The township of Westfield was formed from the township of Deerfield, in the year 1821. It is bounded on the north by Brookfield township, on the east by Deerfield and Chatham townships, on the south by Clymer township and on the west by Potter County. The Cowanesque river runs through the township from west to east, near the northern boundary line between it and Brookfield. Its mean elevation above tide is about 1,600 feet. Its inhabitants are now chiefly engaged in farming. The original settlers were generally of New England origin, and had been former residents of the State of New York, Chenango, Cortland and Delaware counties being largely represented. Among the first settlers were Porter Lapham, Nathaniel Mann, Ayres Tuttle, Reuben Cook and John Thomas.
Westfield borough was formed from Westfield township in the year 1867. It is situated upon the banks of the Cowanesque river, at the mouth of Mill Creek, and is one of the most prosperous and growing boroughs in the valley of the Cowanesque. The Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim Railroad and the Addison and Northern Pennsylvania railroad companies have each a station, express office and telegraph office in the borough. It contains several large industrial establishments, a graded school, several churches, a number of stores, saloons, groceries and shops, two hotels, a newspaper printing office, and is rapidly increasing in wealth and population.
Samuel Phillips erected the first saw mill in the borough.
David Close remodeled a house and kept a hotel in the year 1842.
Butler B. Strang was the first burgess of the borough of Westfield.
Wesleyan Methodist church organized under the ministration of Rev. Francis Strang in 1850.
Rev. Francis Strang was the first merchant in Westfield borough. He opened a store in 1840.
Richard Phillips erected the first grist mill in Westfield borough. There had been a small one in the township years before.
Westfield tannery erected in the year 1876.
Methodist Episcopal held service in the township in the year 1830.
Corning, Cowanesque and Antrim R.R. completed to Westfield Nov. 1882.
Addison and Northern Penna. R.R. completed to Westfield Nov. 1882.
Hon. Butler B. Strong, died in May 1884, at his home in Westfield. He was one of the most able and distinguished citizens of Tioga County.
The locomotive engineer who ran the first engine into Westfield over the A. & N.P.R.R., was Edward Bryant, (Spike); Daniel Conderman, fireman.
Col. James E. Jones wore a straw hat into Westfield November 7, 1882, upon the completion of the A.& N.P.R.R., to fulfil his prophecy made in June previous, that the road would be completed to Westfield before he discarded his summer hat.
The A. & N.P.R.R. was located from Westfield to Knoxville by Wm. E. Wormelsdorff, chief engineer, Wm. O. Bristol, level, Charles Nelson, rodman, Samuel M. Sexton, transit, John McGee; head chainman, Richard Laney, rear chainman, Hawkins Simpson, James Metcalf, axemen, Charles Kimber, peg agent, Lyman Swan, flagman.
Knights of Honor, No. 1206, organized Sept. 16, 1878. The first officers were D., W. H. Fuller; V. D., Charles Krusen; A. D., B. F. Mulford; G., James H. Metcalf; R., J. B. Tubbs; T. R., E. H. Ashcroft; Treas. William A. Omans; Chaplain, A. S. Mintoyne; Guardian, Seth W. Harris; Sentinel, E. V. Eaton; Med. Ex., A. L. Bottom, M.D.
Westfield Lodge No. 477, F.A.M., organized in Westfield borough Dec. 28, 1870; first stated meeting held January 1871. The officers were: T. C. Sanders, W.M.; N.J. Krusen, S.W.; Edwin B. Bulkley, J.W.; A.D. Ashcroft, S.D.; Nelson Doty, J. D.; E. H. Stebbins, Sec.; Isaac Plank, Treas.; A. K. Sayles, Tiler. The charter member were T. C. Sanders, Edwin B. Bulkley, Sylvester D. Phillips, James Masten, Isaac Plank, E. H. Stebbins, John Davis, Philetas L. Corbin, E. P. Fish, Nelson Doty, Charles Bliss, Levi Skinner, N. J. Krusen, Norman Buck, A. D. Ashcroft, A. K. Sayles.