Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Leroy township was formed in 1835, taken
from Canton. It is situated in the south-western portion of the county,
near the coal mining region of Barclay. It is bounded on the north
by Granville; on the east by Franklin, Barclay and Overton; on the south
by Sullivan county; on the west by Canton. The streams of the township
are Towanda creek, and the head waters of the Schrader. Leroy is
quite a thriving village, situated on Towanda Creek. The northern
portion of the township is quite productive, while the southern is hilly
and mountainous, reaching into the coal measures.
The early settlers were Hugh Holcomb,
Sterling Holcomb, Eli Holcomb, Seeley Crofut, Dennison Kingsbury, Elihu
Knight, George Brown, Joel Bodwell, Capt. Elijah Rice, Joseph Wallace,
Welcome Rice, Peter Gordon, Isaac Chaapel, David Andrews, Truman Holcomb,
Isaac Wooster, Luther Hinman, Miles Oakley, George Head, Aaron Cook, Timothy
Culver, Alpheus Holcomb, David Wooster, Nicholas Gordon, Henry Segar, David
Jayne, Loren Kingsbury, Jesse Morse, Orison Royce, Henry Mercur, John Knapp,
Jesse Robart, Henry Knowles, Jeremy Bailey, Samuel McCrancy, Ira Crofut.
--Orison Royce built a distillery in
--A hurricane occurred in Leroy, in
--Leroy was christened by Ira Crofut,
--The Baptists erected a church in Leroy,
--The Disciples erected a church in
Leroy, in 1850.
--Hugh Holcomb erected the first grist
mill, in 1820.
--The Methodists erected a church in
Leroy, in 1857.
--Deacon Seeley Crofut opened the first
store in Leroy.
--Martin Holcomb was the first white
child born in Leroy.
--Rev. David Jayne taught the first
school in the township.
--The first saw mill was erected by
Hugh Halcomb, in 1808.
--Aaron Knapp was the first Justice
of the Peace in the township.
--Deacon Seeley Crofut organized the
first Sunday School in the towns, in 1799.
--The McCraney settlement was made by
Samuel McCrancy and Jeremy Bailey, in 1846.
--Hugh Holcomb and Elizabeth Oakley
were the first couple married in the township, and
Mrs. Holcomb was the first person who died in the township.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June