|| Bible Records
Stephen Pierce and Mary Ransom were married August 23rd 1828 at Poultney, County of Rutland and State of Vermont by Rev J B Houghtaling.
Emma J Pierce and Geo F Redington were married October 30th 1865 at Wellsboro, Tioga Co. Penna by Rev J F Calkins.
Emma J P Redington and Robert Ayres were married January 20th 1884 at Troy, Penna by the Rev’d E P Brown.
Stephen Pierce, son of Abiram and Sarah Pierce was born August 29th 1813 at Smithfield, County of Bradford and State of Pennsylvania.
Mary Ransom, daughter of John and Rhoda Ransom was born October 2nd 1813 at Poultney, County of Rutland and State of Vermont.
Children of Stephen and Mary Pierce
Emma Julia Pierce was born July 3rd 1839
Rollin Adelbert Pierce as born May 27th 1842
Clarence Wilmot Pierce was born December 19th 1848
John Ransom Pierce was born October 7th 1851
Stephen Pierce died Feb 12, 1868 aged 54 yrs 5 mos 13 days
Mary Ransom Pierce died March 1st 1884 aged 70 years, 4 months and 28 days.
Clarence Wilmot Pierce died May 19th 1870 aged 21 yrs and 5 mos.
John Ransom Pierce died June 1st 1873 aged 21 yrs 7 mo, 25 days.
Rollin Adelbert Pierce died December 23rd 1886 at Troy, Bradford Co, Pa. Aged 44 yrs 6mos and 27 days
On a white piece of paper was the following information:
Emma P Redington baptized May 4th 1873 by Rev G P Hopkins. Confirmed by Bishop Howe May 5th 1873
Capt Robert Ayres baptized in infancy in R C faith. Confirmed in St Paul’s P E Church Troy Pa by Bishop Talbot.
Died at the residence of her son-in-law, S R Wilber, in Ellery, July 10, Mrs. KEZIAH COWDERY, aged 88 years.
In Ellery, Chautauqua Co, July 14, of Diphtheria OMER O, son of Oliver and Lucena Klock, aged 5 years, ten months and 19 days.
Mr. John R Pierce of whose retirement from business we spoke last week, died at his mother’s residence in this village last Sunday morning. It has been evident for some time that Mr. Pierce could not long survive the advance of the insidious and fatal disease with which he was afflicted, and which is the most terrible scourge of our northern climate; but though not unexpected his death will be a matter for deep and lasting regret to his many friends in this village. The funeral services were held last evening and this morning the remains were removed to Troy, Pa for interment.
The Troy Gazette of last week speaks as follows of the late John R Pierce of this village: "The body of John R Pierce of Wellsboro, was brought to this village for burial, on Tuesday, this week. He was the youngest son of the late Stephen Pierce and a brother of Mrs. G F Redington of this place, and was noted for his ability and his easy and genial manners. He spent his boyhood in Troy, but removed with his father to Wellsboro over a dozen years ago, and has since been a resident of that town. For a year or so he was a student in Mansfield, where he was a general favorite for his qualities of both head and heart. On the death of his father, he became a law student with Mortimer F Elliott Esq. of Wellsboro, but finally gave up the business and entered into partnership with W C Kress in the drug business, buying Mr. Kress out last fall. During the past spring his health began to fail suddenly and consumption which had carried away a loving father and brother was speedily developed and he sank rapidly under its attacks. He had only attained his majority last fall, and his untimely death causes sorrow in the hearts of a multitude of hopeful friends.
June 27 Delos Herrick, a prominent citizen of Troy Township died at Canton, Pa. yesterday afternoon. He had a stroke of paralysis on Monday evening. He remained unconscious until his death. He was about sixty years of age. He was highly respected by all who knew him. His remains were brought home this morning.
Last Wednesday evening Mr. Alfred Wivell died at his home in this borough after a short illness. Mr. Wivell was a native of London, England. He came to this country early in life and has resided in this borough for the past 24 years, following the trade of painter and paperhanger. He was 48 years of age and was a respected citizen of this community. The funeral services w ere held Friday morning under the direction of Tyoga Lodge of Odd Fellows, of which he as a member.
Death of E C Oliver
A week ago Sunday, Edwin C Oliver, one of the most prominent and widest known of our citizens was attacked with inflammation of the bowels which resulted in his death on Tuesday morning of this week. For several days his death was expected and from nearly the first was looked for. Some two years ago he had a severe attack of erysipelas which left the interior membrane of the nasal and Eustachian cavities considerably inflamed, at times causing him severe pain. The inflammation seems to have removed to the intestinal region causing symptoms resembling cholera morbus. These symptoms were so severe as to preclude any hope of recovery. In the death of Mr. Oliver, our town loses one who for many years and in many different relations, chiefly as a businessman, has been prominent.
As a businessman with no clearer head one does our village hold, and the financial success which he attained was secured only through legitimate effort. He built up a fine business, improved the town and one of his last acts was to put up the fine brick block on the ruins of the old Troy Exchange. As a manufacturer his wares had a wide market, and were distinguished by the characteristics of the man, an absence of sham. No better work is turned out any where than by the Oliver manufactories. In his social relations he was a pleasant companion who detested sham, and was a judge of genuine merit. Although a self made man his culture was quite broad and his judgment in literary matters was guided by acute perceptions and a just taste. He was fond of the solid English and American authors. As a side to his character little known even to those who habitually associated with him, we note that he wrote several poems of considerable merit, some of which we have published. As a citizen, he was enterprising, and far seeing, and desirous the real interest of the town. We remember when the discussion of the question of the building of a Graded school in the town was up. He was active in furthering the object and gave the scheme a hearty support. In the Odd Fellows’ Lodge of which he was an honored member and no better Odd Fellow was there who entered more heartily into the spirit of its beautiful ritual. It was meet that the order which he had honored should meet to pay its last sad honors at his funeral.
The services which were conducted at his late residence on Main Street, were led by Rev. G P Sewall, Priam Lodge, I OOF under conduct of J R Willour having charge and members of various neighboring lodges, Sylvania, Canton and Granville Lodges being present. The bearers were Prof J T McCollom, Israel Pierce, Hon Delos Rockwell, Henry S Leonard, Delos Herrick and Brainerd Bowen. C F Sayles had charge of the ceremonies. The casket was moved to the front yard, where, under the rustling maples where he often sat, his friends came to take a last look. The body was buried on Oak Hill cemetery. (Troy, Pa. ) Edwin C Oliver was born in Newark, NJ and at his death was 65 years old. He came to Elmira about 1834 and worked at the cabinet business for several years, and for a while in Tioga County. In 1838 he was married to Miss Eliza Beers, a sister of Major E O Beers of Elmira, and came immediately to Troy. As a singular circumstance it is noted that three young men just married came into Troy together, E C Oliver, G F Redington and Stephen Pierce, and they now lie side by side in the same cemetery. He was the first burgess in Troy Borough which was incorporated in 1845 and in 1848 was elected Justice of the Peace holding his position for two years. In 1864 he ran for the Legislative on the Democratic ticket, and at various times held the office of School Director, etc. Mr. Oliver, not a member of any church was a firm believer in the main truths of the Christian religion and incorporated them into his life. He leaves a wife, two sons, Lyman and Perry, and a daughter, Ellen, to mourn his loss.
Mrs. Julia Ransom Pond, the wife of Col Philip Pond and daughter of the late Col John Ransom of Poultney, departed this life at her home in Castleton village, VT on Sunday evening Sept 25th at the ripe age of 68 years. The funeral services were held in the Liberal Christian church on Wednesday afternoon, and were fully attended by the numerous relatives and the large circle of sympathizing friends. Sister Pond has been connected with the Universalist church for the last thirty years. Castleton, Vt Oct 6, 1870.
The Liberal church was filled to overflowing last Sunday with the crowd of friends who thronged to pay the last tribute of respect to the memory of Colonel Philip Pond. He was born in the town of Poultney, Oct 12, 1796, and was buried on what would have been the seventy-seventh anniversary of his birth. He belonged to a family remarkable for tenacity of life and is survived by five brothers and sisters. He was married in 1823 to Julia Ransom, daughter of the late Col John Ransom of Poultney. Since her death, which occurred in 1870, he has been watching and waiting eagerly for his own summons to join her in a better world. Among his papers was found a copy of the following lines by the late Albert Barnes:
"So glide my life away, and so at last
My share of duties decently fulfilled,
May some disease not tardy to perform
Its destined office, yet with gentle stroke,
Dismiss me, weary, to a safe retreat
Beneath the turf I have so often trod"
To this was added in Mr. Pond’s own hand, "The above are my sincere wishes as respects myself. My prayer is that my God will remove me from earth to Heaven as quietly and comfortably as my dear wife. I am now ready to obey the summons
Col Pond’s family comprised seven children, four of whom are now living. He was a man of singular truthfulness, noted among his fellows for integrity and uprightness, possessing a keen and clear intellect and a judgment strictly reliable. Since his residence in the village and withdrawal from active business life, he has been much about Main Street, where his dwelling was located, and there are few among us who will fail to miss the kindly greeting and pleasant smile he had for all. Even during the last two years, while suffering from a disease which enfeebled both mind and body, his geniality has been remarkable. He was one of the charter members of Lee Lodge of Masons, and in his death the order loses one of its most zealous adherents, The Masonic services at the funeral under the special conduct of Hon P W Hyde, Marshal, and E W Siddell, Master, were very impressive. The religious exercises by Rev W T Ross, formerly pastor of the church of which the deceased was a member, were appropriate to the occasion.
The wife of Rev Charles Breck D D rector of St Paul’s church in this boro died suddenly of pneumonia, last Friday morning. She had long been an invalid, but until within three days of her death she had been able to ride out. She was prominent in building up the then young church and its Sunday school, earnestly participating in mission and other benevolent enterprises. After a nine years residence her health became impaired from exposure, which necessitated a removal to a milder climate. Dr Breck became rector of the church at Rockdale, Chester County, and a few years later he went to Wilmington, Delaware, where they lived seventeen years. Then after a brief residence at Cleveland, Ohio they returned to Wellsboro in 1872. Having lost five of their children before returning to Wellsboro and the only remaining one soon afterwards, the death of Mrs. Breck falls with double force upon her husband, who is entirely alone in his old age. Her funeral occurred Monday afternoon at St Paul’s church, Rev Dr Howard of Bath, NY officiating. Her remains were taken to Rockdale for interment beside those of her children.
George M Ransom died at his residence in Poultney on Sunday June 1, 1879, at the age of 65 years. His health had been failing for some years but the immediate cause of his death is said to have been dropsy. He was a son of David Ransom who died in Poultney in 1838, and a grandson of John Ransom who settled in Poultney from Canaan Conn in the year 1781. David Ransom had a large family of children-three sons and six daughters. The sons are now all dead. Nelson, for many years town clerk in Poultney, died August 28, 2867 and Harry died in June 1870. One daughter married Josiah Lewis, and died in 1873; another married Demmon Giddings and is now living, his widow; another married William Fifield and lives in Iowa; two are living on the old homestead, unmarried. George M Ransom was very well educated; a man of good judgment, but for several years has kept retired. Some over 20 years he went to Mendon and engaged in the lumber business there, and while living there represented that town in the legislature two years. He returned to Poultney after a few years absence and lived on the old homestead until his death. He was the last male living in Poultney of the name f Ransom, once so numerous here.
At the residence of Geo W Ray, in the village of Norwich, NY on the 26th day of March 1873, of typhoid pneumonia and pleurisy, Abiram Pierce, aged 18 years 9 months and 12 days, youngest son of John J and Jane L Johnson of North Pitcher, NY and brother of Mrs. Geo W Ray of this village.
Amos Pierce aged 87 years 11 months and 20 days died July 20, 1872 in Greenbush, Ill. He was born in Rutland County, State of Vermont, emigrated to Ohio in 1825, thence to Greenbush, Ill in 1834. Made a purchase of land on which he located, in the then new and beautiful country, in which he remained to the close of his long and useful life. He was a man of wonderful industry and great endurance; watchful, careful and temperate in his habits, unassuming, and safe as an advisor. The funeral was on the 22nd; a large congregation of neighbors and friends were present. July 24, 1872
At the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Geo W Ray, in Norwich, NY, Friday evening Feb 9, 1883, of paralysis Mrs. Jane L Johnson, aged 64 years. Mrs. Johnson was a daughter of the late Abiram and Sarah Pierce of Smithfield, Pa, being the fifth child of a family of seven. The eldest, Christopher died at his residence in Smithfield, in October 1882(the 2 is questionable, unable to read print) The second son, William S died at the old Pierce homestead in 1877. Stephen, the third son, a well-known attorney in Bradford and Tioga counties died at Troy, Pa in 1868. The fourth child, Mary, married John Spaulding of Athens, Pa, and moved to Janesville, Wisconsin and died in 1880. The sixth child Amos, died in Troy, Pa. in 1872. The seventh child and only surviving member of the family is Mrs. Horace Pomeroy of this place. Mrs. Johnson, the subject of the present notice, was born in Smithfield in 1818. She married John JewettJohnson in 1841, the Rev Mr. Ames performing the ceremony. They immediately established their home in the pleasant Otselic valley, in the town of Pitcher, Chenango Co. N.Y. Their first child, Julius was born in 1842 and with his family now occupies the Johnson homestead. The second child, Mary was born in 1845. She married Geo W Ray, Esq. of Norwich, N.Y. Their third and youngest child, Abiram was born in 1854. He was a young man of much promise, and greatly beloved by all who knew him. In early life he developed a fondness for study, and by his own efforts became a proficient student, receiving hearty encouragement from his parents in all his educational efforts. He attended school at Clinton. N.Y. where he fully availed himself of the excellent opportunities there offered. In his nineteenth year, while engaged in teaching at Norwich, he was suddenly stricken with typhoid pneumonia and died at the home of his sister, Mrs. Ray. His death was the first that had occurred in the family and came with crushing sorrow upon all its members. His death was followed in 1878, by that of his father, a man whose sterling integrity and generous hospitality will long be cherished by his friends and neighbors. After a few years of patient waiting the mother has obeyed the welcome summons to join husband and son in the home of the blessed. Her life was full of those amiable qualities and tender sympathies, which so endeared her to those who mourn her loss. The funeral services were held at her old home being conducted by the Rev Edson Rogers. She was laid to rest beside her husband and son in the family ground.
Capt. Robt Ayers, a Good Soldier (Gazette Register)
The late Capt. Robert Ayers, whose death following a long illness was briefly, noted in last week’s Gazette-Register was born at Wilkes Barre, Pa Nov 22, 1836. His parents were of New England stock, the father a civil engineer; the mother’s maiden name Fish of the Hamilton Fish family. He was deprived of his parents at a very early age; his mother dying when he was but more than two years old; his father when he was but twelve. His education was obtained at the common schools and at Wyoming Seminary. With but little assistance he made his own way in the world. The promise of his representative in Congress to appoint him a cadet at West Point failing him, he enlisted at the age of 19 in the company of US Engineers stationed at West Point, making the best of his opportunities to study his chosen profession. He went with his company on the expedition to Utah in 1858 and entered upon a second tern in November 1860. He passed trough all the grades of private, artificer, corporal, sergeant and first sergeant of engineers and was appointed by President Lincoln second Lieutenant Nineteenth Infantry in November 1862. He was promoted to First Lieutenant, Battalion Adjutant, regiment Adjutant and Captain. Honorably mustered out Jan 1, 1871. He received the brevet of Captain for gallant and meritorious services in the battles of Chickamauga and Mission Ridge while yet he was First Lieutenant in 1863. Capt. Ayers went with his company to Washington at the order of G E Scott, in January 1861, and was a part of the garrison of that city during the critical times before and just after the inauguration of President Lincoln. He participated in the following battles and actions: Defense of Pickens, Fla; Siege of Yorktown, Fair Oaks, New Bridge, Mechanicsville, Gaine’s Mills; Malvern Hill, Antietam; Fredericksburg, Va; Hoover’s Gap, Tenn; Chickamauga, GA; Siege of Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge, Tenn; Graysville, Ringgold Heights, Ringgold, Ga. Taken prisoner Feb 22nd 1864, at the battle of Ringgold, escaped after suffering for some time in Macon and other prisons, and rejoined his command.
Capt Ayers leaves a wife, two daughters and one son—Mrs. Charles W McKellar of Chicago; Mrs. Howard G Hodgkins of Wilmette, a suburb of Chicago, and Frank S Ayers, also of Chicago, at the time of his father’s death enroute to Mexico. Besides Mrs. McKellar at the obsequies from a distance there were Robert a Becker, a favorite nephew from Plainfield, NJ. E H Thomas, a boyhood associate from Canton and Major and Mrs. Thomas Cummings, of Philadelphia. Major Cummings is the sole survivor, since the death of Capt Ayers, of officers of the First Battalion, Nineteenth Regular Infantry that served during the campaign of 1863-64. They were associates in their country’s defense from 1861-70. Referring to the deceased Major Cummings said Capt Ayers was known in the army for his courage, promptness and efficiency in the discharge of every soldierly duty. Deceased was a member of the Loyal Legion, composed of officers of the war, and of the Regular Brigade Association of officers and privates of the Fourteenth Corps, army of the Cumberland, the insignia of which appeared upon his remains. Rev. Francis Huber, his rector, of St Paul’s, officiated at the funeral and burial which took place on Saturday afternoon from the home; interment in Oak Hill cemetery.
The late William E Dodge. His sudden death last Friday at his home. A New York dispatch dated last Friday says: " William E Dodge died today at his residence in Brooklyn. Mr. Dodge was a member of the old firm of Phelps, Dodge & Co., among the largest importers of and dealers in iron and steel in the country, and was a man of large fortune. He was a well-known worker in all religious organizations and foremost in all good works. He was one of the original founders of the Union League Club. He leaves a large family. "Mr. Dodge has been ailing for a couple of weeks with gastric fever, though his death was somewhat unexpected. He was in his seventy-eighth year. He was prominently identified with a number of charitable institutions, and was a member of the Thirty-ninth Congress"
Olcott Sherman, Esq., died at his residence in Poultney Dec 25th 1880, at the age of 80 years. He was born June 17th, 1800 in Barre, Vt., and was a son of Jonathan Sherman, who was the first settler of Barre. He early began life for himself following the occupation of brick-mason and sadler. He worked in Boston and various other places, and finally came to Poultney in company with Paul M Ross, in 1825, and the two in company set up harness making in East Poultney. Mr. Sherman moved to the West village in 1835, where he resided until his death, and almost to the day of death following his trade of mason. He was an active, earnest, industrious man, achieving remarkable success in his calling, and left an excellent example of industry, frugality and attention to his business. He was frequently called to hold town offices and places of trust by his fellow citizens. At various times he held the offices of justice of the peace, selectman, constable, assessor and grand juror, and as in his own business, he always faithfully and promptly discharged the duties of the same. On the 26th day of January 1830, he was united in marriage with Maria, daughter of the late Philo Hosford, with whom he has lived for more than half a century—she survives him. Three children were born to them, two of whom survive, Solon Sherman of Poultney and Mrs. Henry Clark of Rutland. Another, the wife of C F Petty of the American Express Co, Chicago died in 1871. He was an indulgent husband, a kind and loving father and a good citizen. Mr. Sherman’s death was very sudden. Only two weeks since we had occasion to note his remarkable activity for one his age. He was violently attacked on the morning of Christmas, and died at 8:30 in the evening. He was conscious of his condition, is mind remained clear and active until he quietly and peacefully passed away. The funeral was attended from his late residence on Monday the 27th, by a large gathering of friends and neighbors; the exercises were conducted by Rev. Dr. Starks. The burial was in the family lot in the new cemetery.
Jennie S Holloway-Died of bronchitis, Oct 25th, 1871, at the residence of Col. F.M. Holloway, of Hillsdale, Mich., Jennie S., wife of Leroy F. Holloway, of Janesville, Wis., eldest daughter of Mrs. Mary Spaulding of the same place, aged 26 years, 6 months, and 25 days. With great composure of mind, and with calmness so characteristic, she gave directions for her funeral and burial. To her heart-broken husband and sorrow-stricken mother, her requests as to the rearing of her three infant children, so soon to be made orphans; and to her brother s and sisters her dying advice and counsel. Thus passed from us, our Jennie, just entering the meridian of life, beloved by all who knew her, for her many excellencies of heart which illumined her brief life. On the evening of the same day, her remains were enclosed in a beautiful casket, and preliminary services held by Rev. S G Hickey and I B Card, of Hillsdale, after which they were transferred to her western home in Janesville, Wis. The closing funeral rites were performed by Dr. Whiting.
Death of Dr. Packer- The illness of Dr Nelson Packer, to which we alluded last week, terminated fatally at about four o’clock Thursday afternoon. The suddenness of his death shocked the whole community. On Saturday and Sunday previous he had assisted at important surgical operations, and late Monday evening he had visited patients. Soon after arriving at his home that evening he was taken with a severe chill, which developed into acute pneumonia, and from the first attack he failed rapidly till the end.
Dr Packer was born at Norwich, Chenango County, N.Y. December 8, 1815. He was educated at the Oxford Academy in the same county, after which he studied medicine in the office of Dr. Mitchell, a prominent physician of Norwich. Then he attended the medical college at Geneva, N.Y. where he graduated. In selecting a permanent location he was undecided between Newtown, (now Elmira) N.Y. and Wellsboro. Both were then mere hamlets and no one could safely prophesy what their future would be. He finally chose Wellsboro and arrived here about September 10, 1838. For considerable time he boarded with the family of the late L.I. Nichols, who were natives of Chenango county. He soon secured an extensive practice, but at that time money was too scarce and poverty too general to make more than a moderate income for the professional men of the day. His practices continued to increase from year to year until it extended far into neighboring counties in every direction. He early acquired great surgical skill, and his services in that branch of his profession were sought after far and wide. For years he had been a valued counselor to other physicians and was called into consultation frequently. He was thoughly devoted to his profession, and would allow nothing to divert his attention from it. Like many successful physicians he was not a hard collector, and, by his indulgence to creditors, he failed to secure a large proportion of his earnings. He never engaged in outside business or speculation. He was always public spirited, and did his full share in building up the town and advancing the material interests of the community. In building the Episcopal Church and the old academy he was especially active, and aided largely in those enterprises. In 1862 he became a hospital surgeon in the army. While in the service he was prostrated by malarial fever, which compelled him to return home, and it was a long time before he entirely recovered his health. His funeral occurred on Sunday at his late residence, and was very largely attended. Rev. Dr. Breck officiated. The pallbearers were Messrs. William Bache, Samuel Dickinson, Chester Robinson, John L Robinson, A S Brewster, B T VanHorn, Anton Hart and A F Barnes.
The sudden death of Doctor Nelson Packer, of this Borough, last week. Dr. Nelson Packer, one of the oldest citizens of our borough and a leading physician of this part of the State, died at his residence in this village last Thursday afternoon. His last illness was a brief one. The writer of these lines met him at a late hour on Monday evening of last week, and at that time he seemed to be in his usual health; but later that night he had a chill which signalized an acute attack of pneumonia. His disease rapidly developed alarming symptoms and several of our local physicians were called in consultation. But his case was beyond the reach of medical aid, and he himself soon expressed the opinion that the attack would result fatally. He lost strength rapidly until he fell peacefully asleep about the middle of Thursday afternoon. Our late fellow-townsman was a son of Captain James Packer, of Norwich, Chenango County, NY. Nelson was born in that thriving village on the 8th day of December 1815. He was educated at Oxford Academy-an institution of deservedly high reputation-and afterward studied medicine with Dr Henry Mitchell, of Norwich, a gentleman standing very high in his profession. The young student also attended the Medical College at Geneva, NY and having thus completed the preparation for his professional career, he came to Wellsboro in September, 1838, to enter upon the practice of medicine and surgery in a new and wild country, where in many directions it was impossible to travel except on horseback or on foot.
When Dr Packer came to this borough the leading physician in this part of the country was Dr O L Gibson, a man of sterling qualities and having an extended practice. But the young doctor found plenty to do, and his practice rapidly increased in extent and value. He had not been here long before he fell sick, his trouble being apparently pulmonary consumption. He grew gradually weaker, and when a brother came to see him he found the Doctor almost unable to help himself. Although it was then the middle of a rigorous winter, this faithful brother proposed to take Nelson back with him to the old home in Norwich, where he could have better nursing and receive the constant attention of his nearest relatives and of his old preceptor. After anxious consultation with Dr. Gibson, who was attending the invalid, it was agreed that this plan should be carried out if possible, although it was considered doubtful whether the sick man would ever reach home alive. A bed was prepared in a sleigh, and the journey was pursued by easy stages, the brother tenderly caring for him all the way under the advice of the leading physicians of the principal villages through which they passed. The old home was at last reached on Christmas eve, and the feeble patient was lain on a bed from which he was not to rise until many weary weeks had passed. The issue of the case was long doubtful; but at length the Doctor’s strength began to increase so that when settled weather came in the spring he was able to ride horseback. This daily exercise so improved his health that when June came his former patients and friends at Wellsboro were astonished to see him once more amongst them, and greeted him as one whom they had never expected to see again in this life. From that day until almost the close of his life the Doctor’s health was generally good. His practice, which he at once resumed, grew from year to year and extended farther and farther through this and the neighboring counties. He became known as the principal surgeon in this part of the State, and before the war he was called upon to take part in all the critical surgical operations in this region.
In 1862, the Southern Rebellion having broken out, he entered the service of the National Government as a surgeon. He was at first stationed at Chesapeake Hospital, near Fortress Monroe; but when the army was at Harrison Landing he was ordered there, and was soon after prostrated by malarial fever and jaundice. After great exertion he finally succeeded in reaching home, but he did not recover his wanted health for several months. In 1864 he was appointed United States Examining Surgeon for this place, and he performed the duties of that office continuously until last November, when he was appointed President of the Medical Board.
His loss must be long felt and deeply regretted in many Tioga County homes. The funeral was attended last Sunday afternoon at Dr Packer’s late residence in this village. Rev Dr. Charles Breck, rector of St Paul’s Church, who conducted the service, spoke in the highest terms of the long and faithful labors of the deceased in his arduous and most useful profession from the early days when this region was a wilderness up to the time of his death. There was a large attendance at the funeral, including most of the physicians of this part of the county. Messrs. William Bache, Samuel Dickinson, Chester Robinson, John L Robinson, A S Brewster, B T VanHorn, Anton Hardt, and A F Barnes acted as pallbearers, and the mortal remains of the good physician were followed to their last resting place in our cemetery by a large concourse or relatives and friends.
Harry E Packer’s Will-The most of his interest in the great estate given to his wife. A private telegram from Mauch Chunk gives the contents f President Packer’s will. By the death of his brother Robert he became heir to one-half of the vast estate of his father, valued at $9,000,000. He is survived by a maiden sister, after whose death the estate of the elder Packer is to be managed twenty years by a board of five directors and then distributed, the Lehigh University and St Luke’s Hospital, of Bethlehem, being the principal beneficiaries. By the will of Harry E Packer he exercises the power, under the will of his father, which gave him the right to dispose by will of about one-quarter of the income of the Packer estate. He makes a few minor bequests and gives his wife all the rest of his property during her life. At her death twenty-thirds of it goes to the Lehigh University, at Bethlehem, and three twenty-thirds to St Luke’s Hospital, Bethlehem, both of which were built and liberally endowed by his father. The executors are his wife, Elish P Wilbur, of Bethlehem and Dr Robert A Lamverton, president of the Lehigh University. The will contains nothing else of public interest. It was executed last August.
At the Baptist Church, Rutland, Oct 14th by Rev E Mills, Mr. Egbert C Tuttle and Miss Rachel E Mann, both of Rutland.
In Poultney, Oct 2, Rev. John Goadby, DD, Capt Wm Gage of Worcester, Mass and Mary J Bosworth, daughter of the late Dea. William M Bosworth and stepdaughter of the officiating clergyman.
In Brandon, Sept 30 by Rev. Daniel C Roberts, J T Remington of Salisbury (formerly f Wallingford) and Kate A Kelsey of Salisbury.
In Rutland Sept 30, by Rev Charles Woodhouse, O A Edgerton and Eva F Edgerton both of Danby.
Capt. W H Carnochan
The death on Friday evening last of Captain Warner Hayden Carnochan at his home in Towanda, was not unexpected to the many who knew of his failing health but was nevertheless an occasion of deep sorrow. Ever since he left Troy, six years ago, there have been times when his health was so precarious as to preclude further hope. He would again rally and improve only to fall ill again. Inheriting from his father N M Carnochan, Esq and his mother a tendency toward the dread disease consumption that caused his untimely death, this was confirmed by exposure while a prisoner in Gen. Early’s charge just before Gettysburg. Born at Troy, Feb 8th, 1840, he was a boy bright, handsome and of unusual mental acquirements and as he grew to manhood a favorite with the people of the town. Educated in the public school and the Troy Academy, he alternated his school life with labor at a trade, that of carriage trimming and in teaching several terms of school. Always active in educational and literary affairs, he early took a prominent part in various literary societies, debating clubs and teacher’s institutes where he was always a ready debater, a keen and fluent speaker.
Hitting upon the profession of law, he went to Alfred University to prepare himself for professional life, and on his return in 1860 read law in the office of Judge Ulyses Mercur in Towanda, being admitted to the bar in 1861. On the breaking out of the war he became interested in the great struggle and assisted in raising a company of men in 1862. He was made a lieutenant of Co D 132 Regiment PA V. In the fall of the same year was promoted to the captaincy of the Company. His regiment was of nine months men and in 1863 was discharged. He was afterwards employed as paymaster’s clerk in Florida. In 1864, at the second invasion of Pennsylvania, he raised a company of "emergency men" and proceeded to Harrisburg. All who were at the state capitol on that occasion will recall the confusion and dissatisfactions which existed among the large body of men assembled there, amounting almost to a revolt, over the proposition to swear the men into the U S Service for an indefinite period. Capt. Carnochan saw that something must be done to stay the tide or Camp Curtin would be deserted or become the scene of a disgraceful mob. Forming his company in line he told them he considered the situation a very grave one; that he should tender services, and concluded by requesting all who would join him to take one step forward. The men stood by him; others followed their example and order was soon restored. In the spring of 1865 he was appointed by Secretary Stanton, a quarter-master, but the war closed before he reported to duty.
In June 1865, he returned to Troy and forming a law partnership with E B Parsons, Esq. Entered actively upon the duties if his profession in which he rapidly assumed a prominent place. The same year he was married to Miss Sophia Parsons, daughter of Dr. Alpheus Parsons of Troy, who with four children survives him.
In 1868 he was elected District Attorney of Bradford Co, and seldom has the office been filled with as signal ability. Clear headed, accurate with a minute and technical as well as a general knowledge of his profession, he was orderly and methodical in his work and had an extensive acquaintenance with prominent political and other personages throughout the State. His knowledge was not a dry array of facts, but was replete with freshness and pertinent illustration. He sometimes lectured in a delightful style and was a constant demand to supply political speeches during campaigns. The year 1875 found him a resident of Towanda and a partner with W T now Senator Davies.
Capt. W H Carnochan Last Rites
The funeral of W H Carnochan held at the Presbyterian Church on Sunday afternoon was a remarkable gathering of representative men of Bradford County such as is rarely seen together. The special train supplied by the courtesy of the Lehigh Valley, which arrived from Towanda at 1:30 with the body and the immediate friends, brought nearly all the members of the Bradford Co Bar and a number of private citizens from Towanda, Athens and Elmira. It was met at the depot by a large deputation of citizens who escorted the company to the village. The church was tastefully and elegantly decked with flowers and badges of mourning. The front of the Engine House was draped in mourning in remembrance of the ex-chief of the department.
In the church Miss Angie Aspinwall presided at the organ. Rev. C L Connell read the hymn and Rev G P Sewall the Scripture lesson. Rev. J B French followed with prayer, and Rev. J S Stewart of Towanda, with a short, beautifully-worded discourse on the text "It is appointed unto man once to die." The casket was beautifully decked with floral emblems and a silver plate bearing the name and age of the deceased. In looking over the large congregation that filled the audience room and adjacent parlors one was struck by the large number of representative men who had come to do honor in the last sad rites to one they had known so well. From Elmira, Robert Neilson, Sup’t of the Northern Central, G M Diven, M W Serat, Sup’t of the U I & E Railroad, F E Fitch, E B Youmans, Esq., W Jones, W T Post and others, I N Evans, J F Maynard, W A Plummer of the Athens Gazette, Fred Evans, E Mills and others from Athens. The pallbearers were the following gentlemen from Towanda: Judge P D Morrow, H N Williams, Elbanan Smith, D A. Overton, W J Young, N C Elsbree, B M Peck, Gen H J Madill. The ceremonies were under the charge of Captain B B Mitchell and were characterized by the good taste and quietness so grateful to the large number of sincerely mourning hearts.
After leaving the church C F Sayles conducted the ceremonies with his usual good taste. At the close of the service, the music of which had been furnished by a quartette choir consisting of Mrs. C F Paine, Miss Anna Compton, Fred Moore and Geo Roosa, the body was borne to the entrance where the numerous friends came to view it, many with tearful eyes. The members of the Bradford County Bar each wearing a white button-hole bouquet formed in line with uncovered heads as the casket and mourners passed. Among those from Towanda we noted W B Dodge, E Buffington, F E Myers, S R Payne, W Maxwell, C B Porter, Geo W Ennis, F J Calkins, E C Shaw, I McPherson, S W Little, E A Thompson, A J Layton, C D Humphrey,L Elsbree, R A Mercur, T C Disbrow, J W Codding, Senator, W T Davies, partner of the deceased and wife, Mrs. E O Goodrich, James Wood, E T Fox, Mr. & Mrs. Carson, T C Delano, E J Angle, L M Hall, S W Alvord, W Stevenson, of Sayre, Adam Innes, Valentine Saxton, of Granville Center, J W Brown, E E Bostworth, Andrew Fee, of Wyalusing, J H Shaw, B L Wright, M E Lilley, A B Bowman, E J Cleveland, W C Sechrist, E H Thomas, D P Elliott of Canton, F F Drake and E P Ingham of Laporte.
A very long procession slowly moved to beautiful Glenwood on that lovely Sabbath afternoon, the emblem of rest and peace, and there under the shadow of the trees laid the body of our mourned, honored friend.