Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Warren township was formed in 1813, taken from
Orwell and Rush. It is situated in the northeastern portion of Bradford
county, and is bounded on the north by the state of New York, on the east
by Susquehanna county, on the south by the township of Pike, on the west
by Orwell and Windham. The surface is uneven and broken, but the
lands are quite well adapted to grazing and the dairy. The Wappasenning
creek and its tributaries are the principal streams in the township.
The early settlers were: James Bowen,
William Arnold, William Harding, Thomas Gibson, Ebenezer Coburn, Jonathan
Coburn, Clement Corbin, Seneca Allen, Ebenezer Lee, Roswell Lee, henry
Billings, Parley Coburn, Azariah Spalding, Arnold Armstrong, Jeremiah Dewing,
Luther Buffington, Livingston Jenks, Capt. Leonard Case, Nathan Young,
Richard Merrill, Thomas Corbin, Jacob Burbank, Samuel Griswold, Hezekiah
Billings, Oliver Cooper, Abel Prince, Joseph Prince, George Pendleton,
Robert Lee, Alfred Allen, Charles Sutton, Robert Sutton, Isaac VanBrunt,
Samuel Mason, Lewis Barton, Samuel F. Mapes, John Pendleton, Preserve Buffington,
--Warren was originally known as “Martell.”
--Noah Bowen built the first grist mill, in
--The first school was taught by Robert Lee,
--Theda Corbin, was the first death in the
--William Arnold froze to death, in the winter
--The first church erected, was by the Presbyterians,
--Livingston Jenks, opened the first store
in Warren, in 1810.
--Rev. Salmon King, was the first Presbyterian
minister, in Warren.
--An epidemic prevailed in Warren, in 1814.
A number of deaths occurred.
--There was a beaver’s dam on the Wappasenning,
when the first settlers came to Warren.
--Amos Coburn built the first framed house,
and at its completion, had a “house warming,” in 1814.
--Warren was named in honor of General Joseph
Warren, who was killed at the battle of Bunker Hill.
--Capt. George Pendleton, an early settler
of Warren, was captain of a war sloop, in the war of 1812.
--In 1804, there were only fourteen taxables
in the township. There are now 329, with about 1,400 inhabitants.
--James Bowen, William Arnold, William Harding,
Thomas Gibson, settled in Warren, simultaneously, in 1798.
--There are four postoffices in the township,
viz: South Warren, Warren Center, Warrenham and West Warren.
--Benedict Arnold, son of William and Elizabeth
Arnold, was born in the year 1800, was the first white child born
in Warren township. Claim is made that Harry Bowen, son of James
Bowen was born a few days earlier than Benedict Arnold.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June