History of Bradford County, Pennsylvania with Biographical Sketches
By H. C. Bradsby, 1891
WARREN is the northeast corner township of Bradford county. Its surface is very uneven, but at the same time there is but a small portion not susceptible of cultivation. The timber is principally hemlock, birch, beech and maple, with some basswood, pine, cherry and ash. The soil is gravel and loam. The streams which drain the waters to the Susquehanna rise here. They afford good waterpower for running machinery on a small scale. The crops consist of wheat, rye, oats, barley, corn. potatoes, grass and flax, potatoes leading
In 1798, James Bowen, William Arnold, Mr. Harding and Thomas Gibson came into Warren, then known as "Martell," and made a clearing on the south branch of the Wappasening creek, at a place called for many years 11 the old clearing-." But they found they were not on the tract of land they bad designed settling on, and after obtaining their first crop they abandoned g it and went farther north, to a place which has been known ever since as 11 Bowen Hollow," where James Bowen built a gristmill on the middle branch of the Wappasening. Eliphalet Mason, son of Ebenezer and Mary Mason, came to Warren in 1802,
In the spring of 1800, Capt. Ebenezer and Jonathan Coburn, brothers, came with their sons, from Connecticut and bought under Connecticut, title 23,040 acres or land. and made a clearing on the same farm where they lived and died. On their arrival at Martell they found Bowen, Arnold, Fairbanks and Gibson, who had moved in with
HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY. 545
their families the season before, and made clearings. Seneca Allyn, now living in Warren, says he went with a horse to the Wysox flats, thence up the river to Owego, before he could find any grain that he could buy; and he bought two bushels of wheat, put it into a skiff, because there was no way to get his horse across the river. He then took the grain on his shoulders and carried it two and a half miles to get it ground, then shouldered it again and brought it back to the river, where his horse was left fasting, for the very good reason that he could get nothing for him to eat.
William Arnold and Elizabeth, his wife, came from Massachusetts, in the year 1799. They brought with them three sons, James, William and Andrew-all of whom lived to be aged men, and reared families. Elizabeth Arnold diedin Warren when fifty years of age, about the year 1801. Her husband died about seventeen years after, sixty-two years of age.
During the summer or fall of 1800 the first white child was born in Warren, a son of James Bowen, and was christened Harry ; a few weeks later Benedict Arnold was born, and August 10, 1801, A. S. Coburn, son of Parley Coburn.
In 180-1 there were the following taxables, viz.: William Arnold, J. Bowen, Henry Billings, Ebenezer Coburn, Parley Coburn, Jonathan Coburn, Moses Coburn, Jr., Amos Coburn, Payson Corbin, Thomas Gibson, Ebenezer Lee and Roswell Lee.
The Armstrongs came in as 'late as 1817 or 1818. Joseph lived on the turnpike, near Alexander Dewing's. Mrs. Dewing had by her first husband four sons, Jeremiah, Andrew, Alexander and Edward. Jeremiah was a Presbyterian preacher, and had a son, Thomas S.
Luther Buffington lived in the Bowen neighborhood. Preserved Buffington, from Providence, R. I., was a brother of Airs. William Arnold, and came from the same neighborhood. he lived in South Warren, on the farm Samuel Chaffe now lives on. His sons were: Luther, Calvin and Benjamin. A daughter, Sally, married Livingston Jenks. He lived on a farm now occupied by Esquire Burbank. He had a store and did trading for some years. He had a large family of children. he was justice or the peace for a number of years. Capt. Case also was a settler in the township. He had a son. Benjamin, who was a lawyer, and married a sister of Andrew Coburn, and Andrew Coburn married his sister.
Nathan Young married a Merrill. Came to Warren in 1815, and settled on the turnpike, a short distance from Alexander Dewing's. He had two sons, Nathan and Oscar F. Mr. Merrill 'moved into the county with Mr. Young, and lived near him. Thomas and Oliver Corbin were sons of Clement. Samuel Griswold was their nearest neighbor.
Jacob Burbank married a sister of Oliver Corbin. I I e came f rom Vermont to Warren as a young man in ISM, and boarded with Oliver Corbin. He bought the farm which joined Mr. Allyn. His first farm joined Mr. Corbin,, and he lived there until his wife died, and then bought the other. A Mr. Billings' lived neat, Mr. Cooper, and
546 HISTORY OF BRADFORD COUNTY.
was an early comer in that neighborhood. Oliver Cooper married a Steinberg.
Abel and Joseph Prince were brothers, and lived in the southern part of the township. They came after 1810. George Pendleton came to Warren about 1814. In 1802 James Bowen built a gristmill on the Middle branch of the Wappasening, near the center of the town.
In 1803, William Arnold and Mr. Harding went to Sheshequin to procure meat; they purchased one hundred pounds of pork, divided it equally, and started for home. Snow having fallen to some depth, and there being no track, Mr. Harding gave out when not far from where Potterville now is. Mr. Arnold left him to obtain help, but when help came they found him a stiffened corpse.
The first school was taught by R. Lee, in 1807. The first death of an adult by disease was that of Theda Corbin. Amos Coburn built the first framed house, and had the first 11 house warming "
The first church erected in the township was of the Presbyterian denomination, in 1832. In 1816, the Congregational Church was g organized with fourteen members, of whom. eight lived in Warren, the rest in Orwell. At a very early date a Baptist Society was organized at Warren; they were called "Old-School Baptists." In 1844 a New-School Baptist Church was organized at Warren Centre. In 1841 a Free Will Baptist Church was organized at the same point.
Alfred Allyn lived on the road to Pike, about two miles from Oliver Corbin's. Among other early settlers who followed close in the wake of those already mentioned we may name Charles and Robert Sutton, Isaac Van Brunt, Samuel Mason, Lewis Barton, Samuel Mapes. Amos Coburn built the first framed house in Warren.
South Warren has one store. Centre has two stores and one grist mill. West Warren has one store