Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice October 1998
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
PIKE TOWNSHIP AND
THE BOROUGH OF LE RAYSVILLE
The township of Pike was organized in 1813,
taken from Orwell and Rush. LeRaysville was incorporated as a borough
in 1863, formed from Pike township. The township of Pike is bounded
on the north by Warren, on the east by Susquehanna county, on the south
by Tuscarora, on the west by Herrick and Orwell. The Wyalusing creek
and its tributaries, are the principal streams in the township. The
soil is well adapted to grazing and dairy. There are five postoffices
in the township. LeRaysville, a borough is the chief village in the
Early settlers were: Jacob Fencler, Damon
Bostwick, Benazah Bostwick, James Rockwell, Seth P. Rockwell, Nathan Abbott,
Darius Coleman, Elijah Coleman, Benjamin Abbott, Eleazer Russell, Ephraim
Fairchild, William Frink, David Olmstead, Elisha Keeler, John Bradshaw,
Capt. Isaac Bronson, Aden Stevens, Nathan Stevens, Samuel Stevens, William
Turrell, Samuel Luckey, Abraham Taylor, Salmon Bosworth, Josiah Bosworth,
Reed Bosworth, Alba Bosworth, Joseph Bosworth, Daniel Metcalfe, Ezekiel
Mowrey, George Mowrey, John Ford, Bela Ford, James Brink, Elisha Coggswell,
Joseph Pierce, Thomas Brink, Daniel Bennett, Benajah Bennett, James Brink,
William Brink, Jesse Ross, Daniel Ross, Joseph Ross, William Johnson, Adolphus
Olmstead, William Buck Gould Seymour, Isaac Seymour, Andrew Canfield, Isaac
Hancock, Edmund Stone, Dr. Baker, Joseph Preston, Elijah Tillotson, James
Hines, Samuel Seeley, David Doud, Peter Stephens, Judah Benjamin, Timothy
Gaylord, Reuben Wells, Amasa Wells, Jesse Edsall, Reuben Atwood, Joseph
Utter, Benjamin Seeley, Mathias Scrivens, Roswell Slater, Ezra Winship,
Amos Northrop, Henry Ellsworth, James Ellsworth, Joseph Ellsworth, Jonathan
Ellsworth, Joseph Jenkins, Edward Jones, Sr., David Thomas, Sr., Reese
Griffith, David Thomas, Jr., David Morris, David Williamson, Phillip Williams,
John Williams, Rev. Daniel Jones, Sr., Samuel Davis, John Edwards, Jenkins
Jones, William Evans, Thomas Jones, Evan Howell, William Howell, John Howell,
Thomas Howell, Roger Howell, David Davis, Henry Walters, James Walters,
Thomas Walters, Richard Williams, John Morris, Daniel P. Jones, John Davis,
John Thomas, Samuel Thomas, Israel Jenkins, John Jones, David J. Thomas,
Jenkins Jones, 2nd, David Davis, Thomas J. Thomas, Roger Griffiths, Thomas
W. Williams, Dr. William Roberts, Isaac Seymour, Samuel Edsall.
--Alva Bosworth, built a saw-mill, in the year
--Salmon Bosworth built the first grist mill,
--Pike township was named in honor of General
--Samuel Stevens was the first tanner, in
--Elisha Keeler, Sr., the early settler, was
a tailor by trade.
--Dr. Baker was the first resident physician
in Pike township.
--Salmon Bosworth, was the first blacksmith
in the township.
--The first framed house was built in 1808,
by Isaac Seymour.
--Elisha Keeler, Jr., opened the first store
in 1804, in Pike Township.
--The first wool carding machine was constructed
in 1808, by Elisha Keeler.
--LeRaysville was named in honor of Vincent
Leray, a French land proprietor of Bradford county.
--Elisha Keeler, who died in 1794, was the
first death in the township of Pike.
--The first school house was erected in 1805.
Patty Sill was the first teacher.
--The Indian path from Susquehanna to Chenango,
at Binghamton, went through the township of Pike.
--James Rockwell built the first brick manufactory
in Pike, in Northern Pennsylvania, in the year 1795.
--Newton, in Pike township, was so named by
Seth P. Rockwell, when he first located in the township.
--The Welsh settlement, in Pike township,
is one of the most thrifty communities in the farming country of Bradford
--LeRaysville Lodge, No. 471, a. Y. M., was
instituted March 2, 1870, W. S. Heaton, W. M.; S. W. Little, S. W.;
William B. Stevens, J. W.
--Lerays Lodge, I. O. O. F., No. 416, was
instituted October 31, 1850. Re-organized, June 9, 1875 Dr. C. S.
Dusenberry, N. G.; Stephen Gorham, V. G.; L. P. Blackman, Sec.; John Baldwin,
--Elisha Keeler, Sr., Capt. Isaac Bronson,
Ephraim Fairchild, Daniel Bennett, Benjamin Bennett, James Bennett,
Joseph Ross, Henry Ellsworth, and Nathan Abbott, were early settlers in
Pike Township, and revolutionary soldiers.
--Bradford Grange, No. 39, was organized in
1873, by S. W. Buck. Its first officers were: S. W. Buck Master;
G. N. Dewolf, Secretary. The Grange was the first in Bradford county.
S. W. Buck, of LeRaysville, was the first District Deputy Grange master
in the county of Bradford, and did much towards etablishing granges
and interesting the farmers of the County in its behalf. He now holds
a position in the office of the Secretary of Internal Affairs, at Harrisburg.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June