History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
History of Bradford County
Brigade, third Division, under Gen. McIntosh.. He was in the battle of the Wilderness, at Winchester, Cedar Creek, Arlington Heights, Stony Creek, altogether in over thirty battles and skirmishes; while in Wilson’s raid he was taken sick, and was two months in the hospital; was seriously hurt by a horse falling on him at the battle of the Wilderness, and another horse was shot from under him in that battle. His health has never been good since the war, and he is now a pensioner; is a member of Warwick Post, No. 529, at Nichols, N.Y. He is a leading farmer, and has a fine farm of ninety-six acres, well
improved and stocked. Mr. Arnold was married in Owego, in 1865, to Sarah, daughter of Francis H. and Aurelia (Canfield) Ellsworth, natives of Bradford county, of New York parentage. Of this union there are three children; Alice (wife of P.H. Taylor, of Rome), Carl and Ernest. The family worship at the Methodist Church, of which he is a steward. In politics he is a Republican.
HENRY C. ARNOLD, general blacksmith, Granville Centre, was born in New London county, Conn., July 4, 1840 a son of William and Mary Arnold. He was reared in his native county where he learned the blacksmith’s trade, at which he served an apprenticeship of three years. In May 1861, he enlisted under Capt. Clark, for Bartlett’s
Naval Brigade. The company he was with was from New London county. Then he joined the organization at New York, in which city he remained three weeks, at Staten Island, after which the organization sailed for Fortress Monroe, Capt. Bartlett was deprived of his command, and was put on the "ribracks," by order of Gen. Butler, for some cause unknown. The company then disbanded, some joining other regiments.
Mr. Arnold was employed inside the fort as general blacksmith, and worked there until the close of the war, when he moved to Granville Centre. He was the man who put the shackles on Jeff. Davis. At Granville Centre he established himself in business at his trade, in which was he has since successfully continued. His wife who was Sarah
Knowles Scully, of Germantown, Pa., and they have seven children: Harry, Willard, Lee, Lucy, Lena, Rose and Judson. Mr. Arnold is a popular blacksmith, and well-known citizen of Granville. He is a member of and an elder in the Church of Christ. He is a friend of the soldier and in politics is a Republican.
SENECA L. ARNOLD, livery and sale stables, Towanda, was born in Warren township, this county, February 10, 1837, a son of William and Debby Arnold, who were early settlers in that place, where the son grew to manhood and passed his school days. In
early life he commenced farming, and was thus engaged when the Civil War came upon the country, and he promptly volunteered in the noted One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, P.V.I., and was in the service about six months, participating in all the hard marches, sieges, and battles of his command, and was discharged from Fairfax Hospital, near Fairfax Court-House, Va., on account of disability. After his return home and recovery, he again enlisted, this time in the One Hundred and Seventy-ninth, N.Y.V.I., and served with his command six months, when he was honorably discharged on account
of disability. The war being over, Mr. Arnold commenced business in Towanda, and has built up his present extensive business as proprietor of a livery stable. He has been married twice, his first wife being Lydia E., daughter of Jabez Sexton, of Orwell township, and by her he had two children, Eugene and Emma, (Mrs. Lewis Fitch); his second wife was Elizabeth, daughter of William booth, of Forest Lake, Susquehanna Co., Pa., by which marriage has been born one child, Nettie H. Mr. Arnold is a member of the G.A.R., and in politics is a Republican.
LEVI G. ARNOUT, farmer, P.O. Liberty Corners, was born March 6, 1832, in Monroe township, of this county, and is a son of Peter and Mary (Irvine) Arnout, natives of Northumberland county, who came to this county when they were young, and were of the pioneer settlers of Monroe township. The Arnouts are of Dutch extraction, and the Irvines of Scotch-Irish. The father, who was a wagon-maker, steeled in the forest and improved the place on which his son Levi resides, who was then but two years old. Levi G. Arnout was educated in the schools of his town, and attended the old academy at Towanda, afterward teaching school. He was married March 15, 1855 to Mary J. Emery, who was born December 10, 1831, the second in the family of twelve children of Jacob R. and Sarah Ann (Ennis) Emery. To Mr. And Mrs. Arnout have been born four children, as follows: Julia M., born November 24, 1858, wife of John Elliott; Cora M., born February 7, 1860; Eliza, born September 5, 1864, a teacher, bidding fair for a future literary career (she recently graduated at the Collegiate Institute, Towanda), and Jennie, born March 15, 1871. Mrs. Arnout died October 1, 1890, deeply mourned by her family and a wide circle of friends; she was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal church, for nearly forty years. Mr. Arnout is a Democrat, and has been justice of peace several terms, and school director many years. He has carried on an extensive lumbering business in connection with general farming, and at the present time owns a sawmill located on his farm which he successfully operates.
ELMER J. ATWOOD, farmer and stock-grower, Pike township, P.O. LeRaysville, was born in Camptown, this county, August we, 1855, a son of George C. and Henrietta (Taylor) Atwood, natives of Pennsylvania and of New England origin. His paternal ancestor Reuben Atwood, was born November 1, 1782. and died October 25, 1878; Abiah (Platt) Atwood came to Bradford county from Watertown, Conn., in 1832, traveling all the way in an ox cart, and located on the farm now owned by P.J. McAuley; the family consisted of five children, of whom George C., the youngest, was, during his life, one of the most widely known men of Bradford county, one of those positive, energetic characters he always took time and circumstances by the forelock. He was married July 3, 1852, to Henrietta, daughter of Aaron and Armanda M. (Watson) Taylor, natives of CT.; she was born April 3, 1833,in Springfield, Pa. This happy union was blessed with the following children: Ella J., born August 16, 1853, married December 31, 1872, to Elihu W. Buttles, a farmer of Orwell
Township, and died February 8, 1883; Elmer J., Alice H., born October 6, 1856, married to Henry H. Coleman; Ida L., born June 4, 1862, married September 30, 1882, to Frank H. Abbot, of New York; Georgiana, born October 15, 1865, was graduated from Wyoming Seminary and Mansfield State Normal School, now Syracuse University; Sarah E., born March 3, 1867, was graduated from Kingston Commercial School and State Normal; Frederick G., born August 27, 1868, married Anna Overpeck September 17, 1890; Rollin C., born April 28, 1870, a graduate of the commercial course, also telegraphy and stenography, at Wyoming Seminary; William L., born February 9, 1872; Cora J., born May 1, 1874; and Leon M., born May 5, 1877. Elmer J. Atwood spent his boyhood on the farm, was educated in the common school and Wyoming Seminary, and began life at nineteen on a farm in Herrick township. He bought his first farm of fifty-eight acres in 1877, and lived there until 1866, when he purchased his present home of three hundred acres, known as the Alonzo Smith farm. He has converted it into one of the best stock farms in Bradford county, and constructed a driving course upon it. At present, he has
Twenty-one good blooded farm and driving horses and colts, nine of which are carefully bred Hambletonian colts. All but twenty-five acres is in an excellent state of cultivation. Mr. Atwood was married March 12, 1873, to Jennie S. Nichols, who died November 2, 1877, and he afterward married, March 4, 1878, Sarah J. Avis, daughter of Leverett Avis, a native of CT. Mr. And Mrs. Atwood have the following named children: Walter E., born January 26, 1879; Nellie I., born November 25, 1881; Vernon J., born June 2, 1884; and Grace I., born June 7, 1888. Mr. Atwood is a Republican, and takes an active interest in educational and all benevolent enterprises.
FREDERICK GRANT ATWOOD, farmer, Herrick, was born in Herrick township, this county, August 24, 1868; his father, George C. Atwood, was born in Pike township, May 17, 1825; his grandfather Reuben Atwood, was born in Watertown, Conn., November 1, 1782. George C. Atwood attended the district school at South Hill until he was sixteen, when he started for himself, peddling in the and adjacent counties, in which he continued until his twenty-seventh years, when he opened a store in Camptown, dealing in general merchandise. In 1854, he sold out and began farming, also doing a banking business in his neighborhood; his first purchase was seventy-five acres where the present Atwood homestead stands; his was a very successful life, and his death occurred October 19, 1889. He married, July 3, 1852, Henrietta, daughter of Aaron and Amanda (Watson) Taylor, who was the second of a family of four children, and was born in CT. There were fourteen children by this marriage: Ella, wife of E.W. Buttles; Elmer J.; Alice H.; Delia F., wife of E.A. Howe; Ida L., wife of Frank H. Abbott; Georgiana; Sarah E.; Frederick Grant; Rollin C.; William L: Cora J.; and Leon M., and two other died in infancy. Frederick G. Atwood attended school at Herrickville until he was seventeen, and then went to the normal school two years, and returned home. In the spring of 1890 he purchased from his father’s estate ninety-seven acres, eighty of which was improved, and began farming.
On September 17, 1890, he married Ana U., daughter of Leander and Ethalinda (Gustin) Overpeck, natives of this State. Mr. Atwood is a member of Wyalusing Lodge, No. 503, I.O.O.F., and in politics is a Republican.
ROLLIN C. ATWOOD, a prominent farmer of Pike township, Herrickville, was born in Pike township, April 28, 1870; the ninth in the family of twelve children of George C. and Henrietta (Taylor) Atwood, natives of Pennsylvania, the former born in Bradford county, and the latter in Susquehanna county. They were married July 3, 1852, and first located in Camptown, this county, and then in 1864, moved to Herrickville, where they settled. The record of their twelve children is as follows: Ella J. married Elihu W. Buttles, of South Hill, and died February 8, 1883; Elmer J. resided near LeRaysvlle; Adelia F. married E.A. Abbott of Homer, N.Y., where they live; Alice H. married H.H. Coleman of Pike and they reside there; Georgiana, Elizabeth S., Cora J., Rollin C., William L. and Leon M. live in Herrick; Fred. G. married Annie Overpeck, and they also have their residence near Herrickville. The father, who was by occupation an agriculturist, died October 19, 1889; the mother still lives, and resides near Herrickville. Rollin C. Atwood, the subject proper of this biographical sketch, attended LeRaysville graded school, and then in the year 1890, took a commercial course at Wyoming Seminary, Kingston, Pa., after which he returned home and commenced farming. Mr. Atwood is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of East Herrick, belongs to the Alpha Phi Fraternity, and in politics is a Republican.
GEORGE N. ATWOOD, farmer and mechanic, of Wyalusing township, P>O. Camptown, was born December 5, 1848, in the house where he now resides, a son of Nelson R. and Sarah Ann (Camp) and died May 5, 1869, and Sarah Ann (Camp) Atwood was born in Camptown, September 22, 1814, died April 17, 1867; they were the parents of three sons, viz: Stiles H., born August 15, 1844, died February 23, 1879; George N. and Dudley C. born October 7, 1850 and now a farmer residing in Wyalusing township on a portion of the old penter which he followed some time; abandoned it for the wagon-maker’s trade which he followed until his death; working in a shop which stood on the spot now occupied by the residence of George N.; he also owned a farm of fifty acres which he cultivated; was an earnest member of the Presbyterian Church, an honest , industrious, and highly respected gentleman, and was strongly attached to his home and family. Being a frugal man and a good financier he was in good circumstances at the time of his death, having accumulated his fortune entirely by his own exertions. George N. Atwood was born and reared on a farm he now occupies, and was educated in the Camptown Academy and Collegiate Institute Of Towanda. After reaching his majority he began to learn the carpenter’s trade, working at same for many years with Martin Fee. After his father’s death he assumed
control of the old homestead farm, and has since devoted his time to his trade and to farming; his farm of thirty acres making him a pleasant and cozy home. Mr. Atwood was united in marriage, September 10, 1873 to Elizabeth A. Alger, a daughter of Nelson Alger of Greene county, N.Y.; she was born August 27, 1843 and died January 29, 1888. Their union was blessed with two children; William N., born October 7, 1874, and George L., born February 12, 1880. Politically Mr. Atwood is a stanch Republican and an active advocate of the principals of his party; he has largely made his won way through life and been very successful.
MAJOR CYRUS AVERY, Camptown, while on of the elderly, though old men of the county, has for years been one of our most prominent citizens, and of whose useful life the universal testimony of all acquaintances is that his is one notably characterized "with clarity for all-malice toward none." In the prime of his active life he passed through the great era of stormy politics, the troublous decade from 1860 to 1870, a firm and consistent Democrat, when many of that party were misread, and others incurred even the implacable enmity of old neighbors and sometimes former friends; but this man moved with calm serenity, and could always command the confidence and respect of all who knew him. He was born March 8, 1821 in Falls township, Luzern (now Wyoming) Co., Pa., and spent his boyhood days on a farm, a son of Miles Avery, who was born December 28, 1791, son of Cyrus Avery, born May 12, 1771, son of Solomon, born June 7, 1729, son of Humphrey, born July 4, 1699, son of Samuel, born August 14, 1664, son of James, born December, 1646, son of Capt. James, born in England in 1620, son of Christopher Avery of England who came to Massachusetts in company with his son James, who descendants now spread from the Atlantic to the Pacific shore.
Cyrus, when a lad between fourteen and twenty-one, served as bugler in a militia company. In 1842 he was commissioned by the Governor, major in the One Hundred and Sixteenth Regiment, Second Battalion of the militia of Pennsylvania, which was the Second Brigade of the Division, and served seven years. He spent the summer of 1848 in Illinois and returning to Camptown the next years, he formed a mercantile partnership with A.R. Brown, and in 1851 he purchased his partner’s interest and built the store and dwelling he now occupies. Under the administrations of Pierce and Buchanan he served seven years as Camptown postmaster. For many years in his younger life he shipped lumber down the river and on the return brought goods via the canal as far as Pittston, and from there to Skinner’s Eddy by boat, and wagoned from there to Camptown. On invitation of Col. Victor E. Piollet, he was a passenger on the first train over the Lehigh Valley Railroad to Waverly and return, September 9, 1869; he sent the first baled hay from the county that was shipped by the railroad. During the past thirty years he has cleared and improved his beautiful valley farm, over whose smooth surface the "song of the reaper" may go over nearly every acre, on which are his extensive stock pastures with their beautiful valley brooks rippling forever over the white pebbles. Here
disperse his cattle and sheep, lending a charm to the beautiful perspective, the whole constituting one of the best farms and delightful rural homes in the county. Maj. Avery is president of the District Association of the Patrons of Industry, of North America, of which there are fifteen subordinate orders in Bradford county. Mr. Avery’s first marriage was December 23, 1841, with Caroline A. Brown, daughter of James Brown, of Eaton township, and of this marriage there were four children as follows: A.J. born May 14, 1843 a farmer in Missouri; E.F., born May 28, 1846, now a dentist in Tunkhannock; C.L., born September 30, 1848, an undertaker in Penfield, Pa., and Washington B., born May 7, 1851 and died young. His second marriage was in Bradford county in November 1852, with Mary P. Ingham, daughter of John and Marinda Ingham, and by her there were three children: John M., born June 23, 1855, died February 9, 1862; Joseph C., born September 12, 1859, died November 18, 1878; Mary e., born December 2, 1861, wife of C.C. Smith, merchant, Camptown. To the interviewer the Major expressed much of the facts in the case when he said; "I am in good health and delight in superintending the farm and looking after the domestic animals." A model home and pleasant household surrounded by those who give and receive that respect and love that is the supreme type of the best of civilization. It is meet and proper here to say a word of Mrs. Avery – a royal helpmeet and companion of a husband; cultured, refined, a motherly mother of as peaceful and enjoyable home as there is in Bradford county, made so chiefly by her presence.
O.F. AYER, proprietor of the Valley Mills, Sheshequin, was born in Sheshequin, Pa., August 11, 1840, and is the only child of F.S. and Sarah (Tuttle) Ayer, his father being a native of Madison county, N.Y., and his mother of Sheshequin, Pa.; the mother died in 1868, aged forty-two years; the father is engaged in the lumber and milling business. O.F. Ayer received his early education in the common schools of Sheshequin, and afterward in the Collegiate Institute of Towanda, attending the latter three years. After leaving school he engaged in the lumber business in connection with his father, under the firm name of F.S. Ayer & Son, until 1868 when they moved to Sheshequin; he built his sawmill in 1868; his father’s gristmill was built in 1870; it has three run of stone for flour, and one for corn and feed; the sawmill consists of a circular saw, shingle machine and planning mill. Mr. Ayer was untied in marriage December 25, 1863 to Anna, daughter of Jacob and Harriet (Knapp) Morley, and the fruits of this marriage are four children, viz.: FRO., draughtsman; Sarah M., music teacher; Frederick E., aged fourteen years and Harry O., aged eleven years. Our subject is a member of the I.O.O.F., has taken all the degrees; is attached to the Lodge at Sheshequin and holds a withdrawal card from the Encampment at Towanda; in politics he is a Republican.
HON. ENOCH J. AYERS, farmer, P.O. Macedonia, was born in Sussex county, N.J., September 20, 1828 and is a son of John and Anna (Vansickle) Ayers, also natives of New Jersey, the ancestry being
Scotch and English. The paternal grandfather of our subject was in the Revolutionary War.
Enoch J. Ayers was educated in the schools of his native place and was reared on his father’s farm. On September 20, 1855 he was married to Nancy, daughter of Mathew Jackson, of Paterson, N.J., and to them have been born three children, one of whom is now living, Annie, born September 8, 1866. Mr. Ayers was for several years in mercantile business in Paterson, N.J., of which city he was at one time elected alderman. During the War of the Rebellion he was a soldier in the Twenty-Fifth N.J.V.I., and was elected and commissioned lieutenant colonel of the regiment; he served during the term of his enlistment, and was mustered out with the regiment. Mr. Ayers came to Asylum township, this county, in the spring of 1866, and located on his present farm of over two hundred acres, one of the finest in the county, where he soon became one of the leading agriculturists of this section. He was elected in 1882, representative to the State Legislature and served with great credit and to the eminent satisfaction of his constituents. He has always been a Republican in his political preferences, has held many positions of public trust and is much respected by a large circle of friends.
JACOB J. AYERS, farmer, P.O. Gillett, was born in Milton, Northunberland county, Pa., March 2, 1816, a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Sheive) Ayers. Daniel Ayers was a valiant soldier in the War of 1812, was by trade a general blacksmith, and was an excellent mechanic. He married Miss Elizabeth Sheive, by whom he had six children, all of whom grew to maturity, two now living. Jacob J., who is the sixth in the family, was reared and educated in Montgomery county, and at the age of sixteen he went to Philadelphia to learn the carriage-maker’s trade. After he served his time as an apprentice he opened a shop for himself in Jackson, Tioga county., Pa., where he succeeded in building up a large country trade. Here he worked fourteen years and then in 1851, removed to Wells township, this county, locating about three miles west of Gilett, where he purchased ninety-four acres of uncultivated land, heavily timbered and without any buildings. By perseverance, patience and improving, he worked at his trade in the winter and at farming in the summer until he converted the forest into a comparative paradise. On September 15, 1839, Mr. Ayers married at Rutland, Tioga county., Pa., Miss Delilah, daughter of Isaac and Amanda parker, and by this union there were born six children, five of who grew to maturity, viz: Sylvester, Lewis, Archibald, Sarah and George W., all married and prosperous. Mr. Ayers is grandfather to seventeen children. He is a man of enterprise and push and a successful agriculturist, his farm being a model one; the fruit grown thereon is of the finest and of several varieties, and his stock comprises some full blooded Jerseys; Mr. Ayers is a member of the Grange, and a consistent member of the Baptist Church.
M.P. AYERS, farmer, in Canton township, P.O. East Canton, is a native of Canton township, this county, having been born September 20, 1841, a son of Abijah and Thirza (Palmer) Ayers, natives of CT. Abijah Ayers was a farmer and a early settler of
Canton township, coming here in 1809 and settling three-quarters of a mile northwest of where his son now resides. He enlisted as a soldier in the War of 1812, but was not in active service; he died in 1860 in his seventy-third year. Mrs. Ayers was born July 17, 1806, and resides in Covington township. Tioga Co., Pa. The paternal grandfather, Abijah Ayers, who was a native on Connecticut, also settled in Canton township about the year 1809, and died in 1836. The subject of these lines she is eighth in order of birth in a family of eleven children, was reared in his township and received his education in the public schools. On august 31, 1864, he enlisted in Company I, fifteenth New York Engineers and was in active service in Virginia and North Carolina until two months before the close of the war, when he was sent to David’s Island Hospital, N.Y., on account of disability; was mustered out on June 13, 1865, returned home and has since engaged in farming. He was married in Sullivan township, Tioga Co., Pa., October 21, 1869 to Augusta M., daughter of Thomas and Isibel (Wilson) Case, natives of Vermont and Chester county, Pa., respectively, and who came here early I in life and were married in Canton township, afterward removed to Troy township where they resided two years and then returned to Canton. Thomas Case who was a farmer and a soldier in the War of 1812 was born February 12, 1798 and died July 27, 1872. Mrs. Case was born January 29, 1804 and died August 3, 1873. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Case, a native of Vermont, settled in Troy township; the maternal grandfather, William Wilson came from Chester Co., Pa., and settled in Burlington township; Mrs. Ayers grandmother, Margaret (Ballard) Wilson was a native of CT. Mrs. Ayers who is the youngest in order of birth in a family of six children, was born in Canton township, this county December 1, 1845. They have an adopted son named Bernard. The family are members of the Disciple Church. Mr. Ayers is a member of the West Granville Grange and served one term as township commissioner. Politically he is a Republican. He owns a well-improved farm of ninety acres.
SHELLY AYERS, farmer, P.O. Windfall, was born in Canton township, this county, April 19, 1830 and is a son of Abijah and Polly (Shelley) Ayers. His paternal grandparents were Abijah and Hannah (Edward) Ayers, who settled in Troy township in 1815 and what is now Granville township in 1817, cleared a large tract of land and died there, the homestead being the one now occupied by their grandson, Shelly Ayers; their children were as follows; Abijah, Gilbert, John, Jemima (Mrs. Elihu Andrews), Moses, Isaac, Anna (Mrs. M.J. Porter), Sally (Mrs. Silas Packard), Rachel (Mrs. ____ Phillips), Lemuel, Marcus, and Mary (Mrs. Reuben J. Palmer). The father of our subject cleared and improved a farm in Canton township and died there. His children were as follows: John, Betsy, Henry, Moses, Ellen, Hannah, and Shelly; by his second wife, Thurza (Palmer), he had nine children: Mary, Eliza, Sarah, Christine, Lucy, Naomi, Marcus, Andrew and Burton. Shelly Ayers was reared in Canton and has been a resident of Granville thirty-five years. He married Roxanna, daughter of M.T. and Amanda (Spencer) Porter,
of Granville township and has had the following named children: Mary, Flora, Deliva, Fremont, Oscar and Frank. Mr. Ayers enlisted August 15, 1864 in Company I, fifteenth New York Engineers and after eleven months service was honorably discharged. Politically he is a Republican.
MRS. GEORGE W. BAILEY, retired, LeRaysville, was born April 27, 1847 in Pike township, this county, a daughter of Jonathan and Abigail (Steven) Brink, natives of Pennsylvania, and of New England origin, in whose family there were three children, of whom Marian (Mrs. Bailey) is the second. She was educated in the common school and at LeRaysville Academy, and September 26, 1865, she was married to George W. Bailey, the youngest of six children of Daniel and Laura (Baldwin) Bailey. They lived on a farm for a hear and a half and then Mr. Bailey engaged with his brother, Daniel, in mercantile business in the store which his father had carried on many years. To Mr. and Mrs. Bailey were born two children: Nettie A., born September 6, 1867, married February 27, 1882 to George W. Payson, a dentist of Newark Valley, N.Y., and Harry C. born January 26, 1871, died March 22, 1872. Mrs. Bailey and her daughter are members of the Congregational Church; she is one of the highly respected ladies of LeRaysville.
NEWTON J. BAILEY, Towanda, was born in North Towanda township, this county, March 18, 1847 and is a son of Jeremiah and Electa (Baldwin) Bailey. His paternal grandfather was a native of Orange county, N.Y. and came to Wyalusing in 1791 and in 1792 settled on Sugar creek in what is now North Towanda township; the same year he married Susan Bennett, daughter of Amos Bennett, of Wyalusing, but formerly of Orange county, N.Y. Mr. Bailey settled on the farm now occupied by his sons and resided there until his death which occurred in 1861, when aged ninety-two years. His children werePruda (Mrs. Stephen Avery), Joshua, Nehemiah, Nathaniel, Anna (Mrs. William McNeal), Polly (Mrs. Harry Coolbaugh), Mehitable (Mrs. Gordon Goff), John, Clara (Mrs. Alfred Strope), Enos and Jeremiah. Jeremiah Bailey succeeded to the homestead, on which he was born and reared, and where he died at the age of seventy-four. His wife was a daughter of Thomas and Lucy A. Baldwin of Troy, this county, and by her he had ten children, of whom seven grew to maturity, as follows: Thomas J., Newton J., Susan, Joseph, Dora (Mrs. S. Slater), Lucy (Mrs. Perry Hess), and Jeremiah. Newton J. Bailey was reared on the old homestead, a part of which he now owns and occupies; in connection with his farming interests, he has followed butchering for twenty years, and for eighteen years he has conducted a market in Towanda. In 1868 he married Susan, daughter of Asa and Lucinda (Rundell) Slater of Burlington, and he has seven children, viz: William, Mary (Mrs. U.M. Salter), Minnie, Archie, Cora, Ida and John. Mr. Bailey is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; in politics he is a Republican.
RUDOLPHUS D. BAILEY, farmer, P.O. LeRoy, was born in LeRoy, this county, February 17, 1853, a son of Samuel and Adaline
(White) Bailey. His paternal grandfather, Timothy Bailey, of CT., was one of the pioneers of LeRoy township; his wife was Eleanor Harris, and their children were Harriet (Mrs. Eli Holcomb0< Abby (Mrs. Jacob Roberts), Electo (Mrs. Marlin Holcomb), Maryann (Mrs. Richard Benson), Lucinda (Mrs. George Browning), Samuel. Lymon, Jeremiah, Alvin and Warren. Of these, Samuel was a shoe-maker by trade and most of his life worked on the bench in LeRoy; later in life he was engaged in mercantile business at the same place and died there; his wife was a daughter of David White of Granville township, by who he had six children, as follows: Lovisa (Mrs. James McCraney), Dorleska (Mrs. James Griswold), Elozia (Mrs. Christopher Hartman), Franteska (Mrs. Amos Harris), Manning and Rodolphus D. Our subject was reared in LeRoy township, learned the shoemaker’s trade with his father, which he followed twenty- eight years; then engaged in farming in Granville township, in which he has since continued. His wife was Annette, daughter of Ebenezer and Ovanda Marvin of Granville and there are three children: Ovanda, Mattie (Mrs. Solomon Lindley) and Marion. Mr. Bailey is a member of the Church of Christ and in politics is a Republican.
ROBERT BAILEY, ONE OF THE OLDEST RESIDENTS OF Granville township, P.O. Granville Centre, was born March 27, 1815, on the farm where he now resides, a son of Scovil and Jershua (Hale) Bailey, natives of CT., who settled in Granville in 1801 and cleared and improved the farm occupied by our subject, and died there; their children were: Julius, Jershua (Mrs. Luman Putnam), Eliza (Mrs. John Taylor), Hezekiah, Harry, Amanda (Mrs. Samuel W. Shepard), Robert and Hannah (Mrs. William Rockwell). Our subject has always lived on the old homestead, a part of which he cleared. He has been twice married, his first wife being Maryette, daughter of Bradford Robbins of Granville, and be her he had two children, Moses I. And John: his second wife was Lucia, daughter of Erastus Booth, of Troy township. Mr. Bailey is a member of the Free Will Baptist Church; in politics he is a Republican, and he served as justice of the peace of Granville twenty-five years.
WILLIAM FLOYD BAKER, farmer and quarryman, Troy, was born in Rutland, Tioga Co., Pa., March 9, 1842 and is a son of Harlin and Sarah A. (Longwell) Baker. His paternal grandparents, George and Kate Baker, originally from Maryland, settled in Wells township, this county, in 1814, cleared a farm and later moved to Columbia township where they resided until their death. Their children were Parmina, Harlin, Joseph, Ruth, Rebecca, Sally, Zuba, Amanda, William, George and Gibbons. Hartlan Baker settled in Wells township with his parents in 1814, where he cleared a farm; about 1835 he removed to Rutland, Tioga Co., Pa., where he cleared a farm of four hundred acres. In the spring of 1871 he removed to Troy township, where he died May 7, 1886, aged eighty-three; their children were six in number; John (deceased), Emmet, George, Sarah, William F. and Wilmot. The subject of this sketch was reared in Rutland township and in 1871 he moved to on the farm he now occupies, on which he opened an
extensive stone quarry of the best quality of blue stone. He was married September 3, 1871 to Carrie, daughter of Jefferson and Eliza (Brewer) Prutsman of Rutland Township and they have four children; Damon, Bertha, Guy and Fannie. Mr. Baker is a member of the I.O.O.F., of Troy Farmer’s Club, and of the P. of H.; in politics he is a Republican
WILLIAM W. BAKER, proprietor of a creamery and farmer of Warren Township, P.O. Wapasening, is a native of Windham township, Bradford Co., Pa., was born December 3, 1827, a son of Ivers and Elizabeth (Russell) Baker, natives of Massachusetts and CT. respectively, and of English origin, farmers who came to Bradford county, locating in Windham township, in 1824 where the former died in 1836, his widow surviving until 1886; they were the parents of four children, of whom William W. is the second. William W. Baker spent his young life on his father’s farm, having only the limited advantages of the youth of that early day; he learned well to farm and loved to attend to domestic animals of the farm, and in early manhood began farming and dealing extensively in stock, following this business without interruption thirty years. He commenced on the first round of the ladder of life and is now independent and owns a farm of one hundred and seventy-five acres, and carries on an extensive creamery, having two in Orwell township and one is Nichols, N.Y. He was married in 1854 in Pike township to Priscilla R. Rogers, daughter of Philip and Elizabeth (Lamoreux) Rodgers, natives of New York, of English and French extraction. To Mr. and Mrs. Baker have been born three children as follows: Jennis (died in august 1890, aged thirty-three), Rachel, Libby and Franklin Born The Baker family is one of the prominent ones of Bradford county. Mr. Baker in politics is a Democrat, is postmaster at Wapasening, a justice of the peace and a school director.
VINE H. BALDWIN, of the firm Baldwin Bros., Canton, is a native of Chemung, N.Y., born November 24, 1852, the second in order of birth in a family of three children of Robert and Rebecca (Foulke) Baldwin; he was reared in Chemung, N.Y. and received his education in the public and graded schools. He clerked for the firm of Newberry, Peck & Co., in Troy, six years; then was with Redington, Leonard & Co., of Troy, six years; removed to Canton in the spring of 1884 where he has continued in business since. He was married in Troy in 1877 to Helen, daughter of Harry and Maria (Childs) Lowman, natives of Lycoming county, Pa. Harry Lowman was a lumbermen and died in Montoursville, Pa.; his widow still survives him. Mrs. Baldwin is third in a family of five children. To Mr. And Mrs. Baldwin were born two sons; William F. and Harry L. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Baldwin is a member of the F. & A.M., Canton Lodge, No. 415, Troy Chapter, No 261, and Canton Commander, No. 64, holding the office of eminent commander in the latter. Politically he is a Democrat.
WILLIAM F. BALDWIN, of the firm Baldwin Bros., dealers in dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes, Canton, was born in Towanda, Pa., October 7, 1850, a son of Robert C. Baldwin, who was born at
Bently Creek, Tioga Co., Pa., March 25, 1813, and died in Chemung, N.Y., June 14, 1886; he was a son of Vine Baldwin who was the first business man in Troy, and a grandson of Isaac Baldwin; he was the third in order of birth of a family of five sons, was a builder and contractor and also followed farming. Our subject’s mother, Mrs. Rebecca (Foulke) Baldwin was a daughter of William and Anna (Alexander) Foulke, natives of Dauphin county and Hummelstown Pa., respectively. William Foulke was a surveyor and owned a gristmill and farm; he died in Chemung, N.Y., in 1836 in his fifty-eighth year. Mrs. Foulke died September 1, 1883 in her eight-sixth year. Mrs. Baldwin who is the fourth in order of birth in a family of eight children was born in Chemung, N.Y., April 27, 1824. William F. Baldwin is the eldest in a family of three children. When he was one year old his parents removed from Towanda to Chemung, N.Y., where he resided until seventeen years of age and them removed to Troy., Pa. He received his education in the public and graded schools; clerked in the store of Newberry & Peck, Troy, four years and then went to Williamsport and engaged in the grocery business with A.B. McKean and John T. Blackwell, under the firm name of McKean, Baldwin & Co. At the end of one year, J.C. Everett succeeded McKean 7 Blackwell a and the firm became Everett & Baldwin. They continued in business four years when they sold out in 1878 and Mr. Baldwin went West, locating at Ogallah, Trego Co., Kans. He purchase a one-half section of land adjoining a town site that was laid out, in partnership with his brother Vine, built a store and continued in business there two years; then removed to Gunnison county, Colo., where he engaged in mercantile business under the firm name of Baldwin & Ripperton and also prospected in mining country. At the end of two years he returned home and in April 1874, he removed to Canton where they engaged in their present business, under the firm name of Baldwin Bros., & Co. In 1887 the brothers bought out the other partners, and the firm changed to Baldwin Bros. William F. Baldwin was married in Troy, in June 1884, to Mary A., daughter of Albion and Sarah (Wilbur) Budd, natives of this county. Albion Budd is a farmer and resided in Austinville. Mrs. Baldwin is the youngest in a family of four children living and was born in Austinville, August 22, 1858. Mr., and Mrs. Baldwin are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which he is one of the board of trustees; is a member of the F. & A.M. Canton Lodge No. 415. Politically he is a Republican.
JACOB L. BALL, farmer, of Litchfield township, P.O. Litchfield, was born July 13, 1839, a son of Benjamin and Sarah Ball, the former of whom w was a native of Orange county, N.Y., the latter of Vermont; they were the parents of eight children, six of whom grew to maturity, and five are living at present; they settled in Litchfield in 1812, being among the pioneers in the township. The grandparents of our subject were extensive farmers of Orange county, N.Y., Jacob L. was reared in his native township and educated at the common school. In November 1864, he married Cornelia, daughter of Aaron Wood of Pike township, an old soldier of the War of 1812. Mr. Ball is the father of eight children, as follows: Ida A., born November 28,
1865, married to F. Halstead, a farmer; Amy A., born June 28, 1867, married Alonzo Scott, a mechanic; Mary A. born October 7, 1868, married James Munn, a farmer; Sarah C., born October 15, 1869; Hattie A., born August 6, 1871; Victoria (deceased); Jacob L., born April 4, 1874; and Ethiel W., born September 12, 1876. Mr. Ball is an enterprising farmer, and at times deals in lumber extensively. He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving one year under Gen. Sherman in the Port Royal expedition, after in the Fifteenth Pennsylvania Regiment, from which he was honorable discharged. In politics he is a Republican, and had the confidence of his fellow citizens, holding at the present time the office of justice of the peace; he is a member of the G.A.R., and in religious views is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church..
JOSEPH A. BALL, East Troy, was born at Painted Post, N.Y., June 9, 1837 and is a son of Chauncey and Eliza (Burst) Ball, who settled in Troy township about 1841. The father was a distiller and for many years was employed at Long’s Distillery; he died in 1859 and had eight children; Joseph A., Julia (Mrs. Charles Murray), James (Mrs. Thomas Knights), James, John, Martha, Mary and Isolmer (died march 1861 of diphtheria). Our subject, the only survivor, was reared in Troy and educated in the common schools and Troy Academy. After attaining his majority he engaged in farming and in April, 1861, he enlisted in Company D, Twenty—third N.Y.V., participating in the following battles: Second Bull Run, South Mountain and Antitam, losing his right arm at the latter engagement; he received an honorable discharge in 1862, returned home and from 1875 to 1885 was engaged in general merchandising at East Troy. January 28, 1863 he married Emma A., daughter of Carlton H. and Naomi (Smith) Campbell of Springfield, this county, and has four children: Ada, Myra, Libbie and Willis. Mr. Ball is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, of the I.O.O.F. and G.A.R. He has been justice of the peace of Troy township fifteen years and was re-elected in spring of 1891 for a fourth term; politically he is a Republican.
CHARLES H. BALLARD, farmer of Columbia township, P.O. Sylvania, was born in Burlington township, this county, a son of Myron and thankful (Calkins) Ballard; his paternal grandfather, Nathaniel Ballard, a native of Vermont, born December 27, 1778, was a son of John Ballard and both were pioneers of Burlington township. Nathaniel and John Ballard made the first clearing in Columbia township on what is now known as the Card farm, also cleared the Nash place in Sylvania; they cut the timber off of three acres, but, getting tired of their bargain, traded their claim for a dog and returned to Burlington where they had originally settled in 1796. Nathaniel returned to Columbia township in 1833, where he resided until his death, November 1, 1861; his wife was Susannah, a daughter of William and Mary (McLain) Dobbins of Burlington township and be her had three children; Myron, Celestia (Mrs. Joel Stevens) and Betsy (Mrs. Addison McDole) of whom Myron was born in Burlington township, this county, residing there until 1836, and cleared the east part of what is now the County Poor-Farm; he removed to Columbia town-
ship in 1836 and died there January 16, 1878. His wife, Thankful (Calkins) Ballard was the daughter of Deacon Moses and thankful (Stevens) Calkins of Burlington township, and he had her by her eleven children, seven of whom grew to maturity; Charles H., Mary A., Horace A., Benjamin M____, Jane E. (Mrs. Hezekiah Peck), Addison McD., Susannah C. (Mrs. John H. Watkins). Charles H. Ballard was reared in Burlington township and has always followed farming; has cleared and improved a part of the farm he now occupies. He married June 27, 1844, Lucy J., daughter of Charles and Miranda (Canfield) Taylor and granddaughter of Moses Taylor, one of the first settlers of Columbia township. Mr. And Mrs. Ballard have one daughter, Mary A.; he is a member of the Universalist Church and in politics is a Republican.
LERT J. BALLARD, of DeWitt & Ballard, dealers in general merchandise, Troy, was born in Troy township, this county, May 24, 1841 and is a son of John V. and Maria (Smith) Ballard. His paternal grandparents, Thomas and Kate (Provin) Ballard, natives of Massachusetts, were pioneers of Burlington township, this county, and his maternal grandfather, Enos Smith, was a pioneer of Smithfield township. John V. Ballard, father of our subject, was born in Bradford county and has been a resident of Troy township many years; he cleared and improved the farm he now occupies; his children were five in number; Shepard H. Scevelon A., guy S., Lert J., and Job. Our subject was reared on the old homestead in Troy township and received a common school education. He was in the Civil War, enlisting August 8, 1862 in Company D, One Hundred and Thirty second P.V.I., and was in the battles of Antietam, Chancellorsville, South Mountain and in other minor engagements, and was honorable discharged after nine months’ service. He then engaged in farming until 1876 when he embarked in a general merchandise business, and has been a member of the firm of DeWitt & Ballard since. In 1862 he married Martha, daughter of Guernsey and Jane (Brizzee) Blakeslee, of West Burlington and has four children: Jennie (Mrs. H.A. Stiles), Oscar Born, Katherine and Mahlon. Mr. Ballard is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of the F. & A.M. and G.A.R. and in politics is a Republican.
SHEPARD H. BALLARD, farmer, Troy township, P.O. Troy, was born in Burlington township, this county, June 11, 1833, a son of John V. and Maria (Smith) Ballard. His paternal grandparents were Thomas and Kate (Provin) Ballard, natives of Massachusetts, and pioneers of Burlington township, and his maternal grandfather was Enos Smith, a pioneer of Smithfield township. The subject of this sketch was reared in Troy township, educated in common schools and on attaining his majority engaged in the mercantile business in Troy for one year. He then settled in Burlington township and engaged and partially cleared and improved a farm which he still owns, and lived there until 1883, when he removed to Troy, where he has since resided. In 1858 he married Lucena E., daughter of Capt. Alvin and Julia (Smith) Bailey, of CT. and has three children; Dix, Dell (Mrs. A.T. Parks) and Ray. Mr. Ballard is a descendant of the oldest families of Bradford county; politically he is a Republican.