History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Then engaged in the steamboat business on Rock river, as captain; after which he traveled through Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois on patent-right business, until July, 1876, when he was employed in braking on the Lehigh Valley Railroad. In May, 1877, he was promoted to conductor on coal train, and he was promoted to fast freight conductor from Waverly to Hornellsville, in 1884, and in May, 1889, was promoted to extra passenger conductor. He was married in Waverly in August, 1853, to Miss Sarah A., daughter of E. A. and Harriet (Young) Shaw, the former a native of Green Bush (near Albany, N. Y.,) and the latter of Orange county; the father was a saddler and harness maker, and died in Waverly in March, 1884, in his seventy-seventh year. The mother died April 30, 1874, in her sixty-ninth year. Mrs. Davis is the eldest in a family of five children, and was born in Orange county, N.Y., November 23, 1831. To Mr. and Mrs. Davis was born a daughter, Josephine Estelle, now the wife of Frank Bennett. Mrs. Davis is a member of the Episcopal Church. Mr. Davis is a member of the F. & A. M., Star in the East, No. 166, Rockford, Ill., and of the G. A. R. Politically he is a Republican.
GEORGE E. DAVIS, superintendent Union Bridge Company Athens township, P. O. Athens, is a native of Philadelphia, born June 30, 1843. His parents are William E. and Ann (Marsden) Davis, the former a native of Wales and the latter of England. They came to this country in early life, and the father was a wool-carder. George E. Davis, who is the eldest in a family of six children, served an apprenticeship at the house carpenter’s trade in Easton, Pa. On January 7, 1853, he enlisted in Battery B, First P. L. A. and served until the close of the war; he was mustered out at Harrisburg in June, 1865, returned home and engaged in bridge building; he erected the first building for the Bridge Company at Athens, was the first regular superintendent the company employed, and has held that position up to the present time. Mr. Davis was married at Bloomsburg, Pa., in 1865, to Miss Martha M., daughter of Brigham and Susan (Geiger) Bowdoin, the former a native of Massachusetts, the latter of Pennsylvania, who reside in Danville, this State. She is the second in a family of four children, and was born in Danville, Sept. 8, 1845. To Mr. and Mrs. Davis were born five children, viz.: Anna, Laura, William E., Charlotte M. and Mabel. The family are members of the Episcopal Church; Mr. Davis is a member of the F. & A. M. Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, of Chapter No. 116, and Commandery No. 16 at Towanda; he is a Republican, and served two years as burgess of Athens.
SAMUEL J. DAAVIS, farmer, and cooper, of Pike township P. O. Neath,
was born in Middletown, Susquehanna Co., Pa., July 29, 1842, and is the
eldest in the family of eight children of John S. and Catherine (Evans)
Davis, natives of Wales. He attended district school, and assisted his
father in clearing up the farm till the age of twenty-three, when he served
a cooper’s apprenticeship with David Campbell, of Owego, N. Y.; then started
a shop of his own at Neath, which he has operated since in connection with
his farm; he also operated a sawmill several years, a portion of which
is still standing near his residence. Mr. Davis was one of those who promptly
answered the Governor’s call for militia troops when the State was in danger
at Gettysburg. He was married March 20, 1869, to Mary Jane, daughter of
M. R. and Lucy (Sheldon) Spafford; her grandfather, Samuel Spafford, was
one of the first settlers in Middletown township. Mr. and Mrs. Davis have
too children; Clara E. and Lucy C. The parents are members of the Congregational
Church at Neath, of which Mr. Davis is trustee. In his political views
he is a Republican.
|JOHN H. DEAN, commissioner’s clerk, Towanda, was born in South Creek
township, this county, January 26, 1853, and is a son of Peter and Mary
A. (Bellis) Dean. His paternal grandparents, John and Eliza (Miller) Dean,
who were formerly of New Jersey, and pioneers of South Creek township,
cleared a farm and died there; their family consisted of three sons and
five daughters, as follows: William, Caroline (Mrs. Lewis Mosher),
Emily (Mrs. Martin Berry), Mary (Mrs. Hugh Findlay), Phebe (Mrs. Mortimer
Harkness), Lydia, Peter J. and Elmer W. The maternal grandfather, who was
a native of New Jersey, was among the first settlers of South Creek township,
this county, where he cleared a farm and died. Peter J. Dean, father of
our subject, was reared in Bradford county, a farmer, and improved considerable
property in South Creek township; he held several offices during his lifetime
– was constable twelve years; enrolling officer during the Civil War, and
was sheriff of Bradford county during 1879, ’80,’81. He died in South Creek
township, in December, 1886. He had four children, viz.: John H., Edward
C., William B. and A. Horton. John H. Dean was reared in South Creek township,
receiving a common-school education, and was deputy treasurer of Bradford
county, under J. C. Robinson, in 1876, '77 and ’78, and deputy sheriff,
under his father, in 1879, ’80 and ’81, and in 1882, ’83 and ’84; he was
engaged in the lumbering business, at Towanda, from 1883 until the fall
of 1890; traveling salesman for the Dayton Flouring Mills, of Towanda,
and January 1, 1891, was appointed commissioner’s clerk. He has been a
resident of Towanda since 1876. Mr. Dean was married, January 24, 1879,
to Annie, daughter of Benjamin and Pamelia (Gardner) Kuykendall, of Towanda,
and has two children: Katherine and Annie. He is a Sir Knight Templar,
and in politics is a Republican.
Caroline Dean at left, was aunt of John H. Dean profiled here - daughter of Eliza MILLER and John DEAN. She is great great grandmother of Joyce M. Tice. I scanned this years ago when all I had was a four inch, hand held scanner. I no longer have access to the photo to get a better copy.
REV. ALEXANDER D. DECKER, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Wyalusing, was born in Portland, Pa., July 21, 1860, and is a son of George and Caroline Decker. His father was a native of New Jersey and his mother of Northampton county, Pa. His parents were farmers, and have a family of five children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the fourth. He was educated at Montrose High School and Wyoming Seminary; his first appointment as pastor was in May, 1885, at Harford Mills, N.Y., where he remained two years, and was admitted into the Wyoming Conference in April, 1886; in 1887 he was transferred to Tioga Centre, where he labored faithfully three years, and in 1890 he came to Wyalusing, where he has since been very successful. Mr. Decker was married March 10, 1886, to Ida M. Sumner, daughter of Rev. J. B. Sumner, now presiding elder of Honesdale District, Wyoming Conference. She is a graduate of the art department of Wyoming Seminary. They have one child, Natalie, born June 23, 1890. As a pastor, Mr. Decker has been blessed with abundant success, and has the confidence and esteem of all.
EDWIN W. DECKER, farmer at Durell Centre, was born December 11, 1833, in Standing Stone township, this county, on the Rummerfield creek, a son of Philip J. Keyzer, who came from Switzerland with his parents to Philadelphia, and first settled in this county in 1828. The subject of this sketch, his mother having died when he was two years old, was adopted into the family of Simeon Decker, at the time, and ever since assumed his name. He was educated in the district schools, went one year to college at Towanda and one year to Williamsport. He was reared on the farm on which he now lives, which is a very fine one under a good state of cultivation. He was married June 30, 1865, to Nancy Brown, who was born at Sugar Run, this county, April 27, 1845, daughter of John P. and Uraia Brown, natives of Wyalusing township. Mrs. Decker’s mother is living with them at the age of eighty-one years, a well-preserved lady who has a great fund of historical reminiscences of the early times in Bradford; her grandfather was one of the pioneers of Wyalusing. Mr. and Mrs. Decker have three children, as follows: Florence U., born January 25, 1869, wife of Edwin J. Benjamin; Laura A., born April 2, 1871; Evan S., born March 2, 1881. Mr. Decker was in the Fifty-seventh P. V. I., Company G, in the War of the Rebellion, and was imprisoned in Libby prison many months. He is a life-long Democrat, and a square free trader, and always active to take part on discussing the issues of the times. He has always been held with respect and esteem by all his many friends for integrity, benevolence and his Christian virtues.
SAMUEL S. DEKAY, farmer and stock-grower, Ulster, was born in Sussex county, N. J., December 19, 1813, son of Charles Dekay, a farmer, a native of New Jersey, and Clara Seely, of New York. He came from New Jersey in 1849, and located in Factoryville, Wyoming Co., Pa., and came to this county in 1869 and located at north Towanda. He has been twice married: the first time to Amanda Wright, a native of New York, December 7, 1848; by this marriage there were five children, viz.: Alice, (wife of Judd Smith); Charles (deceased); Fillmore; Emma and Eva (twins) (Emma married Everett Briggs, Eva is deceased). His wife died December 7, 1855, and September 10, 1857, he was united in married to Lydia, daughter of Holden and Sarah (Billings) Capwell, natives of this State; by this marriage there are six children, viz.: Clara, widow of James Madden, Sie and Uri (twins, deceased); Lura; William; and Jud. Mr. Dekay’s early education was received in the country schools of Sussex county, N. J., and was quite limited. He now owns fifty acres of finely improved farm land, and keeps a small dairy; he is a member of the Democratic party.
WESLEY H. DELANEY, engineer on the L. V. R. R., Sayre, is a native of Tioga county, N. Y. and was born November 14, 1850; a son of John and Sarah (Hartford) Delaney, natives of Orange county, N. Y. The father was a farmer in early life, was a soldier in the Civil War, and is now in the employ of the railroad company, with residence at Waverly, N. Y. Wesley H., who is the eldest in a family of five children, was reared in Tioga county, N. Y., where he received a common-school education. He came to Milltown in 1870, and worked in the L. V. R. R. engine house from the fall of 1872, until he was promoted to Locomotive Engineer in May, 1880, which positions he has since held. He was married in Sayre, November 21, 1877, to Miss Sarah, daughter of John and Mary (Cochrane) Lamont, the former a native of Belfast and the latter of Coleraine, Ireland; they came to New York City in 1848, from there to Connecticut, then to Massachusetts, and removed to Sayre in September 1873; the father resides in Sayre and works in the foundry; the mother died in November 1885 in her sixty-fifth year. Mrs. Delaney is sixth in a family of nine children; and was born in Lime Rock, Conn., April 3, 1856. To Mr. and Mrs. Delaney were born five children: Louis E., Mary F., Wesley L., John A. (deceased) and George H. Mr. Delaney is a member of the Knights of Honor, Patriotic Sons of America and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 380, and is a Republican.
ORRIN L. DELANO, of DeLano & Campbell, grocers, Towanda, was born in Westmoreland, Oneida Co., N.Y., in 1825, a son of Safford S. and Clarissa (Cook) DeLano, and is of Huguenot stock. His ancestors came to America in 1680 and settled in Massachusetts. He was reared in his native State, educated in the high school of Rome, N.Y., and at the age of twenty removed to Brooklyn where he was engaged in the dry-goods business with his father until 1858; he then spent two years in the dry-goods business in Oneida, county, N. Y., and in 1860 located in Bath, N.Y., where he was engaged in the dry-goods business ten years. In 1870 he came to Towanda, where he took charge of the grocery department in the store of Joseph Powell, in which capacity he served eighteen years. In 1889 he formed a partnership with J. W. Campbell in the grocery trade, under the name of DeLano & Campbell, in which they have since continued. Mr. DeLano was married, in 1849, to Ann, daughter of John and Margaret (Robertson) Downie, of Leslie, Scotland, by whom he has five children, viz.: Margaret, Safford S., Florence, Alice and Julia. Mr. DeLano is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics is a Democrat.
R. B. DENMARK, proprietor of saw and planing mill, Grover, is a native of Chemung county, N. Y., and was born March 10, 1851, a son of J. J. and Cornelia (Smith) Denmark, natives of Chemung county and of near West Point, N.Y., respectively. J. J. Denmark was a carpenter and joiner by trade, and died in Canton township in 1882, in his sixty-third year; Mrs. Denmark still survives him and resides in Canton. The grandfather, Christopher Denmark, settled in Chemung county, N. Y., and died in Union township, Tioga Co., Pa. The paternal grandfather, Nathan Smith, was a native of New York, and died in Tompkins county; he was a soldier in the War of 1812. R. B. Denmark, who is the sixth in order of birth in a family of seven children, was reared in Chemung county until three years of age, when the family removed to Union township, Tioga Co., Pa., where they resided seven years; then went to Fallbrook, and from there to Grover, where they resided about four years, and then came to Canton. Our subject was in N. S. Denmark’s furniture factory nine years, and in S. J. Hickcox’s planing-mill, also nine years. He then removed to Grover, and built a sawmill, but, selling his interest, he went to Kentucky and was foreman for the Hixson & Roddourn Lumber Company one year; then moved to Newfield, N. Y., and was in the lumber business there six months. Returning to Grover, he has since resided here. Mr. Denmark was married in Monroeton, in 1871, to Anna, daughter of James and Maria (Williams) Jones, natives of Pennsylvania; she is the seventh in order of birth in a family of eight children, and was born in Canton township, March 27, 1850. To Mr. and Mrs. Denmark were born four children: Myrtie, Ralph (deceased), Carrie May and Jennie. Mr. Denmark is a member of the I. O. O. F., Canton Lodge, No. 321, and also of the Encampment, No. 185, Canton. Politically he is a Republican.
D. D. DEPUE, proprietor of the Seeley House, Towanda, was born in Vestal, Broome Co., N. Y., in 1854, a son of James and Elizabeth (Rose) Depue, and of French descent. He was reared and educated in his native county, and began his business career in the hotel business. He conducted the "Cottage house" at Great Bend, Susquehanna Co., Pa., three years, and in 1881 erected the "Keystone (now Sawyer) House" at that place, which he successfully conducted until 1886. In September, 1889, he purchased the "Seeley House" at Towanda, a neat and commodious hotel, with accommodations for 100 guests, and has built up a successful business, which is daily increasing. In 1878 Mr. Depue married Miss Carrie B., daughter of John G. Throp, of Candor, N. Y., and has one son Harry.
CHARLES D. DERRAH, editor of the Canton Sentinel , born at Rockport, Carbon Co., Pa., September 4, 1858, a son of Joshua and Lavina (Krum) Derrah, natives of Norristown and Carbon county, Pa., respectively, of Scotch-Irish and German descent. Joshua Derrah was engaged in the meat business most of his life, at Maunch Chunk, Rockport, Troy and Canton. He died at Canton in 1889, in his seventy-ninth year. Mrs. Derrah still resides in Canton. They had a family of four children, of whom three are now living. Charles D. Derrah, who is the youngest in the family, was reared in Rockport until six years of age; removed to Troy and was there about three and one-half years, when he came to Canton. He received his education in the public school and Troy Academy, and at the age of thirteen began an apprenticeship at the printer’s trade, and helped on the first issue of the Canton Sentinel. At the age of sixteen he finished his trade, serving for three and one-half years in the Troy Gazette office. In April, 1878, he went to Detroit, and worked on the Detroit Free Press as compositor for eighteen months, and then was appointed traveling agent for the same paper; was then given a position in the job room, and had charge of the shipping stock and show printing, where he remained until January 1, 1883; then returned to Canton and purchased the Canton Sentinel. Mr. Derrah was married July 6, 1886, to Fannie P., daughter of Hon. B. S. Dartt, of Canton, a hardware merchant; her mother was Achsah E. (Manley) Dartt, and resides in Canton (they had a family of five children, of whom Mrs. Derrah is the fourth, and three are now living; she was born in Troy, August 24, 1863). They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee. He is a member of the F. & A. M., Canton Lodge, No. 415, and of the I. O. O. F., No. 321; is secretary of the Union Agricultural Association, and has held that position for five years. Politically he is a Republican.
ANDREW DESMOND, of Rome township, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Myersburg, was born in County Cork, Ireland, December 25, 1844, and is a son of Thomas and Mary (Cotter) Desmond, both natives of County Cork, Ireland; his father was a farmer; he has two children, born in Ireland; Mary the eldest married Timothy Desmond; his parents are both living, and make their home with Andrew. His father’s family came to this country in 1846, and resided in several different localities before coming to Bradford county to make their home; reaching this county on Friday, the day of President Lincoln’s assassination, and located where they have since resided. Andrew spent his boyhood in Chemung and Lycoming counties, where he attended the public schools until nineteen years old, and then worked on the railroad two years; came to Bradford county, and now owns 100 acres of good land, all under cultivation; the house is a frame one with all the conveniences, two stories, and was built in 1867; the farm is well stocked. He was united in marriage in October, 1880, to Hannah, daughter of John and Hannah (Sullivan) Hayes. Her father and mother, who were born in Cork, Ireland, were married September 8, 1846, and had a family of fourteen children, viz.: Daniel, born July 6, 1847; William, born July 4, 1848; Michael, born February 24, 1850, died January 13, 1854; John, born January 11, 1852; Ellen, born January 18, 1853, married to Thomas Dolan; Mary, born February 24, 1855; Charles, born July 6, 1856; Hannah, born March 8, 1858; Elizabeth, born January 28, 1860, died in infancy; Julia, born April 17, 1861, married to Peter Hurly; Dennis, born April 2, 1863; Michael, born June 6, 1865; James, born May 6, 1868; and Catherine, born February 8, 1873. Mr. and Mrs. Desmond have had born to them one child, Thomas, born November 6, 1883. The family are all members of the Catholic Church, of Towanda. He is a Democrat, and a member of the Farmers’ Alliance. He is among the best farmers of this county, and came to this section when the country was almost a wilderness; yet, by untiring industry, he has carved from the dense hemlock forests a beautiful home, and with no assistance has secured a fair amount of this world’s goods; he is looked upon as a model farmer and enjoys the love and respect of all who know him.
HARRISON DETRICK (deceased), who, in his lifetime, was among the most successful and prosperous of Bradford county’s farmers, was born on a farm in Monroe county, Pa., June 14, 1834, a son of John E. and Mary M. (Morrey) Detrick, also natives of Monroe county. He was reared on the farm, educated in the common school, and, as soon as he reached his majority, came with his sister to this county, where he managed his father’s extensive landed interests. He located on the farm now occupied by his family, and there passed the rest of his days. After his father’s death he purchased the farm and improved it until he had a beautiful home, containing one 160 acres of exceedingly fine farm land. Mr. Detrick was married April 24, 1861, to May Anne, only daughter of Philip and Jane (Lamb)Sullivan, former of whom was born in Ireland, latter in Wyalusing. To Mr. and Mrs. Detrick were born two children: Earnest H., born May 9, 1877, and Jennie M., born March 31, 1881. Mr. Detrick died in 1883 from injuries received through being thrown from a wagon. He was a careful, neat and successful farmer, and a very hard worker. Since his death, his widow has had full charge of the farm, and its neat and tidy appearance, which compares most favorably with that of her neighbors, shows abundantly that she has the skill to manage successfully. Mrs. Detrick is a member of, and liberal contributor to, the Methodist Episcopal Church of Spring Hill.
CHARLES J. DETTRA, carpenter and farmer, P. O. Ulster, was born in Montgomery county, Pa., February 12, 1850, and is a son of Christian and Martha (Davis) Dettra, natives of Montgomery county, Pa., his father of German and his mother of Welsh descent; his grandfather was a miller and one of the pioneers of Montgomery county. His parents came to Bradford county in the year 1870, locating in Ulster, where his father yet lives at the age of eighty-seven, being the oldest inhabitant of the township; his mother died in Montgomery county in 1887, aged seventy-four; they were farmers. Charles attended the common schools of Montgomery county until sixteen years old, and received a good common-school education, and worked on his father’s farm until nineteen years old; then secured a position on the Lehigh Valley Railroad as carpenter, building bridges, depots, etc, and has continued in the employ of the railroad twenty-two years. He owns thirty-eight acres of finely improved land, which he cultivates himself, growing tobacco and other crops; he also keeps a small dairy. Mr. Dettra has been remarkably successful in business, and has secured an independence entirely through his own exertions. He was married December 14, 1875, to Agnes, daughter of William and Jessie (Gallespie) Irving; they have no children. His father’s family consisted of twelve children, eleven of whom survive, four of whom live in this county, viz.: Louis, Joseph, Catherine (wife of H. J. Shaw) and himself, he being the tenth in order of birth; is a member of the Rural Amity Lodge of Athens, F. & A. M., and Union Chapter No. 161, R. A. M., and of Northern Commandery, No. 11, K. T., of Towanda Lodge of Perfection, No. 140; also a member of the Iron Hall, Sexennial League, order of the Royal Ark, and of the Peoples Benefit Association. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church, of which Mr. Dettra is an elder and holds the office of trustee; his political views are Republican.
DEWEY BROTHERS, merchants, Gillett, were born in South Creek township, Bradford Co., Pa., C. P., in December, 1862, and E. O., in March, 1865. They were reared and educated in Ridgebury township, this county, C. P. taking a course at Warner’s Commercial College, in Elmira, N. Y. They are the sons of Walter and Parentha (Sutliff) Dewey, both of whom were born in New York and removed to this county about 1850, locating on what is now known as "East Hill," but subsequently removed to Ridgebury, where the father now resides, a prosperous farmer in easy circumstances; his family consists of eight children by two marriages, seven of whom grew to maturity, and six are now living. C. P. and E. O., who are the seventh and eighth respectively in the family, began mercantile business in Gillett on March 4, 1889, with a full line of goods adapted to country trade, and by their gentlemanly bearing to all they have won the esteem of their neighbors, and by close attention to business they have won the confidence and trade of many. Their stock consists of a general supply of the best quality, and they handle a variety of agricultural implements, such as mowers, reapers, etc., also harness, and are extensive dealers in butter. C. P. Dewey has held the office of postmaster nearly two years. The brothers are both married, C. P. having wedded May 20, 1885, May, daughter of A. E. and Marion Striton, and there were two children born to them, Blanche and Agnes. E. O. married, in January, 1890, Rose, daughter of Reuben and Clara Griswold. The brothers are members of the International Fraternal Alliance of Baltimore, Md., and politically are Republicans.
GEORGE F. DEWING, farmer and stock grower of Warren township, P. O. Warrenham, was born in Warren township, April 29, 1846, and traces his ancestry back some generations, as follows: Andrew Dewing came from England and became a freeman of Dedham, Mass., in 1646, and is so registered in Farmers’ Geographical Register, Barker’s Historical Collections, page 456; his son Andrew Dewing was born November 26, 1655, according to the Dedham records; his son Edmund Dewing was born September 9, 1694, according to the same record; he married Ruth Dunklee, March 26, 1723, as noted in the records of Needham, and they had seven sons and daughters. The youngest was Hezekiah Dewing, who was born September 9, 1740, as is shown by the records of Needham; his son Michael Dewing was born in Woodstock, Conn., in May, 1765; he married Ruth Coburn, and they had six children, of whom Andrew Dewing was the second, born July 19, 1792, in Salisbury, Conn., and was the father of George F. Dewing, our subject. Andrew married twice, first Elizabeth Fahnestock, in 1820. She died in 1821, and in 1845 he married Nancy Dobson, who bore him four children, viz.: George F., Elizabeth F. (Mrs. Dr. J. M. Newman, whose husband died in 1880, leaving her with two daughters), Anna C. (Mrs. I. M. Young), who has three sons, and Andrew, who married Esther R. Coburn, and has four sons and a daughter. Andrew came to this county with his maternal grandfather in 1802, and died August 26, 1883, aged ninety-one years; his widow died July 24, 1887, aged sixty-nine. George F. Dewing spent his early life in Warren township, and farmed and taught school for a number of years and now owns a farm of 180 acres, that is well cultivated, and has elegant and commodious farm buildings on it and a residence which has just been completed. He was married in Wysox, March 22, 1876, to Abigail, daughter of Albet and Susan (Bull) Lent, natives of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively, and of Dutch and English extraction. To them were born ten children, of whom Abigail, a native of Wysox, was the eighth. To Mr. and Mrs. George F. Dewing were born five children, who are the eighth generation of Americans of that name and family. They are as follows: Nancy, Francis T., Geo. Albert, Anna and Elizabeth. The family worship at the Presbyterian Church; Mr. Dewing votes the Republican ticket.
WILLIAM F. DEWITT, senior member of the firm of DeWitt & Ballard, dealers in general merchandise, Troy, was born in Monroe county, Pa., August 24, 1848, and is a son of Caleb F. and Mary (Albert) DeWitt. His paternal grandfather, Col. Joseph DeWitt, a native of New Jersey, was a pioneer of Wells township, this county, where he engaged in farming and merchandising and reared his family; he was a colonel in the militia in Bradford county. The father of our subject, a native of New Jersey, was reared in Bradford county, but spent most of his life in Tioga county, where he engaged in farming and died; his wife was a daughter of Peter T. Albert, of Monroe county, Pa., by whom he had four sons; Joseph H., William F., John W. and Calvin H. Our subject was reared in Tioga county until twenty-one years of age, and was educated at the State Normal School at Mansfield; on March 8, 1869, he came to Troy and for thirteen years was a clerk in the general store of Leonard & Redington. In 1881 he embarked in business with L. J. Ballard, under the name of Dewitt & Ballard in which he has since continued. He married twice, his first wife was Jennie, daughter of John and Mary (Dimm) Rooker, of Muncy, Pa., by whom he had one daughter, Helena; his second wife was Blanche, daughter of Gen. George and Elizabeth (Miter) Armstrong, of Milton, Pa., by whom he has one son, William A. Mr. DeWitt is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; in politics he is a Democrat, and is one of the present school directors of Troy borough; socially he is a Royal Arch Mason.
JOEL DIBBLE, farmer, of Burlington township, P. O. Mountain Lake, settled here in 1847, in the wilderness, and cleared a large farm, having come from Dutchess county, N. Y., where he was born July 18, 1824, a son of Sanford and Phebe (Denton) Dibble, natives of Dutchess county, and of English origin. Mr. Dibble has been obliged, since seven years of age, to depend upon his own resources for a livelihood, and necessity has taught him the strictest economy, but by great perseverance he has been enabled to accumulate a fine property, being now the owner of a farm of over ninety acres, under a good state of cultivation. He has been twice wedded: on March 6, 1845, he was married to Hannah Mead, by whom he had three children: VanWike, Washington F. and Charles. This wife died February 14, 1856, and December 16, 1857, he married Elizabeth Wright, of Burlington, who was born March 19, 1838, in Dutchess county, N. Y., a daughter of Horace and Lydia Ann (Mead) Wright, of English extraction, and natives of the above-named county. Horace Wright was a soldier of the War of 1812, and Mrs. Dibble’s brother, Thomas, was a soldier in the War of the Rebellion, losing his life through long exposure. Mr. Dibble has had, by his second wife, five children, as follows: Ella A., born September 29, 1858, died March 18, 1870; Edgar, born March 7, 1860; Clara, born October 2, 1864, died August 13, 1882; Oscar, born January 24, 1874, died February 2, 1877; and Cora, born November 27, 1877. Mr. Dibble has been a successful farmer, and was many years an extensive shingle manufacturer. He is a Republican, and takes an interest in the affairs of the party. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
LEVI S. DICKINSON, farmer, P. O. Wetona, was born October 28, 1823, in Haddam, Middlesex Co., Conn., a son of Daniel C. and Christiana (Clark) Dickinson, natives of the same place, born of English and French descent, and who removed to Bradford county on May 1, 1840, settling in Springfield, near where Mr. Dickinson how resides. Daniel C. Dickinson was a farmer, and was in the stone quarry business a great many years; he and his wife were members of the Congregational Church. The Dickinsons have a genealogical family history in which the ancestry is traced back to one, Nathaniel Dickinson, who settled near Boston in 1630, and among the relatives are found the names of many men of prominence; the father died in December 1882, aged ninety-three years, and the mother in 1852, at the age of fifty-seven years. The subject of this memoir was reared on the farm, educated in the public schools, and has been a farmer and a lumberman; is now the owner of 208 acres, in two farms, of as fine land as its to be found in Springfield township. He was married November 23, 1848, to Lucy Tracy, who was born January 14, 1830, daughter of James O. and Anna (Watkins) Tracy, of Smithfield, and who were natives of East Haddam, Conn., the Tracy family trace