History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
first steam gristmill that was ever erected in Towanda; in 1868 he sold out and went to Ulster, where he purchased the Holcomb mill, running it until 1872, when he built the Ulster steam gristmill; in 1878 he added the roller process in this mill, for the manufacturer of wheat flour. He has retired from active business. In 1857 Mr. Wells was married to Mary, daughter of G. H. Mason, of Towanda, and by this marriage they were three children: Cora and Ida (twins), and Charles A., a printer. Mrs. Wells died in May 1865, and Mr. Wells afterward married Mrs. Amelia (Birdsall) Payne, by which marriage there are three children: Emma J., Jennie V., and Kate. Mr. Wells is a member of the G. A. R., being one of the charter members of Gilmore Post, No. 227, and senior vice commander. He has always voted the Republican ticket. When Mr. wells was enlisted in the service, his name was spelled "Welles" on the books and papers, and he has never succeeded in getting it entirely corrected on the records. He draws a pension for injuries received in the service. The maternal grandparents of Mrs. Amelia (Birdsall) Wells were of French origin, and on her father's side they were English, by name of Betts, three brothers taking passage on the "Mayflower," the second trip she made to this country. Mrs. Wells’ is first husband, J. Arthur Payne, enlisted in the union service March 24, 1864, died April 24, 1864, and is buried at Monroeton, this County.
J. M. Wells, Farmer, PO New Era, was born, June 18, 1843, reared and educated at Terry Township, this County, a son of Daniel and Ruey (Strong) Wells, the former of whom was born in Terry June 27, 1820; the latter was born in Northumberland, Wyoming County, Pennsylvania, April 14, 1825; they were married Feb. 3, 1841. Daniel Wells is the son of Samuel, who was a native of Rhode Island and a shoemaker by trade, who removed to this County as early as 1778, at that time a young man; it is said that he owned most of Tarrytown, 400 acres, but by some mismanagement he lost possession of it, and is now owned by the Terrys. Like all early settlers, he did not confine himself to shoemaking, but worked at other business. His family consisted of nine children. Daniel was adopted by major John Horton, with whom he lived until of age, when he married Miss Ruey Strong. To them were born 13 children - - six daughters and seven sons -- -- all of whom grew to maturity; his grandchildren No. 56. He began with nothing but by hard work, energy, patience, and the cooperation of a devoted wife, he left behind him a large property, bequeathing to five of his sons a productive farm; he was extensively engaged in the lumber trade, and during the war took a fair advantage of the high prices; he lived in Terry Township his entire life, with the exception of five years spent in Columbia County, this state; he held the office of justice of the peace nine years, showing the confidence and trust reposed in him. The subject of this memoir is the second son, and, like his progenitor, is a successful man in business and a practical farmer. At the age of 19 (in 1862) with his brother George, whose age was 20, he entered the Army as a member of Co. A., 141st PVI, for the term of three years, or during the war. J. M. was honorably discharged, on account of disability, and now enjoys a life pension. On Feb. 22, 1872, when 28 years of age, he was married, at Wysox, by Rev. David Craft, to Adelia A., daughter of James and Amanda Furman; by this marriage there was born, Jan. 10, 1873, one son, Herbert. Mrs. Adelia Wells died Jan. 24, 1874, age 23 years, and for his second wife Mr. Wells married, Aug. 11, 1875, Miss Mary J., daughter of Dr. J. M. and Lydia Furman, a cousin of his first wife, by which marriage there were born four children, viz.: Anna A., Burtie G., Daniel F., and Jessie M., all of whom are living and unmarried. Mr. Wells, who is an extensive farmer, owns 225 acres of fertile and productive land, 200 of which are cleared; his dairy is large, and he makes that branch a specialty, and his stock is of the Jersey breed; it is said that there is iron ore on his farm; he is a member of the G. A. R., and a Democrat politically.
Levi Wells, farmer and dairyman, PO Spring Hill, was born October 20, 1832, a son of Chester and Rebecca (Hines) Wells, natives of Bradford County, the father born at Merryall. Chester Wells was a farmer by occupation, and a pioneer of the Spring Hill section of Tuscarora, while that country was a dense wilderness that he was under the necessity of marking the trees so as to find his way back to Merryall settlement; he located on a farm on Spring Hill, built himself a log cabin and commenced to clear a farm; he was a typical pioneer and made a competency from the farm and timber; he followed lumbering to a considerable extent, assisting in building the old slide down the hill to Ingram’s mill, just above Camptown, and would send his logs down the slide, have them sawed at Ingram's mill, and then float the lumber down Wyalusing Creek and rafted it down the river. At his death he owned about 200 acres of well- improved land. His family consisted of five children, viz.: Clara H., married to John Bradford, merchant (deceased), late of Gold's Ferry, Connecticut; W. W., merchant tailor and coal dealer, of Webster City, Iowa; Eleanor J., married to Hiram Taylor, now residing at Cawker City, Kansas; E.C., residence, Newark, New Jersey, and Levi, the subject of this sketch.
Levi Wells was born and reared on the farm he now occupies, and was educated in the common schools, LeRaysville Academy and Wyoming Seminary. At the age of 17 he began teaching, and taught 10 years during the winter seasons, devoting his attention to farming and stock growing during the summer; he also became a practical surveyor, and has spent considerable time in the practice of that profession. He now owns 240 acres of finally improved farmland, 200 acres being the old homestead. He makes a specialty of dairying, having recently completed a commodious stock barn, with a capacity of from 50 to 60 cows, and has it filled with choice Jersey stock. He has been using Jerseys in his dairy since 1871, and is a pioneer of the breeding of that grade of stock in the County; he ships the cream from his own and several of his neighbors dairies to New York City and Philadelphia. Mr. Wells was married, Jan. 21, 1861, to Helen S. Jones (deceased September 15, 1887), a daughter of Edward Jones, of Pike Township, and this union was blessed with six children: N. J., now in the Wyalusing Creamery; Chester, a cadet at the naval military academy at Annapolis, Maryland (he received his appointment to the cadetship in 1887, and will graduate with the class of 1893); Guy, and Maud at home; Fanny T. and Harry B. (deceased). In 1861 Mr. Wells became a member of the 12th reserve band, and went to the front; after about five months service he was discharged and returned home; in 1863, he became Captain of Co. G., 36th Regiment Pennsylvania Militia, and served two months; in 1864, he received a commission as Captain United States Volunteers, and served on General Duvel’s staff during Sheridan's campaign in the Shenandoah Valley. In February 1865, he was transferred to the Army of the Potomac, and assigned to duty on the staff of General Ramsey, commanding the Fourth Brigade, First Division, Second Army Corps, and was with him until the surrender of Lee, except when, for a short time, a prisoner of war; from that time until his discharge in August, 1865, he was on staff of General Pierce of a provisional Corps organized for duty in the South whenever the exigencies of the times might demand their presence; was appointed Commissary of subsistence with a rank of Captain, May 18, 1864, and brevetted major, for efficient and meritorious service, Aug. 9, 1865. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and is an A.Y.M., Franklin Lodge, No. 263, Laceyville; a member of Jackson Post, No. 74, G. A. R., Wyalusing. Politically Mr. Wells is identified with the Republican Party, and has always been a prominent factor in politics in his section. In the bitter campaign of 1890, he was candidate for sheriff on the straight Republican ticket.
Markle C. Wells, music and sewing machine dealer, Towanda, was born in Jackson Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, July 30, 1844, and is a son of Benjamin and Eliza (Updike) Wells, of English and German descent. His paternal grandfather, Norman Wells, was a pioneer of Wysox, in this County, where he married Elizabeth Coolbaugh. He was many years engaged in lumbering and merchandising at Daggett’s Mills, Tioga County, and in later life removed to Jackson Township, in that County, and died there; he was a prominent politician of his day, was a Whig, and a natural orator. The maternal grandfather was Foster Updike, of Holland and Dutch extraction, and a pioneer of Jackson Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. The lineage of the Updike family is traceable back to the 13th century. Benjamin Wells, father of our subject, was a native of Barrington, Yates County, New York, and for eight years was the Captain of the militia company. He was for many years engaged in the lumber business in Tioga County, and died in Jackson Township, that County. Markle C. Wells was reared in Tioga County, and educated in the common schools and what is now the State Normal School, at Mansfield, and began life as a teacher in the common schools, and later, for four years, was employed in different capacities in the lumber business. During the late Civil War he was a government sutler two years, and then engaged in the mercantile trade at Lamb’s Creek, Tioga County, and later at Daggett’s Mills. For a time he was a bookkeeper for a business house at Owego, New York, and spent one year at Corning, New York, as local and traveling agent for the Howe Sewing Machine Co., and in 1873 settled in Towanda, where he has since been engaged as a dealer in sewing machines and musical merchandise. He married, Oct. 23, 1872, Mable, a daughter of Asher and Betsy (Silvernail) Armstrong, of Owego, New York, and had three children, as follows: Nellie, Harry B., and Fred B. Mr. Wells is trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and is a member of Owego Lodge, F. & AM, No. 587, Owego, New York. Politically he is Independent.
S. M. Wells, farmer and mechanic, Orwell Township, PO Herrickville, was born in Orwell, Nov.11, 1834, and is a son of Henry and Betsy (Baily) Wells, the former of whom was born in this County, was a mechanic and a noted singing teacher, having taught many years; he removed to Illinois, where he died in 1850; he had seven children, viz.: Elmira, married to Allen Brown, and died several years later; Mary C., married to F. Walker, and died in 1890; S.M.; Chester, in Dakota; Charles, deceased; Henry, and Florida; Abigail, married to Fred Newcome, of Iowa. S. M. passed his boyhood attending the common schools; he learned the carpenter and joiner's trade, which he followed until May 13, 1861, when he enlisted in Co. F., 5th Regiment Pennsylvania Reserves, and served until June 11, 1864, when he was discharged. He was in nearly every engagement in which the Army of the Potomac was involved during the time of his service, except the battle of Antietam, being in the hospital at that time, and was in the battle of Drakesville, the Peninsula Campaign, the battles of Second Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, and in numerous minor engagements. During the battle of the Wilderness (5th day) he received a shell wound in the calf of the leg, and at Bethesda Church he received a shell wound in the head, which fractured his skull which still gives him great trouble. Leaving the Army, he resumed his trade until 1882, when his health became impaired, and he was obliged to retire; he owns a small farm. Mr. Wells has been twice married, the first time to Anna Matilda, daughter of John Murphy, and to whom were born the following children: Charles, married to Josephine Warner; Grove, married to Flora Allis; Alonzo, married to Flora Cogswell Burton; John, and Ora. The mother of these children died Aug. 8, 1889, and July 5, 1890, Mr. Wells married Susanna Roberts, widow of Joshua Roberts. Mr. Wells is a member of the Baptist Church, and of the I.O.O.F., Rome Lodge, having passed all the chairs; he was a charter member of the G. A. R. Post at Herrickville, and is a Republican. Mr. Wells saw as much hard service while in the Army as almost anyone, and returned suffering from the effects of his wounds and exposure. The government granted him a pension of $12 a month.
John S. Westbrook, farmer, PO Macedonia, was born in Standing Stone, May 10, 1835, and is a son of Isaac and Deborah (Smith) Westbrook, natives of the County, of German ancestry; he was reared on his father's farm and educated in the schools of his native Township, and then taught sometime, and when yet a young man commenced contracting on public works, and was about 16 years engaged in building railroads, and among other jobs was one on the Union Pacific Railroad. Aug. 26, 1866 he married Mary E., daughter of Philip and Hannah, (Sherry) Henry, natives of this state, and who were born in September 1845. There have been born to them three children, two of whom are living: William H., born Aug. 16, 1871, and Robert A., born October 12, 1878. Mr. Westbrook came to Asylum Township, in 1854, commenced farming, and is now the owner of several farms, of a total of 250 acres, and by economy and industry is rated as one of the solid and substantial citizens. He has been a Democrat many years, but is at present Independent, and votes for the best man; has held positions of public trust, and is now a school director and the town commissioner.
O. B. Westgate, carriage manufacturer, Canton, is a native of West Burlington Township, near the Troy Township line, this County, having been born at May 4, 1833, a son of Wanton and Betsy (Headley) Westgate, natives of Massachusetts and New Jersey, respectively. Wanton Westgate was a blacksmith by trade, and also followed farming, having settled in West Burlington about the year 1815; was born October 15, 1789, and died in Granville Township, March 17, 1839. Mrs. Westgate, a daughter of James Headley, was born Nov. 21, 18 --, and died May 27, 1873. She was a cousin of P. T. Headley, an author of the " History of the Rebellion," and also a cousin of P. C. Headley, an author, both of whom were educated for the ministry. Our subject, who is the younger of two sons (his brother, who was the elder, died at aged 15), was reared in West Burlington, attended school three months, but received a principal part of his education from his mother who taught school over 15 years. He served an apprenticeship at the house painter's trade in Troy, and during the winter taught singing schools to the western part of the County, and also played the clarinet in bands. He removed to Monroeton, and was engaged in the manufacture of wagons five years; thence went to Troy, and was there engaged in the grocery business one year; then moved to Towanda, and worked at carriage painting one year; returning to Monroeton, he worked at house painting one year; then was again in Towanda for a short time, and thence returned to West Burlington, where he still owns the old homestead. At the end of two years (in 1870), he removed to Canton and began the manufacture of carriages, which has since been his occupation. In the spring of 1886 he started a harness shop, which he still carries on. Mr. Westgate was married April 26, 1865, to Emma, daughter of Benjamin H. and Lucy (Crippen) Steevens, natives of New York; her father, a farmer by occupation, was born April 20, 1805, settled in Troy Township in early life; was married (the second time) in Vermont, in 1842, and died March 22, 1887. Mrs. Steevens was born May 21, 1810. The paternal grandfather, Joel Steevens, settled also at Troy in early life, and maternal grandfather, Amos Crippen, who was a native of Vermont, and resided in Rutland County until advanced in years, removed to Troy borough, this County, and died in 1864 in his 87th year. Mrs. Westgate is the third in order of birth in a family of three daughters, and one son, and was born in east Troy, Sept. 29, 1844. To Mr. and Mrs. Westgate were born two children: Benjamin H., married to Ora Andrews, and Lucy Helen. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Westgate has served as Justice of the peace, assessor, and school director; is leader of the Canton Cornet Band, and a member of Westgate's Orchestra; is also a member of the I.O.O.F., Canton Lodge, No. 321, and has passed all the chairs of the Order; politically he is a Republican.
G. W. Wetherbee, blacksmith, Grover, is a native of Tioga County, Pennsylvania, and was born Aug. 28, 1838, a son of M. W. and Olive (Houghton) Wetherbee, natives of New Hampshire, former of whom is a farmer and resides in Tioga County, Pennsylvania, now in his 80th year; the latter died in 1888, in her 74th year. The grandfathers, Edmund Wetherbee and Simeon Houghton, were among the first settlers of Delmar Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania. Our subject, who is the second in order of birth in a family of eight sons and one daughter, was reared on his father's farm in Tioga County, and received his education in the common schools. After he became of age he farmed four years, and then served an apprenticeship at the blacksmith's trade, which occupation he has since followed. On July 7, 1865, he removed from Tioga County to Canton, Pennsylvania, where he remained four years, then came to Grover, where he has since resided. He purchased the first building lot sold in Grover. He was married in Union Township, Tioga County, Pennsylvania, Dec. 23, 1858, to Emeline, daughter of Hubbard and Eliza (Kilburn) Spencer, natives of Connecticut. Hubbard Spencer was a farmer, and resided in Tioga County, near Grover, where he died, Sept. 30, 1888, in his 75th year; Mrs. Spencer died March 28, 1884. Mrs. Wetherbee is the eldest in a family of eight children, and was born in Tioga County, May 30, 1839. To Mr. and Mrs. Wetherbee have been born two children: Carrie E. (wife of Frank Fitzwater) and George D., who is a partner with his father. The family are members of the Disciple Church. Politically Mr. Wetherbee is a Republican, and served four years as school director, and three years as constable.
William Wheatley, farmer, Franklin Township, PO West Franklin, was born in Durham County, England, Nov. 2, 1841, the son of William and Jane (Hall) Wheatley, both of whom are natives of England. His father came to this country in 1845, locating in Franklin, on the south side of Towanda Creek, near where David Smiley now resides; he died in January, 1876, aged 87 years, his wife following him Sept.1877, aged 66. Their family consisted of 10 children, eight of whom grew to maturity, and are now living; five of them were born in England. Our subject is the fourth of the family, and was reared and educated in Franklin, and spent his life in general farming. At the age of 25 he married Miss H. Geraldine, daughter of Hiram and Sarah (Allen) Fairchild, of Franklin Township. Mr. and Mrs. Fairchild removed to this County from Glens Falls, New York, when Hiram was a boy of 17. To Mr. Mrs. Wheatley were born children as follows: Fred L., Leon F., and William H. Fred has embarked in the mercantile business, under the firm name of Mason and Wheatley, with every indication of success. Mr. Wheatley is a general farmer and a successful man of business; his farm consists of 75 acres of very fertile land along the Towanda Creek, 20 acres of which is creek flat, the remainder is upland. He has held the office of Township Treasurer one term. In 1864 he joined Company B., 207th Pennsylvania Volunteers, in the Civil War, serving until the close; he now enjoys a pension, and is a member of the G. A. R.
Samuel H. Wheaton, farmer and stockmen, Warren, was born in South Warren, April 30, 1830, and is a son of Samuel and Mary (Abell) Wheaton, natives of Rhode Island, and of old English stock; the family were farmers from generation to generation. The family removed to Bradford County about 1820, and settled in the, then, wild wilderness of Warren Township; Samuel Wheaton died in 1875, and was followed to the grave by his widow in 1876; they reared eight children, of whom Samuel, the subject of this sketch, is the 6th; he spent his childhood and youth on his father's farm, learning to work and giving some little time to the chance of winter schools of the neighborhood of his day and time. He launched himself upon this busy world as a young farmer, with no other fortune than his bare hands and stout heart, and is now the owner of 90 acres all in a fine state of cultivation, and all with suitable and modern buildings. He is one of the leading, prosperous farmers of this part of the County. He was married and LeRaysville, in 1860, to Rachel Willson, and to them have been born two children, namely: Frank M., a printer, and who is now editor and publisher of the LeRaysville Advertiser, and Fred L., who is a successful young farmer, and bids fair to soon be among the leaders in the County in that line. Mr. Wheaton is a Republican politics.
Frank Merton Wheaton, Pike Township, PO LeRaysville, was born on May 29, 1862, in Warren Township, a son of Samuel Abell and Rachel (Wilson) Wheaton, now living in Warren Township. Frank M. spent his early childhood on the farm, and at 19 began life for himself, teaching the Beecher school at Pike Township; he taught two years and then attended the Mansfield Commercial College, where he was graduated in 1883, was then engaged with Bosworth and Lyon one year in the mercantile business, and three years with Johnson & Son in the furniture and undertaking business; afterward purchasing a half interest in the LeRaysville Advertiser, and is now one of its editors. He was married, Sept. 16, 1885, to Beulah Bostwick, a daughter of Willis G. and Martha (Chaffee) Bostwick; they have one child, Aruna A., born Jan. 15, 1889. In politics Mr. Wheaton is a Republican.
Seymour M. Wheaton (deceased) was a native of Warren Township, this County, born March 26, 1852, a son of Frederick and Susan (Humphrey) Wheaton, natives of Pennsylvania and Connecticut, respectively, and of English descent. Frederick Wheaton was the son of John and Sally (French) Wheaton, natives of Rhode Island, who came to Bradford County about 1820, and located in Warren Township; they had eight children, of whom Frederick was the youngest of the sons, and the seventh child; he died in 1854; his widow survives; they had but one child, Seymour M., subject of this sketch. Seymour M. Wheaton grew to manhood where he was born, and, like his ancestors, has always carried on farming, except during two years of his life, when he was engaged in a tub factory. He was married in 1875 to Augusta Bowen, daughter of William C. and Susan (Tibbets) Bowen, natives of Rhode Island, who came to this County and Township in 1832; they had four children: Mary (Mrs. David Brink), of Orwell; Augusta (Mrs. Seymour M. Wheaton); Wheaton (married to Mary Cordis and residing at Ann Arbor, MI); John (married to Adelaide McCrery, and who died in 1876). The father, William C. Bowen, died Nov. 12, 1886, and the mother died Oct. 22, 1889. Mr. Seymour M. Wheaton died June 12, 1889, leaving a widow and seven children. The children are as follows: Frederick, born July 23, 1876; Rena, born Sept. 28, 1877; Clara, born Nov. 18, 1878; Susan, born July 17, 1880; Harry, born Sept. 9, 1882; William, born Dec. 26, 1883, and Guy, born May 31, 1887. Mr. Wheaton left his family a fine farm of 110 acres; he was one of the eminently respectable farmers of the County.
Ensign W. Wheeler, merchant, Luther’s Mills, was born at Luther's Mills, Burlington Township, Bradford County, Pennsylvania, Nov. 11, 1856, a son of Clark and Susan (Rundell) Wheeler, farmers, of Irish and French origin, respectively, natives of this County. The father is living at the ages 63 years. Ensign W., who is the second in a family of four children -- -- three daughters and one son -- -- was reared on the farm and educated in the common schools of the Township. He followed farming successfully until the spring of 1888, when he embarked in mercantile business at Luther's Mills, where he is doing a large and increasing business, keeping a large and general line of country merchandise. He was married, Nov. 25, 1879, to Hattie Marvin, of Smithfield, who was born Jan. 18, 1859, a daughter of Charles and Olive (Walker) Marvin, natives of Tioga County, Pennsylvania, now of Smithfield. To Mr. and Mrs. Wheeler have been born two children: Charles Clark, born May 8, 1886, and Fayette Ensign, born May 25, 1889. Mr. Wheeler is a Republican in politics, and has held the offices of collector, assessor, auditor, and constable, also serving other positions of public trust; he is a Freemason, a member of the I.O.O.F., and one of the growing and substantial men of the town. His father is a pensioner, having been a soldier in the Civil War, when he participated in many hard fought battles, and was present at the surrender of Gen. Lee.
Harrison L. Whitaker, farmer and stockmen, Warren Township, PO Warren Centre, is a native of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, born October 12, 1823, a son of Abraham and Catherine (Sleeper) Whitaker, natives of Vermont, and of English extraction. His father was a farmer, who came to this state, in 1811, and settled in Warren Township, where he passed the remainder of his days and died Feb. 4, 1869. Harrison L. Whitaker was born and reared where he now resides, a pioneer farmer’s boy, and is now a leading farmer of the County, owning 112 acres of land, with all necessary buildings, which are modern and commodious, the farm being in an excellent state of cultivation. He was married, in Warren Township, Feb. 25, 1853, to Hannah A. Chaffee, daughter of William and Martha (Bowen) Chaffee, natives of Providence, RI, who came in the early part of the century to Bradford County, and settled in Warren Township; they had 13 children, of whom Mrs. Hannah A. Whitaker was the sixth and was reared and educated in Warren Township; she died Feb. 2, 1889, mourned by her husband and a wide circle of friends. Mr. Whitaker is one of our most prominent citizens, a leading farmer, and a Republican politics.
Charles E. White, justice, PO North Towanda, was born in Hillsdale, Columbia County, New York, July 26, 1820, and is a son of Peter and Catherine (Sharts) White, natives of Otsego and Columbia County, New York, respectively. He was reared in his native County, and educated in the common schools; in early manhood he removed to Delaware County, New York, where he engaged in farming five years. In 1846 he settled in Bradford County, cleared a farm of 60 acres in Asylum Township, and one of forty acres in Franklin Township. In the spring of 1865 he settled in North Towanda, where he has since resided, and where he was engaged in farming up to 1880. He married, Nov. 24, 1838, Lavina, daughter of Alanson and Lorany (Elliott) David, of Delaware County, New York, and by her had 10 children, as follows: Ann J. (Mrs. Samuel Schrader, deceased), James, George, Mary (Mrs. Solomon Talada), Elisha, John, Emma (Mrs. John Place), Ida (Mrs. Hiram Granger), Charles, and Chester. Mr. White is a prominent and well-known citizen of Bradford County; he is a member of the I.O.O.F. and Good Templars, and has held many of the local offices in the Township in which he has resided, in Bradford County, and is now serving his third term as justice of the peace of North Towanda Township; politically he is an advocate of Prohibition.
Andrew J. Whitney, civil engineer, PO Rome, was born in Wysox, this County, Jan. 2, 1830, and is a son of Alvin and Mary (Woodburn) Whitney, the former of whom, a native of Massachusetts, and a farmer, came to the Wyoming Valley in 1811, and to Wysox in 1816; the latter was born in RI, and was the first schoolteacher in this section, and was conducting the school in a house that was destroyed by a tornado. The father had a family of children, as follows: John D., died in his third year; Alvin, died in infancy; Asa Clark, born 1819, died in 1890; Sarah, died aged 12; Ellen; Andrew J.; Mary H.; Charles; Carrol, married to Maggie Vought, and resides on the old homestead, Carrie, died in infancy; Allen Dorrance; Emma V., married to Dr. William Rice. The early life of Andrew J. was spent on the old homestead farm in Wysox Township, and he was educated in the district school and the academy at Wysox, then the academy of Towanda, and at the Hartford University, Susquehanna County. He studied civil engineering, and began its practice in 1852, when he was employed on the surveys and construction of the Old Junction Canal, from Elmira to this state line, which occupied him until 1854; then was on the construction of the Barclay Railroad from 1854 to 1856; was mining engineer and superintendent of the coal mines at Peru, Illinois, where he sank the first shaft to the lower seam of coal in that now famous coal field. He was engaged from 1859 to 1888 by the Pennsylvania Canal Co., widening and improving the Canal; then was a short time engaged in surveying and building of the Louisburg and Tyrone Railroad in 1884; he entered the employ of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company and engineer of special work, which position he has since filled. During his busy and active life he has been engaged in various outside enterprises, among which was the construction of the Stand-pipe system of waterworks at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, built in 1874. He was united in marriage, Nov. 10, 1856, at Rockford, Illinois, to Olive A., daughter of Lemuel A. Amanda (Cranmer) Maynard, natives of this County, and to this union were born the following children: William Prentice, married to Josephine Thomas, a locomotive engineer; Mary Hellena, married to Charles A. Study, a bookkeeper; A. J., Jr., assistant superintendent Pennsylvania Railroad; Grace Hover, of Tyrone; Olive A., married to William L. Madill; Thomas, and Ruth M. the family are Presbyterians, and in politics Mr. Whitney is a Democrat. He is a member of the Grange. Of his ancestry, two brothers came to the United States in the 16th century, and settled, one on Long Island, and the other in Massachusetts; his grandfather, Eli Whitney, descended from the old Massachusetts branch, was a Revolutionary soldier, and closely related to Eli Whitney, the inventor of the cotton gin. Mr. Whitney left Bradford County in 1852, since which time his life has been mostly spent in other sections. He owns his interest in the old homestead farm of Wysox, besides 55 acres of finely situated farmland in Rome Township, all well improved.
George Wickizer, farmer, Herrick Township, PO Herrick, was born in Rome Township, this County, March 7, 1827. His father, Jacob Wickizer, was born near Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, Oct. 18, 1784; he was a farmer, purchasing a farm of 150 acres, and died March 5, 1868; his wife was Thankful Green, whose parents were natives of this state, and she was born in 1790, and died December 28, 1862, leaving 13 children, viz.: Rosina, wife of H. Russell; Lucy, Margaret, and Andrew, all three deceased; Jacob, Catherine, John, Alexander, Willard, Sarah (wife of John Horton), George, Marium (deceased), and Andrew. George, the subject of this sketch, attended school in Orwell Township until his 18th year, and worked on his father's farm until 1848, when he purchased 72 acres of his present farm, on which he erected his house in 1856; his barn was destroyed by fire in 1887, having been struck by lightning, and rebuilt in May 1889. He is a Republican, and was school director one term. On December 13, 1846, he married Emily Permelia, daughter of John D. Wage, of this County. By this union there is one child, George L., a farmer in Wyalusing Township. Mrs. Wickizer died December 22, 1890, and her 64th year. Mr. and Mrs. Wickizer were members of the Baptist Church.
William J. Wigstein, farmer in Springfield Township, PO Big Pond, was born in County Down, Ireland, Jan. 18, 1836, a son of Matthew and Mary (Johnston) Wigstein, also natives of Ireland, born of Scotch Irish ancestry. The father, who was a farmer, immigrated to this country in 1850, the voyage occupying eight and 1/2 weeks, on account of a disaster, which befell the ship. He settled on the farm