History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
If You Have Photos of People Mentioned on the Page, Send Them In For Inclusion
ELIJAH ALLIGER, proprietor of livery, Ulster, was born in Ulster county, N. Y., June 20, 1830, son of Cornelia and Jane B (Depuy) Alliger, natives of New York, of Dutch descent. The father's family consisted of nine children, seven of whom are still living, two only being residents of this county. Our subject was born and reared on a farm, and received Ills early education in the schools of New York. He immigrated to this county in 1870, and followed butchering twelve years, then removed to Waverly where he farmed two years, when he returned to Sheshequin and farmed four years; then removed from there to Ulster where he resides, and is proprietor of the only livery and feed stable in the village. He has been successful in his business, accumulating his property entirely by his own exertions. On January 9, 1853, he was married to Phoebe I., daughter of' Henry and Rebecca (Batie) Ostrum, and of this marriage there were six children, two now living: Cornelius AV., married to Catherine Wolf, of Ulster, and engaged in the grocery business and the manufacture of cigars, and John, who lives in Waverly, N. Y., and is farming. Mr. Alliger is a member the Dutch Reformed Church, and in politics belongs to the -Democratic party.
CHARLES IT. ALLIS, merchant, P. O. Allis Hollow, was born in Wysox, this county, Jan uary 19, 1858, and is a son of Henry S. and Mary E. (Dresser) Allis, the former a farmer of Wysox township. They had four children, viz.: John, died in infancy ; Elizabeth, married to Frank Wood; Charles IT.; and Margaret, married to George Allen. Mr. Allis was born and reared oil a farm and had but limited school privileges. He attended the Rome Academy, and when eighteen began teaching and worked his way through the Towanda Graded School, teaching tell terms, when he devoted his entire attention to farming until 1888, when he commenced merchandising. He was alone one year and then was associated with Mr. Wood for about four months, when he sold his interest to him. In the following spring he erected the building he now occupies and opened a general store, carrying a complete line of general merchandise valued at $1,500; also buys and ships all kinds of farm produce. Mr. Allis was united in marriage January 1, 1884, with Flora, daughter of Capt. 1. A. and Malissa (Merricle) Park, parents of eleven children, of whom she is the ninth. This union has been blessed with four children, as follows: Manly, born December 30, 1886 ; Mabel, born July 9, 1888, died June 9, 1891, loved by all who knew her ; Stanley, born November 26, 1889, and Aura, born April 15, 1891. Mr. Allis is a Democrat and was postmaster at Allis Hollow from 1888 to 1890. In his business career be has always been successful, and is respected and trusted by all who know him.EDWIN 1. ALLIS, farmer and mill owner, P. 0. South Hill, was born in Orwell, this county, June 25, 1821, and is a son of Eleazer, Jr., and Diana (Eastabrooks) Allis, the former of whom, a son or Eleazer Allis, Sr., was born in Massachusetts in 1789, and came to this county with Ills father in 1804, locating on Johnson's creek near what is now known as Allis Hollow, and made the improvement that is still in the possession of his descendants. Eleazer Allis, Sr., was three times married, and was the father of twenty-one children, six by his first marriage, three b the second, and twelve by the third and last, all of whom, asH1STORY 0F BRADFORD COUNTY.far as known, reached their majority. Eleazer, Jr., was the second child by the first marriage. The farm Mr. Allis now owns was owned by his father, who purchased and cleared nearly the whole of three hundred and seventy acres, over sixty-six years ago, and built the old frame house I which yet stands in a fair state of preservation, now owned by Thomas R. Pickering, and occupied by Alonzo Wells. He followed farming and lumbering all his life - his family consisted of four children, of whom Mariam married Harry Stevens, and is now deceased
Ordensa married T. R. Pickering, and is also dead. Mr. Allis is the eldest, and is now the only living member of the family. He was born and reared within one-half of a mile of his present residence, and attended the common schools of the neighborhood, until nineteen years of age; then began teaching, and taught his first school at what was then called "Shin Bone," known now as Lear's Corners, one mile west of Herrickville, in a log schoolhouse, 12x16, heated by the old fashioned, wide fire-place; then carried on farming and lumbering three years. after which he purchased a stock of goods and for about two years he followed peddling, carrying his pack on his back from house to house, meeting with good success. He then purchased of his father the place he now owns when it was nearly a wilderness, and has cleared it up, and fitted the greater portion of it for the plow. He and his father built a sawmill, operated by water-power, On. South creek, and used it to saw their lumber until 1883, when he built his steam mill, which he still owns. He now owns two hundred and twent y acres of fine farm land, and has the same well stocked with cattle, sheep and horses. He also has a lath saw, and manufactures bee hives. Mr. Allis was united in marria ge October 30, 1 859, with Lavina Hill, and to them have been born six children, as follows: Erving, married to Julia Schovill ; Ned Hunter, married to Augusta daughter of James Mitten; Mary, married to B. F. Richards, a merchant, of Windham ; George Grant, married to Elma Mericle; Frank It.. an(] May. Mr. Allis built his present residence in 1887, a modern farm house with all conveniences, containing eleven rooms. He has lived his entire life in his neighborhood, and he and his excellent wife have built up a large circle of friends, and are noted far and near for their generosity and hospitality.
GEORGE R. ALLIS, farmer and mechanic, P. 0. Allis Hollow, was born in Orwell, this county, and is a son of Ezra R. and Margaret (Wickhizer) Allis. His grand fattier, Eleazer Allis, came to this county from Connecticut, being among the early pi oneers, and reared a family of fourteen children all of whom lived to a ripe old age ; his maternal ,grandfather, Jacob Wickhizer, came to this county from near Wilkes Barre, and was one of the first to settle in what is now Rome Township; he reared a family of twelve children who, with one exception, reached a good age. Ezra R. Allis, who was a farmer, had,, family of six children, viz.: AV. W., who went to Nebraska, and there died August 7, 1890; J. H., a blacksmith ; Mariam, married to Joseph Allen, of Rome ; George R. ; Helen, married to George Forbes ; and Frankie, who died in infancy. George R. Allis passed his boyhood on the farm he now occupies, and attended the district school until March 31, 1864,
596 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
when he enlisted in Company D, Seventeenth Pennsylvania Cavalry (He had been previously rejected is a minor). With his command he participated in the engagements of Cold Harbor, Pavilion Station, Deep Bottom, the raid up the Shenandoah, Winchester (Sept. 19, 1864), where his horse was shot from tinder him, Cedar Creek and Gordonsville. He saw much and severe service; was sent to Dis- Camp, at Harper's Ferry, in the spring of 1865, and received his discharge at, Louisville, Ky in August same year. Prior to the war Mr. A Ills hall learned the wagon maker's trade, and after returning from the, army he commenced to work at it. He was In Martinsburg, West Va., in 1884-85. He has been twice married. first time, November 29, 1870, to A., daughter of Isaac Lyons, a prominent, farmer of Orwell Township, and this union was blessed with three children, viz.: Minerva, Nina M. and George P. This wife died December 24, 1885, and June 4, 1890, Mr. Allis was married to Mrs. Emily Jones, a widow. Air. Allis is a member of Stevens Post, No. 69, G. ,k. 11 1; ill politics he is a Republican, and has held the offices of school director and postmaster.
H. C. ALLIS, farmer and stock grower, of Orwell township, 1'. 0. Allis Hollow, was born March 24, 1855, on the farm he occupies, and is a son of Silas and Margaret (Lent) Allis, both natives of this county. His grandfather was Eleazer Allis. Silas Allis was born March 14, 1794, and lived his entire life in Orwell township, and at the time of his death owned about two hundred acres or land. The farm which the grandfather settled on Is still in the family, and the first cabin built thereon stood opposite the present, residence of Charles Allis. H. C. and 11. K. Allis own the larger portion of the tract, which they have improved since their father's death. In the family of Silas and Margaret Allis were children as follow,,: Henrietta (wife of Harry Parks), Shuburn, 11. K., Hester R. (married Corydon Thayer); H. C., and Hester, died in infancy. 11. C. Allis was born and reared on a farm, and received his education in the common school. On reaching his majority he be-an farming and now owns one hundred acres of well-improved land, where he keeps a dairy and does general farming also does an extensive poultry business, shipping (Tressed fowls to the eastern markets. He was united in marriage, March 24, 1868, with Pluma, daughter of Dan and Lucy (Howe) Robinson, and to them have been born children as follows: Norman L., Cora A., Clara L., Lewis E., Leman (deceased) and Burt. Mr. Allis is a Prohibitionist, and has held various town offices. He has lived always in the neighborhood of Allis Hollow, where he has drawn about him an extensive circle of friends and neighbors, and commands the esteem and respect of all.
1. AM ALLIS. druggist, Wyalusing, born in Orwell township, this county, August 8, 18.50, is a son of Edwin Allis. he was educated in the common schools and the Collegiate Institute, and followed the profession of teaching about five years. During that time 'he had studied pharmacy, and in 1872 came to Wyalusing and purchased the drugstore and embarked at once in the mercantile world as a druggist. In his business he has been eminently successful, and has run it with out the assistance of a clerk ; with the exception of burning out once,
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY. 597
he has prospered without interruption. He was united in wedlock with Julia L. Scoville, of Wyalusing, and to them has been given one child, Scoville, born September 10, 1883. The family are members of the Presbyterian Church, and politically Mr. Allis is identified with the Republican party, taking an active interest in the good of his party. The family built the brick building occupied by Stienback's furniture store, in 1889, and still own the same. Mr. Allis has a beautiful modern residence which he built in 1885.
N. H. ALLIS, Wyalusing, was born April 6, 18,55, a son of E. I. Allis, of Orwell, was reared on a farm, and received his education in the common schools and at the Collegiate Institute, Towanda. He taught school five or six terms, beginning when twentv-two years of age, and combined teaching with farming until 1886, when he entered the Ontario College of Veterinary Surgery, Toronto, Canada, and was graduated from there in March, 18SS ; then came direct to Wyalusing, and began the practice of his profession, carrying on a livery stable in connection with same. Mr. Allis was united in marriage, September 20, 1888, with Augusta daughter of James and Eiliza J. (Crawford) Mitten, of Herrick township, this county; of a family of eleven children she is the ninth. In politics Mr. Allis has identified himself with the Democratic party, and has filled various town and borough offices. In his profession he has been eminently successful, and being thoroughly read has an extensive practice.
J. S. ALLYN, funeral director, Towanda, was born in Warren township, this county, October 1831, a son of Seneca and Betsy (Pendleton) Allyn, natives or Massachusetts and Connecticut, respectively. His father settled in Warren township about 1810, where he cleared and improved a farm on which he resided until his death ; he -was the father of twelve children, six of whom grew to maturity as follows: Jonathan W., Charles H., Jacob S., Edwin E., Joanna and Caroline. J. S. Allyn was reared in his native township where he received a common-school education. After attaining his majority he engaged in framing until 1864, when he removed to Towanda, where, successively, he engaged in the restaurant, bakery, livery, furniture and undertaking businesses, embarking in the latter in 1872, in which he still continues, being the oldest established undertaker in Towanda.
He married, in 1858, Sarah, daughter of Caleb and Rebecca (Goff) Abell, of Warren township. He is a member of the K. of H., and in politics is a Republican.
THOMAS B. ALLYN, farmer, a native of Warren township, this county, born July 8, 1837, a son of Benajah and Nancy (Abell) Allyn, natives of Rhode Island, and of English stock, who came to this county in 1825, and located in Warren township ; the father remained on his farm until his death in 1847, his widow dying in 1864. They had six children, as follows: Henry C.; Caleb A., died in 1867; Benijah, of New York; Nancy, (Mrs. James Whitaker); Albert A. and Thomas B. Our subject, who is fifth in the order of birth, commenced life on his own account as a farmer, and has five hundred acres, one of the valuable farms of the county. He was married in Warren township, in 1864, to Sarah M., daughter of Nathan and Cynthia (Buffing
598 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
ton) Pendleton, natives of Connecticut and of remote English ancestry; they had an interesting family of six children, and of these, Sarah M., the youngest, was reared in the family in Warren township, where she grew to womanhood, was educated and married ; she died April 9, 1881. Of this happy marriage union were born four children, of whom Benijah N., the eldest, married Alice Rockafeller, and they have one child. Mr. Allyn and family are highly regarded by many of the leading citizens. He is noted for his integrity in business, his industry, and his broad and generous charity. He has prospered in life, and is surrounded with a happy and loving family; great rewards that the whole tenor of his days have so richly merited.
STEPHEN WILBUR ALVORD was born in the township of Troy, Bradford Co., Pa., April 10, 1837. His father, Royal S. Alvord, was born in Bennington, Vt., and his mother, Jemima (Hugg), was born near Spencer, N. Y. Stephen W. was the third child of a family of thirteen. After attending the district schools, at the age of fourteen he commenced learning the printing business in the Trojan office, Troy, Pa. Two years later he went to Towanda and completed his trade in the office of the Bradford Argus. For several years he was employed as foreman, and in June, 1860, was admitted as a partner in the establishment. On account of political differences, he retired from the Argus in the fall of 1862; afterward published the Reporter for about fifteen years. In 1857 he established a separate local department in the Argus, which was a 11 new departure " for country papers at that time. he was appointed postmaster of Towanda on the 8th of March, 1861, and held the office for eighteen years. Mr. Alvord has always taken an active part in temperance work, and has never tasted liquor as a beverage, or tobacco. He served as school director of Towanda borough for twelve years. He established the _Daily Review in connection with his son, Noble N. Alvord, in August, 1879, and published it for several years. In 1885 be removed to Minneapolis and purchased the Commercial Bulletin, the organ of the Board of Trade and Jobbers' Association. Returning to the East in 1888, in February, 1889, he commenced the publication of the -Daily News. At the close of the past year he changed it to a weekly edition, which has been very successful. Mr. Alvord was married February 27, 1860, to Miss Emma Barber, and four children have been born, all living.
JEREMIAH ANDERSON, farmer, of Herrick township, P. 0. Herrickville, was born in Monroe county, Pa., January 6. 1831. Joseph Anderson was born in Northampton county, Pa., October 28, 1'198; he married Maria, daughter of John and Catherine (Brutzman) Casabeer.
Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Anderson were the parents of two children: John
J., a farmer in Chesterfield county, Va., and Jeremiah. Joseph Anderson
died April 11, 1832; his widow afterward married Jonas Lear, by whom she
had one child William H. Lear, of Herrickville Mrs. Lear died in February,
1888. Jeremiah Anderson, attended the district schools in Monroe county
until his twentieth year, also working on the farm. In 1854 he began for
himself by purchasing one hundred acres, later adding fifty-five acres
and in 1856 thirty acres. In 1857 he erected his barn, and in 1871 his
dwelling; he has served as school
L. J. ANDRESS, superinten dent of the Minnequa Springs, Alba,This gentleman was born December 25, 1815, in Washington countyN. Y. His parents, William and Lida (Towner) Andress, were nativesof Washington and Cortland counties, N. Y., respectively. William Andress was a blacksmith by trade, and worked at the making of edge tools; he was a soldier in the War of 1812, and died in Alba in 1887 at the advanced age of one hundred years and three months. Timothy Andress, the grandfather of our subject, served throughout the Revolutionary War (almost seven years), and died in Cortland county, N. Y., in his ninety-sixth year. L. J. Andress. who is the second in order of birth in a family of four children, when he was quite young removed with the family from Washington county to Lindleyville, Tompkins Co., N. Y. In 1832 he went to Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and started the first foundry there for A. C. Laning, and remained there until 1840; then went to Ithaca, was there one year, then in 1841 he removed to Alba and engaged in the foundry business for himself five years. Then moved to Athens and started a foundry under the firm name of Shipman, Andress & Backus, remaining two years, at the end of which time he returned to Alba and engaged in mercantile business, in which he continued a number of years; also followed farming and dealing in real estate. He retired from the mercantile business, and was afterward appointed superintendent of the Minnequa Springs, a position he has since held. He was married in 1841, in Alba, to Maria E., (laughter of Col. Irad and Sally (Elliott) Wilson, natives of Vermont, the former of whom was a farmer. Col. Irad Wilson served three years as county commissioner, and two terms in the State Legislature. Mrs. Andress was born in Alba in 1820, and is the eldest of a family of thirteen children. To Mr. and Mrs. Andress have been born children as follows: Lida, wife of Columbus Palmer, resides in Jewell county, Kan.; Phillip (deceased) and William, married to Gertrude Lilley. Mrs. Andress is the oldest member living of the Disciple Church of Alba, having been a member of that church since 1836. Mr. Andress -was the first member of the Canton Lodge of I. 0. 0. F. ; has served thirteen years as postmaster of Alba, was appointed deputy the year Cleveland was elected, and held the position one year; he has held the office of postmaster at Minnequa the last five years; politically Mr. Andress is a Republican.
600 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
W. H. ANDREWS, farmer, P. 0. Fassett, was born in Southport, Chemung Co., N. Y., July 13, 1845, a son of T. A. and Caroline (Rice) Andrews, the former of whom was born in Delaware county, N.Y.) the latter in Tioga county, Pa. T. A. Andrews was the son of Thomas Andrews who came to this county, locating in Columbia township about the year 1841, stayed but a few years and then removed to Tioga county, Pa., where he engaged in farming and remained until his death which occurred in 1875, when he was aged eighty-four years. After his father's death T. A. removed to Chemung county, N. Y., but remained there only a few years when he returned to Tioga county, Pa., and purchased two farms of eighty acres each, which be partially cleared and cultivated ; was also extensively engaged in the manufacture of lumber. Here he remained about thirty years, and then moved to Austinville, where be kept a hotel several years ; then went to within one mile west of Fasset, where he bought another farm, and here died in 1884, at the acre of sixty-eight years, respected by his friends and neighbors. He had held the offices of supervisor in Tioga county, seventeen years, and commissioner in the South Creek township, five years, which position he occupied at the time of his death. He served in Company E, Eighty-sixth New York Volunteer Infantry, eighteen months during the Civil War, receiving an honorable discharge for disabilities. He reared a family of two children, both of whom are living, our subject being the eldest in the family. W. H. Andrews was reared and educated in Tioga county, Pa., and in early life he worked at the carpenter's trade. At the age of sixteen be joined Company E, Eighty-sixth Now York Volunteer Infantry, three years' service, was promoted to the rank of sergeant, and was discharged as such at the expiration of his term. Again enlisting in the same company be was subsequently transferred to Company G, Twentieth Veteran Reserves, in which be served until the close of the war, being honorably discharged as sergeant, and now enjoys a pension. On December 24, 1869, be married Angeline, daughter of Peter Spotts, and they had born to them three children, two of whom are living: Oliver H. (married to Adelia Farr) and Alden B. Mr. Andrews is a prosperous and industrious farmer of South Creek township, and pays special attention to dairying, having a fine stock of "grades." He has the entire confidence of his fellow-citizens, and has held the offices of auditor and school director, and is at present justice of the peace, Politically be is a Democrat.
W. W. ANDREWS, blacksmith, Athens, is a native of Otsego county, N. Y., born February 19, 1830, a son of Seth and Betsey (Winton) Andrews, natives of New York. The father, who was a farmer, died in 1834, in his thirty-third year; the mother died in 1875, in her seventy-second year. W. W. Andrews, who is the fourth in a family of six children, was reared on a farm and received a common-school education. In earl y life he learned the blacksmith trade in his native place, and worked at same until 1878, when he began preaching in the Oneida Methodist Episcopal Church Conference, continuing his ministerial. work in that field ten years. When this Conference was dissolved he joined the Wyoming Conference, was superannuated in 1874,
G. M. ANGIER, proprietor of planing mill, Sayre, is a native of Worcester county, Mass., and was born May 9, 1835, a son of Austin and -Martha (Goodnow) Angier, the former a native of Massachusetts, the latter of New Hampshire. The father, who was a farmer, died in Worcester, Mass., in 1870, in his seventy-fourth year; the mother died in Sayre in 1885, in her eighty-seventh year. Grandfather John Angier was a soldier in the War of 1812. G. Al. Angier, who is the ninth in a family of ten children, completed his education, attending academy about one year. At the age of thirteen he started from home to make his own way in the world, and at seventeen commenced an apprenticeship in the sash, door and blind factory in Worcester, Mass., where be worked until the fall of 1856, when he went to Chicago, Ills., and there worked at his trade until 1857; then proceeded to Minneapolis, Minn., and remained two years; thence to Washington, D. C., where he was two years; then to Athens in the fall of 1860. After the battle of Antietam, he enlisted in the State Militia, but was out only about two weeks, when he returned to Athens. Here he was employed by Wells, Blood & Co., agricultural tool manufacturers, and remained with them until 1876. In 1878 he removed to Sayre, and took Charge of the planing mill, with which he has since been identified. Mr. Angier was married in Athens township, in 1865, to Miss Emily Delphine, daughter of Elisha and Emily (Briggs) Satterlee, natives of this county. Elisha Satterlee, who was a farmer, lumberman and coal dealer, died in Sayre, March 9, 1888, in his seventy third year. Mrs. Satterlee died in Williamsport, Pa., December 10, 1890, in her seventy-second year. Ills grandfather, Elisha Satterlee, was a colonel in the Revolutionary War, and was also in the Wyoming massacre. He was one of the pioneers in Athens. She (Emily Delphine) is the third in a family of seven children, and was born in Athens, December 25, 1843. To Mr. and Mrs. Angier was born a daughter, Anna S. Angier, now in Elmira College. The family ace members of the Baptist Church ; Mr. Angier is a member of the Knights of Honor and Iron Hall He is a Republican, and served two terms as councilman in Athens, and three years as township auditor.
PHILIP C. ANGLE, farmer, P. 0. Rummerfield, was born September 9, 1820, in Northampton county, Pa., and moved with his parents to Herrick township, this county, in 1823. His father, Martin
602 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
Angle, and mother Agnes (Casebeer) were both of good old HollandDutch descent, and both their fathers were Revolutionary soldiers. They were among the pioneer settlers of eastern Bradford, being the third family to settle in Herrick township, where they died after rearing a large family. Philip attended the district school of the neighborhood, and took one term at the Academy of Mannington, Susquehanna county, and shortly after arriving at his majority, unaided, he purchased and paid for the farm on which he has since resided. Ili 1846 he married Isabella Erskine, a daughter of John and Margaret Erskine, of Herrick, of Scotch descent. They reared six children
Aurissa, wife of John J. Spalding, the present postmaster at Towanda;
Eleazer J., an attorney at law, of the same place; Mahlon C., a farmer and stock raiser, of Herrick; Marion,- wife of Cyrus D. Camp, of Camp's Advertising and Collecting Agency, of Wilkes-Barre ;
Dr. Edward H., professor in the University of Minnesota, and dentist, of Minneapolis ;
Lillie, an accountant, of Elmira, N. Y.
Their youngest son, William, a bright boy, died when a lad of twelve years.
Mahlon C., after attaining a thorough commercial education, spent several years in mercantile pursuits, and in 1880 he returned home and purchased the homestead of his father; three years later he went to Montana and took charge of a sheep ranch, which he continued for two years when he returned home and purchased an adjoining farm which, with the old homestead, and the improvements he has since put on them forms one of the best and most productive upland farms in the county, containing two hundred and thirty acres. Mr. Angle has been for some years one of the best dairymen and raisers of well-bred stock In the count . In 1889, he married Emma daughter of E. W. Neal, of Liberty Corners.
E. J. ANGLE, of the firm of McPherson & Angle, attorneys at law, Towanda, and attorneys for Bradford county, is a native of Herrick township, this county, born March 22, 1849, and is a son of Philip C. and Isabella (Erskine) Angle; the fattier of Northampton county, Pa., and the mother of Ireland, agriculturists. His great-grandfather, William Angle, came from Holland to America in 1736, in company with two brothers, John and Paul ; the two latter stopped in Belvidere, Warren Co., N. J., while William proceeded to Bucks county, Pa., where he became a yeoman and reared a large and respectable family.
His fifth son was Martin, the father of Philip C., who migrated to Northampton county, and from there to this county in 1824. There were seventeen children in Martin's family, of whom Philip C. was the youn gest son, and was aged four when his parents brought him to Herrick, this county. It seems that in the branches of this family, going back to the three brothers who came to this country, there arose different ways of spelling the name, and, as now, there are those who spell it Engle, while others retain the spelling Angle, the manner retained by William, mentioned above, and all his branches of thefamily. Philip C. AngIe is one of the prominent and leading farmers of Herrick township ; has a family of six children, of whom E. J. Angle is the eldest son. E. J. spent his first youth on his fattier's farm and passed through the neighborhood schools and was then sent to the State
WILLIAM ANTISDEL, retired farmer, Warren, was born in 0 county, N. Y., January 14, 1821, and is a son of Phenias and Dorcas (Fenton) Antisdel, farmers, natives of Connecticut, and of English descent. Phenias came to this county in 1827, locating, in the wilds of Warren township, and was among the noted early pioneers; be cut out the road leading from West Warren to Towanda. He made this his home until his death in 1861, aged eighty-five ; his widow died in 1862 ; they reared eight children, of whom William was the sixth, who grew to his majority on the old homestead, on which he now resides, a beautiful farm of one hundred acres, with all modern improvements, buildings, and in a high state of cultivation. William Antisdel was married in Rome township to Charlotte M. Hill, daughter of John H. and Ruth (Butler) Hill. To them were born three children, as follows: Charlotte E., (.Mrs. S. E. Bowen); William D., a farmer, of Warren township, and John B., a farmer of same place. Mr. Antisdel is a Republican in his party affiliations. He has lived among his present neighbors a long, useful and honorable life, and is one of the much esteemed men of Bradford county.
HENRY W. AREY, farmer, P. 0. Wilmot, was born in Terry township, this county, July 2, 1855, and is a son of Richard and Celenda (Thompson) Arey, the former a native of England and the latter of Pennsylvania, both of English lineage. The subject of these lines began life for himself working, on a farm at the age of twenty-two. and three years later he purchased his present home of one hundred and six acres. Mr. Arey was married July 4, 1878, to Miss Lydia, dau ghter of Henry and Harriet (Bloof) Mann, of Terry, and they have one child, Elmer G., born November 14, 1879. Mr. Arey in politics is a Republican, and is school director in his township.
JAMES L. AREY, merchant and postmaster, Wilmot, was born in Sullivan county, Pa., January 13, 1866, and was educated in the common schools. he commenced life for himself at the age of seventeen in the mining business, at Hazleton, Pa., where he remained one year, and then removed to Dushore, same State, and engaged in the car
604 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
penter's trade, which he followed about four years ; then went to Lopez, same State, where he was interested in real estate speculation, and was also foreman in the Lopez Lumber and Kindling-wood Factory. In the Spring of 1890 be came to Wilmot, and opened a general store where he is now doing a thriving business. Mr. Arey was married March 26, 1890, to Miss Alice, daughter of Edward and Nancy (AlePherson) Meeks, of Wilmot. Politically he is a Republican, and was commissioned postmaster at Wilmot, March 7, 1891.
A. ARMSTRONG, proprietor of the Ulster mills, Ulster, was born in the north of Ireland, September, I '1, 1834, the son of David and Margaret Armstrong, both natives of the north of Ireland, but of Scotch descent. He received his early education in the schools of Ireland, and when fourteen years old came with his brothers and sisters to America, and located at Watertown, N. Y. Ills father's family consisted of nine children, of whom two (tied in the old country, and of those who came to the United States our subject is the eldest boy, and the only one of the family to come to Bradford county. He had learned the trade of miller under his father, and first came to this county in the spring of 1881, locating at Towanda in the position of foreman of the Dayton mill, occupying that position four years ; then formed a partnership with a Mr. Hagerman and rented the mill on Towanda creek, conducting the same three years. April 1, 1890, he obtained possession of the Ulster mill, the only one in the township; it has nine sets of rolls and two run of stone, the roller process and a capacity of thirty-five barrels every twenty-four hours, and of corn and feed fifteen tons; it is operated day and night. Mr. Armstrong has built up a good trade, has now all the mill can do, and has been compelled to increase its capacity by putting in another set of rolls. He was married May 27, 1857, to M. M. Hanna, daughter of Samuel Hanna, of Cape Vincent, N. Y., and the children of this marriage were as follows: Alexander, died in infancy ; Francis .J., engineer, married to Nellie Abbie and lives in Brookfield, Mo.; Florence C., married to William 11. Burton, a jeweler of Chicago, and Charles D., who with his father, is engaged in the milling business. Mr. Armstrong and family are members of the Episcopal Church ; be is a Master Mason, a member of Towanda Lodge, No. 128; politically his views are Democratic.
GEORGE B. ARMSTRONG, a, popular druggist, of Troy, Pa., was born in McEwensville, Northumberland Co., Pa., August 10, 1847, a, son of James T. and Mary (Reader) Armstrong, and is of Scotch descent. He was reared in his native town and Lock Haven, Pa., and received an academical education at Look Haven, where he served an apprenticeship of two and one-half years at the druggist business. On August 17, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, One Hundred and Thirtyfirst 1. V. I., and served ten months, when he was honorably discharged, Time 15, 1863; he re-enlisted in Company I, Twenty-eight 1'. V. I., and, after three months' service, was honorably discharged oil account of disability. He participated in the battles of Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and during the Peninsular campaign under McClellan was on detached duty as hospital steward. After his discharge, he returned to Lock Haven, read medicine with his brother, Dr. It.
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY. 605
Armstrong, two years, and for five years was clerk in Lock Haven drug store. In 1869 he embarked in business for himself at Lock Haven, continuing four years; in December, 1873, he went on the road as salesman for a -New York. drug house, and served. in that capacity ten years. On October 22, 1883, he again embarked in the drug business in Troy, Pa., where he has since continued and built up a successful trade. He married April 13, 1869, Emma C., daughter of Curtis T. and Sarah L. (Robinson) Fitch. Mr. Armstrong is a member of Trojan Lodge, No. 306, F. & A. Al.; R. A. Al., Chapter No. 261, Troy, and Commandery K. T., No. 64, Canton; also of Gustin Post, No. 1.54, G. A. It., Troy, of which he is present Commander,; politically he is a Republican.
WILLIAM E. ARMSTRONG, Litchfield, was born in Poughkeepsie, Dutchess Co., -N. Y., January 5, 1822, a son of Joshua and Susan (Hong) Armstrong, natives of -New York, former of whom was a farmer, and spent the greater portion of his life in Allegany county N. Y.; he was a soldier in the War of 1812, and received a bounty warrant, his widow received a pension after his death. In their family were seven children-two girls and live boys-four of whom are yet living): Albert AV., married to Lucinda Bartlette ; Alfred H., married to Caroline Bartlette ; Luther H., married to Amanda Ward
William E. (subject) and Martha Jane, George 11. and Rebecca (deceased). William E. was reared on his father's farm, receiving his early education in the common schools. and later attending the Alfred Academy one year. At the age of sixteen he commenced teaching school, which profession he followed continuously for seven years, after which he engaged in the grocery business at Angelica, N. Y., for four years. In the spring of 1849 he removed to Wellsville, Allegany Co., N. Y., and engaged in the grocery business for a period of ten years; and then followed farming eight years; removed to Waverly, N. Y., 1871 came to Litchfield, where be purchased the store he now occupies, carrying a general stock of merchandise. He has been post master sixteen years, excepting three years during the administration of President Cleveland. Air. Armstrong married, for his first wife, Elizabeth M. Rice, or Whitesville, Alleghany Co., N. Y., in 1862; she was the daugliter of Alexander and Sarah (Jones) Rice, natives of Vermont. Mr. Armstrong's present wife is Augusta B. (Morse), whom he married in 1869. To them has been born one child, Albert Al., born in Litchfield in 1873. Mr. Armstrong has attained three degrees in Masonry, and is a member of Waverly Lodge, No. 104. In politics he is a, Republican, and has been a member of that party since its organization, having voted for its first candidate, John C. Fremont.
CORINGTON T. ARNOLD, farmer, Windham township, P. O. Nichols, N. Y., is a Native of Bradford county,, born in Warren township, May 16, 1840, son of Benedict and Lucy (Billings) Arnold, natives of Pennsylvania. Benedict Arnold was the first white child to see the light in Warren township, and was born in the year 1800 ; he was a farmer and died in 1889, the father of twelve children or whom Corington T. is the tenth. He became a farmer in early life, and in 1864 he enlisted in the Fifth New York Cavalry, Company F, First