History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
their lineage back to the "Mayflower", to the time of Mary Chilton who was the first person on Plymouth Rock. Mrs. Dickinson’s father died in February 1870, aged seventy-nine years, and her mother in June 1872, aged seventy-four years. Mr. and Mrs. Dickinson had born to them two children: Charles C., born March 11, 1859 (he married twice, first time to Nellie Grace, and on second occasion to Carrie L. Storch; he is a farmer on the homestead) and Jay T., born July 28, 1864 (married T. Belle Brooks; he is a physician at Pine City, New York). Mr. Dickinson is a Republican, but an independent voter; is well informed upon all matters of the day, and is strong in the temperance cause. The family are consistent members of the Congregational Church.
W.S. DIEFFENBAUCH, Overton township, P.O. Overton, one of the prominent citizens of Overton township, a farmer and mechanic, has spent the years of his life in the locality where he was born, July 10, 1840, a son of Charles and Martha (Mullen) Dieffenbauch, Pennsylvanians, of German and English descent, respectively; the father was also a farmer and mechanic, and came to Overton with his family about the year 1836, where he died in 1876, his venerable widow surviving. Their children were seven in number, of whom the subject of this sketch is the second in order of birth. He spent his childhood and youth on the old homestead, early learning the working duties of a farmer’s boy and about his shop became a skilled mechanic. From his father’s estate he received fifty acres which he sold and then purchased his present place, containing fifty-eight acres. He was married in Sullivan county in 1866, to Maria, daughter of Thomas and Mary (Bird) Norton, natives of England and Pennsylvania, respectively. Of this union there are children as follows: Mary, wife of J.E. Trevis; Martha V., wife of W.N. Aylesworth; Libbie L., wife of Edgar F. Kunes; Charles T., with his parents on the farm; Bertha L. and Kittie B. The family worship at the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a trustee, and has filled the offices of Sunday-school superintendent and treasurer. He has also been school director and in politics he is a Prohibitionist.
GEORGE DILLIN, proprietor of Dillin's Flouring Mills, township, was born in Queens County, Ireland, June 29, 1828, a son of Joseph and Eliza (Breathwate) Dillin, who immigrated to America in 1831 and located at Underhill, Chittenden County, Vt., living there nine years then moved to Bradford County, Pa., settling in Springfield township and later, in Columbia township, where the father died in 1845. The mother afterward removed to Illinois and died there; their children were nine in number, viz: Ann (Mrs. Alsinus Ward), Elizabeth, Hannah (Mrs. John Sheridan), Arthur, George, Sophia (Mrs. C.F. Crandall). Charlotte (Mrs. William Graves), Maria (Mrs. Henry Cole) and Joseph. Our subject was reared in Ireland and came to America in 1848, locating in Troy, this county, where with the exception of two years spent in Springfield, he has since resided for forty years; he has been identified with the gristmill interests of Troy, learned the miller’s trade at Long’s mills, where for twenty-three years he was employed by H.F. Long, and beginning in 1874, was associated for four years
with G. Ville as a partner in Ville’s mills. In 1878 the mills came into the possession of H.G. McKean, of whom Dillin rented same for two years; in 1880 he purchased the mill which he operated alone six years, when he admitted his sons, Arthur H. and Joseph R., into partnership, since which time the mill has been conducted under the firm name of George Dillin & Sons; the original mill on this site was erected in 1847 and known as "Taylor and Dobbins Mill." Mr. Dillin was married in June, 1855 to Lucy L. Phelps, of Mainsburg, Tioga Co., Pa., and has had nine children: Arthur H. Joseph R., George A., (deceased), Philander W., Sophia, Rose (deceased), Ida B. (deceased) Eliza and Anna. Mr. Dillin is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is a Royal Arch Mason, and politically is a Republican.
CHARLES DIMON, farmer, Pike township, P.O. South Warren, was born January 25, 1830 on the farm where he now lives and is the eldest of the nine children of Gilbert and Hannah (Wilson) Dimon, natives of CT.; who came to Pike from New York state, in 1817. Charles was reared on a farm and educated in the common school; began life for himself at nineteen and embraced farming as his occupation which he has followed since; has also worked at the carpenter’s trade. He married July 4, 1852, Francis, daughter of John and Fannie (Medbrey) Chaffee; her parents came to Bradford county in 1824 and settled in Warren township; they had the following children: Edmund L., born October 23, 1854, died July 8, 1881; Fannie E., born December 20, 1856, married to S. Edgar Chubbuck, a farmer in Orwell township; Martha E., born December 20, 1857, married Oscar Brown, a farmer in Orwell township; Ida A., born August 7, 1859, married to Richard Andrews of Lestershire, N.Y.; Lester A., born May 12, 1862, died in infancy; Charles A., born November 2, 1864, died June 27, 1877; Jesse A., born July 21, 1866, died October 25, 1890; Frances A., born May 29, 1870, now living at home. In politics, Mr. Dimon is an Independent voter.
THOMAS J. DINAN, JR., finisher and decorator of furniture, Towanda, was born in Lancaster county, Pa., April 30, 1859, a son of Thomas J. and Sophia (Fineour) Dinan and is of Irish and French descent; his father was a native of Philadelphia, a son of Patrick Dinan who was a native of Ireland, and one of the oldest mail contractors of Pennsylvania. Thomas J. Dinan, Sr., who is a cabinet maker by trade was a soldier in the Civil War, and is a prominent member of the G.A.R.; he has been a resident of Williamsport, Pa., since 1871; was elected to the Lower House of the State Legislature to represent Lycoming county in 1884 and is the only Republican ever elected to that office from that county; he is now custodian of the public buildings at Williamsport and has been chief clerk under Superintendent Wayne two years. Thomas J. Dinan, Jr., was educated in the common schools, learning his trade in Williamsport, and has held the position of foreman in four of the largest shops in the country, and one in Illinois and three in Pennsylvania, and is now contractor and foreman in the factory of J.O. Frost’s Sons, Towanda, which position he has held since coming to that place in 1888. In 1881 Mr. Dinan married Helen C., daughter of J.H. and Elizabeth (Lane) McCullough, of Wilmington, N.C. and has two children living; Herbert and Sophia A. Mr. Dinan is a member of the German Maennerchor and Leiderkranz, and in politics is a Republican.
WILLIAM S. DOBBINS, retired farmer, Troy, was born in Burlington township, this county, June 27, 1806 and is a son of John and Rebecca (McKean) Dobbins. His paternal grandfather, William Dobbins, who was of Irish parentage, settled in Burlington in 1791 on what is now the County Farm and lived and died in that township; his children were Robert, Daniel, John, William, Eleanor (Mrs. Johnson Miller), Jane (Mrs. Ebenezer Kendall), Susan (Mrs. Nathaniel Ballard) Sally (Mrs. Judge Reuben Wilbur), Betsey (Mrs. Nathan Ballard) and Polly (Mrs. Jesse Woodruff); his wife was Mary A. McLean. John Dobbins, father of our subject, located in Burlington township in 1791, and removed to Troy township in 1820, settling on what is now known as the Joraleman farm; later removed to near Dillin’s Mills and died there; his wife was a daughter of James and Jane (Scott) McKean, of Burlington township, by who he had ten children; Jane (Mrs. Elihu Newberry), Mary A. (Mrs. Johnson Williams), Samantha (Mrs. Churchill Barnes), William S., Andrew McKean, Elizabeth (Mrs. Joseph Hunt), Julia (Mrs. Samuel McNitt), Daniel, Rebecca (Mrs. Marvin Rockwell) and Sarah (Mrs. Norman Palmer). Mr. Dobbins was a prominent citizen of his day and was a justice of the peace for twenty years, William S., the subject of the sketch was reared in Troy and Burlington township; he located in Troy with his parents in 1820; has followed farming most of his life settling in May 1833, on the farm of 200 acres where he now resided, which he cleared and improved, having cut the first stick on the place. He was twice married, his first wife being Nancy, daughter of Elibus and Nancy Bothwell of Syracuse, N.Y., by whom he had ten children: Emeline (deceased), Andrew J., Nancy (Mrs. William Burgers), Marian (Mrs. John H. Grant), Emeline S. (second) (Mrs. A. H. Hepburn), William, James, John E., Samuel McKean and Thomas; his second wife was Sarah, daughter of Adam and Elizabeth (Hoffman) Widle of Lancaster Pa., by whom he had three children: Thomas H., Mary and Leonora. Mr. Dobbins is one of the oldest citizens of Bradford county; he served as constable of Troy three years in succession, was deputy sheriff of Bradford county three years, and sheriff of the county three years, being elected to the office in 1848; he was delegate to the State Convention at Harrisburg several terms and in his prime always took an active part in politics. Politically he has always been a stanch Democrat and socially he is a member of the F.&A.M.
WILLIAM A. DOBBINS, railway conductor, residence No. 606 Central avenue, Indianapolis, Ind., is a native of Bradford county, Pa., born on his father’s farm near Troy, the second son of William S. Dobbins. At the old homestead William A. Dobbins spent his childhood, learned how to labor, went to school in the neighborhood and in time became a student in the old Troy Academy. At the age of twenty he sought and found employment with a railroad, became a brakeman and for the past twenty-five years he has been in railroad service, being
now a passenger conductor on the St. Louis, Vandalia & Indianapolis Railroad. He has been in that company’s employ in past fifteen years and is regarded as one of the most efficient and reliable men on the line. During some years of his labors with the "Van" road, his headquarters are at Effingham, Ill., and it was here he met and wedded his wife, Miss Anna Meyers, daughter of William Meyers, of that place, and one of the early settlers of the county. She was some years a teacher in the Effingham Public School. They built a nice home in Effingham and resided there until 1885, when they went to their present abode in Indianapolis. Mr. Dobbins is a Democrat and as pretty much all the voters of that name, is of the pronounced and uncompromising kind. Genial and sociable, he is widely popular in the west as are his venerable father and brothers in Pennsylvania and New York. No family in the county is better known or more highly respected. John Dobbins was one of the early and most prominent of the settlers at the beginning of the century in what is now Troy township and the family name has been honored through the century.
JOHN E. DOBBINS, hardware merchant, Troy, son of William S. and Nancy (Bothwell) Dobbins, was born on the old homestead in Troy township March 8, 1846. He was educated in the common schools and seminary at Mansfield, Pa., and in 1862 he began life as a clerk, which occupation he followed until 1878, when he purchased an interest in a hardware business at Troy with E.F. Johnson, which partnership existed in the firm name of Dobbins and Johnson until 1884, since which time the business has been conducted under the name of Dobbins a & Corell. Mr. Dobbins is a prominent man of Troy and is also an active member of the Masonic Fraternity. He is Past Master of Trojan Lodge, No. 306, F.&A.M.; Past High Priest of Troy Chapter, No. 261 and Past Eminent Commander of Canton Commander, No. 64 of Bradford county and in politics he is a Democrat.
JOHN E. DODGE, farmer, P.O. Terrytown, was born May 25, 1847, reared and educated in the pleasant hamlet of Terrytown, this county and is a son of John F. and Melissa (Elliott) Dodge, the former a native of Terrytown, born December 24, 1814, the latter a native of Wyalusing township, born August 22, 1817. The father is the son of Edmund and Rebecca Dodge, the former born in CT., December 21, 1777, the latter a native of England. Edmund was the son of Oliver Dodge, who came to this county in its very early history, about the same time the Terry’s came in 1779 and located on the banks of the Susquehanna river, taking up abut 600 acres on the west side, and about 400 on the east side, which in time was distributed among the heirs, sold and otherwise disposed of. Oliver, the first pioneer of the Dodge family, was a major in the Revolutionary army. Edmund was twice married; his first wife was Miss Abagail Terry, by whom he had three children: Oliver, Nancy and Alpheus; his second wife was Miss Rebecca Franklin, by whom he had children as follows; Abigail, John F., Susanna, Sally, Mary, Lynds B., Betsy. John F., who was the second in the family, was a successful farmer in his day, his life, like that of others, being uneventful; he suc-
ceeded his father on the old homestead, and reared a family of seven children; George Elliott, Marietta R., John E., Nancy, Davis D., Alta S. and Lucy F., five of whom grew to maturity and are now living. John E., the subject of this sketch has always devoted himself to agricultural pursuits. On September 15, 1869, at the age of twenty-two, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Chester and Eliza Schoonover of Terrytown. He is living on the old homestead where his father, grandfather and great-grandfather resided before him, and is a general farmer, raising a mixed crop. He enjoys the full confidence of his fellow citizens, who have elected him to the following offices; commissioner (three years) treasurer, and justice of the peace, which position he now holds. He is a member of the F. & A.M. and of the I.O.O.F.; politically he is a Republican.
BENJAMIN H. DOTY, farmer, P.O. Wellsburg, N.Y., is the son of Joseph and Mehitable (Horton) Doty, of Dutch origin. The father, who was a farmer, removed to Bradford county in 1837, and settling in the wilderness, he cleared the farm where Benjamin H. now resided, the family experiencing all the priviations of the early pioneer’s life. The family reared a family of six children, three sons and three daughters, four of whom are now living; the parents were active and consistent members of the Wesleyan Methodist Church; the father died at the age of eighty-nine years and the mother aged sixty-two years. Benjamin H. Doty was reared on the farm, and followed agricultural pursuits successfully, til now he is the owner of 175 acres of find land, including the old homestead, and carries on general farming. The property is located on a fine elevation in Ridgebury township. Mr. Doty was married April 10, 1856, to Martha A. Fasett, of Couth Creek, this county, a daughter of Philo and Permilia (Louk) Fassett; her grandfather Fassett was one of the pioneers of the township of South Creek, her father, who is a farmer is now aged eighty years, and her mother is aged eighty-one. Mr. and Mrs. Doty have had five children, four of whom are now living; Alice, wife of Edgar Berry, a farmer in Springfield township; Kitsie, wife of Joseph Craig, a farmer; Emma, wife of Charles E. VanBuskirk, an undertaker at Wellsburg, N.Y.; and Sumner N., married to Jenny Craig, of Ridgebury. Mr. Doty is a Republican in politics, has led several offices of public trust and is much respected in the community.
L.H. DOUGLASS, merchant, Hornbrook, was born in Sheshequin township, this county, May 23, 1860, a son of Elias and Catherine (Childs) Douglass, the former of whom was a carpenter. They had a family of four children, of whom our subject is the eldest, the others being: Lucinda, married to Robert Keller, of Athens; George (deceased) and Benjamin. L.H. Douglass grew to his majority in the vicinity of Hornbrook and attended the schools of that place until eighteen years of age, receiving a good common-school education, then learned the carpenter’s trade with his father and followed that until 1888, when he engaged in mercantile trade, opening a store at Hornbrook. He carries a fine line for a country trade and does a yearly business of about $2,500. He married, September 30, 1885, Mary, the fifth child born to Lois and Julia (Webb) Brainard, who yet resides in Litchfield;
She is the fifth child. Mr. and Mrs. Couglass have two children; Georgia L., aged three years and Sarah E., aged ten months. Mr. Douglass’ political views are Democratic and he is recognized as a prominent and valued citizen.
D.H. DUART, farmer, Canton township, P.O. Windfall, is a native of York, Canada West (now Toronto, Ontario), born April 11, 1819. His parents were John and Jane (Hicks) Duart, natives of County Down, Ireland, and Scotland respectively. John Durant immigrated to New York City when a young man, was a stone mason by trade and he helped build the main tunnel used by the New York City Water-works; he lost his health while engaged in working on that tunnel and died in 1823, in his fortieth year. Mrs. Duart died at the age of seventy years. D.H. Duart, who is the fourth in order of birth in a family of seven sons and two daughters, was reared in Canada West, receiving a public-school education and removed to Towanda about 1837, where he worked five years at the carpenter’s trade; then came to Canton township, where he has since resided; he settled in the woods and cleared out his farm. He was married in Washington township, Wyoming County, Pa., in 1840, to Sarah, daughter of William and Elner (Myers) Place, the former of whom was a farmer and died in his native home, her grandfather, James, was of English descent and died in Pike county., Pa. Mrs. Duart, who is the sixth in order of birth in a family of thirteen, was born in Hamilton township, Monroe Co., Pa., June 26, 1817. To Mr. and Mrs. Duart were born thirteen children, of whom two are now living; Mary Jane (wife of Hiram Thomas) and John W. (married to Effie Bunyan). Mr. Duart is a member of the F. & A.M., Trojan Lodge, No. 306, also of the West Granville Grange; politically he is a Republican.
GEORGE W. DUBERT, farmer, P.O. Bog Pond, was born October 29, 1855, in Springfield township, this county, a son of Andrew and Elizabeth (Fraley) Dubert, natives of Saxony, Germany, who came to the country when young people, with their parents; they were agriculturists, and the father is still living. Grandfather Fraley is seventy-seven years of age. Grandfather Dubert was a soldier in the German army, and died in January 1890 at the age of eight-two years. George W. Dubert, who is the eldest in a family of four children, all now living, was reared on the farm and educated in the schools of the township; he has been a carpenter and farmer. The family are owners of a fine farm of 200 acres, dairying being the principal business. Mr. Dubert was married October 12, 1887, to Estella W. Burnham, who was born August 10, 1864, a daughter of Orrin A. and Fannie J. (Raynor) Burnham, of Ridgebury, this county, who are still living in the country and are tillers of the soil; her father was of English ancestry, tracing his lineage to the Wisners, who were among Pilgrims of the "Mayflower;" her grandfather, Rayner, who had been in the War of 1812, and was a pensioner, died at the age of seventy years; and her grandmother died at the age of eighty-eight years. Mr. and Mrs. Dubert have no children. They have a very fine home, the location being one of the best in the township,
having a magnificent prospect. Mr. Dubert is a Republican, and takes an active part in political affairs.
WILLIAM E. DUMOND, farmer, P.O. Alba, was born in Armenia township, this county, November 12, 1845 and is a son of Jacob Y. and Harriet (Kiff) Dumond, natives of Delaware county, N.Y., who settled in Armenia in 1839, and cleared and improved the farm occupied by subject. Jacob Y. Dumond was a son of James Dumond, and his wife a daughter of James Kiff; their children were: James, Jane (Mrs. Samuel Kendrick), William E., Imogene (Mrs. William Barber), John H., Hamilton T., Clarence, and Florence (Mrs. Albert Moggan). William E. Dumond was reared in Armenia, and was a member of Company C, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, during the War of the Rebellion, and after two years was honorable discharged. His wife was Lalia, daughter of Asa and Mary (Harding) Pratt, and by her he has two children; Perry and Minnie. He is a member of the G.A.R. and in politics is a Republican.
OLIVER G. DUNBAR, farmer, Springfield township, P.O. Big Pond, was born August 23, 1842 in Troy township, a son of Alanson and Martha (Burke) Dunbar, natives of Springfield township. The father, a farmer, came from Connecticut in an early day, and settled at Troy with a large family; Mr. Dunbar’s great grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier; the father lived to the age of fifty-four and the mother to the age of sixty-seven. Mr. Dunbar was the second in a family of eleven children, was reared on the farm and educated in the schools of the township. When twenty-two years of age he enlisted in Company L, First New York Veteran Cavalry, under the war as a teamster. He was married December 31, 1866, to Mary Jane, daughter of Alfred H. and Jane Strong, of Springfield, and who was born January 29, 1842, the youngest of the family of four children; her two brothers, William H. and Edwin C. Strong, were in the Civil War. Mr. and Mrs. Dunbar have had only one child, who died in infancy. He is the owner of a well-improved farm of forty acres, which is under a fine state of cultivation, and has been a successful business man, is a good neighbor and a kind friend; he is a Republican in politics, and has held the offices of school director, commissioner and auditor several years, and also other positions of public trust; is a member of the I.O.O.F., P. of H. and of the G.A.R.
WILLIAM H. DUNHAM, a leading farmer of Windham township, P.O. Windham, is a native of Bradford county, Pa., born April 5, 1834, a son of Henry and Sybil (Wait) Dunham, of New York, and German extraction. The father was a mechanic, and one of the early settlers in Windham, having come in 1806, and lived until 1887; the mother died in 1890. They had ten children, of whom William H. is the fourth. He grew to his majority on the farm, and since he commenced life on his own account has prospered. Receiving his share of his father’s real estate, he had added thereto, until he now owns ninety acres, In 1861 he enlisted in Company H, sixty-fourth New York Infantry, Second Army Corps, and was in the battles of Fair Oaks, Harrison’s Landing and Antietam, when he was seized with typhoid
fever, and sent to the hospital in Washington; was honorable discharged November 20, 1862, has been an invalid continuously since, and is now a pensioner. He is a member of the Warwick Post, No. 529, G.A.R. and politically, votes with the Republican party. He was married in 1863 to Elizabeth Hand, who was born in Windham township, this county, a daughter of Alexander and Mary (Manchester) Hand. Of this marriage have been born five children; Howard (in Tioga county), Henry, Harrold (deceased), Sybil M. and William. The family are much esteemed by a wide circle of friends.
E.L. DUNKLEE, insurance agent, Wyalusing, was born in Steuben county, N.Y., October 4, 1843, and is a son of Ellis and Lucinda (Bixby) Dunklee, natives of Vermont, of English origin; his father followed contracting and building many years, and then purchased a farm in Steuben county, N.Y., where he has resided forty-eight years; his father was born in 1813 and his mother in 1817 and died in 1887; they had a family of seven children, viz: Eli, farmer of Cooper’s Plains, N.Y.: Melvina, married to Benjamin Balcona, farmer of Curtis, N.Y.; James, of Rochester, N.Y., who served in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-First New York Infantry, was wounded at Resaca and discharged on account of disability from wound; E.L.; Emma, married to Lorain Carpenter and died in 1883; Clara, married to G.M. Bixby, a banker of Wyalusing who died in 1880; and Calista, married to Adelbert Scott, a farmer of Campbell, N.Y. Subject was born and reared on a farm and attended the common schools of his district until seventeen years of age. August 28, 1862, he enlisted in Company E, One Hundred and Forty-first New York Infantry, and after a hard service, interspersed with sickness and spending about eleven months in hospital, and making the famous campaign with Sherman from Atlanta to the sea, and then through the Carolinas to Washington, received his discharge and was mustered out with the company. He returned home and entered Madison University of Hamilton, N.Y., but after a four years course, his health failed him and he was compelled to leave school; then went to work on the farm where he remained one year; then a traveling salesman about five years; in 1876 he came to Wyalusing and entered the bank with his brother-in-law, G.M. Bixby, remained until the latter’s death, since which time he has had charge of the Bixby estate, and been engaged in insurance business. He was united in marriage September 25, 1872, with Grace I., daughter of Josiah and Sarah Ann (Richardson) Lewis of N.Y. They have a family of five children; Helen, Emery J., Maynard D., Clara A., and Ellis. Mr. Dunklee is a member of Jackson Post No. 74, G.A.R., Wyalusing of which he is a quartermaster. His family are all members of the Baptist Church in which he is an earnest worker; a Republican, and has been town clerk for the past ten years; and held the appointment as watchman in the State Senate in 1887 and 1888.
BARCLAY DUNN, farmer, P.O., Franklindale, was born in Sussex County, N.J., August 10, 1830 a son of William and Mary (Yetter) Dunn, the former of whom was born in New York and the latter in Sussex county, N.J. William Dunn always lived in Sussex county where he died; he was the father of ten children-eight sons and two
daughters-all of whom grew to maturity. Our subject, who is the seventh in the family was reared and educated in Sussex county, N.J., at the common schools; he boated twenty-seven years on the Delaware & Hudson Canal, and also the Erie canal, at which he accumulated considerable money; the rest of his life was devoted to farming. After leaving New Jersey he located in Carbon Co., Pa., where he lived four years, from which place he removed to Standing Stone, Bradford county, where he lived nineteen years; then removed to his present location in Franklin township, where he has since resided, twenty years. He was married July 27, 1851 to Miss Sophia, daughter of Daniel and Ann Rough, natives of Luzern county, Pa., and this union resulted in the birth of five children - three sons and two daughters – all of whom grew to maturity as follows: Emanda A., Elmer, Cyrus, Clara Born, and Henry W. Mr. Dunn is in easy circumstances, enjoying the confidence of his fellow townsmen, whom he served faithfully as commissioner six years; he is a general farmer, devoting himself to all branches of agriculture; he belongs to the Patrons of Industry and politically is a Democrat.
AUGUSTUS DURUZ, farmer, P.O. Gillett, was born near Paris, France, April 18, 1844, a son of J.P. and Mary Ann (Gordeaux) Duruz, natives of France. J.P. Duruz was a merchant, also an officer in the French army. The family came to this country November 2, 1854 and first located on Long Island, remaining one year; then came to Sheshequin township, this county, where they were for two years; from there removed to Towanda and purchased the Dan Bartless place, where he died in 1876, in his sixty-ninth year; his widow still survives him, aged now seventy-nine years, and is living in Towanda. Their family consisted of eight children – five daughters and three sons – all of whom grew to maturity, and six are living at the present time. The subject of these lines, who is the sixth in the family, was reared and partially educated in France, and in early life learned the carpenter’s trade at which he worked a number of years. On July 4, 1867, he married at Towanda, Emily, daughter of Henry and Emeline Jones; and there were born to them five children; Louise, (married to Henry Sweeney, a farmer), Augusta, Charles, Eugene and Ella. Mr. Duruz moved to South Creek township on 1879 and purchased of John Livins what is know as the "Brown Place", on which he is now living; he built a new house and made many necessary improvements; is a hard-working, industrious man. He rents two farms which he oversees, besides his own which contains seventy-five acres; is a general farmer, raising grain, hay and stock; owns several blooded Jersey’s and has one very fine colt, registered; there is an abundance of fruit on his place, all his own planting.
DR. CHARLES DWYER, physician, Springfield, was born October 9, 1857 in Smithfield, this county, a son of Rev. W.H.H. and May J. (Greenleaf) Dwyer, the former of whom, born in Rutland, Vt., was a Baptist preacher, and organized the church at Canton, of which he was pastor some years, as well as at Troy, Alba, Wells, Columbia, Smithfield Centre and LeRoy; he died at the age of sixty-seven years. The mother was born in Alba, and is still living at the age of sixty-
three years; the paternal great-grandfather, was born in France and
was educated for a Roman Catholic priest; his name was Devereaux, but on
emigrating to this county changed it to Dwyer; he practiced law many years
at Worchester, Mass; his son, our subjects grandfather, was also a lawyer,
and was at one time judge of Essex county, NY, and later in life, as a
Baptist clergyman, was pastor of the church at Alba and at other places
in the county. Dr. Dwyer, who was the seventh in family of ten children,
was educated at Smithfield, and studied medicine, attending lectures at
the Bennet Eclectic Medical College, Chicago., Ill.; was graduated in the
spring of 1888, commenced his profession at Springfield in the fall of
that year, and now enjoys an extensive and lucrative practice. He had three
brothers in the Civil War, Malcolm being acting assistant adjutant general
at the close of the struggle. The doctor was married August 26, 1883 to
Edna W. Teeter of Springfield, daughter of William and Margaret (Watson)
Teeter, and born February 27, 1863; they have two children; a daughter
Margaret J., born March 12, 1886 and a son, Esmund D., born August 21,
1891. Dr. Dwyer is a Republican, a member of the Baptist church and enjoys
the confidence of a wide circle of friends; his wife is a member of the
|FRANK EDWARD EASTABROOK, manufacturer of lumber, lath and shingles,
Stevensville, was born in Potterville, this county, January 12, 1861, a
son of Edward Jesse and Emeline (Potter) Eastabrook, the former a native
of Pennsylvania and a tailor and shoemaker by trade. In his family there
were six children, of whom our subject is the fifth. Frank E. Eastabrook
was educated in the common school and at Warner’s Commercial College, Elmira,
N.Y.; he began life for himself at twenty, and took up lumbering as his
occupation, which he has followed since. In 1883 he engaged in business
with Elmer F. Stevens, and they do a very large business. Mr. Eastabrook
was married January 19, 1885, to Ella, daughter of Johnston and Sarah (Rockwell)
Stevens, and they have two children; Mildred C., born April 19, 1887 and
Victor S., born July 31, 1890. Mr. Eastabrook is a member of the Presbyterian
Church, of which he is Sunday-school superintendent; he is a Republican,
and at present holds office of tax collector.
[Photo sent in by Bill Benson]
A.J. EASTABROOKS, retired, Towanda, was born in Wyson township, this county, January 3, 1823 and is a son of William and Wealthy (Shurtliff) Eastabrooks, whose nativity was CT., both born of remote English ancestry, of the class of yeomen who were among the pioneers of Bradford county, and located in Wysox township, where the father died in 1826. He reared a family of six children, of whom the subject of this sketch is the youngest, in the order of birth, of four sons and two daughters. The lad was favorably surrounded for that day and grew into manhood on a farm with his older brother, and following in the line of his ancestors, became a farmer. He was soon widely known as a man of probity and rare intelligence. He quitted his farm in 1850, and removed to Towanda, where he engaged actively in business. When the war cloud burst upon the land, he was quick to respond to his county’s call and enrolled his name in