Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
1908 Postcard of Springfield
contributed by Creig Crippen
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
The town of Springfield was formed in 1813,
taken from Smithfield. The town was named by the first settlers in
honor of Springfield, Massachusetts. The town is bounded on the north
by South Creek and Ridgeberry, on the east by Smithfield, on the south
by West Burlington and Troy, and on the west by Columbia. Leona,
Springfield and Mill City are villages in the township. The soil
is well adapted to grazing and the dairy. The chief pursuit of the
inhabitants is farming, and the beautiful fields and well managed farms
denote the prosperity of its citizens.
The early settlers were: Capt. John Harkness,
Ezekiel Leonard, John Leonard, William Eaton, Abel Eaton, William Harkness,
Ichabod Smith, Josephus Wing, James Mattocks, Luke Pitts, Joshua Speer,
Stephen Bliss, Oliver Gates, Henry Stever, Amaziah Thayer, Joseph Grover,
Gurdon Grover, James Harkness, Joseph Grace, Nehemiah Wilson, Abiel Fuller,
Isaac Cooley, Gaines Adams, Samuel Kingsbury, Thomas Pemberton, Samuel
Campbell, William Brace, John Parkhurst, David Brown, Charles Phillips,
Lemuel White, William Evans, Elam Bennett, Quartius Ely, Amos Sargent,
John Sargent, Elisha Fanning, Alexander Kennedy, Charles Burgess, Joseph
Brooks, Wakeman Brooks, William Faulkner, Austin Leonard, Charles Satterlee,
Hosea Kennedy, John Salsbury, Seth Salsbury.
--Springfield was originally known as
--John Harkness was the first permanent
settler, March 1, 1804.
--The village of Leona, was formerly
known as “Leonards Hollow.”
--Hannah Morey died in 1809, the first
death in Springfield township.
--Samuel Campbell erected a distillery
in 1810, in Springfield township.
--William Nevins taught the first school
in the township, in the year 1808.
--John Harkness erected the first framed
dwelling, in 1805, in Springfield township.
--Austin Leonard erected the first saw
mill in the town of Springfield, in the year 1808.
--Prof. J. C. Doane, of the Mansfield
State Normal School, is a native of Springfield.
--Mt. Pisgah, is in the town of Springfield,
is one of the highest points in Bradford county.
--Luke Pitts erected a grist mill, in
1813. The first grist mill in the township of Springfield.
--Hiram Harkness was born, April 20,
1805, the first white child born in Springfield township.
--Abel Leonard and Abigal Leonard, were
the first couple married in Springfield township.
--James Mattocks, an early settler,
received his commission as captain from Governor McKean, August 3,
1807. He was the first Justice of the Peace, and received his commission
from Governor Snyder, February 9, 1810.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June