This town lies on the North line of the county and west of the centre. The surface is principally up land, broken by the deep ravines of the streams. The highest lands are from 400 to 700 feet above the valleys, and from 1300 to 1600 feet above tide-water. It contains 22,743 acres, of which 16,853 acres are improved, and has a population of 2371 inhabitants, according to the senses of 1875. The soil is a clay and gravelly loam of good quality. The principal stream is Catharine Creek, which rises in the northern portion of the town, and flows southerly through the center and into Horseheads, and enters again near the western boundary, and flows normally along the west line, passing out on the North near the line between this town and Catlin.
In early times lumber was largely manufactured; and in the prosperous days of the Chemung Canal, boat building was carried on largely along the canal from Upper Pine Valley to below Millport, but in latter years the attention of the inhabitants is mainly directed to agricultural pursuits.
Although it is evident that this region had for ages afforded a rich hunting ground for the wild man of the forests, no Indian history or legend of that race in this section has been preserved; yet there are abundant indications showing that the deep Valley running through the western portion of this town was once the home of numerous savages, who roamed at will over these hills, and sheltered themselves from the rude winds of winter in the deep valleys among these mountains.
The large quantities of arrow tips which are found in certain localities indicate that these were fields on which the natives of the forests had frequently met in deadly strife. In excavating a cellar, in the spring of 1842, Mr. Roswell Wheeler found, a few rods south east of the Methodist Church in Millport, the skeleton of an Indian, buried in a sitting position, with a small brass kittle placed by the side of the head, in which was found his brass jewelry and other trinkets, together with the claws of some large and powerful animal. The bones were quite decayed, except those in the intermediate vicinity of the kittle; these were in an almost perfect state of preservation.
The men who first settled here have long since passed away, leaving few traces of their existence, and not often a stone to mark their final resting place; yet enough remains in the memory of a few of their descendants to establish the fact that they were men of great endurance and indomitable courage. The first white man who settled in this town was Green Bently, who was born in Rhode Island, and immigrated with several other families to Warwick, Orange County, and 1775, with a view of settling in the Wyoming Valley; but, fearing difficulty with the Indians, he remained at Warwick, when he joined the Revolutionary army, and served as an officer through that long struggle for independence.
At the close of the war, with the others who immigrated with him, they removed to the Wyoming Valley, where he remained three years (when the Pennimite trouble arose), and, with 16 other men, built a boat, on which they placed their families and effects, and pushed and poled up the river, while driving the cattle and horses along the river banks. After a long and fatiguing journey of 30 days they reached the place now known as Wellsburg. Here he purchased 300 acres at this point, with the Creek, since known by his name, enters the Chemung River. Here he remained until 1798, when he sold out, and bought 300 acres of land, on a part of which Millport now stands, and built a log house on the west side of the highway, directly opposite the old house afterwards built by his son, Green Bently, Jr., where Mrs. Oliver Greene now lives.
His remains now rest in a little burying ground on the old Bently farm, a short distance below Millport.
In 1799 a man by the name of Hubbard, from Connecticut, settled on the spot where the old Parsons tavern stood for many years, now owned by Chauncey Taylor, and build a log house and died there alone, and when found his body was nearly devoured by wild animals. The stream from the west which enters Catharine Creek at that point has since been known as "Hubbard's run." Green Bently, Jr., next built a log house south of where P. S. Tanner lives.
From this time the settlements spread to the Southeast. In 1803, Abiard Lattin, with his two sons, came from Fairfield County, Connecticut, and settled on the farm now owned by Harvey Turner. In 1805 a settlement was commenced east of Millport, on the middle road, by immigrants from Connecticut and Vermont, among whom were Elder Mallory, where B. B. Parsons now lives, Daniel Parsons, Gusta Lyons, David and Asa Coe, Luther Coe, John Daley, Hawkins Fanton, John McDougal, David and Eli Banks, Nathan Bedient, , and Zaccheus Morehouse. David Banks, Bedient, and Morehouse married daughters of Daniel Parsons. In this neighborhood were built a schoolhouse and two distilleries, one of them having been built prior to the schoolhouse. In the settlement the first frame house was built, two of which are now standing, B. B. Parsons living in one built by his father in 1805, and the other built by Gusta Lyons, near John St. John, about the same time. Very little change occurred in the settlements up to 1823, when Myron Collins, from Sherburne, Chenango County, New York, came to Millport and built a carding and clothing mill, since used as a bedstead factory, and the old building is now standing. He was followed in 1825 by James T. Gifford, who purchased 18 acres of the Bently farm, on which he built a house and tannery, and laid out a village plat, calling it Millvale.*
About the same time, Elijah Sexton, also from Sherburne, came here and settled at what is now known as Lower Pine Valley, about a mile south of Millport, and applied for and obtained a post office. The prospect of a Canal through the Catharine Valley called the attention of those desirous of finding new homes in the direction of Millvale, and considerable numbers had been added to its population when, in 1829, the Canal bill was passed, and when this fact reached the place a general gathering took place, at the store of Erastus Crandall, to celebrate the event. Speeches were made, and powder and Brandy were freely used, the powder being burned and the brandy drank, of course. At this meeting the name of the village was discussed, and a resolution was offered in. To change the name to Millport, by which name it has since been known. Between the years 1825 -- 30 there were large accessions to the town.
On the Ridge Road were Eber and Amos Crandall, David, John, and Harvey Turner, William VanDuzer, and Allen Kendall. On the middle road were Welcome Mosher, Welcome Mosher, Jr., and Morris Hewitt, all farmers.
In the Valley at Millport, Myron Collins, clothier, James T. Gifford, tanner, Henry Crandall, lumber man, Richard Dearborn, shoemaker, John Egbert, carpenter, P. S. Tanner, carpenter and boat builder, Erastus Crandall, and Benjamin and Jeremiah Hackney, merchants, Ebenezer Longstreet, tailor, Horton Frost, blacksmith, and Horace Seaman, physician. A little later came J.D. Mandeville, Jervis Langdon (who afterwards removed to Elmira and became prominent there), and William H. Phillips, merchants, and Patrick Quinn, tanner. Mr. Quinn came with his father when a boy 7 years of age from Ireland, and settled in Tyrone, Steuben County, where the parents of Charles O'Connor and Francis Kernan and reside. Here the boy grew to manhood, learning the trade of the tanner. His opportunities for an education were limited, but in general intelligence and brilliancy of intellect he was superior. Few men were better versed in the political issues of the day than he. In politics he was a Democrat, but in early took sides with the antislavery movement, and was one of its strongest advocates till slavery was abolished. He was an eloquent, witty, sarcastic speaker. He came to Veteran in 1835, and bought the Gifford tannery, which he conducted many years. He was Justice of the peace for several terms. His brother, Edward Quinn, was he noted lawyer of Chemung County. He removed Cattaraugus County, and died in 1871 or 1872.
The first settlers in Pine Valley were William Bently, Jabez Bradley, and Elijah and John L. Sexton (the latter is still living in Big Flats). About 1830, Daniel and B. B. Parsons built the Pine Valley hotel, then the largest and best house between the head of Seneca Lake and Elmira. As late as 1830 the town was little changed from its primitive condition. With the surrounding country, it was largely covered by the dense forests, and many places the principal highways were so overshadowed by the lofty trees on either side, that noonday would resemble the twilight of evening. At this time the people were largely engaged in lumbering and hauling the lumber to Havana, selling their best pine for four dollars per thousand feet.
The construction of Chemung Canal, commenced in 1830, required about three years for its completion, and during this period the people, contrary to their expectations, were so fleeced by the subcontractor that they found themselves much poorer than when it commenced.
At the height of its prosperity, Millport contained about 1000 inhabitants, and did a large and prosperous business. But the numerous sawmills and the boat building interests, encouraged by the construction of the Canal, soon swept away the grand old forests, and left the present population the heritage of the uncovered hills, exposed to the bleak winds of winter, and the more direct rays of the summer sun.
Instead of a lumbering town, Veteran has become an agricultural one, which will compare favorably with most others in the County. The log structures have given place to more substantial frame buildings, and where the sullen gloom of the forest once prevailed, the earth is now often covered with green meadows and fields of waving grain.
The first land grant in this town was Preserved Cooley, of 60 acres, where C. W. Sleeper now lives, March 23, 1791. The first settler was Green Bently, in 1794, who built the first log house.
In 1808 the first is still a Rivas build, near of where Hezekiah Banks now lives.
Where Elder Mallory settled, he cut the first fallow, and one Sunday, while he was preaching in his house, his son Charles set the brush on fire, and it was suspected that the Elder knew of it, thinking while they were altogether they could watch it. At any rate the Elder utilized the gathering to fight the fire, and it was with difficulty they kept the house from being destroyed. This occurred in the year 1806, Ransom Latter, yet living, remembers it well, and the eclipse of that year. Having no almanacs, they thought the "great day" had surely come.
The first schoolhouse with built near the distillery, and the first teacher was Simeon Squires.
The first frame house was built by Daniel Parsons, in 1805, were B. B. Parsons now lives. He also kept the first tavern.
The first sawmill was built by a Mr. T. old, of Geneva, about 1805, on Catharine Creek, near what were afterwards known as the Arnot Mills, and the second about 1820, by Green Bently, Jr., near Allen and Bank’s flouring mill. From this time they soon multiplied, in 1832 they were over 20 sawmills and the Valley.
The first grist-mill was built by David Coe and Thomas McArty, in 1823, on the site where Hoffner and Sherman's mill now stands.
This year Myron Collins came in and built carding and cloth works, where the chair factoring now is.
James T. Gifford, in 1825, built the first tannery in the village of Millport.
The first road was built by Gen. Sullivan, in 1779, when marching through the Catharine Swamp, as it was then called, and some traces of it are still to be seen. The first recorded road is what is now known as the middle road, and was built about 1800, and started from the Valley Road, near Mark Fall’s house, running northeasterly to Johnson's settlement, and was for many years the only road east of the Valley.
Two post roads were established as early as 1825; one running from Elmira over the old turnpike road through the Catharine Valley, to the head of Seneca Lake, with the office at the public house of Daniel Parsons, of which Elijah Sexton was first Postmaster; the other, starting also from Elmira, left the northern route at Horseheads, and followed the Ridge Road to Johnson's settlement. The office was at the public house of William Vanduzer, and he was Postmaster.
The first religious services were held by Elder Mallory and John McDougal, who were both ministers in Connecticut. The first church was built by the Methodists, in 1832, where it now stands.
The first physician was Dr. Horace Seaman, who is still living.
The first Canal bowl was built by Jonathan Thomas, in 1834, north of Munson Hall's house.
The first brick building was built by P.S. Tanner, Erastus Crandall kept the first store it Millport, before 1826.
Certificates of location were granted to Preserved Cooley of 60 acres, called the first track (where Charles W. Sleeper now lives, and who has the original deed, dated March 23, 1791, in consequence of the location made by him, & Gov. George Clinton, which deed was assigned to Charles Annis in 1793), and the same day, the second and third tracks, each containing 22 1/2 acres. Aug. 8, 1793, to John Pazley three lots, each containing 200 acres. January 28, 1794, to John Carpenter and Henry Wisner, 200 acres near the Big Swamp. Nov. 15, 1792, a return of survey to John Nicholson of 700 acres (now in the towns of Veteran and andCatlin). All of these tracks are on the road leading from Newtown to Catharine town. July 25, 1794, all the remaining lands in this town were included in the Watkins and Flint purchase.
The Methodist Church
Elder Mallory and John McDougal came in this town in 1805, and both held services and preached occasionally, but it was not until December 31, 1832, that a church was regularly organized. John McDougal and his wife, David Banks and wife, Ira Miles and wife, John Daly, Oliver Greenoe, and Dedrick Shafer were among the first members.
The church was built in 1833-34. John McDougal supplied the pulpit part of the time. This church was part of a circuit including have a circuit including Millport, Horseheads, and Johnson's settlement, and the preachers in charge were William Goodwin, David Fellows, John Champion, and Ralph Bennet. Until 1843, when it became a regularly appointed station, and E. Colson was the first preacher, succeeded by Henry Wisner and Austin Chubbuck. Robert Townsend is the present pastor. The church now numbers about 170 members, and a Sunday school in connection with it shows an average attendance of 85 scholars and teachers.
A class was organized of Methodists at Pine Valley in 1858, of about 15 members, under the charge of the Millport Church. Services were held at the Baptist Church in this place.
1832 a class and church for organized at Sullivan Villa, and were composed of Dietrich Shaffer, leader, Sarah Shaffer, as are Mallory and wife, and soon after Peter and Amy Compton. Rev. Mr. Pierce all was the first pastor, in 1832, and was succeeded by Rev.'s Goodwin, Case, Fellows, McEiheny, Gardner, Canfield, Cochran, Watts, and T. J. Whitney, who is the present pastor. A meeting house was erected in 1855, thoroughly repaired in 1877, and on June 27, 1878, was rededicated by Rev. M. S. Hard, Rev. Dr. Queal preaching the sermon from the 63rd Psalm, First verse.
The first Baptist Church and Millport was organized December 24, 1844, at the house of P.S. Tanner, and was called the Millport Baptist Church. Rev. P. D. Gillette was the first pastor. The council's composed of delegates from the big flats, South Fort and Elmira, and Elmira and Fairport churches, in the church was constituted we 17 members. P.S. Tanner, Charles C. Coston, and Chauncey Palmer were chosen deacons.
They have had 13 pastors in the 34 years of their existence, as follows: a Rev. P. D. Gillette, E. A. Hadley, G. M. Spratt, S. M. Brokeman, William Sharp, Richard Hultze, B. F. Capron, T. E. Phillips, William Brown, --Whitney, T. F. Dean, L. D. Worth, and D. D. Babcock, who is pastor at present. Services were held chiefly at the churches of the Methodists and Presbyterians until 1867, when P.S. Tanner purchased the Presbyterian Church, and repaired it at a cost of about $1100. Services were held in this church, and March 1871, the Baptist society was legally organized, and purchased the property of P.S. Tanner for $1000, he subscribing $600 of the amount, and the building was thoroughly repaired at a cost of $800, Mr. Tanner contributing $300 of that amount and September 27, 1871, it was dedicated, Elder J. B. Pixley, of Albion, preaching the sermon.
The Veteran the Ridge free Communion Baptist Church was organized Nov. 19, 1836. The man sitting in council to organize this church were Ephraim B. Kendall, Levi Mallet, Silas Bates, Philip Abner, Erastus Andrews, Jared Stayt, Joshua Kendall, and Elder Samuel Dean. In 1837 the church was built, and March 24, 1838, it was first occupied. March 30, 1840, the society was incorporated, and John Turner, Uriah Hall, and Jacob N. Weller were chosen trustees. Samuel Dean was the first pastor, and he was succeeded by O. L. Brown, S. C. Weatherby,--Beebe, J. W. Brown, J. J. Hoag, S. S. Lee, E. B. Rollins, J. S. Brown, W. H. Russell, James Kettle, and E. B. Collins, who is the present pastor. The have 46 members, with a Sunday school of 75 members, and distribute 30 copies weekly of the Sunday school paper. G. W. Stone, superintendent.
The Baptist Church at Pine Valley was organized in October 1867, at the house of Henry Burroughs, with eight members, under Rev. E. C. Rollins, who was the first pastor. --Johnson, S. C. Weatherby, and O. S. Brown succeeded him. A church was built in 1871.
A Presbyterian Church was organized and Millport, about 1836. Myron Collins and Jervis Langdon were leading members. Rev. Mr. Jackson, a brother of Gen. Jackson, still living at Watkins, was the first pastor. The church was built by them and used for a several years, that is now occupied by the Baptist. The leading members removed to other places, and a disbanded. As early as 1827, Rev. Mr. Ford preached at Sullivan Villa, and was succeeded by Rev.'s Washburn, Williams, Pratt, Pierce, Riley, and Carr until 1835. In the winner of 1877 -- 78 a church was organize, Rev. Mr. Lindsey preaching every Sabbath. Services are held in a public Hall.
At East Grove a Sunday school was organized a few years ago, under the supervision of the Veteran Sunday school association. It contains about 30 members and three teachers.
The first Cemetery was on the old Bently farm, were many of the old settlers were buried.
Another was on the farm now owned by John St. John. Abiard Lattin is buried there, the first settler in that part of the town. Another one is near the Daniel Parsons farm. Soon after Millport was settled, a plat of land, containing one acre, was bought of Erastus Crandall for $100. Feb. 27, 1841, he was deemed advisable to purchase more land, and another acre was added, on November 18, 1870, the Millport cemetery association was incorporated, and two acres were purchase, the joining the Cemetery, making the present cemetery four acres. Asher R. Frost is the president, and Charles W. Sleeper the Secretary.
A cemetery is incorporated in the Very neighborhood, in is used in connection with the free will Baptist Church.
Old Oak Lodge, No. 253, F. and AM, was chartered June 7, 1852. Charles Benson, First Worthy Master. Located at Millport. Contains ninety-six members. John C. Canton, W. M. Dexter White, Secretary.
Millport Division, No. 23, Sons of Temperance, organized September 23, 1873. Has at present 74 members. W. P. Horning, W. P.; Dexter White, Secretary.
Fidelity Lodge, No. 811, I. O. of G. T., is located at Pine Valley. Was organized Feb. 5, 1868. J. W. Dillmore, G. P.
Order of the Eastern Star, No. 6, is located at Pine Valley. Was organized in 1871. Contains 26 members. Mrs. Margaret Thompson, Matron; Thomas Dillmore, Patron.
According to the report
of the county superintendent for 1876, the town is divided into 17 districts,
which have 867 children of school age. School has been held 469 weeks.
They have 12 mail and 21 female teachers, and 717 pupils, and the library
of 445 volumes, valued at $160. Fifteen frame schoolhouses, valued with
a site at $8623.
|Balance on hand, Sept 1, 1876||14.23|
|Paid Teacher’s Wages||4,012.02|
|Balance on hand||8.17|
Millport is situated on the west line of the town, in the Valley of the Catharine Creek, and contains two churches (Methodists and Baptist), hotel, Post Office, Masonic Hall, schoolhouse, two dry goods stores, two groceries, two blacksmith shops, two grist mills, sawmill, two shoe shops, chair factory, drugstore, pump factory, and four physicians.
Banks and Allen's gristmill is situated on the Catharinwa Creek, has three runs of stone, was built about 1835, by Henry Crandall.
Heffner and Sherman’s mills were built by David Coe and Thomas McArty, about 1825, were built by John Burch about 1838, and became known as the Arnot mills; were purchased later by the present proprietors, and increased; they now have three runs of stone.
Pine Valley is situated on the west line of the town about two miles south of Millport, and contains a church, hotel, Post Office, store, schoolhouse, shoe shop, two blacksmith shops, carriage shop, creamery, grist mill, and sawmill.
The creamery is owned by Holt and Wheeler, was commenced in 1867, manufacturers 226 pounds of butter per day, and eight cheese, averaging 38 pounds, and uses the milk of 300 cows.
Sullivanville is situated in the southeast part of the town, contains a church, hotel, schoolhouse, two stores, Post Office, blacksmith shop, wagon shop, shoe shop, and sawmill.
This portion of the town was not settled until 1815, when Lanstaff Compton first commenced the aggressive work against the primitive forest and on the side of civilization. Nathan Botsford, Diedrich Schaffer, and others came in soon after.
In the spring of 1841 an epidemic in the form of scarlet fever made its appearance in Millport, and proved fatal to a large number of children. This continued to the summer, but as cold weather came on, it passed by the children and attacked the youth in form of putrid sore throat, and proved nearly as fatal as it had among younger children.
In the summer of 1842 another epidemic made its appearance in the form of erysipelatous inflammation, and was confined mostly to women in middle life; and in a few weeks Millport was bereft of several of its most respected and valuable inhabitants.
But the mortality caused by epidemics was trifling compared with the ravages of cholera, which made its appearance in the summer of 1849, and began soon after the opening of the new earth in the excavations for laying the track for the Chemung Railroad.
The disease appeared about the first of July among the laborers on the road, who were principally from Europe, and who, having been landed at Staten Island, were passed directly through to this place.
The disease proved very fatal to this class of people, and in six or seven weeks a very large number had died on the line of the Chemung Railroad, most of these deaths occurring in the town of Veteran, in the village of Millport and vicinity, but the true number were never accurately known.*
The disease created such an alarm that some families left the place, and some who stayed actually died from fear.
The disease was not wholly confined to the foreign population, but spread among the citizens and carried off some of the best inhabitants. Such was its violence that many died in three or four hours from the first attack, and several persons were found, who were evidently taken alone when walking the streets at night, dead by the wayside in the morning. We have known healthy men go to their work at 7:00, to be brought back to their lodgings and died before noon. The last drowsy thought on retiring for the night was the inquiry, "shall we again see the light of day?" The weather was very hot and dry, the thermometer standing most of the time during the continuance of the epidemic from 80 to 98 degrees. The atmosphere presented a peculiar red, hazy appearance, and all felt its debilitating influence.
The great flood of 1857 proved very disastrous to the valley of the Catharine Creek, from the damage of which it has never fully recovered. Rain had been steadily but almost continuously falling for several days, until the earth was completely saturated with water. On the morning of the 17th of June the rain began to increase, and continued till about 3:00. Previous to this time, orders had been passed along the line to turn the water out from the canal into the Creek. Between 3 and 4 o’clock the fulfillment of this order was commenced, beginning at the summit, which so increased the volume of water already there, that swooped down the valley like an avalanche, sweeping before it all the mill dams that lay in its way on the stream. And such was its volume when it reached Millport that it appeared like the wall of water five or six feet high, rapidly advancing and spreading from hill to hill on either side. Houses, barns, and other buildings were swept away. As night came on terror and consternation seized the people, who for a time saw no means to escape but to the hills. At this time, the deafening roar of the waters, the crash of falling buildings, the creaking of timbers as they were hurled down the stream, added to the deep darkness and profound gloom of night, rendered it a scene difficult to describe, but never to be forgotten.
Veteran in the Rebellion.
Dr. H. Seaman says, "the history of this town would be quite incomplete were we to omit to mention the great drama of the age, -- -- the slaveholders’ rebellion, -- -- and the connection of its people therewith. The spirit of the early antislavery movements in this town was never suffered to die out, but kept before the people until they were thoroughly grounded in their love of liberty and their hatred of slavery, that when the struggle came almost every man was ready to sustain the government in maintaining its own existence and giving freedom to all; and the citizens of this town may ever reflect with pride on the fact that on the first call for 300,000 men this was the first town in the county to fill its quota, and thereby acquired the honorable title of the "Banner Town," and it will be the lasting glory of Veteran that during that long struggle she never faltered and filled every quota on call, and thus contributed her full share to sustain the government and crush the slaveholders’ Rebellion."
This town was formed from Catharinestown April 16, 1823, while that town was in Tioga County. The records of this town were destroyed by fire in 1850, and little can be obtained prior to that time.
The following is a list of supervisors, town clerks, and justices of the peace, as correctly as can be ascertained:
|1839-40||Jeremiah B. Moore|
|1841-42||Albert T. Babcock|
|1848||William H. Phillips|
|1851-52||Degrand N. Bedient|
|1854||Burr B. Parsons|
|1855||Stoddard C. Westlake|
|1858||A. F. Babcock|
|1859-61||A. R. Frost|
|1862-64||Eli A. Owen|
|1866||A. R. Frost|
|1867||Peter A. Miller|
|1872||Hezekiah R. Thomas|
|1873-74||Lorenzo W. Bailey|
|1875||Alexander W. McKey|
|1877||Lorenzo W. Bailey|
|1878||Samuel R. Page|
|1851||Joseph C. Stoll|
|1852-53||Gabriel L. Smith|
|1854||Theodore V. Wellar|
|1855||Luther P. Lyon|
|1867||S. R. Page|
|1869-76||Charles C. Coston|
|1878||Samuel R. Page|
Justices of the peace
Theodore V. Willen
Evans P. Carr
Reuben B. Newhall
William P Chattle
S. R. Page
Bela B Crane
Isaac V. Thompson
William H. Banks
Henry H. Worden
DeWitt C. Crawford
John C. Fanton
H. H. Worden
John W. Dillmore
Charles T. Hill
J. W. Dillmore
In A. 1876, upon a recommendation of the president of the United States, a committee of seven of the oldest inhabitants of the town were appointed to gather information relative to the early settlement of the town. Dr. Henry Seaman was chosen chairman, on whom the work principally devolved. From his researches the history of Veteran is principally compiled. We are also indebted to Peter Compton, A. L. Botsford, C. C. Costin, Ranson Latton, and others.
Asher R. Frost -- Mr. Frost was the third son of Jonathan and Elizabeth Laurel Frost. He was born Nov. 29, 1818, in the old town of Catharine, then Tioga, but now Schuyler County, New York. The family consisted of eight children, namely: Thomas Sherwood, Zalmon Burr (deceased), Elizabeth Angeline, Asher Ruggles, Eleanor Jane, Laura Rachel (deceased), George Jonathan, and Francis Asbury.
His father when a young man, in company with his grandfather, Joseph Frost, moved from Reading, Fairfield County, Connecticut, in 1803, and settled in Catharine. They were among the first settlers in the then far western wild, and by their perseverance and industry soon made themselves comfortable homes.
His father, Jonathan, was not only a pioneer in the wilderness, but also a pioneer Methodists, one of eight members organized into the first class in Johnson's Settlement, one of the first in this section of country. His house was a welcome home for the early preachers. He lived a just and exemplary life, and died respected by all.
Mr. Frost is descended from Revolutionary stock. His grandfather, Joseph Frost, was a soldier of the Revolution, and he inherited a share of the sturdy virtues of the old heroes who defended the rights of the people to secure and enjoy the benefits of self-government.
Mr. Frost grew up on the farm, and enjoyed no advantages of early education, save the common school. At 19 years of age he left home to learn the trade of millwright, which he successfully accomplished and followed for several years.
He was married to Sally Maria McCarty, daughter of Charles McCarty, May 20, 1847, who is a most estimable woman. One son was born to them,-William Hollster Frost,-a bright, manly boy, loved and esteemed by all, and of whom not alone his parents but all his acquaintances had high hopes of his future. He entered Cornell University at its opening, pursued his study successfully for the first year, but soon after entering upon the second year was stricken down with typhoid fever, and died Nov. 14, 1869, in the 21st year of his age. The loss of this son, on whom all their hopes were centered, was a most crushing affliction to the parents.
Mr. Frost purchased the farm in which he now resides in 1853, and has devoted himself to its culture, to the elevation of the farmer, and the advancement of agriculture.
He has been honored by his fellow citizens, who have elected him five times to the office of supervisor of the town of Veteran. He was supervisor during a portion of the time of the war of the rebellion, when large amounts of money passed through his hands; and from that time down to these days of crimination and recrimination there never was a breath of suspicion raised against him for not properly appropriating every dollar which came into his hands.
He has been for years an active worker in the temperance reform, and strong in his convictions that the sale of intoxicating liquors should be prohibited by law. Among the agencies which he has availed himself of to carry forward this reform has been his connection and work with the Independent Order of Good Templers. He has been for three successive years elected by the Grand Lodge of the state a member of the finance committee of the Board of Managers.
He has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church for over 40 years, and always occupying some responsible station therein. For many years he has been Superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school in Millport. He is highly esteemed in his social relations, and is a man of untarnished moral character, who will leave the world better for having lived in it.
Henry Crandall -- -- Henry Crandall was born in the town of Schettacoke, Rensselaer County, New York, Sept. 22, 1795. He is a son of Heber Crandall, who was a native of the town of cold Spring, Duchess County, New York, having been born there in the year 1755, the latter's father having lived and died there. His father, James Crandall, was of English ancestry, and settling on Long Island before the dawn of the 17th century. Heber Crandall, above mentioned, removed from Schettacoke to Argyle, Washington County, this state, when Henry was an infant, and settled there as a farmer; 12 years thereafter removing to Scipio, Cayuga County, New York, where he remained a few years and then sold his farm and came to the town of Ulysses, now in Tompkins County, and from thence to that part of Catharine now included in Veteran, about 1832, and there remained until his death, which occurred while on a visit to the Ann Arbor, MI, when upwards of 80 years of age.
Henry Crandall at an early age served a seven years’ apprenticeship to the carpenter and joiner trade, which he has followed, in connection with agricultural pursuits, most of his life.
On the 18th of October, 1816, he was married to Eliza, daughter of Col. Charles Hill, of Madison County, New York, the result of this union having been five children, viz.: Charles, Humphrey, Diana, Susan, and Amos Wilson, the latter alone surviving, the third and fourth named after died in infancy. Mr. Crandall removed from Ulysses to Veteran with his family in the year 1827, having been induced to emigrate by the prospect of the construction of the Chemung Canal, the progress of which he has been watching for some three years. While in Ulysses he, in company with his brother, purchased a mill property for $6000, paying 1/2 down and mortgaging the property for the balance. A freshet washed away the dam and carried with it most of the mill stock, in consequence of which the mortgage was foreclosed, leading Mr. Crandall $500 in debt. By persevering industry and the strictest economy he paid this all up in five years; and that, too, while working at 1 dollar a day, he in the meanwhile supporting his family.
Politically he came on the stage in old Whig time, and on the formation of the Republican Party he adopted their platform, and has ever stood firm to its principles. He has held various town offices from supervisor down. He has never affiliated with any religious denomination, although he has been associated more particularly with a Society of Friends, of which his wife was an exemplary member, and widely known as "Aunt Eliza." She was a most estimable lady, of fine education, a good discourser, and of great social worth. She died in 1867, in the 68th year of her age, and 51st of her marriage. Mr. Crandall is now in his 84th year, and resides with his son, Amos W. He is well preserved, and possesses all his faculties, his eyesight alone being somewhat impaired. The writer of this sketch found him in the field husking corn in the fall of 1878.
Among the public works with which he was identified mechanically were the New York Central Railroad from Rochester to Auburn, the Chemung Canal, and the Northern Central Railroad (formerly the Chemung Railroad), from Watkins to Elmira.
The life and character of the gentleman of whom we have written presents many incidents and traits worthy to be followed, and offers a bright example of what a good citizen ought to be.
James M.VanDuzer, the eldest son of William VanDuzer, was born at Unionville, in the town of Warwick, Orange County, New York, on the 15th day of August, 1812. His mother was Sally M., the daughter of Col. Nathaniel Wheeler, of Mount Eve, Orange County, -- an extensive land owner, and one of the most prominent men of his locality.
Christopher VanDuzer, of Warwick, who was a captain in the Revolutionary war, was his grandfather.
In June 1824, he moved with his father into Chemung County, then Tioga, and settled upon the Ridge Road, in the town of Veteran, and what has so long been known as the VanDuzer farm, where he resided almost continuously during his business life.
When he first settled in Veteran, there were only about 10 acres of cleared land upon the farm, and only one or two frame houses between it and Horseheads.
He was for a few years-1838 to 1843-engaged in the lumber business in the town of Southport, first with Sylvester Sexton, and afterwards with Col. Eli Wheeler, and erected a steam sawmill upon his timber track, supposed to have been the second steam sawmill within the present limits of Chemung County. This enterprise was unsuccessful, and he returned to the farm and remained there until 1872, when his health compelled him to relinquish active business, and he moved to the village of Horseheads, where he died, on the fifth of August 1876.
He was married to Louisa Turner, the eldest daughter of Harvey Turner, December 31, 1840, who, with two sons, survive him.
For 30 years he was an active and public-spirited citizen. He served his town several terms as an assessor, and was for many years postmaster of the Veteran Post Office, established by his father soon after moving into this County, and which, in the days of stage coaches, was quite an important center for the country round about it.
In 1850 he was elected superintendent of the poorer for Chemung County on the Democratic ticket, and served three years. Being an ardent free soil Democrat, he early joined the Republican Party, and ran as its candidate for sheriff on the first regular County ticket put in nomination in 1856, but was defeated.
After the passage of the act of 1857, creating a County Board of Commissioners of excise, he was appointed by Judge North, in May of that year, one of the excise commissioners for Chemung County, and performed the duties of that office until January 1861, when his term expired.
When the war of the rebellion broke out, he was an enthusiastic supporter of the government, and though exempt from military duty, at his own expense sent a man into the army, and was among the most active of his townsmen in his efforts to have his town fill every quota called for; and it was a matter of great pride him that no draft was ever made in the town of Veteran.
On the passage of the internal revenue law, in 1861, he was appointed one of the assistant assessors of his district, and had the towns of Veteran, Catlin, Horseheads, and Big Flats under his supervision until 1867. By the reduction of the Internal Revenue Service and consolidation of the districts, his office was discontinued.
Horace Seaman, M.D.- few men of the preceding age began life under more adverse circumstances than the subject of this sketch. The oldest of six children, whose parents had no resources but their labor, and little time to care for their family, he early learned a lesson of self-reliance.
He was born Sept. 6, 1806, in the town of Pittsford, Rutland County, Vermont. His father, Benjamin Seaman, was an honest and upright man, and esteemed for his moral worth. The son’s early educational advantages were limited to the common school, which he was permitted to attend only a few months in the years; and here his advancement was retarded by extreme diffidence and stammering, which was not overcome until late in life.
Trifling incidents often shape our after pursuits. So in the present case. When about eleven years of age, he was persuaded to bleed a lady suffering from pain in the head, with a penknife, which produced immediate relief. For this act he was reprimanded by the village doctor, who at the same time encouraged his rashness (as he called it) by offering to give him a lancet with directions as to its use, on condition that he should bleed such of his patients as might suddenly be taken with the then prevailing pleurisy, as he lived several miles away. The lancet was reluctantly accepted, the agreement to fill, and in a few weeks to this was added by the same man, Dr. Peleg Barlow, a turnkey for extracting teeth.
From thence onward his determination was to someday enter the medical profession, and his energies were turned in that direction. In the year 1824 he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. P. Barlow, in Pittsford, Vermont. In the fall of 1826 he attended his first course of lectures at Castleton. The summer of 1827 was spent in Brandon with Dr. Josiah Hale, and the autumn and again attending the lectures at Castleton, where he spent the next season with Prof. Woodward, and graduated at the close of the lecture term of 1828. Thus, without pecuniary aid, he had accomplished the first object of his ambition at the age of 22.
He was married to Sallie S. Whipple, daughter of Wright Whipple, December 12, 1828. She died Aug. 6, 1842. She was a woman of more than ordinary intellect and accomplishments, and highly esteemed by all who knew her.
His second wife was Miss Eliza Thomas, daughter of the late Jonathan Thomas, a generous and noble woman. She is still living, and is the loving companion of his declining years.
The history of Dr. Seaman’s medical career is that of most country practitioners. He came to Millport in April 1830, and was soon engaged in an active practice. He held his ground against competition for 15 years, and was highly esteemed among his patients. His health failing, he went into mercantile business, with which (in company with his son, W. H. Seaman) he is still connected, but he did not wholly abandon the practice of his profession.
He is now the only member living who assisted in the organization of the Chemung County medical society, to which he has contributed some important papers, viz.: "a report of a case of remarkable injury of the brain, and recovery there from;" "an essay on stammering. Its cause and cure;" "report of a case of removal of the placenta, after an early abortion, through the tube of the speculum." This being an original suggestion, it called out discussion; and, in reply to some adverse criticism, Dr. William C. Wey, who defended the proposed practice, said, "the application of the speculum in this variety of professional experience, mentioned and illustrated by Dr. seaman, furnishes such an important aid in obstetric called practice that I can only speak of it in terms of the highest approval, and supplying the practitioner with a ready, novel, and effective method of bringing to a speedy and successful termination because which might otherwise prove tedious, complicated, and threatening."
Below a general practitioner, Dr. Seaman’s field was more particularly confined to obstetrics, as shown by the fact that he has been present at the births of over 2000 children, among whom are many of the third generation.
Dr. seaman investigates for himself, tries to arrive at the truth, and to act in accordance therewith. Thus he has made his influence felt in his town on all questions paramount in the public mind during the last half-century. Although strongly wedded to his opinions, he is not repellent in his manner, but genial and liberal in his social relations, and maintains this character in spite of the weight of years and a feeble frame. He was an early worker in the temperance movement, and an uncompromising abolitionist. He is an enthusiastic admirer of music and poetry, for which he has a very retentive memory.
He is now 72 years of age, with intellect unimpaired; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, interested in all its enterprises, and desirous to leave the world better than he found it. The doctor is a man of unblemished character, and respected wherever he is known.
Moses Cole, Esq.- This gentleman was a prominent citizen of the town of Veteran, and for many years a resident of Millport. We here present a few data from a sermon preached at his funeral, by the pastor of his church, to whom his many virtues of head and heart were well-known and duly appreciated: "Moses Cole was born in Jamestown, Montgomery County, New York, Feb. 27, 1801, and died at Millport, Chemung County, New York, June 5, 1875. His parents were natives of Connecticut; and he was the second of five children, all of whom are now in the spirit world. His parents were honest, virtuous, and God fearing people, who brought up their children in the principles of virtue and religion. In the year 1812 the family removed to Fayetteville, Onondaga County, New York. On the 16th in January, 1823, Mr. Cole united in marriage with Miss Sophia Clink. Five children were born to them, all of whom, with a mother, survive the father’s decease. At the time of their marriage neither of the parties was a professor of religion; but two years subsequent to that event the husband was converted to God, and the wife two years later; both connecting themselves with the Methodist Episcopal Church. Soon after his admission in the fold, he was elevated to the responsible position of class leader, which office he held to the end of his life, a period of more than a half a century. At about the same time he became class leader he was made a Sunday school superintendent.
"In the year 1840 he removed with his family to this beautiful valley, coming, as a master workmen, to serve the State in the construction of the Chemung Canal, intending to return after a brief period to his former home. For two years he resided at Croton, or in that vicinity, and in 1842 he came to Millport, where he spent the remainder of his life. Mr. Cole has always been a man of commanding influence in the communities where he has resided. This has been due to his intellect, his intelligence, his honesty, his kindness of heart, and his suavity of manners. He held various offices since he came among you; and every case with eminent success. For four years he was judge of sessions; for one year supervisor; for six years, terminating with his life, he was Postmaster; for 10 years he was a justice of the peace, to which responsible office he was reelected at the town meeting next preceding his death by almost common consent. In the church, as in the community, Brother Cole has always been a leader, not because he crowded himself forward, but because his brethren have laid responsibilities upon him from which he felt, as a servant of God, he could not shrink. He has not sought office, office has sought him. Though he was eminent as a citizen, a magistrate, and a man, we shall remember him chiefly as a Christian.
After careful inquiry among those who knew Mr. Cole longest and best, we can cordially endorse the estimate of him, as above given by his pastor.
Charles Hall, the subject of the sketch, and whose portrait is herewith given, is one of the representative farmers of his town, and is a native of the town of Veteran. He was born the 28th day of February 1832. His early life has been upon a farm, as have been his later years. Although considerably interested in the lumber business, having an interest in a sawmill in the adjoining town of Catlin, agricultural pursuits have in the main engaged his efforts throughout life. He has a family of six children, all daughters. Mr. Hall has been a resident of the town of Veteran all his life, located about midway between the villages of Millport and Pine Valley. He is active an enterprising, and enjoys the confidence of his fellow townsmen.
S. A. Beardsley - William Beardsley was among the first settlers and one of the original proprietors of Stratford, Connecticut. With his family, he embarked from London, in the ship "Planter," in April 1635. He was admitted a freeman in Massachusetts, Dec. 7, 1636. In the custom House records he is described as a "mason." His family consisted of his wife, Mary, and one daughter, Mary, and two sons, John and Joseph. William Beardsley died in 1661.
Joseph, youngest son of the above, married Phebe Dayton, of Brookhaven, Long Island. He died in Stratford, Connecticut, in 1712. His second son, John, married and had three children, viz.: Abraham, born March 6, 1696; John Jr., born March 9, 1701; Andrew, born March 8, 1708 and. Joseph died in 1732. Abraham married Esther Jeanes, April 17, 1723, Rev. George Pigot performing the ceremony. They had six sons and three daughters, of whom the youngest son, Michael, married Esther Nichols, whose family consisted of five sons and one daughter,-Lewis, Luke, David, James, Elias, and Polly. Luke lived and died near Bridgeport, Connecticut; the other children came to Cathrerinea, Tioga (now Schuyler) County, in the year 1800 and 1801. They all about land and commenced to clear up the heavily timbered for us, and for many years into her deprivations and hardships of a new country. Lewis was killed by the falling of a tree, May 26, 1802, aged 32 years.
David had four children, two of whom still living Catharine,-Lewis, the eldest son, now in the 83rd year of his age, and Lucius C., the youngest son, who resides on the homestead. James married Hannah Beach, and had a family of 11 children, and lived to not only clear up his land, but to see all his children except two, who are deceased, comfortably settled around him. He and his wife both died in 1851.
Lewis, eldest son of the last mentioned, was born July 18, 1796. He worked upon his father's farm until his 21st year. In 1818 (March 3) he was united in marriage to Harriet Agard, daughter of Noah Agard, and commenced their married life in a log house, but by industry and economy attained for themselves and family (six sons) a competency. Mrs. Beardsley died in 1870, in the 74th year for age, but her husband still survives, and at the date of this sketch (1878) is living with his son, James E., in Montour, Schuyler County, in the 83rd year of his age.
Samuel A. Beardsley, eldest son of the above, was born June 15, 1819. Sept. 17, 1843, he married Miss Phebe Kendall. In 1846 they settled in the town of Veteran, on a farm they now occupy. Through a fixed determination to providing a home for their old age, and by God’s blessing, they have secured a small competency. Of his three children, his two daughters are married and settled near him; his only son, Grant, lives in North Carolina, and his three children, they being the 10th generation from William Beardsley, the first mentioned in this sketch. On another page of this work will be seen a view of S. A. Beardsley's home and surroundings,-a speaking evidence of a successful farmer.
John Turner was born in the town of Nassau, Rensselaer County, New York, May 23, 1800, and was the seventh child of John Turner, who emigrated from Middletown, Connecticut, about the year 1780, with his then small family. The Turners originally emigrated from England, the place of their nativity. John, the father of our subject, reared a family of 12 children by his first wife, and three by his second; spent his days in Rensselaer County. Our subject remained with his father on the old homestead until 27 years of age; was married, February 16, 1824, to Ulissa, daughter of Robert Tifft, of Stephentown, Rensselaer County; by this union were born four children, two of whom survive, viz.: Stephen and Robert.
In 1827, month of February, Mr. Turner, in company with his wife, removed to Veteran Township (then Tioga County) Chemung County, coming all the way with an ox-team and sled, and located upon the farm where he now resides. Lived in a one-story log house for four years, when he erected a substantial frame house which he at present occupies. From the date of settlement has continued to improve; gotten timbers for a barn the first year; purchased, with his brother David, 160 acres. In politics Mr. Turner is Republicans; started out as a Whig, afterwards antislavery. Is a member of the Free-will Baptist Church, with which he is prominently identified; has done much towards the maintenance of the society, and contributed liberally to the church and school interests. He is also an advocate of Temperance, and has not tasted liquor in any form for more than 50 years, and never used tobacco in any form. Some 37 years ago Mr. Turner made lumber, which he used to deliver at Havana, with an ox team for four dollars per thousand. Mrs. Turner died Oct. 1, 1871, and Mr. Turner is now tenderly cared for by his son and family, they residing with him. He has been in dairy business 18 years.
S. R. Page – Erastus Page emigrated from Litchfield County, Connecticut, about 1819, settled in Milo, Yates County, New York, and engaged in farming, which he followed for a few years, subject to the varied success incident to pioneer life. Here the subject of this sketch was born, July 10, 1822. At the age of six years he was removed, with his parents, to the village of Penn Yan, where he lived until he was 19. In 1840 he commenced to learn the cabinetmaking trade with a cousin, Henry Page. Two years later he left Penn Yan, went to Trumansburg, Tompkins County, New York, and there worked with his brother, L. E. Page, at the same business. With the last named he came to Millport, Chemung County, New York, in October 1842. Here he soon completed his majority, and began to do for himself. After working as a journeyman for two years at Geneva and West Dresden, he returned to Millport, purchased his brother's stock in trade, and went into business for himself. Millport at that time was a lively town; lumbering and boat building afforded a large and lucrative business; but cabinetmaking was, perhaps, slower as a means of attaining well than any other of the town applications, which rendered necessary economic methods in its conduct. "Live within your means" had been learned from a father's experience, and was followed by the son during his entire business career. For 19 years he was engaged in this branch.
In October 1848, he married Miss Sarah N. White, daughter of Col. L. White, of Millport. This union was blessed with three children,-Charles E., Clara Irene, and Linn E. Clara died before she had attained her second year. Charles lived to become a young man of uncommon development and promise. He was engaged in the mercantile business with his father, and whose store he had been for a number of years; but four months after the partnership was formed, it was dissolved by his death.
S. R. Page sold out his cabinet business in 1865, and went into the general mercantile trade, purchasing, in connection with Mr. H. K. Thomas, the stock in trade of Messr. H. and W. H. Seaman, where they continued a successful business for three years. Mr. Thomas then wishing to dissolve the partnership, they divided their goods, and Mr. Page, with a portion that was his share, opened a store on the east side of Main, at the corner of Hill Street, in Millport Village. This was the momentous period off his business life. If success was to be achieved it must be forced from unfavorable surroundings, and under adverse circumstances. Goods had been purchased at high prices; prices were dropping, and markets uncertain. The purchases of today were not sure of a profit tomorrow. But by good judgment, discreet action, and untiring attention to business, with excellent home help, and a guarded care of his personal credit, he succeeded in establishing a good trade, which has continued satisfactory to the present time.
Ansol Albert, 50th Eng. Co.G.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
John W. Adamy, 50th NY Eng. Co.G., enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Charles Abgear, 50th NY Eng. Co.G., enlist 1861
Lemuel M. Andrus, 194th NY, Co., G.; enlist March, 1865; discharge 1865
Lorin Andrus, artificer, 50th NY Eng. Co. G.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Wesley Antes, 50th NY Eng. Co. G.; enlist 1862
Beach Beardsley, 107th NY Infantry, Co D; enlist 1862; wounded at Antietam, and died.
Edgar Baker, 194th NY Infantry; enlist 1864
E. S. Blanchard, 50th NY Eng; enlist 1861;discharge 1862
Appolas Bryant, 50th NY Eng; discharge March 11, 1862
Daniel Butts, 14th NYH Art; enlist 1863
Eugene Banks, 3rd NY Infantry, Co. G.; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
George Banks, 27th NY infantry, Co. G., enlist, 1861; discharge 1863
David Blanchard, 50th NY engineers; enlist, 1862; discharge 1864; died near Petersburg
Charles A. Benson, 50th N. Y. engineer, Co. M; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Alonzo Brown, 50th N. Y. engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Charles A. Brown, 50th N. Y. engineer Co. M.; enlist 1863 discharge 1865
Abram J. Bovee, enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Joseph Byrom, 194th N. Y. infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Willis Brewer, 194th N. Y. infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
William Bamir, enlist 1864
Lyman Boughton, substitute; enlist 1864
James Bank, substitute; enlist 1864
Joseph Becker, enlist 1864
Henry Brown, 23rd NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1862; killed at Antietam
William Brown, enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Samuel Blanchard, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Summers Banks, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Samuel A. Bennet, Capt., 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Oscar Bentley, enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Hugh Berry, enlist 1863; discharge 1865
David Blanchard, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1863; died at poplar Grove church, 1865
Charles C. Coston, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
George M. Coston, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1861; discharge 1864
Charles A. Cotton, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge Jan. 9, 1862
David Campbell, enlist 1864
John Campbell, artificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1862
William E. Campbell, artificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1864
Jensen Campbell, 14th NY artillery; enlist 1863
William S. Carr, 50th NY engineer, Co. B.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
John M. Carr, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
John Cummins, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Orville C. Churchill, substitute; enlist 1864
William Coulter, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Michael Camody, substitute; enlist 1864
John M. Carpenter, 89th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1865; re-enlist a member of "Forlorn Hope," Fredericksburg
Lewis Campbell, 50th NY engineers; enlist 1861
Ransford Chapman, enlist 1862
John C. Crawford, enlist 1864
Leonard Champion, substitute; enlist 1864
Rufus Calkins, 107th NY infantry, Co. G.; enlist 1862
Charles Couch, died in Salisbury prison
Wilson Curtis, 89th NY infantry; enlist 1861; lost
Charles David, discharge 1864
Albert J. Disbrow, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Bennett J. Denson, Lieut., 3rd NY L. artillery, Co. B.; enlist 1862; discharge 1864; promoted to 16th NY artillery
Merrill Denson, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; died July 15, 1862, at Harrison's Landing, Virginia
Garrit F. Davis, substitute; enlist 1864
James Daily, 141st NY infantry; enlist 1862
George W. Downing, 141st NY infantry; enlist 1862
Levi F. Dodge, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge Jan. 26, 1863
William Dalrymple, 24th cavalry, Co. D.; enlist 1863; discharge 1864; killed near Petersburg, Virginia
Thomas H. Dalrymple, 24th cavalry, Co. D.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Samuel Dean, enlist 1862
Timothy Dean, 23rd NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
John Dean, enlist 1864
Richard M. Dillmore, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Thomas C. Dillmore, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Henry L. Decker, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Monroe C. Dayton, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Marcus Dayton, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862; wounded at Antietam and died
Horace Dumond, enlist 1864
Wilson Dean, 89th NY infantry; enlist 1864; lost in battle
Elijah H. Everett, Sergeant, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Charles D. Egbert, 89th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1864
Orrin B. Egbert, 89th NY infantry; enlist 1862
John D. Egbert, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1862; lost an arm at Antietam
Chauncey Fitch, substitute 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
David Faulkner, enlist 1863
Frank Frost, Lieut. 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
John Fulford, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Peter French, 50th NY engineers, Co. G.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
William Falon, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1864
Nathaniel Finch, 107th NY infantry; enlist 1862; died in service at Frederick City, 1862
Robert S. Goodman, 50th NY infantry, Co. G.; enlist 1863
Ernest L. Green, substitute; 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Gilbert Green, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
John Gunn, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1863; discharge 1864; died at Washington
John S. Greenly, enlist 1864
Timothy Gustin, substitute; enlist 1864
Abijah Hathaway, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Aranthus Hyatt, enlist 1863
Bradley Hanes, substitute 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Charles Hollenback, enlist 1864
Charles T. Hill, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Egbert Haney, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Fred Holden, 194th NY infantry, Co. A.; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Edwin Holden, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
Edward Hall, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
John Halpin, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Frank Hathaway, enlist 1864
Gordon Harrington, enlist 1864
George W. Hummer, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862
George Huxton, enlist 1862
Jacob Hinman, 24th NY Cav, Co. D. enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Schuyler Hall, 50th NY engineer, Co. B.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
James M. Henderson, enlist 1862
William Hurley, substitute; enlist 1864
Chauncey Hollenback, enlist 1864
John W. Howard, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Nathan Hill, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1864
Ruben Howard, 14th NY H. artillery; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Richard Hultz, 50th NY engineer, Co. H.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Stuart Hamilton, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1863
Paul C. Hough, 24th cavalry; enlist 1863; discharge 1864; died near City point Virginia
Norman F. Hoyt, enlist 1863
William Hellan, first NY Vet cavalry, Co. H.; enlist 1863; discharge Aug. 1865
Rawson B. Hultz, 27th NY infantry; enlist 1861; reenlist; shot by sharpshooter at Winchester, Virginia, 1865
Eli Ingram, substitute; enlist 1864
John C. Ingalls, Sergeant, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
DeWitt Johnson, artificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1864; died in Washington
John A. Jackson; enlist 1863
Lorenzo Jones, Lieut. Colonel, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
Louis Johnson, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Burr Keeler, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Charles Knott, 50th NY engineer, Co. B.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Charles M. Knapp, substitute; enlist 1864
Jerome Kendall, 50th NY engineer, Co. H.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Isaac Kelly, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Simon U. Kase, substitute; enlist 1864
Malon Kerrick, substitute; enlist 1864
Charles Lyman, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
David Lattin, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Daniel Ladew, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1864
George W. Lovell, artificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Joseph Lattin, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
James Lewis, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Harris Lattin, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865
Henry Lovell, 50th NY engineer, Co. H.; enlist 1865
Hiram Locke, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862
Horace Lattin, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Lyndal Lewis, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Salmon S. Lovell, enlist 1861; died in hospital at Hilton head, 1864
Oliver C. Larcum, 50th NY engineer
William Lovell, enlist 1862; died in Salsbury prison
Aaron McKinney, artificer, 50th NY engineer
Alonzo McDougal, 15th NY infantry; enlist 1864
Charles A C. Mosher, 194th NY infantry, Co. A.; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
David McWhorter, 50th NY engineer; discharge 1863
Ezra Mallory, enlist 1862
George McDougal, 15th NY infantry; enlist 1864
George Miller, artificer, enlist 1862
Charles Murray, artificer, 50th NY engineer
Heber F.Morgan, enlist 1865
Ephraim Malette, Lieut., 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge February 8, 1862
James Maher, enlist 1863
Jeremiah M. Murphy, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Joe Marcy, substitute; enlist 1864
James McCarty, substitute, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865 discharge 1865
Kichel Miles, 107th NY infantry
Mortimer W. Morgan, artificer, 50th NY engineer
Sylvester F. Malette, Sergeant, 50th NY engineer
William S. Malette, 50th NY engineer; enlist Sept. 1863; discharge Jan. 1865
Luther A. Mattison, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Samuel McManus, 23rd NY infantry; enlist 1861
William Mallory, 141st NY infantry; enlist 1862
Thomas McCue, substitute, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Andrew Norris, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Edward Norris, 15th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
William Nichols, 1st NY Vet.. Cavalry, Co. G.; enlist 1864
Gilbert Owens, enlist 1862
Peter Ostrander, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Rufus Owens, enlist 1862
Arnold Perry, 50th NY engineer; discharge Nov. 14, 1862
Benajah M. Parks, 1st Vet. Cavalry, Co. B.; enlist; 1863 or discharge 1865
Erastus Putnam, enlist 1864
Henry M. Plants, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
John Perry, 32nd NY infantry; enlist 1861
Joseph J. Phelps, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Jacob H. Perry, artificer, 50th NY engineer
James Pierce, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Matthias M. Peterson, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Royal Phelps, 194th NY infantry, Co. A.; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Ralph Plumstead, 24th cavalry, Co. D.; enlist 1864
William Perry, enlist 1862
Alanson Quackenbush, enlist 1864
Abram Rowe, 50th NY engineer, Co. H.; enlist 1863
Bernard Riley, 50th NY engineer
Cornelius Rowe, 50th NY engineer, Co. B.; enlist 1862
John F. Robinson, 50th NY engineer
James W. Riley, 50th NY engineer
John W. Rowley, 50th NY engineer
Hiram Rogers, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1864
James Riley, 2nd U. S. A.; enlist 1861
John Reiley, a list 1864
Jackson B. F. Reeder, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862
Benjamin Rhodes, 50th NY engineer, Co. B.; enlist 1863
Thomas F. Rhodes, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Robert P. Rogers, 50th engineer; enlist 1862
Milton Reeder, 194th NY infantry, Co. A.; enlist 1864
Nelson B. Rogers, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1863
Abdin O. Slater, 50th NY engineer
Alvin C. Struckland, substitute
Buel Sterling, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1864
Benjamin M. Squire, enlist May 3, 1862
Brian D. Stuart, killed at Fort Pulaski
Charles Sherwood, 27th NY infantry; enlisted 1861; reenlisted in 14th NY artillery
Ephrim Smith, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861
Erastus Sayles, enlist 1863
Elisha H. Sherman, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
George Stocum, artificer, enlist 1862
George A. Simmons, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
John D. Squires, musician, 50th NY engineer
George C. Stuart, 50th NY engineer; enlist Nov. 4, 1862
George W. Sayles
Henry S. Sherwood, artificer, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865; reenlist 194th NY infantry
Ira Shappe, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Jason H. Smart, 50th NY engineer
Jonathan Sherwood, 50th NY engineer, Co. B.; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
Jackson Seely, substitute; enlist 1864
Levi Smith, artificer, 50th NY engineer
Luther Staley, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862
Lyman Strait, 194th NY infantry Co. A.; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Lewis Sherwood, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Matthew J. Stuart, enlist 1862
Mortimer V. Sawyer, enlist 1862
Thomas D. Soper, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Very Shuart, substitute; enlist 1864
William H. Sawyer, enlist 1862
William Strong, enlist 1864
H. Warren Seamon, musician, 48th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
Charles A. Thompson, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Daniel. D. Thompkins, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1865
Charles A. Thomas, Lieutenant, 23rd NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1865; promoted
Edward Terwelliger, substitute; enlist 1864
Hiram Tompkins, artificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Edward Thomas, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
Franklin Terry, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
John B. Tifft, 194th NY infantry; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Otis Thayer, actificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1864
Theodore G. Tompkins, musician, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1861; discharge 1861
William O.Thayer, 141st regiment; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
William C. Tompkins, enlist 1864
Sterling Taylor, substitute; enlist 1864
Hiram Vandermark, artificer, 50th NY engineer
Rufus Vail, 50th NY engineer, Co. G.; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Orin Vail, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
William Vanhouten, 103rd regiment; enlist 1862
Morris P. Weed, artificer, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Albert Whitford, 194th regiment, Co. A.; enlist 1865; discharge 1865
Isaac Wellar, 24th NY cavalry; enlist 1863; discharge 1865
Benjamin Williams, 34th Massachusetts infantry; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
Edwin Wellar, Captain, 107nd and NY infantry; enlist 1862; discharge 1865
Abraham E. Wanzer, 50th NY engineer, Co. D.; enlist 1863
Amasa B. White, regiment band, 48th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
Dexter White, 50th NY engineer; enlist 1864; discharge 1865
James White, regiment band, 48th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
John H. Wanzer, 107th NY infantry, Co. D.; enlist 1862
Henry H. Worden, 38th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1862
Mordecal Williams, 89th NY infantry; enlist 1863; discharge 1864; member of Forlorn Hope at Fredericksburg; wounded at Petersburg, Virginia
Theodore Wheat, enlist 1864
Leroy Wellar, regiment band, 48th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1863
Monroe Wellar, regiment band, 48th NY infantry; enlist 1861; discharge 1863