Tri-Counties Genealogy & History by Joyce M. Tice
Elk Run Methodist Church, Sullivan Township, Tioga County PA
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Tri-County Genealogy & History Sites Home Page
How to Use This Site
Sullivan Township Page
Warning & Disclaimer
No Unauthorized Commercial Use
Say Hello to  Joyce
Retyped for Tri-Counties by Christine Keel
Since my mother, Marcella MILLER Tice, was the last recording secretary of this organization before the church was closed, I have all the scrapbooks and some of the minutes of the group. 
Photo about 1955 of W.S.C.S. members on an outing with Mr. Roe.
Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
Do You Know that you can search just the 250 pages of Church Records and Histories on the site by using the Churches button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of the Current What's New Page? .
Elk Run W.S.C.S.
1939 Church Directory
1864-1964 Centennial Program
Elk Run Methodist Church History 1864-1964
Early Church Records 1857-1877



In every live and progressive Church there are those, sometimes referred to as the weaker sex, who undergird the work of the local church and mission of Christ’s kingdom by lending a helping hand wherever possible.

For many years in the past the women’s group was known as the Ladies Aid Society. They did just what the name implies; gave aid to the Church and to those in need in the community.

In 1940, however, the Ladies Aid and Women’s Home and Foreign Missionary Societies throughout our country were combined under one name called the Women’s Society of Christian Service. This grew until in 1950 it became the largest international organization for women in the world.

Rev. Homer Cole conducted the charter meeting at Elk Run on September 22, 1940 with fifteen women attending the meeting. Other names were added the first year making the list of charter members and officers as follows: {Note from Joyce- Most of these women are listed here under their married alias names only. I am adding columns to record their real names} This organization later became U.M.W. United Methodist Women.

Mollie Beardslee Coleman Nellie Mudge – Recording Secy McCarty
Jennie Hager Leiby Erma Smith unm. 1940
Loretta Welch – 3rd Vice Pres. Heyler Nellie Tears Williams
Savilla Marsh ? Florence Tice – Secy. Religious Lit. Sherman
Shirley Smith – 2nd Vice Pres. Beardslee Nettie Sherman Richmond
Carrie Beardslee – 1st Vice Pres. McConnell Ella Tice Marshall
Doris Williams - President Connelly Ella Smith Ryan
Martha Webster ? Girtie Smith ?
Nettie Tears Richmond Nellie Robbins Allen
Addie Garrison Mudge Stella Bryant Barnard
Edith Osgood Mudge Paulina Ward Smith
Myrtle Van Ness Knapp Dorothy Smith unm.
Idella York Ashley Genevieve Smith unm.
Lizzie Watkins Monro Ella Bardwell Gardner
Stella York Page Doris Ripley Welch
Lois McConnell Zimerman Ruth Mudge Holly
Charlotte Brace - Treasurer Updyke Daisy Hart Griffen
Ada Updyke Smith Maud Barr Mortensen
Florence Garrison Hulslander Nellie Sheffield ?
Iva Rumsey Moore Gladys Robbins Campbell
Anna Wood unm. Grace Robbins Rinebold
Iva Sherman Smith Eunice Hulslander Craig

The aim was to have an afternoon meeting the second Thursday of each month. This has been the regular meeting date since that time. At the first meeting they also voted to assume all of the local church expenses and pay $5.00 a month on the minister’s salary. Years later the bulk of the expense was paid through the regular church membership.

Many changes have taken place and bits of historical information connected with the Elk Run Church have been revealed through the keeping of the secretary’s records in the Women’s Society of Christian Service.

The Annual bazaar, back in earlier days called the church fair, has been a homecoming for former residents and church members for many years. It is interesting to note that at the one held on November 30, 1940 the price of the full course dinner was $.35 for adults and $.15 for children. The expenses were $7.20 for meat and $1.20 for twenty loaves of bread at $.06 a loaf.

The lighting was done by the use of oil lamps until 1941 when the church was wired for electricity at a cost of $28.00 including the inspection and the large fixtures in the sanctuary that are in use today.

The heatrola, purchased second hand for $13.00 including the stove pipe, replaced the former old round heating stove. Many years before two had been used; one on each side of the church. Services were held in the afternoon during the winter. In former years they were held afternoons the year around.

Anxious days were in store for our community as the war drew some of our local boys into the service. These included James Robbins, Maurice Rumsey, Homer and Leslie Tice, Robert Smith, Junior Garrison and Billie Van Ness. It was then that the Christian and American flags were purchased.

Carrie Beardslee was elected president in January, 1945 and continued to serve faithfully in the same office for four and one half years; the longest any one has served.

It was during those years that our church building started to expand by the addition of a new kitchen on the ground floor with new Sunday School rooms above it. Rev. Allan Sours was the minister at the time.

The oil furnace, purchased with donations from church members and friends in the community as well as money from quilting quilts, etc., replaced the old heatrola. Much work and interest by both men and women completed the equipment and decorating of the new addition.

In 1947 the women took the responsibility of providing special music and flowers each Sunday for the worship service. Each woman took her turn until about the year 1956. Then Lois McConnell, one of our very loyal members, furnished the flowers as long as she lived. Since then fresh flowers have been provided each Sunday through the Lois McConnell Memorial Fund.

Between the years 1950 and 1955 the pulpit was moved from the center to one side of the platform focusing more attention on the cross and communion table rather than the speaker. During that time kneeling pads, a dossal curtain and wine colored runner improved the appearance inside an d shrubbery was planted to beautify the grounds outside.

From 1955 to 1960 more properties were added including the large folding door in the Sunday School rooms and the new pulpit chairs made by Lee Tice. The organ was also changed by being electrified with an electric motor.

The last four years of our history have been equally eventful in the interest and work of the congregation. Interior painting and new choir chairs have changed the appearance of the sanctuary and the last improvement, but by far not the least, is the addition of the new entrance to our church.

It is with thankful hearts and acknowledgement of the work of God through His people that we have this landmark and this Centennial Celebration.

Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA

Published On Tri-Counties Site On 12 JAN 2003 
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M. Tice

You are the  visitor since the counter was installed on 12  JAN 2003