History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
As telegraph operator for the Tide Water Pipe Line Company, at Tamanend, Pa., and while employed by that Company he received the first message sent over the Tide Water Pipe Line Company’s telegraph line, the message being sent by Mr. Eddy, of Mainville, Pa. In October, 1881, he attended the College of Physicians and Surgeons, corner of Calvert and Saratoga streets, Baltimore, Md., graduating in medicine in the spring of 1885. After standing a competitive examination, he was appointed resident physician and surgeon, for one year, in the Womans Hospital, and one year in the Surgical Department of the Bayview Hospital, and Asylum of Baltimore. In 1887 he located in LeRoy, this county, where he remained two years. In 1889 he removed to Monroeton, where he has already succeeded in building up a large practice, and where he has gained note as a skilled surgeon. Dr. Haines is a member of the Bradford County Medical Society, I.O.O.F. and P.O.S. of A. and politically he is a Republican.
MAJOR ELIAS W. HALE, a prominent citizen of Bradford county, Pa., was born December 13, 1816, in Towanda township, in the residence he now occupies, and is a son of Reuben and Wealthy (Tracy) Hale. His father, a son of Gideon Hale, was a native of Glastonbury, Conn., and settled in Towanda creek, of George Welles, and later bought lands adjoining, becoming an extensive property owner. On February 27, 1803, he married Wealthy, daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (Rogers) Tracy, and lived in a log house on his property until 1810, when he erected the residence now occupied by his son, Maj. Hale, in which he resided until his death, which occurred January 30, 1825. He was born February 6, 1777; in 1810 he was appointed the first postmaster at Towanda, and served on the first grand jury called in Bradford county, and was for several years a justice of the peace. Among his business enterprises, outside of his farming interests, he operated a distillery, grist and saw mill, and he was a man possessed of rare business judgment: in his day he was among the most prominent citizens of Bradford county. His wife, who was one of the first school teachers of Towanda, died April 12, 1854, aged seventy-five years; their children were: Eliza (Mrs. Gen. William Patton), Nancy (Mrs. Benjamin S. Spees), James T. ( an eminent jurist and congressman of note), Reuben W. And Elias W. The subject of this sketch was reared on the old homestead to which he succeeded by inheritance and purchase of the other heirs’ interests. He was educated in the common schools, and academy at Cazenovia, N.Y., followed engineering in the North Branch Canal in early manhood, has always been engaged in farming and for many years was prominently identified with the lumbering and milling interests of Bradford county. He is now the owner of a large number of stores and dwellings in Towanda; proprietor of a large planing mill and lumber yard, and erected and is the present owner of “Hale’s Opera House” and block in Towanda the opera house being the leading place of amusement in the borough. He has been a director of the First National Bank of Towanda since its organization; was appointed major in the militia of Gov. Porter, in 1850, and is popularly known as Maj. Hale. He was married, September 7, 1854, to Mary J., daughter
of Benjamin and Mary A. (Hale) Taylor, of Glastonbury, Conn., by whom he has five children living, as follows: Hon. James T. (a prominent attorney of Duluth, Minn.), Benjamin T. (also a member of the bar), Elias W., Jr., Jennie M. and Anne (Mrs. John W. Codding). In the census of Bradford county; in 1864 he was one of the electors on the ticket that elected Abraham Lincoln to the Presidency for a second tern; politically he has been a stanch Republican since the organization of the party, and in wealth and public spirit he is one of the present leading citizens of Bradford county.
DARIUS CUSTER HALL, KNOWN IS BUSINESS LIFE AS D.C. HALL, was in trade in Towanda between 1844 and 1865. His mother was Temperance Custer, a woman of great force of character who reached extreme longevity, she was the daughter of a Revolutionary soldier, and related to the branch of which the lamented General Custer came. His father John Hall, a cooper by trade, came to Pennsylvania from Delaware. He drew a pension and Landwarrant for his services in the War of 1812. It is not known whether this branch of Hall family was of English stock or from North Ireland. The father of John Hall, when in advanced years settled in Indiana, married a young wife and reared there a large family.
D.C. Hall was born in 1819 died in 1865. He had well learned the tinman’s trade, and his first partner in business was Mr. Hentz. For a short time after purchasing Hardware stock of Daniel Lord, the firm was Hall & Walker in the Barstow building, next to new Presbyterian Chapel on Court street. Afterward, Judge Russell came into the firm as Hall & Russell. This firm built the large building which burned in 1867, on site now occupied by Dye & Co. As Lameraux Hall & Russell, they had a foundry and stove business on the site of Eureka works. In 1860 D.C. Hall, with Col. J.F. Means and John McMahon run the line of mail caches from Tunkhannock to Waverly with a passenger packet line from Athens. Having purchased interest of Judge Russell in 1857, he sold out hardware business to John A. Codding and Judge Russell, who for years continued that business. As School Director, he was instrumental in building the School House, corner of Pine and Second, the first School building owned by the Directors under Act of 1854. His name appears among those who caused the purchase of the first fire apparatus in town. He was a man of energy, quick intuitions, active, genial and generous. Owing to sickness and a premature locating of a Hardware store at Dushore, Pa., he had reserves, but he was proud that he paid his debts. He was a believer in the truth of the Christian religion, a prominent member of the Masonic and other fraternities, and in politics a Jeffersonian Democrat. At an early age he married Elizabeth daughter of Elder Isaac Post, who then kept hotel on site of present Reporter Journal building. At his death, he left three children, Charles M., Stella (Mrs. J.L. Thurber) and Anna (Mrs. G.W. Bruce).
Charles M. Hall the elder at his father’s death had struck out in his young days for the better openings of the West, and was finely located on the South shore of the copper region of Lake Superior near
Ontonagon. Reaching home after his father’s death, he submitted to the duty of caring for his widowed mother and young sisters. After settlement of sister he married in 1882 Miss Van Buskirk of Tompkins county , N.Y., whose family were originally of Holland and Pennsylvania German ancestry, from Monroe county, Pa. His children are, Delos Custer, Chas. Sumner, and Cornelius. He was after disposing of wholesale Liquor business, which he did not find quite congenial, engaged with Codding & Russell in the hardware store which they had bought of D.C. Hall, and always received the highest wages even in his young days. After 1873 and the completion of the L.V.R.R. judging that the business had seen its best days in Towanda, he decided to practice law. He was admitted in 1877. In 1878 he was appointed a Magistrate with civil and criminal jurisdiction of Gov. Hartranft. He was twice afterward elected against the Caucus Regular Republican candidate by Independent voters. At this time he is Register of Wills, Recorder, and Clerk of Orphans Court. He was chosen on the Fusion ticket supported by both Democrats and Independent Republicans. Mr. Hall was a Republican until 1888, when he believed that the old war issues were settled, and that the Republican leaders were taking a new and unjustifiable extreme high-tariff position, not in line, with previous Republican policy and highly opposed to the interests of the country. He saw that the Mills bill was a good tariff with as much protection as the farmers, and wage-earners of the country, could afford to concede the wealthy nabobs who had been plucking the people. He saw that such Republicans as David Wilmot, Henry Wilson, Gen. Grant, President Arthur, Chas. Sumner, with E.O. Goodrich and the Bradford Reporter had for years favored a still lower tariff than the Mills bill. Believing that the infant industries required les protection now than fifty years ago, he followed his convictions, in a county of 4,200 Republican majority, and united himself to the Democratic party as the best promoter of reduced taxation and tariff reform, unterrified by the misapplied and unjust appellation of “Free Trade Hall.” He is a tariff reformer, but not as yet, a Free trader.
Mr. Hall received his quota of school education at the Susquehanna Col. Inst., which he left at the age of thirteen, then a good classical scholar. Such matters as German, French, Shorthand reporting, he learned himself as necessary or expedient. In the period between 1870 and 1875 when the Good Templars were active he was much interested and was the presiding officer of the County Lodge. As a temperance candidate for County Treasure he received the highest vote on the ticket.
Mr. Hall is one of a very few who have ever been elected to a County office, actually native of the borough of Towanda. H.L. Scott, Esq., was from the township, most officers credited to Towanda borough are those who have located there after election to some office.
H.J. HALLOCK, jeweler, Wyalusing. Among the self-made men of this county, the gentleman whose name heads this brief sketch is deserving of special mention. He was born November 19, 1848, a son of Eli R. and Mary (Jaques) Hallock. His father’s ancestors
were of English origin, and among the early emigrants to this country. Peter Hallock, the first of the family in the New World, came to Massachusetts in 1640, and was leader of the colony that came with him. His descendants have participated in all the wars of the Colonies, and afterward of the United States. Gen Halleck, so famous in the Civil War was of the same family, and many of them have acquired fame in the different professions. Eli R. Hallock was born in Orange county, N.Y., a son of Eli, Sr., and Mary Coleman, the former of whom was a shoemaker, and died in Wyoming county, November 30, 1879; his family consisted of seven children, six of whom are living. H.J. Hallock passed his boyhood in Northumberland and Meshoppen, receiving an academical education, and, being a close student, has acquired a store of knowledge superior in some branches to that of the average college graduate; completed the Chatauqua course and graduated from the same. When thirteen years old he was apprenticed to learn the wagon-maker’s trade, and served four years; then entered a store as a clerk, and served four years, after which he went into the employ of R.B. Camp, of Wyalusing , and with him began to learn the jewelry business; afterward was with James Searls, of Pittson, and then with John W. Tyler, of Scranton. In May, 1873, he began business for himself in Wyalusing borough, where he has since continued, and , by close attention and good business tact, has made his trade a complete success. He carries lines of goods as extensive as is to be found in most city establishments of the same kind, and as a skillful workman he has no superior in the county. His beautiful store-room at the corner of Main and Church streets is well stocked with watches, clocks, jewelry, silverware, spectacles, opera glasses and musical instruments, guns, revolvers, ammunition, etc.; his first stock amounted to but $150, but he now carries thousands of dollars’ worth, and his trade is constantly increasing. He owns the building in which his store-room is located, as well as his beautiful residence on Front street, which is excelled by none in the county for beauty of architecture, elegance of finish and conveniences; it is heated on the three floors by hot air, and has hot and cold water on the first and second floors. Mr. Hallock was united in wedlock, September 29, 1875, with Susie Dodge, daughter of “Squire” John F. Dodge, of Terrytown, and malissa (Elliott) Dodge; of a family of six children, she is the fifth. This union was blest with two children: One that died in infancy, and Lelia M. Mr. And Mrs. Hallock are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church , of Wyalusing, of which he is trustee, steward and treasurer; he is a charter member of White Lilly Lodge, I.O.O.F., No. 808, and was the third N.G. of the Lodge; he was a representative to the Grand Lodge in 1875-76, and again in 1890; was elected secretary of the Lodge in 1877, and has helld that office since. He is an active Democrat, and hs filled various town and borough offices. Mr. And Mrs Hallock are among the most active workers in all church and benevolent enterprises of the section and their doors are always open to any society for the advancement of their fellow mortals.
J.S. HAMAKER, editor of the Rocket, was born in Columbia, Lancaster Co., Pa., and is the fourth child and second son of Henry R. and Ann E. (Ziegler) Hamaker, natives of the same place. His father was a lumber manufacturer, and had a family of nine children -- five sons and four daughters. His oldest brother died in April 1891; of the other three, A. C., of Philadelphia, is general agent of the Nickel Plate R.R. Co.,; Charles F. is a book-keeper in Philadelphia, and Walter S., of Philadelphia, is a commercial salesman. Of his siters, two are dead; Mary E. is the wife of Charles P. Arnold, a clerk, of Reading, and Julia C. is the wife of William P. Rowe, a pharmacist of Reading. Mr. Hamaker had only limited advantages of a common-school education. In his twelfth year, 1868, he commenced to learn the printing trade, in the Reading Times office, and completed his typographical education in 1872. He almost immediately left his home in Reading, and went first to the coal regions of Pennsylvania, where he worked for a short time; thence to New York City where he was employed at book and job printing. From there he went South, and worked in Georgia for a while, returned to Pennsylvania, in 1873, and was employed at his trade is several States until 1877, when he went to South Carolina and became engaged in the mercantile and lumber business on the Big Pedee river, and was there until the fall of 1878, when he returned North to recuperate from a severe attack of fever. He remained in Reading until the spring of 1879, when he went to Towanda, Bradford Co., Pa., and took charge of the mechanical work of the Bradford Republican. He remained with this paper until 182, when in April of that year, he went to Spartanburg, S.C., and became superintendent and assistant editor of the Spartan; but returned North the same year, and took charge of the Journal, published at Palmyra, B.Y.; in 1863 he returned to Towanda and clerked in a furniture store for a time; then went to Rome, Ga., where secured a half-interest in the Courier, job office. In January, 1884, he returned to Towanda, and became engaged on the Bradford Reporter, and remained after the combination of the Reporter and Journal until September, 1888, when he purchased the Wyalusing Rocket, of C.A. Stowell. Under his administration the business has increased greatly, and the paper has a very substantial circulation. After moving his office to the Larkin building, in October, 1890, Mr. Hamaker opened a stationery store also. He was united in wedlock, December 31, 1883, with Anna Laurie, Daughter of Seymour Smith, of Towanda, and they have one child, Frances, born March 3, 1887. In his political views Mr. Hamaker is Independent, having allied himself to no party. Mr. And Mrs. Hamaker occupy a high position among the people of Wyalusing. Mrs. Hamaker is a soprano singer with a wide reputation.
AARON HAMM, foreman L.V.R.R. blacksmith shops, at Sayre, is a native of Passaic, N.J., born June 19, 1843, and is a son of John and Gertrude (Caldwell) Hamm, natives of France, who immigrated to Passaic county, N.J., in 1823. The father, who was a tailor, died in New Jersey in 1851, in his forty-fifth year; the mother died in June, 1877, in her sixty-seventh year. Aaron, who is the fourth in a family
of seven children, were reared in his native place, receiving a common-school education, and began an apprenticeship at the blacksmith’s trade. After working a short time, he enlisted for nine months, in September, 1862, in Company K. Twenty-fifth Regiment, N.J.V.I., and was in the battle of Fredericksburg, under Gen. Burnsides, and in the battle of Suffolk. He was mustered out at the expiration of his term, them went to Scranton and finished his trade at the end of four years; then moved to Kingston and Wikes-Barre, when he worked two years; then worked at his trade in the following places: Rhode Island, Patterson, Susquehanna county, Corry and Passaic; remained in Passaic about four years, and came from there to Sayre, September 19, 1875, and went to work in the railroad blacksmith shop at the junction; following year he was promoted to foreman, a position he has held since. He was married in Patterson, N.J., in 1867, to Miss Mary, daughter of Martin and Mary (Courdad) Bowman, natives of France; she is the fourth in a family of eight children, and was born in France, November 11, 1844. To Mr. And Mrs. Hamm were born seven children, viz.; John, Emma, George, Charlie, Gertrude, Mary and Joseph. The family are members of the Roman catholic Church. He is a member of the following beneficial organizations: Iron Hall, Golden Circle, Provident Life, C.A. and B.A., Sexennial League, and of the G.A.R., Hartranft Post, No. 7, of Passaic, and in politics he is a Democrat.
A.C. HAMMERLY, farmer, P.O. Camptown, was born in Wurtemberg, Germany, July 9, 1842, a son of Jacob and Mary (Blocher) Hammerly. His mother’s family came to this country over fifty years ago, and after his father’s death, which occurred when he was eight years of age, his mother came to join her people here, and he was sent to an orphans’ school in Switzerland. After a short period spent in that school he was apprenticed to learn the trade of brush-making; he remained with his master eighteen months, and then came to America to join his mother and her family, being then seventeen years old. His parents had a family of eight children, viz: Frederick, a mechanic in the employ of Mason & Hamlin, the celebrated organ manufacturers of, Chicago; Martin, of Chicago; George, farmer of Iowa; Jacob, who died in the army; Michael, who died in LeRaysville in 1887; John, farmer of Iowa; Kate married to Frank Nichols, of Kansas, and A.C. The subject of this sketch reached Herrick, where his parents then resided, and worked for a short time on a farm, then worked in the tannery of Snell& Saylor, of Potterville. On August 7, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Forty-first Pennsylvania Volunteers, and served until May 28, 1865, when he was discharged at the close of the war; he participated in the battles of Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, where he was captured and was confined twenty-eight days in Libby prison; he was then paroled, sent to Purcell Camp in Annapolis, Md., and from there came home, walking the entire distance; in the fall he was exchanged and rejoined his regiment at Brandy Station, Va., and was in the battles of the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, ColdHarbor, North Anna, Seige of Petersburg, and at Appomattox at Lee’s surrender. After his return
From the army he worked for Mr. Conover in a tannery one year, then purchased his present property and built a tannery which he operated until 1880, when it was destroyed by fire; he then built a steam-cider mill with a capacity of from eighty to one hundred barrels a day, which he still operates. He made his home in the township, with the exception of the years 1888 and 1889, which he spent in New York. Besides his cider-mill, which he operates through the season, he has a small farm. He was married, February 21, 1866, to Sophia Armstrong, daughter of David Armstrong of Herrick; this union has been blessed with three children: William D., Mamie B., and Myrtie L. Mr. and Mrs. Hammerly are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Camptown; he is a member of Hurst Post, No. 86, G.A.R.; also of Wyalusing Lodge, No. 503, I.O.O.F, and has taken all subordinate degrees, is past grand, and a member of Grand Lodge; he is Republican in politics.
CHARLES N. HAMMOND, physician, Bentley Creek, was born August 17, 1848, in Leroy township, this county, a son of John G. and Salome (Lamb) Hammond, farmers of the same township, former born near Elmira, N.Y., of English origin, and the latter born in Vermont, of Scotch-Irish lineage. The great-grandfather and his brother, Lebius Hammond, were among the pioneers of the Chemung valley, and the latter was the celebrated Indian fighter in Revolutionary times, whose deeds and exploits are mentioned in the “Annals of Binghamton.” The grandfather, John Hammond, was a pioneer of Tioga county, Pa., at Elkland, and was known as “Uncle John.” He was blind for forty years, the result of an accident. The celebrated Dr. William A. Hammond is also a relative of this family. The maternal grandfather, James Lamb, was one of the first settlers of this county at Troy, coming from Vermont about 1815. Charles N. Hammond was reared on his father’s farm in Leroy township and was educated in the village schools of that township, and Elkland, Pa. At the age of eighteen he began teaching, in which hw continued thirteen terms, when he engaged as a traveling salesman, and studied medicine at the same time. He attended lectures, one year, at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, of Baltimore, and finished his course at the University of New York, where he was graduated in the spring of 1887; was associated a short time at Canton with Dr. W.S. Lewis, and in the spring of 1888 located at Bentley Creek where he has since enjoyed an extensive and lucrative practice. The Doctor opened a drug store in the spring of 1891. He was married, September 25, 1872, to L. Celia Wilcox, of LeRoy, born September 25, 1852, a daughter of O. Lewis and Mary A. (Tillotson) Wilcox, whose family were among the early settlers of the township; her maternal grandfather was a Revolutionary soldier. Dr. and Mrs. Hammond have had born to them two daughters: Emma S., born June 18, 1875; and Josie W., born May 4, 1878. He is vice-president of the County Medical Society, and a member of the State and American Medical Associations. Politically he is a Republican.
RICHARD S. HANKINSON, farmer, of Herrick township, P.O. Rummerfield, was born in Sussex county, N.J., July 25, 1841. His
Father, William Hankinson, was born in Sussex county, N.J., November 9, 1812, and his grandfather, Aaron Hankinson, also a native of New Jersey, and a farmer, married Mary Wolf, and they had six children as follows: John, Joseph, William, Margaret (wife of James Case), Catherine (wife of John Silverthorn) and Robert. William Hankinson attended school until his fourteenth year, and at eighteen began for himself and worked on a farm in New Jersey until 1847, when he came to this county, and began farming. In 1865, in company with his son, Jacob S., he purchased seventy acres of land of Isaac Vosburg; in 1868 he sold his interest to Jacob, and purchased seventy acres in Rome township, and in 1882 he sold this to his son Alfred L., and daughter Elizabeth, with whom he lived until 1886, since which time he has lived with his son, Richard. He married in 1837, Charity, daughter of Rodolphus Schoonover, and they had eleven children, viz.:Mary Ann, deceased; Martha J., wife of S.A. Smith; Richard S.; Obediah P.; Jacob S.; Rodie M., wife of C. Dummer; Elizabeth E.; Melissa A.; John; Alfred L. and Sarah C. Mrs. Hankinson died July 10, 1889.
Richard S. Hankinson attended school in Standing Stone, Wysox and Camptown until he was twenty-one years. In October, 1862, he was drafted into Company D, One Hundred and Seventy-first P.V.I., and went ot Harrisburg, then to Washington , then to Suffolk, Va., and was employed at the latter place as reserve, five weeks; then went to Harris Landing, and on a transport to New Berne, N.C., where he remained until April 1, 1863; then was sent to Little Washington, N.C., and remained there until the latter part of June. While there he had an atackof typhoid malaria, was in the hospital, and never recovered until discharged; but when his command left there he went through with them, though still very weak , and when they arrived at Fortress Monroe, July 2, his command was ordered to intercept the rebels, retreating from Gettysburg, he was obliged to remain in the hospital three weeks, and was sent to Baltimore, and from there to Harrisburg, where he was mustered out, August 8, 1863. While in the service he contracted chronic diarrhea, from which he has never fully recovered. After returning home he was an invalid two months, then went to Elk county, and worked in the lumber mills two years; then purchased sixty-seven acres of land, and in 1870 purchased from George Dixon, seventeen and one-half acres, and in 1884, forty acres, making a total of 124 acres, and built his house in 1876, and an addition in 1883. He was school director from 1877 to 1888, is a member of the Presbyterian Church, and of Hurst Post, No. 86, G.A.R., and White Lilly Lodge, No. 808, I.O.O.F., and in politics is a Democrat. In 1865 he married Harriet, daughter of William and Caroline (Hallock) Hillis, the second of a family of six children and they have had seven children: Eldest died in infancy; Mary C. (wife of E. Patten), Annie (died in infancy), Rosie B., Edward R., Bertha (deceased) and Gladdis.
JAMES J. HANNON, hotel proprietor, Overton, is a native of Ireland, born March 3, 1844, a son of James and Honora (Hall) Hannon, of County Limerick. The family came to America in the
year 1850, and first settled in Owego, N.Y., and afterward, in 1852, removed to Towanda, in this county, and this was their home during the remainder of their lives. The father was a quiet day laborer, noted for his industry and frugality. He departed this life march 19, 1890; his good wife and helpmeet had preceded him to the grave, May 13, 1880. They had reared a family of six children, of whom James J. was the eldest, and was nearly seven years of age when he came to this country with his parents. He had but slight school advantages in his young boyhood, and at a tender age assisted more or less in helping support the family. When he struck out in the world for himself, he commenced driving stage coach on the route from Towanda to Troy, and was at this employ four years, when he was offered and accepted a position with the Barclay Coal Company as handler of live stock, a position of responsibility in which he remained the next nine years. By faithful work and severe economy, at the end of the time he had saved enough to start in life on his own account, and he removed to Overton and engaged in farming, and now possesses fifty-three acres of well-improved farm land. In 1877 he built his hotel in the village, which he now manages in conjunction with his farm. J.J. Hannon and Mary E. Sullivan were united in marriage, November 20, 1867; she is the daughter of John and Catherine Sullivan, who came to America from Ireland in 1835, and located in Towanda. Their children are: John, born June 20, 1869, died Marc 27, 1875; Mary, born July 28, 1870; Eddie J., born September 9, 1873; Kite, born July 6, 1875; Ella, born August 14, 1877, died in infancy; and Margaret, born June 2, 1879. The family are Roman Catholics in faith and practice and are widely respected, and have many and warm friends. Mr. Hannon is a Democrat, and is accounted one of the leading and influential citizens of his township.
PATRICK J. HANNON, farmer, Warren township, P.O. Cadis, is a native of County Sligo, Ireland, born August 15, 1846, to Patrick and Margaret (Dyer) Hannon, natives of the same place. The family came to America in 1851, first locating in Rhode Island, and then in 1859 removed to this county, settling in Warren township; the father died December 20, 1875, and the mother March 3, 1878; in their family there were six children: John died in infancy in 1846, in Ireland, and james died in Rhode Island in 1852, aged fourteen; the yet living are Mary (Mrs. Patrick Ryan, of Owego, a widow with three children, her husband having died in 1889), Michael, married to Mary Taylor and resided in Warren township, died in 1881, and left a widow and seven children (their daughter Mary died in 1890, aged twenty-two) and Patrick J. Our subject grew to manhood in Warren township and became a successful farmer and stock-grower. He received a small property by inheritance, but has mostly made by his own efforts, and is the owner of, 165 acres of farm land, highly improved and well stocked with elegant farm buildings of all kinds. He was married in Susquehanna county, April 14, 1868, to Bridget, daughter of Owen and Susan (Gilhooly) McDonaugh, natives of Sligo, Ireland, who came to this country when young and reared eight chil-
dren of whom Bridget was the fourth. By this marriage there was one child, William P., whose mother died when he was six day sold, March 26, 1869. Mr. Hannon married, the second time, in 1872, Margaret M., daughter of Owen and Elizabeth (Gillorn) Hannon, of Roscommon, Ireland, and by this marriage he had six children as follows: Mary E., Josephine C. (died in 1880, aged three years), Margaret B., Francis J., James P., and John M. The family are exemplary members of the Catholic Church, and in politics Mr. Hannon is a Democrat.
HON. STEPHEN D. HARKNESS, farmer, P.O. Springfield, was born January 31, 1823, in Springfield township, this county, a son of James and Martha (McClellan) Harkness, the former a native of Delaware county, N.Y., who removed to this township when fifteen years of age with his father. The grandfather of Stephen was a William Harkness, a Revolutionary soldier, and among the earliest settlers in the township; he purchased a possession of 300 acres, of which Stephen and his son now own 250 acres. Stephen D. was the youngest of the family of four children, and was reared on his father’s farm and educated in the school of the township; he has been a farmer. October 29, 1846, he married Eliza, daughter of Woodward and Rhoda (Cass) Berry, and they have two children, as follows: Theressa O., born November 21, 1850, married to Willard A. Brown, of Springfield, and Edson D., born August 28, 1855, married to Blanche Brace, and lives on a part of the original homestead. Mr. Harkness has always been a stanch Republican, and takes an active interest in political affairs; he was first constable, then justice of the peace five years, and in 1881 was elected treasurer of the county, served one term, and was immediately elected associate judge, in which position he served the county five years; in the fall of 1878 was elected to the State Legislature, and served one term with honor. He is a member of the Free Masons and also of the I.O.O.F. Judge Harkness is a man much respected by a large circle of friends. Mrs. Harkness’ family were settlers in Springfield township at a very early day; she is a consistent member of the Baptist Church.
STEPHEN B. HARLOW, farmer, P.O. Wysox, was born in Monroe, Orange Co., N.Y., February 20, 1826, and is the only child of John B. and Elizabeth (King) Harlow, natives of New York, and of French origin. He came to Bradford county in 1847, and located on his present home, taking up fifty acres on which there was a log house and a small clearing, made by Joseph Lent; Mr. Harlow has since added 100 acres to his first farm, and it has all been placed under an excellent state of cultivation. He was married, December 24, 1850, to Celestia, daughter of John and Zueba (Rowley) Allen, natives of Connecticut and of New England lineage; they have one child, Celinda A., born February 27m 1852, married to Bradford C. Webb, who is engaged on the farm with Mr. Harlow. To Mr. and Mrs. Webb have been born three children: Harlow, born April 5, 1875; Susan, born march 29, 1878, died October 19, 1886; and Ralph, born October 13, 1887. Mr. Harlow is a very zealous advocate of Democracy, has held the offices of commissioner and assessor.