in line.
Commander McIntosh served two years, and was succeeded by Leslie Allen.
The VFW grew quite rapidly for a time, with three new members being
taken in at a number of the meetings. In 1942, the VFW and the American
Legion formed the Veterans Home Association, and purchased a property on
Lycoming Street. Both organizations held their meetings there until 1948,
at which time the VFW bought out the Legion’s interest and continued to
use the home, making a number of improvements.
At the close of World War Two, a number of veterans were eligible
to join the VFW and the membership showed a great increase. Officers at
this time were Wesley Matson, James Mallory and Edgar Loomis.
Eleanor P. Keagle (1896-1971)