| Subj: Re: Chapman Family
Date: 09/03/2003 6:59:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From: firstname.lastname@example.org (Mike & Jenny Chapman)
The Chapman Grist Mill
Oscar E Chapman started the mill in 1919 and was located on the site
of the present grocery store on Route 223 the main road through Erin Center
and the first road to be hard surfaced from the Erin Baptist Church to
Horseheads. The mill was torn down in the 50's when there were no longer
any grain farmers left and the mill wasn't needed anymore. The Rodburn
Manson stood on the corner across form the Baptist church and was pretty
majestic for the time and area. Percy got the house after living on his
farm off Fairview Rd.; he swapped the farm 2 cows and a tractor for the
house. The house burned to the ground March 4th 1948 according to Percy.
Long before he got the house the previous owners had disconnected the Carbide
light system from the house and left the tank in the ground and just happen
to rust through in 48 and was sparked by the water pump kicking in and
the fire spread through the air vents and up the inside of the walls.
According to Percy A Chapman.