Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Troy Township & Borough,
Bradford County PA
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Businesses of the Tri-Counties
Pomeroy Brothers of Troy and
Their Predecessor Businesses
Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
||Do You Know that you can search just the
Business pages of the site by using the Business button in the Partitioned search
engine at the bottom of the Current
What's New Page? You will also find extensive business information
in the Directory section.
In the death of this prominent person, our town
lost a man who for many years has been one of its most active and widely
known citizens. The head of well known banking firm of POMEROY Brothers,
he had business relations with men in all parts of the state, and in whatever
relation he was known, he was highly and deservedly esteemed.
D. F. POMEROY was the oldest son Col. I. N. POMEROY
and was born in Genoa, Cayuga Co. NY; Feb. 27th, 1816. The next year,
Col. POMEROY removed with his family this place. After running a
woolen mill for some years, he began keeping a public house, which soon
became a favorite stopping place for travelers. Daniel was a bright,
active lad, whose helpful ways often attracted the attention of persons
traveling on the stage from Elmira to Williamsport, for Col. POMEROY'S
house was a favorite stopping place. One of these travelers Mr. H.
W. CAMP, a merchant of Owego, NY, proposed to take the boy into his service,
and accordingly when about sixteen years of age, he began the first round
of the ladder, as clerk and boy of all work. On his leaving home,
his sole aquirement being a tolerable common school education, he received
from his father a piece of advice which he acted upon through his life;
and which we commend to all boys who are commuting life for themselves
"Do Right!" It was the foundation of his success.
He remained in the service of Mr. CAMP about four or five
years, his brother Samuel being employed in another store in the same town
and his brother Horace going there about the time of his return to this
town. On coming to Troy he began as a clerk for GILLETT& Cone
with G. F. REDINGTON as a fellow clerk. After about a year, Mr. REDINGTON
purchased interest of one of his partners, and Mr. POMEROY remained in
their employ some years. Col. POMEROY then put up a store on the
site of that now occupied by HERRICK & HOVEY, and Daniel formed a partnership
with Mr. REDINGTON under the name of POMEROY& REDINGTON, and moved
into it. After awhile S. W. POMEROY joined the firm, and HORACE
POMEROY was employed as clerk. This was about 1841.
The firm of POMEROY&REDINGTON continued doing a large
business until 1844, when Mr. REDINGTON withdrew, and Horace POMEROY was
taken into the firm, which now assumed the name of S. W. and D. F. POMEROY
& Co. They rebuilt did a very large business in dry goods and
groceries till 1848, when they were burned out in the great fire of that
year. They rebuilt and for ten years carried on business more extensively
that ever. Again in the big fire of 1858, they were burned out, and
again they rebuilt and continued business till September 1860, when they
sold out to the firm of GOODRICH,NEWBERY&PECK. The firm
for many years had kept large deposits in New York, and sold drafts on
the New York banks. This business grew to such an extent that
in 1860 they opened a banking house under the name of POMEROY Brothers.
In 1868, they erected the present beautiful bank, the interior of which
was consumed by fire in 1869.
There have been few men who have been more happy in their
business relations that the firm of POMEROY Brothers, or more successful.
As a curious illustration their confidence in each other, we informed that
for many the firm never kept any books of account between themselves/
Daniel POMEROY was an unobtrusive and certain friend to
the poor, never denying appeal for assistance, and his efficient kindness
to those in sickness and distress was proverbial.
Mr. POMEROY was twice married; first to Jane TYLER daughter
of Francis TYLER of Athens, March 17th, 1841. She died leaving one
child, Mrs Fanny RICHARDSON, now living. He was again married Sept.
12th, 1868, to Brunette, daughter of Hon. Dummer Lilley, of Sylvania.
He leaves her and a bright little boy to mourn the kind and loving husband
The funeral took place at the Presbyterian church in this
borough, on Thursday April 11th, at two O'clock p.m. the sermon by Rev.
E H. CAMP. The text chosen was appropriate one, and one which Mr.
POMEROY well illustrated in his life; " A good mane is better than great
The funeral was attended by a large concourse of people,
very many of whom came to mourn sincerely for a friend lost.
Strong, clear headed and impulsive, Mr. POMEROY was ,
through out his life a peacemaker, and a friend of the poor, and many a
person has blessed his bounty which he gave with a generous, sympathetic
hand. He was a man who always had friends and deserved them.
Justice, kindness and helpfulness were strong points in his character and
successful as he was in the accumulation of wealth, his highest success
was in gaining the love and respect of his friends and acquaintances.
You are the
visitor since the counter was installed on November 18, 2000