History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
FRANK G. SAIRS, foreman of the riveting department, Union Bridge works, Athens, is a native of Ithaca, N. Y., and was born January 29, 1854. His parents are Leonard B. and Malinda (Munson) Sairs, natives of New York, and now residents of Athens; his grandfather Munson was a soldier in the War of 1812. The subject of this sketch is the fifth in the order of birth in a family of nine children, of whom seven are living. When he was two years old the family moved to Halsey Valley, N. Y., and when he was aged seven years they immigrated to Potter county, Pa., whence, after remaining there a short time, they moved to Owego, N. Y. While there Mr. Sairs went to work at the Buffalo Bridge Works, continuing thereat nearly two years. On March 2, 1874, he came to Athens, where he found, the day after his arrival, employment in the Bridge Works, and has since been with that company, except from February, 1881, to February, 1882, during which period he was employed at the Youngstown Bridge Works, Youngstown, Ohio. In April, 1882, he was promoted to his present position. Mr. Sairs was married in Owego, N. Y., in 1874, to Miss Isabel P. Wright, who was born in Owego, N. Y., November 22, 1853, daughter of H. N. and Jane (Courtright) Wright, natives of Nichols and Weltonville, N. Y., respectively. Mr. Wright, who was a pattern-maker by trade, died in Owego in June, 1887; his widow resides with her daughter, who is the only surviving one of a family of three children. To Mr. and Mrs. Sairs have been born two children, Harley W. and Leslie M. Mr. Sairs is a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70; also of the Sons of Veterans; Captain of John Griffin Camp, No. 30; is president of the Third Ward Fire Company, and secretary of the school board. Politically, he is a Republican.
JOHN F. SANDERSON, attorney at law, No. 118 Diamond street, Pittsburgh, Pa., was born in New Brunswick, N. J., April 21, 1853, and is a son of Henry and Mary S. (Myer) Sanderson, the former of Scotch-Irish and the latter of Dutch and Irish origin. His father, an artist by profession, had, by a former wife, three children, one of whom, Annie, wife of Albert L. Sweet, of Chicago, survives, and by the second wife he had two children: Kate (now deceased), who married Dr. Edward J. Abell, of Coal City, Ills.; and John F. The subject of this sketch was brought to Athens township, this county, by his mother, in 1854, after which time to 1869 they made their home with his grandmother. He was educated in the commons schools of Bradford county, and in a grammar school at Newark, N. J. In 1869 he secured a position as clerk in the First National Bank of Towanda, where he remained until October, 1873; he read law with William
Foyle and James Wood, and was admitted to the Bradford County Bar in May, 1874, where he practiced law until January 1, 1891, when he formed a partnership with United States District Attorney Walter Lyon and Charles H. McKee, of Pittsburgh. In 1876 he was admitted to the Bar of the United States Supreme Court; he is also a member of the Bar of United States Courts of the Eastern and Western Districts of Pennsylvania. Mr. Sanderson was married November 26, 1872 to Miss Celinda M., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Stone) Griffis, of Towanda, and they have had six children: William G., born August 20, 1873; Evangeline, born May 12, 1875, died in Harrisburg, January 2, 1889; Katharine, born May 17, 1877; Elizabeth, born March 3, 1879; Jonathan, born January 23, 1883; Beulah, born July 11, 1886. Mr. Sanderson is an ardent adherent of the Republican party; in March 1887, he was appointed, by Governor Beaver, Deputy Attorney-General of Pennsylvania, which position he held until January 20, 1891, the end of Governor Beaver’s administration.
C. H. SATTERLEE, book-keeper for Fitch & Kinney’s hardware store, Athens, is a native of Sheshequin township, this county, born February 15, 1849; a son of Elisha and Emily (Briggs) Satterlee. Elisha Satterlee, who was a merchant and farmer, removed, in 1865, to Lock Haven, Pa., and engaged in the lumber business; he died in Sayre, this county, March 9, 1881, in his seventy-first year; his widow died December 10, 1890. Great-grandfather Col. Elisha Satterlee was an officer in the Revolutionary War, and was one of the poineer settlers of Athens township, this county. Uncle John F. Satterlee was in the Government service. C. H. Satterlee is the fifth in order of birth in a family of seven children, of whom five are now living. He was reared in Athens from the time he was four years old, and received an academic education in the old historic academy of the place; he went with his parents to Lock Haven in 1865, and was engaged in the lumber business there until 1869, when he went to Duluth, Minn., where he was engaged in merchandising about two years; from there he went to Annapolis, Md., and had charge of D. W. Smith’s lumber yard about two years; thence moved to Washington, D.C., and followed the same business about one and one-half years; then returned to Lock Haven, and was in the lumber trade some time; then came to Sayre and worked for the L. V. R. R. Co. four years, and in April, 1883, came to Athens, where he accepted the position he now holds with Fitch & Kinney. Mr. Satterlee was married in Mansfield, Pa., February 6, 1873, to Miss Nettie, daughter of Albinas and Harriet (Seeley) Hunt, natives of Pennsylvania. Albinas Hunt was a merchant and died in Mansfield in 1876. Mrs. Hunt survives him and resides with her daughter Mrs. Satterlee, who is the eldest in the family of two children, born in Mansfield, July 3, 1849. To Mr. and Mrs. Satterlee were born three children, of whom W. F. is the only one living. Mr. and Mrs. Satterlee are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is trustee and secretary and treasurer. He is a member of the F. & A. M., Annapolis Lodge, No. 89. He is a Republican, and has served one term as councilman in Athens borough.
Elias afterward practiced medicine at Elmira. Benedict was a school teacher at Athens as early as 1791, subsequently removing to Mount Morris, N. Y. Nathaniel and Samuel settled in Smithfield. Elisha, together with Col. John Franklin, assisted in laying out the township of Athens, and was actively identified with the early history of the county. He married Cynthia Stevens, by whom he had three children: John Franklin Satterlee, Sr., who was eleven months old when the new settlement was established; Lemira, who married Harry S. Spalding; Aurelia, who married Robert Spalding.
John Franklin, Sr., was for years a prominent and influential citizen of Athens, actively engaged in the material progress of the county and town in which he lived until his death, February 11, 1856. He was a merchant from 1812 to 1817, and subsequently kept the old hotel at Athens. During most of his business life he dealt quite extensively in lumber, which he rafted to the markets of the lower Susquehanna and Baltimore. He established and maintained the first ferry across the Susquehanna, at Athens, which was abandoned when the bridge was built, about 1840. For several years, during the latter part of his life, he was a justice of the peace, and engaged in farming, on the old settlement on the east bank of the river. He, early (about 1808), became associated with the Masonic Fraternity, was a charter member of Rural Amity Lodge, F. & A. M., and for several years was the Master, never ceasing to take great interest in the Order until his death. While he never held, nor sought, political office, he was an active worker, and in the campaign of 1844 stumped the county for Henry Clay. John Franklin Satterlee, Sr., married, December 25, 1808, Julia Prentice, by whom he had five children: Orin D.; Elisha; Anna P., who married Horace Kinney; Cynthia L., who married Edward Ovenshire; and Julia P., who married George Stevens. His second wife was Elizabeth Marshall, by whom he had five children: Sarah, who
married James Lemon, of Waverly, N. Y.; John Franklin, Jr.; Elizabeth, who married Dr. John A. Thomson, of Wrightsville, Pa.; Lucy, who died at sixteen; Marion B., who married William R. Schuyler, who has been acting deputy collector of the Port of Philadelphia for several years.
John Franklin Satterlee, Jr., born April 14 1829, spent his boyhood on his father’s farm, and was educated in Athens High School. He engaged in business for himself when he was eighteen years old; at twenty-four he began farming on the old Satterlee place, where he remained until 1868, when he removed his family to Waverly. He then engaged in contracting in Brooklin, and, in 1869, removing to Monroeton, commenced lumbering on the mountains to the south and west of the town. In 1889 he was appointed special agent in the General Land Office of the Interior Department, in which capacity he has been stationed in various States west of the Mississippi, in New Mexico and Florida, and at present is on duty at Gainesville, Florida. He was married, October 18, 1853, to Lucy E., daughter of Horace and Minerva (Atkins) Booth. Three children are the result of this union; Charles Booth, born March 26, 1855; Mary Eloise, born August 5, 1857, married Robert D. Drake, for many years associated with the Lehigh Valley Railroad (they have one child, Lucie Satterlee Drake, born February 8, 1891); and the youngest of the Satterlee family, Robert Harris, born June 12, 1859, is now engaged in the clothing business in Minneapolis, and also interested in the St. Paul Knitting Works.
Charles Booth Satterlee was educated in Athens High School, Waverly Institute, and Susquehanna Collegiate Institute at Towanda. In 1872, he was appointed a cadet at the United States Military Academy, at West Point, N. Y., where he graduated in 1876, and was commissioned as second lieutenant, Third Artillery, U. S. Army. Since entering the army, he has been on duty in various parts of the United States: in 1876, in South Carolina, during the then political excitement; in Pennsylvania, in 1878, during the labor riots; from 1878 to 1880, he was on duty at the United States Artillery School, where he graduated; in 1881, he was with the Light Battery of his regiment on its march from New York to Yorktown and return, a distance of 901 miles; in 1882, in Arkansas, under special instructions of the Secretary of War, making estimates of the destitution incident to the overflow of the Mississippi river, and, again, in 1884, in Louisiana, distributing Government rations to destitutes. He was promoted first lieutenant in 1883, which rank he still holds in the service. From 1882 to 1883, he was professor of military science at the Orchard Lake Military Academy, Michigan. He served at the headquarters of his regiment, at Washington, D. C., from 1885 to 1891. In 1887, Lieut. Satterlee was appointed the regimental quartermaster, and, later, the adjutant of the Third Artillery, serving as such until 1891, when, by direction of the War Department, he was ordered to Georgia for duty in connection with the militia, and was designated by the Governor to act as assistant adjutant and inspector general of the State.
ALBERT W. SAVAGE, blacksmith, Wyalusing, was born in Somersetshire, England, May 14, 1845, a son of Joseph and Rhoda
LEWIS SAXE, farmer, Wilmont township, P. O. Wilmot, was born in Wilmot,
this county, February 14, 1845, a son of John and Lucretia (Leapfrum) Saxe, natives of Germany. Our subject was reared on a farm, educated in the common schools, and at the age of twenty-one commenced life for himself, lumbering and farming, which he carried on until 1874, when he gave up the lumbering business and has since made farming his only occupation. He was married January 6, 1870, to Lizzie, daughter of John Biddle, of Wilmot, who died July 8, 1874, and April 25, 1876, Mr. Saxe married Hannah Suber, who was born in Sullivan county, Pa., April 19 1852, a daughter of Benjamin and Caroline (Hoffa) Suber, of Sullivan county, Pa. Mr. and Mrs. Saxe have had born to them four children, viz.: Lulu May, born April 5, 1877; John Leonard, born October 30, 1879, and died July 30, 1880; Benjamin Thaddeus, born June 23, 1881, and Edith Lucretia, born April 13, 1888. Mr. Saxe is a Roman Catholic, and is an enthusiastic follower of the Democratic party.
ADOLPHUS SAXTON, farmer, P. O. Granville Centre, was born September 22, 1834, in Granville township, this county, on the farm where he now resides, and is a son of Henry and Julia (Bailey) Saxton. His paternal grandparents, Benjamin and Susie (Corbin) Saxton, came from the New England States in 1807, and lived and died there; the maternal grandfather, Ezra Bailey, was also a pioneer of Granville township. The father of subject, who was born in Bradford county in 1808, cleared and improved the farm occupied by subject, and died there. His children were Matilda (Mrs. Alfred Putnam), Adolphus, Sophia (Mrs. Loren M. Leonard), Burton, Myra, Solomon (died while a prisoner in the Civil War) and Franklin. Adolphus Saxton was reared on the old homestead where he has always resided. He married, September 19, 1858, Jeanette, daughter of George and Catherine (Davis) Catlin, of Granville township, and has two children: Kate (Mrs. Dr. Pratt J. Smith) and Belle. Mr. Saxton is a well-known and prominent farmer of Granville township; is a member of the Church of Christ, and in politics he is a Republican.
CHARLES H. SAXTON, farmer, of Granville township, P. O. Granville Summitt, was born in Granville township, this county, July 5, 1850, and is a son of Benjamin and Delight (Holcomb) Saxton. He was reared in Granville, where, with the exception of three years, during which he lived in New York, he has always resided. He was educated in the common schools, and served an apprenticeship of two and one-half years at the carpenter’s trade, but most of his life has been spent in farming. On December 25, 1873, he married Emma, daughter of Samuel and Mary (McNaught) Merritt, of Granville. Mr. Saxton is one of the enterprising farmers of Granville, is a member of the I. O. O. F., and in politics is a Republican.
FRANKLIN SAXTON, farmer, Granville township, P. O. Granville Centre, was born in Granville, this county, September 20, 1845, and is a son of Henry and Julia (Bailey) Saxton. His paternal grandparents were Benjamin and Susie (Corbin) Saxton, who settled in Burlington township, this county, in 1804, and his maternal grandfather, Ezra Bailey, was also a pioneer of Granville. The subject of these lines were reared in Granville, where he has always resided, and has occupied the farm where he now resides since 1873. He married, September 11, 1872, Ella, daughter of Samuel A. and Hannah (Holcomb) Rockwell, of Granville, and they have five children as follows: Henry, George, Clara, Ruby and Willis. Mr. Saxton was in the Civil War, having enlisted January 4, 1864, in Company F, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, participated in nearly all the battles of the regiment while in the service, and was honorably discharged August 13, 1865. He is a member of the Church of Christ, of the G. A. R. and I. O. O. F., and in politics he is a Republican.
OSCAR SAXTON, a prominent farmer of Granville township, P. O. Granville Centre, was born in Granville township, this county, July 11, 1832, and is a son of Benjamin and Delight (Holcomb) Saxton. His paternal grandparents were Benjamin and Susie (Corbin) Saxton, natives of Massachusetts and Connecticut, respectively, who came to Bradford county in 1804, and in 1807 settled in Granville township. His maternal grandfather was Truman Holcombe, a pioneer of Uster township. The subject of this memoir was reared in Granville township, and educated in the common school. He served an apprenticeship at the mason’s trade, which he followed fifteen years, and has since been engaged in farming. He was in the Civil War, enlisting August 30, 1864, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, and was honorably discharged from the service July 2, 1865. In 1856 he married Persis, daughter of Sullivan and Phebe (Bailey) Morse, of LeRoy township, and they have three children: Dayton L., Ada L. (Mrs. Licher Ross) and Robert A. Mr. Saxton is a member of the Disciple Church. In politics he is a Repulican.
SOLON J. SAXTON, farmer, Granville township, P. O. Granville Centre, was born in Canton township, this county, September 11, 1834, and is a son of Benjamin and Delight (Holcomb) Saxton. His paternal grandparents, Benjamin and Susie (Cobin) Saxton, natives of New England, came to Bradford county in 1804, and settled in Granville township in 1807. His maternal grandfather, Truman Holcomb, was
VALENTINE SAXTON, deputy United States revenue collector, and farmer, P. O. Troy, was born in Rose, Wayne Co., N. Y., November 30, 1827, and is a son of Benjamin and Delight (Holcomb) Saxton. His paternal grandfather, Benjamin Saxton was a native of Massachusetts and settled in Burlington township, this county, in 1804, but soon after moved to Granville, where he followed the blacksmith trade up to his death, which occurred in 1840, when he was aged sixty-eight; his wife was Susie Coburn, a native of Connecticut, who died at the age of ninety-three; by her he had eight children: Lucy (Mrs. Chauncey Hill, who died at the age of ninety-four), Susan (Mrs. Elam Parkhurst), Benjamin, Charles, Mary (Mrs. Henry Putnam), Henry, Sarah A. (Mrs. Albert Watkins) and Lewis D. Of these Benjamin, father of our subject, cleared a farm of 200 acres in Granville township, on which he resided until his death; his wife was a daughter of Truman Holcombe, of Ulster township, and by her he had ten children: Valentine, Lucy (Mrs. Hiram Kittle), Oscar, Solon J., Edward, Mahlon, Samantha, Susie (Mrs. C. R. Kenyon), Benjamin and Charles H. Valentine Saxton was reared in Granville township, received a limited education in the log school-house of his day, and on attaining his majority engaged in farming and butchering, in which he has since continued. In 1860 he married Polly, daughter of Darius R. and Ann (Merwin) Manley, of Troy township, and has two children: Fred and John. Mr. Saxton is member of the Disciple Church, of the F. & A. M. and I. O. O. F.; politically he is a Republican, and was appointed deputy U. S. revenue collector in the revenue District of Pennsylvania in 1890.
CHARLS G. SAYLES, carpenter and joiner and farmer, P. O. Granville Centre, was born in New Haven, Huron Co., Ohio, January 7, 1843, and is a son of Cornelius and Margaret (Townsend) Sayles, natives of the State of New York. The father, who is a wagon-maker by trade, settled in Granville township, this county, in 1853, and is still living; his children were as follows: Charles G. and William C., of whom Charles G. was reared in Granville from ten years of age. He was in the Civil War, enlisting August 24, 1861, in Company F,
Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry; was never on the sick-list nor lost a day during his term of service, except while home on veteran furlough of thirty days. He participated in the principal battles of his regiment, and was honorably discharged after four years’ service. Since the war he has been engaged at his trade and farming in Granville. Mr. Sayles married, November 19, 1873, Olivia A., dauaghter of Adam and Helen (McNeil) Innes, of Granville, and has two children: Clarence and Ethel. He is a Sir Knight Templar, and a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. In politics he is a Republican.
REUBEN L. SCHEUFLER, prioprieter of marble works, Towanda, was born near Tamaqua, Schuylkill Co., Pa., December 5, 1854, and is a son of Albright and Abigail (Lenhart) Scheufler, natives of Wurtembuerg, Germany, and Berks county, PA., respectively. He was reared in Berks county, learned the marble cutter’s trade at Hamburg, Pa., and worked as a journeyman from 1870 to 1886, when he located in Towanda, and formed a partnership with W. N. Lacey, under the firm name of Lacey & Scheufler, which partnership existed two years, when Mr. Lacey sold his interests to J. C. McCarty, and the business has since been conducted under the firm name of Scheufler & McCarty. Mr. Scheufler married, in 1874, Marcy C., daughter of Jacob and Annie (Hance) Creveling, of Hunterdon county, N. J., and has one son, Albert C. Mrs. Scheufler is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Scheufler has been a resident of Towanda since 1881; in politics he is a Republican.
J. H. SCHOONOVER, farmer, P. O. Asylum, was born (January 24, 1842), reared and educated in Terry township, this county. He is a son of Chester and Adela (Horton) Schoonover, natives of Chenango county, N. Y., and Wilmot, Bradford Co., Pa., respectively. Chester is the son of Joseph, who was also a native of Chenango county, descended from the early Dutch settlers; he removed to this county, in about 1831, when fifteen years of age, prospecting, but returned to New York and shortly afterward moved to this county with his father’s family, who for a short time located in Terry township, near Rienzi. Joseph Schoonover had a family of eight children, who helped him in the new country, for it was then a wilderness; they depended a good deal on fishing, hunting and other resources for a living while their crops were maturing; Joseph soon removed to Terrytown, where he died. In about 1840 Chester purchased a farm of 175 acres on what is know as "Vaill Hill," where he removed, and by patience, industry and economy he cleared a valuable farm, erected substantial and commodious buildings, which stand to-day as a monument to his patient toil. He was a member of and preached for the Old-School Baptists about thirty-five years; he died in September, 1884, at the age of sixty-nine years; he had been twice married and had six children, J. H. being the second by the first marriage. Besides the mind training at the common school, our subject had the advantage of sitting under the accomplished and learned Rev. David Craft, and soon becoming competent to teach, he taught in several of the district schools during the winter months, the summers being devoted to farming. On November 30, 1864, he married Miss Emily C., daughter of J. L. and Sarah P. Jones, of New Era, and there were born to them seven children,
J. M. SCHRADER, farmer, in Franklin township, P. O. Franklindale, was born in Towanda township, this county, December 24, 1837, a son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Rose) Schrader, both of whom were born in this county, spending most of their lives in Towanda township. Samuel Schrader’s family numbered nine - five sons and four daughters - all of whom grew to maturity, and several of them are now living. J. M. Schrader, the subject of the stketch, and the fifth in the family, was reared and educated in Towanda and Franklin townships, and always worked on the farm. In 1862 he married, at Granville, Miss Sallie, daughter of Russell and Jane Lindley, of LeRoy, and seven children - three sons and four daughters - were born to them: Libby, married to Frank Crane, a farmer; Estella, married to Frank Madigan, a farmer; Katie, married to John McMullen, a mechanic; Edward; Glenn; Clyde and Lottie. Mr. Schrader is an enterprising farmer, and lives on the old Schrader homestead of seventy-five acres of fertile land; he served nine months in Company C, One Hundred and Thirty-second P. V. I., in the Civil War, for which he now draws a pension: he is a member of the G. A. R. and of the Patrons of Industry; politically he is a Republican.
LOUIS J. SCHRIER, of the firm of Schrier Brothers, confectioners and cigar manufacturers, Athens, is a native of New York City, born October 19, 1856, and is a son of Louis (a cigar marker) and Elizabeth (Amrhein) Schraier, natives of Germany, who came to New York in 1854. The family came to Athens in 1883. Louis J., who is the eldest in a family of nine children, of whom six are living, received his education in the public and private schools, and learned the cigar trade early in life. In August, 1872, he went from New York to Owego, where he worked at his trade five years, and then to Elmira, one year; thence to Big Flats, and, returning to New York in 1883, he came to Athens and began manufacturing cigars, under the firm name of Schrier Bros., for the wholesale and retail trade. In July, 1890, Mr. Schrier bought the confectionery store of J. C. Minier, where he handles fruits, vegetables, confectionery, cigars and tobacco. He was married, in 1880, to Miss Josie, daughter of Richard and Harriett (Hubbard) Peck, the former a native of Orange county, N. Y., coming to Athens in 1838, and the latter of Cooperstown, N. Y., coming to this county in 1827. Richard Peck died February 10, 1881, in his seventy-ninth year;
Mrs. Peck died August 11, 1890, in her seventieth year. Mrs. Schrier is the only child, and was born in Athens January 9, 1860. To Mr. and Mrs. Schrier was born one daughter, Annie. They are members of the Episcopal Church; he is a member of the I. O. O. F., No. 165, and also of the Iron Hall, and is a Republican.
MICHAEL F. SCHUMAN, furniture contractor, Towanda, was born in Rush, Monroe Co., N. Y., October 13, 1849, a son of Michael J. and Elizabeth (Hane) Schuman, natives of Bavaria and Baden, Germany, respectively. His father came to America in 1841 and located in Pennsylvania, where he worked at the shoemaker’s trade two years; he then removed to Rush, N. Y., where he married, and in 1864 settled in Rochester, N. Y., where he still resides. Michael was reared and educated in Monroe county, N. Y., learned the cabinet-maker’s trade in Rochester, at which he worked as a journeyman ten years. In 1879 he came to Towanda, where he has since been in business as a contractor in the furniture factory of J. O. Frost Sons. He married, April 6, 1874, Mary A., daughter of Herman and Anna (Leible) Langknecht, of Rochester, N. Y., and formerly of Bavaria, Germany. The issue of this union is nine children, viz.: George, Annie, Anthony, Isabel, Mary, Fred, Frank, Albert and Joseph. Mr. and Mrs. Schuman are members of the Catholic Church; in politics he is a Democrat.
CHARLES SCOTT, farmer in Monroe township, P. O. Liberty Corners, was born in Towanda township, this county, January 31, 1839, and is a son of John and Catherine (Harris) Scott, the former a native of Trenton, N. J., and of English origin, the latter of Berwick, Pa., and of Dutch lineage. The father worked on canals and other public works near Philadelphia and Hazelton as a mechanic, and came to Brandford county about 1833, where he lived seven years, where E. W. Hale now resides; then removed to Sullivan county, where he remained three years, at which time he returned to Bradford county and settled on the farm which his son Charles now occupies, where he followed carpentering and farming until his death in 1882, at the age of seventy-eight years; he reared a family of six children, of whom Charles is the second. Subject was reared on the farm, educated in the common school, and has always been engaged in farming where he now resides. He enlisted at Monroe, August 7, 1862, in Company C., One Hundred and Forty-First P. V. I., and was with the regiment until the battle of Gettysburg, where he received a gunshot wound in the right shoulder, which disabled him two months; at the end of this time rejoined his regiment and remained with it until the battle of Petersburg, where he was wounded in the right hip. Including a furlough of forty-five days (during which time he was married), he remained in the Philadelphia Hospital until January 20, 1865, when he was discharged as first lieuttenant on surgeon’s certificate of disability. He was married November 15, 1864, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Charles and Sallie (Blauvelt) Hollon, and they had two children: Walter F., born January 6, 1866, married to Mary H. Kram, daughter of William Kram, and lives on a portion of his father’s farm; and Dora E., born April 6, 1878. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he has been trustee and steward, also superin-