History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
Company I, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves; was assigned as a member of the regimental band, and was wounded and lost his arm at the second battle of Bull Run, August 29, 1862; his arm was amputated, and when he was sufficiently recovered he returned to his home. President Grant appointed him to a clerkship in Washington, and he was there in that employ for thirteen years, with a salary, a portion of the time, of $1,400 a year. He then returned to his Towanda home, and took his old place among the good people of the town as one of the much-respected leading men of the county, interested in all public affairs. He has built his share of houses in Towanda, and contributed well towards the general improvement of the county’s capital, and is now quietly enjoying the repose of life in his elegant mansion. He was married, July 1, 1844, to Miss Mary, daughter of Russell Pratt, and a sister of Dr. D. S. Pratt; she died in 1889. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he is a prominent official, as well as class leader.
C. J. EASTABROOKS, farmer and stock grower, P. O. South Hill, was born in Towanda township, this county, November 18, 1838, and is a son of Judson and Eliza (Robinson) Eastabrooks, of Orwell Hill. The father, who was born in Hartford, Conn., July 31, 1812, was a farmer and carpenter; he had a family of six children, viz.: Charles J., Elvira (married to Leonard Ross, and died), Mary (married to J. M. Davies, of Owego), Alice (married to Sands Dunham), Emma (living at home) and Edwin (died aged seven years). The subject of this sketch received his education in the common schools of the county, at the Academy of Camptown, and Towanda Collegiate Institute. He taught school until August 8, 1862, when he enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Forty-first Regiment, P. V. I., of which he was made sergeant, and December 31, 1862, he was promoted to commissary-sergeant, which position he filled until mustered out. He declined a second lieutenant’s commission. He served with his regiment until the close of the war, and was absent on but two short furloughs; his duties were hard and dangerous, as he would have to issue rations at night generally, and thus would be exposed to the dangers and difficulties incident to darkness; he served faithfully through the term of his enlistment, and was honorably discharged, at Harrisburg, and mustered out with his regiment. After returning home he purchased the farm now owned by Vernon Tyrell, and continued there until 1872, when he sold and went to Rome, where he embarked in mercantile business with L. R. Browning, and was there until 1875, when he again sold and purchased his present farm of 170 acres of fine land., in Orwell township, all under a high state of cultivation, which he has greatly improved, and has it well stocked with Jersey and Holstein cattle, sheep and horses; premium at fairs whenever exhibited. On September 26, 1865, he was untied in wedlock with Hermine C., daughter of George W. and Emmaline (Terrel) Prince, who had a family of three children, viz.: George M., Hermine C. and Charles V. To Mr. and Mrs. Eastabrooks have been born three children: One died in infancy; Charles F. (deceased), and Charley B., born December 9, 1873. The family are
786 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which Mr. Eastabrooks holds the position of trustee ; he is a Freemason, and has taken the third degree; also a member of Stevens Post, No. 69, G. A. R., and is on the financial committee. A staunch Republican, he takes an active interest in the politics of his section, and has held various township offices, being now an auditor of Orwell. Mr. Eastabrooks has had his own way to make in the world, and has been eminently successful. He was among the first to offer his services to his country, and in that service lost his health. He and his excellent lady have a very large circle of friends in Orwell and adjoining townships, and enjoy the esteem and respect of all who know them.
MARCUS EASTABROOKS (deceased) was born in Windham county, Conn., January 27, 1793, a son of Peleg and Rebecca (Sallsbery) Eastabrooks. He was married July 29, 1826, to Alathen Gray, of Connecticut, who was born July 30, 1800, and was a daughter of Jonas and Mary Gray, farmers. Marcus Eastabrooks came to Bradford county in 1820, and settled on the land now owned by Solomon Chaffee; remained here tow years, and then returned to Connecticut to bring the remaining members of the family - his father, mother and sisters, Sallie and Diana. His family consisted of the following children: Levi, William, Jessie (drowned while quite small), Jessie, Marcus, Sylvester (died in infancy), Sallie, Diana (married Eleazer Allis, Jr.), William and Reuben. Marcus was married in Susquehanna county, and on coming to this country to this country h found a log cabin already erected on his land, in which he settled and began the life of a pioneer; his first had neither door, window, nor chimney, nor was it even chinked; they would hang blankets for doors, and his wife would do her cooking out in the yard. He had no time to finish the house, but had to cut down the trees and plant among the roots; all the cultivation the crops received was the weeds being pulled when they became too rank. That fall he finished his home, harvested his little crop and the battle with the wilderness was fairly begun; his wife, beside attending to her young children and other household duties, would spin and weave all the linen and woolen cloth needed to clothe the family. The farm he cleared contained ninety-five acres, and he chopped and grubbed the entire place, and fitted it for cultivation; he built a small frame house in 1855, which still stands, and had a small sugar bush. Mr. Eastabrooks died, April 2, 1874, at the ripe old age of eighty-one, his wife having passed away July 7, 1877, aged seventy-seven. He was an old-school Baptist but never became connected with any church; in politics he was first an Old-line Whig, and then a Republican. Mr. Eastabrooks was one of the best-known pioneers of this country, noted far and near for his integrity and hospitality, sobriety and industry. No man ever went from his house hungry, or was refused the hospitable shelter of his roof ; this trait of character has been inherited by his daughters, who are noted far and near for their hospitality. To him and his devoted wife were born three daughters as follows: Nancy, born July 17, 1828, who assisted her father in his farm labors, chopping, piling brush and rolling logs as well as hoeing and harvesting grain (she married, December 7, 1858, Chauncey Tingley, who died April 11, 1859,
787 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
and his stricken widow bowed to the sore affliction); Hannah, the second daughter, was born March 9, 1830, and Lucy, the youngest was born December 4, 1836. W. R. Pickering, an adopted brother, is where these daughters make their home. This is one of the highly respected families of Bradford county.
JAMES H. EASTGATE, superintendent of the tannery at Grover, was born in Ulster county, N. Y., October 6, 1848, and is a son of Herman Neal and Ellen (Mason) Eastgate, the former of whom at present resides in Scranton ; the mother died October 8, 1848. Our subject is their only child, and was reared in Ulster county, receiving a public-school and academic education ; he learned the tanner’s trade in Ulster county, N. Y., with Adam Innes. In 1865 he removed to Granville township, where he remained until July, 1871, when he came to Grover in which place he has since resided, with the exception of from May 21, 1884, until November 7, 1889, when he was in the Granville tanneries. In September, 1889, he purchased the gristmill from Robert Innes, which was just commenced, and he completed it. He was married in Granville, October, 19, 1870, to Mary C., daughter of Adam and Helen (McNeil) Innes; she is the third in the order of birth in a family of eight children, and was born in Ulster county, N. Y., May 15, 1870. To Mr. and Mrs. Eastgate have been born three daughters: Sarah L., Helen R. and Iantha E. Mr. Eastgate is a member of the F. & A. M., Troy Lodge, No. 306, Troy Chapter, No. 261, Canton Commandery, No. 64, and of the I. O. O. F. Lodge No. 687, Granville Centre, and has passed all the chairs of the Order. Politically he is a Republican.
CALVIN J. EASTMAN, blacksmith, Orwell, was born October 22, 1838, in Guilford, N. Y., a son of George W., and Lydia (Mann) Eastman; his father was a wagon-maker and carpenter and joiner, and came to Bradford county in 1840, and located in Rome township; then removed to a farm in Orwell, owned by his son, J. I. Eastman, and died there June 12, 1875; the mother is with her son. In his father’s family there were the following children; Willis (deceased); J. I., married to Theodora Lewis, and Calvin, who spent his early life in Rome, attended school there, learned his trade of blacksmith and worked at it eight years; then came to Orwell, in the fall of 1863, and worked twelve years; then bought his present shop and has occupied it since. He married Mary, daughter of C. S. Smith, and to them have been born the following children, two of whom were born in New York: Elizabeth (married to Marion Dunn); Charles W. (married to Flora Brown); Kate S. and Lewis E. The Family are Presbyterians, and Mr. Eastman is trustee and chorister, assisted in the latter capacity by his wife; both are fine musicians, as are their daughters. Kate taught school in this county several years; the children were all educated on Orwell Hill. Mr. Eastman is a member of the K. of H.; is a Republican and has held the offices of township treasurer and school director. He and his family are much esteemed by a wide circle of acquaintances and friends.
JOHN I. EASTMAN, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Orwell, was born in Rome Township, this county, October 23, 1845, and is a son of George W. and Lydia Y. (Mann) Eastman, the former of whom
788 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
was born in Ashford, Conn.,, February 2, 1803, a son of Justice and Sallie (Farnham) Eastman, natives of that place, born in 1777 and 1778, respectively, and who had he following children: Otis (born July 9, 1801, died in infancy), George W., Lucius (born April 30, 1805, died June 22, 1870), Asa F. (born April 21, 1808, died in August, 1888), Lanson (born August 7, 1810, deceased), Hannah S. (born May 17, 1813, married to Nathaniel Dickinson). The father was a carpenter and joiner, and also worked at wagon-making and shoemaking. He was married January 7, 1828, in Otsego county, N. Y., where he lived until 1841, when he removed to Rome, where he worked at carpentering and wagon-making, and built the Baptist and Methodist churches; also many residence; he lived there twenty-two years, and then removed to Orwell township, to the farm the son now occupies; he was an extensive contractor in his day, and in 1837 was overseer of the carpenters and builders on the State Capitol at Madison, Wis. He died June 3, 1875; his widow survives. To them were born the following named children: Willis (born December 28, 1829, deceased), Lucy Jane (born September 28, 1833, died August 25, 1837); Calvin J., John I., and Sarah J. (born September 26, 1847, married to Theodore Lewis). John I. Eastman spent the greater portion of his life on a farm in Orwell township, and was educated in the common schools. He had followed farming with god success, down to the present time, and has lived on the old homestead. He was united in wedlock December 19, 1867, with Lucy A. Brown, and to them has been born a family of six children, viz.: Willis H. (born June 6, 1869), James E. (born November 25, 1870), Lillie M. (born September 24, 1872), Flora B. (born December 15, 1875), George U. (born October 27, 1877), and Josie Irene (born November 6, 1886). The parents of our subject were both members of the Presbyterian Church, in which the father was for many years an elder. In his political views the father was first a democrat, and then a Republican, and he had held the various town offices. John I. Eastman is a Republican, and he had also held the various township offices. Mr. and Mrs. Eastman have a pleasant home, the old Eastman homestead, and has his farm well improved and stocked. He is surrounded with a large circle of friends.
WILLIAM H. EATON, locomotive engineer, L. V. R. R., P. O. Sayre, is a native of Towanda, this county, and was born April 2, 1850, a son of Gurden H. and Lucinda (Holcomb) Eaton, the former a native of New York, and the latter of Ulster, this county. The father, who was a cabinet-maker, and served a number of years as justice of the peace and constable in Towanda, died there in the spring of 1878, in his sixty-fourth year; the mother died in 1856, in her thirty-ninth year. William H., who is the youngest in a family of five children, was reared in Towanda, and completed his education, attending the collegiate institute at that place three terms. He began work in the station baggage room in Towanda in the fall of 1868, and was appointed baggage master same year; served one year, and then commenced firing on the road, and was on the line until 1874. Afterward
789 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
he worked with his father about two years, and was then employed firing on the G. I. & S. R. R.; was promoted to engineer in 1877and ran one year and three months, when he went to Buffalo, and was on the B. & W. R. R. braking three months; then went on the N. Y. C. R. R. as a conductor of a yard engine, remaining with the company three years, after which he came to Sayre in 1883, fired on year, was then promoted to engineer, and has been running on the line since. Mr. Eaton was married in Waverly, N. Y., April 26, 1882, to Miss Emma, daughter of Jabez B. and Amelia (Rightmire) Harding, the former a native of Tunkhannock, Pa., and the latter of Tompkins county, N. Y. Her father was a farmer in early life, and has been in the employ of the L. V. R. R. over twenty years as general yard master at Waverly Junction. Her great-grandfather, Elisha Harding, was in the Wyoming massacre, and had two brothers killed two or three days before the massacre, while hoeing corn. Mrs. Eaton is the eldest in a family of three children, and was born in Tompkins county, N. Y., March 4, 1853. To Mr. and Mrs. Eaton has been born a son: Clarence Harding. Mr. Eaton is a member of the order of Red Men, Iron Hall, Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, Division No. 380, and has been first assistant engineer since the Lodge was organized; is secretary of the Locomotive Engineers Life Insurance Association, and in politics is a Democrat.
PETER H. EDINGER, farmer in Tuscarora township, P. O. Spring Hill, was born in Stroudsburg, Monroe county, Pa., April 9, 1844, son of David and Sally (Learn) Edinger, natives of Pennsylvania, and of German origin. Mr. Edinger was educated in the common school and learned the carpenter and joiner trade at Laceyville, with Samuel Gregory of that place, and at the age of twenty-five he commenced life for himself, working that trade in Laceyville, Wyalusing, Tunkhannock, and various other places; about six years later he purchased his present place of 100 acres and engaged in farming, at which he has since continued. He was married, March 7, 1877, to Miss Effie, daughter of Demmon and Abigal (Lacey) Ackley, of Tuscarora township, and the following named children are the fruits of this union: Harry Ackley, born July 31, 1882; Helen, born January 2, 1887, and Vernie Florence, born May 10, 1891. Mr. Edinger, although not a professional politician, is a firm adherent of the principles of the Democratic party.
JOHN W. EDSELL (deceased), late farmer in Pike township, was born August 12, 1835, and died March 14, 1886. He was married January 2, 1859, to Sarah E., daughter of Wells and Roth Pratt, in whose family there were ten children, Sarah E. being the sixth. To Mr. and Mrs. Edsell were born the following named children: Wisos W., a farmer, Salona L., who resides at home; Clarence S., a farmer; Vernon L., at home; and Nettie (deceased). The family members are of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Republican in politics.
JOHN M. EDSON, machinist and inventor, Towanda, was born in Wareham, Plymouth Co., Mass., May 8, 1847, a son of William and Eunice B. (Morton) Edson, and comes of Puritan stock. He was reared in his native town, and received a common-school education. On
790 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
August 15, 1862, when but fifteen years of age, he enlisted in Company A, Twentieth Massachusetts Volunteers. At Antietam he volunteered to go into the battle, as his father did at the Battle of Ball’s Bluff, where he was wounded, a ball passing through his body, on account of which he was discharged. After regaining his strength, however, he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment (Company A, Twentieth Massachusetts Volunteers), and gave his consent to his son’s going, and at Antietam the boy was shot down by his father’s side, being wounded in the right thigh. He was sent to the hospital, and honorably discharged in January, 1863, on account of disability. On January 4, 1864, he re-enlisted, this time in Company F, Fourth Massachusetts Cavalry, and was in several skirmishes and at the battle of Deep Run, after which he was placed on the staff of Gen. Ord, Twenty-fourth Army Corps, as orderly; was afterward transferred to the First Division, Third Brigade, under Gen. Plaisted, and later under Gen. Dandy, until the close of the war. He was at the battle of Hatcher’s Run, in the charge of Fort Gregg and at the surrender of Lee at Appomattox. After the surrender of Lee our subject was on patrol duty at Richmond, Va., four weeks, and was then sent to Surrey in charge of seven men, to take the census of the colored people of that county. After finishing his work there he was ordered to Richmond, where he was honorably discharged from the service in January, 1866. He then returned home and followed the sea until 1871. In 1867 he made his first voyage, a cruise in a whaling ship on the Pacific Ocean, steering about as far south as the Equator, near where they killed a sperm whale that yielded 120 barrels of oil. This was soon after the war when oil was selling at $2.60 per gallon; and though this was their only catch during a six months’ voyage, still it paid them very well. Mr. Edson also made two voyage to the Western Banks and the Grand Banks, cod fishing. He was always looked to in times of danger by the captain and crew as the safest man at the wheel, and on two occasions, during storms, he had to be lashed to the wheel for security. After his return from the sea he went to Boonton, N. J., where he learned the machinist’s and nailer’s trade, under Fuller, Lord & Co., and while with them he built the first nail self-feeder ever made. He has since that time followed nail making; has been employed much of his time during twelve years at the Towanda Nail Works; has worked at the trade in the following States: Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Alabama, Tennessee and Virginia. It is his intention to abandon the nailing business in the spring of 1892, and devote his time to inventing. He is the inventor of the "Edson Automatic Nail Feeder," now extensively used in the principal nail factories of the country.
Mr. Edson was married, in 1879, to Anna E., daughter of Gen. John Sheets, of Pottstown, Pa., and by her has four children: Huldah M., Ocsar N., Eunice B., and John M. Mr. Edson was connected with the National Guard of Pennsylvania for five years, and represented
791 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
the State in 1879-80-81 in the Interstate Military Match at Creedmoor. He was captain of the South Illinois Rifle Club, three years, and of the Towanda, Pa., Rifle Club until he went West, and was always considered one of the best rifle shots in the State. He is a member of the F. & A. M., the G. A. R. the K. of L., also of the United Nailers of America and of the Amalgamated Association of Iron and Steel Workers. Politically Mr. Edson is Independent.
LEWIS EIGHMEY, proprietor of Opera House, Sayre, is a native of Durham, Greene Co., N. Y., and was born April 17, 1833; his parents were John and Henrietta (Woodward) Eighmey, natives of New York State; his father was a farmer, and died in 1885, in his seventy-seventh year; his mother died in 1882, in her seventy-third year. Lewis is the second of a family of six sons and five daughters; received a fair public school education, and commenced life on his own account in the timber business and also ran a sawmill, and followed this a greater part of the time until 1884, when he removed from his native place to Athens township, in February, 1849; in 1861 went to Troy, this county and enlisted, in October 1861, in Company C, Seventh Cavalry; and was in the commands of Gens. Buell, Rosecrans and Sherman; was taken prisoner August 21, 1862, at Gallatin, Tenn., by Gen. Monroe, and was paroled after three days, and sent to Annapolis, Md., and returned to his command March 1, 1863. When his term of service expired he re-enlisted and served until the close of the war, and was mustered out at Macon, Ga., August 25, 1865; returned to Athens and remained there about a year, then went to Pine Creek township, Tioga county, and was there two years, and from there went to Warren, then to Pittsfield, and remained there until 1873; then to Bradford, and during the time he was there drilled oil wells; he remained in this place until 1882, when he removed to Sayre, and commenced building the "Opera House" which was furnished in 1884; the building is 80 x 51, three stories: first floor, stores, second, dwellings, and the third, an opera hall, 80x51, and stage 51x24, and 455 chairs. He married, in Athens township, in 1857, Susan, daughter of John and Katy (Decker) Westfall, natives of New Jersey; she is the fourth of a family of seven children, and was born in Sussex county, March 10, 1844. To this happy marriage was born a daughter, Linnia; they are members of the Episcopal Church; he is a member of the G. A. R., Mallory Post, No. 285, Union Veteran Legion, No. 28, Athens and Union Veterans Union, No. 18, Sayre; a member of the school board of Sayre, and is a Republican.
JOHN H. ELLIOTT, farmer, P. O. Stevensville, was born in Wyalusing, this county, October 17, 1833, a son of Harry and Euphemia (Beeman) Elliott, natives of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively, and of New England origin. In their family there were six children, viz: John H., Deborah (born March 27, 1835, married to Dr. W. W. Smith, of Montrose), Ellen J. (born March 1, 1839, and living with John H.), Francis J. (born February 13, 1846, a farmer at Friendsville, Pa.), Clarence W. (born March 24, 1849, a farmer at Birchardville, Pa.); Alta M. (born September 23, 1854, living with our subject). John H. Elliott was reared on a farm, educated in the common
792 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
schools, and remained with his parents while they lived. He enlisted at Owego, N. Y., September 3, 1864, in Company D, Fifth New York Cavalry, was in the battle of Waynesborough and many minor engagements, was mustered out at Winchester, Va., June 13, 1865. The family were all born in Wyalusing, but lived in Rome from 1860 until 1868, and then returned to Wyalusing. In 1890 John H. and his two sisters removed to the A. B. Barrows farm in Pike township, and in 1891to the farm of Mr. Charles Cobb, where they reside at present.
A. C. ELSBREE, retired, Athens, is a native of Warren township, this county, born October 3, 1821, a son of Joseph and Mary (Mackey) Elsbree, natives of Albany county, N. Y., who removed to this county about the year 1819. The father was a farmer, born July 15, 1790, and died in Windham township, this county, February 19, 1856; the mother was born January 20, 1793, and died July 4, 1877. A. C. Elsbree, who is the third in a family of six children, removed to Athens township in April, 1845, and has devoted his energies to farming, dairying, also extensively engaging in lumbering, buying timberland and manufacturing the lumber and putting it on the market. In 1873 Mr. Elsbree removed to the borough of Athens. He has three dairy farms and one stock farm, and has also given some time to raising good horses. Mr. Elsbree was married in Windham township, February 12, 1846, to Miss Nancy, daughter of Platt and Laura (Pease) Rogers, natives of Windham township. Platt Rogers was born January 2, 1796, and died June 30, 1873. Mrs. Rogers was born April 3, 1796, and died February, 1866. Mrs. Elsbree, who was the eldest of a family of eight children, was born in Windham township, February 28, 1819, and died October 8, 1888, a consistent member of the Baptist Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Elsbree served one term as school director in Athens township, and is president of Tioga Point Cemetery. In politics he is a Republican.
J. L. ELSBREE, ex-county treasurer, Athens, is a native of Windham township, this county, and was born December 6, 1837. His parents were Ira and Sally Ann (Dunham) Elsbree, also natives of this county; his father is a farmer, resides in Athens township, and is now in his eighty-second year; the mother died in August, 1887. J. L., who is the youngest in a family of four children, was reared ona farm and received a common-school education, and became a farmer, and combined, with that, lumbering and stock dealing, and, although not actively engaged in farming personally, he has the business carried on, and, with his father, has eight farms, seven of which they have farmed themselves. Mr. Elsbree leased the ground of the skating rink, and afterward bought the building and fitted it up for an Opera House; he is also one of the company that built the "Stimson House" block, and a stock holder in the Athens Coach Works, and is president of the Tiahoga Insurance Company, of Athens. He was married in Athens, in December, 1881, to Miss Jane Farr, a daughter of John Farr, a native of Ireland; she is the fourth of a family of seven children, and is a native of this county. To Mr. and Mrs. Elsbree were
793 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
born three children, viz.: Anna, John I. and Rena, deceased. Mr. Elsbree was elected county treasurer in November, 1884, and served one term; he served one term as councilman in Athens, and, while a Republican, is liberal and independent in his political actions; is a man of decided force of Character, and at all times pre-eminently has the courage of his convictions.
N. N. ELSBREE, a farmer and stock grower, P. O. Orwell, was born July 31, 1857, and is the son of James L. and C. C. (Lyon) Elsbree. The father was born November 22, 1833; a son of Martin Elsbree, who was born February 19, 1795. The father was born in Windham, and died July 1, 1860; he had two children: George F., who was born May 16, 1856, died August 10, 1856, and subject. The father died when N. N. was quite a small child, and the mother soon after married S. N. Bronson. N. N. Elsbree was reared in Mr. Bronson’s family, and was educated at Orwell Hill Academy, and at Towanda Collegiate Institute. Upon reaching his majority he began life for himself, and has devoted his attention to farming, stock raising and dealing in cattle and horses. In 1877 he purchased his present farm, which is the old Elsworth estate, and contains 147 acres. In 1887 he commenced breeding trotting horses, and now has some very promising colts of the Hambletonian stock; his favorite mares were sired, one by Gen. Grant and another by David Hume, and show marks of speed though not yet harnessed; has seven colts sired by Kire, a lineal descendant from Rysdyke’s premium at the Bradford Agricultural Society, both n 1889 and 1890, and also owns two fine brood mares, sired by Venango Chief, he by Venango, and he by Rysdale’s Hambletonian, dam, Lady Delivon; team. His barns are all planned by himself, and are models of convenience and elegance; his stables contain as promising a lot of youngsters as the county has ever produced, and, besides his horses, he keeps a large dairy. Mr. Elsbree was married April 26, 1882, to Kate L. Frisbie, daughter of A. C. Frisbie, and they have two children: James A., born September 28, 1884, and Harry S., born February 9, 1890. Mr. Elsbree is a Republican, and holds the office of town treasurer and postmaster.
PERRY H. ELSBREE, farmer, P. O. East Smithfield, was born in the town of East Smithfield, this county, March 7, 1853, a son of Joseph and Betsey (Allen) Elsbree, the former of whom was born in Cayuga county, N. Y., and came to this county with his parents when a boy, one of a family of nine children, that were pioneers to this county when it was a wilderness, and cleared the farm when Perry H. now lives; his father was a man of influence in political and church matters, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject’s mother was born in Smithfield township, this county, and her father lived west of Smithfield Centre; she was a teacher for many years, and a member of the Baptist Church. Perry H. Elsbree, who is fourth in a family of six children, was reared on his father’s farm and educated in the common schools of the town. His brother,
794 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
Charles, was in the Civil War, and proved a good soldier. Mr. Elsbree was married in 1879 to Mary, daughter of J.V. and Roxanna (Watkins) Huff, of Ulster, natives of New Jersey; her grandfather, Watkins, was a justice of the peace and hotel keeper, and was a man of great influence in his time. Mr. and Mrs. Elsbree have had four children, viz.: John Carl, born December 10, 1880; Jesse David, born November 11, 1883; Claude Huff, born October 27, 1885; Bessie May, born October 25, 1887. Mr. Elsbree is a Republican, has been an auditor of his town, and is a man of fine qualities, highly respected by a large circle of friends. The family are members of the Baptist Church.
EPHRAIM W. ELWELL, freight agent of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, Towanda, was born in Towanda, July 3, 1845, and is a son of William and Mary (Thayer) Elwell. His paternal grandfather was a native of Dutchess county, N. Y., and a pioneer of the northern of this county. He resided at Milltown (now Athens) for nearly fifty years. In later life, he moved to Van Etten, N. Y., where he died at the advanced age of ninety-four. His children were John, Nancy, Prentice, William, Evert, King, Edward and Phebe. The father of our subject was born in Athens. He received a good academical education, and taught school several years; he worked for a time with his father who was a carpenter and builder. He studied law under the late Judge Williston, and for thirty years practiced law in the northern counties, residing at Towanda. In 1862 he was elected president judge of the twenty-sixth Judicial District and removed to Bloomsburg, Pa. He was three times elected to that office, and served therein for twenty-five years; at the age of eighty years, 1888, he resigned. He was twice married. His first wife was Miss Clemena Shaw, by whom he had two children who grew to maturity, viz.: William and Clemena (Mrs. P. H. Smith); by his second wife, Mary L. Thayer, he had four children who grew to maturity, viz.: Ephraim W., George E., Mary L. (Mrs, N. U. Funk) and Charles P. Ephraim was reared in Towanda and Bloomsburg, was educated in the common schools and at Eastman’s Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y. Since 1869 he has been in the employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company and has held his present position since 1882. In 1872 he married Harriet M., daughter of William and Catherine Neal of Bloomsburg, Pa., and has one daughter living, Katherine N. Mr. Elwell is a member of the Episcopal Church, and politically is a Democrat.
JOSEPH M. ELY, furniture manufacturer, Athens, is a native of the city of New York, and since 1868 has been a prominent and active citizen of the borough of Athens. In the ante-bellum days he was a merchant in his native city, and when Fort Sumpter was fired on, his vessel, laden with stores, happened to reach a southern port just in time to be confiscated by the Confederates. He is a son of Joseph M. and Julia A. (Camp) Ely, the former of whom was born in Springfield, Mass., and the latter in Tioga county, N. Y. Joseph M., Sr., went to New York City to take charge of the Polytechnic School of that place, and afterward was in the South, engaged in stock raising, and in 1859, came to Athens and established a select high school, and died there in 1873, in his seventy-third year; his widow survived until 1888, and
795 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
died in her eighty-second year. The great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch on the maternal side was Captain Asaph Whittlesy, of Revolutionary War fame, who was killed at Forty Fort. The great-grandfather on the paternal side was Richard Ely, a sergeant in the Revolutionary War. The Elys came originally from Wales, and were among the earliest immigrants into New England. In the family of Joseph M. Ely, Sr., were seven children, of whom our subject was the second, and spent his young life in his native city, where he was well grounded in the higher education and prepared to enter Yale College. Upon attaining his legal majority he became junior member of the wholesale grocery house, and successfully conducted this until the breaking out of the late war, when he entered the military service and became first corporal of the famous New York Seventh Regiment, National Guards, in the company in which his brother was captain. This organization answered promptly to the country’s first call for troops. He was in this service one year, and afterwards was in the service quite a while at, and after the draft, at the time of the riots in New York. He then became a book-keeper in the New York Continental Bank. In 1868 he came to Athens and engaged in the hay, grain and coal trade until 1884, when he accepted a position with the Athens Furniture Company and is still in their employ. In January, 1870, he married Miss Lizzie, daughter of Robert and Margaret (Grinley) Hinschelwood, natives of Scotland and New York, respectively. Mr. Hinschelwood was the president of the New York Bank Note Company. Both he and his wife died in New York City. Their family consisted of four children, three living, of whom Mrs. Ely is the eldest. She is a member of the Episcopal Church, and her husband of the Presbyterian Church, and a member of A. F. & A. M., Rural Amity Lodge, No. 70, Northern Commandery No. 10, Chapter No. - , and is a member of I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 165, and has passed the chairs; a member of the Veterans Association of the Seventh Regiment. He was chief of the Athens Fire Department, and organized the same, and was for years on of the active volunteer "fire laddies;" a member of the Excelsior Hose Company, No. 14, New York; has served in the Athens borough council, and as borough clerk for years; politically he affiliates with the Republican Party.
JACOB EMERY, blacksmith, Asylum, was born in Asylum township, this county, May 13, 1833, and is a son of Jacob R. and Sarah A. (Ennis) Emery. Jacob Emery came to this when a boy, and being a blacksmith his son learned the trade of him; he was third in a family of fifteen children; his brother, Levi, was a soldier and was killed in the battle of the Wilderness soon after his arrival at the front. Jacob Emery was married June 11, 1854, to Lucy A., daughter of James and Lyda (Merithew) English, and was born January 13, 1837, in Monroeton; her parents were natives of this country, her father being one of the pioneers of Albany township and a preacher in the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Emery is the eldest in a family of five children; three of her brothers, Orlardo, William and John, were soldiers in the Civil War. There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Emery eight children, (seven of whom are living) as follows: Ida, born October
796 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
13, 1855: Acta L., born April 5, 1857, married to James Warring; Lucy E., Born October 21, 1858, married to Theodore Sluyter; James R., born April 3, 1860, married to Mary Lewis; Francis O., born December 29, 1862, married to Julia R. Piatt; Mary N., born February 8, 1873, now deceased; Jacob L., born January 2, 1879; Levi E., born November 8, 1880. Mr. Emery has always been a Republican, but is independent. The family members are of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he has been a trustee many years. The family are much esteemed by a wide circle of friends and acquaintances.
O. ENGLISH, farmer, P. O. Terrytown, was born on Harland Hill, Monroe township, this county, May 25, 1844, and is the son of James and Lydia (Merrithews) English, the former of whom was born in Albany, N. Y., and came to this county, locating in New Albany, where he made his residence some time but afterwards removed to Monroe township, where he now resides, a prosperous, practical farmer; his wife died in 1851; his family consists of five children, all of whom are living. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Monroe township, and has always been a tiller of the soil, at which vocation he has been successful. At the age of twenty-two, in 1867, he married, in Monroe township, Miss Euphame, daughter of Peter and Amanda Aumick, and there was born to them one son, Addison, now sixteen years of age. In 1861 Mr. English enlisted in the Fiftieth P. V. I., and served until the close of the war; he was seriously wounded at the battle of Chantilla, Va., at which time he was taken prisoner. He was honorably discharged as corporal, and now enjoys a life pension; he is a member of the G. A. R., and also of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He owns a neat farm of fifty acres, under perfect cultivation, with a beautiful house and spacious outbuildings, all of which he built recently; he is a self-made man, respected by his fellow citizens.
FREDERICK A. ENNIS, farmer, P. O. Standing Stone, was born in Standing Stone, July 6, 1848, a son of Alexander Ennis, who was born in Sussex county, November 24, 1816, and whose father was Levi Ennis, a native of Scotland, who came to this country when quite young and married, and had five children: James, Isaac, Sally, Anne (whose first husband was Ross Emory, and her second husband a Mr. Ayers); Alexander and Westfall; he died in 1857 and his wife in 1868. Alexander Ennis began life on a farm, and purchased of his father 200 acres, and built his house in 1851. In 1837, he managed the old Standing Stone Hotel, but soon returned to his farm; in 1864 he went to Rummerfield, and opened a store and built a hotel; both were burned in 1866; he then built a store near Standing Stone, which he carried on until his death, March 10, 1879; was justice of the peace twenty-one years, and a member of the Masonic Fraternity. He married, in 1837, Eleanor, daughter of Asa and Phebe (Vought) Stevens, the former of whom was one of five children, namely: Murray, Anna Amelia (wife of John M. Long), Frederick A., Augusta P. (wife of S. W. Vaughan) and Asa S. Mrs. Alexander Ennis died May 12, 1880. Frederick A., the subject of this sketch, attended the district schools until his nineteenth year, then the Towanda Collegiate Institute a
797 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
year, and was then in the employ of the Lehigh Valley Railroad Company, where he remained fourteen years. In 1885 he purchased, from Peter Landmesser, the "Rummerfield Hotel," conducted it two years, and then returned to his farm. He inherited, at his father’s death, in 1879, 112 acres of land, his present farm; he was formally a member of White Lilley Lodge, No. 808, I. O. O. F., and was tax collector in 1871, and road commissioner in 1885. May 4, 1869, he married Marion L., daughter of Benjamin and Libbie E. (Miller) Ingham. She was the youngest of four children. To this marriage there were born four children, as follows: Alexander, born June 24, 1871; John R., born June 17, 1873, and two children who died in infancy.
GEORGE S. ESTELL, salesman, Towanda, was born in Towanda, this county, January 24, 1854, and is a son of George H. and Sophia C. (Peck) Estell. His father was a native of Wyoming county, Pa., and a son of a clergyman, Edward Estell; he was a tailor by trade, and followed that business in Smithfield and Towanda some years; and was also engaged in the hotel business in Towanda, and the last eighteen years of life were spent in Canton, this county, where he was engaged in the clothing business; his first wife was Sophia C., daughter of Hezekiah M. and Ruth C. (Hale) Peck, and a sister of Judge Benjamin M. Peck, by whom he had three children, viz.: Fannie (Mrs. O. F. Benson), Florence (Mrs. James K. Thomas, deceased), and George S.; his second wife was Mrs. Susan (Arnot) Spaulding, of Franklindale, this county. Mr. Estell died June 2, 1885. His son, George S., was reared in Towanda and received an academical education at Owego and Moravia, N. Y. At the age of eighteen he went into the register and recorder’s office of Bradford county, where he filled the position of deputy recorder nearly three years. March 4, 1875, he entered the prothonotary’s office as clerk, and was in this position four years. January, 1879, he was appointed principal deputy prothonotary, which position he held under George W. Blackman four years, and latterly was assistant book-keeper and correspondent for the lumber firm of Shaw & Co., and since 1887 has followed the occupation of clothing salesman. Mr. Estell married, April 2, 1876, Allenia I., daughter of Asa and Mary J. (Moody) Douglass, of Towanda, and has two children: Mary F. and Stanley D. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and politically he is an Independent Republican.
DAVID T. EVANS, prominent dry-goods merchant, Towanda, was born in Remsen, Oneida Co., N. Y., June 11, 1844, a son of Thomas T. and Mary L. (Lewis) Evans, natives of Wales, who, in about 1825, came to America and settled in Utica, N. Y. His father afterward located in Remsen and engaged in farming, and in later life removed to Rome, N. Y., where he and his wife resided until they died. David T. Evans was reared in Oneida county, N. Y., educated in the graded schools of Rome, same county, and began life as a clerk in the dry-goods business. In 1867 he became a member of the dry-goods firm of Williams, Evans & Co., at Rome, N. Y., which partnership existed three years. In October, 1870, he located in Towanda, where he embarked in the dry-goods and carpet business with Henry
798 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
C. Hildreth, under the firm name of Evans and Hildreth, which partnership existed until the death of Mr. Hildreth in 1887, since when Mr. Evans has conducted a successful business alone. Mr. Evans was married in 1871 to Alida M., daughter of Col. John W. and Charlotte (Moulton) Phillips, of Syracuse, N. Y., by whom he has two sons: Charles and Walter. Mr. Evans is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics he is a Republican.
HENRY EVANS, farmer in Wilmot, P. O. Hollenback, was born May 14, 1838, in Wyoming county, Pa., and is the seventh in the family of eight children of Peter and Julia (Ellis) Evans, the former a native of Wales and the latter of Pennsylvania. He was thrown upon the world at the age of seven years, and was obliged to provide for himself thereafter. He enlisted at Troy, Pa., August 31, 1864, in Company A, Two Hundred and Seventh P. V. I. And continued in the regiment until the battle of Petersburg, when he was thrown from a steamboat, sustaining severe injuries to his back; he was then taken to East Philadelphia Hospital, where he remained until the close of the war. Mr. Evans was married, November 15, 1862, to Miss Olive, daughter of Reuben and Jane (Crawford) Wandell, and they have three children: Schuyler B., born September 15, 1863; Reuben W., born November 22, 1870; and Emma J., born September 20, 1878. Mr. Evans is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wilmot Centre, and is a Republican in politics.
EDWARD A. EVERITT, physician, Burlington, was born in Dutchess county, N. Y., August 11, 1831, a son of Dr. John and Sarah (Coryell) Everitt, the former a native of Litchfield county, Conn., born of English and Puritan origin; the latter a native of Nichols, Tioga Co., N. Y., of French descent, a daughter of Judge Emanuel Coryell of that county, and one of the pioneers, a man of great influence in his time. The great-grandfather Coryell owned a ferry at Trenton, N. J., at the time of the Revolutionary War, and assisted in transferring Washington’s army across the Delaware. Dr. John Everitt was a physician of note in his time, and belonged to a race of doctors, there having been from one to several in each family among his paternal ancestry as far back as can be traced; his paternal grandmother had a brother, L. Samuel Elmer, and an uncle, Col. Samuel Elmer, in the Revolutionary War, brave soldiers, the former of whom was shot dead while giving orders; Grandfather Everitt was also a soldier in the Revolution, as was also his brother, who was a steward to Gen. Washington. Our subject was educated at Owego Academy, N. Y.; attended lectures at Ann Arbor and Albany Medical College, was graduated from there in 1856, and entered the profession in Burlington in 1857, where he has since enjoyed an extensive and lucrative practice. He has been a delegate to the American Medical Association, and county physician many years. He has been twice married, first in 1856, to Harriet S. Greatsinger, by whom he had one daughter and one son; the latter is Dr. John E. Everitt, a physician practicing at Franklindale, a graduate of the University of New York; the daughter married, May 4, 1882, Alderman T. A. Pugett, of Elmira, N. Y. Mrs. Everitt died December, 1873, and in January, 1875, Mr. Everitt was married to Hattie
799 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
Phelps, of Burlington, who was born September 25, 1836, a daughter of Plynn and Lucy (Rice) Phelps, of French descent, natives of Vermont. He is an active Republican, and has been burgess of the borough several terms; has been a school director, and held several offices of public trust for the last eight years, and has been the secretary for that length of time. He takes great pride in being the possessor of a fine professional as well as a general library.
MORRIS FAIRBANKS, farmer, P. O. Austinville, was born in Columbia township, this county, August 23, 1834, a son of Samuel and Lois (Willey) Fairbanks, natives of Massachusetts and New Hampshire respectively, who settled in Columbia township in 1822, locating on the farm now owned by our subject, which they cleared and improved, adding to it from time to time until they accumulated 250 acres; here they resided until their death, the father dying on July 20, 1846, aged fifty-eight years, and the mother September 11, 1862, aged sixty-eight; they were the parents of the following named children: Rosannah (Mrs. Nichold Ingersoll), Flavay (Mrs. James Wright), Betsey (Mrs. Albert Judson), Louisa (Mrs. Solomon Judson), George, Harvey, Jane (Mrs. A. B. Dewitt), Fannie, Charlotte (Mrs. L. C. Edson) and Morris. The subject of this biographical memoir was reared on the old homestead where he resided until he was thirty-five years of age. He was educated in the common schools, and has always been a farmer. He has been a resident of Austinville since April 1, 1870, and in 1871-1872 he kept a hardware store there. On March 4, 1862, He married Sarah S., daughter of Harris and Susannah (Mansfield) Soper, of Rutland, Tioga Co., Pa., and they have one son, Harry. Mr. Fairbanks has been a justice of the peace of Columbia township eleven years, and re-elected for a term of five years in February, 1890; in 1874 he was treasurer of Columbia township, and in 1876 he was assessor of the same township; in politics he is a Democrat.
A. C. FANNING, one of Troy’s leading attorneys, was born in Springfield township, this county, July 25, 1851, and is a son of David and Autis B. (Kennedy) Fanning. His grandparents were Elisha and Betsey (Grace) Fanning, who settled in Springfield township, this county, in 1812, clearing and improving the farm now owned by Amos Fanning, on which they lived and died. Elisha Fanning was a son of Elisha and Mary (Button) Fanning of Massachusetts. He was twice married, and by his first wife, Betsey (Grace), he had six children: Amanda (Mrs. Stephen Mills); Eliza (Mrs. Ephraim Sargeant), David, Charlotte (Mrs. John Ward), William J. and Hiram. His second wife was Esther McKean, by whom he had two sons: Amos B. and Luther J. Of his children by his first wife, David, the father of subject of this sketch, is the only survivor. He was born February 15, 1811, and was reared in Springfield township where he cleared and improved the farm on which he now resides, his wife was a daughter of Alexander Kennedy, of Colrain, Vt., an early settler of Springfield township. He is a father of six children: Betsey (deceased), Melvina (Mrs. M. W. Smith), Amanda (Mrs. J. C. Leonard), Ira S., Melvin D. and Adelbert C. A. C. Fanning was reared on the homestead, and educated at the State Normal School at Mansfield, where he graduated
800 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
in 1872, studied law with the Hon. Delos Rockwell, of Troy, and H. W. Patrick, of Athens, and graduated from the Law Department, Michigan University, at Ann Arbor, in 1874, and in September of the same year he was admitted to the bar at Towanda. He immediately began the practice of his profession with H. W. Patrick, of Athens, with whom he was associated nearly a year, and in the fall of 1875 located in Troy where he has been in active practice. He was married April 16, 1885, to Jennie E., daughter of Edward E. and Louisa (Ballard) Loomis, of Troy, by whom he has two children: Adelbert Carl and Pauline. Mr. Fanning is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and socially he is a Sir Knight Templar. In politics he is a Republican, and was district attorney of Bradford county from 1881 to 1884.
JOHN QUINCEY ADAMS FASSETT, farmer, South Creek township, P. O. Fassett, was born in this county, near Troy, January 29, 1825, a son of Philo and Marion (Wheeler) Fassett, natives of Vermont. The father of Philo was an officer in the army in the Revolutionary War. Philo Fassett was born March 3, 1787; his wife, Marion, September 25, 1791; they removed to this county in 1812, and located near Troy, on what is known as the "Ballard Place;" they were very early pioneers, and lived in the vicinity of Troy about thirty years, during which time they were engaged in clearing their farm. They then removed to what is now known as "Fassett," near the New York State line, where Mr. Fassett purchased a tract of 300 acres, on which there was an abundance of timber, which he manufactured into lumber; also kept tavern about twenty years at the same place. The life of Mr. Fassett, like that of other early settlers, was uneventful; he reared ten children, all of whom grew to maturity, and six sons are now living. Our subject who is the seventh in his family, was reared in this county, attended school eighteen months at Elmira, N. Y., and the same time at Cortland, N. Y. He has always confined himself to farming; has never married, and owns about eighty acres of fertile land; he has lived in Fassett since 1830. Mr. Fassett is a member of the Baptist Church.
ANDREW FEE (deceased). - This gentleman was among Wyalusing’s best known and most highly respected citizens, born in Ballybay, County Monaghan, Ireland, August 14, 1826, a son of Michael and Margaret (Martin) Fee, natives of the same place. His schooling was limited, indeed, but being a constant reader, he acquired a store of knowledge that made him one of the best versed men on the topics of the times that the county has produced, and he is also a splendid business man. Both Andrew and his father were tailors. The father came to this country, bringing his family, when Andrew was fourteen years old. They located in Merryall, and in 1849 Andrew began for himself in what is now Wyalusing borough. He erected a shop and began a business career here, which ended only with his death. His shop stood on Main street, where he erected the store as it now stands, and there he conducted the merchant tailor business until 1863, when he was appointed revenue-assessor, and held that office until its abolition. In 1852, upon the resignation of Maj. John Taylor, he was commissioned
801 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
postmaster. He was connected with this office, almost continuously, until his death. This sad event occurred suddenly, while he was at work in his office, March 3, 1885, and was caused by heart disease. He changed the last mail under Arthur’s administration, and then suddenly passed over the dark river; he was a diligent Bible student, reading it through in course. Intensely Presbyterian in his religious views, though not a communicant, no one was more active in their support, being a habitual attendant, a liberal contributor, both in church and all other benevolent enterprises; in business he was scrupulously honest and very methodical, and his death left a void in the community that no other can fill. He was a Mason, in regular standing with the Towanda Lodge, A. Y. M. He was also a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at LeRaysville; was originally a Whig and afterward a Republican, and active politician and of large influence in his vicinity. He was united in wedlock, September 26, 1854, with Deborah A. Morrow, a sister of the late Judge Morrow, she being the fifth of the children. This union was blessed with seven children, viz.: Edward W., postal clerk at Milo, Iowa; Emma L., married to Charles D. Lyon, editor and postmaster at Milo, Iowa; Sallie M., married to Charles L. DeGroff, a merchant of Madilla, Neb.; Mary, a most successful teacher of instrumental music at Milo, Iowa; Margaret, a student in the Women’s Medical College of Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia; Eleanor W., married to Charles W. Coburn, of Jefferson Medical College, and Hattie, who died in infancy. After he husband’s death, Mrs. Fee took charge of his estate, and showed her good business qualities by increasing the competence left her, besides rearing and educating her family. The family homestead is beautifully situated in Wyalusing. Mr. Fee embarked in independent life when twenty-three years old, without other capital that an honest purpose to accomplish a good work, to acquire good name, and to owe no one ought but true manly esteem, and his prosperity shows, better than any words, his wonderful success. The family are esteemed members of the Presbyterian Church.
MARTIN FEE, carpenter and builder, Camptown, was born in Ballybay, County Monaghan, Ireland, January 9, 1836, son of Michael and Margaret (Martin) Fee, who were natives of County Monaghan, where his father was born June 24, 1798, and his mother in September, 1795. Martin Fee’s ancestors, both on his father’s and mother’s side, emigrated from Scotland to Ireland, in early troublous times. They were Presbyterians, and suffered much for the truth’s sake. His paternal grandmother was a Jackson, and an aunt of Gen. Andrew Jackson, seventh President of the United States. Martin Fee, therefore, is Scotch-Irish, and descended from a people who have stood up for the truth, and battled for liberty. His parents and family, with the exception of one child, came to America in 1840, and settled in Bradford county; his father was a merchant tailor, and located in Merryall, where he followed his trade until about 1852, when he purchased a farm, and was engaged in farming until a few years before his death, which occurred October 17, 1876; his mother died March 15, 1854. His parents had the following children; mary, married to John Nesbit, farmer, of Herrick; Andrew (see sketch); John
802 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
(deceased), who was a blacksmith; James (deceased), was a tailor; Richard, now a farmer residing in Nebraska, and Martin. Our subject during his early life, had the advantages of a common-school education, and after reaching his majority attended the Collegiate Institute of Towanda for several terms; soon after reaching his majority he began teaching, and followed that avocation several years, and attended school during vacation. In 1857 he began learning the carpenter’s and joiner’s trade with Steward Bosworth, with whom he remained three years, and then began contracting for himself, and has combined that business with farming, and followed the same to the present time. His building has been largely in Wyalusing, Herrick and Tuscarora; but he has done work in Wilkes-Barre, Towanda and Sayre; he has a beautiful location, where he lives, on a farm of thirty acres.
He married, July 4, 1864, Martha L. Jones, a daughter of Thomas Jones, who was a Welshman, and a prominent farmer of Herrick. Her mother was of English origin. They have a family consisting of the following children: Rosa, born September 22, 1865, now preceptress and teacher in the Collegiate Institute of Towanda; Seth H., born October 31, 1867, now a clerk in a store, located in Tekamah, Neb.; Grant, born May 16, 1869, a carpenter and joiner, and foreman on building in San Francisco, Cal.; Elam K., born October 1, 1871; Emma J., born August 10, 1878, died November 27, 1881. Mr. Fee is a member of the Presbyterian Church of Camptown; a member of the P. of I., Avery Association No. 3277; politically he was a Republican until 1882, when he espoused the cause of the Prohibition party and has since been identified with it.
ULYSSES M. FELL, miller, Homet’s Ferry, was born in that town November 28, 1860, the youngest in the family of ten children of Samuel D. and Elizabeth (Kings) Fell, natives of Pennsylvania. Two of his brothers were in the war for the Union, Joseph G. as a member of Company C, One Hundred and Forty-First Regiment, P. V. I.; he served as sergeant-major, was three years in the service, and lost his life at the battle of Gettysburg; George W. was in the same company and regiment, and was in service to the time of Lee’s surrender. Mr. Fell owns the flowering mills at Homet’s Ferry, where he is conducting an extensive milling and shipping business; also owns and manages the ferry at that place. Ulysses M. Fell was united in matrimony, January 5, 1887, with Lou J., daughter of Andrew J. and Anna (Wells) Elliott, natives of Pennsylvania, all of English ancestry. Mr. Fell is a Republican, and takes an active interest in public matters.
OLIVER D. FIELD, postmaster, Covert, was born in Delhi, N. Y., August 11, 1826, and is a son of Abiezer and Hannah (Wilber) Field, natives of Taunton, Mass., who settled in Armenia township, this county, in 1836, and cleared and improved the farm now owned by David Burman and Harry Covert, where his father resided until his death. He was a nephew of Gen. Benjamin Lincoln, of Revolutionary fame, and his wife, Hannah (Wilber), was a grand-niece of the same general, and a direst descendant of the "Mayflower Pilgrims." Abiezer Field had eleven children, nine of whom grew to maturity, as
803 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
follows: Abiezer, Jr., Christopher, Loretta (Mrs. Nathan Truman), Calista (Mrs. James Lyon), Phineas, Oritha (Mrs. Harry Covert), Adeline (Mrs. John Youmans), Oliver D. and George. Oliver D. Field was reared in Armenia township from ten years of age. Since attaining his majority he has always been a tax payer in the township, though for ten years he was a resident of the State of New York. He was in the Civil War, having enlisted April 27, 1862, in Company C, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and served three years, when he was honorably discharged as sergeant of the company. Mr. Field has been twice married, first time to Agnes F., daughter of Timothy and Nancy (Wilson) Randall, of Armenia township, and by her he had seven children: Emma J. (Mrs. S. L. Sherman), Agnes (Mrs. George Vanness), Mary (Mrs. Frank harding), Hannah (Mrs. Abner D. Randall), Adeline, Burdette and Wilson. His second marriage was with Mrs. Volucia (Randall) Rogers, sister of his first wife. Mr. Field has been an ordained minister of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, thirty years. In politics he is a Republican, has served one term as auditor of Bradford, and has been postmaster of Covert since May, 1891.
IRA FINCH, of Windham township, farmer and stock-grower, P. O. Windham. This is one of the leading farmers in Windham township, where he was born December 13, 1839 and is a son of James and Lucia (Johnson) Finch, natives of New York and Connecticut, respectively. James, whose parents were Celey and Roxanna (Mead) Fitch, was a farmer and mill owner, who came to Bradford in 1835 and located in Windham township, as was soon known as a leading, enterprising citizen, and by his industry and thrift became the owner of 400 acres of highly improved land, on which he was residing at the time of his death, which occurred in the year 1876. His good wife, the mother of his children, was tenderly laid by his side in the year 1883; she was daughter of Parley and Lucia (Webster) Johnson. To them were born seven children, five of whom survive. They were as follows: Adleia, who died in infancy; Lucia, a school teacher, died in her sixteenth year, in Windham; Harriet, who was also a teacher, married Mr. Vaness of New York; Ira, our subject; Porter, who is practicing law in Humboldt, Iowa; John, a farmer in Windham, and George, also a farmer in Windham, and a practical surveyor for many years. The subject of this sketch grew to manhood on the old family homestead, receiving the rudiments of a good English education in the district schools, and commenced life on his own account as a farmer and raiser of improved domestic animals. He received more than the average school advantages by attending the academy of Reelsville and Owego, and learned the art and science of practical surveyor. After the death of his parents he purchased the interest of the other heirs in the real estate, and has added thereto, and in every respect greatly improved the same, and it is now one of the most valuable homesteads in the township. When a young man he taught school several winter term, and at the same time read law, and afterwards entered a law office and regularly pursued that study, and was admitted to practice. He intended to go West and engage in the practice of law with his brother Parley, who had also been admitted, but the parents pleaded for at least
804 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
one of the two to remain at the old home and this lot fell to Ira, which permanently fixed him on the old homestead, while his brother went to Humboldt, Iowa, and engaged in the law practice, and has met with brilliant and very flattering success. Mr. Ira Finch is a Mason who passed the chairs of the Lodge, and has been representative to the Grand Lodge, New York, on two occasions, 1884 and 1885. His home lodge is at Nichols, N. Y. He is a member of the Democratic party, a gentleman of much culture and well read in the best literature of his time; was at one time the Democratic nominee for prothonotary of the county, and was only defeated by the large party majority arrayed against him. Yet he has never been a politician, and votes as he believes to be the best interests for himself and his fellow citizens. He has fulfilled the offices of election commissioner, member of the Board of Elections, and is justice of the peace. But his especial pride is in his farm and its splendid herd of Jerseys, Alderneys and Shorthorns, also Southdown sheep, and thoroughbred horses, both roadsters and draught horses. The family rank among the very first in the county, have a wide circle of acquaintances and hosts of friends.
E. G. FITCH & CO., furniture manufacturers, Athens. E. G. Fitch is a native of Delaware county, N. Y., and was born April 28, 1843, a son of Cyrus and Evaline (Eells) Fitch, natives of New Caanan, Conn., who removed to New York when quite young. Cyrus Fitch was a farmer, and died in Athens in January, 1886; Evaline Fitch is the youngest in a family of nine children. In 1870 he engaged in the hardware business of Fitch & Kinney, present firm. In 1885 he erected buildings and began the manufacture of furniture. He was married in Delaware county, N.Y., December 27, 1866, to Miss Emma J., daughter of John P. and Polly (Wakeman) St. John, natives of Delaware county, N. Y. Mrs. Fitch is the elder of two children. To this union have been born three daughters, viz.: Florence E., Cora S. and Eunice C. They are members of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. Fitch enlisted in the army, August 12, 1862, in Company B, One Hundred and Forty-fourth, N. Y. V. I., and served until the close of the war. He is a member of the G. A. R., Perkins Post, No. 202, and is a Republican. He is one of the prominent leading and public-spirited citizens of Athens. An account of his factory will be found on page 425.
CORNELIUS FITZGERALD, farmer, of Terry township, P. O. Marsh View, was born in County Limerick, Ireland, March 4, 1804, and is a son of John Fitzgerald, a farmer, who by reason of high rent and landlord oppression was forced to send some of his family to the "land of the free and the home of the brave;" he reared a family of thirteen children, seven of whom grew to maturity. Cornelius being the eldest came with some of the younger members of the family to this country, landing at Castle Garden, New York, in 1835. Mr Fitzgerald worked on public works several years, each year adding to what he had saved the previous year. In 1837 he married Miss Margaret Henchley, a native of Limerick, with whom he had been acquainted in their native country; by this marriage there were born to them eight children, five of whom grew to maturity, but two only
805 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
survive, Thomas and Mary. Thomas married Miss Mary Burke, by whom he had six children: John, Nellie, Maggie, Cornelius, Martin, and Mary; Mary was married to James Burke, a brother of Thomas’ wife, and they had five children: John, Cornelius, Maggie, Nellie and James. In 1840 Mr. Fitzgerald removed to Terry township, where he purchased 100 acres of land on which he built a house; in those days there was game in abundance; their nearest point to a mill was Frenchtown or Monroeton, five or eight miles distant, respectively. He labored hard to improve his farm, and succeeded, for in twenty years after his settlement on his first 100 acres he bought 200 more, all of which he now owns. He is a farmer on a large scale; his son Thomas is the head farmer and takes the chief management of affairs; he lives with his father. The principal business is stock raising and dairying, as well as mixed farming. Both he and his son are Democrats, and members of the Catholic Church.
DANIEL FLEISHER, principal of the public schools, Troy, was born near Newport, Perry Co., Pa., September 22, 1852, a son of Jacob and Mary (Clouser) Fleisher. His paternal grandfather was George, son of John Fleisher, of German descent, and all were farmers of Perry Co., Pa. Our subject was reared in his native county, educated in the public schools, Bloomfield Academy and Lafayette and Pennsylvania colleges, and was graduated from the latter, at Gettysburg, in 1880, and also graduated in a special course in 1888, receiving Ph. D. degree by examination in same college. In 1880 he organized a select school in Newport, Pa., known as Newport Academy, which he taught four years, and in 1884 was elected principal of the Troy graded school. His career as a teacher began when he was eighteen years of age, when he taught two years in the public schools of Plymouth, Pa., one year as principal of the public school of Liverpool, and was assistant in the Bloomfield Academy one and one-half years. Prof. Fleisher married, May 10, 1881, Mrs. Anna (Power) Fleisher, of Landisburg, Pa., a daughter of William Power. He is a member of the Lutheran Church; is a Royal Arch mason, and politically he is a Republican.
DAVID T. FLEMING, farmer, P. O. Herrick, was born in County Donegal, Ireland, in 1837. His father, John Fleming, who was born in the same place, married Mary Taylor, and they had six children, viz.: Mary, first wife of R. Warnock; Margaret, wife of S. Best; David T.; Isabel, second wife of R. Warnock; Fannie, wife of C. Kyle, and John, a machinist in Washington, D. C. The father came to this country in 1848, and worked on a farm one year, when he died from the effects of a sun stroke; his widow survived him eleven years, dying in 1865. David T. Fleming was educated in Ireland, and came to this country in his twentieth year. He worked one year with Daniel Durand, then went to Wilmot township, and worked three years, then, in 1862, he purchased from George C. Atwood 105 acres of land, of which, in 1865, he sold fifty acres to J. H. Hurst, and same year he purchased from Stewart Harris sixty-six acres adjoining his other property. He erected his present house in
806 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
1879-80, and 1886, and erected his barn in 1883. He has always been a successful man; was a member of Herrick Grange, is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics is independent. He married in 1868, Margaret Jane Taylor, eldest in the family of nine children of William and Mary (McDougal) Taylor; and they have had four children: Mary, who died in her fourteenth year; Fannie Elizabeth, a school teacher, Anabel and William (latter deceased). This is one of the highly respected families of Bradford county.
B. FRANK FLETCHER, farmer, of East Smithfield township, P. O. Hoblet, was born January 20, 1847, a son of Stephen F. and Rhoda (Scouten) Fletcher, natives of this county. His grandfather was one of the pioneers of Smithfield. Our subject, who is one of a family of eight children - six boys and two girls - was reared on the farm and educated in the schools of the township. He was married September 21, 1876, to Juliaett Rumsey, of Tioga county, Pa., born August 8, 1847, and there have been born to them three children, as follows: Velma M., born April 23, 1881; E. Pearl, born August 4, 1882, and Maud, born June 11, 1884. Mr. Fletcher has accumulated a nice property by industry and economy, and is now the owner of a fine farm of eighty acres under a good state of cultivation; his principal interests are dairying and stock raising. He is a Republican in politics, and takes interest in the affairs of the town and county. Mrs. Fletcher had three brothers in the Civil War: Sobrine K., Horace K., and Artemus, all of whom saw a good deal of hard service.
JOHN. P. FLETCHER, postmaster, Troy, was born in Smithfield township, this county, June 9, 1843, a son of Stephen F. and Rhoda (Scouten) Fletcher. His paternal grandfather, Jabez Fletcher, whose parents came to this county from England, was born in East Haddam, Mass., in 1783, and in 1811 moved to East Smithfield, this county, where he cleared and improved a farm, and resided until his death, which occurred in April, 1847, when he was aged sixty-four years; his wife was Naomi Pettibone, by whom he had eight children: David, Jacob, Stephen, John, James, Sylvia (Mrs. Uriah Williams), Almira (Mrs. Abram Kniffin) and Charlotte (Mrs. Abram Eastman). The father of the subject of these lines was born in Smithfield township in 1816, and still resides there, where he cleared and improved a farm; his wife was a daughter of Abram Scouten, of Delaware, and by her he had ten children: John P., Scouten, B. Franklin, Jabez G., Alfred E., David C., Charles, Viola (Mrs. Madison Sargeant), Elizabeth (Mrs. S. Ross) and Ella. Our subject was reared in Smithfield township, receiving a common-school education, and in 1866 he embarked in the grocery business in Hornellville, N. Y., in which he continued there until 1867, when he removed to Troy, Pa., where he served in the capacity of clerk in a dry-good store until April, 1890, when he was appointed postmaster at Troy, which position he now holds. Mr. Fletcher married, in October, 1871, Polly, daughter of Guernsey and Jane Blakeslee, of Troy township, and by her he has three children: Cora B., Grace B. and John G. He is a member of the Methodist
807 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
Episcopal Church, and socially is a Sir Knight Templar. In politics Mr. Fletcher has always been an active Republican, and has frequently been honored with public positions of trust. Since living in Troy, this county, he has held the honorable position of school director for the borough of Troy for four years, and was treasurer of the Troy School Board three years. In 1888 he was chosen by the county convention a delegate from western Bradford to the Republican State Convention held at Harrisburg. In 1890 he was appointed postmaster at Troy borough, and has proved himself to be an honest and efficient officer. All these positions of honor and trust have come to Mr. Fletcher by merit, and he has ever been an honest, enthusiastic, hard worker for his party’s interests. Any success he may have attained through life is due to his own personal efforts, and his success is deservedly earned.
WILLIAM H. FLORY, foreman of the erecting department, L.V. R. R. machine shops, is a native of Northampton county, Pa., born February 23, 1849, a son of Jacob and Margaret (Eyer) Flory, natives of Northampton county, Pa. The father was a mechanic and died in Scranton in 1882, in his sixty-fourth year; the mother is now a resident of Sayre and is in her seventy-third year. William H. Flory, who is the fourth, in order of birth, in a family of eight children, was reared in Williamsburg, Northampton county, until he was seven years of age when the family removed to Scranton, where he received his education in the public schools of Scranton, and then clerked in a store several years. In 1866 he began an apprenticeship at the machinist trade at the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Shops, Scranton, where he worked until 1872, and then went to Susquehanna and worked in the machine shops there until September 1880, when he came to Sayre and took charge of the link-motion gang, and was promoted to his present position in July, 1889. Mr. Flory was married in Scranton, January, 4, 1871, to Miss Mary M., daughter of John and Maria (Mans) Paul, natives of Lorraine, France; she was born May 30, 1848. To Mr. and Mrs. Flory were born four children, one of whom died in infancy, the others were: Burton P., Lula M. (deceased) and Jennie G. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the Patriotic Sons of America, Iron Hall and Royal Arcanum. He is a Republican, and has served three years as school director in the independent district, and is also a member of the borough council of the school board.
THOMAS F. FOLEY, deputy sheriff, Towanda, was born in Athens (old Tioga Point), this county, February 4, 1868, and is a son of Patrick M. and Catherine (Doran) Foley, the former of whom was a native of County Waterford, Ireland, and in early life came to America, settling in Athens, where he followed carpentering until his death, which occurred March 16, 1870; his wife was a native of Athens, and a daughter of John Doran, who was among the early pioneers of Athens, coming from Ireland. Patrick M. Foley reared a family of seven sons and one daughter, as follows: Maurice (a contractor), John, William, Michael (a Catholic priest in the Pittsburgh diocese), Matthew, Patrick, Thomas F. and Mary. Of these Thomas F. was reared in
808 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
Athens and was educated in the public schools, where he graduated, taking the first prize in the speaking contest, February 24, 1885, and in the county contest again took the first prize, in 1886. In 1888 he entered the office of H. F. Maynard as a law student, and continued as such until his appointment as deputy sheriff of Bradford county, January 5, 1891, which official position he now fills, and his personal popularity, although one of the youngest men holding such an office, has caused him to be one of the popular county officials; he is a staunch Democrat.
JAMES A. FOLLETT, Windham township, P. O. Nichols, N. Y., a leading farmer of Windham township, was born in Pittstown, Rensselear Co., N. Y., October 9, 1823; his parents, William and Maria (Hunt) Follett, were natives of New York, of English descent, and were agriculturists; his father is still active and vigorous, and at the green old age of ninety-four years, living in Cayuga county, N. Y.; his mother died in 1886, at the age of eighty-eight. James, who was the second in their family of nine children, grew to manhood in his native county, learned the photographer’s art, and followed same about twelve years, at first traveling, and then opened a gallery in Owego, which he conducted for eight years, but owing to a difficulty of the eyes, he abandoned that business and commenced farming in this county, in 1883, and is now the owner of a fine farm of 105 acres, well improved. In 1850, he married in warren township, Eliza, daughter of Nehemiah and Sarah (Williams) Coburn, natives of New York. They have one child, Adelbert, an employee in the asylum at Binghamton. Politically, Mr. Follett is in sympathy with the Republican party.
ANDREW D. FORBES, miller, Wysox, was born in Sheshequin, March 2, 1841, a son of William and Rosina (Forbes) Forbes, natives of Pennsylvania and of German origin. His grandfather was Arnest Forbes, and his great-grandfather was John C. Forbes, from whom descended the American branch. John C. Forbes, when a boy, was induced to go on board a vessel, under the supposition that it would land a short distance away on the German coast, but it carried him to America, where he landed about 1777, by which disposition he was deprived of his inheritance, but would not return, and being very eccentric he seldom said much concerning his family and experience. Andrew D. Forbes, the subject of this sketch, spend his boyhood on the farm and attended the common schools; at nineteen he apprenticed himself to R. S. Barnes, of Rome, to learn the miller’s trade. On June 7, 1863, he enlisted at Harrisburg in the "Luzerne Rangers," an independent division. Having the typhoid fever while in the army he was in no engagements, and was discharged at the expiration of his time, August 27, 1863. From 1864 to 1867 he worked at his trade at Monroe, and soon after re-engaged with R. S. Barnes, with whom he remained ten years; then was in Dayton’s mills, Towanda, two and one-half years. He purchased his present place of business in 1883, and has one of the finest water-powers in Bradford county, the Hungarian process of grinding being used, to which he will add the roller process, present season. Besides his manufacturing interests he has a large wholesale and retail trade in flour, feed, grain, etc. Mr. Forbes
809 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
was married December 24, 1864, to Mervil, daughter of John and Jerusha (Miles) Cannan, natives of Pennsylvania, and two children have been born to them: Fred W., born February 4, 1868, died March 15, 1888, and Stella, born November 18, 1875. Mr. Forbes is a member of the F. & A. M. and of the G. A. R. Post at Rome; in politics he is a Republican.
FREDERICK FOSTER, farmer, of Towanda township, P. O. North Towanda, was born in North Towanda township, this county, April 2, 1846, and is a son of William H. and Matilda (Alloway) Foster. His great-grandfather, Isaac Foster, with two sons, Abial and Rufus, came to what is now Towanda in 1784, taking up 100 acres of land. Isaac cleared a part of it, but being a mechanic gave more attention to manufacturing spinning wheels than to tilling the soil. Abial and Rufus took up 100 acres of land each, but added afterwards to the original grant. Abial, the paternal grandfather of Frederick Foster, settled on the farm now owned by Frederick and E. H. Horton. He was a stirring businessman; besides attending to his farming he erected a sawmill on the site of "Myers’ Mills," and later the first gristmill on Sugar creek, and was also interested in mills near the Pail Factory. He did an extensive business in lumbering, milling and farming in his younger days, but in his later life gave his entire attention to farming. His wife was Mary Means, by whom he had children as follows: Betsey (Mrs. Major Gerould); Samuel B.; Sarah B.; Nancy (Mrs. Judson Gerould); Electa (Mrs. Wheelock Bingham); Polly (Mrs. Elijah H. Horton); Alenda (Mrs. Owen Campbell); William H. and Jane (Mrs. George Upright). Of these William H., the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in North Towanda where he spent his life in farming; he died suddenly in 1879, at the age of sixty-four years; his children were as follows: Celinda (Mrs. James Foster), Frederick; Helen (Mrs. David Lindley); Jeanette (Mrs. Charles Cash); Irene (Mrs. Charles Havens). Frederick was reared in his native township, received a common school education, and has always followed farming. He was married, January 18, 1871, to Emma, daughter of David and Sally (Rundell) Newell, of Sheshequin township, by whom he had six children: Harry (deceased), Lula, Hattie, James (deceased), Eva and Nettie C. Mrs. Foster is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and in politics is a Republican.
GEORGE H. FOX, farmer, P. O. Towanda, was born in Towanda, this county, March 2, 1840, and is a lineal descendant of the notable first settler in Bradford county, Rudolph Fox, who was of the Palatines, and came down from their settlement in New York, in company with one, Peter Shuefelt. Mr. Fox settled at the mouth of Towanda creek, and Shuefelt followed on down the river. The experiences of Rudolph Fox and his family in their struggles for life in the wilderness - braving disease, the wild woods, the wild beasts, the men and the invading armies in their pitiless marauds along this beautiful valley - - is one of the unwritten stories, in its simple recital, that exceeds fiction. This pioneer, Rudolph Fox, was the great-grandfather of George H., whose parents were John M. and Elvira A. Fox; the latter, the daughter of Samuel and Lucretia (Wooster) Beard, of Connecticut. John M. Fox
810 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
was born on the old family homestead farm, now owned and possessed by his son George, the only surviving son of the family; his brother Charles was born October 16, 1837, and died at the age of eighteen. This noted old homestead was once known as a part of " Fox Chase;" it comprises 200 acres and is one of the valuable farms in the county, and its present proprietor, George H. Fox, is not only the largest raiser of tobacco, but is really the father of that important industry in the valley. He is a Republican, and has the entire respect of all Bradford county people as a leading, representative and public spirited citizen.
JOHN A. FOX, of Towanda township, P. O. Rienzi, is a descendant of the first permanent white settler in what is now Bradford county. There is much said in the general history of the first settlers in this volume, and to this the reader is referred, and there is no family name in the county that is in itself more replete with the story of the trials and sufferings, as well as the endurance and heroism, of the advance pioneers, than that of the Fox family. They were of the Palatines, who came to New York, from there to the upper Delaware river, followed the streams and, crossing the portages, finally looked upon this beautiful land of the Susquehanna. John A. Fox is a son of William and Ellen (Barnwell) Fox, who reside on their farm in Terry township, and who reared a family of five children, as follows: John A., Richard, Mary, William, Jr., and Ellen. The subject of this sketch, who, it will be seem is the eldest, was reared in Wyalusing, attended the common schools, was a student in the Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, and then in Lafayette College. Since attaining his majority he has been engaged in the hay, grain and produce trade, and has met with well-merited success. He is at present assessor of Terry township, secretary of the school board, and secretary and treasurer of the County School Directors Association. He is the patentee of some valuable inventions in mechanism. At the general election of 1890 he was an Independent candidate for county commissioner, and was announced as such only toward the end of the campaign, and with his name on none of the regular party organization tickets, yet was defeated only by a small majority, and this in the face of the fact that at some of the polls it was not shown that he was a candidate. Politically, he is an outspoken Democrat.
WILLIAM FOYLE, a prominent member of the Bradford county bar, was born in Herrick township, this county, August 31, 1847, a son of John and Mary (Fogarty) Foyle, natives of Kilkenny, Ireland, who came to America in 1832, locating in Maine one and a half years, and later resided in New York six years, where his father was engaged in the construction of the Croton Water-works. About 1840 they settled in Herrick township, this county, and engaged in farming; both parents were born in 1808, and both died in 1878, the father in November and the mother in December. William Foyle was reared in his native county, and educated at Susquehanna Collegiate Institute, Towanda, and St. Bonaventure’s College, Allegany, Cattaraugus Co., N. Y. He read law with Elhanan Smith and William and Benjamin M. Peck; was admitted to the bar March 16, 1870, and has been in active practice since. He married, September, 10, 1872, Ella, daughter
811 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
of Thomas and Isabell (Lackey) Fitzgerald, of Wyalusing, Pa., and has two children, William T. and Charles E. Mr. Foyle was a law partner of T. McPherson, Esq., and also of the late H. W. Patrick. He has been concerned in some of the heaviest litigation in the courts during his practice at the Bradford county bar. He taught in the public schools before his admission to the bar. Mr. Foyle has been engaged in no other business but the practice of his profession.
GEORGE W. FRANKLIN, proprietor of the Franklin Blue Stone Quarries, P. O. Quarry Glen, was born in Philadelphia, February 3, 1866, and is a son of John J. and Julia (Heppard) Franklin, also natives of Philadelphia, the former a lineal descendant of Benjamin Franklin; his father was an attorney. George W. Franklin was educated in the ward schools of Philadelphia, and, quitting the school room at the age of fourteen years, he entered upon his business career, first as a journeyman in a cloth house, then commenced to travel when only fifteen years old, for his father, selling artificial stone. The firm was known as the Franklin Artificial Stone Company, but their plant being destroyed by fire, young Franklin then entered the employment of John A. Jackson & J. C. Blair, paper manufacturers, of Philadelphia, as traveling salesman, and remained with them about five years, when he accepted a position as traveling salesman for George F. Brown, paper manufacturer, New York City, remaining with him until 1889, when he commenced operating the Blue Stone Quarries in Sheshequin township, this county. His line of travel was from Boston to Omaha, throughout twenty-two States. His father owns the farm on which the quarry is located, and leases the quarry to the Franklin Blue Stone Company, which consists of George W. Franklin and J. D. Morris, only. Mr. Franklin is a member of the I. O. O. F., Lodge No. 15, Philadelphia, and politically is a Republican.
JOHN FRAWLEY, farmer, P. O. Overton. This gentleman, who is one of the prominent farmer citizens of Overton township, was born in Ireland, a son of James and Bridget (Sullivan) Frawley, of County Limerick; the family came to America in 1840; the father was born in 1844, and has worked his way in life successfully, with no other aids than what nature gave him, added to the worthy precepts and examples of his poor but eminently respectable parents. He is the possessor of a valuable farm of 140 acres in Overton township. He was married in Elmira, N. Y., to Mary, daughter of John and Margaret (Wolf) Pickley, also natives of Limerick, Ireland, and to this union the following children were born: Thomas E., Timothy H., Margaret E., John F., Mary A., Catherine J., Annie T. and Joseph D. The family worship at the Catholic Church, of which they are faithful adherents. As a family they bear the love and respect of a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr. Frawley has filled the offices of school director and road commissioner, and has a warm place in his heart for the Democratic party.
J. W. FRAZER was born June 3, 1846, a son of Hugh S. and Caroline (Scovill) Frazer. He was born and raised on a farm and educated in the common schools and academies of Wyalusing and
812 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
Camptown. On reaching his majority he began life for himself, and located in Scranton, where he entered the employ of a sewing machine company, and was with them about one year; then engaged in the sewing machine business on his own account, and has followed that calling ever since, doing business both in Elmira and Williamsport. He finally returned to Wyalusing and located on his farm, with one-half mile of his boyhood’s home. He was untied in marriage June 3, 1869, with Amelia S., daughter of Christian and Deborah A. (Vancise) Bartholomew, the youngest in a family of three children. This union has been blessed with one child, Lena V. Mr. Frazer is still engaged in the sewing machine business, and is proprietor of the Mountain Village Summer Resort, which he has built on his place since his return, and which is beautifully located about three miles from Wyalusing, in the midst of grand scenery and the finest fishing in the State. It is crowded with guests during the season, everyone speaking in high praise of their host and hostess. Mr. Frazer is a Republican and an active politician.
N. S. FRAZER, farmer and stock grower, Wyalusing, was born in Wyalusing, Bradford Co., Pa., January 6, 1843, a son of H. S. and Caroline (Scovill) Frazer, the former of whom died in 1889; aged eighty-two years, and the latter in 1883, aged seventy-seven years. H. S. Frazer was born in Clearfield county, Pa., came to Bradford in 1833, and entered mercantile business near Homet’s Ferry; after several years he removed to where N. S. Frazer now resides and began farming, where he remained until his death. Mr. and Mrs. H. S. Frazer had a family of five children, viz.: Jennie (married to William Chamberlain, a farmer of Wyalusing); Sarah (married to A. B. Smith, a farmer of Southport, N. Y.); N. S. Frazer, the subject of this sketch, was born and reared on the farm where he now resides, and was educated in the common schools and at the Collegiate Institute of Towanda; he graduated when twenty-one and entered the law office of Mercur & Morrow where he read law. When ready for admission to the bar he was called home by the failing health of his parents, and, sacrificing his ambition for their comfort, gave up his career in law and took charge of the old homestead, and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits to the present. In 1884 he opened a summer resort which was very popular; after about four years the building was burned, but he rebuilt much larger and better, and in 1890 the beautiful place was filled with people from the large cities seeking rest and pleasant scenery; in March, 1891, however, the building, together with the large barn and all the out-buildings were entirely consumed by fire, with all the contents; within two years he has twice lost everything to fire, yet, with unflagging energy, he pursues his way toward success in preparing to rebuild for the third time. Mr. Frazer was united in wedlock, July 3, 1883, with Lizzie Benjamin, daughter of Dr. Benjamin, of Dunshore, and this union has been blessed with one child, Carrie. Mr. Frazer is a Republican in politics, and has held
813 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
the office of justice of peace many years, besides many other township offices.
WALTER H. FRENCH, United States Claim Agent, and notary public, Athens, is a native of Sheshequin, this county, born May 19, 1847, son of Walter and Sarah (Rogers) French, natives of this county; the father was a farmer and died in Sheshequin in August, 1890, aged seventy-seven years; the mother died in 1864 in her fifty-third year. Walter H. French who is the sixth in a family of ten children, remained on the farm with his father until he was fifteen, when, responding to the call of his country, he enlisted, September 19, 1862, in Company D, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, under Gen. Sheridan’s command. He was wounded in his forty-seventh regular engagement, at Front Royal, Va., August 16, 1864, and about sundown that evening his leg was taken off by a shell and his horse killed at the same time. He was put in an ambulance and taken to Winchester, a distance of seventeen miles, where he was captured the next morning, August 17, and was re-captured at Winchester, September 19, 1864, and put in a lumber wagon and taken to Martinsburg and from there by rail to Baltimore, to the hospital, where he remained three months. He was then taken to the hospital in York, Pa., where he was kept three weeks, and then taken to the hospital and school, corner of Sixteenth and Filbert streets, Philadelphia, which he attended as a soldier three years, when he obtained the position of book-keeper in a store in Philadelphia. Remaining there six months, he returned home and taught school three years. He was first married in Sheshequin, in 1872, to Miss Henrietta, daughter of Louis and Nancy (Holcomb) Russell, natives of this county (she was second in a family of three children). To this union were born two children: Eugene (deceased) and Howard E. Mrs. Henrietta French died in 1881, and in 1887 Mr. French married, in Athens, Miss Gertrude H., daughter of Andrew Y. and Milly (Drake) VanSice, natives of this county (she is the third in a family of four children, and was born in Rome township in 1862). To Mr. and Mrs. French was born one son, Andrew. Mr. French has been recognized as a claim agent by the Government since 1875, although not practicing until the spring of 1890; was appointed notary public in June, 1890; he is commander of the Perkins Post, No. 202, G. A. R., and also a member of the Union Veteran League, No. 28, and the Union Veteran Union of Sayre. He was in Sheridan’s famous ride from Culpeper to Richmond, and from there to Yorktown, the distance of 160 miles being ridden in forty-eight hours. Mr. French is a Republican, and constable and collector in Sheshequin township from 1872 to 1875. The account of his war experience, at the time he lost his leg, is so thrilling, that we here give it in his own language: "When I was recaptured at Winchester, September 19, 1864, the hospital I was in was located on Main street, through which the rebels ran, after being routed by the Union Army. Sheridan shelled them as they were running through the town, three cannon balls passing through the hospital, one within a foot of my head, which knocked me senseless for a time, passing through another room where another wounded soldier lay, cutting his bunk and even the sheet in two, and throwing him out
814 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
on the floor, without seriously injuring him. My company stopped when passing through the town after the rebels, and Amos Congdon, a member of my company, went out and brought the shell in that passed so close to my head."
ABRAHAM FRIES, farmer, P. O. Columbia Cross Roads, was born in Wells township, this county, August 28, 1841, a son of James and Sophia (Besley) Fries; his paternal grandparents, James and Margaret (Cool) Fries, formally of New Jersey and of Presbyterian stock, settled in Wells township, this county, in 1837, partially cleared and improved a farm and died there; their children were Anna (Mrs. Dennis Lewis), Margaret (Mrs. Renselear Wolfe), Elizabeth, Jacob, James, Mary J. (Mrs. Bassett), Martin, David (on the old homestead) and Lydia (Mrs. Bascom Taylor). Of these James partially cleared a farm in Wells township, and died there; his wife was the daughter of Oliver and Sophia (Westbrook) Besley, pioneers of Columbia township, and by her he had one son, Abraham. The subject of this memoir was reared on a farm in Columbia township, from seven years of age, by his uncle, Jacob Fries, who cleared several farms in Columbia township, where he resided about forty-five years. He is a member of the Baptist Church and in politics is a Democrat. Abraham Fries has always been engaged in farming and is one of the representative agriculturists of the township. He married, in 1862, Margaret, daughter of Peter and Barbara (Gernert) McClelland, of Columbia township, by whom he has two children; Katie (Mrs. Ransom Cornell), Cora Blanche. Politically Mr. Fries is a Democrat.
ADDISON C. FRISBIE, farmer and stock grower, Orwell, was born October 20, 1829, on the farm he now occupies, son of Zebulon Frisbie, who was born in Connecticut, and immigrated to Bradford county, locating where A. C. Frisbie resides. He was the first to open a tanyard in this section; he was a man of splendid physique, of pleasing and engaging manners, making many friends, and at the time of his death he owned about 212 acres. Zebulon Frisbie was the youngest in the family, and learned his father’s trade of tanner, and with his brother, Chauncy, succeeded to his father’s business, which they finally sold, and engaged in farming. He was married December 4, 1828, to Polly Goodwin, a daughter of Warren Goodwin, of Connecticut, and had the following children: Addison C. (born October 20, 1829), Warren R. (born August 31, 1831, died September 15, 1856), William L. (born March 26, 1834), Chauncy M. (born November 29, 1839), Ruby H. (born June 15, 1843, married to Edward Boardman), Orin G. (born June 8, 1845, died December 5, 1847), Emily P. (born October 1, 1847, died February 20, 1849), Mary E. (born October 6, 1849), Olin G. (born February 20, 1852). The father was a member of the Presbyterian Church and an elder. Politically he was a Whig and Republican, and was a justice of the peace many years, also associate Judge, and stood high as an official. He died August 29, 1881, and his loss was sorely felt in all sections of the county. Addison C. Frisbie passed his boyhood on his father’s farm, receiving an academical education, and when seventeen