|| Bible Records
This Bible was found in the Jerome Soper - Sophronia Purvis Homestead. This record is from the Soper Family bible found in the Jerome and Sophronia Soper homestead at the corner of Granger and Hanibal in Blossburg. The Nellie Mae whose death is listed is the child of Freeman Soper and his wife. Nellie May (as the adoption paper shows) was adopted by her Grandmother Sophronia on May 27th 1909.
Note from Joyce - I have annotated this with the IDS from my Sullivan-Rutland Genealogy Project to cross reference with the family report I have included on this page, generated from my Sullivan-Rutland Genealogy Project.
Children of Sam Soper and Rhoda Soper
1. Elizabeth Collins was born the 21st day of April 1827 (SRGP 7072)
2. Lyman Soper was born the 3rd day of October 1829 (SRGP 7574)
3. Mary Jane Soper was born the 23rd day of December 1830 (SRGP 9450)
4. Jerome Soper was born the 19th day of June, born in Hartford Conn. 1832 (SRGP 4347)
5. Laura Ann Soper was born the 22nd day of November 1833 (SRGP 26442)
6. Allen Soper was born the 4th day of May 1836 (SRGP 26443)
7. Columbus Soper was born the 6th day of May 1839 (SRGP 26444)
8. Elijah Soper was born the 20th day of March 1843 (SRGP 26445)
9. Amos Soper was born the 10th day 0f March 1848, born in Sylvania Bradford Co. Pa. (SRGP 26446)
Children of Jerome Soper and Sophonia Soper
1. Mary Jane Soper was born the 9th day of July in 1870 (SRGP 10410)
2. Fred Soper was born the 17th day of October 1873 (SRGP 10411)
3. Freeman Soper was born the 20th day of June in 1876 (SRGP 10412)
4. Frank Soper was born the 9th day of May in 1882 (SRGP 36295)
5. Cora Phylinda was born the 14th day of April in 1885 (SRGP 36296)
Sephrona Soper was Married the 24th day of March in 1867
Sophronia Purvis was married to Jerome Soper the 24th day of March in 1867 - Sunday (SRGP 9111 / 4347)
(Both lines were in the bible - the first in ink the 2nd in pencil)
Mary Jane Soper was Married to Burr Steele the 17th day of May in 1885 - Sunday (SRGP 10410)
May Weatherby (also seen as Cornelius Mae Wetherby) was married to Fred Soper the 10th day of June 1900 (SRGP 78971 / 10411)
Miss Florence Tillinghast and Freeman Soper were united in marriage the 11th day of May in 1907 (SRGP 10412)
Sophia Kwarzeski (sp) and Frank Soper were united in marriage Dec 15th 1909 - Wed (SRGP 36295)
Cora Soper and Alfred R Miller were united in Marriage Dec 11 1909 Sat in Elmira, NY (SRGP 36296)
Elizabeth Dewey died the 1st day of March in 1898 (SRGP 7072)
Rhoda Soper died the 29th of October in 1891 (SRGP 7088 - Own Surname Drake)
Allen Soper died the 20th day of March in 1901 - 65 yrs (SRGP 26443)
Laura Ann Scott died the 4th day of September in 1901 (SRGP 26442)
Mary Jane Webster died the 17th of February in 1902 (SRGP 9450)
Amos Soper died the 9th of December in 1926 (SRGP 26446)
Jerome Soper died the 26th day of March 1900 - 67 yrs (SRGP 4347)
Freeman Soper died the 16th day of December in 1908 - 32 yrs (SRGP 10412)
Nellie Mae Soper died Feb 10th 1918 age 9 yrs 11 months 16 days (SRGP 79031)
Fred Soper died the 5th day of November in 1924 - 51 yrs (SRGP 10411)
Sophronia B Soper died Feb 17., 1933 - 93 yr (SRGP 9111 )
Mary Jane Soper Steele died July 2nd 1951, 81yrs (SRGP 10410)
Mrs. Sophronia Soper, Mrs. Mary Jane Steele, Cora Soper were baptized Jan 17th 1904
Frederick Robert Miller was born Sunday May 11th 1913 (mother was Cora Soper Miller)
From Sullivan-Rutland Genealogy Project by Joyce M. Tice
1. Jerome S.1 Soper, son of Samuel Soper and Rhoda Drake*, (#4347) was born in Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut 19 JUN 1832. Individual flags: Civil War; Obit. Jerome died 26 MAR 1900 in Blossburg, Blossg Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, at age 67. DEATH OF JEROME SOPER (1) On Monday morning, March 26, about 5 o'clock when his wife went to his bedside to call him,it was found that Jerome Soper had passed away. The deceased had been sick with grip for several weeks,though confined to his bed but two days. Sunday he appeared to be much better than at any time since taken ill and his sudden death was a terrible shock to his family. The deceased was born in Hartford, Conn., on the 19th of June 1832. He had enlisted at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, at the beginning of the Civil War, and served 4 years, 6 months and 17 days. At the close of the war he came to Mainesburg and in 1867 was married to Miss Sophronia Purvis,who survives him. Besides his widow he leaves 5 children three sons Frederick,Freeman and Frank and two daughters Mrs. Burr Steele and Miss Cora Soper, to mourn his loss. He also leaves five brothers and two sisters. The funeral which was in charge of Thomas W. Brown, of Brown Post G.A.R., occured on Wednesday from the Baptist church, the pastor Rev. Mr. Brown officiating. The pall bearers were Lyman Jennings, Louis Belsa, Casper Leinhardt, Thomas McEntee, Ben Williams, Thomas Evans. Besides the immediate family the relatives present were his three brothers, Allen and Amos Soper of Blossburg, and Columbus Soper, of Elmira; Aaron Wood and wife, of Bernice, Sullivan county: Edward and Willard Dewey, Wm. Purvis and George Purvis, of Sullivan Township. (March 26, 1900)
JEROME SOPER (2) Monday morning about 5 o'clock, Mrs. Jerome Soper went to the door of her husband's room to call him. She received no answer, and an examination soon revealed the fact that he was dead. From the coldness of the corpse it is supposed that he had passed away early in the night, and the healthy appearance of Mr. Soper on the night previous made it a most unpleasant surprise. The deceased was quite an old man and an old soldier, a member of Brown post, G. A. R., of this place. He enlisted in the Union army early in the struggle, and remained to the last. Many years he has resided in Blossburg. the funeral occurred Wednesday at 2 p.m., from the house. Interment was at Odd Fellows cemetery. The following are the pallbearers, some of whom are brother members of the G. A. R.: Messrs, Caspar Lienhardt, Louis Belsea, Thomas Evans, Lyman Jennings, Benjamin Williams and Thomas McEntee.
His body was interred MAR 1900 in Arbon Cemetery, Blossburg, Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
He married Sophronia B. Purvis 24 MAR 1867 in Pennsylvania. (Sophronia B. Purvis is #9111.) Sophronia was born 01 JAN 1840 in Pike Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. Sophronia was the daughter of John Purvis* and Betsey Hagar. Sophronia died 27 FEB 1933 in Blossburg, Blossg Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, at age 93. MRS. SOPHRONIA SOPER Blossburg-Mrs. Sophronia Soper, 93, widow of Jerome Soper and the oldest resident of this place, died early Monday at the family home after a short illness. Mrs. Soper whose maiden name was Sophronia Purvis, was born in Pike, Pa., Jan. 1, 1840. In 1895 the family came to Blossburg. On New Year's day, Mrs. Soper celebrated her 93rd birthday. She was a member of the local Baptist Church. Survivors are two daughters Mrs. W.B. Steele and Mrs. Cora Miller of Blossburg; a son, Frank Soper, of Elmira; eight grandchildren and five greatgrandchildren. The funeral will be held Wednesday afternoon at her home, the Rev. F.H. McNair, pastor of the Baptist Church, officiating. Interment will be in Arbon Cemetery. (February 27, 1933)
Her body was interred MAR 1933 in Arbon Cemetery, Blossburg, Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
Jerome was listed as the head of a family on the 1870 Census in Sullivan Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Jerome was listed as the head of a family on the 1880 Census in Sullivan Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
Jerome S. Soper and Sophronia B. Purvis had the following children:
3 ii. Frederick J. Soper (#10411) was born in Sullivan Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania 17 OCT 1873. Individual flags: Obit. Fred died 05 NOV 1924 in Buffalo, Erie County, New York, at age 51. He married Cornelia Mae Wetherby 10 JUN 1900. (Cornelia Mae Wetherby is #78971.) Cornelia died 30 OCT 1922 in Elmira, Chemung County, New York, at age unknown. MRS. FREDERICK SOPER Mrs. Cornelia Wetherby Soper, wife of Frederick Soper, a former well-known resident of this place died at her family home [554 Cypress street]in Elmira, N.Y., on Monday morning at 6:30 o'clock, after an extended illness, aged fity one years. She was a past noble grand of Elmira Rebekah Lodge and was highly respected by all who knew her. Mrs. Soper is survived by her husband; a sister, Mrs. F.F. Brighn, of Italy N. Y., and a brther, Charles Wetherby of Grand Rapids Mich. The funeral was held at the home on Tuesday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock, the Reb. R.F.C. Schinelder officiating. The services wwere in charge of the Elmira Rebekah Lodge. (Oct 30?) 1922
+ 4 iii. Freeman Soper was born 20 JUN 1876.
+ 5 iv. Frank Soper was born 09 MAY 1882.
+ 6 v. Cora Phylinda Soper was born 14 APR
2. Mary Jane2 Soper (Jerome S.1) (#10410) was born in Sullivan Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania 09 JUL 1870. Mary died 02 JUL 1951 at age 80.
She married Burt Steele * 17 MAY 1885. (Burt Steele* is #36291.)
Mary Jane Soper and Burt Steele* had the following children:
8 ii. Fred Steele (#36293).
9 iii. William Steele (#36294).
He married Florena Tillinghast * 11 MAY 1907. (Florena Tillinghast* is #37048.) Name may be Florence
Freeman Soper and Florena Tillinghast* had the following child:
The remains of Miss Nellie Soper, who died in an insitution in Philadelphia where she had been for three years, were brought, Tuesday noon, to the home of her grandmother, Mrs. Soper on Granger Street. Funeral services at the residence on Thursday afternoon, te Rev. B. L. Lewis, of the First Baptist Church, officiating. Interment was made in Arbon cemetery. Miss Nellie was but ten years old. her father died when she was a baby, leaving the child in charge of her grandmother, who gave her the best of care, until the continued ill health of the small girl made it necessary to send her to a sanitarium. (1908-1918)
Adopted by her grandmother Sophronia PURVIS "Soper"
His body was interred MAR 1932 in Arbon Cemetery, Blossburg, Tioga County, Pennsylvania.
He married Sophia Kwarzeski * 15 DEC 1909. (Sophia Kwarzeski* is #78797.)
Frank Soper had the following child:
She married Alfred Ray Miller DEC 1909 in Elmira, Chemung County, New York. (Alfred Ray Miller is #36297.) Alfred was born 17 MAR 1889. Alfred was the son of Raymond Miller* and Alice Wilson*. Alfred died 09 DEC 1959 at age 70.
Cora Phylinda Soper and Alfred Ray Miller had the following child: