Tri-Counties Genealogy &
History by Joyce M. Tice
Churches and Church Records
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
History of Liberty's East
Point "Ebenezer" Church, Tioga County PA
Point church history, copied by gary parker
Joyce's Search Tip - January 2008
||Do You Know that you can search just the
250 pages of Church Records and Histories on the site by using the
Churches button in the Partitioned search engine at the bottom of
the Current What's New Page?
9:27:22 AM Eastern Daylight Time
(gary & theresa parker)
OF THE EAST POINT CHURCH “EBENZER”
from the 75th Anniversary Homecoming Bulletin, August 9, 1970
history written by Wm H Krise, 1956
by Gary Parker
of the early German settlers came to the western part of Liberty Township
in 1830. The Frederick Harer and John Beiser families were among the first
to settle in this area.
John Seybert, traveling to New York State and Canada found open doors of
service in Blooming Grove, Lycoming County and Blockhouse, Tioga County.
Samuel Hartman, Blockhouse was the first to receive the Bishop into his
home. Michael Sindlinger also opened his home for services and during the
next conference year Bishop Seybert stationed Reverend Barber on this charge.
Among the first families to become associated with the movement were Hartman,
Harer, Beiser, Roupp, Sindlinger, Schanbacher, Dier, Gloeckler, Landis,
and Diebler. At these visits class meetings were held. John Sindlinger
was elected leader. In 1832 he entered the ministry and later became one
of the first presiding elders of the Evangelical Association. Eight years
later Michael Sindlinger , brother of John, entered the ministry.
Feb. 26, 1855 a plot of land was given by Jacob Gloeckler and his wife
to the trustees for the erection of a church called the Bethlehm Evangelical
Church. This served its purpose for 31 years. This church was located where
the present old blacksmith shop now stands. On the site where the hall
now stands, Peter Scheik erected a blacksmith shop. In this shop was established
the first post office. Peter Scheik gave East Point its name and was its
first postmaster. This was established about 1875.
1895 the Ebenezer Evangelical Church (now the Ebenezer United Methodist
Church) was built. The trustees and pastor met in September, 1894, to consider
the building of the church. Over $1000 was subscribed in 20 minutes. One-half
acre of land was purchased from Charles Gloeckler. A building committee
consisting of Daniel Boger, William Roupp, J.J. Schanbacher and Hollis
Taylor, Canton builder and contractor, submitted plans for the building
which were accepted.
church at East Point was founded by a Board of Trustees and the pastor,
the reverend W.H.Stover, father of the late Harry Stover, Canton. A charter
was granted in 1895 by Judge Mitchell to the trustees of the church, the
same to be known as the Ebenezer Evangelical Church. The dedication service
was held August 11, 1895. The church was dedicated debt free, the building
costing $3000, and had a membership of 94. The Reverend W.E.Detwiler, District
Superintendent was the speaker.
is interesting to note the labor involved in the construction of the church.
Large foundation and finishing stones were hewn out one large rock on Briar
Hill. The mason work was done by Bruce Tarbox, Charles Adaing, and Reese
Dibble. The rough lumber was sawed at the Roupp and Hallett Mill. The church
bell was cast by the McShane Bell Foundry Company and bears the inscription—“The
God of heaven, he will prosper us; therefore, we his servants will arise
and build.” Nehemiah 2:20. An organ was purchased by individual subscription
secured by the faithful solicitation of Leonard Harer, 86 years old.
large group gathered for the laying of the corner stone. A small vault
constructed in the center of the corner stone contains a Bible, an Evangelical
paper and a five dollar bill. These were cemented in the vault during the
laying of the corner stone at which time the Rev. W.E.Detwiler was the
better caption could we use 75 years later than “ Faith of Our Fathers”
to describe the continuing growth of the church as ministers and congregation
have worked together to keep pace with the growing need of our community.
changes have taken place over the years. In 1937 the East Point Church
was united with the Grover Charge, with the Pastor residing in Grover,
the parsonage here, built in 1905, no longer needed for the Pastor was
rented for several years, and unfortunately burned July 2, 1954.The East
Point school property which adjoins the present hall property was purchased
by the Trustees, in the name of the Ebenezer Evangelical United Brethern
Church at a duly authorized public sale April 1 ,1958at the cost of $250.
The school building has been sold for $75 to Willard Beck and is to be
removed from the premises.
the early fifties the basement of the church was enlarged to provide space
for two Sunday School rooms that are used by the Kindergarten and Primary
groups, other projects were floor covering in 1958 and repair of the steeple
in 1961. In 1963 we were transferred from the Grover Charge to Liberty
Charge with the Pastor residing in Liberty.
organ was purchased in 1966 and paid largely by individual subscription.
The next major project was in 1967 when aluminum siding was installed on
three sides of the church.
following improvements to the church structure and grounds were given in
loving memory, the Bulletin Board, shrubbery, redecoration of vestibule,
including paneling, doors, carpeting and lighting both inside and out,
and the completion of the siding on the rear of the church.
WHO HAVE SERVED
G. Hoover 1956-1960
1965-1970 (date of this bulletin)
Bradford County PA
Chemung County NY
Tioga County PA
Published On Tri-Counties Site On 01 OCT 2004
By Joyce M. Tice
Email Joyce M. Tice
You are the
visitor since the counter was installed on 01 OCT 2004