Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 26, 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung, Steuben,
Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES, BORO'S
Canton township is situated in the extreme
southwest portion of Bradford county. The sources of
Towanda creek, which flows eastward into the
North Branch of the Susquehanna, and the sources of the Lycoming creek
or river which flows southward into the West Branch of the Susquehanna,
are found in this township. The Northern Central Railroad passes
through the township from south to north, having several stations in the
township. Canton and Alba are boroughs which have been formed from
its territory. East Canton, Grover and Minnequa, are villages and
post towns. The soil is well adapted to grazing, orchard products,
and growing of corn, oats, buckwheat and wheat. Some of the finest
farms and farm dwellings and capacious barns in the county are found in
Canton. Canton borough stands third in the county as a shipping point
for agricultural and other products, and is only excelled by Troy and Towanda.
Canton borough is rapidly increasing in wealth and population.
The early settlers were: Rufus Gere,
Orr Scoville, Ezra Spalding, Horace Spalding, Jonas Gere, Jonathan Prosser,
Alvin Cook, Gershon Gillett, Wilkes Gillett, Zephaniah Rogers, Zephaniah
Rogers, Jr., John Newell, Dr. Moses Emerson, Ichabob Sellard, Labon Landon,
Benjamin Landon, Major Withey, Ebenezer Bixby, Samuel Griffin, Nathan Roberts,
Samuel Griffin, Jr., Joel Bullock, Abram Taber, Jacob Granteer, Isaiah
Grover, Benjamin Babcock, Nathaniel Babcock, Samuel Rockwell, David Pratt,
Stephen Sellard, Elisha Wilcox, Stephen Strickland, Amos Strickland.
--Ezra Spalding kept the first hotel
--Canton borough was incorporated in
--Orr Scoville built the first framed
house, in Canton.
--Samuel Strait opened the first bank
in Canton, in 1871.
--Dr. Sylvester was the first regular
physician in the town.
--The first settler in the town of Canton,
was Rufus Gere, in 1796.
--Zepaniah Rogers built the first grist
mill. It was a small concern.
--Canton borough was originally known
as “Canton Four Corners.”
--Canton was named in honor of a town
by that name in Connecticut.
--Samuel Griffin erected the first school
house in the township, in 1803.
--Samuel Griffin, an early settler of
Canton, was a revolutionary soldier.
--Ezra Spalding, an early settler of
Canton, was a soldier of the revolution.
--Miss Emma Seagar taught the first
school in 1803, now within Canton borough.
--Loren Kingsbury taught the first school
in Canton township, in the winter of 1801-2.
--The early settlers in Canton, had
to go to Towanda, Tioga Point, Newtown or Williamsport, for their
--Canton Lodge, A. Y. Masons, No. 415,
instituted March 4th, 1868. C. W. Landon, W. M; Warren Landon, S.
W.; W. W. Whitman, J. W.; B. W. Clark, Sec.
--Minnequa Lodge, No. 374, Knights of
Pythias, instituted in April 1871, Theodore Pierce, V. P.; J. A.
McNaught, C. C.; E. L. Manley, V. C.; M. R. Doty, K. Of R. S.
--Canton Lodge, No. 321, I. O. O. F.,
organized October 29, 1848. First officers were: William Gosline,
N. G.; Dr. W. S. Baker, V. G.; A. C. Pickard, Sec.; J. W. Griffin, Treas.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June