History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
At the age of sixteen years and six months; Newton L., born November 10, 1854, married to Emma A. Brown; Austin R., born May 14, 1862, married to Eliza J. Benjamin; Ettie A., born November 9, 1864, wife of Gurdon E. Delong; Elliston E., born October 3, 1869--all being prosperous and successful farmers. Mr. Miller, with all his other extensive enterprises, put up a building, and opened a general store at Laddsburg, and conducted it many years; he removed to Durell in September, 1877, and is at present the owner of a fine farm under a good state of cultivation; he is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and the I.O.O.F.; he is a Republican, and has filled many offices of public trust, such as school director and commissioner. Mr. and Mrs. Miller have been members of the Protestant Methodist Church, since before their marriage, and he has been one of the officers, and several times a delegate to the Conferences.
WILLIAM W. MILLER, farmer and stock grower, P.O. North Rome, was born in Rome township, this county, August 11, 1833, and is a son of Hiram and Esther (Clark) Miller, the former of whom was born in New York, was a farmer, and had a family of six children, two of whom survive: William W. and a daughter, Mrs. Marcus Vancise. William W. Miller attended the district school a few terms, and at the age of nine had to make his own living and quit school. He was married at the age of twenty-four years, and from that time dates the beginning of his prosperity, which has continued to the present time. Soon after marriage he purchased his first farm, which he still owns, twelve acres of which had been “chopped,” and one and one-half acres partly cleared, an old log house being the only building. He has devoted a great portion of his time lumbering. On August 21, 1862, he enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, P.V.I., but, being seized with typhoid fever, he was discharged on surgeon’s certificate, and returned home, where he remained but a few months, when he again enlisted, this time in Company I, One Hundred and Eighty-seventh Regiment, P.V.I., until the close of the war, being mustered out at Harrisburg with the regiment. He received a flesh-wound in the right leg from a minie ball, was in the battle of Fredericksburg, and many other minor engagements. After returning, he resumed farming and now owns 325 acres. Mr. Miller was united in wedlock, November 17, 1850 to Sarah, daughter of William L. Taylor and Sarah (Vastbinder) Taylor, by which union there are six children yet living, two being deceased, as follows: E.M., married to Rosa Johnson; William, died in infancy; Mary, married to Godfrey Eiklor; Helen, married to George Manold, and died in 1885; A.B., married to Vernie Eiklor; Sarah, Stella,Clara. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Miller has been a member thirty-five years, and a class-leader nearly the whole time, also a steward; is a member of Stevens Post, No. 69, G.A.R., a member of the Farmers’ Alliance, and is a Republican. Mr. Miller is a self-made man, as he entered the wilderness with no assistance but his faithful wife, and has accumulated a fortune by his own exertions.
GEORGE B. MILLS, farmer, in Towanda township, P.O. Towanda, was born in North Towanda, this county, April 13, 1829, a son of
Stephen A. and Amanda (Fanning) Mills, natives of this State. His grandfather, Edward Mills came to this county in 1801. His great-grandfather was brutally murdered by the British soldiers at Fort Griswold, Conn. George B. Mills, the subject of this sketch, was united in marriage, June 19, 1856, with Ruth J., daughter of Samuel K. Harkness, a native of Madison county, N.Y.; they have the following children: Florence A., wife of Sidney R. Smith, residing in Rome, this county; Leslie D., married to Orris Smith; Willis, married to Isabel McMurran. Mr. Mils’ present home is the homestead of his father, who built the old stone house, in 1839, which was for a long time used as a hotel, and is consequently one of the historic places in the county; he has the old farm under a fine state of cultivation, and is considered one of the principal farmers of the township. Mr. Mills has been for many years an active member of the Masonic Lodge, No. 108; has been a school director nearly twenty years; he is a Republican in politics and takes an interest in the affairs of he county. Mrs. Mills and all of her children are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Towanda; she has been an active worker in the Sunday-school.
SILAS MILLS, farmer, P.O. North Towanda, one of the oldest residents of North Towanda, was born in Ulster township, this county, September 12, 1808, and is a son of Edward and Lusinah (Stuart) Mills. Edward Mills was a native of Connecticut, born August 12, 1780, whose father was killed by the British in the massacre at Fort Griswold, when Edward was three years old. While yet a child, Edward’s mother married a Mr. Smith, and moved to Delaware county, N.Y., where he was reared and married. Edward Mills settled in Ulster township, this county in 1808, and in 1809 moved to what is now North Towanda township, and in 1814 purchased a farm, part of which is now owned and occupied by his son, Silas, most of which he cleared and improved, and resided there for many years. In later life he removed to this place; his wife died while on a visit to Illinois, October 29, 1847, and after her death he concluded to remain in that State, and resided there until his death, which occurred in Winnebago, July 5, 1869. He was an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and an esteemed citizen. His children were as follows: Stephen A., Hannah S. (twice married); her first husband was George K. Bingham, and her second was Cornelius Coolbaugh); Esther (also twice married; her first husband was Erastus Pratt, and her second was Abram Huff); Silas Freeman, Dr. Edward, Garner C., and Lusinah (Mrs. Wright). Silas Mills was reared in North Towanda, received a limited education in the schools of his day, has always been a farmer, and has been a continuous resident of the old homestead since 1855. He married, February 28, 1840, Mary E., daughter of Eleazer (Rutty) Allis, of Orwell, this county, and by her he had five children, four of whom grew to maturity, viz.: Sophia (Mrs. George N. Strunk), Viletta, Marvin V. and Mary (Mrs. Charles Biles). Mr. Mills is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics is a Republican.
AUSTIN MITCHELL, proprietor of foundry and machine shops, Troy was born in Franklin, Delaware Co., N.Y., August 5, 1827, and
Is a son of William and Mabel (Chaunay) Mitchell, who settled in Burlington township, this county, in 1831, where the father, who was a blacksmith by trade, resided until his death, which occurred October 4, 1847; the mother died April 22, 1855. Their children were Leroy, Chaunay, Austin, Eugene, Oscar and James. The subject of this sketch was reared in Burlington township, received a common school education and learned the blacksmith and machinist trade. He worked as a journeyman up to 1877, in which year he embarked in business for himself in Troy (whither he had come in 1847), in which he has since continued, carrying on a machine foundry and general repair shops. Mr. Mitchell was twice married, on first occasion to Samantha, daughter of Benjamin Shattuck, of Troy, and by her he has had six children; Frank, Eugene, Mary, Austin, Jr., Emma (Mrs. C.J. Bloom) and James; the second wife of Mr. Mitchell was Jane, daughter of John Berry, of Gillett, Pa., and by this union there have been four children: Mary, George, Nellie and John. Mr. Mitchell is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Royal Arch Mason. Politically he is a Democrat, and has served as member of the council of Troy one term.
HON. B.B. MITCHELL, a well-known druggist of Troy, was born on a farm in Tioga county, Pa., January 14, 1839, and is a son of Richard and Harriet M. (Dartt) Mitchell, formerly of Vermont, of Scotch-Irish descent, and among the first settlers of Tioga county. Hon. B.B. Mitchell, the subject of this sketch, was educated in the schools of his native county, Lewisburg University and Bryant & Stratton’s Business College, Buffalo, N.Y.; was in the employ of E. Bradford Clark, of Philadelphia, as a bookkeeper, from January 1, 1859, until January 1, 1860. In the latter year he established a drug and book business in Troy, Pa., and, though a stranger and without any practical experience, succeeded in building up a prosperous business. In August, 1861, he helped recruit and organize the first cavalry company in the county, was chosen first lieutenant, and with his company joined Harlan Independent Cavalry at Philadelphia, Pa. The raising of this regiment, which was authorized by the Secretary of War, was from different States, and was to be on the same footing as regulars. Gov. Curtin, however, took issue with the Secretary of Way, claiming the Pennsylvania troops; he was finally successful, and then the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry was organized, and the Troy company became Company F, in that regiment. In 1862 Lieut. Mitchell was promoted to captain, and took an active part in the campaign and battles of war, until October, 1864, when he was offered a major’s commission; but having already served over the three years for which he had enlisted, and being broken in health, he declined further promotion, left the service, and returned to Troy, and as soon as his health permitted, resumed mercantile business, which he has continued to prosecute with marked success. On May 29, 1865, he married Ellen E., only daughter of Samuel W. and A. Malvina (Davidson) Pomeroy, of Troy, by whom he had seven children, as follows: Louie P. (deceased), Josephine P., Nannie B., Samuel Pomeroy (deceased), Benjamin B., Henrietta D. (deceased), and Emma
Eloise. In 1884, with three others, he engaged in the live-stock business, on the plains of South Dakota. In 1885, the live-stock company was incorporated as the Keystone Land and Cattle Company, with an authorized capital of half a million; Capt. Mitchell was chosen secretary and treasurer of the company, and has continued to look after their large business interests, both at home and in the West, to the present time. For many years he has taken an active interest in politics and public matters generally; was a member of the State Legislature from 1882 until 1884; has served as justice of the peace of Troy by appointment, and by election has been member of the borough council and clerk of the borough, an active member of the board of education for fifteen years, presented the Mitchell Gold Medal to the pupil, in Troy graded and high schools, most perfect in orthography. He was a charter member of the first G.A.R Post at Troy, and was its commander, two years; was also a charter member of Glenwood Cemetery Association, and has continued its secretary to the present time. Mr. Mitchell is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was three years superintendent of the Sunday-school; he is a Sir Knight Templar, a member of the G.A.R., and in politics is a Republican.
WILLIAM MITTEN, a farmer, Wyalusing township, P.O. Wyalusing, who is one of the few survivors of the Mexican War, was born in County Monaghan, Ireland, about 1819, a son of Thomas and Mary (Conn) Mitten, and came to the United States with his parents in 1839, locating in Herrick township. His mother died when he was two or three years old, and his father was married, the second time, to Jane Wood; he had three children by his first marriage, viz.: Joseph, who died in infancy; James, now residing in Herrick, and William; the children by his second marriage were: Susan, who died in infancy; Mary Ann, married to Nesbit Gamble (now deceased) and Eliza, married to Jesse Carman, and living in Camptown. William Mitten, the subject of this sketch, spent his time on the farm until May 30, 1844, when he enlisted in Company H, Eighth Regiment, United States Infantry, commanded by Capt. J.V. Boneford, stationed at St. Augustine, Fla. He remained there until June 8, 1845, and was transferred to Tampa Bay, and same fall to Corpus Christi, Texas, where he remained until March 9, 1846, when the army was started on the march for the East, along the bank of the Rio Grande, and the troops of which he was a member, were engaged for some time in building Fort. Brown. He was of the party that started on May 1, for Fort Isabel for supplies, securing which, they started, on May 7, on their return, and on May 8 fought in the battle of Palo Alto. The next day they again encountered the enemy at Resacca de la Palma, where they were posted in the dry bed of a ravine; here the Eighth Infantry, commanded by Col. Belknap, was held as reserve to support the attacking army, but were soon into the fight. The Mexicans fought until nearly all were slain or taken prisoners of war. The army crossed the Rio Grande on the 18th, and shortly afterward were taken by water to Comorgo, whence they started on the campaign against Monterey; during this campaign his
Regiment was under fire one night from the division of deserters from the American army, and Captain McKavett was killed, and others wounded; the next day he was in the division that stoned and captured the Bishop’s palace; next day they captured the city and army of Monterey, and shortly afterward started to Saltill, which was taken without opposition. He then joined the forces of Gen. Scott, and, after the army concentrated and organized, started on the campaign against the city of Mexico; the army landed through the surf at San Juan de Ullo, Worth’s division being first to reach shore, and at once engaged the enemy, which, after a short but severe skirmish, fell back; they then invested the city of Vera Cruz, and remained there after the fall of the city, until April 18, 1847, when they had moved on and fought the battle of Cerro Gordo, where Santa Anna’s wooden leg was captured; then Puebla was surrendered without a fight, and the American flag unfurled upon the walls of the city that the Mexicans boasted would never surrender. A few days later, after suffering from severe cold in the mountain, they came before the fortifications of the City of Mexico; then, on the twentieth, came the storming and capture of Contreras and Cherubusco, his company being first to enter the latter fore, which they did after wading a ditch filled breast high with water; the next engagement he participated in was the storming of Molino del Ray, where he narrowly escaped a bayonet thrust, turning aside so that the bayonet pierced his knapsack; next was the storming of Chapuitepec, where Longstreet was wounded, and carried to the rear on the back of William Mitten; his division was under a constant fire along the acqueduct road into the city, where he lost one of his companions, Sergt. John H. Hoose, whom he had tented with since entering the army; they worked their way into the city, and the war was over. From November 14th, Worth’s army was away from the city, occupying the city of Toluca, until August, 1848, when they started for home, making the trip by way of Vera Cruz and New Orleans, thence to St. Louis, Mo., and W. Mitten was there stationed for a short time, and in the fall of 1848 started for Port Lavaca, in Texas; the cholera broke out in his regiment, and out of the remnant left from the Mexican War, one hundred and twenty-seven fell victims to its ravages; from there he came home on a thirty days’ furlough, and was discharged without rejoining his regiment; he was promoted to corporal at St. Augustine, and to first sergeant at Montery, also was honored by having the straps taken from another sergeant and given to him; he was in the service five years, and met with many narrow escapes from the dangers of the field and march. After returning home he settled down to the duties of civil life, taking up farming, and he has passed the remainder of his life so far in the vicinity where he now lives; he now has 137 acres of land, beautifully located and well improved. On September 6, 1849, he was united in wedlock with Margaret Morrow, a daughter of William Morrow, a prominent farmer of Wyalusing, and to them were born seven children, five of whom yet survive: Nancy J. married to J.W. Hurst, of Herrick township, and es-register and recorder of Bradford county; R.J., member of the mercantile house of Mitten, Nesbit & Mitten, of
Tekamah, Neb.; W.T., farmer, having charge of the old homestead; Jessie, married to T.J. Claggett, of Standing Stone, and Mary A., now housekeeper for her father and brother, W.T. Mr. Mitten is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church; he neither votes nor sits on juries. He lost his devoted wife by death, April 24, 1891. This family fills a prominent place in the love and respect of the community in which they live and move.
FREDERICK A. MOGER, retired farmer, P.O. Wyalusing, was born in Standing Stone, this county, July 29, 1842, a son of Nathaniel and Anna (Huyck) Moger. His parents were natives of Bradford county, of German origin; his mother died about thirty years ago and his father, who was a farmer in Standing Stone, died in 1886, aged eighty-four. They had a family of ten children, viz.: Sally, Margaret, Jane, William, Franklin, Lydia Ann, Frederick A., Artemesia, Inez and Anna, seven of whom are still living, and six reside in Bradford county. Frederick was born and reared on a farm, received a limited common-school education, and worked on his father’s farm until March 1, 1864, when he enlisted in Company E, Fifty-second P.V.V.I., and served until July 22, 1865, when he mustered out with his regiment, at Harrisburg; soon after his enlistment he was attached to the Signal Corps and did scout duty the greater portion of his term, thus being in no pitched battles, but enduring as hard and dangerous service as was to found in the army; upon his return home he resumed the occupation of farming, and followed that for a short time; then entered the employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, where he remained fourteen years. Prior to this time he had purchased a farm in Susquehanna county. In March, 1873, he came to Wyalusing, where he has since remained. On February 21, 1871, he married Martha Roberts, widow of Mortimer Roberts, and daughter of Albert Leonard, of Susquehanna county, and to them was born one child, who died in infancy. Mr. Moger is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Wyalusing, of Jackson Post, No. 74, G.A.R., and has been an officer of the guard the past three years; politically he is a stanch democrat, but does not interest himself greatly in political matters.
GEORGE P. MONRO, farmer, P.O. Sylvania, was born in what is now North Towanda township, this county, August 31, 1838, and is a son of Peter and Lavinia (Pettibone) Monro, natives of Bristol, R.I., and Bennington, Vt., respectively; his paternal grandfather, Thomas Monro, son of Dr. Thomas Monro, settled in Columbia township, in 1823, and partially cleared the farm now owned by the heirs of Henry Card, and died there; his wife was Sybil Borden, by whom he had children, all of whom grew to maturity; Sally (Mrs. Henry Card), Thomas B., William, Mary T., George, Abram, Peter, Sybil (Mrs. James Metler), Bateman, John and James, of whom Peter was born in Bristol, R.I., September 15, 1808; came with his parents to Columbia township, in 1823, and after attaining his majority worked at the carpenter’s trade, until 1858; then engaged in mercantile business. He died, February 13, 1888; his wife was a daughter of Ira and Betsey
He then attended Hobart Academy AND State Normal, of New York, and began teaching; taught in New York about three years, and in 1845 he came to Bradford county, where he taught the school at Merryall, also engaged in operating a sawmill at that place. He remained in Wyalusing township about three years, and then removed to what is known as Montgomery Corners, on Spring Hill, where he resided until 1874, when he removed to Silvara and purchased his present home. He had learned the trade of stone-mason, which, together with teaching, constituted his occupation until 1883. In 1879 he first turned his attention to the stone business, and began operating a quarry in the neighborhood of Silvara, known as the Coggswell quarry, which he operated five years, and then opened his present quarry, known as the Montgomery quarry, which is situated on the land of A.J. Silvara, and is an excellent place, producing both flag and stock of superior quality, which he markets on the yards at Skinner’s Eddy. He employs a force of about seven men, and has an output of twenty-five hundred feet per week. Mr. Montgomery was united in marriage, December 31, 1851, with Esther Morris, a daughter of Gilbert Morris, of Ulster county, N.Y., and their union was blessed with two children: Mary E., who married William Sterling, a stone-cutter, of Silvara, and Hayden, who engaged with his father in the stone business. Mrs. Montgomery died March 16, 1883. Our subject is a member of the Methodist Protestant Church, of Silvara; politically, he is a Republican, and takes an active part in local politics, but has never been a place-seeker. Mr. Montgomery has one of the best of many excellent quarries in his section, and has fitted with a good derrick, and all modern improvements for getting out stone.
DR. HORACE M. MOODY, physician, East Smithfield, born December 7, 1838, a son of Moses and Poebe (Allen) Moody. Moses was the eldest of five sons, and came to this county with his father when five years of age, from Haverhill, Mass. The grandfather of the Doctor, Nathaniel Peasly Moody, was in the senior class in Yale College at the commencement of the Revolutionary War; he enlisted on a privateer and went to sea, but was soon captured by the British and pressed into the Dutch service; after two years he was exchanged, and went into the army, rose to the rank of major and was at the surrender of Burgoyne at Yorktown. Nathaniel settled in Rome in 1795, and soon took possession near the mouth of Ballard creek, and after two years traded for a farm, where the village of Rome now stands, and paid a difference of 180 pounds of maple sugar; on account of his superior education he was a man of great influence in his time. Horace M. was educated at the schools of his native village, and at the Old Academy at Smithfield; he read medicine with Dr. E.P. Allen, now of Athens, attended one course of lectures at Ann Arbor, and was graduated at Geneva Medical College; he commenced the practice of his profession at East Smithfield in 1861. He was assistant-surgeon from 1863 until the close of the war, in the One Hundred and Eighty-third Pennsylvania, and was present at the surrender of Lee’s army at Clover Hill, Va. He was married, October 26, 1865, to Lucinda L. Allen, a sister of Dr. Allen, born in1841, and they have one daughter,
Corie Etta, born in 1866. The Moodys have been Federalists, Whigs and Republicans. Dr. Moody has five brothers who have been justices of the peace, and two Myron and Nelson, were soldiers in the Civil War. He was the first man to help in the erection of the monument at the Centre in memory of the fallen heroes of the war, from Smithfield township, which was the first monument erected in northern Pennsylvania; he is a commander of the G.A.R., and a Freemason.
ULYSSES MOODY, merchant, Asylum, was born May 9, 1811, in Rome, this county, a son of Nathaniel P. and Susan (Griffin) Moody. Nathaniel P. Moody was a revolutionary soldier; he offered himself to his country early in the war, but being too young was rejected, and was then shipped on board a privateer, at Boston, but in a few days it was captured at sea by the British, and he was taken as a prisoner of war to England, where he was pressed into service in the war against the Dutch. At the time of Burgoyne’s defeat, he was exchanged, and then enlisted in the War for Independence, in which he experienced many hardships; he was a man of great perseverance and sterling worth, and settled in Rome, this county, in 1790; his son, Benjamin, was the first white male child born in the county east of the river in Rome, Warren, Windham and Orwell. Ulysses is the youngest of nine children. He was married, August 17, 1837, to Mary A., daughter of Nathaniel and Sarah (Franklin) Terry, the father a native of Pennsylvania, the mother being English. Her grandfather was the first settler of Terry township. To Mr. And Mrs. Moody have been born four children, three of whom died in childhood. The survivor, Nathaniel P., born December 16, 1843, in Asylum township, was educated in the common schools, and then at Towanda and Easton; was a sergeant in the Civil War; was in the battle of Fredericksburg, but, on account of failing health, was discharged; he married Sarah, daughter of Dr. Edward C. Crandall, who died, October 14, 1887 (Nathaniel is a partner in the business with his father). The father has been continuously in the business since 1835, fifty-six years. This is one of the highly respectable families of the county.
GEORGE H. MOORE, wholesale and retail grocer, Towanda, was born in St. Paul, Minn., April 17, 1866, and is a son of Charles P. and Elizabeth (McCabe) Moore. His paternal grandfather, Henry P. Moore, was a resident of Bradford county about sixty years, spent his boyhood in Standing Stone, and after reaching his majority became the junior member of the firm of Tracy & Moore, dealers in general merchandise there, and later in Towanda. He was also interested in boating on the North Branch Canal, and owned a couple of boats which he operated several years. He died in Towanda, in the fall of 1888, at the age of seventy years. His wife was Amelia Nobles, by whom he had nine children, of whom Charles P., father of subject, was the second child, and eldest son. He was born in Towanda, and reared, educated and married there. In 1864 he removed to St. Paul, Minn., where he remained two years. He returned to Towanda in 1866, and took charge of his father’s store for a time, and later, for ten years, was in the employ of the Erie Railroad Company at Barclay, as weighmaster and assistant superintendent of
their mines. He afterward engaged in the liquor business one year, in Towanda, and then was for five years in the grocery business. Mr. Moore died January 5, 1889. His wife was a daughter of George McCabe, a native of Ireland, and pioneer of Bradford county, and by her had two children, George H. and Jeanette. George H. Moore was reared and educated in Towanda, and when sixteen years of age took charge of Patch & Packer’s store, at Sayre, for one year, and at seventeen embarked in business for himself at Towanda, in which he has since successfully continued. He married, October 15, 1890, Isabel, daughter of John and Aurissa (Angle) Spalding, of Towanda. He is a member of the Episcopal Church and F. & A.M.; politically he is a Republican.
P.W. MOREY, farmer, P.O. Rummerfield Creek, was born October 26, 1832, in Northampton county, Pa., a son of Tobias and Margaret (Wiedman) Morey, natives of Pennsylvania, wo were of Scotch and German ancestry. He was married, April 9, 1856, to Emma, daughter of Joseph and Sarah Lochr, of Michigan, who were of German extraction; she was the third in a family of four children, all of whom are living. This union has been blessed with six children, all yet living, as follows: Sarah A., born July 9, 1857; Eugene, born October 1, 1859; Joseph L., born August 4, 1862, married to Emma Decker, December 24, 1885; Ida, born November 12, 1864, wife of C.F. Park; Maggie May, born March 27, 1870, married to George A. Frutchey, and Augusta, born June 13, 1873. Mr. Morey raised on his father’s farm, came to this county in April, 1871, and purchased a part of the old Laporte farm in Asylum township, on the Frenchtown flats, and owns over two hundred acres of as fine land as there is in the State. He is a very successful and prosperous farmer, combining the growing of tobacco and stock-raising with that of general agriculture. He is a member of the F. & A.M., No. 311, Mount Bethel Lodge, and is a Democrat in politics. The family are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Morey ever manifests an interest in the education and welfare of his community.
ENOS W. MORGAN, farmer and carpenter, P.O. Burlington, was born in Massachusetts, September 15, 1830, a son of Herman and Orilla (Boyce) Morgan, farmers and natives of New England, of English ancestry. The grandfather, Morgan, was a soldier in the War of the Revolution. Our subject was brought by his parents to Bradford county, in 1832, and they settled in Armenia, where they engaged in farming. In 1862, Enos W. enlisted in Company C, One Hundred and Seventy-first P.V.I., and was many times under fire. On account of great exposure, and consequent loss of health, he was discharged in September, 1863, and is now a pensioner and a member of the G.A.R. Mr. Morgan has been twice married, his first marriage being with Rosilla Brown, who died, and he then married, April 10, 1878, Mrs. Permelia (Lane) Riley. By his first wife he had four children, as follows: G. Lorenzo, married to Laura Beals; Alma J., wife of Joseph Pierce; Susan, wife of Clinton Murray; and Charles Newton, married to Alice Farnsworth. Mr. Morgan has been a carpenter, builder and farmer all his life. In politics he is Republican, but his sympathies