History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
The father is the son of Anthony Vanderpool, a native of Holland, who came to this County when a young man; was a man of genius, and made all kinds of musical instruments; he was a mechanic, and built a mill, the first in the County, located near Hale’s mill, Towanda; his life was an eventful one, and he died at the advanced age of 100 years, after having reared a family of nine children. Henry, his son, was not as enterprising. He married Esther Vincent, and began life near Terrytown, on the Susquehanna River, as a shingle maker, but made no effort at its agricultural pursuits; he died in 1871, at 70 years of age. Nelson Vanderpool was reared and educated in Terry Township, this County, and is a wide awake Farmer, having bought the land on which his father located, into which he had no title; but which, under his watchful eye and strong arm, became a productive farm. At the age of 22, Nelson Vanderpool was married to Miss Sarah, daughter of Charles and Sally O'Connor, and there were born to them two daughters: Eunice, married to Warren Hall, a farmer of means, and Permelia (deceased). Mr. Vanderpool is much respected by the people, and was honored by being given the position of road commissioner, an office he filled satisfactorily; has also been school director. In 1864 he showed his patriotism by enlisting in Company A, 141st PVI, and defending his country in time of danger; he served until the close of the war, was honorably discharged, and now draws a pension. His daughter, Mrs. Eunice Hall, owns the farm above referred to.
George H. Van Dyke, ex-county Commissioner, Ulster, and a leading Farmer, was born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, Aug. 27, 1819, and has lived all his life in Ulster Township. In 1845 he began farming, but continued to saw and raft lumber until 1869, since which year he has devoted his time entirely to farming and dairying; he owns 160 acres of fine river land, well improved and under a high state of cultivation, and keeps a dairy of less than 12 cows. His early education was received in the common schools of his day, when the children walked five or six miles through the woods to a round log schoolhouse; in going to and returning from school the children would frequently have to run nearly all the way to keep from being late. His parents being poor, he was compelled to hard labor on the farm, and so his educational privileges were limited to three months in the year, for about four years. He accumulated his first property by the lumber business, in which he was successful. In 1845, he was united in marriage with Caroline Hutchinson; by this marriage there were two children, viz.: William, who died April 4, 1888, and Henrietta, wife of C. Ferguson, of Elmira, New York. In June, 1865, his wife died, and in September 1868, he married to Lizzie, daughter of William and Mary Willie, natives of West Virginia; there were no children by this marriage; his second wife died in January 1870, and on December 25, 1874, Mr. Van Dyke was married (the third time) to Mary Esby, daughter of John Taylor, and she died in February 1878; the fruit of this marriage was two children: James, who died December 31, 1881, and Frank. Mr. Van Dyke has for many years been a member of and earnest worker in the Presbyterian Church, holding the position of elder; in politics he has always been a Democrat, casting his first vote for Martin Van Buren; he now holds the office of county Commissioner, being on his second term; has held the office of justice of the peace for more than 20 years; and has also held various other Township offices. His father's family consisted of seven children, of whom he is the fourth, all of whom are in Ulster Township. Mr. Van Dyke has always been successful in his business, having secured an ample competence and through his own endeavors, and of the many excellent farmers of the County none stand fairer among all people.
James Van Dyke, farmer and stock grower, Towanda, was born Northumberland County, Pennsylvania, Jan. 13, 1816, a son of William and Susan (Daugherty) Van Dyke. His father's family consisted of seven children, five of whom survive, all residents of this County and Ulster Township. Mary Ann, the only daughter, is the wife of John Gillmore. William Van Dyke came to this County in 1816, and located in Towanda, shortly afterward purchasing the property known as "Hale’s mill," and afterward moved on to the farm now owned by Davis, where he died, aged 78. Our subject received his education in the Ulster schools, at a tender age, securing a fair education, for the time. His father having purchased a large track of land covered with pine forests, James and his brother George, together, erected sawmills, sawed the lumber on the farm and rafted it down the river to Port Deposit. In 1859 he retired, having purchased the farm he now occupies in 1845; that it was deep woods, but it is now one of the finest farms in the County, containing 160 acres well improved, and, with the exception of about 20 acres of wood land, is under a high state of cultivation. Mr. Van Dyke was married, Feb. 4, 1858, to Frances, daughter of Henry Reitzel, of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; they have no children. Mr. Van Dyke is one of the most successful men in the County; has secured a competence through his own exertions, and is surrounded with all the comforts of life. He is a Democrat in politics.
J.P. Van Fleet, deputy County Sheriff, Towanda, is a native of New York City, and was born July 23, 1830. His parents were Samuel C. and Deborah (Denton) Van Fleet, natives of Orange County, New York. In early life his father worked at the cooper’s trade, and later at farming. He moved to LeRoy Township, this County, in December 1837, and died here in September 1873, in his 71st year. Mrs. Deborah Van Fleet was born in 1807, and died in Towanda, December 29, 1881. Our subject is the eldest of two sons, and was reared on the farm. Shortly after he became of age he suffered from a white swelling so much that his leg had to be amputated, in 1854. He then set about preparing himself for some other business. The opportunities for acquiring an education in those days were limited, but he attended private or subscription school for some time, and then taught five terms of public school and one term of subscription school. He was married in LeRoy Township, in February 1862, to Miss Sarah A. Ingram, daughter of David and Hannah Ingram, natives of England. Mrs. Van Fleet is the fifth in a family of seven children, and was born in Monroe Township, in 1839. To Mr. and Mrs. Van Fleet were born three children: the youngest died in infancy, Fannie (deceased) and J. Monroe. Mr. Van Fleet moved to Towanda in December 1863, as deputy sheriff under J. Monroe Smith. In 1865 he was elected county treasurer. In 1869 he was elected Sheriff of Bradford County, and has been connected with the office since, except three years. Mr. and Mrs. Van Fleet are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, he is a member of the I.O.O.F., No. 167, and of the Encampment, also of the K. of P., and in politics is a Republican.
Daniel Van Gorder, was born in New Jersey, Jan. 10, 1812. About 1814 his parents located near Ithaca New York, then removed to Pennsylvania, where they resided until their deaths. Our subject removed to New York in 1822, where he engaged in farming and lumbering. In 1837 he married Sarah Bensley, and located at Factoryville, now Ellistown, New York. To them were born four children, as follows: Anna, now Mrs. A. Warner, of Chemung County, New York; Lydia, Mrs. Barney Kane, Litchfield Township; Eliza, married to John Albert, of Athens borough; and Sarah, married to William Canfield, of Athens Township. Mrs. Van Gorder died June 26, 1853. In 1855 our subject removed to Bradford County, and settled in Athens Township, where he purchased the farm he now owns and which he almost entirely cleared. August 3, 1858, he married his second wife, Maria Ann, daughter of Walter and Lucinda (Chaffee) Tucker, and granddaughter of Samuel and Azubah (Sanger) Chaffee, on her mother's side, while her paternal grandparents were Walter Tucker, Sr., and his wife, whose maiden name was Franklin, all of Woodstock, CT. Samuel Chaffee served in the Revolutionary War, and was in the division in which John Murray, one of the first preachers of Universalism in America, was Chaplin, and enjoyed the favor of hearing him preach. The Tuckers in the United States are supposed to be descendants of three brothers of that name, who came from England in 1635. Mrs. Van Gorder's parents came to Pennsylvania in the year 1822. She was born May 19, 1829. Although not a modern spiritualist, she is inclined to be visionary. When nine years of age she was living with an aunt in Massachusetts, and there saw her first vision; she sometimes writes for publications, mostly obituaries, nearly always adding some original poetry. Her marriage with Mr. Van Gorder has been without issue.
Luther C. Van Horn, farmer, PO Granville Summit, was born May 31, 1821, in Delaware County, New York, in the town of Walton, and is a son of Sydney and Amelia (Curtis) Van Horn, natives of Springfield, Massachusetts, and Bristol, CT, respectively, who settled in Troy Township, this County, in 1838, locating on the farm now owned by Lester Van Horn, which they cleared and improved, and there died; their children were as follows: Luther C., Leonard, Rachel (Mrs. William Barto), Lyman, and Lester. The subject of the sketch was reared in Delaware County, New York, until 17 years of age, when he left for Troy, this County, with a knapsack on his back (used in the War of 1812), containing his provisions, and a dollar and a half in money, arriving in his father's house with three and sixpence left. After reaching his majority he cleared a farm of 165 acres situated in Granville and Troy Townships, which he still owns, in 1856 he settled on the farm he now occupies in Granville, most of which he cleared, and made all improvements and buildings, etc. On June 15, 1842, he married Esther, daughter of Clark and Flavia Hooker, of Springfield Township, and has children as follows: Sidney, Edgar, Stanley (deceased), Emery, Ella, and Alice (Mrs. at Wesley Hanscom). Mr. Van Horn is a leading farmer of Granville; is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in politics is a Republican.
F.E. Van Loan, commercial salesman, Rome, was born in the town of Lenox, Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, Jan. 25, 1858, and is a son of Daniel and Mary Van Loan, who now reside in Athens, this County. John Van Loan, great-grandfather to F. E. Van Loan, was born in Waalwijk, Holland, and immigrated to this country with his family, locating near the spot where East Durham now stands, in Greene County, New York, about the year 1790; the wife of John Van Loan was a. weaver, and had a large loom in one corner of their log cabin, and one day, while at work at the loom, weaving the "homespun gray," a band of 12 Cahoose Indians came in, who, after plundering the cabin for eatables, left, each Indian striking his hatchet in the yarn beam of the loom, serving the warp. John Van Loan, Jr., grandfather to F. E., also lived many years in East Durham, New York, but later removed to Susquehanna County, this state, having a family of 12 children, viz.: Randsom, Thomas, John H., James, George and Jacob (twins), Daniel, Edgar, Libbie, Hattie and Kathron (twins), and Caroline. Frank's father was a farmer until 1883, when he retired from active life, and removed from his farm at North Rome to Athens, where he now resides. He was united in marriage, March 22, 1857, with Mary E. Richards, of Orwell Township, daughter of Robert Richards, whose grandfather was born in North Wales, England, and immigrated to America with his two brothers. Daniel and Mary Van Loan had two children born to them, viz.: Frank E. and Lizzie V., wife of B.E. Heath, who reside in Athens; Frank's father was a private in the War of the Rebellion, serving in the latter part of the war, under Generals Schofield and Terry, accompanying the expedition to Fort Fisher under Butler; was in Co. G., 76th Pennsylvania Volunteers, Second Division, 10th Army Corps. In November 1878, Frank, then 20 years of age, left the farm, and went to Sandwich, DeKalb County, Illinois, and at this time partook of his first meal in a hotel. He became an agent for a local sewing machine dealer, selling machines from a wagon. He remained there over a year, and then he went to Clinton, Clinton County, Iowa, having in charge the city trade for a sewing machine company. While there, Dec. 10, 1880, he was united in marriage with May F. Newhard, of Fairview, Jones County, Iowa, and returned to Bradford County in the latter part of Dec. 1880, his wife accompanying him. He remained but a short time, when he was offered and accepted a lucrative position as general traveling salesman for E. Remington and Sons, of New York City and Ilion, New York, who were interested largely in the manufacture of firearms, typewriters, sewing machines, etc., they sending him at once into the state of Wisconsin. For several years he was successfully employed traveling in the West, East, and south. In August 1885, he returned from the state of Georgia, removing his family from Athens to North Rome, where he remained with them on the homestead, working on the farm eight-years, when he accepted a traveling position with an oil refining company, which position he still occupies. He has attained a fine knowledge of the oil business, and has published a small book on the manufacture of the various oils, their adaptation, and of petroleum and its products. In the fall of 1891, Mr. Van Loan removed his family from his farm to Rome, this County. Mrs. Van Loan was born in Greenfield Township, Jones County, Iowa, Oct. 1, 1857; her father, William Newhard, came to Iowa from Ohio, where he was born; her mother, Emily McFarlane, was a native of Virginia. Mr. and Mrs. Van Loan had born to them three children, viz.: Carl F., born Aug. 31, 1881; Lizzie May Ione, born Aug. 7, 1885, and Nathaniel R., born April 19, 1888. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church. In his political views Mr. Van Loan is a staunch Republican, and takes considerable interest in politics. He is one of the best known of Bradford County's many businessmen, and is a self-made man, of whom Bradford County is justly proud.
Jacob R. Vannoy, East Troy, was born in Sanderson Township, Sussex County, New Jersey, Dec. 25, 1842, and is a son of Jacob and Maria (Ayres) Vannoy, who had a family of five children: John J., Sidney, Jefferson, Jane (Mrs. C. B. McClelland) and Jacob R., and settled in Wells Township, this County, in 1855. Jacob R. Vannoy, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Bradford County, and from 12 years of age has spent most of his life in farming, and has occupied his present farm in Troy Township, when what is known as the Loomis homestead, (now called "Bono farm"), since 1883; he was in the Civil War, enlisting Aug. 26, 1861, in Co. F. 11th Pennsylvania Cavalry; reenlisted as a veteran in same company and regiment in January, 1863, and was honorably discharged from the service as Sergeant, Aug. 22, 1865; he participated in 64 engagements, and was wounded in the hip, near Petersburg, June 9, 1864. He married Oct. 23, 1866, Rossa, daughter of Leonard and Caroline (Loomis) Upham, of Troy Township, and has two children: Fred P. and Leon O. Mr. Vannoy is a member of the Evangelical Church; Hector Lodge, No. 166, I.O.O.F., of the East Troy; Gustin Post, No. 154, G. A. R., of Troy; Patrons of Husbandry; Union Veteran Legion, Encampment No. 48; and is secretary of the Troy Farmer’s Club. In politics is a Republican
John J. Vannoy, farmer, PO West Burlington, was born in Sussex County, New Jersey, Sept. 14, 1834, a son of Jacob and Maria (Ayres) Vannoy, farmer's and natives of that County, born of Dutch and English descent, respectively. John J. Vannoy was reared on the farm, and educated in the schools of the town; was a teacher several years, and also a farmer, which occupation he has continued. When he was 21 years of age he removed to Bradford County and settled in Wells Township, where he engaged in farming and remained several years; then removed to Columbia, where he remained six years, and in 1870 he came to his present farm in West Burlington Township, which consists of 135 acres, nicely located and under a fine state of cultivation; he has an excellent dairy. Mr. Vannoy has been twice married; first time in Sept. 1861, to Harriet Baker, by whom he had five children, as follows: Milton (a farmer, married to Hattie Spencer), William, George, Myrta, and Nellie. Mrs. Vannoy died Nov. 18, 1883, and in October 1885, Mr. Vannoy married Miriam Kymer, of West Burlington, sister of Rev. M.S. Kymer, now a merchant. Our subject is a Democrat in politics, but his sympathies are with the prohibition movement. The family are consistent members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Vannoy is a man of sterling integrity, much respected by his neighbors and a wide circle of friends.
John A. VanWert, carpenter, of South Creek Township, PO Fasset, was born in Veteran Township, Chemung County, New York, July 26, 1838, a son of William and Catherine (McCann) VanWert, natives of New Jersey. William VanWert was a son of John VanWert, who was a soldier in the War of 1812. They came to this County about 1830, traveling in a lumber wagon, in company with Jehile Ayres and Thomas Ferguson, and located near Aspinwall, in Wells Township, on a farm of 100 acres, now known as the Nathan Shepherd farm. Two years later his father and brother, both named John, came to Wells and located in the same neighborhood. William was a carpenter, and, in conjunction with his farming, worked at his trade. He lived in Wells about 20 years, then removed to LeRoy, this County, and remained three years, and while there built the Baptist Church. He then moved to Fasset, where he remained until his death, which occurred in 1874, at the age of 64; he reared a family of five children, all of whom are now living. Our subject, who is the third in his father's family, was reared and educated in Fasset, and attended a few terms at a select school in Columbia. He learned the carpenter's trade from his father, with whom he worked until the death of the former. At the age of 24, in 1862, he joined Co. G., Pennsylvania Drafted Militia, and served nine months, and attained the rank of corporal, and was honorably discharged. He afterward recruited a company for the First New York Veteran Cavalry, of which he took charge, and delivered them to their command in West Virginia. During his last term of service he was promoted to corporal, and served in the commissary department as commissary Sergeant until the close of the war, and was honorably discharged. He married, for his first wife, Martha, daughter of Ammon and Alice Cook. Dec. 29, 1869; she died 10 months after their marriage; his second wife was Mrs. Mary Jane, widow of the late Benjamin Smith, whom he married Dec. 6, 1884; politically is a Democrat, as were all of his family.
Samuel Van Woert, farmer, PO Athens, was born in Athens, Greene County, New York, May 3, 1837, a son of Nicholas and Maria (VanGorder) VanWoert, the former of whom was born in Athens, Greene County, New York, the latter in Orange County, New York. John VanGorder, grandfather on his mother's side, was a Revolutionary soldier and a native of Holland. Nicholas, is a son of Jacob VanWoert, born May 6, 1799; he removed from Athens, Greene County, New York, in 1838, locating in this County and Athens Township. In 1841 or 42, he purchased a farm on "Shutliff Hill," where he made his subsequent home; he died during a short absence at Wilawana, Feb. 15, 1866; his family consisted of six children, all of whom grew to maturity. Our subject, the sixth of the family, was reared and educated in Athens Township; at the age of 19 he began business for himself, and when thirty-one years of age married, Feb. 12, 1868, for his first wife, Miss Isarella, daughter of Fred B. and Anna Weller; Nov. 25, 1874, he married his second wife, Mrs. Mary A, daughter of Samuel and Marion Spear. He is an enterprising farmer, and is a member of the Presbyterian Church.
Henry Von Wolffradt, farmer and stock grower, Ulster Township, PO Milan, born in Greifswald, Prussia, Oct. 5, 1830, is a son of Herman and Julia (Below) Von Wolffradt, natives of same place; he received his education in the Strasund schools, attending until twenty-two years old. He enlisted in the German army during the Austro German War, and remained in this service for about six months, until the war ended. His father was a farmer, and the son followed farming five years preceding his migration to America in 1868, when he located in Ulster Township, renting a farm and farming the same until 1871, when he purchased a farm a short distance from the one on which he now resides, and owns 340 acres of fine farm land in the western part of the Milan Valley, all susceptible of cultivation, in which he has improved since purchasing. He was married, in 1863, to Hedwig Baltasar, a native of Griefswald, Prussia, and there were born to them three children: Herman, William (of Athens) and Harriet. Mr. Wolffradt is a member of the Lutheran Church; and politics is a Democrat, and is one of the most extensive landowners in his Township, having quite a model farm; he is popular and widely known as among the best citizens of Bradford County.
C.H. Varguson, carpenter and contractor, Wyalusing, was born in Wysox Township, this County, May 12, 1847, and is a son of Benjamin and Clarissa (Howard) Varguson, natives of New York. His father came as a boy to Wysox and located on Pond Hill, where he married and had a family of 11 children, five of whom are yet living. C. H. Varguson, who is the fourth in the family, was born and reared on his father's farm on Pond Hill, and attended the public school at Myersburg.Upon reaching his majority he began farming, which he followed until 1879; then began teaming and the carpenter's and joiners trade, working two years each with Martin Fee and William Kingsley; then began contracting for himself and now contracts for all kinds of carpenter work. He came to Wyalusing in 1868, and five years ago purchased his present place, and built his house in barn, it being a portion of the "Old Black farm." Mr. Varguson was united in marriage, June 28, 1868, with Julia A. Hoover, daughter of Frederick Hoover, of Wyalusing (deceased), and this union was blessed with three children: Lizzie Belle, Lyda, and Harrison, who married, May 27, 1891, Anna Adams, and is living in Lester Shire, where he worked at his trade: Mr. Varguson is Independent in politics, but takes little interest in such matters.
Ira Varney, than whom there is no more highly respected citizen of Franklin Township, is a native of Luzerne Township, Warren County, New York, having been born Aug. 13, 1810. He is a son of Joseph and Mary (Hartman) Varney, and was reared on the farm, where he assisted his father in tilling the soil, also in making rafts and shipping lumber down the Hudson River. His earliest educational advantages were very meager, but after attaining his majority he attended a pay school. At the age of twenty-two he married Miss Mercy Barrows, whom lived but two months after her wedding, and two years later Mr. Varney was married to Mary Ogden, by whom he had six children--two sons and four daughters--as follows: Mercy (deceased), Ogden, Mary, Susannah, Helen (deceased) and an infant unnamed. The mother of these children died in 1884. Mr. Varney began life a poor boy, and now ranks among the most substantial men in his Township. The story of his well spent and busy life may be summed up in a few words: in 1839 he came to Bradford County as agent for an extensive lumbering firm, and their affairs he successfully managed for a period of seven years. This lumber was rafted down the Towanda Creek, and when reaching the river was made up in squares, and floated to the market. Mr. Varney relates with much pleasure, that in all his extensive shipping not one drop of whiskey was used, a thing uncommon in those days. He then commenced, for his own account, in the real estate line, making his first purchase of land in the year 1845, 140 acres, the same being his present home in Franklin Township. To this he has added, until he now owns in all 452 acres. Mr. Varney has always voted the Republican ticket, has held all the town offices of West Franklin except Justice of the peace, and was Treasurer 27 consecutive years. In his religious connections he was reared in the Quaker faith. Mr. Varney has now passed the honored age of four-score years, and both mentally and physically he is well preserved.
Edward W. Vaughan, farmer, PO Wyalusing, was born in Wyalusing Township, this County, on the old homestead, Jan. 21, 1818, a son of Elias and Sarah (Abbott) Vaughan. His father was born in what is now Wyoming County, then Luzerne, June 10, 1785, and died in Wyalusing, Nov. 1, 1865; he had 13 children, (of whom six are living), viz.; Elmer, born June 9, 1808; John, born Nov. 9, 1809; Elias, born Jan. 20, 1812; Harriet, born February 22, 1814; James, born Jan. 18, 1816; Edward W., our subject; Evander R., born October 24, 1819; Alonzo, born Aug. 15, 1821; George H., born July 2, 1823; Rhoda H., born April 9, 1825; Harriet, born Jan. 20, 1827; Mary S., born Aug. 10, 1830, and Aurelia W., born February 28, 1833. Richard Vaughan, grandfather of our subject, was a revolutionary soldier, and came to this County after the close of the war, and was the second person buried in the Wyalusing Cemetery. Edward's father was a farmer, and moved to what is known as Vaughan Hill about 1812, also lived at Rummerfield and was Postmaster there; took up 100 acres of woodland, about two acres of which were cleared, and had a log cabin on it that had been built by Mr. Charlott. He added to his farm until he had 650 acres; he followed lumbering during the winter, owned a sawmill on Stalford Creek, and during summer would farm and clear land. Before his death he had cleared at least 200 acres; he built a frame house and barn, both of which have been destroyed; he was an old school Baptist, and at his house religious services were held prior to the building of the church. He filled various offices and was an important factor in the early settlement; he also held a captain's commission in the State Militia, was a large landowner and an industrious and enterprising man, and always endeavored to develop his section of the country.
Edward W. Vaughan passed his boyhood in the wilderness, assisting his father in clearing and farming; attended school at Wyalusing and at the Vaughan schoolhouse, also down at Fairbanks, frequently going three miles to school. He passed his whole life here, clearing and farming, living on and owning a portion of his father's estate, and has 145 acres nearly all cleared, with the necessary buildings and improvements, and has his farm under a high state of cultivation. He married, July 12, 1849, Almira, daughter of Samuel Cox, a farmer of Vaughan Hill, and they have a family of five children: George H., married to Mary Daley, resides in Fremont, Nebraska, where he is deputy sheriff; Fremont and Almira (twins, later deceased): Emma, married to be E. L. Condon, foremen in the paint department of a car shop at St. Paul, and William, married to Elizabeth Haney, and living on the old homestead. Mr. Vaughan is a member of the White Lily Lodge, No. 808, I.O.O.F., Wyalusing, and has passed all the chairs; he is a Republican, and has filled nearly all the Township offices.
James C. Vaughn, farmer and stock grower, Wyalusing Township, PO Wyalusing, who was among the pioneers of Wyalusing Township, was born on the old Vaughn homestead (now in possession of Lyman Overton), Jan. 18, 1816. His grandfather was born in England, and came to this country when a young man, married, and had the following children: William, who was a number of years a naval officer, and resided at Sacket’s Harbor, New York, participating in the War of 1812, commanding a sloop of war; Robert, settled in Canada; Richard, also of Canada, but removed to Rochester, where he died; Elias, father of subject; Justice; Polly, married to Walter Seaman; Phoebe, married to William Eddy, and located in Canada; Anna, married to Daniel Coolbaugh, of Wysox Township, and Rhoda, married to Daniel Martin, also of Wysox. Elias Vaughn removed from Wyoming to Laceyville, Luzerne County, when 16 years of age, where his father died; he and his mother moved to Rummerfield, where he was connected with a corps of man, engaged in constructing a government road through Allegheny County, New York, and they there met and married Sarah Abbott; he returned to Rummerfield, and was Postmaster of the place, making his home there until after the close of the War of 1812; he owned a farm, which he traded for his property on Vaughn Hill; after the birth of his daughter Eleanor, John and Elias, he removed to Vaughn Hill, where he owned 800 acres of land, built a sawmill and began clearing and lumbering, rafting his lumber down the Susquehanna. In 1838 he built a large house, which was constructed of three-inch plank, which was a fine substantial farmhouse; this house stood in good condition until six years ago, when it was destroyed by fire. James C. Vaughn, the subject of this sketch, who is the eldest survivor of the family, passed his boyhood on the old farm, and attended the common school at Wyalusing. He spent his early life assisting his father in clearing the farm and lumbering, also in rafting the same down the river; he took possession of his first farm, which is the one now owned by William Boyd, in 1841, where he resided seven years; then traded with his father for the farm he now owns, which he has cleared and improved to its present state of excellence this farm contains 120 acres of beautiful and fertile land. He was united in marriage, in 1843, with Elizabeth Ann, second in the family of seven children of Joseph and Sarah (Spalding) Gamble. To Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn have been born seven children, viz.; Elwood L., born Oct. 6, 1844, married to Lois L. Fuller, of Camptown, and died May 19, 1872; Sarah E., born Sept. 3, 1846, married to Nelson C. Dyer, farmer, of Abilene, Kansas; Joseph G., born Aug. 22, 1848, of Kingston, Pennsylvania; Charlotte A., born June 10, 1851, married to W. R. Safford of Kingston; Richard, born June 27, 1853; Orrilla W., born April 21, 1855, and Ralph B. born May 9, 1859, of Kingston, Pennsylvania, married to Rilla Major. Mr. and Mrs. Vaughn are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Wyalusing, of which he is Steward; in politics he is a Republican, has filled numerous Township offices, and while firm in his political opinion has never been an aggressive politician; he is one of Bradford's most successful farmers, receiving but little aid outside of his own resources; he has during his life amassed a fortune ample for his needs.
Uri N. Verbeck, carpenter, East Troy, was born in Litchfield, this County, July 29, 1836, a son of William and Lucretia (Norton) Verbeck. His paternal grandfather, Henry Verbeck, a native of Mohawk Valley, New York, settled in Windham Township, this County, in 1808, cleared and improved a farm and died there. He married a Miss Dunham, by whom he had nine children: William, Philip, Henry, Sylvanus, Abigail, Lydia, Sarah, Elizabeth, and Matilda; of these, William, the father of the subject of this sketch, was a carpenter by trade; he spent most of his life in Bradford County, resided in East Troy 41 years, and died there in March, 1890, at the age of 89; his wife was a daughter of Henry Norton, of Sheshequin Township, this County, formerly of Connecticut, and the soldier of the Revolution; by her he had six children: Almira (Mrs. J. Warren Park), Jonathan D., Marjery, Uri N., Arlette (Mrs. Marvin Leonard) and Eli. Uri N. Verbeck was reared in Bradford County, and educated in the public schools at Elmira, New York. He learned the carpenter's trade in East Troy, which he followed for 18 years, and has since been working at wagon-making. He was in the Civil War, enlisting in September 1861, in Co. C., 7th Pennsylvania Cavalry, was wounded at the battle of Gallatin, Tennessee, and participated in 53 battles and engagements of his regiment, was promoted to Corporal in the winter of 1862, was for a year commissary Sergeant, and