Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice October 1998
on Barclay Mountain
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Barclay township was organized in 1867, taken
from Franklin. It is bounded on the north by Franklin, on the east
by Monroe and Overton, on the south by Overton, on the west by Leroy.
It is situated in the highlands in the southwestern portion of the county,
about two thousand feet above sea level. The business of mining semi-bituminous
coal has been carried on quite extensively since 1856, when a railroad
from Towanda, a distance of about sixteen miles was constructed.
It was named Barclay in honor of Charles Barclay, of London, England, the
owner of lands in the township. The history of Barclay would be the
history of the mining companies which have been engaged in mining coal.
Several million tons of coal have been mined and shipped to market since
the commencement of mining operations. Barclay is a mining village
containing about eight hundred inhabitants, who are chiefly engaged in
mining, or in labor connected therewith. Carbon Run, a mining village
about two miles west of Barclay, which formerly contained about three hundred
inhabitants, is now about entirely deserted, the coal being worked out
as is alleged. The coal is let down from the Barclay mountain by
means of an incline to the foot of the plane, from whence it is taken by
cars and locomotives to Towanda.
--Mountain Cliff Lodge, Knights of Pythias,
was organized April 8th, 1873. First officers were:
John Kellock, V. P.; F. M. Miner,
C. C.; William Johnson, V. C.; John Noble, K. Of R. S.
--Barclay Lodge, No. 807, I. O. O. F., was
organized July 12th, 1872. Charles Hutchinson, N. G.;
John Deitchburn, V. G.; L. S.
Kelder, Sec.; Edward Wheatley, Treas.
--The Barclay Coal Company was organized in
1853, by Edward Overton of Towanda, John Ely
and Edward M. Davis, of Philadelphia.
Edward Overton, first President; James Macfarlane,
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June