Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
1885 Seven Counties History
- Bradford County PA
Photo by Joyce M. Tice June 1999
“HISTORY OF SEVEN COUNTIES presented by the Elmira Weekly
Gazette". It is an “Outline History of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS,
VILLAGES, BORO’S AND CITIES.” Written expressly for the Gazette Company,
Elmira, N. Y. Copyright 1885.From AN OUTLINE HISTORY
of Tioga and Bradford
Counties in Pennsylvania, Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES"
Windham township was formed in 1813.
It is bounded on the north by Tioga county, New York, on the east by the
township of Warren, on the south by Orwell and Rome, and west by Litchfield.
The principal streams in the township are the Wysox creek, which flows
in a southwest direction and discharges its waters in the Susquehanna river,
at Wysox, in Bradford county, and the Wappasenning, which flows in a northwest
direction and discharges its waters in the east branch of the Susquehanna,
in Tioga county, New York. The surface of the township is broken
and uneven, but generally well adapted to grazing and the dairy.
Some very fine farms are to be found in the township. There are four
postoffices in the township, and several small villages.
The early settlers were: Philo Brainard,
Darius Brainard, Jeptha Brainard, Henry Brainard, Jeptha Brainard, Jr.,
Daniel Doane, Seth Doane, Joseph Doane, Stephen Smith, Joseph Webster,
Gerald Smith, Rensselaer Moon, Jonah Fox, Thomas Fox, Russell Fox, Rev.
David Short, Reuben Short, Lyman Winchester, Nathan Spalding, Augustus
Hughling, Jonathan Pease, Edmund Russell, Parley Johnson, Amos Verbeck,
Benjamin Shoemaker, Caleb Wright, James Mapes.
--Stephen Smith, was the first settler in
--Benjamin Shoemaker, kept the first hotel,
--There were only two horses in the township,
--Philo Brainard, settled in Windham, in the
--Caleb Wright, erected a grist mill, on the
Wappesenning, in 1812.
--Porley Johnson, was the first blacksmith
in the township, in 1809.
--Darius Brainard, built the first framed
house in Windham, in 1808.
--Jeptha Brainard, an early settler, was a
soldier in the revolutionary war.
--Philo Brainard, built the fist saw mill,
in 1802, in Windham township.
You are the visitor
to the Tri-County Online Library since the counter was installed on June