Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
The township of Wilmot was formed in 1859,
and named in honor of Hon. David Wilmot, a distinguished lawyer, member
of congress, and author of the famous “Wilmot proviso.” It is bounded
on the north by the Susquehanna river and Terry township, on the east by
Wyoming county, on the south by Sullivan county, on the west by Albany
township. It is a very rich and productive township, and embraces
a large quantity of alluvial lands, with very desirable table lands.
Its early settlers were Thomas Keeney, Richard
Keeney, Joshua Keeney, James Anderson, James Quick, Phillip Painter, Phillip
Wycks, Leonard Lott, Christopher Schoonover, Joseph Schoonover, Solomon
Schoonover, Nathan Beeman, Timothy Beeman, Judson Beeman, John Brown, Deidrick
Vanpoel, Webster Seymour, Silas F. Andrus, William Brindle, John McCoy,
Joseph Preston, James Ellsworth, Joseph Ingham, Ephraim Barnes, Eliphalet
Marsh, Simon Marsh, Ebenezer Horton, Gideon Baldwin, Jr., Abram Rosekrans,
Samuel Gordon, John Gamble, John Kennedy, John Morrow, James Morrow, James
Gamble, William Nesbit, Stephen Preston, Ignatius Wilson, Allen Wilson,
Edward Winslow, Nathaniel Nesbit, Robert Stranger, Simeon Rockwell.
--Simeon Rockwell was the first school teacher.
--Edward Stranger was the first who died in
--Thomas Keeney was the first white settler
in Wilmot in 1786.
--The snow in the month of April 1807, fell
five feet deep.
--There are three post offices in the township,
Sugar Run, Elwell and Wilmot.
--Silas F. Andrus built the first grist mill
and saw mill, in 1793.
--Elwell village was named in honor of Judge
William Elwell, a former distinguished member of the Bradford county bar,
but now president judge of Columbia county, Pa.
--The Elwells’, Morrows’, Gambles’ and Inghams’
were prominent and distinguished families in Wilmot township, who have
made their mark in the history of the county.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June