History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
THOMAS GRACE, proprietor of “Hotel Grace,” Towanda, was born in Standing Stone township, this county, November 14, 1847, and is a son of Philip and Ann (Griffin) Grace, natives of Counties Tipperary and Kerry, Ireland, respectively. His father came to America in early manhood, was for many years a resident of Standing Stone, this county, where he died in 1870, at about the age of sixty years. He reared a family of seven children, viz.: Mary, Thomas, Philip, Henry, John, William and Margaret (Mrs. Martin P. Brennan). Thomas was reared in his native township, where he received a limited education in the common schools, and was for some years engaged in farming, and in 1883 came to Towanda, where he was a buyer of hides one year. In 1884 he embarked in the hotel business, in which he has since continued, and has done business at his present place on South Main street since 1890. Mr. Grace is a member of the Roman Catholic Church and is Independent in politics.
FRANCIS P. GRADY, the leading and popular merchant tailor in Towanda, was born in Beaver Meadow, Carbon Co., Pa., March 16, 1850, a son of James and Ann (Lannan) Grady, natives of County Roscommon, Ireland. James Grady came to America about 1834 and settled in Carbon county, engaged in farming and later was a boss in coal works; he died about 1852. Francis P. was reared in Carbon county, and began life as a slate picker and later was in the coal breaker, also worked in the mines as a door tender and mule driver. At the age of sixteen he was apprenticed to the tailor’s trade in Hazelton, Luzerne county, serving three years and ten months, and afterward went to Philadelphia, where he worked as a journeyman in various cities of Pennsylvania and New York. In 1878 he located in Towanda and engaged in the merchant tailoring business for himself, in which he has since successfully continued, and has built up a trade second to none in the county. Mr. Grady was married August 14, 1875, to Mary J., daughter of Oscar Sage, of Bradford county, and by her he had one son, Francis W. (deceased). Mr. Grady is a member of the Catholic Church, also of the K. of L., and he is a Republican.
J. H. GRANT, the leading jeweler of Troy, was born in Geneseo, Livingston Co., N. Y., January 5, 1834, a son of Ira and Maria (Hewitt) Grant, and is of Scotch-Irish descent, his ancestors being of the same lineage as that of the late Gen. U. S. Grant. He was reared in Cortland, N. Y., where he received an academical education, and served a three and one-half years’ apprenticeship at the jeweler’s trade, in which he has since successfully continued. He has been twice married. His first wife was Marian, daughter of William S. and Nancy (Bothwell) Dobbins, of Troy, and by her he had two children: Fred (deceased) and William H., now connected with a leading jewelry establishment at Portland, Oregon; his second wife was Orpha M., daughter of Elijah H. and Sarah (Halsted) Dewey, of Troy, and he has by her four children: Albert H., Edwin H., Nellie L. and Edith H. Mr. Grant is a Sir Knight Templar; he was school director of Troy borough fifteen years, from 1872 to 1887, during fourteen years of which time he was treasurer of the school board; was burgess two terms, and a member of the common council eight or ten years; he was treasurer of Bradford county from January 1, 1879, to January 1, 1882, and was a presidential elector on the Harrison and Morton ticket in 1888; politically, he has always been a stanch Republican.
WALTER KERR GREEN, at present a farmer, in Bradford county, was born at Chapple Hill, Davidson Co., Tenn., September 15, 1830, and is the son of John Simms and Elizabeth (Henley) Green. The family moved to Cherry township, Lycoming (now Sullivan) Co., Pa., in 1833. Here Walter grew to manhood, helping his father clear up a large farm. In January, 1857, he married Marion E. Wolcott, daughter of Elijah and Elizabeth (Park) Wolcott, of Litchfield, Bradford Co.; moved to that place in April, 1861, and purchased the Snover farm of John Layton (where George Brink now lives). In the fall of 1862 he was drafted and went to Harrisburg. After staying about four weeks at Camp Curtin, he was discharged and came home, embarking in the lumber business. In this he was successful until, in March, 1865, having a large amount of lumber on the bank of the Susquehanna, it was swept away in the floods, leaving him heavily in debt, the effects of which he yet feels. Having turned all over to his creditors, he moved to Athens borough and began working by the day; but after a time he embarked in contracting, which he found more remunerative. He erected several buildings, among which was the “Cudderback House” on Chestnut street, which he built for himself. Always having good credit, he abused it by endorsing for a man who betrayed him, and again he lost all he had. In 1868 he moved to Wolcott Hollow, in Athens township, and began jobbing for Gen. H. Williston, which proved disastrous, and this with the loss of five horses compelled him to sell all in order to pay his help, and once more he began at the bottom, working by the day for Wolcott & Hadlock, who had an extensive lumber trade at that time. Here he paid off his debts of the Williston disaster, and had a surplus, when, in 1873, Wolcott & Hadlock failed, and again Mr. Green lost heavily. But the lumber business of Wolcott & Hadlock being bought by D. F. Park, he retained Mr. Green as superintendent with a good salary, and this with the stump-pulling business, which he engaged in again, placed him on the road to prosperity. But in 1877 Bat Golden’s barn at Milan was burned, and again Mr. Green was a loser, two good teams being burned in that conflagration. In 1880 Mr. Job Griffin offered him a partnership in the manufacture of lumber, and the mill which now stands in Wolcott Hollow was built by Mr. Green to carry on the business which has proved successful. Mr. Green has met with many failures which would have dismayed a man of less pluck and courage, but with the aid of his estimable wife he has overcome these obstacles, and is now the owner of a good farm and a fine residence called “The Willows.” Here he resides with his wife and three daughters, M. Euphemia, Mary A. and Virginia L. His two sons, Harry C. and Craig W., are now on the staff of two New York dailies. Three other children died in infancy. Mr. Green has always had the confidence and respect of his neighbors. Although not an office-seeker. he is a stanch Democrat, and has successfully held several town offices.
WILLIAM H. D. GREEN, a prominent dry-goods merchant, Towanda, was born in Dushore, Sullivan Co., Pa., January 30, 1837, a son of John S. and Elizabeth (Hanley) Green, the former of whom was a native of Philadelphia, and the latter of Georgia; they settled at Dushore in 1829, where the father acted as land agent for John S. Green, who had previously taken up a large tract of land in that vicinity. In 1856 he was elected treasurer of Sullivan county, and served two terms; he died March 16, 1876, at Laporte, Pa. Mr. Green was reared in Sullivan county, where he received a limited education in the common schools. August 17, 1862, he enlisted as a private in Company K, One Hundred and Forty-first P. V. I. September 15, 1863, he was captured by the enemy while advancing on Culpeper, Va.; he was a prisoner nineteen months and twenty days in Libby, Belle Isle, Andersonville, Savannah and Millen prisons. April 28, 1865, he was sent to Jacksonville, Fla., and in June was transported to Annapolis, Md., and thence to Harrisburg, Pa., where he was honorable discharged, June 20, 1865. In 1866 he settled in Towanda, where he was proprietor of the Towanda and Laporte stage line nearly three years. In 1868 he located at Burlington, this county, and engaged in general merchandising and hotel-keeping there until 1883, when he returned to Towanda and embarked in the dry-goods business, in which he has since successfully continued. He married, July 3, 1860, Mary A., daughter of Dennis McKeeby, of Susquehanna county, Pa., and has two children living, viz.: Frank D. and Hattie M. (Mrs. H. L. Bushnell). Mr. Green is a member of the Episcopal Church and G. A. R.; he was elected a second term as justice of the peace, during his residence at Burlington. Politically he is a Republican.
GEORGE W. GREGORY, M. D., Troy, was born in Fleming, Cayuga Co., N. Y., September 22, 1854, a son of Richard and Maria (Smith) Gregory, and of Scotch ancestry. He was reared in his native county, and received an academical education at Auburn, N. Y.; in 1875, he began the study of medicine with Dr. Samuel Gilmore, of Fleming, N. Y., and in August, 1876, continued his studies under Dr. J. W. Cox, of Albany, N. Y. He was graduated from the medical department of Union University of that city, in January, 1879, and at once began the practice of his profession in Albany, remaining there until June, 1880; on July 26, 1880, he located in Troy where he has since been in active practice. In June, 1883, the Doctor was married to Nellie, daughter of Perry H. and Lydia (Robinson) Oliver, of Troy, and granddaughter of Edward Oliver, by which union there were two children: Richard and Margaret. Dr. Gregory is a member of the Homeopathic State Medical Society of Pennsylvania, and an honorary member of the Albany (N.Y.) Medical Society. Socially he is a Sir Knight Templar.
JOB GRIFFIN, farmer, Athens township, P. O. Athens, was born in Athens township, this county, and is son of Capt. John (second) and Nancy (Morley) Griffin, both of whom were born in Athens township. The father is a son of Capt. John (first) Griffin, who removed from Connecticut to this county about 1809, locating near Athens borough, then called “Tioga Point;” he purchased a lot of 300 acres, and like all the old pioneers improved and built until, by hard labor and industry, he became a wealthy farmer for those days; he kept one of the first hotels in that place, and died about 1843, at the age of fifty-six. His son John (second) occupied part of the estate where Job now resides. He was an extensive lumberman, having built several sawmills, one of which is still standing; also dealt in stock and was a man of enterprise. In 1862 he joined as captain, Company H, fifty-seventh P.V. I., serving two years, and after his discharge he was chosen by his fellow-citizens to the office of town commissioner; he died May 15, 1874, at the age of fifty-six. He had only one son, Job, the subject of this sketch, who now resides on his father’s homestead. At the age of twenty-three (in 1869) he married Miss Martha J., daughter of Dr. E. P. and H. H. Allen, of Athens, and three children were born to them, two of whom are living: Mary and John. Mr. Griffin is a general farmer and stock raiser, has about twenty-five head of full-blooded registered Guernseys, on which he took the first premium at Troy and Elmira fairs; he also buys stock of various kinds, shipping to New York and Jersey City.
JOSEPH P. GRIFFITH, farmer and stock grower, P. O. Windham, is a native of Susquehanna county, Pa., born July 4, 1843. the youth started life with quite a patriotic celebration. He is a son of David and Ruth (Wilber) Griffith, of New York, and of remote German and Welsh descent. The father, who was a farmer and mechanic, came to Bradford county in 1848, first stopping in Windham township, and then went to Nichols, N. Y., where he died of heart-disease in 1879, being found dead in bed; his partner and wife had passed away five weeks previously. Their children were three in number: Joanna, married to Amzi Benjamine, and died in 1876; Joseph P.; and Ruby A., wife of L. Neal. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Windham township, and , a poor boy, commenced farming, and is now proprietor of 100 acres of highly improved and cultivated farm land. August 25, 1862, the lad enlisted at Owego in the cause of the Union, joining the One Hundred and Ninth Regiment, N.Y. V. I., but the regiment being already full, he repaired to Binghamton and joined the One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Regiment, Company A, under Col. David Ireland, a regular, and they went almost direct to the front in fighting trim, and were “double-quicking” across lots toward the nearest fight. The regiment joined Gen. Slocum’s corps. Mr. Griffith bore the gauntlet of war safely until the battle of Chancellorsville, where “his hat received a mortal wound.” The command reached Gettysburg the second day of the fight, and formed on the right, in the heat of the battle, receiving the assault of Stonewall Jackson’s old command, and of the forty-four men in his company, in this carnage, only five came out alive - four privates and one corporal being all who could muster after the battle. Slocum’s and the Eleventh corps were consolidated under Gen. Hooker, and their next battle was at Wauhatchie in defense of a wagon train, when a ball grazed Mr. Griffith’s neck, and came so near cutting his throat that it took away his breath and drew blood, but he rallied and was in line at the battle of Lookout Mountain, and charged the enemy’s works; in this critical moment the Major called out, “who will go over first?” when he (the Major) quickly jumped over in order to be first, but jumped almost on Mr. Griffith, who was ahead of him, and for this he was promoted to sergeant. Then came the battle of Mission Ridge, and then to Ringold, Ga., and Resaca, New Hope Church, Pine Knob, Kenesaw Mountain and Peachtree Creek, where he was hit over the heart with a ball that knocked him down, but some things in his pocket saved his life; then came Atlanta and Savannah, where he was one of a detail to furnish supplies, and became one of “Sherman’s Banners,” but was with his regiment in the Savannah battle and on Sherman’s entire march to the sea, and the campaigns of the Carolinas. Again becoming one of “Sherman’s Banners,” he was captured and sent to Libby prison, and the ten days’ experience there nearly starved him to death. He was paroled and sent to Annapolis Junction, and finally was on his way to his old command when he was met at Elmira and mustered out June 23, 1865, the cruel war being over. He was married at Nichols, N. Y., to Catherine White, daughter of William and Charlotte (Dunham) White, and they have two children: William D., now aged twenty-one (he is employed in a store in New Mexico, receiving $65 per month), and Kittie B., now aged seventeen (she is at the normal school in Mansfield). This pleasant and most estimable family are members of the Methodist Church, and are widely respected. Mrs. Griffith is an invalid, unable to walk, and goes about the house in a wheel chair.
LUCIUS EDGAR GRIGGS, farmer, Monroe township, P. O. Liberty Corners, was born in Ashford, Conn., February 26, 1822, a son of Joseph and Mary (Mason) Griggs, natives of Connecticut and of early English origin; they removed to Monroe in 1831. In his father’s family there were six children, of whom he is the fourth; he has always followed farming; located on his present home in 1849. He was married January 11, 1846, to Miss Lydia C., daughter of Philip and Betsey (Richards) Hart, of New England stock; later came to Bradford county in 1825; they have five children, viz.: Willis E., born January 8, 1847, is town treasurer, a member of the I. O. O. F. Lodge at Monroe, and resides on a farm across the road from the old homestead, married to Mrs. Cyrus Lewis (Miss Mary E. Strevey), by whom he has three children; Dorsey L., born October 4, 1848, is engaged in the Eureka Works, Utica, N. Y., married to Lydia F. Strevey, by whom he has seven children; Ira G., born August 19, 1850, electrical engineer, Brockport, Pa., married to Charlotte Brown, by whom he has two children; Eli Z., born September 7, 1852, mine superintendent, Brockport, married to Miss Annie S. Kinney, of Athens, who died July 23, 1891, leaving four children; and Addison E., born December 29, 1854, blacksmith, Landrus, Pa. Lucius Edgar Griggs and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a thorough Democrat, and has been collector of taxes, and school director nine years; was on the first school board ever organized in Monroe, and on March 4, 1843, he was commissioned, by Governor Porter, captain of the “Monroe Rifle Company;” he was rejected from active service in the Civil War on account of deafness.
T. GRIMES, farmer, of Overton township, P. O. Overton, is a native of County Sligo, Ireland, born in 1817, and is a son of Terrence and Bridget (Gallagher) Grimes, natives of the same place, where the father died in 1842, and the mother in 1844. He is the second in a family of five children. The son remained in the old family home in his native place, and at the age of twenty-three he bade farewell to home and native land, and sailed, as an emigrant, to the land of the free, making his permanent stop in Overton, first seeking and finding employment among the simple, honest, industrious farmers of that place. In time, by his untiring industry, he accomplished the ambition of his young life, and become a land owner, a term that means far more to a foreign-born citizen than to a native American. His farm contains fifty acres, well improved and cultivated, on which are comfortable houses and general improvements. He was married in Ireland, in 1838, to Mary Coggins, daughter of Patrick and Catherine (Murphy) Goggins, all natives of the same place, and old-time neighbors of the Grimes family. Of this union were born children, of whom four died, and the living are: Mary, wife of James McDonald; Julia, wife of Charles Bowman; Jennie, wife of James Nestor; Nellie, wife of Burt Hoose; Terrence, Maggie, Patrick and Michael. The family worship at the Catholic Church, and every member is noted for industry and integrity, a natural result it would seem when it is remembered that the father with his own hands cleared the entire farm, where they now live, when it was a dense wilderness. In political matters Mr. Grimes affiliates with the Democratic party.
HENRY G. GRINNELL, farmer, P. O. Columbia Cross Roads, was born in Wells township, this county, December 26, 1844, and is a son of Lorenzo and Rhoda (Griffin) Grinnell. His father was a native of Chenango county, N. Y., and his mother of Dutchess county, N. Y. His maternal grandfather was Henry Griffin, of Dutchess county, N. Y., who died there; his widow afterward married James A. Wilson, and with him settled in Wells township, this county, in 1837. Lorenzo Grinnell settled there at about the same time, clearing and improving a farm and was there married; he died in 1867; his widow still survives him at the age of eighty-one years. Their children were as follows: Harrison, Susa (deceased), Henry G., and Mary (deceased). Henry G. Grinnell, the subject of this sketch, was reared in Wells township, educated in the common schools, and is a carpenter and painter by trade; he has been more or less engaged in lumbering, but most of his life has been spent in farming. He resided in Wells township until 1866, and has since lived in Columbia, where he has engaged in farming and dairying. He was in the Civil War, enlisting in September, 1861, in Battery A, First New York Artillery, and after serving six weeks was honorable discharged on account of disability. He re-enlisted, in February, 1864, in Battery F, same regiment, and was honorable discharged June 27, 1865. He married, in December, 1865, Alice, daughter of Cornelius and Mary J. (Seeley) Daggett, of Jackson, Tioga Co., Pa., and has five children, as follow: Stowell E., Henry G., Jr., Mary A., Lorenzo and Jennie. Mr. Grinnell is a Republican in politics.
CHARLES N. GROHS, of Grohs & Manley, grocers, Troy, was born in Northampton county, Pa., March 13, 1832, a son of Isaac and Christianna Wilhelm, and is of German descent. He was reared in his native State, received a common-school education, and learned the miller’s trade, beginning his apprenticeship when fourteen years of age, in Luzerne county, and finishing in Troy in 1848. He settled in Troy township, and for fifteen years worked as a journeyman miller to Viele’s mills, and two years as proprietor. In the spring of 1866, he located in Troy borough, and embarked in the grocery business, in which he has since successfully continued, and has been a member of the firm of Grohs & Manley since January, 1889. In 1856 he married Deborah, daughter of Jacob Viele, of Schenectady, N. Y., and has two children: Minnie (Mrs. Fred H. Hoffman) and Charles V. Mr. Grohs is a popular grocer of Troy; is a member of the Episcopal Church and F. & A. M.; has served as councilman of Troy borough one term; in politics, he is a Democrat.
GEORGE H. HAFLETT, farmer, in Granville township, P. O. Windfall, was born in Granville township, this county, July 21, 1841, and is a son of William and Lucy (Hewitt) Haflett, natives of England, who settled in Granville township about 1838, and cleared and improved what is now known as the John L. Ferguson farm; the father still resides in the township. They reared a family of children as follow: Amelia (Mrs. John Reed), John, Mary (Mrs. John C. May), George H. and William H. George H. was reared and educated in Granville, where he has always resided, and is one of the representative farmers of the township. He married, December 14, 1862, Helen P., daughter of Philander and Betsey (Grantier) Case, of Canton township, and has one daughter, Hattie B. Mr. Haflett was in the Civil War, having enlisted February 19, 1864, in Company C, Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry. He participated in the battles of Selma (Ala.), and Macon (Ga.), besides other minor engagements; was wounded while on picket duty on the Tennessee river, and was honorably discharged at Macon, Ga., August 23, 1865. He is a member of the G. A. R. and P. of H.; politically he is a Republican, and has been assessor of Granville township five years.
JOHN W. HAFLETT, farmer, of Granville township, P. O. Windfall, was born in Providence, R. I., October 31, 1835, and is son of William and Lucy (Hewitt) Haflett, who settled in Granville township, this county, about 1838. John W. Haflett was reared in Granville from three years of age, receiving a common-school education, has always followed farming, and has resided on the farm he now occupies since 1856, which he cleared and improved. He was in the War of the Rebellion, having enlisted August 1, 1864, in Company I, Fifteenth New York Engineers, and was honorable discharged from the service July 2, 1865, at Washington, D. C. He married, July 4, 1855, Delilah, daughter of Philander and Betsey (Grantier) Case, of Canton, by whom he has five children, as follows: Lucy (Mrs. Washington McCroy), David, George, Gladdus and Merton. Mr. Haflett is a member of the G. A. R. and I. O. O. F.; in politics he is a Republican.
CALEB S. HAGER, farmer, Columbia township, P. O. Sylvania, was born in Hector, Tompkins Co., N. Y., November 13, 1818, and is a son of Isaac and Sally (Peck) Hager, and of German descent. He was reared in Tioga county, Pa., from five years of age, educated in the common schools, and after attaining his majority engaged in farming. In 1869 he settled in Columbia township, this county, locating on the farm he now occupies, on which he has made many improvements. He is a man of extraordinary musical talent, has been a teacher of both vocal and instrumental music for fifty-seven years, and plays nearly every instrument. He was twice married; first time to Maryett, daughter of Luther Tinkham, of Tioga county, Pa., and by her he had four children: Frank, Nettie (Mrs. Samuel Bradford), Hattie (Mrs. James Rothrock) and Martin. His second wife was Hannah, daughter of John Fisher, of Union county, Pa., and by her has three children: Coley, Gertrude (Mrs. Bert Strait) and Percy. Mr. Hager is a member of the Free-Will Baptist Church. In politics he is a Republican.
FRANCIS H. HAGEMAN, farmer, P. O. Rummerfield Creek, was born February 1, 1823, in Northampton county, Pa., the youngest of seven children of Joshua and Susanah (Dills) Hageman, natives of New Jersey. He was united in marriage January 1, 1852, to Julia A., daughter of Philip Wideman, a native of this State, and they had six children, four of whom are living, as follow: Kate, born August 26, 1855, wife of George Kerrick; Susan A., born March 10, 1858, wife of R. B. Kerrick; Francis H., born December 25, 1866, married to Rose Bullock; and Justin, born November 8, 1868. Mr. Hageman was raised on his father’s farm, and has followed farming and milling all his life. He came to this county about 1870, purchased the old Laporte homestead, and has over 300 acres of the north part of the farm, one of the finest and best farms in the county. This settlement was made in 1794; the first settlement of the French refugees and the grave and monument of their leader, John Laporte, is near his house. Mr. Hageman has always been a very successful farmer, wheat and potatoes being his principal crops; also owns the mill near the mouth of Towanda creek, where he does a large business which is managed by his two sons, Francis H. and Justin. He is a Republican in politics, originally a Henry Clay Whig, for whom he cast his first vote for President.
JOHN F. HAIGH, farmer and woolen manufacturer, of Pike township, P. O. LeRaysville, was born March 21, 1852, on the farm where he now lives, a son of Joseph and Harriet S. (Browning) Haigh, the former a native of Yorkshire, England, the latter of Bradford county, and of New England descent. The father located at Pike in 1842, and was employed by William Black in the manufacture of woolen goods. In 1847, in company with Luther Stewart, he purchased the factory of Mr. Black, and in 1856 he purchased the interest of Mr. Stewart; then continued in this business until his death, which occurred June 22, 1890, at the age of seventy-five years; his wife died May 11, 1890. John F. Haigh was educated in the district, LeRaysville and Rome graded schools, and began teaching at twenty, being thus occupied ten terms; aside from teaching winters he always remained at home and assisted his father on the farm and in the factory. In his father’s family there were six children, viz.: Mary, Lucy W., John F., Emma M., Sarah Jane and William S. (latter deceased). Mr. Haigh is a member of the Republican party, and has held office in his township for many years.
HARRY L. HAIGHT, farmer, P. O. Durell, was born June 20, 1825, and is a son of George R. and Betsy O. (Curtis) Haight, natives of Chenango county, N. Y., and agriculturists. He came to Burlington, this county, when a small boy, was reared on his father’s farm and educated in the schools of that town. Mr. Haight came to Asylum township about 1871 and settled on his present farm, which is one of the best in the town, his residence being on one of the most beautiful locations in the State. He was a soldier in the War of the Rebellion, and was honorably discharged after Lee’s surrender; he is a Republican, and has taken an active interest in the affairs of the county; was ten years a justice of the peace, and declined re-election for another five years. Mr. Haight was united in marriage, December 25, 1848, with Caroline, daughter of Evan O. Shiner, and born December 6, 1825; they have had seven children, six of whom are living, as follows: George L., born January 29, 1849, a merchant, married to Adda Ackley; Vie C., born November 6, 1853, wife of Samuel Stether; William B., born May 4, 1856, married to Bettie Bangston; Carrie E., born April 19, 1862 (Mrs. Charles Frutchey); Perry S., born July 15, 1866, married to Ella Delong; Alta D., born June 7, 1869, married to Katie Campbell, and living with his father. Mr. and Mrs. Haight are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Haight’s grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier and saw great hardships and long service.
CHARLES A. HAINES, physician, LeRoy, was born in Lehighton, Carbon Co., Pa., a son of Charles and Julia (Buchman) Haines, whose family consisted of four children, of whom Charles A. is the second. He came to LeRoy township, this county, in the spring of 1884, and purchased the old Bailey homestead, a property which was in a very dilapidated condition; but by labor, ingenuity and enterprise he has converted the house into a beautiful cottage of modern style, while the ground has been graded and terraced so as to make the residence and ground an object of both admiration and beauty to the passer-by. He was reared in Schuylkill county, Pa.; educated at Union Seminary, Union county, Pa., Cedar Hill Seminary, Mount Joy, Pa., and State Normal School of Bloomsburg, Pa., and then finished in the scientific course. Afterward he went into the office of Dr. H. D. Rentschler, one of the most eminent physicians in Schuylkill county, Pa., afterward attending Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. Finishing his education at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Baltimore, Md., where he was graduated, he began the practice of his profession in Columbia county, Pa., from which place he moved to LeRoy. When twenty-four years old he was married, at Mahanoy City, Pa., to Bella, daughter of John and Catherine Leitenberger, natives of Germany, and to them was born, May 5, 1886, one child , Carlyle. Dr. Charles A. Haines thoroughly understands his profession, and has a large practice. He is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and of seven other societies; also a prominent member of the County Medical Society. Politically, he is a Republican. When locating in Bradford county the Doctor had a hard and strong opposition to contend with, but now he has one of the largest country practices in Bradford county. He has a brother, Dr. John F. Haines, who is a practicing physician at Monroeton, Pa.
JOHN F. HAINES, Monroeton, was born in Allenton, January 26th, 1864, a son of Charles H. and Julia A. Haines, and is of French and German descent. He was reared in his native State, where he received a normal-school education. In 1875 he accepted a position with the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company as extra telegraph operator, and in 1877 he accepted a position at Phillipsburg, N. J., as telegraph operator for the Western Union Telegraph Company; a few months later he was promoted, and sent to New York by the same Company to work in their main office. In 1878 he left New York to accept a position for the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Company, so he could take up the study of medicine at the same time, devoting all his spare time in the study of medicine. In 1880 he received a position