Postmasters in Elkland
From the records at Washington we find the dates of the appointment of postmaster in our town. Mr. John Ryon, the first postmaster was appointed in July 1821. He held office until February 1830 when Marinus Stull succeeded him, who held office only a short time when Joel Parkhurst became postmaster March 1830 to March 1839; he was again appointed in June 1841 to 1845, a third term was May 1855 to 1856 and again he served from April 1861 to March 1875.
George L. Ryon held the office March 1839 to 1841. From June 1845 to February 1846 Henry Sherwood was postmaster. Thomas Allen succeeded him and was in turn succeeded by John C. Whitaker in June 1849. He held office until January 1851 when John Parkhurst became postmaster. Two years later I May 1853 Thomas L. Lake became postmaster. In August 1856 Timothy Coates held the office until April 1858 when Washington Richard was appointed, John Parkhurst served again from December 1858 to January 1859 when George Dorrance became postmaster.
Frank Loveland was appointed March 1875 for six years and again November 1882 until 1886. Mr. Eugene Webb was first appointed in March 1881 to November 1882 and again in 1889 to March 1894.
John S. Ryon received his appointment July 1886 and held office until June 1889. Robert McCann took the office 1894, succeeded by Col. Wood who was postmaster for four years. Following Col Robert T. Wood was Clark Bailey, a postmaster from 1901 to 1911. The next one to hold the office was Jud Buckbee from 1911 to 1915. He was succeeded by Joseph Smith holding office until Mr. Thomas C. Wood took over 1923 to 1931. Dr. A. B. Carey was appointed 1931 and served until 1935. Mrs. Emma Smith held office from 1935 to 1945, Genevieve Allen was acting postmaster from June 1945 to March 30, 1946 when her husband, John Allen, took over the office. The picture of the twenty-third postmaster, Col. Robert Wood, was taken a short time before his death in 1905. Early post offices were in the business place of the postmasters.
The building where the post office is now located was built by Mr. Eugene Webb 1886 on a lot next to his home built 1881. The house is now the residence of John Pattison. The store building was moved 1891 to its present location and second story added, corner of Main and Parkhurst. Mr. Webb enlarged his stock of merchandise from groceries to a variety of goods for a department store. He moved from Elkland 1894 and 1905 he sold the building to Frank Cornelius who sold to Elkland Leather Company. The interior was remodeled and enlarged by owners in 1929. Now there are 506 boxes.
In the year 1856 the receipts of the post office for the months of January, February and March were $30.87. In the year 1950, the receipts for the same three months amounted to $56,054.45.
The first rural route out of Elkland was started in April 1904. Today there is one rural delivery with Francis Murray as carrier.
Postmasters of Elkland Post Office from 1821 to 1975:
|John Ryon||July 4, 1821|
|Marinas Stull||February 25, 1830|
|Joel Parkhurst||March 17, 1830|
|George L. Ryon||March 2, 1839|
|Joel Parkhurst||June 30, 1841|
|Henry Sherwood||June 7, 1845|
|Thomas Allen||February 21, 1846|
|John Whittaker||June 30, 1849|
|John Parkhurst||January 9, 1851|
|Thomas J. Lake||May 30, 1853|
|Joel G. Parkhurst||May 18, 1855|
|Timothy Coates||August 16, 1856|
|Washington Richards||April 13, 1858|
|John Parkhurst||December 28, 1858|
|George Dorrance||January 8, 1859|
|Joel G. Parkhurst||April 19, 1861|
|Frank G. Loveland||March 11, 1875|
|Eugene G. Webb||March 2, 1881|
|Frank G. Loveland||November 29, 1882|
|John S. Ryon||July 22, 1886|
|Eugene G. Webb||June 14, 1889|
|Robert McCann||May 28, 1894|
|Col. R. T. Wood||1898|
|Thomas C. Wood||1923|
|Dr. A. B. Carey||1931|
|Emma Ryon Smith||1935|
|Genevieve W. Allen||1945|
|John W. Allen||April 1, 1949 to June 28, 1974|
|Howard Foster||June 29, 1974 till present|
|[3 Illustrations: Three different Post Offices: 1891, 1950, 1975.]|
[2 Illustrations: Signor Hotel and Restaurant.]
Hotels of Elkland
The first hotel in Elkland was operated by Leander Culver, a grandfather of Miss Virginia Wood. It was built on land lying between the houses now occupied by Clark Prindle and Leroy Hoaglin. When this building was erected and how long it was in use, we do not know, but it was torn down later to make way for the Leroy Hoaglin house which was originally built for Col. R. T. Wood.
The second Culver Hotel was located on the opposite side of Main Street. Again the date of construction could not be ascertained, but the building, since divided into two parts, is still standing. The eastern section, now occupied by Mrs. Gee as a dwelling, comprised the office and sitting room of the hotel. The long dining room was moved to the next lot where it forms the house now occupied by Joseph Carbone. The hotel kitchen has been demolished.
The last and largest of the Culver Hotels, known to us as the Schultz Garage and Apartments, was begun in 1848. This date is partly visible on the southwestern corner. In those days the third floor was a ball room and one of the first affairs to occur there was the wedding of Mary Ett, eldest child of Leander and Dollie (Bottom) Culver, and Robert Thomas Wood. During the Civil War period Leander Culver retired from the hotel business and spent his remaining days on the farm below town where Charles Cashdollar now lives.
The hotel was later owned by a number of persons, including Robert Traver, T. D. Case, Louis Fenton, Joseph Smith, William Zwelling and Adelbert E. Allen. Mr. Allen was the last to operate the place as a hotel from the date of purchase in 1913 until 1935 when his widow sold the property to Carlson for a garage.
Just one hundred years ago, a Massachusetts shoemaker revolutionized the shoe industry by inventing a machine for sewing leather shoes, replacing the traditional nail and wooden peg method.
For some time previous to 1836, a man named Smith kept a wayside inn on the site of the old Case Hotel. Later he sold to Leander Culver who tore down the old home and became the first hotel keeper in the village. In 1849 he built the old Elkland House, locally known as the "lower hotel" when the community was in its infancy. His daughter, who married Col. Robert Wood, postponed her wedding for three weeks until the hotel was finished so that she could be married there. It served as Elkland’s first regular hotel and more than a score of proprietors played host to traveling people and a growing town before the building became Elkland’s outstanding landmark. Some of the landlords to follow Mr. Culver and become and integral part of the building’s romantic history were: Charles Ryon, Life Blackman, David Dunbar, John E. Westlake, A. J. Tillman, Peter Duvail, Fred Bunnell, "Sandy" Simpson, A. D. Graves, W. R. Cole, T. D. Case and A. E. Allen.
In September 1894, after T. D. Case’s death, the property was purchased by Mrs. Mary Sandback of Wellsboro, who placed her son Richard E. Sandback in charge as manager. The hotel’s name was changed to the Sandback House. It was well conducted and very popular.
In 1935 John Carlson purchased the property from Mrs. A. E. Allen and remodeled the three story department and offices for Carlson Sales and Service The west wing was removed from the building and in its place Mr. Carlson built a one story tile structure to house the maintenance and overhaul department. This renovation provided facilities for the sales and service of Ford-Mercury and Lincoln products as required by the franchise with the Ford Motor Company signed in 1936.
In 1946 the show room, parts department and office were remodeled by Mr. Schultz to fill the needs of an expanding business. Where once the elite of the village danced, new cars were now on display on the former ballroom floor. Modern offices have been built where once the "brass rail" crowd held forth.
In 1947 a Quonset building was erected where once
stood a portion of the hotel stables. The building provides 1600 square
feet of floor space for a modern collision service and used car reconditioning
[6 Illustrations: Signor Hotel – On the night of
January 18, 1976, during 20-below zero weather, the Signor Hotel burned.
It was one of the last old buildings in Elkland.]
See More Hotel Signor Photos on Tri-Counties Site
Back Row, left to right – B. Runyan, J. Hammond, J. Esgro, N. Sereno, W. Hammond, S. Dmytrow, F. Sereno, H. Fuller, J. Outman, R. Runyan. Center – C. Piecuch, K. Stevens, O. Preston, W. Searl, M. Holmes, E. Smith, K. Moore, S. Horton, M. Daley, G. Smith, C. Heitzenrater, E. Milinski,E. Booth, (Hon.). Front – T. Kenyon, (Hon.), F. Ferry, R. Loundsbury, H. Dorn, J. Kizer, J. Allen, F. Sereno, L. Perry, H. Dean, H. Horton, L. Sheen, (Hon.).
Firemen Not In Picture:
O. Thompson (Honorary)
[Illustration: Ernest Smith, Chief Since 1935]
[Illustration: Fire Truck, purchased 1925, still giving good service.]
[Illustration: Dr. Marvin O. Holmes, Pres., 1940]
In 1949 the garage acquired an open lot on the south side of Main Street opposite the garages and converted it into a used car display area to accommodate an expanding used car department. The lot, which was once a portion of the lawn surrounding the pretentious Parkhurst Estate, has been paved and attractively lighted.
In 1841 D. B. and J. W. Schoff built a hotel near the Dorrance farm. It burned in 1967. In the same year another hotel was built on its site by Enos D. and Leander Culver. About 1871 it was converted into a dwelling, and since 1880 was owned by C. L. Pattison. The location is near the present residence of Blanch Gee.
The Exchange Hotel was built in 1883, situated on the north side of Main Street.
The Signor House was built about 1880. Robert Traver being the first landlord. In the summer of 1886 George C. Signor bought the property, and in the summer of 1894 rebuilt the hotel, expending $2,000.00 The building was thoroughly remodeled inside and out, and was then one of the best hotels in the country. Mr. Signor was a popular landlord and commanded a large share of the traveling patronage. He was very much interested in bicycle races and other sports of the day.
It was later purchased by Burt, Reesee and a William Ruth. In September 10, 1910 John F. Behrman, Sr. purchased it from Mr. Ruth.
The Arlington Hotel was opened in July 1891 near the Fall Brook Railroad depot by Robert Traver as landlord. It was destroyed by fire December 17, 1893, being owned and occupied at the time by J. G. Parks. It was never rebuilt. It stood on the site of the present Davenport’s Garage.
The Penn Elk Hotel was built in 1932 by Nick Georgeston of Port Allehany. It had the first modern soda fountain and sandwich shop in Elkland and went under the name of Georgston Bros., who made their own ice cream for themselves and wholesale. In a few years Mr. Georgeston added an upstairs for hotel accommodations, remodeled the downstairs and started serving regular meals. At that time the name was changed to "The Penn Elk". Mr. Georgeston sold the business to Peter Lascaris of Syracuse on August 1, 1944. Mr. Lascaris had been an employee for a number of years. It is now owned by Pete.
Up until the early 1830’s there was no tavern in Elkland. Sometime before 1836 Merritt Smith, a carpenter by trade, remodeled his home partially so he could accommodate travelers for the night. He was one of the few carpenters in town, and after selling his hotel to Culver, was very busy at his trade.
Anson Blackman had a gunshop in the early 1820’s. As he was the only gunsmith for miles around, customers came to him from New York State to have Blackman repair their guns.
Richard K. Skinner, a popular merchant in town in the 1860’s, made a rule that no one received credit in his store. On one occasion, a needy man asked for credit for a sack of flour, Mr. Skinner said "no" but he would give him enough money to buy one. He did and the customer crossed the road to the Parkhurst store to purchase the sack of flour.
Somewhere along the State road David Foote had the
first Blacksmith Shop in the 1820’s.
Elkland Volunteer Fire Company
With a population of little less than 300 people, Elkland became an incorporated Borough and elected their first officials in May 1950. Records are lacking, but it is evident that some form of organized fire fighting must have been used, and in June 1892, the town bought its first "hose engine". It was kept near the river with a well maintained clearing for its use at the river side.
In 1897, special permission was given for the local lamplighter and policeman to ride their bicycles on the sidewalk during a fire. Today there are two large pumpers No. 31 and No. 32 and a 2100 gallon capacity tanker No. 35 that have the right of way on all streets and highways enroute to fires or during other forms of emergency.
Elkland’s Volunteer Fire Company was the same as any small community group … going on from year to year … holding monthly meetings, having an occasional fund raising project and appearing at other company activities until 1964, when they began to explore all possibilities and methods to build a new fire hall … that was their "dream". It became a reality, and on June 22, 1969, Judge Charles G. Webb dedicated the new $80,000 fire hall … built on the former Parkhurst Street school grounds.
Preceding the week long activities, hundreds of people helped the firemen to ready the building for dedication; prepare the foods for the banquet … teens, church groups, and other organizations did everything to make Elkland sparkle as a welcome to our town.
On the green near the new hall at noontime on Sunday … the Elkland High School Band under Waldo Seamans, was in concert as the crowd gathered for the opening service. The American Legion Post No. 428 by Congressman Joseph McDade who had the flag flown over the Capitol earlier that week. More than 200 were served at the Dedication Banquet served by teens who acted as waitresses.
Keynotes from Judge Webb’s speech: "It is no secret that Elkland is not a wealthy town, but a good town." This is the spirit that built America, the spirit that made America great and the spirit that will deep America great. I take my hat off to the firemen and congratulate them from the bottom of my heart. The needs for a new fire hall was obvious. The firemen did not sit around, moan or complain. Neither did they attempt to put an additional burden on the already overburdened taxpayers. They proceeded to raise the money by sweat, hard work and courage."
All events o the week met with exceptional success! A Baby Day Parade and contests on Monday; Old Tymers Day with prizes and refreshments on Tuesday; Wednesday was for the kids; with bike races, pet parade and prizes; Thursday was set aside for all clubs, organizations and merchants. Friday was for the teen agers with a Battle of Bands that started playing at 1:00 p.m. and dancing finished at midnight. Parts of this day was televised locally on channel 11. The final day was Hobo Day … hose contests, chicken bar-b-que and fireworks at midnight.
Less than a month later, the Borough Council let it be known that Elkland needed a new municipal building to be used for court quarters and the area justice, council chambers, and offices for borough secretary, borough manager and planner and the police department. Again the Fire Company agreed to build the addition at no cost to the town, but agreed that the rental should help pay for the building. The Borough Government held its first Borough Council meeting in the new quarters the first week of January 1970.
Down through the years, various forms of alarms have been tried and used to alert the firemen to quick action. An iron rim and hammer got little response. In 1909 an iron bell was bought for $77.50. This served its purpose until the first real siren was placed in 1925. These were the steps toward the alert system used today. When a fire is reported by phone … ten individual phones ring in the homes of Elkland firemen plus an immediate radio contact is made with a dozen more who have receivers and scanners. Once the call is on the air, it serves as an alert to all Tioga County fire companies and the surrounding area. This alarm was the main factor that saved hundreds of homes when the Elkland Leather Company was destroyed by fire on June 23, 1973. It is note worthy to tell that at least 300 firemen battled the blaze with 20 pumpers, 20 lines, 15 tankers and 40 boosters. Two rescue units and three ambulances stood by at the scene while countless others manned the radios, worked traffic control and gave other assistance. Not one life was lot nor a single serious injury reported.
The Elkland Volunteer Fire Co. worked continually with tendless fund raising projects to up grade their fire fighting equipment, and are interested at the present time with a new Tioga County communications system which will soon be completed at Wellsboro. It will be staffed around the clock and should insure better protection to all.
Officers for 1976
|Chief||Michael T. Whitehill|
|1st Assistant Chief||Lawrence Calvario|
|2nd Assistant Chief||Earl Shaw|
|Captain, Engine 31||Jonas Van Orsdale|
|Lieutenant, Engine 31||John Dorrance|
|Captain, Engine 32||Oscar Oberther III|
|Lieutenant, Engine 32||William Nunn|
|Captain, Tanker 35||Paul King|
|Lieutenant, Tanker 35||Richard Samuelson|
|Vice President||Franklin Hall|
|Secretary||Ola J. VanDusen|
Ernest Smith, Jr.
Ola J. VanDusen
Members Paid to March 31, 1976
|Joseph Belletto, 503 N. Buffalo St.||258-7422|
|Louis P. Belletto, 503, N. Buffalo St.||258-7422|
|Kenneth Bennett, Pattison Extension|
|Kenneth W. Burfield, 105 Coates St.||258-7424|
|Lawrence Calvario, 226 West Main St.||258-5200|
|John T. Carl|
|Ray Crawford, 111 Buffalo St.||258-5159|
|Paul Davenport, 201 Main St.||258-9919|
|John A. Dorrance|
|Walter H. Fuhrer, Sr., 103 Wag Ave.||258-7240|
|Albert Hall, 107 Coates St.||258-7432|
|Franklin Hall, 102 North St.||258-7520|
|James Hall, Condensery Lane||258-7457|
|Velada B. Hall, 102 North St.||258-7520|
|Wallace C. Howard, Baker Ave.||258-5290|
|Paul King, 112 First St.||258-7150|
|Lester Lehman, 214 River St.||258-5341|
|Howard E. McLean, 511 E. Main St.||258-5304|
|James D. McLean, Osceola||258-7225|
|Edward A. Milinski, 110 Close Ave.||258-5445|
|Fred Morgan, Jr., 231 W. Main St.||258-7144|
|Albert Myers, 213 Taft Ave.||258-7534|
|Judy Nunn, 306 Parkhurst St.||258-7490|
|William Nunn, 206 Parkhurst St.||258-7490|
|Oscar Oberther, Jr., 122 Parkhurst St.||258-7515|
|Oscar Oberther III, 114 Parkhurst St.|
|Polly Oberther, 114 Parkhurst St.|
|Waneda Oberther, 122 Parkhurst St.||258-7515|
|Harold A. Owlett, Thornbottom, Nelson||827-2284|
|John Noreika, R. D. Osceola|
|James Padgett, 107 Parkhurst St.|
|Ronald F. Putnam|
|Keith E. Potter, 118 Parkhurst St.||258-7472|
|Bernard Runyan, 610 Main St.||258-5351|
|Richard C. Samuelson, 103 S. Buffalo St.||258-7684|
|Earl Shaw, 137 Coolidge Ave.||258-7164|
|Charles F. Smith, Condesery Lane||258-5416|
|Ernest F. Smith, Jr., 221 Second St.||258-7446|
|Diane C. Smithers, Pattison Avenue||258-7680|
|Norman Smithers, Pattison Avnue||258-7680|
|Asa Sumner, Nelson||827-2771|
|Ola J. VanDusen, Box 228, Osceola||258-7102|
|Jonas VanOrsdale, West Main St.|
|Rosaleta K. VanOrsdale, West Main St.|
|Kenneth D. VanSchaick, 407 Buffalo St.||258-7417|
|Michael T. Whitehill, 626 W. Main St.|
|Kenneth E. Young, 103 First St.||258-7269|
|Fred Cerchie, 114 Sheldon Ave||1/26/76||258-7454|
|Larry Dibble, 302 Parkhurst St.||1/26/76|
|Michael Duell, R. D. Osceola||12/29/76|
|Wilfred Perry, Jr., Buffalo St.||1/26/76|
|Dennis Schoonover, W. Main St.||9/29/75||258-5277|
|Lyle Smith, 102 Parellel Rd.||1/26/76|
|Max Thompson, 114 Parkhurst St.||1/26/76||258-5335|
Elkland Fire Department
Although the Borough of Elkland was incorporated in 1845 it is impossible at this time to trace the fire department history back beyond 1892. The first mention of anything of a fire company order was June 15, 1892, when it was decided to bring a hose engine to Elkland for trial. If it was liked it would be purchased, if not, the sum of twenty-five dollars would be paid for its use during the trial period. Evidently this type of engine was satisfactory, for shortly after, a steamer was purchased from the village of Bath, New York for $1,099.00. In the fall of this year, November 22nd, 600 feet of hose was purchased from the Gutto Percha Rubber Mfg. Co.
The next mention is dated October 24, 1893, where repairs to a hose cart amounted to $3.04, so there very evidently had been a hose company here for some time. Uniforms formerly used by the band, were purchased by the council, at a cost of $100.00. Each man had to pay a deposit of three dollars on his uniform.
On March 12, 1895, it was decided to rent rooms in the Parkhurst hall, to be used for both Council and Fire rooms. A. B. Kenyon, Fire Chief, was directed, October 15, 1895, to hire a team of horses to take out the steamer and test all wells with it. July 12, 1896, the Rink property was purchased from the Orval Pattterson Estate, to be used as a site for a proposed Borough Building. That these plans followed through is very evident, for our Borough building still stood in the year 0000. A. B. Kenyon is appointed to again secure a team to take out the steamer and soak the packing once a month. This was found under September 9, 1897 date. This same year permission was given the lamplighter and policemen to ride their bicycles on the sidewalk – an act otherwise strictly prohibited – while on duty or in case of fire.
In January 1901 arrangements were made to procure the Signor team of horses to draw the steamer to and from the fires for five dollars a trip. Later that summer, directions were given to have the place for setting the fire engine at the river and put in shape.
August 1, 1902, the site now used for our reservoir was donated by Anna S. Pattison, contract to build the reservoir was given to a James Grey, springs obtained, and pipe lines laid from them to the reservoir. It was decided, February 1903, to move the oil house to a convenient place to house a Hose and Cart which the council intended to purchase. In July of this year, a petition to form Citizens Hose Co. No. 2 was put before the council. This was granted, provided it would not interfere with the Citizen’s Steamer & Hose Co. No. 1. A fire gong was bought for Hose and Card No. 1 and a new hose care was purchased from Rumsey & Co. for the sum of $87.00.
There was evidently a great deal of dissension between the two companies at this time, mainly over which should have the new hose cart, and a petition put before the borough council for permission to form a new hose company to be known as the Harmony Hose and Ladder C. This may have been in the nature of a joke, for no mention is again made of this company. Feelings finally became so great, that the council used First Street as a dividing line for the town, the north side for Hose Co. No. 1 and the south side for Hose Co. No. 2 and decided that the new hose cart should be placed in the hose house of No. 1 company, which was located near the New York Central Depot.
January 10, 1905, A. B. Kenyon is designated Fire Chief by the council. Mr. Kenyon had evidently been fire chief for years before this, but this is the first mention found of a definite appointment. In March of this year, the fire engine was moved to the now completed Borough Building. In 1908 a hose tower was erected 55 feet high and a cart built to transport ladders to the scene of the fire.
During the past few years there has been a lack of proper measure or alarm to call in case of fire, and January 12th, 1909, a committee composed of L. D. Jacobs and R. H. Hammond, of the C. L. Pattison Hose Co., with John Slade and Lawrence Mocumber of the Citizens Hose Company, met with council, requesting that something be done in regard to providing a suitable fire alarm. The council authorized the companies to make a test of a tire, evidently a large rim of iron, purchased some time previously by having a piece cut out, and if it were then satisfactory to hang in front of the building. Apparently this did not work, for in March there was ordered a 40 inch fire bell costing, $77.50, same to be returned in 30 days if it was not satisfactory. It must have suited, for it still hangs in its place atop of the borough building.
In July of this year, it was decided to build a 12 x 14 foot building, of tile left from the borough building job, on land given by Proctor-Ellison & Co. for a hose building. There was apparently not much of interest to be noted again until February 13, 1923, when a new hose tower was purchased for $135. In November 1923, the council voted to pay any and all fire department bills within reason, also to pay for necessary equipment.
January 1, 1925, Dr. Arthur Carey, then burgess, was instructed to meet with the America La France people, have a fire truck with chemical tank here with demonstration, and was given authority to purchase it, provided it was suitable. It was bought at that time and is still in use. The firemen of Elkland Borough, are endeavoring to secure a new and more modern fire truck.
[Illustration: Pictured left to right: Larry Calvario, Dick Samuelson, Ken Bennett, Denny Perry, Larry Dibble, Inky Smith, Wally Howard, Earl Shaw, Ola Van Dusen, Bill Van Schaick, Lyle Smith, Paul King, Fred Cerchie, Mike Duell, Joe Belletto, Louie Belletto, Eddie Milinski, Ken Young, and Mike Whitehill. Front row: Lester Lehman, Franklin Hall, Velada Hall, Jonas Van Orsdale, Roseeletta Van Orsdale, Bud Oberther, Red Oberther, Waneda Oberther, Judy Nunn, Bill Nunn, John Dorrance and Brick Hall.]
[2 Illustrations: Courtesy of Ray and Sandy Crawford
- Elkland Fire Company on Main Street.]
Leon O’Bryan Post 428, American Legion
The following Comrades have served as Post Adjutants:
|Joseph J. Kyofski||
|Edward T. Johnson||
|Glenn H. Carpenter||
|Al W. Button||
|Edward W. Lyon||
|Kenneth R. Elliott||
October 5, 1959 – At a regular meeting, the Post assisted Glenn Horton, Director of Veterans Affairs for Tioga County, in helping local and area Korean Veterans to make out their applications for the Pennsylvania Korean Conflict Service Bonus.
April 1974 – Donald Smith, present Director of Veterans Affairs for Tioga County.
July 27, 1968 – A testimonial dinner honoring Past Post commander Rev. Edward P. Nolan, National Chaplain of the American Legion was held at Elkland Methodist Church. Dinner was sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary and St. Thomas Catholic Church Altar and Rosary Society.
June 28, 1970 – Post dedicated an Eternal Flame honoring veterans of all wars in front of the Borough Building. A Firemen’s Bell honoring all deceased firemen was also dedicated.
February 16, 1976 – A dinner meeting to commemorate the 50th year of Leon O’Bryan Post 428 and to present World War I members of the Post a Life Membership. Present were Dallas B. Button, Ernest V. Close, Ralph W. Dempsey, Joseph P. Sereno and Ernest F. Smith, Sr. Absent were Lewis D. Allen, Enoch A. Blackwell, Albert J. Gee and Frank Molex. Guest at the dinner – Charter Member Daniel F. Buckbee.
The following Comrades have served as Post Commanders:
|George H. Smith||
|Lewis D. Bryan||
|Ernest F. Smith, Sr.||
|Joseph J. Kyofski||
|Arthur B. Carey||
|L. A. Wynkoop||
|Glenn H. Carpenter||
|Enoch A. Blackwell||
|Charles H. Cashdollar, Jr.||
|Anthony J. Zajaczkowski||
|Edward P. Nolan||
|Ralph W. Dempsey||
|Preston K. Odle||
|Edward A. Milinski||
|William J. Roche||
|James R. Kizer||
|Joseph S. Mull||
|Almer L. Cruttenden||
|John W. Allen||
|Charles F. Smith||
|Ernest F. Smith, Jr.||
In the Fall of 1974 the Post acquired twenty-five
surplus Army green uniforms for their Color Guard and Firing Squad. These
uniforms were worn for the first time for Memorial Day Services in May
1975. This year the Post will add yellow scarves to the outfit.
Leon O’Bryan Post No. 428
This history of the Leon O’Bryan Post 428 of the American Legion is a history of men, some who gave their lives, others gave their time for the liberty of the community and nation.
The Leon O’Bryan Post was formed in Elkland July 31, 1926 with District Commander L. A. Henderson of Montgomery, Pennsylvania officiating. Charter members were Lewis O’Bryan, Charles Kreisler, Leon Smith, George Hazlett, Carl Stone, Joseph Sereno, Lewis Allen, Glenn Carpenter, Walter Jenkins, Ernest Smith, George Smith, Dallas Button, Harry English, glen Moore, Maynard Tanner, Phillip Schwartz, Joseph Kyofski, Edward Johnson, Charles Owlett, Harvey Baker, Thorne Kenyon, Harry Shearer, Kenneth Wetmore, Giuseppe DeSera, Harry Hill, Arthur Carey, Ralph Dempsey, Elmer Bovee, Wallace Elliott, Rex Hunter, Daniel Buckbee, Arthur Wary, Claude Paul, Samuel Robinson, Paul Forsburg, and Alfred Trickett.
The Legion met at the Borough Building and made this their headquarters until 1946 when they moved to the Legion Club House. The first election of officers was: Commander, George Smith; First Vice-Commander, Ernest Smith; Second Vice-Commander, Glenn Carpenter; Finance Officer, Harry English; Adjutant, Joseph Kyofski; Chaplain, Charles Kreisler; Seargeant-at-Arms, Dallas Button. The Post name came from a native son, Leon O’Bryan, who was killed in World War I.
On February 1, 1927 the Post purchased an American Flag and an American Legion Flag for parades. Since this time the Post has taken charge of the Memorial Day Services in Elkland. The Legion has also participated in the Memorial Day Services in Osceola and Nelson.
In 1928 the American Legion started giving American Citizenship Medals to a deserving boy and girl of the eighth grade graduating class.
Since 1934 the Post has taken charge of the grave records of all veterans in Elkland, Osceola, and Nelson.
1941 brought the United States into another war. The Post organized a Spotters’ Defense Program and also purchased $400 in defense bonds.
By 1945 the Legion was discussing building a place of their own. Membership had increased from forty members to over three hundred.
The Club House was purchased from the Elkland Leather Company in 1946, which also included the use of the ball diamond. At this time the Post incorporated under the name of the American Legion Home Association.
In January 1947 the Teen Age Group was sponsored by the Legion with chaperoned dances for this group in the Club House each week. The money realized from these dances was used to purchase the basketball scoreboard which is now being used in the Ellison Auditorium.
That same year the Post helped to sponsor an iron lung for Tioga County, the Elkland Boy Scout Troop, Junior Baseball, and a drive for Universal Military Training. The Post was also responsible for making up a list of blood type donors.
During 1948 two Boy Scouts were sent to Camp Gorton, the grandstand at the ball diamond was built, the fence being completed in 1949.
Also in 1949 the Post donated to the playground equipment fund for the Elkland, Osceola, and Nelson school grounds, the Explorer Scouts were taken under the sponsorship of the Legion, and thirty-five acres of land were purchased south of the Cowanesque River for the purpose of building the American Legion Home and Community Center.
In 1950 the Legion sponsored the program Toys for
Tots Overseas, with the collection, repairing and packing of 600 toys.
A campaign for a Community Center has been started and bonds are being
issued. As of now, only the steel and windows are in Elkland for the Community
Order of the Eastern Star
Elkland – "Peace, Harmony, and Love" is the theme of this year’s Elkland Eastern Star Chapter with Mrs. Charlene Cass as the new Worthy Matron.
Not only does 1976 mark the Bicentennial of our country, but it also marks the 100th anniversary of the General Grand Chapter of the Eastern Star.
The Elkland Chapter, constituted February 17, 1913 had a membership of forty-four members. It grew to one hundred and eighteen in 1950 and today, the membership has dropped to ninety-six. Out of sixty-three Worthy Matrons, there are forty living Past Matrons. In November 1956, the first Worthy Matron of the Chapter, Mrs. Susan D. Long passed away. The Chapter is still fortunate to have its second Worthy Matron, who is also a charter member, Mrs. Helen Pattison, still active in the chapter and who still resides in Elkland Mrs. Bess Butler of Wellsboro is the only living charter member.
There have been six District Deputy Grand Matrons out of the Elkland Chapter, namely, Mrs. Lottie Fenton (deceased), Mrs. Mary Gilbert (deceased), Mrs. Ada Oberlander, Mrs. Hazel Baker, Mrs. Grace Kirk and Mrs. Virginia Sahrle.
Instrumental in the Civic Work of the Community, the Elkland Chapter sponsored "Girl Scouting" I the year of 1950. The Rev. Harry Gayley, who was initiated and installed, left the Chapter in 1950 and in 1957, a new Worthy Patron, the Rev. John Mays, pastor of the Parkhurst Memorial Presbyterian Church was installed.
Fire destroyed the OES rooms, which were housed over the old Post Office building on Main Street, Sunday, May 25, 1953. The meetings were moved to the Masonic rooms and then returned back to the old Star rooms. In 1955, the Chapter again moved to the Masonic rooms, and then back again. In 1971, the Chapter returned permanently to the Masonic rooms where the meetings have been held since.
A piano light was placed in the chapter in 1969 in memory of Mrs. Florence Elliott, who had been organist of the chapter for over twenty years, and who had passed away that year. In February 18, 1976, the Chapter was saddened by the passing away of the Conductress, Mrs. Mary Sewards, who would have been serving as Associate Matron for 1976-77.
In 1974, Mrs. Inez Smith, who had served the chapter as treasurer for forty-four years, retired, but is still active in the chapter.
"Charity, Truth and Living Kindness" will always
remain as a goal for the Elkland Easter Star Chapter.
Loyal Order of Moose
About the year 1938, a Mr. Seeley, an employee of the Elkland Trading Company, tried to obtain applications enough to petition the Supreme Lodge of the Loyal Order of the Moose, but being unsuccessful the idea was dropped until Edwin Booth, at that time a policeman, acting as Activities Committee Chairman, with the help of a few others, secured the necessary number of applicants and a charter was finally granted and the Lodge instituted on the 20th day of October, 1940.
The first meeting was held in what is now the American Legion Club House, with Edward M. Donley acting as the First Governor and Francis Hill as Secretary.
The Lodge with fifty-two members began to grow. For a while, the old Coates Hardware Building, now destroyed by fire, was used for meetings; then rented of Harry Lewis on Buffalo Street for its club room until the opportunity was had to buy the Parkhurst House on the corner of Main and Buffalo Streets.
At present, the Loyal Order of Moose No. 746 is sponsoring
a softball team as well as a midget baseball team.
Wednesday Afternoon Club
The Wednesday Afternoon Club was organized February 1, 1911. Its first officers were: President, Mrs. O. P. Babcock; Secretary, Mrs. M. F. Cass; and Treasurer, Mrs. W. G. Humphrey. The object of the club was to promote the welfare of the Parkhurst Memorial Presbyterian Church of Elkland, Pennsylvania, and to encourage to the fullest possible degree a spirit of sociability among the members of the congregation. The meetings were held in the members’ homes on the first and third Wednesday afternoon of each month.
It was later found that it would be more convenient
to meet at the church parlors once a month and have a family tureen supper.
The Elkland Shakespeare Club
Forty-six years ago, in 1904, six women met at the home of Mrs. Clarke Bailey. They planned to meet every week and read the plays of the "Bard of Avon". Because they met in their homes, the membership was limited to twenty. For the same reason, this rule has been adhered to throughout the years. The programs, however, have kept pace with the changing times with one exception – just one of Shakespeare’s plats is read every year.
In 1913 they asked for and were lent fifty books from the State library. To these books were added the ones obtained by canvassing the town, also those purchased with the money raised by holding rummage sales and sponsoring baseball games. This was the beginning of our present Public Library.
All the Club members signed the petition for the library charter which was received from the State in 1914. The members also acted as librarian, cleaned floors, mended books, solicited and encouraged the growth of the library in every possible way.
The Shakespeare Club was the first club in Tioga County to be federated. This was in 1907. They are only twenty women affiliated with an organization which has 5,500,000 members in the U.S.A., but it is good to have even a small part in an organization that accomplishes so much.
[Illustration: Ray Coates – Coates House.]
[Illustration: Courtesy of Thurman Pattison – Elkland
Elkland Public Library
Elkland Public Library was founded January 1912 by the Ladies Shakespeare Club. The first books were obtained by soliciting the people of the town to give from their personal libraries or money to purchase one or more books. Funds were raised by holding bake sales, rummage sales, etc. The books were placed in Warren’s Drug Store and put in circulation; the ladies of the club taking turns at the charging desk. A fine was charged for overdues.
On April 4, 1914 an association was organized with the following officers: President, Mrs. Roy Warren; Vice-President, Miss Eleanor Donovan; Secretary, Mrs. Frances Martindell; Treasurer, Miss Gertrude Warren. The remaining sixteen members were to act as directors.
The following Monday afternoon the officers met with a representative from the Council at the Borough Building to talk over and plan getting rooms to move the library into the Borough Building where rent and heat were to be furnished by the town. The small room used now as a reading room was obtained and on February 14 the library was open to the public on Saturday afternoons and evenings. The townspeople were then solicited for annual dues of one dollar which would make them members of the association. A charter was petitioned for March 2. Lawyer Frank Selph gave his service free of charge in securing the charter which was granted June 6, 1914. By January 7, 1915 there were sixty-three members of the association and 650 books. During this time the association took charge of selling tickets for ball games, and a picture film was run each month by L. D. Young for one-half of the proceeds.
By the summer of 1916 it was decided that it would be more satisfactory to secure someone to serve as librarian. The pay was one dollar for the afternoon and evening. From that time until the spring of 1921 the following persons served in that capacity: Miss Margaret Cornelius, Miss Mary Stull, Miss Cora Blood, and Miss Florence Magee.
The number of books had so increased by February 1921 that the large front room adjoining the one then occupied was obtained and some of the books moved there. The librarian’s desk was also moved to that room. The association then decided to open the library three days a week – Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday afternoons and evenings. Miss Florence Magee was appointed librarian.
On May 14, 1923 a meeting held by the association reported that the Council had voted to levy a tax of one mill; thereby assuring the library of a fixed income.
In February 1926 Miss Florence Magee, who was moving to Knoxville, resigned as librarian and Mrs. Leroy Hoaglin was appointed to take her place, but resigned in June as she too was leaving town. Mrs. J. H. Little was then appointed but resigned in August. Miss Ava Weeks, Mrs. Catherine Hazlett, and Mrs. Preston Judd acted as librarians until Mrs. Naomi Northrup was appointed and served until February 1931 when she resigned. Miss Magee returned to Elkland and again accepted the position and served until October 1949 when she resigned and Mrs. George Knapp has taken her place.
The library now has over four thousand books which include history, biography, books of travel, essays, drama, poetry, art and craft books, books on agriculture, illustrated books of birds and flowers, and up to date reference books.
Books of fiction include the best historical novels, stories of romance, adventure and mystery. Children’s books have been selected with care and are the very best. There are beautifully illustrated books to delight and entertain, educational and character building. Many valuable books have been presented to the library and an increasing number are being given in memory of relatives and friends.
The borough is now considering the purchase of the
E. W. Coates home on Main Street as a much more suitable housing for our
growing Public Library.
Organize Labor in Elkland
The CIO which later became The International Fur
and Leather Workers, started organizing the tannery workers here April
1937 and in June of that year a strike took place to try to get The Tannery
Company to deal with the Union. This was a long fight and in October 1940
the A. F. of L. started to organize here, which resulted in a Labor Board
election in April 1941 won by the A. F. of L. by a small majority. This
Union was not certified by the Labor Board until late in the Elkland Leather
company was signed January 1, 1942. In the fall of 1942 the CIO asked the
Labor Board for another election which was won by the A. F. of L. by a
Elkland Lions Club
The Elkland Lions Club was organized in June of 1947 with L. R. Schultz named to head the group. A charter was granted the organization in the fall of 1947, and since its beginning the club has grown to about sixty members.
The major aim of the group is to serve the community
in any way it can. The two most important aspects of this service are the
sight conservation project and the annual Christmas Welfare Fund. The club
has purchased glasses for a great number of children and adults who were
unable to buy their own, and each year has sponsored a Christmas auction,
the proceeds of which have gone to the financing of Christmas gifts for
the children of needy families in Elkland, Nelson, and Osceola.
Elkland Council of Republican Women
The Elkland Council of Republican Women was organized
in October 1947, wit thirty-seven charter members. Mrs. Olga Kyofski was
named president of the newly organized club. Since then the organization
has grown extensively and is active in both town and county Republican
As an affiliate of the National Council and Steuben Area Council, Boy Scouting in Elkland is in its twenty-third successful year for Troop 44 was granted its first charter January 1, 1927.
However, scouting in some form pre-dated 1927 by at least twelve years, for as early as 1915 Mr. Arthur Searl, brother of Hose Company President William Searl, led a troop of Scouts here. In 1921 L. C. Moren headed a scout troop at St. Thomas Parish for a brief period, and in 1923 and 1924 Rev. Max Putney had considerable success with scouting at the Presbyterian Church.
In the Fall of 1926 the Elkland Chamber of commerce moved to give Elkland organized Scouting and formed a troop under the leadership of G. K. Smith and Angelo Rupar. Steuben Area council issued a charter to the Elkland unit in January of the next year.
H. Wood became Scout Master in that year, and for a four year period Elkland, under the leadership of Wood and William Baker, built one of the finest Scouting units in the country, registering fifty-three boys in 1929. In that year the troop won state and national recognition in advancement, and the following seven Scouts received Eagle awards: Harold Alty, Ralph Lyon, Alfred Piecuch, John D. Murray, James Sheen, Lee Stoddard and Adelbert Allen. Lee Stoddard attended the World Jamboree in that year under the sponsorship of the Elkland Leather Company.
Over the years, hundreds of boys won Star, Life and Merit awards, and John Dorrance, F. C. Prindle, Malcolm Stull, Clark runyan, Scoutmaster Steven Dymtrow and Richard Cass won Eagle awards. Scout Prindle represented Elkland at the World Jamboree in 1937.
H. Wood, M. O. Holmes and Steven Dymtrow each served the troops as scoutmaster for a five year period, and John D. Murray, Emil Caffo, G. K. Smith, Lawrence Baker A. E. Allen, T. O. Pattison, Dana Williams, William Perham and Kenneth VanSchaick have also acted in this capacity.
The Elkland Welfare Association provides Council fees for the program, and since 1945 the American Legion Post has sponsored the troop.
Hundreds of men have assisted the leaders in one form or another as committeemen, review board members or assistants, and more than 100 Elkland and Osceola boys have benefited from the citizenship training program.
In 1943 C. W. Prindle was awarded the Silver Beaver, highest honor paid to those making outstanding contributions to the Boy Scout program, for his services over a long period.
In 1941 th Rev. Robert Cocks initiated Cub Scouting, and since that time it has been sparked by Paul Waite, who is still chairman for the younger group. After Mr. Cocks left the community in 1945 the Pack was kept alive by Mr. and Mrs. Eugene Woodward, until Weldon Bailey became Cub Master two years ago. The Pack is now under the capable leadership of Mr. Harley Aldrich.
The Senior Scout program for older boys was born late last year, to be led by Joseph Marold. At present the Elkland Post is the most advanced in Steuben Area Council.
Scoutmaster Kenneth VanSchaick will lead an area
delegation of Scouts to the National Jamboree in Valley Forge this summer.
Mr. VanSchaick and Mr. Marold will head the arrangement committee for a
camporee and Scout-o-rama to open the centennial week celebration.
An early tannery was conducted by John Bendict just across the State line in the early 1830’s. He tanned leather for the entire Valley. Most people furnished hides to be tanned in exchange for leather. About once a year a traveling shoemaker by the name of Phenix, came through Elkland. Going from house to house, he would make or repair shoes for the entire family.
Flanders Mill was built in 1849 by John Tubbs. He
ran it until 1870 and sold to Lucas Cadogan. The best eel fishing in that
part of the country was near the pond when the mill was still. Edd Tubbs
purchased the mill in 1905 and ran it until 1908 when it was torn down
and the present feed mill in Osceola was built.
Professional Men of Elkland
There is no record of the first two men mentioned in this article ever practicing law at Elkland. However, they both became lawyers after leaving Elkland and are the first members of the profession identified with Elkland in so far as history has recorded. A. B. Cone was born in New Hampshire in 1820 and settled in Elkland as a young man. He later studied law in the office of John. C. Knox at Lawrenceville and was admitted to the Tioga County Bar in 1846. John W. Ryon was born at Elkland, March 4, 1825, and was admitted to the Tioga County Bar in 1846. He practiced law at Lawrenceville and was elected District Attorney in 1850.
The first lawyer whom Elkland can claim as its own was Robert T. Wood. He was born in Otsego County, New York, February 2, 1830. He came to Tioga County, studied law, was admitted to the Bar in 1853, and began practice at Elkland. During the Civil War Mr. Wood organized two different companies. He was wounded before Petersburg and was mustered out of service June 7, 1865, with the rank of Lt. Colonel. Col. Wood then spent six years in practice in South Dakota. He returned to Elkland, resumed practice here, and edited the Elkland Journal from 1878 to 1880. He continued practice at Elkland until his death in 1905, at which time he was the oldest practicing attorney in Tioga County. Col. Wood represented Tioga County in the General Assembly in 1870-71.
A contemporary of Mr. Wood was John S. Ryon who was born in Nelson Township, January 4, 1847. Mr. Ryon was admitted to the Bar in 1877 and opened his office at Elkland. He was identified with several business enterprises as well as maintaining his legal practice until his death in 1918. During the latter years of the 19th century, Elkland had two lawyers engaged in active practice – Mr. Wood and Mr. Ryon.
Although he was not engaged in practice in Elkland, Charles tubs, of Osceola, Pennsylvania should be mentioned in any centennial history of this vicinity for he more than any other person has contributed to the recording of Tioga County history. Mr. Tubbs was born at Osceola, July 11, 1843, was graduated from the University of Michigan Law School, and was admitted to the Bar in 1867. He practiced law at Osceola, was active in politics, and served in the Pennsylvania General Assembly. Mr. Tubbs was greatly interested in local history and wrote much on the subject. It is to be regretted that he did not have time to write a history of Elkland comparable with the careful monographs which he wrote on other communities in this vicinity.
Before passing on to the later lawyers, mention should be made of two earlier lawyers who were here for a short time but of whose activities little is known. History of Tioga County (Brown and Company, 1897) states that Kasson Parkhurst practiced in Elkland a short time around the time of the Civil War and that S. D. Brooks came in 1855 and remained until 1867.
Two other men were admitted to the Bar but were not engaged in practice. They were Charles H. Cornelius who was admitted in 1896 and Charles L. Pattison, son of C. L. Pattison and Company, the predecessor of The Pattison National Bank. History of Tioga County (W. W. Munsel & Company, 1883) lists Clark W. Beach as practicing at Elkland, but this appears to be in error as Mr. Beach was located at Westfield.
Frank D. Selph was born in Michigan, March 1, 1862. When a child he came to Nelson and was educated in the schools of that village and at Mansfield Normal School. He studied law under the direction of John S. Ryon and Robert T. Wood, and upon his admission to the Bar he opened an office in Elkland where he practiced until his death in 1932.
After the death of Mr. Selph, Elkland was without a lawyer until Roger F. Williams came here from Philadelphia in 1935 where he practiced until his untimely death at the age of thirty-five in 1939. Mr. Williams was counsel for the independent union which was formed in June 1937 during the tannery strike. He was more than a lawyer to this group, furnishing inspiration and leadership in its struggle with the C. I. O. and the National Labor Relations Board. Mr. Williams did not live to see the end of this labor litigation which, after his death, was carried to the U.S. circuit Court of Appeals which rendered a decision August 21, 1940.
Following the death of Mr. Williams, George Linton
came to Elkland, also from Philadelphia, in 1940 and remained until August,
1942, when he secured a commission in the Army. Upon his return from service
in 1945, Mr. Linton located in Wellsboro. Elkland was again without a lawyer
until 1947. They have Mr. Edwin Glover now in 1976.
The first physician to practice in Elkland was Seth John Porter who came here in 1830. He remained here three years, later moving to Kalamazoo, Michigan, where he died. He was also a minister of the gospel and organized the first church in the village.
Dr. Porter was followed shortly by Dr. Elisha B. Benedict, who also combined the ministry with his care of the sick. Dr. Benedict started practicing here in 1831 and continued until his death in 1872.
Our next doctor was Dr. William T. Humphrey, a native of Bainbridge, N.Y. and a graduate of the Albany Medical College, who moved here from Addison, N.Y. in 1849. He remained here until 1857 when he moved to Osceola. He continued with his practice there until 1897 with the exception of three years and seven months which he spent in the Army during the Civil War.
In 1850, Dr. W. W. Wright, a native of Greene County, N.Y. who came to Elkland six years previously with his parents, began the practice of his profession and continued until 1902. He was followed by W. E. Hathway, a homeopathic physician who located here in 1876.
Dr. Thomas Rockwell began his practice here in 1887 and continued until his death in 1896, then Dr. W. T. Humphrey, a son of the third Elkland physician, started his practice in 1890. He practiced here until his death in 1922.
Dr. H. Z. Frisbie settled here in 1896 and practiced here until his death in 1935. His widow still resides at his home next to the bank and his offices are occupied by Edwin A. Glover, attorney.
Dr. Ernest L. Ward, following his graduation from Robert College and the Medico Chirurgical College in Philadelphia, now Temple University, began the practice of medicine in Osceola in 1904. H opened an office in Elkland in 1914 in the Upham Block, the building which is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. George Davenport. He later moved his office to Buffalo Street in the building now occupied by Miss Sally Monham. He continued here until his death in 1936.
Dr. W. W. Nuse came to Elkland in 1917 to visit his brother Lawrence, an employee of the Sheldon plant, and remained here to practice until 1931.
Following his graduation from Bucknell, Jefferson Medical College and his internship at the Robert Packer Hospital, Dr. Harry Williams, formerly of Nanticoke, opened his office in the Warren Block in 1930. In 1932 he moved his office and family to the Otis Preston home and in 1933 he purchased the Stalker property where he again moved his family and his office and has since lived and maintained his office.
Dr. Williams was elected Coroner of Tioga County in 1944 and still retains that office.
Dr. Eleanor Larson, Elkland’s first woman doctor, started her practice here in 1931. She received her graduate education at the University of Pittsburgh, Harvard University and Women’s Medical College, graduating with the degree of medicine in 1930.
Dr. Isadore DiSalvo came to Elkland in the 1930’s and stayed until his return to Williamsport in 1942.
Other doctors who served the people of Elkland and
of whom we have little record are: Dr. Mitchell around 1905, Dr. Glover
and Dr. Whitaker who practiced during the middle of the nineteenth century
and also served as a councilman.
In 1898, Dr. Frederick Knapp opened his dental office over the Joseph Dulso Barber Shop. He had been born in Towanda and attended dental college at the University of Pennsylvania. Through his sister, Mrs. H. Z. Frisbie, whose husband was a doctor here, he became interested in Elkland and decided to settle here. In 1902 he married Mrs. Carrie Dorrance. Dr. Knapp continued his dental work here until his death in the influenza epidemic of 1919.
In 1919 Dr. A. B. Carey, also a graduate of the University of Pennsylvania, opened his office in the Dulso Block. He was born in Cherry Valley and had served in World War I. Dr. Eugene Watkins maintains his office.
In 1931 Dr. Dewert G. Grover opened his dental offices
in the Otis Preston house. He was born on a farm near Bingham Center, Pennsylvania.
After graduation from the University of Pittsburgh in 1928, he had started
practicing in Galeton, later coming to Elkland. Dr. Grover had offices
in the Electric Building over K. A. Wetmore’s Barber Shop, and later moved
to his present location when he purchased the Fenton home on Main Street
and built on the office wing.
In 1918 Mr. Charles Judd of Knoxville purchased the
E. A. Coates property on Buffalo Street and opened an optometrist office
and a jewelry store. He was joined in 1925 by M. O. Holmes of Corning.
Mr. Holmes had graduated from the Rochester School of Optometry in 1924.
In 1929 Mr. Judd sold his business to his assistant and returned to Knoxville.
Shortly after this Mr. Holmes moved to offices over the bank. In 1935 he
received his degree of Doctor of Optometry, and the following year Dr.
Holmes and his family moved into his present location on Main Street. Dr.
John Stagman and Dr. Marzo are the present optometrists.
Map of Elkland in 1875
The map of Elkland in the "County Atlas of Tioga County, Pennsylvania" was made "from recent and actual records" as stated on the title page of the Atlas published in 1875.
There was only Main Street and Buffalo Street, as Parkhurst Street was not opened but was just a path. The boundaries were the Cemetery on the North, Mr. George Dorrance’s farm on the East, Mr. Rudiker’s farm (now Reed Smith) on the South and D. W. Stull’s farm on the West. After leaving the Stull house and traveling east, the first place on the map is the old school house (Lee Redfield), Cemetery and Presbyterian Church, Beard (now owned by Miss Eleanor Donovan), Kenyon Funeral Home, W. Dornbach (one of the first buildings in Elkland, built a the Ryon farmhouse and later owned by Mrs. Fred Wetmore. It is the present home of our Honor Roll), Whitaker (Mrs. Frisbie), the Bank and Skinner’s store on the corner (now Sheen’s Sons).
As we cross Buffalo on Main we notice from the map Joel Parkhurst (Moose Lodge), the present Horton and Farmelo houses before we come to A. Close (Snyder), two houses are between there and the Dorrance tenant house (Barocco).
As we cross to the north side of Main Street and travel west, after the Dorrance farmhouse, we find Mrs. Bennett (Emma Stevens), Mrs. Benedict (Frank Enderle), Dr. Wright (Davis), the present Edd Coates property, Preston with a small shop in front, a harness shop of J. M. Reed (Dorn), the postmaster Loveland (Prindle) with the small Post Office between his home and the Case Hotel (Schultz Motor).
Crossing Buffalo Street is the present Moren’s store, home of John Parkhurst (Poe Surina), a small shop, and farther up Main we find R. McCann (Otis Preston), J. Parkhurst (Donley and Carl Bailey), C. L. Pattison (Stedge, Morris Smith, Ira Smith, Will Sheen and Melcome Stull), the last one on the street being the Stull farmhouse (Brown) with the Hammond homestead where now Clark Wood lives.
Buffalo Street seemed to be pretty well built in with John Parkhurst owning the first building back of the Case House, B. Meade (now Dempsey), C. L. Pattison (Mel Preston), Davidson (Glen Carpenter), and Professor Ward living next to the Methodist Church in the old Parsonage which was removed to make an entrance to the Grade School and later the High School. Ward Trim lived in the present Leona Swan house, T. Coates next, and the Sash and Blind Factory at the end of where Second Street now is located. From there to the railroad we find the Coates (Jim Kizer) house and a Mr. Purple.
As you study the map, you will discover many interesting things. The school is back of the Methodist Church. The tannery is across the river, and the Edwards Planing Mill near Camp Brook near the present tannery. The home of Joseph Cornelius is now occupied by Lee Stoddard. Three other houses across the river complete the buildings in Elkland in 1875.