Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
MONROE TOWNSHIP AND
The township of Monroe was formed in
1821, taken from Burlington and Towanda. Monroeton was incorporated
as a borough in 1855. The township of Monroe is bounded on the north
by Towanda; on the east by Asylum; on the south by Albany; on the west
by Overton, Barclay and Franklin. It is well watered by the Towanda
creek and its branches, the Fowler and Schrader, and contains a very fertile
and productive soil. Some portions of it is hilly and uneven, but
it has been brought under a fair state of cultivation.
Its early settlers were Gordon Fowler,
Reed Brockaway, Jonathan Fowler, Roger Fowler, Noadiah Cranmer, John Cranmer,
Samuel Cranmer, John Schraeder, John Neeley, Harmon Schraeder, Reese Stevens,
William Dougherty, Jacob Bowman, David Gilbert, Timothy Alden, Jared Woodruff,
Eliphalet Mason, Gordon F. Mason, Chester Mason, Ebenezer Mason, Andrew
Irving, Geo. Irving, Welch Irving, Nelson Gilbert, James Lewis, Amos V.
Mathews, Henry Salisbury, Elisha Cole, Anthony Vanderpoel, Russel Fowler.
--Andrew Irving was the first tanner
in Monroe township.
--Anthony Vanderpoel built a grist mill,
in the township, in 1800.
--The coal was discovered on the Barclay
mountain, by Edsall Carr.
--Jared Leavenworth was the first blacksmith
to use the Barclay coal.
--The first school was taught in the
township, in the year 1801, by Miss Polly Fowler.
--Mrs. Gordon Fowler, planted the first
apple orchard, from seeds she brought from Connecticut.
--James Lewis, an early settler, of
Monroe, was taken prisoner when twelve years of age, by the
French and Indians.
--Evergreen Lodge, No. 163, A. Y. M.,
was instituted March 1, 1819. The first officers were:
Eliphalet Mason, W. M.; Simon Kinney, S. W.; Russel Fowler, J. W.
--Monroeton is a pleasant village, situated
at the junction of the Sullivan and State Line Railroad and the Towanda
and Barclay Railroad.
--Eliphalet Mason was an early settler
of Monroe, a teacher, Justice of the Peace, Deputy Sheriff, County Commissioner,
Register and Recorder, He was the father of Hon. Gordon F. Mason.
--John Schraeder, an early settler,
was a Hessian. He deserted from the British Army, in New Jersey,
during the revolutionary war and joined the Continental Army, and remained
in service Until Independence was won.
--“Old Mother Northrup,” died in Monroe,
in the year 1837, aged one hundred and twelve years, and ten months.
She was married when she was about one hundred years old, to Mr. Alexander
Howden; a revolutionary soldier. The magistrate performing the service
was Samuel Gore, Esq., Of Sheshequin.
--Monroeton Lodge, No. 137, I. O. O.
F., was instituted at Monroeton, February 12th, 1846. The first officers
were: D. C. Salisbury, Noble Grand; E. W. Morgan, Vice Grand; Gordon F.
Mason, Secretary; William H. Strickland, Treasurer. The first initiations
were: Anthony Mullen, Henry S. Salisbury, William Gosline, Joseph B. Smith,
Robert Hunter, Eliphalet Mason, Dr. Samuel Huston, Ira H. Stevens, S. S.
Hinman, Peter C. Ward, Elias Mathewson, O. D. Satterlee, O. O. Shipman,
Benjamin Wilcox, George Tracy, James H. Wells, Byron Kingsbury, Wilson
Rogers, Gordon F. Mason. This was the first lodge of Odd Fellows
instituted in the county of Bradford. For years a strong feeling
had existed against the formation of secret societies, and especially Free
Masons. The introduction of Odd Fellowship was regarded by the uninitiated
as being only Masonry revived in a re-organized form, and strong sentiments
of opposition to any secret societies was manifested. Many who had
been Free Masons joined Odd Fellowship, and together they turned in a measure,
the strong tide of opposition in its favor. Yet they were extremely
cautious, and for many years had much to discourage and annoy them.
The order however, continued to flourish and increase in numbers
and strength, until Odd Fellowship in Pennsylvania stands first in the
list of Odd Fellows in the United States. Monroeton has the
honor of having the first Odd Fellows Lodge in Bradford county, established
within its limits, and Athens, the honor of the first Masonic lodge.
It is a subject worthy of remark, that there has never been any rivalry,
contention, or disagreement at all between Odd Fellows and Free Masons
notwithstanding, they are two separate and distinct organizations, thus
setting an example worthy of imitation by other organizations.
They both aim to improve the morals, instruct their members relieve the
poor and needy and spread the mantle of charity in its broadest form.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June