History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
JOSEPH CAMPBELL, farmer, of New Albany township, P. O. New Albany, was born in Monroe township, this county, March 27, 1834, a son of John and Mary (Winter) Campbell, the former of whom, a miller, was of Scotch origin and a native of Lancaster county, Pa.; the latter was of Dutch ancestry, a native of Monroe township. The grandparents were among the early settlers in the county. The father attended the first mill at Masontown, and then built a mill in company with Jeremiah Blackman, near the line of Monroe and Albany, and has been connected with milling and farming all his life. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father’s farm, and has followed farming many years. In February, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, One Hundred and Seventh P. V. I., and served one term; in January, 1864, he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment, and served altogether three years, three months and eleven days. While on skirmish line in front of Petersburg, he was wounded by a gunshot in the left arm, which necessitated amputation near the shoulder. He was in the service until May, 1865, and enjoys the largest pension in the township. He had three brothers, four brothers-in-law and five nephews in the Civil War. Since his return home he has been a teacher, having taught sixteen terms of school. Mr. Campbell was married, December 25, 1859, to Lurinda Brown, of New Albany, born in 1842, and to this union were born two children, both of whom died in infancy. Mr. Campbell is a quiet and much respected citizen; a Republican in politics, he is well-informed in political matters.
JOSEPHUS CAMPBELL, (deceased) was born in Burlington, this county, November 13, 1818. His paternal grandfather, James Campbell, one of the first, if not the first, settler in the town of Burlington, was of Scotch ancestry and directly descended from the Pilgrims, and his son, the father of our subject, was born in Massachusetts and was a mere lad when the family removed to Burlington township. The grandfather, James, died here in 1813 at a great age; he was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Our subject married Asenath Miller in 1841, and to them were born five children, of whom Delmer V. and Homer C. (twins), born June 10, 1860, are now on the old homestead. Mr. Campbell was a man of influence and a Republican in Politics; he was county commissioner at one time, and held other offices of public trust; he died in 1874 at the age of fifty-five years. Mrs. Campbell survives him and is now aged sixty-eight years. Homer C. Campbell, who is a bachelor, owns one hundred and sixty acres of the old farm; Delmer V. owns ninety-five acres of the same; it is as fine farming land as can be found in the township. Delmer V. married Julia Moscrip, daughter of William Moscrip, a farmer, a Scotchman by birth, who came to America as a young man.
STERLING K. CAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Hoblet, was born in Smithfield township, this county, January 30, 1850, a son of George W. and Harriet (Kingsley) Campbell, former of whom was born in Burlington township, and latter in Smithfield, this county; his great-grandfather was from Scotland. Sterling K. Campbell is the seventh in a family of nine children, of whom two sons, George and Chauncy C., were in the Civil War; George served through the entire conflict, and was a prisoner for thirteen months. Mr. Campbell, our subject, was reared on his father’s farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits. He was married, November 9, 1871, to Arlett Bird, who was born November 19, 1847, and died April 14, 1884; she was a daughter of Orpheus Bird, of Smithfield. To Mr. and Mrs. Campbell were born four children, viz: Jennie B., born September 25, 1872; Ida M., born March 31, 1874; Lettie B., born November 16, 1876, and Harry S., born august 28, 1878. Mr. Campbell has by perseverance and economy become the owner of a fine farm of one hundred acres, and he is a successful business man. He is a member of the Knights of Honor; he is a Republican, and an active worker, taking an interest in the affairs of the town, and in politics in general.
WILLIAM B. CAMPBELL, farmer, P. O. Brink Hill, was born October 25, 1846, in Litchfield township, Bradford Co., Pa., on the farm he now owns, son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Struble) Campbell. He received his early education in the common schools of Litchfield township, and at the age of twenty-one engaged in farming, which he has since followed in connection with steam threshing; his farm, which he has greatly improved, having recently erected a fine residence thereon, consists of one hundred and twenty-five acres of land nearly all improved. Mr. Campbell married, in 1887, Mattie, daughter of John and Laura (Shockey) Campbell. She is the fifth of her parents’ six children: George, the eldest, married Mary Henderson, deceased; Alice married W. Cowles, a wagon-maker in Athens township; Frank; William (died at the age of two years) and Harry. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell have one child, Mable L., a bright little girl of two years. Politically Mr. Campbell is a Democrat, and now holds the office of postmaster at Brink Hill.
CLARENCE W. CANFIELD, chief clerk and paymaster, Union Bridge Works, Athens, is a native of Athens, born July 2, 1848, a son of John E. and Fannie E. (Reeve) Canfield, natives of Orange county, N. Y. His father was a prominent member of the Bradford bar, admitted to the practice in this county, and devoted the best years of his life to his profession; he died in February, 1860, in his forty-first year; his widow survives. Mr. Canfield’s grandfather, on his mother’s side, was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. C. W. Canfield is the eldest in a family of five children, of whom two are living. In September, 1862, he joined the State Militia under Gov. Curtin’s first call, but was out only a short time, after which he worked on a farm until September, 1864, when he went to Virginia, and was engaged in the Government Construction Corps. Returning home after the close of the war, he was then for a time employed in the engineer corps of the Lehigh Valley extension, and on the opening of the road, in 1868, was newsboy for a year; then joined the engineering department of the Ithaca & Athens Railroad, and during the construction of same in 1870 and part of 1871 he had charge of the northern end under the chief engineer.
Early in 1871 Mr. Canfield entered the employ of Col. C. F. Welles, as clerk and bookkeeper, where he remained until after his death. In November, 1875, he began work for Kellogg & Maurice (succeeded by Union Bridge Company), and has been in their employ since. Mr. Canfield was married in Binghamton, N. Y.,. in June, 1873, to Hattie C., daughter of Jabez and Fannie E. (Curry) Havens, natives of this county (she is the fourth in a family of seven children, and was born in this county, August 30, 1849). To Mr. and Mrs. Canfield were born two children: Mary I. and Fanny E. Mrs. Canfield is a member of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Canfield is a member of the F. & A. M., Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, Union chapter, No. 161, Northern Comandery, No. 15; Lulu Temple A. A. O. N. M. S., Philadelphia; also Perkins Post, No. 202, G. A. R. He received, unsolicited, the unanimous Democratic nomination for Congress (Fifteenth District) in 1890, made only one month before election, and reduced the old-time Republican majority of between 5,000 and 6,000 to 2,200.
DANIEL C. CANFIELD, farmer, P. O. Austinville, was born May 27, 1827, in Columbia township, this county, on the farm where he now resides, and is a son of Moses B. and Betsey (Crippen) Canfield; his paternal grandparents were Oliver and Sally (Bradley) Canfield, who came from Redding, Fairfield Co., Conn., to Bradford county in 1800, and stopped for a year where Austinville now stands, clearing a small tract of land, and then removed to the farm occupied by subject, which, with the assistance of his son, Moses B., he (the grandfather) cleared and improved, and here he died. He was a Revolutionary soldier seven years, and did all the marching barefoot over the frozen ground and snow. He was the father of two children, Moses B. and Daniel, the former of whom succeeded to the homestead, on which he resided for many years; the last ten years of his life were spent in Rutland township, Tioga Co., Pa., where he died in 1868, at the age of seventy-four years; his wife was a daughter of Roswell Crippen, of Delawar county, N. Y., by whom he had nine children: Sally (Mrs. Carlonus Spencer), Hiram, Polly (Mrs. Eben J. Bosworth), Daniel C., Lucy (Mrs. Silas Holly), Ann (Mrs. Henry Van Nocken), Melinda (Mrs. Wright W. Clark), Oliver (died in the United States service during the late Civil War) and Louisa (Mrs. Leonard Bailey). Daniel C. Canfield was reared on the old homestead, where he has always resided, and which has been in the Canfield name upward of eighty years. He married, February 10, 1856, Lydia, daughter of David and Lois (Brown) Edgeton, of Sullivan, Tioga Co., Pa., and by her he had two children: William D. and Emma (wife of Alfred Burleigh, but died), leaving one son, Harold C.) Mr. Canfield is a leading and enterprising farmer of Columbia township. In politics, he is a Republican.
CHARLES H. CARD, farmer, P. O. Sylvania, was born in Columbia township, this county, December 5, 1842, and is a son of Henry B. and Sarah (Fish) Card. His paternal grandparents, Henry and Sally (Monro) Card, natives of Rhode Island, settled in Columbia township in 1829, and took up the farm now occupied by our subject and other members of the Card family, cleared and improved it and died there. Henry Card was twice married, first to Sally Monro, by whom he had ten children: Martha E. (Mrs. H. N. Fish), Henry B., Mary (Mrs. Thomas Ames), Sarah T. (Mrs. Benjamin Calkins), Elizabeth (Mrs. Reuben Nash), Julia S. (Mrs. James M. Thompson), George M., Caroline M. (Mrs. N. E. Calkins), Thomas M. and Hannah. Henry Card’s second wife was Catherine Miller, by whom he had three children: Anson M., Harriet and Joseph B. The father of our subject was reared in Columbia township from thirteen years of age, and in 1843 removed to Sullivan township, Tioga Co., where he cleared a farm which he still owns, and he resides in the township. By his wife, who was a daughter of Robert Fish, of Sullivan township, he had three children who grew to maturity: Charles H., Homer B. and Martha E. (Mrs. Frank Beardsley). In 1861 H. B. Card was elected treasurer of Tioga county for the term of two years. Charles H. Card was reared in Tioga county, Pa., was educated in common schools and Wellsboro Academy, and since attaining his majority he has been engaged in farming, stock-buying and butchering; for the past nine years he has resided on the old homestead in Columbia township. He was twice married: on first occasion to Mary, daughter of John Benedict, of Columbia township, by whom he had one child, Flaude; his second wife was Mary, daughter of Jefferson Bailey, of Granville township, and by her he has three children: Bowen, Ethel and Lula. Mr. Card was in the Civil War, having enlisted August 30, 1864, in company A, Two Hundred and Seventh P. V. I., and was honorably discharged after nine months’ service. He is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church; in politics is a Republican.
JOHN H. CAREY, farmer, P. O. South Warren, is a native of Connecticut, born December 13, 1823, a son of Daniel A. and Wealthy (Hamilton) Carey, also natives of Connecticut and of English stock. They were among the early farmers of Bradford county, as they came to Warren township in 1825; indeed the recollections of the oldest inhabitants here are that there was but one house in sight when Mr. Carey and his sons cleared their farm; the father died in 1874, and the mother in 1882. They had a family of ten children, of whom John H. is the fourth in the order of birth. He grew up as a pioneer boy of the time, giving sparse time to the schools, and learning all about clearing and farming and lumbering, the latter being his winter work when he was still a lad. He is now the owner of the old homestead, a fine farm of one hundred and forty acres, one of the best in the county. He was married in Warren township, in 1852, to Betsey L. Newman, daughter on Nathan and Parmelia (French) Newman, natives of Massachusetts and of English extraction, the former of whom came to this county in 1821, another pioneer to Warren township, and died in 1878, the latter had died in 1874; they had fourteen children, of whom Mrs. Carey is the fifth, born and educated and married in Warren township. The fruits of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Carey were four children, as follows: John Fremont, born July 21, 1856, the year Fremont became the first Republican candidate for President he married Jessie Smith, and has two children: Alice, born January 31, 1888, and William H., born November 9, 1889); Jessie Florence, born June 2, 1858, married John G. Dimon, and has one child, Lena, born August 9, 1880 (John G. Dimon, died July 9, 1881, and his wife followed him to the grave February 11, 1882); William H., born June 21, 1860, was married August 10, 1887, to Zoe W. Hopson, and has one child, Mildred, born April 12, 1890, and Martha Alice, born September 24, 1865. The voters of this family are Republicans. John H. Carey and family are Methodists, of which church he is trustee and class leader; has held the offices of assessor and judge of elections. His father was a prominent though quiet, good citizen, was a justice of the peace a full term, and was re-elected, but on account of failing health declined to accept the second term; he served several terms as supervisor.
JOHN CARMODY, yard boss, Lehigh Valley Railroad, Towanda, was born in Cappaghwhite, County Tipperary, Ireland, February 14, 1826, and is a son of Dennis and Jane (Cormick) Carmody, natives of Counties Tipperary and Limerick, Ireland, respectively. He was reared in his native county, and educated in the Government schools. In 1848 he came to America, and in the spring of 1849 settled in Browntown, this county, where he was employed by the North Branch Canal Company nine years. He removed from Browntown to Wyalusing, where he was one year “section boss” on the canal, and where he served twenty-five years in the same capacity, on what is known as the Lehigh Valley Railroad, and also three years in Towanda as yard boss. Mr. Carmody married, in 1841, Mary, daughter of Michael and Jane (Hammersley) Ryan, of County Tipperary, Ireland, by whom he had ten children, as follows: Jane (Mrs. John Whalen), Dennis (deceased), Sarah (Mrs. Michael Ryan), Mary, John, Michael, William (deceased), James, Thomas and Robert; all the sons living are energetic and enterprising men, and are occupying good positions. Mr. Carmody is a member of the Catholic Church; in politics he is a Democrat.
PHILO S. CARPENTER, M. D., Troy, was born in Springwater, Livingston Co., N. Y., April 15, 1848, a son of Seneca and Lydia (Bliss) Carpenter, natives of Massachusetts and of Puritan stock. He was reared in Allegany county, N. Y., and educated at Union Seminary, Rogersville, N. Y., where he was graduated in 1870. He began the study of medicine in 1871, with Dr. J. S. Doles, of Hornellsville, N. Y., and later studied with Dr. George St. John, of Canaseraga, N. Y. He entered the Medical Department of the University of Wooster at Cleveland, Ohio, September 1, 1872, where he was graduated in March, 1875. Soon after he began the practice of his profession at Austinville, this county, where he remained nine years, when he took a post-graduate course at Bellevue Hospital Medical College and New York Post Graduate School, where he was graduated in May, 1883. He then located in Troy, Pa., where he has been in active practice since. Dr. Carpenter married June 27, 1875, Sarah M., daughter of Israel F. and Jane E. (Wood) Aber, of Canaseraga, N. Y., and by her he has three children: Floyd A., Hermann F. and Nina B. The Doctor is a member of the Baptist Church, of the I. O. O. F., P. G., and the Elmira Academy of Medicine. He is a Republican.
CHARLES W. CARRIER, M. D., Troy, was born in Columbia, Chenango Co., N. Y., February 12, 1841, a son of John L. and Barbara (Weaver) Carrier, and is of English descent. He was reared in his native State, received an academical education, and in 1859 began the study of medicine with Dr. C. C. Cook, of Newfield, Tompkins Co., N. Y. In the fall of the same year he entered the medical department of the Buffalo University, Buffalo, N. Y., where for a short time he practiced his profession in partnership with his preceptor, Dr. C. C. Cook. In 1868 he located in Clinton county, Pa., where he was in practice two and one-half years, and at the same time was engaged in lumbering. In 1870 he returned to Newfield, again formed a partnership with Dr. Cook and remained there until 1872 when he removed to Ithaca, N. Y., and was in practice there six years; in 1878 he located at East Burlington, Pa., and for three years he was physician for the county asylum; in 1884 he came to Troy where he has since remained. The Doctor has been twice married: first time to Louisa M., daughter of Simeon S. and Mary (Pierson) Bush, of Tompkins county, N. Y., by whom he has one son, Charles W., Jr.; his second wife was Emma F., daughter of E. H. and Mary (Farwell) Ritchey, of Clinton county, Pa., by whom he has one daughter, Louisa M. Dr. Carrier is a member of the Tompkins county (N. Y.) and Bradford county (Pa.) Medical Societies, and is now filling the position of U. S. Pension Examiner. In politics Dr. Carrier is a Republican.
FRANK P. CASE, a prominent contractor and builder, of Troy, and a member of the firm of Case & Leonard, was born in Troy township, this county, March 11, 1859, and is a son of Jareb and Louisa S. (Cady) Case. His great-grandparents on the paternal side were Reuben and Experience (Nichols) Case, natives of the State of New York, who settled in Troy township in 1798, and in later life removed to Tompkins county, N. Y., where they died. The grandparents were Elihu and Charlotte (Palmer) Case, and Jereb, the father of our subject, their fourth child and third son, was born in Troy township in 1822, and partially cleared and improved the farm he now occupies, which was a part of the original homestead taken up by his grandfather Reuben. He reared a family of six children: William H., Mary (Mrs. Chester E. Decker), Charles J., Frank P., Ida (Mrs. Nathaniel Green) and Milton P. Our subject was reared in Troy township and educated in the common schools; he learned the carpenter’s trade with Caleb Burt, of Troy, and for seven years worked as a journeyman, one and one-half years of which time were spent in the Bradford oil regions. In January, 1885, he became a member of the firm of Case Bros. & Leonard, which continued until January 1, 1891, since when the firm has been Case & Leonard. Mr. Case married November 11, 1886, Lydia L., daughter of George and Mary (Tears) Smith, of Sullivan township, Tioga Co., Pa., and has one son, George F. Mr. Case is a wide-awake, enterprising citizen and a first class workman. By strict attention to business and judicious catering to the wants of the people, this firm have built up a large trade, which is daily increasing. Mr. Case resides on a part of the old homestead. He is a member of Priam Lodge, No. 247, I. O. O. f., of Troy, and politically he is a Republican.
HIRAM A. CASE, farmer, justice of the peace, surveyor and engineer, Troy, was born December 5, 1825, in Troy township, this county, on the farm he now owns and occupies, a son of Elihu and Charlotte (Palmer) Case; his paternal grandparents, Reuben and Experience (Nichols) Case, were natives of Hebron, Washington Co., and Ithaca, Tompkins Co., N. Y, respectively, and settled in Troy township, this county, in March, 1798, on the farm now occupied by our subject. They moved here with an ox team, cutting their way through the woods and following the beds of the creeks for the last 25 miles of the way. Reuben built the first house in what is now Troy, then in Lycoming county, and called the place Casena. In later life they removed to Spencer, Tompkins Co., N. Y., and died there. Their children were Elihu, Sylvia (Mrs. Russell Palmer), Timothy, Esther (Mrs. Milton Hugg), Reuben, Philip and Ephraim. Of these, Elihu succeeded to the homestead, which originally consisted of 180 acres, and on which he made most of the improvements. He was a surveyor as well as farmer, and followed both occupations until his death; he was a justice of the peace for forty years, a brigadier-general of militia, and served four years as State Senator of his district, which comprised the counties of Bradford and Susquehanna, and was agent and attorney for the Drinker estate from 1808 until his death in 1865. He built the first foundry and first sawmill in Troy, and organized the first Masonic Lodge in what was then Lycoming county. His children were: Edmund, Irene (Mrs. Charles N. Strait), Nathan, Jareb, Hiram A., Adrial H. and William P.
Our subject was reared on the old homestead, to which he succeeded by will, on the death of his father. He began surveying when ten years of age, and has followed the business ever since; he has been twice married, first, August 28, 1845, to Lephe A., daughter of Francis and Priscilla (Wilsey) Smead, of Troy township, and by her he had five children: William P., Allen F., Minnie, Lottie and Horace; his second marriage was September 24, 1877, with Eunice L., daughter of Stephen and Mary (Bowe) Harkness, of Columbia township, by whom he has two sons: Delos W. and Stephen E. Mr. Case’s mother was a native of Vermont, a kinsman of Ethan Allen, and some of the land given to her father for his services as a soldier, is where the city of Montpelier now is. Her demise occurred in 1882. Mr. Case is a well known citizen of Troy township, and has held the office of justice of the peace nearly twenty years; in politics he is a Republican.
H. L. CASE, proprietor of the Wyalusing Creamery, Wyalusing, was born in Wysox, this county, April 24, 1845, a son of Lucius S. and Clarinda (Cannon) Case, the former of whom was a native of Western New York, and the latter of Rome, Pa. Lucius S. Case was a farmer and an extensive contractor during the building of the North Branch Canal and Lehigh Valley Railroad. He died in Wilkes Barre in 1886, in his seventieth year; his widow lives in Wilkes-Barre. Their family comprised five children viz.: Phila, married to Mr. Thomas, of Syracuse, N. Y.; Raymond, resides at Jamestown, N. Y.; Anna, married to E. A. Miller, of Wilkes-Barre; Minnie, a teacher in the Wilkes-Barre schools and residing with her mother, and our subject. H. L. Case passed his boyhood on his father’s farm in Rome township, where he attended the common school, which, with one year spent at the Collegiate Institute, Towanda, constituted his school privileges. At the age of sixteen he entered the employ of George Nichols, a merchant of Rome, where he remained until February 24, 1864, when he enlisted in Company G, Fifth New York Cavalry, in which he served until July 18, 1865, when he was mustered out with his regiment; he passed through the severe campaign of 1864 and spring of 1865, ending with Appomattox. and for the length of his service saw as much war as any man in the army; from the Wilderness campaign until June 26th his regiment was under fire every day. After his return he entered the employ of S. N. Bronson, a merchant of Orwell Hill, where he remained from October, 1865, until 1876; then removed to LeRaysville and embarked in the hardware business, being associated with E. M. Bailey as partner; after about two years spent in that business he sold his interest to Mr. Bailey, and then he conducted the first creamery in Pike township, which he operated until 1888, when he removed to Wyalusing and opened the first creamery there, which he still owns and operates. It has a capacity of 1,500 lbs. per day, his average output per month being 3,500 lbs. He has all the modern appliances and his butter is excelled by none. The institution is now in its fourth year, is constantly gathering favor with the farmers, as well as the consumers, and he finds ample market for his butter at Wilkes-Barre and the general neighborhood. Mr. Case was united in marriage, December 31, 1866, with Lydia A. Mattison, a daughter of Thomas Mattison, of Orwell Hill, and to them have been born four children: George, at present at the School of Veterinary Surgery, at Ithaca; Howard, manager of creamery at LeRaysville; Thomas, at home, and Lydia, who died in infancy. Mr. Case is a member of the F. & A. M., and is connected with the Roman Lodge of Rome; is also a member of the K. of H. of Orwell Hill, and of Jackson Post, No. 74, G. A. R., of Wyalusing. Although Mr. Case has been a resident of Wyalusing but a short time, yet he has made a large circle of friends, and has placed his business on a solid foundation which will enable him to work to a grand success.
SAMUEL R. CASE, mason, Granville Centre, was born in Troy, this county, January 3, 1849, and is a son of John and Julia A. (Ward) Case. His paternal grandfather, Samuel Case, who was a pioneer of Troy Township, where he died, had sons as follows: Zina, Philander, Thomas, Samuel, Benjamin and John, of whom John, the father of our subject, and the only survivor, always followed farming, and has been a resident of Granville upward of thirty years; his wife was a daughter of Eldrich Ward, and he has five children living: Minerva A. (Mrs. Charles Dickinson), Emeline, Fidelia (Mrs. Lyman Daley), John H. and Samuel R. Our subject was reared in Troy; was a soldier in the Civil War, enlisting, first in Company C. Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, in which he served five months, and afterward in Company F, Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, serving fifteen months, and was honorably discharged after the war. He followed farming until 1875, when he began work at the mason’s trade which he has since followed. He has been a resident of Granville thirty years. In 1869 Mr. Case married Mary E., daughter of Samuel and Louisa (Stratton) Ludington, of Troy township, and has seven children: Clara B., Eva M. (Mrs. Elmer Konkle), Alida A., James N., Mabel L., Cora and Rodney. Mr. Case is a member of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R.; politically he is a Republican.
WARREN CASE, a leading blacksmith of Troy, was born in Granville township, this county, April 13, 1835, and is a son of Abram and Sarah (Williams) Case; his paternal grandfather, Aaron Case, a native of Vermont, and a pioneer of Troy township, was a miller by trade and owned and operated a mill for some years; he was killed in his own mill; the maternal grandfather of our subject was Caleb Williams, also a pioneer of Troy township. Abram Case, the father of Warren, a farmer by occupation, cleared and improved a farm in Granville township, on which he resided until his death. His children were Olive (Mrs. Roswell Dunbar), Jabez, Andrew, Aaron, Caleb, Simeon, Nancy M. (Mrs. Miller Moore), Abigail (Mrs. O. H. Randell) and Warren. Warren Case was reared in Granville township until eighteen years of age, served a two-years’ apprenticeship at the blacksmith trade, and in 1857 embarked in business for himself at West Burlington, locating in Troy in 1876, where he has built up a successful and lucrative trade and employs three hands. In 1856 he was married to Lucinda, daughter of Amosa and Sarah (Crippen) Greeno, of Troy township, and by her he had two children: Merritt and Arthur. Mr. Chase is a member of the F. & A. M.; I. O. O. F., also Oscaloosa Fire Department of Troy. In politics he is a Republican.
D. W. CHAFFEE, farmer and stock-grower, P. O. Sheshequin, was born July 23, 1851, in Sheshequin township, this county, on the farm now owned by his brother John, and is a son of Charles and Adaline (Horton) Chaffee. His father was a farmer, and a native of New York, who came to Bradford in 1840, and settled on the farm adjoining the one named; his mother is a native of Pennsylvania; their family consisted of six children, four of whom are living: Charles, Mahlon, John and D. W. Our subject received his education in the common schools of Sheshequin, and after leaving school he followed teaching about five years, during winter, and farming in the summer. The farm he now owns was inherited from his father, who was one of the largest land owners and probably the wealthiest man in the township at the time of his death. This farm consists of eighty acres of bottom land, the improvements on which, put on by him, are all elegant and modern; the farm cost his father $7,300, and he has put $3,500 in improvements, making the farm one of the most desirable in the valley. Mr. Chaffee was married October 29, 1874, to Dell, daughter of Simon and Mary Ann (Corbin) Brainard, of Windham; and has had three children, two of whom are living, viz.: Festus M., aged eleven, and Charles S., aged two; Iniz W. died at the age of seven years. Mr. Chaffee is a Freemason, has taken the degrees of Master Mason, and is a member of Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, Athens. In his political views he is a Republican.
EPHRAIM CHAFFEE, (deceased) was born April 25, 1760, and died August 6, 1825; his wife, Elizabeth, was born January 30, 1761, and died April 21, 1853. They had seven children, of whom the eldest, Noah, born February 22, 1780, married Catherine Draper, born January 14, 1780; he died April 30, 1869, his wife died March 28, 1866. They had nine children, of whom Samuel B., the third in order of birth, born November 29, 1808, married, October 22, 1831, Maria Buffington, who was born May 29, 1815, and their family consisted of six children, as follows: Mary E., born June 26, 1832; Martha, born October 3, 1834; Rufus D., born March 26, 1837, died September 6, 1838; Cornelia E., born September 6, 1839, died November 28, 1875; Rufus A., born December 11, 1841, died September 24, 1864; Asenath A., born January 21, 1844. This wife dying November 4, 1845, Mr. Chaffee married, July 9, 1846, Betsey L. Pendleton, who was born June 23, 1824, and by her were two children, viz.: Samuel O., born August 31, 1848, died April 14, 1849; and Cordis M. Samuel B. Chaffee came to this county in 1819, and settled in Warren township; he died October 4, 1888; his second wife survives. Cordis M. Chaffee was born August 10, 1850, and was reared and educated in Warren township, where he commenced as a farmer; he has spent his life on a farm, and now owns two hundred and ninety-five acres, finely stocked and well improved. He was married in Warren township February 14, 1872, to Lucinda J. Arnold, daughter of Chauncy W. and Caroline (Talmadge) Arnold, natives of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively, and of English origin; they have had seven children, Lucinda J. being the second; she was reared, educated and married in Warren township, and is the mother of three children, as follows: Leah, born May 21, 1875; one that died in infancy; and Torrance O., born March 3, 1886. The family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which Mr. Chaffee is steward; he is a Republican, and has filled the office of town clerk, and is now commissioner.
JOHN H. CHAFFEE, farmer and stock grower, Sheshequin township, P. O. Hornbrook, was born on the Chaffee homestead, July 13, 1843, a son of Charles Chaffee, and is the eldest and only son in this county, except D. W. Chaffee. He was reared on the farm, and received his education in the district schools and at the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda. When nineteen years old he enlisted in the army in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I., and was discharged May 28, 1866; he was promoted to corporal, December 5, 1863, and then to sergeant, January 1, 1865, and was wounded and captured at Chancellorsville, again wounded at Petersburg. He participated in the following battles: Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Auburn, Kelly’s Ford, Morris’ Farm, Mine Run, Wilderness, Laurel Hill, Spottsylvania, North Anna, Talopotomy, Cold Harbor, Petersburg, Poplar Spring Church, Boydton Road, Hatcher’s Run and Sailor’s Creek, and was with the army at the surrender of Gen. Lee. Mr. Chaffee does not know how he was wounded, but thinks it was by a concussion, caused by the explosion of a shell at Chancellorsville, which rendered him unconscious, and while in that condition he was captured; he was confined in Libby prison thirteen days and then