History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
Biographical Sketches pp. 835-844
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send
Them In For Inclusion
Joyce's Search Tip - December 2007 -
Do You Know that you can search just this
Bradsby book by using the Bradsby button in the Partitioned search
engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page?
1819, and was reared in Columbia township, where he now resides, engaged
in farming; his wife was a daughter of Malachi and Jane (Mason) Howland,
of Columbia township, and by her he has four children; William E., Charles
H., Esther (Mrs. Frank Bullock) and Mary D. (Mrs. James H. Strong).
William E. Gernert was reared in Columbia township, educated in the common
schools, and was engaged in farming until 1889, when he became a member
of the firm of Strong & Gernert, dealers in general merchandise, Colombia
Cross Roads. In 1872 he married Belinda, daughter of Hiram and Helen
(Sherman) Chace, of Springfield township, and they have seven children;
Gladys, Fannie, Grace, Warren, Harry, Lizzie and William H. Mr. Gernert
is an enterprising business man and representative citizen; politically
he is a Republican.
SAMUEL W. GEROULD, farmer, East Smithfield, was born in
Smithfield, May 3, 1829, a son of James and Lois (Wood) Gerould.
The father, a farmer and blacksmith, was born in Newtown, Conn., May 5,
1784, and was first lieutenant, captain and then quartermaster in the State
militia, and postmaster and justice of the peace in Smithfield. Jabez
Gerould, his grandfather, a blacksmith, was born in Wrentham, Mass., November
1, 1748; was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and at the battle of Bunker
Hill, for valiant service, was made captain. Our subject¹s maternal
grandfather was also a soldier in the Revolution and one of the men who
took Maj. Andre, the English spy, into Washington¹s camp. Mr.
Gerould was a cabinetmaker in early life, and carried on that business
at Smithfield Centre until 1855, when he moved to the farm he now owns
of 150 acres. He was married, June 16, 1853, to Ann Ophelia, daughter
of Truman and Ruth (Durfey) Beach, and who was born May 20, 1832.
There have been born to them eight children, as follows; Afton B., born
May 29, 1854; Flora E., born September 14, 1856; Laura Maria, born February
13, 1860, married to Warren Craig; Ruth Ida, born May 24, 1863, died March
29, 1886; Annie Lucelia, born July 20, 1865; Marin E., born September 24,
1869; Truman Wood, born September 2, 1871; Grace Ophelia, born November
21, 1874. Mr. Gerould is a careful and studious gentleman and successful
in all his enterprises; he is a Republican in politics. The family
are members of the Disciple Church.
JOHN F. GILLETTE, farmer, P.O. Gillett, was born in Masonville,
Delaware Co., N. Y., in March, 1817, a son of Asa and Laura (Osborn) Gillette,
the former born in Litchfield county, Conn., the latter in Massachusetts.
Asa Gillette was the son of Asa, a Revolutionary soldier, who joined the
army when only fourteen years of age, and served until the close of the
war, being present when Cornwallis surrendered to Washington. Asa,
Jr., removed from Masonville, N. Y., in 1833, locating in what is now Gillett,
in this county, then a vast wilderness. Jesse Morre was the first
settler, and built a log gristmill, one of the stones for which is now
in use as a "horse block." Ruloff Bovere was the next pioneer to
come into South Creek. Asa Gillette came to this county for the purpose
of manufacturing timber, and purchased a sawmill of Judge Smith, of Painter
Post, which was built three years previously, and in which he had an interest.
Mr. Gillette continued this business thirty-three years; he was a man of
influence, a leading spirit in moral, spiritual and business matters, one
to whom all looked up. He was an active member and deacon of the
Baptist Church; was postmaster a number of years, and also served as town
clerk. In 1865 he met with an accident that proved fatal, the dislocation
of his hip joint. His great desire was to see the war close before
he died. His family consisted of four children, all of whom grew
to maturity, and three are now living. John F., who is the second
member of the family, was reared and educated at the common school in Masonville.
At Southport, N. Y., October 2, 1839, he married Phebe C., daughter of
Asa and Mercy Moore, and, October 2, 1889, they celebrated their golden
wedding. To them were born four children; Emily E., married to George
H. Denham; Mary M., married to Philander L. Pettingill; Sarah J., married
to Charles T. Fitch, and Asa N., who died in 1865. Mr. Gillette is
an extensive lumberman, employing a number of men continually. His
farm consists of 550 acres, nearly all under improvement. He has
the entire confidence of his fellow-citizens, and was elected to represent
Bradford county for two sessions in the Legislature; has held the office
of justice of the peace twelve years; postmaster, four years; was deacon
of the Baptist Church twenty-five years, and follows in the footsteps of
his father as a leading spirit for good. Politically, he is a Republican.
CHARLES E. GLADDING, farmer, P. O., Altus, was born August
2, 1833, in Columbia township, this county, on the farm he now owns and
occupies, and is a son of Joseph and Marcy (Bullock) Gladding. The
father, who was a native of Barrington, R. I., located in Smithfield, this
county, in 1816, and in 1817 settled in Columbia township, where he cleared
and improved the farm occupied by subject, on which he lived until his
death, which occurred when he was in his ninetieth year. His wife
was a daughter of Asa and Jerusha (Allen) Bullock, and by her he had seven
children, six of whom grew to maturity; Jerusha B. (Mrs. James M. Edsall),
Emeline I. (Mrs. E. P. Shaw), Joseph N., Viall A., William P. and Charles
E., George William having died in childhood. Charles E. Gladding
was reared on the old homestead where he has always resided. He was
in the Civil War, enlisting August 14, 1862, and was commissioned first
lieutenant of Company D, One Hundred and Thirty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers.
He participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, and was honorably discharged
after nine month¹s service. In November, 1875, he married N.
Louisa, daughter of William G. Alger, of Towanda, and they have one daughter,
Cecele E. Mr. Gladding is a prominent farmer of Columbia township.
He is a member of the F. & A. M., G. A. R. and P. of H. Politically
he is a Republican, and was register and recorder of Bradford county for
the one term of three years.
L. R. GLEASON, tanner, Caton, is a native of Bolton, Warren
Co., N. Y., born November 16, 1829, a son of Jacob and Sarah (Eaton) Gleason,
natives of Vermont. The father, who was a prominent farmer, was born
in 1796, and in early life removed to New York, where he was married; then
came to Canton, where he died in 1869; the mother died in the same place
in January, 1881, aged eighty-six years. The great-grandfather, Jacob
Gleason, was a Revolutionary soldier, and in the service along with him
were three of his sons; the maternal grandfather, Brigham Eaton, was also
a Revolutionary soldier, and was at the battle of Bunker Hill. Jacob
and Sarah Gleason had a family of five children, four of whom died in infancy.
L. R. Gleason was the second in the order of birth, and when he was but
a lad his parents removed to Oswego county, N. Y., where they remained
until he reached the age of ten years, when they moved to Canton, and here
he commenced attending the public schools, alternating his studies with
labor about the home. He so remained until he was nineteen years
old, when he engaged in lumbering on his own account, which he followed
until 1868. He pushed his business successfully, and at times had
as many as 150 employees, and made his headquarters at Williamsport.
He then changed his business and opened a tannery in Canton, in which he
is now engaged, also owning and operating an extensive tannery at North
Bend, Clinton Co., and also one at Driftwood, Cameron Co., same State.
Mr. Gleason was twice married: first time in 1852, in Tioga county, to
Martha Irvin, daughter of Benjamin and Prudence (Dunbar) Irnic, of Lehigh
county, Pa., in the family of whose ten children she was the third in the
order of birth, born in Lehigh county, in 1832, and died May 15, 1880,
the mother of a large family, as follows: The eldest three died in
infancy, and the others surviving are as follows: Irvin, married
to Josephine Haines, is now manager of the North Bend tannery; John, married
to Harriet Rury, is connected with the Driftwood tannery; LeRoy, married
to Minnie Bessie Mutterbaugh, is at Driftwood; Charles, married to Minnie
Rury, is also at Driftwood, and James is at the paternal home. Mr.
Gleason¹s second marriage was with Mrs. Byron W. Clark, of Canton.
They are members of the Baptist Church; in his political faith he is a
Prohibitionist, and has served four terms as school director, and one term
in the council of Canton; has been many years a Freemason, and is a member
of Canton Lodge, No 415.
RUFUS B. GLEASON, farmer in Springfield township P. O.
Big Pond, was born April 20, 1843, in Binghamton, N. Y., a son of Lemuel
C. and Bertha (Hosley) Gleason, the former of whom was also a native of
Binghamton, and the latter of Vermont. The father removed to this
county in 1853, and settled at Big Pond; he was a mason by trade, as well
as a farmer, and lived to the age of sixty-five years. The mother¹s
family were among the early settlers of Springfield; she is still living
at the age of seventy-three. Rufus B. Gleason, who is one of four
children, was reared on his father¹s farm and educated in the schools
of the township. At the age of twenty-three he embarked in mercantile
trade at Big Pond, which he continued five years, and has since followed
farming. He was first married, February 20, 1865, to Mary L. French,
who died February 15, 1867, and his second marriage was March 31, 1868,
with Matilda Decker, who was born July 10, 1848, a daughter of Addison
and Emeline (Hill) Decker, natives of Elmira, N.Y. Mrs. Gleason was
the fourth in a family of eleven children seven daughters and four
sons ten of whom grew to maturity. The father died in 1883,
and the mother in 1878, at the age of fifty-five years. Mr. And Mrs.
Gleason have had born to them five children, as follows; Curtis L., born
February 13, 1871; Richard A., born January 26, 1873; Mary E., born July
28, 1876; Hattie I., born June 12, 1879; Mildred A., born August 7, 1885.
Mr. Gleason has made his own way in the world, and by perseverance and
industry has become the owner of a fine farm of 140 acres, his principal
interests being dairying and stock-raising. In politics he is an
Independent, and has been entrusted with other offices of public trust.
He is a member of the Patrons of Husbandry; is a kind father and husband,
and a worthy neighbor.
HENRY A. GLOVER , physician and surgeon, Windham Centre, is
a native of Tioga county, N. Y., born June 10, 1851, and is a son of Anson
B., and Lois M. Burton, natives of New York, where the father died in 1889,
and the mother is now living. They were eminently respectable people
of the agricultural class. They reared nine children, of whom the
subject of this brief sketch is the seventh in order of birth. He
spent his childhood on his father¹s farm; at a young age attended
the public schools of the vicinity, and was then sent to Owego Academy.
Completing his literary education, he entered the office of Dr. H. N. Eastman,
as a student of medicine, where he remained diligently attending to his
books two years, or until Dr. Eastman¹s death, when he was transferred
to the office of the latter¹s son, Dr. Robert Eastman, and was in
his office as student about one year, when he attended lectures at the
Buffalo Medical University, where he engaged in the practice of this profession,
and in the latter part of 1882 he came to Windham, where he has continued
in active practice, and enjoys an extended patronage. Here is a fine
example of what a poor farmer¹s boy can do when he so determines.
Dr. Glover made his own way in the world, even paying his own expenses
at school, and has prospered wonderfully. His farm of 108 acres,
well-improved and in a high state of cultivation, has on it a fine display
of improved stock. Here is the famous brood mare "Lizzie Carmalt,"
among whose colts and "Meltonian," a Messenger that five years of age made
the time of 2:36 1/2 after but two months¹ handling. Dr. Glover
and Mrs. Knapp, daughter of Alexander and Frances Pitcher, were united
in wedlock January 3, 1884. Mrs. Glover died suddenly, April 2, 1891.
Dr. Glover, as was his wife, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
and in politics he is in sympathy with the Republican party.
L.S. GOFF, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Rome, was born in
Rome borough, this county, August 9, 1843, and is a son of Lewis and Charlotte
M. (Taylor) Goff, the former a native of Connecticut, born March 19, 1805,
the latter born in this county, January 16, 1820; they were married March
27, 1840, and had four children; L. S.; George Malon, born January 2, 1847,
died in infancy; Theodore M., born February 8, 1849, killed by falling
through a bridge with a load of lumber, June 6, 1863; and Francis E., born
June 12, 1853, of Buffalo. Grandfather Samuel D. Goff was born April
9, 1766 and married November 23, 1786, to Dorothy Hill, who was born June
30, 1768, and they had the following children: Sallie, born November 7,
1787, married to Sylvester Barns, and left numerous descendants now residing
in Rome; Thankful, born August 23, 1790, married to Elby Stevens, died
May 16, 1824; David, born June 20, 1794, died in infancy; Anson, born June
11, 1797; Lewis, father of subject; Laura, born May 15, 1807, died in Iowa
in 1886; Mary, born November 6, 1810, died May 16, 1831. The father
makes his home with his son on the old homestead, and is eighty-six years
of age, hale and hearty. Mr. Goff was one of the pioneer lumbermen
of this section, and built several sawmills on Bullard creek; he followed
rafting down the river many years; he also operated a distillery in early
times; he would give two gallons of whisky in exchange for sixty barrels
of rye. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch spent his early
life on his father¹s farm, attending school at Rome until nineteen
years of age; then worked on his father¹s mills on his farm during
the summer, and when twenty-one years old he set out for himself as a farmer,
which occupation he has since followed. He has been twice married;
first time, March 16, 1862, to Jane L. Bailey, who died August 2, 1870,
and by this marriage there were two children: Delia H., born February 25,
1863; Berton L., born January 1, 1866. Mr. Goff married (the second
time), November 27, 1871, Lydia A., daughter of Breamus and Elizabeth (Dresser)
Ells, former native of Illinois, latter of Wysox, this county; Mrs. Lydia
A. Goff lived in Illinois until she was eighteen. Mr. And Mrs. Goff
have had two children: Leon L., born March 6, 1875, died February 12, 1876,
and Lizzie May, born May 13, 1877, residing with her parents. Mr.
Goff owns the old homestead which contains seventy acres of well-improved
land. The family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and
in his political views Mr. Goff is a stanch Republican.
E. G. GOODING, a farmer and stock-grower, P. O. Hornbrook,
was born in Sheshequin township, this county, March 10, 1825, a son of
George and Jane (Smith) Gooding. The father was born in Devonshire,
England, and came to this country in 1820, being yet unmarried, and located
in Sheshequin on a farm where he spent the remainder of his days, dying
in May, 1875, aged eighty-one. The mother was born in Yarmouth, England,
and came to this country a few years after the father, locating with her
parents in Sheshequin; she died in 1871, aged seventy-seven. Mr.
and Mrs. George Gooding had a family of two children: E. G. and a daughter,
Millina, who died aged twenty. E. G. Gooding was reared on the farm,
received his education in the common schools of Ulster and Sheshequin,
and acquired a fair education for the period. He remained on the
farm with his father, and now occupies the old homestead, the greater part
of improvements thereon being built by himself. He was married in
1848, to Mahaley, daughter of James and Bessie (Sickle) Kipp, and this
union were born five children, as follows: George P., married to Susie
Emery, and they have two sons, Harry and Otta; Lucian F., married to Ida
Towner, daughter of J. Towner, and they have one daughter, Bertha; Ellsworth,
married to Ella Morris, daughter of J. D. Morris, and they have one son,
R. Morris; Jennie, married to Theodore McAfee, and William E., remaining
single. In political matters, Mr. Gooding votes the Republican ticket.
ABRAHAM GORE, retired farmer, Sheshequin, was born in Sheshequin
valley, this county, July 31, 1822, and is a son of Abraham B. and Sallie
(Kennedy) Gore, the former of whom was a son of Samuel Gore, the father
of two sons and four daughters: Harriet, married to William J. Lint, and
is now dead; Fanny W., married to William Bull, of Pond Hill; Abraham;
C. C., of Sayre; Polly, married to Horace B. Chaffee, and Lucy A., married
to Boyn Chaffee. But few names of the Revolutionary fathers are more
illustrious than that of the Gore family. Abraham Gore spent his
boyhood on the noted Esquire Gore farm, and attended school in the neighborhood,
but being the eldest he had to work hard from the time he was old enough
to trudge the field. The father died while Abraham was yet small,
and he was left the main support of a widowed mother and his smaller brothers
and sisters, but he struggled and did not grow weary. At the age
of twenty-six he was married and commenced life for himself. The
farm he now owns, containing seventy-one acres well-improved land, was
inherited by him from his grandfather, but he has made the improvements;
when it can to him it was covered with a heavy growth of pitch pine, oak
and chestnut, which he converted into lumber; he had now retired from active
farming, and his son Abraham L. manages it. He married, February
22, 1849, Eliza Jane, daughter of Josiah B. and Charlotte (Goodwin) Marshall,
natives of Bradford county. The fruits of this marriage were five
children: Reed, who died aged twelve; Charlotte E., who died aged two;
Wallace, married to Emma Chaffee; Albert, of Elmira; Abraham L., married
to Eliza Ann Kennedy. Mr. Gore is a Universalist in religion, a member
of the I.O.O.F., Valley Lodge, and has passed all the chairs, being among
the oldest Odd Fellows of the township, having joined the Lodge at Athens
forty-four years ago; he is a Republican. When he first occupied
his farm there were no roads in the neighborhood, and but few log houses,
and the whole face of the country was wild. Abraham L. Gore, his
son, now occupies the old homestead; he was born, May 25, 1861; married
August 14, 1887; he attended school in the Sheshequin valley, and is a
prominent farmer of the county; in faith a Universalist, and in politics
CHARLES F. GORE, farmer, Sheshequin, was born in Sheshequin
township, this county, June 18, 1858, and is a son of C. C. Gore, a grandson
of Abraham Gore, and a great-grandson of Samuel Gore, who settled in Sheshequin
shortly after his brother, Judge Obadiah Gore. Abraham Gore is one
of six children of Samuel Gore, and C. C. Gore is the fourth child of Abraham
Gore. The mother of our subject was Eliza Ann Lucky Gore, born in
New Jersey; his father had previously married Celia Olds, and by this marriage
had three children of whom two died in early life, Abraham B. Gore surviving.
By his second marriage there were three children: Charles F.; Francis M.,
who died November 13, 1889; and Joseph O., who died November 23, 1890.
Francis was killed in a sawmill in Overton township, being struck in the
face by a slab that was hurled with great force by the machinery; he was
taken to Sayre Hospital were he died, living only six days. His father
resides in Sayre; his mother died April 4, 1888. On November 20,
1890, Charles F. Gore opened a grocery store in the central portion of
Sheshequin valley, in the building owned by W. H. H. Gore, and carried
a full line of groceries, cigars and tobacco, also a general assortment
for country trade, and has done a prosperous business. In the spring
of 1891 he moved on the homestead of his grandfather, Abraham Gore, a part
of the Samuel Gore estate. He was married October 16, 1881, to Augusta
M., daughter of William and Permelia (Horton) Tuttle, of Litchfield township,
both natives of Bradford county, Pa., and he has one child, William C.,
now aged seven. The family worship at the Universalist Church; M.
Gore is a member of the E. A. U., Lodge No. 13, Sheshequin, and secretary
of the Lodge; his political views are Republican.
MAJOR W. H. H. GORE, farmer, Sheshequin. The ancestor
of the Gores in the United States was John Gore, who immigrated to Roxbury,
Mass., from England in 1635, and history shows that he was a man of some
importance, and was the first town clerk of Roxbury. He had a family
of ten children, all born in Massachusetts, except the two eldest who were
born in England before the immigration of their parents. Samuel who
was the youngest child, and the ancestor from which W. H. H. Gore is descended,
a carpenter by trade, married, August 28, 1672, Elizabeth, daughter of
John Weld; he died July 4, 1692, and left a family of seven children.
The third child, Samuel, born October 20, 1681, in Roxbury, Mass., a yeoman,
married and had six children, the youngest of whom Obadiah, the direct
ancestor of Maj. Gore, was born in Roxbury, July 26, 1714; came to Pennsylvania
and located at Wilkes-Barre in 1768; was married in Plainfield county,
Conn., to Hannah Parks, and had the following named children: Obadiah (who
was well known as "Judge Gore," of this county), Asa, Silas (who was father
of Maj. Gore¹s grandmother), Samuel, George, Daniel, John, Sallie
(who married a Mr. Murphy) and another sister who married a Mr. Bidlack.
[See chapter on "Revolutionary War," on a preceding page, in this volume.]
Obadiah, the great-grandfather of our subject, was born in Norwich, Conn.,
April 7, 1744; married Ann Avery; had the following named children: Avery
(grandfather to subject), Wealthy, Hannah, Anna and Sallie. Obadiah
Gore was in the Continental Army during the Revolution, and was absent
with his company on the New York frontier at the time of the battle of
Wyoming, thus escaping the fate of so many of his family, Asa, Silas and
George being killed, also Murphy and Bidlack, brothers-in-law. He
returned to Wyoming after the massacre; was with Gen. Sullivan in his expedition
up the Susquehanna, holding a lieutenant¹s commission and serving
on Gen. Sullivan¹s staff. The army camped two days at the mouth
of a small creek on the land now owned by Maj. Gore, awaiting their boats.
Obadiah then became impressed with the beauty of the valley, and determined,
on his return to private life, to make his home here. He served during
the entire war in Washington¹s army, and at its close came to this
county, locating and building his first house on the land now owned by
L. J. Culver. He was many years a justice of the peace, and was judge
of Luzerne county upon its organization; also served two terms in the Pennsylvania
Legislature; he built the second mill in the county, and the first frame
barn. In his day he was the foremost man of the county; a very lion
in courage, and a women in tenderness and charity. He passed quietly
away in 1821, full of years and honors.
Avery Gore, grandfather of the Major, was born in Plainfield,
Conn., January 10, 1765. He was, when a lad, in Forty Fort during
the Wyoming massacre, and, armed with a pitch-fork, stood ready to oppose
his feeble strength against the red butchers. When nineteen years
old he settled at Sheshequin with his father, and was associated with him
in nearly all his business transactions. He was a member of the militia,
where he received his military title. He married his cousin, Lucy
Gore, daughter of Silas Gore, an extensive speculator in land; was the
first postmaster at Sheshequin, held all the town offices, and died there
Obadiah Gore, the Major¹s father, was the seventh child
of Avery and Lucy Gore. He was thoroughly educated in the Sheshequin
schools, and afterward at Wilkes-Barre; he became a dealer in lumber, and
a merchant; held all the township offices, but for the past forty years
he has been devoted to his farm. He was married, October 15, 1834,
Matilda, daughter of Ebenezar Shaw, and had a family as follows; W. H.
H., Amelia (deceased), S. W., Marion A. (deceased), Mortimer (deceased),
Adolph K., of Waverly.
Major Gore was born September 16, 1835, on the farm now owned
by his father, was educated in the schools of Sheshequin, and afterward
at the academy of Towanda, and at Athens, taking a course in classics and
practical surveying. Leaving school at the age of nineteen, he clerked
one and one-half years; then was three years in a drug store, after which
he went West, and was in a wholesale drug house at Peoria, Ill., one year;
then went to Griggsville, same state, and was engaged in the drug business
there one year; selling out, he returned to Pennsylvania, and again clerked
for a time. On April 22, 1861, he enlisted at the first call for
volunteers, in Company I, Sixth Pennsylvania Reserves, Army of the Potomac.
He was in all the battles in which his regiment participated, beginning
with Dranesville, and ending with Bethesda Church, at Cold Harbor; was
promoted to major, Just 1, 1863, and brevet lient. colonel, September 10,
1866, for gallant services in the battles of the Wilderness and Spottsylvania.
He was mustered out June 11, 1864, and is an invalid pensioner. On
his return to private life he opened a store in Towanda, which he sold
out in 1870; then returned to the old homestead at Sheshequin, and was
there two years, engaged in settling the estate of a deceased uncle, after
which, in 1873, he removed to his present residence. Major Gore was
appointed, in 1874, to the railroad mail service, on the Lehigh Valley
and Erie Railroads, and was in that position until 1880. He was married
February 15, 1860, to Cynthia M., daughter of Joel and Maria (Goodale)
Farnham, former a native of Owego, N. Y., and latter of Sheshequin, the
family of whom consisted of five children, Mrs. Gore being the third; she
received her education in the high school, also at the academy at Owego,
and spent several years teaching. To Major and Mrs. Gore have been
born two children; Henry W., born November 29, 1860 (married to Hattie
Rodgers, of Towanda), and Eliza May. Major Gore is a member of the
Universalist Church, and secretary of the board of trustees of that body;
Mrs. Gore is a member of the Episcopal Church. The Gore family are
nearly all Universalists in belief. The Major is a Sir Knight Templar,
and a member of Union Lodge, No. 108, F. & A. M., and has filled the
chair of worshipful master and high priest, etc.; is also a member of the
I. O. O. F., Valley Lodge, No. 446, Sheshequin; has passed all the chairs
and taken degree of State Encampment; is a member of Perkins Post, No.
202, G. A. R., of Athens, and is past commander of Watkins Post, No. 68,
Towanda; is a member of the Union Veteran Legion of Sayre, and past col.
commander of same; is a member of the E. A. U., Sheshequin Division, No.
13; also of the Daughters of Rebecca, No 117, Sheshequin, and is secretary
of same. Politically, he is a Republican, and has held the offices
of school director, constable, assessor, tax collector, and others.
ABEL L. GORSLINE, farmer, Wysox township, P. O. Wickizer,
was born in Orwell, this county, March 7, 1837, and was the seventh of
nine children born to Pomeroy and Charlotte (Lawrence) Gorsline, the former
a native of Vermont and of German origin, the latter a native of New York,
of English lineage. Abel L. remained with his father on the farm
until September 4, 1864, when he enlisted in Company G, Two Hundred and
Seventh P. V. I., and was mustered out upon the disbandment of his regiment
at Arlington Heights, May 22, 1865. Soon after returning from the
army he located on his present home, which he inherited from his father,
and where he has since resided. July 3, 1876, Mr. Gorsline married
Miss Charlotte, daughter of Ezaciah and Ann (Simmins) Gorsline, natives
of New York. They have one child, Abel L., Jr., born August 27, 1889.
Mr. Gorsline is a member of the Wesleyan Methodist Church, the G. A. R.
Post at Rome, and politically is a Republican.
IRA A. GOULD, farmer, of Warren township, P. O. Warren
Centre, was born in Susquehanna county, Pa., May 21, 1842; a son of James
and Rhoda (Haughton) Gould, natives of New Hampshire and Vermont, respectively,
and of English stock. The father, who was a carpenter and joiner,
came to this county in 1828, and settled in Warren township; he died June
16, 1872, and his widow now resides in Michigan. They had ten children,
of whom Ira A. is the eldest. He spent his life in Warren township
until ten years of age, and then attended school at Owego. He learned
the printer¹s art, and was at the case until the breaking out of the
Civil War, when he became the seventh man to respond to the call for 75,000
troops, by enlisting, April 17, 1861, in the Twenty-third New York Infantry,
Company C. The command left Elmira July 5th, to go to the front with
the Army of the Potomac, under Gen. McDowell. Our subject was under
fire several times in skirmishes and battles, and was in the brunt of the
fight at Rappahannock Station and at White Sulphur Springs, then at Gainesville
and at the second Bull Run fight; also at Chantilly, where he was left
on the skirmish line while the army retreated to Fairfax Court House, and
he witnessed the race for the place between the "Johnnies" and "Yanks."
He was thus exposed and without food or sleep for three days. His
command was with the First Corps in all the battles, marches and sieges
after they left Washington. At the battle of South Mountain, through
some mistake, a part of the regiment retreated and left their companions
exposed to over two hours severe fighting. At Antietam his company
was sent to Division Headquarters under Gen. Doubleday, and he performed
provost guard duty over prisoners until the close of his term of service.
He was discharged May 22, 1863, and re-enlisted November 24 following.
He re-enlisted, this time in the Fiftieth New York Engineers, and returned
to the front to the Army of the Potomac, hoofed it with Sheridan¹s
Cavalry, and most of the time they were kept busy building bridges, forts
and breastworks, and had some sharp experiences with guerrillas in guarding
their boats. They were in front of Petersburg and Cold Harbor, and
after the latter they were thirty days on the march to Trevilian Station.
After the battle of Petersburg, in December, 1864, the command went to
Notaway Station, traveling at times through two feet of water, and at night
they would nearly freeze. They went to Winehester with Sheridan,
and were at the surrender of Lee. In crossing the Shenandoah at Mt.
Jackson, the corps (fifty men) made a bridge of thirteen boats and two
trestles in just nineteen minutes, and after crossing over and taking them
up, they found the boats had several holes shot in them. Mr. Gould
was discharged June 13, 1865, when "the cruel war was over;" and returned
home. While in the service he was taken ill with typhoid fever at
Upton¹s Hill, and was sent to regimental hospital, where he was confined
five weeks, and to this time suffers from loss of hearing in one ear, and
rheumatism in the right side. He is a member of the G. A. R., and
a pensioner, and a Republican "God bless the G. O. P." adds Mr. Gould.
He was married in Allegany, N. Y., September 30, 1865, to Mary, daughter
of Frederick and Hannah Stratton, who had five children, of whom Mary is
the fourth, reared, educated and married in her native place. To
Mr. And Mrs. Gould was born, October 22, 1866, one child, Elmer.
ADDISON GRACE, farmer, Asylum township, P. O. Macedonia,
was born in Springfield, this county, July 11, 1830, and is a son of William
and Hannah (Salisbury) Grace, natives of Massachusetts, and of English
extraction. William Grace came to this county when a young man; his
grandmother Grace was one of the nurses who attended the wounded at the
battle of Bunker Hill, and his grandfather Grace was one of the Revolutionary
soldiers in the same battle. Addison Grace, who is the eighth in
a family of nine children, was reared on his father¹s farm, became
a farmer when grown, and has followed that occupation successfully since.
He was united in matrimony October 3, 1849, with Dimmis Knapp, and there
were born to them eight children, all living as follows: Ruby, born July
15, 1850, wife of Mahlon Allen; Addison W., born January 23, 1852, married
to Helena Hosley; Laura E., born March 27, 1854, wife of Hiram
Joyce Tip Box -- December 2007 -
If you are not navigating this Tri-Counties
Sitevia the left and right sidebars of the Current
What's New page you are doing yourself a disservice. You can get
to any place on the site easily by making yourself familiar with these
subject and place topics. Try them all to be as familiar with the site's
16,000 plus pages as you can. Stop groping in the dark and take the lighted
path. That's also the only way you'll find the search engines for the site
or have access to the necessary messages I may leave for you. Make
it easy on yourself.