|We now have a local history museum in Mansfield representing the area
in and near Mansfield including Sullivan, Rutland, Covington and more
Visit the History Center on Main Street at 83 North Main Street. We also have a locaton at 61 North Main Street.
Regular hours are noon to 3 T, W Th or by appointment.
by George A. Retan, Ph.D.
Pictures Collected by Chester P. Bailey
Published by The Council of Mansfield Borough 1956
Copyright Mansfield Advertiser 1957
Reprinted on Tri-Counties Site by permission of Chester P. Bailey, former owner of Mansfield Advertiser
One of the most important measures passed by the Council in this decade was that of Dec. 24, 1906, in which it was agreed that the Borough would pay 25% of the cost of laying cement sidewalks on private lots if the walks were built according to the specifications set forth in the ordinance. Provision was made for inspection. As a result of this far-sighted ordinance, sidewalk building went on very rapidly for several years, especially in 1910 when many crosswalks were also laid by the Borough. Curbs were built on N. Main to Sherwood and gutters on S. Main from the square to near Normal Avenue. The staples in the curbing for hitching horses were ordered removed in 1903.
In 1909 an ordinance was passed legalizing the names of the streets of the Borough. The only changes, or new streets from those previously opened were: Novelty Place, Main Street to the electric plant; Decker Street, N. Main to the foot of Pickle Hill; Coles Street, formerly N. Sullivan Street; Corey Street, N. Main to the condensary; Clinton Street to be opened to Fourth Street, and numbers four to eight given to streets that had been called by various names over the years, such as Elm, Lincoln Avenue, J. S. Hoard was authorized to number the houses and lots on the streets and these numbers were to be official. Leach Alley, from W. Wellsboro, back of the Shepard Store, 90 feet north, and then west to Sassafras Alley was laid out.
Beginning in 1908 the movement to take care of the cemetery on N. Main Street, called Hope Cemetery at this time, was under way. This cemetery consisted of Three parts: the old part owned by the Township originally Hope Cemetery proper, and the Sherwood addition. The Council agreed to give the Association any land owned by the Borough, the old Township portion, and this was done in 1909 after Prospect Cemetery Association had been formed. In 1903 the Council had paid for laying water pipes into the Cemetery, the water being donated by the Water Company. The Council also paid for cleaning up the old Township section. There was the usual concern with the sewers and with washing by Corey Creek. In 1903 an overflow sewer was run under the railroad into the Park after an agreement was made with the park association to protect them, and this proved successful for some time. The sewer on Extension Street caused trouble due to the old tannery race. The River Road was protected by wharfing in 1904 and wing dams were built on Corey Creek at Extension Street and Academy Street.In 1911 the bridge over Corey Creek at Extension Street was made a County Bridge. Fourth the street was surveyed for a sewer in 1907. In 1908 the Elmira Street sewer was extended 200 feet beyond Extension Street. In 1913 the residents on Elmira, Academy, St. James and main Streets were ordered to do away with the sewer system, if not already connected. The water system was extended to the bridge leading to the Newtown Road and on Coles Street.
The Fire Companies previously active had become dormant. Harry B. Taylor and Ray Longbothum were active in getting help from the Council in restoring interest, 500 feet of hose was bought in 1904. The company was reorganized in 1906 and has been active ever since. Their New Year’s parties, stag, during this period, were very popular. On Dec. 23, 1908 Old Hook and Ladder Company had a reunion.
In 1908 D. J. Butts donated a water fountain for watering horses placed first at the N. W. corner of the square but afterwards moved to E. Wellsboro Street opposite the Presbyterian Church.
The Methodist Church in 1908 gave the triangle at Sullivan and Academy Streets to the Borough, and in the Borough and in 1924 the Borough deeded it to the Normal. In 1909 an anti-spitting ordinance was passed but the Council bought six cuspidors for the Council room. In 1908 a dog muzzling ordinance was passed. In 1911 and in 1912 municipal House Cleaning Days were observed. The ordinance requiring bonds for bicycle riders was still enforced. In 1905 the G. A. R. was granted $21.00 to employ "an eloquent and distinguished speaker for Memorial Day." In 1908 the Borough Building was considerably repaired with steel ceilings and new decorations.
The extensions of the R. F. D. in 1903 and 1904 caused the abandonment of the stage Which had run to Wellsboro to Troy.
The Citizens Telephone Company was greatly extended, and completed a long distance connection with the Bell System.
Beginning in 1907, R. W. Allen had a business school in the Shepard Block for a number of years.
About 1908, Mansfield residents started a "Dummer Colony’ at Oakwood. This was on the west side of the river at Canoe Camp along the old mill race, and the dam for the race had provided a good swimming hole. An ice house built here was one of the main sources of ice for Mansfield for many years. Some of the old cottages are still used.
A new street sprinkler was bought in 1909.
In 1909 stock was being sold for a company to build a trolley line to Wellsboro. This was agitated for a few years, but the advent of the automobile at a reasonable price made it impractical.
The Fair Association bought more land north of the former grounds in 1910 and in 1911 built a 100-foot addition to the grandstand. During this decade the Fair was very successful, with the attendance frequently running to 20,000 or more on Thursday.
The Physicians during this period were: Dr. C. V. Elliott to 1904; F. G. Wood, F. G. Elliott, B. Moody, W. D. Vedder and Dr. Edith Flower.
The Dentists were: Harry Bailey to 1903; Oramel Newell to 1909; A. W. Edstrom, S. E. Williamson.
Dr. Whiting was the Veterinary Surgeon.
Lawyers: Harvey Leach, Frank Clark