History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
drug store, where he studied pharmacy, and he became a registered pharmacist in 1887; then read medicine with his father, and after a sufficient course of reading, entered Jefferson Medical College, of Philadelphia, and was graduated April 4, 1889. He commenced the study of dentistry, and entered the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery, of Philadelphia, was graduated, and received the degree of D.D.S., in 1891. He is also a registered pharmacist, and clerks in his father’s store. He was united in marriage, June 11, 1888, with Clara E. Forbes, of Rome. William Rice is a member of Stevens Post, No. 69, G.A.R.; also a member of the Masonic Fraternity, at Rome, Lodge No. 418, and has taken the degree of A.Y.M. Politically the family were formerly Democratic, but have been staunch Republicans since the organization of that party.
J. W. RICHARDS, dispatcher, Northern Division, L.V.R.R., Sayre, is a native of Factoryville, Luzerne Co., Pa., and was born Mary 14, 1852, a son of Edward and Harriet (Allen) Richards, natives of Orange county, N.Y. His father, who was a farmer, died in Scranton, in 1872, in his fifty-ninth year; his mother died in 1869, in her forty-ninth year. At the age of thirteen J. W. started out in life for himself, and at the age of sixteen began an apprenticeship at the boiler-maker’s trade in Scranton, where he worked until 1880, when he came to Sayre, and in 1881 was made foreman in the boiler shops, and held that position until April, 1890, when he was promoted to his present position. He was married, in Scranton, in 1873, to Miss Anna, daughter of Joab and Sarah Haywood, natives of England, and of their family of seven children, she is the youngest in order of birth, and was born in Watertown, N.Y., in August, 1852. Mr. and Mrs. Richards have one daughter, Alice. Mrs. Richards is a member of the Baptist Church; Mr. Richards is a member of the F. & A.M., Rural Amity, No. 70, Chapter No. 161, of the Northern Commandery, No. 16, and of the Royal Arcanum and Iron Hall; in politics he is a Republican.
ROBERT RICHARDS, farmer and stock-grower, Windham township, P.O. Windham Summit, is a native of Ithaca, N.Y., born June 13, 1814, and is a son of Athinal and Hannah (Smith) Richards, the former born in Wyoming county, Pa., the latter in New Jersey. When a young boy in his father’s Wyoming home, Athinal Richards gave unusual indications of being a natural musician, and in after life was pronounced the best violinist in the State of New York. The young man with his fiddle, the big end of his patrimony, came to Bradford county, and located in Durell township in 1813, but after a stay of one year removed to Tompkins, N.Y., where he remained until his death in 1846; by his side was laid his widow in 1850. The parents of this musician were of English stock, the mother being Rachel (Davenport), and they were married in Wyoming county. The father was severely wounded in the battle of Wyoming, in 1763, and died two months thereafter; the widow afterward, in the year 1790, removed to Standing Stone in this county, where she died in 1856. Athinal Richards had nine children, of whom Robert, the subject of this notice, is the fifth. He became, like his ancestors, a farmer, and in 1847 came to Bradford county, where he purchased a
farm in Rome township, where he remained seven years; then sold and went to Orwell, and was on his farm in that place eleven years. In 1866 he again sold, and located in Windham, giving to his son, W. N. Richards, his elegant farm of 100 acres. He was twice married, first to Elizabeth Roe, daughter of Samuel J. and Sarah (McCann) Roe, of Ithaca, N.Y., and by her had two children: W. N., now in Owego, N.Y., very wealthy, and Mary E., wife of Daniel Vanloane. Mrs. Richards died July 29, 1847, and he was afterward married in Standing Stone, March 8, 1848, to Rebecca, daughter of John V. and Polly Morris, natives of Peekskill, N.Y., by which marriage there were three children: Lou, who died October 25, 1881, aged thirty-one years; Benjamin F., who is postmaster at Windham Summit, and George A., a civil engineer on the St. Paul, Chicago & Milwaukee Railroad. In the family is an adopted son, Frank M. This wife was twice married, first to Nehemia Vought, by whom there were two children: Isaac, a farmer in Orwell, and Charles M., who died at the age of ten. Robert Richards enlisted in the army, October 15, 1862, in the Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company D., and was mustered in October 17 at Camp Curtin. From severe exposure on camp duty, and contracted chronic rheumatism; was furloughed sixty days, and while still sick was carried off, as a deserter, to Camp Distribution, Va., and from there was sent to his own camp, and placed on a dismounted cannon near Washington, where he was again examined by surgeons and honorably discharged. From that day to this he has been a constant sufferer from disease contracted on duty, and is now wholly disabled. He was the oldest soldier in his regiment, and now is the oldest ex-soldier in the county; is a member of the G.A.R. Post, at Nichols, N.Y., and in politics he is Republican. He voted the first Abolition ticket ever put in the ballot box at Rome. The complete explanation of the charge of desertion is in the fact that, when his furlough expired, he was unable to report, and was arrested; but full proofs were made, and he was honorably acquitted, and no man today stands higher in the ranks of the old soldiers. He is now drawing a pension. He was one of the first settlers in Greenwood, Steuben Co., N.Y.
SAMUEL Y. RICHARDS, photographer, Towanda, is a native of the bright little county of Montour, Pa., where he was born August 31, 1836, a son of John and Rebecca (Clark) Richards, of Welsh and Scotch-Irish stock, and natives of Pennsylvania. They were a family of farmers, and of that heroic mold that braved the forests and carved out new farms of the wild wood-land. His parents removed to the outer borders of Lycoming county, when he was little more than a young infant, and there, on his farm, his father spent the remainder of his days, and reared his family of seven children, and died in 1862. Samuel, the youngest of the family, whose childhood was spent in the deep woods, miles away from the nearest school-house, and, instead of books, he learned, at an early age, to chop and plow and do general farm labor, and there are few secrets connected with clearing a farm but that he well remembers from experience just how people go about it:
and when he was a young man grown he was innocent of knowing the names and faces of the alphabet. When he was about twenty-five years old, he very wisely found his partner in life; married, and now has not only the best of wives, but his school teacher; for, commencing with "A B C," she carried him along to a very respectable English education. While the good wife was helping him with his books, he was helping himself, and from chopping wood, he became an expert shingle-maker, and by slow gradations, eventually, a carpenter and builder.
From day to day and year to year he labored on, adding both to his material and mental resources, and after fourteen years of carpentering he removed, in 1858, to Danville (the county-seat of his native county), where he was married (as above related) and continued the carpentering trade until 1867, when a fortunate acquaintance with a photographer of that place finally led him to learn the art and mysteries of the trade of photography. His good reputation enabled him to borrow the money to start himself in this business, and his close attention and skill in the art enabled him to repay the loan in a short time, and to finally come to Towanda and build up one of the most extensive and finest studios in northern Pennsylvania; and so rapidly has his fame extended and his work accumulated, that now he owns two branch offices. He came to Towanda in 1883, and here has his head studio, and his excellent work has spread his fame abroad. Mr. Richards was married in Danville, in 1861, to Matilda, daughter of David Keim, and widow of John Young, and who had a daughter, Ella (Mrs. Charles Colburn, of Wilkes-Barre). They have had three children, born as follows: Hattie (died, aged nineteen), Elizabeth (an artist, the wife of Walter Smith) and Mary Alice (wife of George O. Englebreckt). Mr. and Mrs. Richards are prominent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a Republican, a member of the I.O.O.F. In connection with his gallery he has a stock of artists’ goods.
LEWIS RINEBOLD, a leading farmer of Overton township, P.O. Overton, one of the surviving wounded veterans of the Civil War, is a native of Lehigh county, Pa., born April 19, 1831, and is a son of Lewis and Sallie (Slatterleigh) Rinebold, natives of Pennsylvania and of German extraction. The father, who followed the trade of shoemaker, came to Bradford county in 1834, and made Overton his home until he died in 1856; the mother died in 1863. Lewis Rinebold, who is the tenth in a family of eleven children, grew to manhood in the family home, and when of sufficient age was put to learning the cabinet-maker’s trade, which he followed for twenty years; he then purchased a sawmill, which he operated the next twenty-two years, when he engaged in farming, his present occupation, on his farm of fifty-seven acres in Overton Valley, which is highly improved, and make a most comfortable old homestead. On January 31, 1870, Mr. Rinebold was joined in wedlock with Mira, daughter of Alfred and Hannah (Mudge) Leonard, Pennsylvanians of English origin, who came to Bradford county in 1835, and settled in Troy, where they passed the remainder of their days. The Rinebolds are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee, steward, and class-leader, superintendent of the Sunday-school, and Bible-class teacher, in
History of Bradford County
the latter of which Mrs. Rinebold is also a teacher. He votes the Prohibition ticket, and has held the office of school director. He enlisted in the army, September 7, 1862, in the One Hundred and Forty-first P.V.I., Company C, and was wounded by a musket ball in the hip, at the battle of Chancellorsville; he participated in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville; and was honorably discharged, September 7, 1863. (SRGP ID 46780)
|REUBEN RINEBOLD, Overton township, P.O. Overton, a leading and
influential farmer of his township, a native of Lehigh county, Pa., born
March 20, 1820, is a son of Ludwig and Sallie (Slothy) Rinebold, Pennsylvanians
of remote German descent. His father, who was a shoemaker and farmer, came
to Overton in 1835, where he died January 7, 1856, and his widow, March
12, 1864. Their children were eleven in number, of whom Reuben is the fourth
in order of birth. He remained in the family home, and when he attained
his majority commenced life on his own account, and carved out his own
fortune; he is now retired from active labor, having sold his fifty-acre
farm to his son Adison. Mr. Rinebold was married, in Overton, January 5,
1843, to Catharine, daughter of Daniel and Magdaline (Wilt) Heverly, of
the early pioneer family of Overton, and to this union there were eleven
children, of whom Adison L., is the fifth in the order of birth, born in
Overton where he grew to manhood and engaged in sawmill and lumbering eleven
years, and then purchased his father’s farm, which he still occupies. Adison
L. Rinebold and Effie Allen were joined in matrimony, December 25, 1879,
and have a family of four children, as follows: Grace, George E., Francis
R. and Murray. Reuben is "Prohibition" in politics, while Adison is Republican.
The former is a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
has filled the offices of class-leader, steward and trustee; has also held
the offices of school director, road commissioner, treasurer and assessor.
Photo of Addison & Grace at right taken from the Robbins Family album
JOHN RING, farmer and stockman, P.O. Cadis, was born in County Cork, Ireland, December 16, 1838, to Daniel and Johanna (Malmes) Ring, natives of the same place, and farmers. The family migrated to America in 1839, and pushed at once their way to the present abode in Warren township, this county, one of the early pioneers to this part of the country, and a hearty, bold young man he was, who, with ax in hand, measured his strength of body against the dark old primeval forests that clung upon the hillsides and shadowed so deeply the rich valleys. No man in his time, perhaps, cleared for cultivation more acres of these rich lands than he. He died March 25, 1878, and his good wife and helpmeet departed this life February 24, 1884. To them had been born ten children—five sons and five daughters—of whom John, the subject of this sketch, is the eldest; Mary a resident of Omaha; Ellen (Mrs. Thomas Dunlovey), of warren township, the mother of eleven children; Catherine (Mrs. Luke Cheghemessy), of Owego, N.Y., has eight children; Richard, died July 3, 1888, age forty-one, at Wilkes-Barre; Jerry, married Anna Ryan, of Kingston, N.Y., they have one child, aged seven, died in 1866; Johanna (Mrs. Michael Pingrose) of Windham, her husband died October 6,
1888, Margaret (Mrs. Edward B. Brosnan, who has five children). John Ring was reared on his father’s farm in Warren township, and in early life learned the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade, which he followed eighteen years, and then turned his attention to farming. He has 145 acres well improved and stocked, with ample and good buildings, with one of the finest farm residences in this part of the country. Mr. Ring was married in Warren township, March 31, 1861, to Johanna, daughter of Patrick and Mary (Spaid) Shelton, natives of County Clare, Ireland, who came to this country in their early married life; the father died in 1877 and the mother in 1875. They had children, as follows: James, married to Maggie Murray (they have one child, John, and reside in Williamsport); Mary, of Elkland Pa.; Daniel; Henry, a blacksmith, of Altoona; John, died in 1871, aged three years. Mr. Ring was married, the second time, in 1871, to Julia, daughter of Daniel and Julia Delhouty, of Tipperary, Ireland, and to this marriage were born four children: Joseph, a blacksmith, of Altoona; Julia and Hannah, school teachers, and Kit at school. The family are prominent and exemplary members of the Catholic Church, and in politics he is a Democrat.
ORIN G. ROBBINS, farmer, Monroe township, P.O. Liberty Corners, was born on the farm where he now resides, April 10, 1865, and is a son of Isaac and Emily (Arnot) Robbins. The ancestors of Isaac Robbins had lived in Pennsylvania several generations, and his wife is a descendant of Selah and Prudence (Knight) Arnot, who came to Monroe in 1816; the former of German and the latter of Holland origin. They were accompanied by their children: George E., Joshua, Samuel, Mahala, Susan, Hannah, Cidney and Jane, and settled on the farm adjoining where Orin G. Robbins now resides. The first school at Liberty Corners was kept in a log-barn on this place, and was soon changed into a hewn-log building, which had been built for a shingle shop. In Isaac’s family there were two children: George E., born June 9, 1856, a hair dresser in Oswego, N.Y., and Orin G., who was reared on the farm, educated in the common school, and after following various occupations for brief intervals, engaged in farming on the old homestead, where he has since resided. Mr. Robbins was married, March 24, 1888, to Miss May, daughter of George and Charlotte (McGill) Edsall, of South Branch, and they have two children: Nema Belle, born January 8, 1889, and Edna May, born January 7, 1891. Mr. and Mrs. Robbins are members of the Patrons of Industry, and he is a Republican in politics.
J. W. ROBERTSON, farmer, P.O. Orwell, was born in Fairdale, Susquehanna Co., Pa., July 11, 1822, and is a son of John and Hannah (Sherer) Robertson, the former of whom was a native of New Hampshire, removed to Susquehanna, in 1816, and passed the greater portion of his life there, passing much of his last years with his son, J. W. Robertson, and died in 1877; the mother died in 1875; they were agriculturists, but the father worked at the shoemaker’s trade several years. He reared a family of ten children, viz.: David S., Hannah (married to William J. Arnold, both deceased), Mary (married to David Patterson, both deceased), William, J. W., Samuel (deceased), James
M., Rhoda (deceased), Helen (married to Dr. Augustus Bissell, of Mahanoy City) and Samuel. J. W. Robertson passed his boyhood in Susquehanna county, receiving a fair common-school education, and on reaching his majority farmed on his own account, and resided on the old homestead until 1866, when he bought his present farm, on which he has made the improvements. During the past twenty-five years Mr. Robertson has suffered from rheumatism to such an extent that he has been disabled from farm labor, which he has trusted to his son, Frank C. He was united in wedlock, June 1, 1848, with Laura L., a daughter of Richard and Lydia (Robinson) Jillson, natives of Connecticut; her father who was a farmer, came to Bradford in 1825, and reared a family of nine children, of whom Mrs. Robertson is the second. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson have had three children: Franklin, born September 30, 1850, married Dellie Gould, and is now operating a butter and milk store in New York City; Frank C., born May 29, 1854, in Susquehanna county, was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. After reaching his majority he engaged in farming on his own account; he was married, January 3, 1884, to Josie M. Green, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of John H. and Deborah (Bailey) Green; the farm they now own contains 145 acres, highly improved and well stocked. Mr. and Mrs. Robertson have had two children: Ethel A., born February 21, 1885; and Jennie L., born September 11, 1889, and died when about three months old; the family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church, and since becoming members they have been earnest workers. Mrs. Frank Robertson is a member of the Free-Baptist, of which denomination her father was a minister. Mr. J. W. Robertson is an uncompromising Republican; Frank is a member of the Prohibition party.
ALPHONSO L. ROBINSON, farmer and stock-grower, P.O. South Hill, was born in Orwell township, this county, April 18, 1848, a son of Linus and Clarissa (Norton) Robinson. His father was born in Orwell township, September 15, 1826, on the farm he now occupies. The grandfather was one of the first settlers in Orwell township, in 1810, and was a noted hunter; in his family there were nine children, as follows: Curtis, Daniel, Wesley, Linus, Whitmore (who was killed when a young man), Betsy (married to John Johnson), Sallie (married to Morris Woodruff), Polly (married to Frances Chubbuck) and Louisa (married to Simon Kinney). Linus assisted in clearing the old homestead, where he had always lived; his family were six in number: Emily, a widow (married to Fred Jones), Alphonso, Elmer (married to Sarah Vanness), Edmund (married to Hattie House), Berton (married to Eva Chaffee) and Mertie (married to Ernest Barnes). Alphonso L. Robinson married November 14, 1870, Rosa A., daughter of Nelson and Elizabeth (Knapp) Barnes; in her family’s family there were two sons and two daughters, viz: Loton, who died, aged four years; Emeline, married to Dr. C. H. Warner; Hiram, who entered the army at sixteen, in the One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, Company D, and was in all the work of that regiment until the battle of Gettysburg, where he was killed, and Rosa A. (Mrs. Alphonso L. Robinson). Mr. Barnes was a son of Jesse
Barnes, who was one of the very earliest settlers of Orwell township. In 1856 he built the house on the farm now occupied by Alphonso L. Robinson, in which he resided until his death, which occurred July 18, 1881, when he was aged sixty-three years. Alphonso L. Robinson spent his boyhood on his father’s farm, and attended the district schools and Orwell Hill Academy until his twentieth year. He began life for himself as a farmer, and bought his first land, known as the "Billy Warfle" farm, in 1870, and owned it until 1879, when he traded it for the "Boyd" farm, adjoining his present home; same year he removed into his present residence. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson have had two sons and five daughters, viz: Clara, born September 21, 1872; Effie, born September 17, 1874, and died April 1, 1879; Arthur, born May 7, 1880; Clarence, born March 20, 1881; Mabel, born September 17, 1884; Ethel, born September 3, 1886, died January 9, 1887; and Bessie, born May 24, 1888. Mr. Robinson owns a farm of 185 acres, has a sugar orchard of about 500 trees, and also raises a great many young cattle, sheep and hogs; he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a Prohibitionist in his political preferments.
C. B. ROBINSON, blacksmith, P.O. Wyalusing, was born in Wilmot township, Bradford Co., PA., July 23, 1853, and is a son of Chandler and Harriet (Adams) Robinson, natives of Wyoming county, Pa. The father was a farmer, and spent the greater portion of his life in Bradford county; in 1859 he removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where he died in 1862, aged forty-four years; the mother is now living at Forkston, Wyoming county. They were the parents of five children: Berkley, a farmer of Mehoopany; Mary A., married to Joseph Calligan, an employee of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, and residing in Wyalusing; Dora, residing in Cleveland, Ohio; Janette, married to Mr. Harkell, a miller, of New York, and our subject, who passed his boyhood, from six to twelve years of age, in Ohio, attending the public schools of Cleveland; then returned to Mehoopany and attended school there, after which he engaged in farming until 1877, when he began to learn his trade, blacksmithing, at which he worked four and one-half years; then went to Mehoopany, and from there to Sugar Run, where he owned a shop of his own, and was there two and one-half years; from there he returned to Mehoopany and had a shop, and stayed in that town two years, thence went to Loveton and was there one year; from there he moved to Forkston, where he remained until 1891, when he came to Taylorsville, and opened the old Swage stand, and does a general blacksmith business. Mr. Robinson married, January 21, 1874, Maxalina, daughter of A. L. Bates, a wagon-maker of Wilmot township (her mother was Catherine E. Douglass, deceased). To them were born five children: Cassie E., Georgie A., Bessie M., Willie L. and Clarence B. Mr. Robinson’s political views are Democratic.
JOEL H. ROBINSON, farmer, Warren township, P.O. Aurora, is a native of Rome township, this county, born August 25, 1839, a son of Owen and Elvira (Towner) Robinson, natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania, respectively. Owen Robinson was the son of Joel and Celia (Whitaker) Robinson, of Vermont, who came to Bradford county in 1820, settled in Warren township, and were among the pioneers and
early prominent settlers. After residing here some years Mr. Robinson removed to Candor, N.Y., where he died in 1873; his first wife had died in 1863, and he married, for his second, Mrs. Polly Stewart, who died in 1884. There were eight children by the first wife, of whom Owen, the second in order of birth, was born in Vermont, came to the county with his father’s family, and went with them to New York, thence removed to this State and county in 1835, locating in Rome township; he was a farmer and mechanic, and died in 1881; his widow survives and resides in Owego; their family of children were five in number, of whom Joel H., the subject of the sketch, is the third. He grew to manhood in Candor (whither he had gone with his family when nine years of age), and commenced life for himself, lumbering, following this twenty years. He was married in Candor, in 1863, to Nancy J., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Terwilager) Eichenburg, natives of Orange county, N.Y.; her father was a tailor, and died July 11, 1849; her mother died March 19, 1888; they had nine children, of whom Mrs. Robinson is the seventh. To Mr. and Mrs. Joel H. Robinson were born five children, as follows: Willis, married to Flora Chapman, and has one child, Joel C.; George O., of Hornellsville, N.Y.; Alonzo, of same place; Frank and Ernest. The family worship at the Methodist Church; in politics Mr. Robinson is a Republican.
ROBERT ROCKEFELLER, Windham Centre, one of the disabled retired veterans of the Civil War, and a leading farmer of Windham township, was born in Albany county, N.Y., May 24, 1824, a son of John and Ruth (Jacobs) Rockefeller, the former of whom was a blacksmith, who came to Warren township in the year 1841, and after several years, returned to New York and came again to Warren; went from Warren to Rome, where he resided until his death in 1858; his widow died in 1877. Their children were ten in number, of whom Robert, the second in order of birth, remained in Albany county until his seventeenth year, when he learned the harness-maker’s trade, which he followed ten years, and then became a blacksmith, working at his father’s forge twelve years. In 1841, along with a brother, he came to this county, farming and blacksmithing. In October, 1862, he enlisted in the Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company D, and went direct to the front with the Army of the Potomac, under Gen. Pleasanton, and afterward under Gen. Sheridan; was in the battle of the Rappahannock, and on the Rapidan River, and Shenandoah, when he was detailed blacksmith to the army transportation department, thus continuing until the war closed. He was severely sick soon after entering the service, and was in the Alexandria hospital three months; had an attack of varioloid, and was sent to Camp Distribution, where he remained four weeks, and was discharged in August, 1865; he now draws a pension; is a member of the G.A.R., Stevens Post, No. 69, Rome; he is Republican in politics, and has been school director, and he was postmaster many years at Windham Summit. Mr. Rockefeller was married twice: first to Priscilla Bullock, who born him two children: Nathaniel B., of Rummerfield, and Martin H., of Camptown; the
second marriage was with Emeline Demorest (daughter of John Kuykendall), who had two children: John R. and Ophelia B.
ALBERT N. ROCKWELL, farmer and stock-raiser, Ulster township, P.O. Ulster, was born in Ulster, this county, March 30, 1853, and is a son of Chauncy and Wealthy (Gordon) Rockwell. [See sketch of W. H. Rockwell.] His early life was spent on the farm, attending school at Ulster, where he received a good English education’ then he engaged in farming, and resides on the old homestead, which he and his brother cultivate. He was married, April 14, 1880, to Ella, daughter of Alexander and Janette (Rogers) Murdock, natives of Ayrshire, Scotland. They have one child, a son, Guy Edward, born May 30, 1888. Mr. Rockwell was formerly a member of the I.O.O.F.; he is a staunch Republican in politics.
HON. DELOS ROCKWELL, a prominent member of the Bradford County Bar, was born in Troy, Bradford Co., Pa., August 28, 1837, a son of Luther M. and Johanna M. (Marvin) Rockwell. His paternal grandfather, Samuel Rockwell, was a native of Berkshire county, Mass., and with his family moved to Canton, this county, in 1804. He died at the advanced age of eighty-eight years; his wife was Hannah Laselle, by whom he had ten children, viz.: Johanna (Mrs. Eli Parsons), Elias, Samuel James, J. Calvin and Luther M.(twins), Laban, Rufus M., Myron and Hiram. Of these, Luther M., the father of subject, was a native of Burlington, Vt., who came to Canton with his parents, in 1804, but afterward moved to Troy. In 1816, he married Johanna, a daughter of Jesse Marvin, of Monroe county, N.Y. He was the father of ten children, namely: Bingham L., Jesse M., Alvord P., Martin L., Elvira (Mrs. D. W. C. Herrick), J. Calvin, Orlando W., Hiram L., Azor S., and Delos, the subject of this sketch, who was reared in Troy, educated at Madison University, Hamilton, N.Y., and studied law with D. W. C. Bates, of Cherry Valley, N.Y., and finished his studies with the late Hon. Paul d. Morrow, of Towanda, and was admitted to the bar in February, 1862. He opened an office in Troy, the same year, and has since been in the active practice of his profession. He married, in June, 1864, Eliza B., daughter of Francis and Laura (Spalding) Smith, of Troy. Mr. Rockwell was in the Civil War, having enlisted, in June, 1863, in Company B, Twenty-sixth P.V.I., but after six weeks’ service, was honorably discharged. In 1874, he was elected State Senator from the Twenty-third District of Pennsylvania, and was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention, at St. Louis, in 1888, which nominated Grover Cleveland for a second term. Mr. Rockwell has been one of the foremost men in all school matters; he was for twenty-five years a prominent school officer of the borough and vicinity. Something of the estimate of this gentleman by his neighbors and many friends is found in the fact that, while he has always been a fearless and outspoken Democrat, yet he was elected to the State Senate, in the face of an adverse majority of 3,500 votes. He is esteemed for his many excellent qualities of head and heart, as well as for an integrity that has never even been a subject of discussion. He is a worthy representative of the family of one of the early pioneers to this part of Bradford county. It is now nearly a
EDWARD ROCKWELL, farmer and stock-grower, Ulster, was born April 19, 1849, at Cincinnatus, Cortland Co., N.Y., and is a son of Chauncy and Wealthy (Gordon) Rockwell. [See sketch of W. H. Rockwell] He was born and reared on a farm, and his education—a good one for his day—was received in the schools of Ulster; he resides on the old homestead farm with his mother. His father’s house was one of the first buildings erected in Ulster, and was pulled down, in 1868, to make room for the house in which he now resides; the old homestead farm consists of 165 acres, and is one of the finest in the valley, comprising both river and hill land, and under a magnificent state of cultivation. He and his brother, Albert, manage it in partnership, using improved farm implements, and are careful in the manner of changing their crops, making the soil richer every year. They raise from six to eight acres of tobacco yearly, besides the other crops. His father’s family consisted of nine children, seven of whom are living, six in this county; George is in Buffalo, N.Y. Edward Rockwell, who is the seventh child, resides with his mother, who was born at Standing Stone in 1814; he is unmarried, is a Republican in politics and is a good neighbor and citizen.
ELMER A. ROCKWELL, physician and farmer, Stevensville, was born near his present home, October 2, 1845, a son of Nathan and Delia (White) Rockwell, the former of whom was born, of New England origin, on the farm where Elmer A. now lives, the latter being a native of Windham, N.Y., born of New England and German Lineage: the grandfather was a Shaker. In Nathan Rockwell’s family there were five children, of whom Elmer A., the second in order of birth, was reared on a farm and educated in the common school. One July 23, 1863, he enlisted at Baltimore, Md., in Company C., Third Maryland Calvary, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out August 14, 1865, at Baltimore. He then began the study of medicine, with Dr. C. H. Warner, continuing three years, at the same time taking the course at Michigan University, where he was graduated in 1868. He practiced successively at Edenville (Mich.), Stevensville, Gladwin (Mich.), where he was register of deeds one term, and then came to Stevensville, but has practiced but little since, owning to ill health. Dr. Rockwell married Harriet E., daughter of John and Louisa (Redson) Hicks, natives of New York, and of German and American descent. He is a member of the G.A.R., Post No. 86, at Camptown, and in politics he is a Republican.
GAMAGE ROCKWELL, farmer, P.O. Burlington, was born September 13, 1863, on the farm where he now resides in West Burlington township, a son of Orlando W. and Mary (Gamage) Rockwell, of English origin and natives of this county; the former was born in