Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo of fish taken by Joyce M. Tice June 26, 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
SOUTH CREEK TOWNSHIP
South Creek township was formed in 1835,
taken from Wells and Ridgeberry. The Northern Central Railway runs
through the township from south to north, having two stations, State Line
and Gilletts. The township is uneven and hilly, but quite well adapted
to grazing. The principal stream in the township is South Creek,
which runs in a northernly direction, and discharges its waters into the
Chemung river. The township is bounded on the north by Chemung county
and the state line, on the east by Ridgeberry, on the south by Springfield
and Columbia, on the west by Wells.
Its early settlers were Philo Fassett,
Asa Gillett, John Morrison, Gideon Andrus, Isaac Baker, Samuel Pettengill,
Ezekiel Baker, Hosea Baker, Jesse Moore, George Durnham, N. Y. Glines,
Harvey Jones, Elisha Moore, Benjamin Seeley, Solomon Bovier, Hiram Potter,
Aaron Stiles, Stephen Stiles, Eben Dunning, Jackeus Thompson.
--Harvey Jones opened a hotel in the
township, in 1829.
--The first settlers were Jesse Moore
and Ezekiel Baker, in 1804.
--Baptist church at Gilletts, in South
Creek township, erected in August 1858. Second church erected
--Hon. John F. Gillett, of South Creek
township, was a representative in the Pennsylvania State Legislature, in
the year 1877-78.
--The Elmira and Williamsport railroad
was completed through the township in 1854. It is now controlled
by the Northern Central Railroad.
--The Elmira and Williamsport Stage
route passed through the township with a regular line of coaches.
After the construction of the railroad in 1854, these stages were discontinued.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June