History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Samuel S. Bronson married Ursula Humphrey, April 28, 1814, and had the following children: Samuel H., born July 12, 1815; a son, born November 18, 1816, and died; Lyman H., born March 17, 1818; Cynthia Ann, born January 10, 1821; Perintha, born July 7, 1823; and Samuel Newton, born July 2, 1825, the only survivor. The subject of this sketch was first married July 21, 1853, to Margaret Garretson, of Wilkes-Barre, PA., a daughter of Stephen and Mary Ann Garretson, and by this marriage were born the following children: Edith May, born June 25, 1858; Jennie C., born August 21, 1859, and died in infancy; Edith May, married to L. De Witt Griswold, May 9, 1878. This wife dying January 3, 1861, Mr. Bronson married September 19, 1861, Mrs. Caroline C. Elsbree, of Warren, Pa., a widow of James T. Elsbree, and daughter of Samuel Lyon, by which marriage there were two children: Ira Lincoln, born May 20, 1865, now in Chicago, and Flora A., born September 19, 1867, married to Charles W. Eastman, August 4, 1890.
Samuel N. Bronson’s father was a learned physician who practiced his profession at Burlington, Conn., and died aged thirty-nine years. He was a man of great promise to the people of his section, and skilled in professional as well as in church life. The grandfather was a soldier of the Revolution, and served under Washington; he came to Orwell during his old age, and died here. The great-grandfather had served in the French-Indian War. After his parent’s death, Samuel N. made his home with his uncle Ira, and came with him to Orwell in 1839, and in 1840 Ira Bronson built the house where H. Champlin now lives, and there resided until his death. Samuel worked on his uncle’s farm during boyhood, and secured an academical education. After reaching his majority, he began teaching school and was thus engaged winters, two years: then clerked in a general store at Orwell Hill nearly five years, when he formed a partnership with H. Z. Frisbie under the firm name of Frisbie & Bronson, which continued for two years, when Mr. Frisbie retired, and a firm of four was formed, the style of the firm being Humphrey & Co., which, two years thereafter, was dissolved. Mr. Bronson continuing alone in the building now occupied by Mr. Coburn, and changed to the old stand, now of Mr. Cowles, where he remained until 1871, when he retired from the mercantile trade and devoted his attention to real estate, steam saw and lathe mill, and other business. About 1853, T. Humphrey (or the company) started a tin shop and a cooper shop; in 1856, S. N. Bronson purchased the coopering and tinware business, and soon had on the road one or two peddlers of tinware and notions-two years’ peddling by Bronson & Doolittle, and for about ten years he was running it alone.
Mr. Bronson was three times appointed postmaster, holding the office about eighteen years, and has held the position of first lieutenant in the Orwell Artillery Company, first appointed May 4, 1846. He has been a member of the Presbyterian Church all his life, an untiring worker in the same, and an elder many years, filling also the position of chorister, Sunday school superintendent and treasurer of the church, and of the Sunday-school. He is a Republican in politics, and held numerous township offices; was town treasurer during the years 1851-52-53-54-61-62 and 77, and town clerk during the years 1883-84-85-89 and 90.
B. F. BROWN, farmer, P.O. Athens, was born in Providence R.I., April 23, 1850, is the son of S. W. Harriet (Reynolds) Brown, native of Providence, of whom the former was born July 7, 1801, the latter December 17, 1815; they removed to this county in 1852, locating in Athens township, on what is now known as the Sawyer place, and resided there six years; the mother died July 13, 1858, after which the father sold the property to William Sawyer, removing farther north and west, and purchased a farm. He subsequently traded that for the one now owned by his son, B. F. Brown, and removed thither in 1876; he died in 1881, in his eightieth year; his family consisted of seven children, two sons and five daughters, four of whom are now living. Our subject, who is the seventh of the family, was reared and educated in Athens in the common school, and always confined himself to farm work; he began business for himself by buying a farm of eighty acres in 1876, on which he has worked faithfully and with effect; in 1888 he added fifty-eight acres to the above. He was married in 1878 to Miss Eliza, daughter of Warren W. and Anna Wilson, whose parents removed to this county from New York State, and by this union there were five children, viz.,: Minnie, May, Harriet E., Anna B., Susan E. and Fred W. Mr. Brown is employed in mixed farming, and is a successful and enterprising man; his premises are well watered with never-failing springs; his stock is on the finest quality, some of them being registered. He has held various offices of public trust in the town; is a member of the Iron Hall, and politically is a Republican.
CHARLES J. BROWN was born in Towanda, June 9, 1938, and was the adopted son of Jesse E. Brown, who was a farmer, born in Wyalusing in 1797; moved to Sheshequin in 1823, and died in 1882. Charles received his education in the common schools of Sheshequin. His musical instructors were J. G. Towner and F. F. Bliss, and he has taught music twenty-five years. The farm he now occupies is the one his father lived on when he came to the township, and consists of 193 acres, seventy-five of which are in the bottoms, all susceptible of cultivation. He was married July 16, 1861, to Maryan Seely, daughter of Joseph Seely, of Rome township. He has two children, a son, Hanford, and a daughter, Ethlin. Mr. Brown’s political views are Republican. His grandfather’s family were in Wyoming at the time of the battle.
CHARLES L. BROWN, farmer and dairyman, P.O. Towanda, a son of Barker and Elizabeth (Seltzer) Brown, was born in Wyoming County, June 6, 1849. His father was a native of this state, and his mother of Connecticut, whose ancestors were of German and English origin, and were agriculturists. Charles L., who is the third in a family of four children grew to maturity, was educated in the common schools of Burlington township, and spent his early life on his father’s farm. At his majority he became a tiller of the soil, and is now one of the leading and successful farmers of North Towanda, where he has a fine farm of 125 acres. He settled on his present homestead many years ago, where he soon added the dairy and milk business to his other interests. Mr. Brown was married August 20, 1868, to Sophia Morehouse, and there have been born to them six children. He is a genial, agreeable gentleman, and has a wide circle of friends. Mr. Brown votes the Republican ticket, and takes an active interest in the affairs of both township and county.
CLARK M. BROWN, farmer and stock grower, Wyalusing township, P.O. Wyalusing, is among the most prominent of Bradford’s farmers, and was born May 14, 1838, on the farm he now owns in Wyalusing township, a direct descendant of Thomas Brown, who was one of the most prominent of the pioneers of Wyalusing, and a son of Mason and Harriet (Harmon) Brown. His father was born at Browntown, and was one of the prominent farmers of that section; he had a family of ten children, as follows: Rachel, married to Lorenzo Allen, and after his death was married to Hugh Daugherty; David; Eliza (deceased); Hannah; Emma, married to George Jackson and living at Paterson, N.J.; James, a farmer, of Wyalusing; Harriet, residing in Wyalusing; William, of Washington State; Libbie (deceased); and Clark M. Our subject was born and reared on a farm, and received a limited common-school education, following farming until 1852. For ten years he was engaged in navigating the North Branch canal; then resumed farming, which he has since continued. In 1869 he purchased the old homestead, and proceeded to improve the same, and now has as beautiful a home as the county affords, having added to his original farm until he owns 280 acres. He was united in marriage with Jane Woodfield, daughter of James Woodfield, of this county, December 2, 1860. This union has been blessed with nine children; Stella, married to Rev. John Nichols (soon after their marriage her husband was sent as a missionary to India, and she accompanied him there, where after a sojourn of a year he died; she then returned to her parents, and was married, the second time, to Rev. F. H. Crissman, now residing in Blairsville, Pa.); Charles R., of Syracuse; Lewis of Stillwater, Minn.; Belle, Oscar, Jennie, Harmon, Homer and Clyde. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Wyalusing. Politically Mr. Brown in a Democrat, and is one of the successful men of the county; has always been a hard worker. Besides the accumulation and improvements of his land he has given his children the advantages of a good education, and has been a liberal supporter of all Christian and benevolent enterprises.
D. K. BROWN, retired, Wyalusing, was born at Browntown, Wyalusing township, this county, February 24, 1826, a son of Ira and Nancy (King) Brown. His father was also born in Wyalusing township in 1801, a son of Daniel Brown, a survivor of the Wyoming massacre. Ira, who was one of the pioneers of this section, had three children, of whom the subject is the eldest; J. Morgan is the genial proprietor of the "Wyalusing Hotel," and Adaline is married to A. H. Kingsbury, of Towanda. The father was a farmer, and at his death had accumulated quite an extensive body of land, sixty-five acres of which remain in the possession of D. K. Brown. He was born and reared on the farm and educated in the common school. When eighteen years old he started to serve an apprenticeship at the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade, with his uncle Nelson Brown of Towanda. And after serving only two years he began for himself. He worked in Towanda two years, and then returned to Wyalusing where he followed the trade to the present time, having been interested in the building of almost every house in Wyalusing, the bank building and many other buildings in Dushore, beside a great amount of work at Scranton and other points. He has recently remodeled and modernized his residence, making it one of the handsomest homes in Wyalusing; he has also erected an elegant workshop, which he has supplied with all modern machines for the use of his craft. With the contractors and builders of this county he ranks among the foremost, and besides following his trade, he has taken an active interest in farming, and owns a productive little farm on the banks of the Susquehanna. Mr. Brown was united in wedlock, August 14, 1848, with Hettie, daughter of Joseph and Rachel (Birney) Stalford, pioneers of this county; her parents had the following children besides her: Catherine, who married Joseph Baker and removed to Greenville, Ohio, where they both died; Samuel, who died at Danville, PA.; John, who died in infancy. To Mr. And Mrs. Brown have been born three children: Anna E., born November 5, 1849, married to C. A. Stowell, of Wyalusing; Francis A., born June 15, 1851, died September 29, 1852, and Emily A., born May 9, 1854, married to H. J. Lloyd, of Wyalusing. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mrs. Brown in an active member. Mr. Brown is a stanch Republican and has held various town and borough offices, being the first burgess in Wyalusing. Besides his other business he has been dealing in lumber, doors, blinds and all carpenter’s supplies.
D. S. BROWN, a wagon maker, Wilawana, was born in Morrison, N. J., October 1, 1814, a son of Aaron and Betsey (Crane) Brown, to natives of New Jersey. Aaron Brown migrated from New Jersey to Chemung, N.Y., in 1816, where he resided two years; thence moved to Wellsburg (then called Southport), where he worked at his trade, wagon making, until his death, which occurred in 1848, when he was at an advanced age; his children numbered five, all of whom grew to maturity, and two are now living. D. S., who is the second in the family, was reared and educated in Wellsburg, N.Y., and learned the wagon maker’s trade of his father. At the age of twenty-three he married Hannah, daughter of James and Margaret Burt, by which marriage there were two children: Martha and Emeline, both now deceased; his second wife, whom he married December 9, 1843, was Polly, daughter of William and Fanny Seeley, by which union there were four children: Frances L. (was married to Charles Cain, and had two children – Carrie and Minnie – both of whom are married, and have each three children), Alice (married to Charles W. Howard, a merchant of Corning, N.Y.), William (married to Eva daughter of Dr. F. W. Keise, of Wilawanna) and F. L. (deceased). William is a skilled mechanic and works with his father, doing the iron work. Mr. Brown removed to Wilawana in 1845, and opened the first tavern in the village, which was then called Orcutt Creek, from which he retired after the lapse of two years. In 1847 he went into partnership with Anson Beidleman in the mercantile business, but after three or four years Mr. Beidleman purchased the entire business, and Mr. Brown confined himself to his trade. In addition to his village property, he has a small farm of forty-five acres, which he works. He is much respected by his fellow-citizens who elected him to various responsible offices; he was postmaster seven years, and was then succeeded by his son William; was constable, assessor and school director; is a member of the Christian Church, and is a Democrat.
EDWARD H. BROWN, of the firm of Brown, Rockwell & Co., merchants, New Albany, was born at Laddsburg, Pa., July 6, 1861, a son of John and Catherine (Ladd) Brown. His father, of Irish origin, was born in this State; the grandfather, a farmer, was a native of Ireland. His mother is a native of Albany township, and a granddaughter of Horatio Ladd, whose father, Ephraim and himself were of the first settlers in the township of Albany. Our subject was reared on his father’s farm and educated in the schools of the township, Towanda, and Starkey Seminary, Yeates county, N.Y. At the age of seventeen he commenced teaching school, which he followed some years, continuing his studies. In 1886 he engaged as a clerk in the store of Hon. S. D. Sterigere, at New Albany, and after nine months he purchased an interest in the business, which had been successfully established more than twenty-five years, under the firm name of Sterigere & Co. Mr. Brown was married, in 1886, to Ella Sterigere, a daughter of the former owner of the business, Hon. S. D. Sterigere, who was in the State Legislature in 1884-85, being elected by the Republican party. Mr. Brown is a Republican in politics, but devotes his entire time to business, and is one of the substantial and growing men of the county.
F.S. BROWN, ticket and Adams Express agent, Sayre, is a native of Addison, N.Y., and was born March 29, 1854, a son of John N. and Sarah C. (Langford) Brown, natives of New York State, the former of whom is a retired merchant, and has been postmaster at Addison, N.Y., fifteen years. F. S. Brown, who is the fourth in a family of six children (of whom the youngest four are now living), received his education in the public schools of his native place, and in 1872 he went to Athens and served a three-years’ apprenticeship at telegraphy; from there he moved to Towanda, and was operator at the upper depot for the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company about three years, and then was the station agent for the Barclay Railroad Company about four years, after which he went to Elizabeth, and was in the superintendent’s office of the New Jersey Central Railroad about a year; then came to Sayre and worked in the offices until April, 1888, when he was appointed ticket agent and Adams Express agent at Sayre. Mr. Brown was married in Athens, October 13, 1875, to Miss Emma A., daughter of Edmund A. and Maria (Jackway) Kenyon, natives of this county, former of who was a merchant a number of years in Athens. Mrs. Brown is the elder of two children, and was born in Windham township, this county, 1858. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown has been born a daughter Bessie. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics Mr. Brown is a Republican.
IRA A. BROWN, farmer and stock grower, Wyalusing, born in this county, August 13, 1854, and is a son of J. M. Brown ( proprietor of the "Wyalusing Hotel") and Sarah A. (Jennings) Brown, who had two children, Ira A. and Carrie, the latter of whom married Richard McCann, a mechanic working in the Pullman Car Shops, Chicago. The mother dying while our subject was quite young, he made his home with his grandfather, Ira Brown, one of the pioneers of this section, was educated in the common schools of Wyalusing, and worked the farm of his grandfather, who left the same to him at his death. He followed farming on the old homestead until 1884, when he went to Wyalusing borough and assisted his father in conducting the "Wyalusing Hotel," remaining there four years; then returned to the old farm in Wyalusing township, where he has since resided, and which contains 150 acres of as fine land as the county affords, all under cultivation and well improved. In 1890 he began extensive lumber operations, as the farm comprises a timber lot containing 200,000 feet of lumber which he is now engaged in getting ready for the market; has his farm well stocked with cattle and horses. Mr. Brown was united in wedlock, September 25, 1877, with Frances Cox, daughter of Cornelius Cox, of Vaughn Hill, this county, and they have had three children, all now deceased. Mr. Brown is an active member of and classleader in the Methodist Episcopal Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
JAMES R. BROWN (deceased) was a native of Vermont, born February 19, 1838, his parents being Christopher and Mary Brown, also natives of Vermont; the father died in 1882, the mother died several years ago; they were the parents of five children, of whom James R. was the third. James R. Brown spent his young life in Massachusetts, and in 1870 came to Bradford county, first locating in Orwell township, and thence went to Windham township, where he spent the remainder of his days, and died possessed of a highly improved farm of fifty-two acres. He married, in Massachusetts, Lydia A. Stetson, daughter of Leonard and Sophia P. (Alger) Stetson, natives of Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, respectively, of which marriage were born seven children as follows: Mary (married Elmer Cole, of Litchfield), Alice M. (wife of Francis Strope, of Windham), Jennie, Arthur M., Stetson, Harry and Howard. James R. Brown departed this life in Windham township in 1885, greatly regretted by everyone, and profoundly mourned by his family and friends; he was known in life as a good man, a good and true friend, affectionate father and a loving and devoted husband; he served his country, as a soldier enlisting in 1864, in Company K, One Hundred and Ninth N.Y.I., serving until the close of the war, enduring many hardships, exposures and sickness, which eventually caused his death. He was a member of the K. of H.
JOHN H. BROWN, farmer and stock-grower, of Wyalusing Township, P.O. Merryall, was born at Standing Stone this county, December 30, 1832, a son of Benjamin and Jane (Houk) Brown, and a lineal descendant of Thomas Brown, the first of the name to settle in the county. The father was born at Browntown, April 27, 1782, and died April 14, 1834; the mother was born at Standing Stone, May 24, 1792, and died October 28, 1872. Their family comprised the following named children: Guy (deceased), Septer, Lloyd, Blondine (married to John Tewillayen, whom she survives, and resides at Standing Stone), Ellen (married to Harry Clark), Collins L., Allen, Charles, Sarah (married to Austin Frost), and John H., the youngest in the family. Our subject was educated in the common schools of his day, and upon reaching his majority adopted farming as an occupation, which he has since followed. He was drafted September 27, 1864, and served in Company I. Fifty-first Regiment Pennsylvania Drafted Infantry, serving until June 2, 1865, when he was discharged. He was before Petersburg four months, and at the attack on Fort Steadman. After the close of the war he returned to Bradford County, and in 1857 purchased a farm in Herrick Township, where he resided until 1887, when he purchased his present farm in Wyalusing Township. He now owns sixty-one acres of fine farm land, beautifully located and well improved and stocked, where he does a general farming business. Mr. Brown was married November 23, 1840, a daughter of Nathan Coleman (deceased) of Herrick, and this union was blessed with six children: Sarah J., born September 29, 1860, married to J. Baxter, a farmer of Sheshequin; Nelson, born October 28, 1866, died October 5, 1869; Nellie M., born July 18, 1969, married to John Shooks a farmer of Herrick township; Anna M., born September 10, 1871, died July 25, 1878; Myrtella, born June 3, 1874, and Frances S., born April 3, 1880. Mr. Brown is a charter member of Hurst Post, No. 86 G.A.R., and in his political views he is a Democrat.
J.H. BROWN, farmer, P.O. Canton, is a native of Southport, Chemung County, N.Y., and was born June 18, 1857, a son of John and Martha C. (Wier) Brown, natives of Chemung county, N.Y. John Brown was in early life a lumberman, and is now president and general superintendent of the Elmira Silver Mining Co.’s mines in Banner, Idaho, a position he has held for eleven years; was five years a member of the Elmira Board of Supervisors and was chairman of the board for sometime. The subject of this memoir is the fifth in order of birth in a family of two sons and four daughters; his brother William D. Brown organized the State Bank of Lisbon, Dak., and has held the office of president since the organization. J. H. Brown was reared in Southport, N.Y., and received an academic education at Cook Academy, Havanna, N.Y., where he attended two years. His father was the owner of Webb’s Mills, consisting of one gristmill, two sawmills and timberland, and worked for his father two years; then he and his brother, William D., purchased the business from their father, and they operated the mills together about three years, when J. H. purchased his brother’s interest, and in a short time sold and removed to Grover, Pa. In 1884 he was associated in the lumber business with W. J. Roy, three years, under the firm name of Brown & Roy, and they had one of the largest mills outside of Williamsport. This they sold to Mial E. Lilley, and Mr. Brown purchased a farm where Ezra Spaulding settled in 1796 and built the first hotel in this part of the county; the farm contains one hundred and sixty acres, fine buildings, and is under a good state of cultivation. Mr. Brown was first married in Elmira, N.Y., in 1879, to Miss Eda, daughter of Oscar W. and Mary Ann (Nichols) Streeter, natives of Connecticut. Oscar W. Streeter was a mine operator in California. Mrs. Streeter is a daughter of Draper Nichols, who was a prominent lumberman, of Southport, N.Y., and helped build the Northern Central Railroad. Mrs. Brown, who was the only child, was born in Southport, August 10, 1858, and died at Hinesville, Ga., while there for her health, April 4, 1889. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown were born two children: Fanny May and Nellie Louise. Mr. Brown was married (the second time) in Canton, August 11, 1890, to Miss Belle C., daughter of Hon. B.S. and Achsah E. (Manley) Dartt.
[Hon. B.S. Dartt was born September 8, 1826, in Charleston township, Tioga Co., Pa., and there lived until he was seventeen years of age, when he removed to Canton, and was apprenticed to Seneca Kendall to learn the carriage-maker’s trade, where he remained three years; then taught school one year. At the age of twenty-one he was united in marriage with Miss Achsah E., daughter of Thomas and Bestsey Manley, of East Canton. To this happy union were born five children – one son and four daughters- namely: Thomas M. (deceased); Clara (deceased); Ida I., married to R. A. Hazleton; Fannie P., married to Charles D. Derrah; and Belle C. (Mrs. J. H. Brown]. Mr. Dartt enlisted in Company C., Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalary, service until "the last rebel laid down his arms, earning his promotions personal bravery and good and faithful soldiership, and when peace returned to our country, the lieutenant returned to his home with a major’s straps on his worthy shoulders." In 1866 Maj. Dartt removed with his family to Canton, and in partnership with Aaron Spaulding, engaged in the hardware business many years under the firm name of Spaulding and Dartt. After Mr. Spaulding’s death, in 1874, Mr. Dartt carried on the business alone. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and organized the first Sunday school in Canton, of which he was superintendent many years; was a member of the order of Good Templars, of which he was Grand Chief Templar of the State during the years 1875-76; a member of the G.A.R. Post and of the Masonic Fraternity. In 1871 he was elected to the lower house of the State Legislature to represent Bradford County, and served two successive terms with honor and credit to his party. He suffered several years from heart disease, and died at his residence in Canton, February 12, 1886, in the sixtieth year of his age].
Mrs. Brown is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Brown of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the F.&A.M., Canton Lodge No. 415; Troy Chapter, No. 261, and Canton Commandery No. 64; is a member of the Keystone Grange, and president of the Union Agricultural Association. Politically he is a Republican.
L. O. BROWN, farmer, P.O. Orwell, was born July 1, 1830, in Orwell township, this county, on the farm now owned by G. W. Brown, and is a son of Uriah S. and Pearlie (Howe) Brown, the former of whom was born in West Chester County, N.Y., but came to this county in early times. He had a family of sixteen children, twelve of whom reached maturity, vis.: E. R., G. W., Mehetable (deceased), Nathan (deceased), L.O., Augustus (deceased), James H., Sallie S., Almira (deceased), Mary, Henry (who was killed at the second battle of Bull Run; he was a member of the Sixth Pennsylvania reserves) Lucy (married to John Eastman) and Terrissa J. The father in early life was a shoemaker, carrying his kit from house to house, traveling sometimes on foot and sometimes on horseback, and there were but few of the early families of this section of the country in his day who did not know him, and avail themselves of his skill. He had purchased a home in the wilderness where, in a rude log house, he left his wife and young children alone for days, while he pursued his calling, making and mending shoes to pay for his farm; he was killed by being thrown from a wagon by a run-away team in 1865. L.O. Brown passed his boyhood on the old homestead and at the common schools. When twenty-one he purchased a farm, and began farming which he first followed in Windham, where he lived eight years; then bought the farm he now occupies, comprising one hundred and thirty acres, all finely improved and well stocked. He was united in wedlock December 31, 1856, with Ellen, daughter of Jacob and Minerya (Tupper) Chubbuck, and to them have been born three children: Fred L., born October 11, 1860 (was educated in the common schools and at the Orwell Hill Academy, and became a book-keeper in Wilkes-Barre; he married Maggie Green): Ella M. (born December 9, 1865, died February 19, 1879), and Frank H. (born January 1 1871, residing with his parents). The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Brown is class leader and trustee. He has been a member for over thirty years, and an earnest worker during all that time. He belongs to the Prohibition party, and has held the office of school director.
MORRIS C. BROWN, farmer, in Springfield township, P.O. Big Pond, was born February 28, 1837, in Chenango county, N.Y., a son of Benjamin and Didama (Crandall) Brown, the former a native of Massachusetts, and the latter of Chenango county. The father, who was a carpenter and farmer, removed to his county and settled, in 1840, near where the son, Morris C., now resides, and cleared a large farm. He raised a family of nine children, of whom our subject is the third in the order of birth. One of the sons, Joseph B. served all through the Civil War, and was promoted from the ranks to be captain. The father, who was a man of influence, and a faithful Christian, died at the age of seventy-five years, and the mother at the age of seventy-six years. Morris C. Brown was reared on the farm, was educated in the schools of the town, and at his majority became a farmer. He was married July 28, 1861, to Harriet Leonard, of Springfield, who was born May 10, 1845, a daughter of Carlton and Diantha (Gates) Leonard, both families having been among the early settlers in the township; her father was a teacher in early life, was sheriff of Luzerne county, Pa., and a merchant, and died at the age of seventy-five years, in Mercer county; her mother is living at the age of sixty years. To Mr. and Mrs. Brown have been born two children: Dora E., born September 18, 1864, wife of Burdell Smith a farmer of Springfield township; Mamie J., born May 21, 1867, wife of Elsworth Grace, a farmer of Smithfield township. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Brown is a Republican in politics, and a member of the International Fraternal Alliance of Baltimore, Md. He has a fine farm of one hundred and seventy acres, and his principal business is now sheep raising, formerly dairying. He is a good neighbor and a kind friend, respected by all who know him.
OSCAR M. BROWN, farmer and stockgrower, P.O. West Warren, was born October 27, 1958, on the place he now occupies in Orwell township, and is a son of George W. and Betsie (Morey) Brown, the former of whom was born in West Chester county, N.Y., in 1822, and came to this county with his father when six years old, and helped to improve this farm, occupying an old log house which stood close to the present site of the house. Grandfather, Uriah S. Brown was one of the early pioneers. The mother was a native of this county, and when married resided where Dr. Conklin now lives. The father spent the greater portion of his life on the same farm, but about 1867 he purchased one hundred and twenty-six acres of timber land in Warren Township, and removed to it in 1884; spent three years there, and then proceeded to Nichols, N.Y., and retired from active life. He had a family of six children: Charles W. M. Brown, M.D., of Elmira; George I., of Dubuque, Iowa; Stephen A., deceased, late of North Bend, Neb.; Martha J., married to James Baldwin; Oscar M., and Emma L., married to Seymour Canfield. Oscar M. was born on a farm, and received his education in the common school. He is